[Drama 2021] Idol- The Coup, IDOL (아이돌 : The Coup)

larus

Drama 'IDOL (Idol: The Coup)' Ahn Hee-yeon, Ahn Sol-bin, Han So-eun, Chu So-jung, Kim Ji-won, 24 hour peek at the girls who united as a girl group

NISI20211020_0000850818_web.jpg?rnd=2021

In ‘IDOL (Idol: The Coup)’, the daily life of the girl group Cotton Candy was revealed, stimulating curiosity with an unusual team atmosphere.

JTBC's new Monday-Tuesday drama 'IDOL (Idol: The Coup)', which will be broadcast for the first time at 11 pm on Monday, November 8 ) is a very special guide for those who cannot part with their failed dreams.

Ahn Hee-yeon (Jena), who will transform into a girl group leader, Ahn Sol-bin (Hyeon-ji), Han So-eun (Stella), Chu So-jeong (L), and Kim Ji-won (Chae-ah) are breathing as idol Cotton Candy in the play. Stills containing the daily life of the people inspire curiosity.

In the published photos, there are glimpses of the life radius of the 6-year-old girl group, including the dormitory where they live together, the practice room, and the stage. Their daily life, which should be dazzling under the splendid lighting under the hot spotlight, looks somewhat helpless and shady.

https://newsis.com/view/?id=NISX20211020_0001620768&cID=10601&pID=10600

“IDOL: The Coup” Hints At Conflict Between EXID’s Hani, WJSN’s Exy, LABOUM’s Solbin, And More In New Sneak Peek

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 20, 2021
by E. Cha

JTBC’s upcoming drama “IDOL: The Coup” has shared an intriguing new glimpse of its girl group Cotton Candy!

“IDOL: The Coup” is a new drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. The cast will include Kwak Si Yang, EXID’s Hani, Kim Min Kyu, LABOUM’s Solbin, WJSN’s Exy, Lee Eun Sang, Hong Eun Ki, Jo Joon Young, Redsquare’s Green, Han So Eun, and Baek Seo Hoo.

Newly released stills from the drama offer a look inside the everyday life of fictional girl group Cotton Candy, which consists of leader Jenna (Hani), Hyunji (Solbin), Stella (Han So Eun), El (Exy), and ChaeA (Green). Cotton Candy is widely considered a failure because, despite being in the sixth year of their career, the public still doesn’t know their names—and the stress seems to have gotten to the members over time.

While some of the photos capture the excitement of Cotton Candy heading on stage or the relaxed, tight-knit bond between the bandmates as they work together in the practice room, other photos hint at the unseen conflicts between the members. One photo features Jenna and Stella glaring fiercely at someone, while others suggest that some of the group members may be hiding secrets: while hanging out with her bandmates at home, Hyunji turns away to furtively check her phone, and El appears worried as she suspiciously sneaks off to do something on her own.

IDOL-The-Coup-2.jpg

Hani.jpg

Spoiler

IDOL-The-Coup-3.jpg

Hani-Han-So-Eun.jpg

Solbin.jpg

Exy.jpg

The producers of “IDOL: The Coup” teased, “Each and every one of the Cotton Candy members has her own story. Please look forward to seeing how those personal stories affect Cotton Candy as a group.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1494525wpp/idol-the-coup-hints-at-conflict-between-exids-hani-wjsns-exy-laboums-solbin-and-more-in-new-sneak-peek

Idol' Ahn Hee-yeon → Ahn Sol-bin, 5 people, 5 colors, attractive close-up poster released

http://www.topdaily.kr/news/photo/202110/121479_97291_318.jpg

Top Daily Reporter Seo Sang-hyun = In 'IDOL [Idol: The Coup]', a poster that captures the charm of the girl group Cotton Candy has been released.

JTBC's new Monday-Tuesday drama 'IDOL [Idol: The Coup]', which will be broadcast for the first time at 11 pm on Monday, November 8 ) is a very special guide for those who can't part with their failed dreams and tells the story of young people who confidently resign their dreams.

In particular, it is becoming a hot topic every day in that it newly solves the challenges of youth who have experienced failure with the subject of 'mandol (broken idol)'. In the midst of this, a close-up poster featuring the chemistry of Ahn Hee-yeon (Jenna), Ahn Sol-bin (Hyeon-ji), Han So-eun (Stella), Chu So-jeong (L), and Kim Ji-won (Chae-ah), who gathered as a mandol cotton candy in the 6th year of their debut in the play. is released and attracts the attention of the viewers.

The faces of the girls gathered in one place in the poster have various expressions ranging from a bright smile to a charismatic figure, suggesting the personality of the characters with strong personalities. In their natural appearance, such as leaning on each other or putting their hands on their shoulders, you can feel solid teamwork, like seeing a real girl group.

Above all else, the phrase “I will disband with first place”, which received attention in the teaser poster earlier, continues to amplify curiosity. I wonder what was the reason for the sudden disbandment of those who have been running towards their dreams for a long time. In addition, curiosity is focused on what kind of steps the 'Mandol' Cotton Candy will show in order to achieve the distant dream of 'No.1'.

http://www.topdaily.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=121479

JTBC Drama “IDOL: The Coup” Unveils Comeback Schedules For Fictional Idol Groups Cotton Candy And Mars

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 22, 2021
by C. Hong

JTBC’s “IDOL: The Coup” has announced a “comeback schedule” for its fictional idol groups, Cotton Candy and Mars!

“IDOL: The Coup” is an upcoming drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. Kwak Si Yang stars as Cha Jae Hyuk, the CEO of Starpeace Entertainment, which houses idol groups Cotton Candy and Mars.

EXID’s Hani, LABOUM’s Solbin, WJSN’s Exy, Redsquare’s Green, and Han So Eun star as the five members of Cotton Candy, a girl group who has been active for six years without finding success. Kim Min Kyu, Lee Eun Sang, Hong Eun Ki, Jo Joon Young, and Baek Seo Hoo star as the five members of Mars, a popular boy group.

According to the “comeback” schedules, Mars will be releasing their third album “Cloud 9” on November 1. There will be a highlight audio teaser released on October 31. The schedule includes the premiere date of “IDOL: The Coup” on November 8, suggesting that the actors will actually release a record together for the show.

mars-idol-the-coup.jpg

mars-idol-the-coup.jpg

Unlike “real” idol groups who share an agency, Cotton Candy and Mars are releasing their “albums” on the same date, with Cotton Candy’s first album “White Day” also scheduled for a November 1 release and an October 31 audio teaser.

cotton-candy-idol-the-coup.jpg

Stay tuned for updates and check out the first look at Cotton Candy and Mars here!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1494853wpp/jtbc-drama-idol-the-coup-unveils-comeback-schedules-for-fictional-idol-groups-cotton-candy-and-mars

• Like 1

Watch: “IDOL: The Coup” Shares A Glimpse Of The Struggles Idols Go Through To Survive In New Teaser

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 25, 2021
by L. Kim

JTBC has unveiled a new teaser for its upcoming drama “IDOL: The Coup”!

“IDOL: The Coup” is a new drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams.

The newly released teaser begins with the downfall of Cotton Candy, which consists of leader Jenna (EXID’s Hani), Hyunji (Solbin), Stella (Han So Eun), El (Exy), and ChaeA (Green). The captions describe them as idols who “can’t break up with their failed dream.” The girls struggle with various aspects of their lives, and they look tormented and upset as they are at loss what to do.

On the other hand, their labelmate Mars is surging with popularity, and the boy group is showered with love and attention. Leader Seo Ji Han (Kim Min Kyu) confidently asks, “What are you going to do if I calmly receive this song?” However, he too has a hard time as he is seen engaging in a tense war of nerves with Cha Jae Hyuk (Kwak Si Yang), the CEO of Starpeace Entertainment.

The members of Cotton Candy make dire efforts to achieve their dreams. Jenna’s voiceover declares, “We’ll die together. I won’t make it alone,” proving her strong desire to make it to the top with her group.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1495213wpp/watch-idol-the-coup-shares-a-glimpse-of-the-struggles-idols-go-through-to-survive-in-new-teaser

• Like 1

Teaser released for coming-of-age drama Idol: The Coup

by tineybeanie

idolthecoup0.jpg

Idol: The Coup is an upcoming drama about letting go of failed dreams as a youth. Real idols from real K-pop groups star as the five members of an unpopular, forgotten idol group called Cotton Candy. Idol-turned-actresses include EXID’s Hani (You Raise Me Up), Laboum’s Solbin (Oh! Master), Han So-eun (The Witch’s Diner), WJSN’s EXY, and Redsquare’ Green.

Kwak Shi-yang (Lovers of the Red Sky) plays the cold, calculative CEO and owner of their talent management company, Starfish. He can be seen in the newly released stills, looking mighty fine. He manages both Cotton Candy, the failed idol group, and Mas, the biggest name in K-pop at the moment. Kim Min-kyu (Pop Out Boy!) plays the leader of the boy group Mas, who seems as though he was born for the starlight, but behind the scenes we see all the hard work he’s put in for his dreams. Now at the peak of his career, he wants to express himself as an artist, but he feels like a manufactured tool of the industry. As he meets the struggling but brillant Hani, he begins to experience stimulus in his life

The teaser begins with an insight into Cotton Candy. Hani lowers her head, as Kwak Shi-yang’s voiceover describes how he sees the group: “They have talent, but lack charisma.” A member of their group is beaten down, as a girl tells her, “If you don’t have the talent, at least don’t pretend to be nice. Why are you trying to pretend to do both?” The copy says: “Failed dreams and those that can’t part with them.”

Kim Min-kyu asks, “If we take this song, what will you do for us?” Kwak Shi-yang asks hims, “For a reunion meeting, isn’t this a little harsh?” Members of Cotton Candy ask for another chance, and copy appears: “This is the beginning of the real start.” They promise that they won’t die alone, they’ll take the entire ship down with them.

JTBC Monday-Tuesday drama Idol: The Coup, written by Jung Yoon-jung (Bride of the Water God 2017, Misaeng) and directed by Noh Jong-chan (Clean With Passion for Now), will begin airing on November 8.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/10/teaser-released-for-coming-of-age-drama-idol-the-coup/

• Awesome 2

Kwak Si Yang Dishes On Working With EXID’s Hani And Kim Min Kyu For New Drama “IDOL: The Coup”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 26, 2021
by E. Cha

Kwak Si Yang has shared his thoughts on his upcoming drama “IDOL: The Coup”!

“IDOL: The Coup” is a new JTBC drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. The cast will include Kwak Si Yang, EXID’s Hani, Kim Min Kyu, LABOUM‘s Solbin, WJSN‘s Exy, former X1 member Lee Eun Sang, former RAINZ member Hong Eun Ki, Jo Joon Young, Redsquare’s Green, Han So Eun, and Baek Seo Hoo.

Kwak Si Yang will star as Cha Jae Hyuk, the CEO of the agency Starpeace Entertainment, which houses idol groups Cotton Candy and Mars. While girl group Cotton Candy and its leader Jenna (played by Hani) are still struggling to gain recognition in their sixth year, boy group Mars and its leader Ji Han (played by Kim Min Kyu) are top-tier idols who have already achieved massive popularity.

Describing why he had chosen “IDOL: The Coup” for his next project, Kwak Si Yang recalled, “I was drawn to [the role] because it was a genre and a character that I had never tried before in my acting career up until now. That’s why I really wanted to take on the challenge of playing the role of Cha Jae Hyuk no matter what.”

When asked to describe his character, Kwak Si Yang chose the keywords “cool-headed,” “calculator,” and “tsundere.” He explained, “Cha Jae Hyuk is like a cold human calculator, but he also takes care of people in a tsundere way, which I think is his charm.”

As for the physical transformations he underwent to play the role, the actor shared, “In order to create a cold character, I thought that I needed to display a neat, clean-cut exterior. We held a lot of styling meetings so that we could make [the character’s] hair and styling look as clean-cut and cold as possible.”

Kwak-Si-Yang.jpg

Despite being a renowned veteran actor, Kwak Si Yang praised his younger co-star Hani for inspiring him on set with her passion and dedication.

“Seeing Ahn Heeyeon [Hani] act so passionately really inspires me and gives me a lot of energy, and even while we’re filming, we spend a lot of time talking about how we can make the drama even more fun to watch,” said Kwak Si Yang. “I think she’s a really admirable actress, because she always makes the atmosphere on set happier and more fun when you’re acting with her.”

As for Kim Min Kyu, he remarked affectionately, “He’s like my younger brother. On set, we bicker and joke around with each other while working together as actors. Sometimes, it feels like the real Cha Jae Hyuk and Ji Han are the ones actually acting out the scene.”

When asked to sum up “IDOL: The Coup” in one phrase, Kwak Si Yang described the drama as a story of “growth.” He added, “While watching, I hope that you’ll pay attention to the combination of the growth of Cotton Candy, who has hit rock bottom, and the growth of Cha Jae Hyuk’s human side.”

Finally, Kwak Si Yang expressed his confidence in the drama and the cast’s chemistry. “Throughout filming, I’m always smiling and having fun,” he commented. “I’m confident that because the atmosphere on set is so joyful, the drama will be fun as well. Everyone is working hard and enjoying filming in their respective places, so please look forward to [the drama] a lot.”

Kwak-Si-Yang-2.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1495496wpp/kwak-si-yang-dishes-on-working-with-exids-hani-and-kim-min-kyu-for-new-drama-idol-the-coup

EXID’s Hani, WJSN’s Exy, LABOUM’s Solbin, And More Dish On Their Real-Life Teamwork As Girl Group Cotton Candy In “IDOL: The Coup”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 27, 2021
by E. Cha

The members of the fictional girl group Cotton Candy from JTBC’s “IDOL: The Coup” talked about their bond in real life!

“IDOL: The Coup” is an upcoming drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. The cast will include Kwak Si Yang, EXID’s Hani, Kim Min Kyu, LABOUM’s Solbin, WJSN’s Exy, former X1 member Lee Eun Sang, former RAINZ member Hong Eun Ki, Jo Joon Young, Redsquare’s Green, Han So Eun, and Baek Seo Hoo.

In the drama, girl group Cotton Candy consists of leader Jenna (Hani), Hyunji (Solbin), Stella (Han So Eun), El (Exy), and ChaeA (Green). In contrast to their popular labelmate Mars, Cotton Candy is widely considered a failure because, despite being in the sixth year of their career, the public still doesn’t know their names.

Hani remarked, “I really related to Jenna’s feelings of love for Cotton Candy. They’re friends who love each other so much, and that’s why they’re able to trust each other more. They know the value of being together and they’re grateful for one another, and that’s why everyone in the group works hard and makes an effort. It’s impossible not to love them.”

Meanwhile, Solbin expressed her deep affection for her Cotton Candy co-stars, explaining that they feel like actual bandmates. “There are moments when just looking into their eyes makes me tear up,” she shared. “Even when we’re practicing choreography, our teamwork comes naturally, so it feels like we’re actually a real idol group.”

“It’s my first time feeling this emotion, so I’m happily enjoying filming,” continued Solbin. “I think it’s truly a blessing that I’m able to be with the other members.”

Exy echoed the sentiment, commenting, “I feel this every time we have a shoot, but each of the [actors] truly seems like the living and breathing version of their character in the drama. The Cotton Candy members also feel like we’ve been a real group for a very long time, because we’re similar in everything from our personal tastes to our sense of humor.”

IDOL-The-Coup4.jpg

Spoiler

IDOL-The-Coup-21.jpg

“IDOL: The Coup” marks Green’s very first drama, and she revealed that she had been extremely nervous before meeting the other Cotton Candy members. “To be honest, I was really nervous and worried,” she confessed. “But [the other members] were so considerate of me in helping me adjust well [to filming] that I’ve now become a lot more relaxed. I think we’ve developed a relationship where we can now communicate even without words, which makes me really happy.”

Finally, Han So Eun asked viewers to look forward to the upcoming drama and each of their characters. “We’re working hard to showcase each character’s distinct individuality and play up those strengths,” she remarked. “I think viewers will fall for Cotton Candy right away. I hope you’ll look kindly on us.”

Exy1.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1495632wpp/exids-hani-wjsns-exy-laboums-solbin-and-more-dish-on-their-real-life-teamwork-as-girl-group-cotton-candy-in-idol-the-coup

Kim Min Kyu Dishes On His Character In “IDOL: The Coup,” Working With EXID’s Hani And Kwak Si Yang, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 29, 2021
by L. Kim

Kim Min Kyu is the leader of an idol group in the upcoming JTBC drama “IDOL: The Coup”!

“IDOL: The Coup” is a JTBC drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. EXID’s Hani, LABOUM’s Solbin, WJSN’s Exy, Han So Eun, and Redsquare’s Green star as members of the unsuccessful girl group Cotton Candy. Kwak Si Yang plays their agency CEO Cha Jae Hyuk, while Kim Min Kyu, Jo Joon Young, Hong Eun Ki, Baek Seo Hoo, and Lee Eun Sang play Cotton Candy’s labelmates, a popular boy group named Mars.

Kim Min Kyu’s character Seo Ji Han is the leader of Mars. Seo Ji Han stands out in his group with unrivaled talent and looks. He seems like someone who was naturally born to become an idol. However, even though his talent appears to be innate, he was able to come this far because of his dire efforts.

Kim Min Kyu shared, “There was a time when I reached my limit and experienced frustrations as a trainee. I thought the feelings I felt in the past would be similar to those that Seo Ji Han is feeling now. So I wanted to portray my emotions of that time to make it realistic.”

He added, “I hope viewers can see Seo Ji Han’s strong inner side as he silently endures the heavy responsibility and results of being the leader of a top boy group and the weight of the crown of popularity.”

kim-min-kyu-12.jpg

Kim Min Kyu talked about what it’s like to work with EXID’s Hani and Kwak Si Yang. In the drama, Seo Ji Han becomes music partners with Jenna (Hani) and has a tense relationship with Cha Jae Hyuk. Kim Min Kyu remarked, “They’re both seniors whom I respect, so the time we work together is so precious.”

He continued, “They taught me a lot about acting and music, and they took care of the smallest details about me, like whether I ate or am busy, so I’m really enjoying filming.”

kim-min-kyu-21.jpg

Lastly, Kim Min Kyu commented, “Through ‘IDOL: The Coup,’ I think we’ll be able to realistically show the youth running towards their dreams. I’m still lacking a lot, but I’m doing my best to show you more of my charms, so please look forward to it.”

Spoiler

kim-min-kyu-3.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1495935wpp/kim-min-kyu-dishes-on-his-character-in-idol-the-coup-working-with-exids-hani-and-kwak-si-yang-and-more

• Like 1

Idol' Ahn Hee-yeon X Kim Min-gyu, subtle air flow... Curiosity

1635829038158384.jpg

Curiosity is rising as a subtle air current is captured between 'Idol' Ahn Hee-yeon and Kim Min-kyu.

JTBC's new Monday-Tuesday drama 'IDOL 'Idol: The Coup'' (hereinafter 'Idol'), which will be broadcast for the first time on the 8th, is a very special guide for those who cannot part with their failed dreams.

In particular, an interesting relationship between the leader line of Star Peace Entertainment, which has the same agency but walks completely different paths, between cotton candy leader Jena (Ahn Hee-yeon) and mas leader Ji-han (Kim Min-gyu) is drawing attention.

1635829063739362.jpg

1635829071622979.jpg

The situation of the two people, which is bound to be different from one to ten, can be seen in the published stills. Ji-han, who seems to be in trouble in the recording studio with a neat appearance, and Jenna, who stares at someone with a sad expression in a dark alley, are the same idol, but create a different atmosphere. On the other hand, in the photo of the two together, a different atmosphere is felt and catches the eye. In addition, a subtle air current is detected between the two, which adds to the curiosity about their relationship.

https://www.xportsnews.com/?ac=article_view&entry_id=1494351

Watch: EXID’s Hani, LABOUM’s Solbin, WJSN’s Exy, And More Introduce Cotton Candy + Share Thoughts On “IDOL: The Coup”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 3, 2021
by S. Cho

“IDOL: The Coup” has released a behind-the-scenes look at Cotton Candy’s poster shoot!

JTBC’s “IDOL: The Coup” is a new drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. Its fictional girl group Cotton Candy consists of leader Jenna (EXID’s Hani), Hyunji (LABOUM’s Solbin), Stella (Han So Eun), El (WJSN’s Exy), and ChaeA (Redsquare’s Green).

The clip starts with each member posing for her individual photo shoot. Later, Hani introduces her character Jenna and explains, “She’s someone with a strong sense of responsibility. At the same time, she has a lot of love. She strongly hopes for the genuine happiness of her Cotton Candy members.”

Solbin describes her character Hyunji in five syllables (in Korean) by saying with a big smile, “There is no tomorrow.” She explains, “Like someone with no tomorrow, she drowns herself in alcohol, gets into trouble, and expresses her emotions with no filter to those closest to her.”

Han So Eun plays Stella, whom she describes as “extremely detailed, soft, and sensitive.” She continues, “Although she’s the oldest member, she isn’t sure of what she wants and what she wants to do, so emotionally, she’s likely the weakest member. That’s why she relies on Jenna a lot.”

Regarding El, Exy shares, “She is an intense character who is not defeated and does not crumble even after numerous failures and wounds, and instead continues to build upon her dream of success.”

Green comments, “ChaeA has dreamed of becoming an idol from a young age and is good at singing and dancing, but she is slightly in the shadow of her pretty bandmates. However, she has a lot of affection and tears, and she is a character who is more lovely the more you see her, so please give her lots of love.”

Afterwards, the girls start posing for their group photo shoot and fill the room with their big smiles, laughs, and jokes. Once they’re done with their official shoot, the group starts taking photos of each other, with all of them expressing amazement at Hani’s photography skills.

The stars then speak about filming the drama, with Hani sharing, “For starters, I cried a lot while reading the script. I hope this drama can gift many people by healing them and touching their hearts. I hope it becomes an opportunity for people to think about what exactly ‘failure’ is and whether ‘failure’ is actually that bad.”

Solbin adds, “To me, it’s becoming a project where I can grow, so I hope that everyone feels the same way after watching.”

Han So Eun begins, “I was so, so happy. I thought that I needed to work hard…” before she adorably asks, “What was the question? Sorry, I’m so nervous.” She continues, “It’s so fun doing this with my friends, and the director is so gentle, so I’m really enjoying filming.”

Exy comments, “It’s such an honor for my first project to be JTBC’s ‘IDOL: The Coup.’ We’re filming happily and having a lot of fun, so please give us lots of attention and look forward to it lots.”

Finally, Green shares, “It’s such an honor to work with these cool seniors and we’re really enjoying filming, so I’m very happy these days.”

Lastly, the girls ask viewers to stay tuned to find out about their characters’ difficult paths and how they’re able to overcome adversity.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1496846wpp/watch-exids-hani-laboums-solbin-wjsns-exy-and-more-introduce-cotton-candy-members-share-thoughts-on-idol-the-coup

Watch: EXID’s Hani, LABOUM’s Solbin, WJSN’s Exy, And More Navigate Harsh Reality Of Their Failed Dreams In New “IDOL: The Coup” Preview

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 5, 2021
by S. Cho

JTBC has released a teaser for the upcoming premiere of “IDOL: The Coup”!

“IDOL: The Coup” is a drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. The new teaser for Episode 1 focuses on Cotton Candy, a girl group consisting of leader Jenna (EXID’s Hani), Hyunji (LABOUM’s Solbin), Stella (Han So Eun), El (WJSN’s Exy), and ChaeA (Redsquare’s Green), who remain unknown to the public despite being in the sixth year of their career.

The teaser starts with Jenna remarking in voice-over, “I’m a failed idol. We’re failed idols who dare to endure, with our entire bodies, a generation that only remembers winners.” As various moments of the Cotton Candy members flash by, one comments, “I think we failed because of Jenna’s innocence.”

Tensions within the group begin to rise as Hyunji yells out, “How can you die just because you couldn’t do that one thing?” Later, she tearfully tells Jenna, “Tell them to keep all their promises that they would make us famous!”

Stressful moments leave all of the members in tears, and Jenna cries on her knees as she asks, “It’s already all over, but why on Earth can’t I let go?”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1497002wpp/watch-exids-hani-laboums-solbin-wjsns-exy-and-more-navigate-harsh-reality-of-their-failed-dreams-in-new-idol-the-coup-preview

Watch: EXID’s Hani Puts Everything On The Line To Save Her Team In “IDOL: The Coup” Highlight Reel

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 7, 2021
by U. Kim

JTBC has revealed an emotional highlight reel for the upcoming drama “IDOL: The Coup”!

“IDOL: The Coup” is about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. Its fictional girl group Cotton Candy consists of leader Jenna (EXID’s Hani), Hyunji (LABOUM’s Solbin), Stella (Han So Eun), El (WJSN’s Exy), and ChaeA (Redsquare’s Green). The star-studded cast also includes Kwak Si Yang, Kim Min Kyu, former X1 member Lee Eun Sang, former RAINZ member Hong Eun Ki, Jo Joon Young, and Baek Seo Hoo.

The highlight video begins by shedding light on the hardships faced by each of the members of Cotton Candy as a no-name group. In juxtaposition, their massively popular labelmate boy group Mars is seen performing in front of a passionate crowd.

As Cotton Candy’s situation gets worse, the relationship between the members also cracks. At their dorm, Hyunji yells in a fit of anger, “There are so many stages to perform on. There are karaoke bars, clubs, hostess bars. What, you want me to introduce them to you?” When the leader Jenna tries to stop her from crossing the line any further, Hyunji only becomes more enraged and goes as far as telling Jenna, “Stop acting like you’re a nice person if you’re going to be incompetent.”

In another scene, Jenna desperately asks their agency founder Ma Jin Woo (Jung Woong In), “We won’t ask for anything else. Can you wait for just two more years?” Back in the dorm, Hyunji says, “Who knows how she convinced Founder Ma?” which prompts Stella to slap her in the face and say, “You’re really awful. I didn’t know you were this low.” Intoxicated, Hyunji shouts, “I was always like this. Wherever I go, I’m the lowest of the lowest.”

Meanwhile, Mars’s leader Jihan is at odds with the Founder Ma and CEO Cha Jae Hyuk (Kwak Si Yang), and he later tells his bandmate, “I can’t stand the sight of them burying a dagger in someone’s heart and enjoying it.” Jihan and Jenna eventually grow close and write music together.

The agency tells Cotton Candy that they will give them their final chance if they see even 1 percent of hope after seeing their performance, and the members grow hopeful. However, Jihan claims that the agency is only trying to prove to Cotton Candy that there is no hope for them. The day of the performance comes, and CEO Cha asks the employees in the audience, “Who here is confident that they can break even in a year?” Facing Jenna, he says, “We both know that the remaining time in our contract is meaningless, so let’s wrap things up as soon as possible.” He turns around to leave, but Jenna suddenly proposes, “Then give us just three months. We won’t be kicked out; we’ll disband instead. We’ll win first place on a music show and announce our disbandment right there and then.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1497277wpp/watch-exids-hani-puts-everything-on-the-line-to-save-her-team-in-idol-the-coup-highlight-reel

• Like 1

EXID’s Hani And Kim Min Kyu Are 2 Idol Group Leaders Facing Opposite Problems In “IDOL: The Coup”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 7, 2021
by E. Cha

JTBC’s upcoming drama “IDOL: The Coup” has shared a glimpse of the chemistry between EXID’s Hani and Kim Min Kyu!

“IDOL: The Coup” is a new drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. The star-studded cast will include Kwak Si Yang, Hani, Kim Min Kyu, LABOUM‘s Solbin, WJSN‘s Exy, former X1 member Lee Eun Sang, former RAINZ member Hong Eun Ki, Jo Joon Young, Redsquare’s Green, Han So Eun, and Baek Seo Hoo.

Hani will star in the drama as Jenna, the leader of girl group Cotton Candy, while Kim Min Kyu will play Jihan, the leader of boy group Mars. Although both groups belong to the same agency, the two labelmates’ circumstances couldn’t be more different: while Cotton Candy is still struggling to gain recognition in the sixth year of their career and is widely considered a failure, Mars is a top-tier group that has already achieved massive popularity.

In newly released stills from the upcoming drama, both leaders are struggling with their own problems. Jenna is desperate to find work and fill up her schedule in order to promote Cotton Candy however she can, regardless of what the gig entails or where it takes her. On the other hand, Jihan is exhausted from his unforgivingly jam-packed schedule, and he is desperate for a much-needed break.

Kim-Min-Kyu.jpg

Hani.jpg

Although Jenna and Jihan are each facing their own struggles, some of the weight on their shoulders seems to be lifted during a happy moment together. In a photo of the two idols hanging out, Jihan is unable to hold back a huge smile, raising the question of where the relationship between two labelmates might lead.

Spoiler

Hani-Kim-Min-Kyu-2.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1497252wpp/exids-hani-and-kim-min-kyu-are-2-idol-group-leaders-facing-opposite-problems-in-idol-the-coup

• Like 1

Watch: Hani, Solbin, Exy, Han So Eun, And Green Are Naturals During Dance Practice Poster Shoot For “IDOL: The Coup”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 7, 2021
by S. Cho

JTBC has shared a new behind-the-scenes clip of Cotton Candy from “IDOL: The Coup”!

“IDOL: The Coup” is an upcoming drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. Its fictional girl group Cotton Candy consists of leader Jenna (EXID’s Hani), Hyunji (LABOUM’s Solbin), Stella (Han So Eun), El (WJSN’s Exy), and ChaeA (Redsquare’s Green). The star-studded cast also includes Kwak Si Yang, Kim Min Kyu, former X1 member Lee Eun Sang, former RAINZ member Hong Eun Ki, Jo Joon Young, and Baek Seo Hoo.

At the start of the video, the Cotton Candy members are stretching in preparation for their dance practice photo shoot. To make it look as realistic as possible, the girls begin to practice the choreography for Cotton Candy’s song “White Day.”

Next, the members pose as if they’re exhausted from a long and hard dance practice. As the photo shoot continues, they get more and more comfortable and naturally start chatting with one another, forgetting that they’re taking photos. Later on, when they monitor the pictures, Hani exclaims while giggling, “It looks real, because we were really talking.” Smiling, Exy chimes in, “That’s right. We were talking about food.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1497392wpp/watch-hani-solbin-exy-han-so-eun-and-green-are-naturals-during-dance-practice-poster-shoot-for-idol-the-coup

• Like 1

26 November 7, 2021

Premiere Watch: Idol: The Coup, Secret Royal Inspector and Joy, Melancholia, The Red Sleeve Cuff, Now We Are Breaking Up

by missvictrix

I’d say duck and run for cover, but does anyone here mind getting hit in the face by five — yes five! — new dramas this week? We have quite an array before us this week, and it’s back to the drama smorgasbord. First, pick your sageuk (serious or silly with a side of mayhem). Next, choose your romance (set on a school campus, in an entertainment agency, or in the fashion industry). Then, throw a dart into the air while blindfolded, and let yourself pick the drama your heart really wants to watch. (For me, it’s the idol drama.)

Idol: The Coup

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Broadcaster: JTBC
Genre: Drama
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: After Imitation stole my heart and brain, I’m more than ready for my next idol drama. In JTBC’s latest, we follow a failing girl group known as Cotton Candy. They’re desperate for a hit song, otherwise they face disbandment — and thus we have the primary conflict of the story. EXID’s Hani takes the lead, with the rest of the group (or most of it) played by real-life idols who’ve been dipping their toes into acting as well. Much like Imitation, there’s a (successful) boy group to balance things out, and they’re a part of the same agency as the girls. Said agency is run by CEO Kwak Shi-yang. Yes, this is the drama’s entire setup. No, I do not require another reason to watch.

• Like 1