MBC DRAMA 2022

DOCTOR LAWYER

Doctor-Lawyer2.jpg

Drama: Doctor Lawyer

Hangul: 닥터 로이어

Genre: suspense, law, medical

Network: MBC

Episodes: 16

Director: Lee Yong-seok ('Haechi', 'The Village: Achiara's Secret', 'Iljimae')

Writer: Jang Hong Chul (Class of Lies)

Release Date: June 3, 2022- July 23, 2022

Runtime:Friday-Saturday, 22:00

Production Company:Celltrion Entertainment and Mongjakso

OSTChen - A Strange Day

part 1  Lee Changsub - Freedom

Official site:

Plot

“Doctor Lawyer” is a heart-warming and cathartic drama about a genius surgeon who becomes a medical malpractice lawyer after losing everything from a fabricated surgery and a prosecutor from the Medical Crimes Department who loses their only family and lover through that surgery. Together, they punish those who believe that the importance of a person’s life can be ranked based on their wealth and power and comfort the victims who have been wronged.

Cast

So Ji Sub as Han Yi Han

Shin Sung Rok as Jayden Lee

Im Soo-hyang as Geum Seok-yeong

Lee Kyoung-Young as Goo Jin-Ki

Lee Kyu-Bok as Chief Cheon Bok

Lee Joo Bin as Im Yu-na

Woo Hyun Joo as Pyo Eun-sil

Jung Min-ah as Kang Mi-rae

Han Seung Bin as Geum Seok-joo

Lim Chul-Hyung as Nam Hyuk-chul

Lee Dong Ha as Koo Hyun Sung

Kim Yoon Seo as Jung Yoon Jung

Shin Soo-yeon as Geum Seok-yeong (child)

Character descriptions

So-Ji-Sub-31.jpeg

“Whether a doctor or a lawyer, there is no difference. Since a doctor saves lives, while a lawyer saves livelihoods.”

Han Yi Han (So Ji Sub) is a medical malpractice lawyer who used to be a genius double-board certified doctor with specialties in both general surgery and thoracic surgery. Prior to the incident that happened four years ago, he was Bansuk University Hospital ace surgeon. He was a doctor who kept his energy up and made his colleagues feel at ease with a relaxed smile despite the constant work overload. On top of that, his tall height made him look like a a model in his white coat.

Im-Soo-Hyang-5.jpeg

“As a prosecutor, my values are to be weak for the weak and to be strong against the strong.”

Geum Seok-yeong (Im Soo Hyang) is a prosecutor in the medical crime division of the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office. Seok-Young Geum is a prosecutor with a firm belief that the rehabilitation of criminals comes from punishment, not forgiveness and leniency. As for defendants who are truly innocent, she is more eager to declare them innocent than even their own lawyers.

Shin-Sung-Rok.jpeg

“The winner takes it all.”

Jayden Lee (Shin Sung rok) is the head of the Asian branch of Honors Hand, a company specializing in lobby and investment. He has the power to control everything with his words and actions, and he does whatever he can to achieve success. 

Lim Yuna ( Lee Joo-bin) is the head of Banseok R&D Center, who has both her looks and intelligence. She was born in the United States and after graduating from Johns Hopkins, she worked as the youngest senior researcher at a global biotech company. Because she is the daughter of a powerful politician, she lives like a sheep on the outside, but inside her blood is boiling like a leopard.

Character`s chart

316552_314041_5524.jpg

Posters

Doctor-Lawyer.jpg

Teasers/Trailers

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 4

• larus changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2022]Doctor Lawyer, 닥터 로이어- So Ji Sub- Premieres in the first half 2022

So Ji Sub In Talks To Star In His First Drama In Almost 4 Years

484d998904f042d9a23f888e7eab9247.jpeg?s=

May 26, 2021
by S. Nam

So Ji Sub is looking into his next project!

On May 26, a source from So Ji Sub’s agency 51K shared a statement regarding his casting in the new drama “Dr. Lawyer” (working title). They stated, “It’s one of the projects he has received an offer for.”

“Dr. Lawyer” is a heart-warming and cathartic drama about a genius surgeon who becomes a medical malpractice lawyer after losing everything from a fabricated surgery and a prosecutor from the Medical Crimes Department who loses their only family and lover through that surgery. Together, they punish those who believe that the importance of a person’s life can be ranked based on their wealth and power and comfort the victims who have been wronged.

So Ji Sub was reportedly offered the role of Han Yi Han, a medical malpractice lawyer who used to be a genius double-board certified doctor with specialties in both general surgery and thoracic surgery. Prior to the incident that happened four years ago, he was Bansuk University Hospital’s ace surgeon. He was a doctor who kept his energy up and made his colleagues feel at ease with a relaxed smile despite the constant work overload. On top of that, his tall height made him look like a a model in his white coat.

In 2018, So Ji Sub won the Daesang (grand prize) for his performance in MBC’s “My Secret Terrius” (also known as “Terius Behind Me”). If he accepts the offer, this will be his first time starring in a drama since then. Last year, So Ji Sub announced his marriage to reporter Jo Eun Jung, and his upcoming mystery thriller film “Confession” is slated to premiere soon.

“Dr. Lawyer” will be written by Jang Hong Chul of “Mr. Temporary” and will reportedly air in the beginning of next year.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1471228wpp/so-ji-sub-in-talks-to-star-in-his-first-drama-in-almost-4-years

So Ji Sub Confirmed To Lead His First Drama In 4 Years

f3421335fd1e430988b5e8781de6e050.jpeg?s=

Jul 5, 2021
by D. Kim

So Ji Sub is making his long-awaited return to the small screen!

It was previously revealed in May that the actor was offered a role in the upcoming drama “Dr. Lawyer” (working title). On July 5, his appearance in the drama was confirmed.

“Dr. Lawyer” is a heart-warming and cathartic drama about a genius surgeon who becomes a medical malpractice lawyer after losing everything from a fabricated surgery and a prosecutor from the Medical Crimes Department who loses their only family and lover through that surgery. Together, they punish those who believe that the importance of a person’s life can be ranked based on their wealth and power and comfort the victims who have been wronged.

So Ji Sub will take on the role of Han Yi Han, a medical malpractice lawyer who used to be a genius double-board certified doctor with specialties in both general surgery and thoracic surgery. Prior to the incident that happened four years ago, he was a popular ace surgeon of Bansuk University Hospital. After becoming a medical malpractice lawyer, he chases down the truth of the mysterious incident that led to his career change. 

“Doctor Lawyer” is written by Jang Hong Chul of “Mr. Temporary” and directed by Lee Yong Suk of “Haechi,” “The Village Achiara’s Secret,” and “Iljimae.”

The 16-episode drama is set to air via MBC in the first half of 2022. This will be So Ji Sub’s first drama in four years since “My Secret Terrius” in 2018.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1477884wpp/so-ji-sub-confirmed-to-lead-his-first-drama-in-4-years

• Like 4

So Ji Sub is Confirmed to Make Drama Comeback with ‘Doctor Lawyer’

BY Shai Collins Jul 04, 2021 11:31 PM EDT

so-ji-sub.png?w=900

After 4 years of hiatus, So Ji Sub will be making his return on the small screen with a challenging role in "Doctor Lawyer." 

According to Sports Chosun on July 5, "Oh My Venus" star So Ji Sub will be making his drama comeback. MBC also confirmed that the medical-suspense series "Doctor Lawyer" will premiere in the first half of 2022, adding that actor the A-list star will play as lead. 

MBC Confirms So Ji Sub Participation in Medical-Suspense Drama "Doctor Lawyer"

The network stated, "Doctor Lawyer is a refreshing drama that will give viewers new exciting concepts for it will feature both legal and medical genres."

"Doctor Lawyer" tells the story of a genius surgeon Han Yi Han, who became a medical lawyer after losing everything he built because of power manipulation within his previous surgery. 

The upcoming project is a heartwarming and exhilarating medical-suspense drama that is expected to show the cruelty and injustices made by those professional people using their powers. 

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/121098/20210704/so-ji-sub-confirmed-make-his-drama-comeback-doctor-lawyer.htm

I am interested in this drama because I like the genre. It will be the second time that I will watch So Ji Sub in a drama. I wonder who will play the female prosecutor. There are so many posibilities.I am rooting for Kim So Yeon will get the offer to play the female lead but I am sure they will chose a suitable actress for this role regardless of my wish. :) Let see the other cast. The antagonists are very important too and I want well written characters for them as well. I am not familiar with the writer. Let`s hope for a good production.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

• larus changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2022] Doctor Lawyer, 닥터 로이어- So Ji Sub- Premieres in the first half 2022

July 5 2021

So Ji-Sub cast in MBC drama “Dr. Lawyer”

Dr-Lawyer.jpg

So Ji-Sub is cast for the lead role in new MBC drama series “Dr. Lawyer.” The drama series will be directed by Lee Yong-Seok (“Haechi“) and scripted by Jang Hong-Cheol (“Class of Lies“). In “Dr. Lawyer,” So Ji-Sub will play Han Yi-Han. He was once an elite surgeon, but one surgery ruined his career. 4 years later, he works as an attorney, specializing in medical malpractice suits.

“Dr. Lawyer” will first air sometime during the first half of 2022 in South Korea.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: Han Yi-Han (So Ji-Sub) was an elite elite surgeon. He graduated at the top of the best medical school in South Korea and he specialized in two departments: general surgery and cardiothoracic surgery. One surgery changed his life. Han Yi-Han believe he did well on that surgery, but the patient died. He then got his medical license revoked.

Four years later, Han Yi-Han works as a lawyer, specializing in medical litigation. He also tries to uncover the truth behind the death of his former patient. For his trials, Han Yi-Han defends victims and tries to punish those that commit medical malpractice and negligence. He works with a public prosecutor, who lost a family member and a lover due to the surgery Han Yi-Han performed.

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/so-ji-sub-cast-in-mbc-drama-dr-lawyer

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, monalisa said:

Wow! Overdue appearance by SJB!  A double bonus as medical and legal dramas are my favorite shows.

That`s interesting. It is a medical and legal drama. I read the few reviews of the writer`s previous drama and there are majority of positive things about the writing. It was similar with this drama, except it was a mystery legal and school drama, instead of law and medical drama.

• Like 2

So Ji-sub to make drama comeback in MBC suspense drama

by tccolb

Dr-Lawyer.jpg

After focusing on films for the last few years, So Ji-sub (My Secret Terrius) is coming back to dramaland in MBC’s new suspense drama Dr. Lawyer.

Taking on the lead role of Han Yi-han, So Ji-sub’s character is a former surgeon who was well known for his skills and intellect. With a great sense of humor and compassionate personality to boot, people often joked that he was too perfect to be human. But one day, everything went downhill.

When a patient suddenly died after a successful surgery, So Ji-sub was framed for the death in a malpractice suit, and he lost his license. Starting his life over, he becomes a lawyer who specializes in medical lawsuits, and is determined to re-open his case and uncover the truth of what really happened.

In a twist of bitter fate, the deceased patient’s only family member is a prosecutor who now heads the department that handles medical crimes. But the prosecutor ultimately teams up with So Ji-sub, and the two make it their mission to help innocent victims and take down the corrupt individuals who believe that money and power can be used to decide who lives and who dies.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/07/so-ji-sub-to-make-drama-comeback-in-mbc-suspense-drama/

• Like 3

The are a lot of legal dramas or medical dramas but it will be interesting to see how the writer will combine the two genre.

It is up to the talent of the writer. Fingers crossed for an interesting plot.

The male lead is not only a genius but he has a great sense of humor and he is compasionate too. WOW. He has it all. The looks, the brain and the heart .:) I hope the writer will give us a good female character as well. He has to do it. Another wish. The female lead has to be close in age with the protagonist. It won`t be a romance but I hope for a partnership of equals. She must have a strong presence. That`s how I imagine her. I am really curious about her description. After they made the male lead "perfect" I wonder what is left for ordinary people? :w00t:

I think the antagonist must be very good as well. I like dramas that have strong villains. 

• Like 2

If the doctor will lose the license then the malpractice was serious enough. If our protagonist performed the surgery well, that means someone deliberately killed the patient? It will be a big bad person or a conspiracy behind this? They aimed against the doctor Han Yi Han, the patient or both?

I am curious about this drama. I want to know more about it.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

I read some rumors about 2022 MBC Drama Lineup

The possible line up:

2022 MBC Wed-Thu mini-series

Drama Tomorrow (with Kim Hee-sun, Ro Woon) ─ Follow up the Red Cuff of the Sleeve (who will air in October 2021)

Showtime from now with Park Hae-jin, Jung Ae-ri follow-up Tomorrow

Dr Lawyer follow-up Showtime from now

A Little Wish follow up Dr Lawyer.

source

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=drama_new3&no=1834992

It seems that Dr Lawyer will be a Wednesday & Thursday drama. And it has attacked the name of So Ji Sub and Kim Gap soo to the cast. It will air in April?

What a coincidence. I was watching Hospital Playlist2, episode 4 today and I saw Kim Gap soo (who has an adorable role in HP by the way) and I thought that he can be a tough antagonist or even a nice guy in Dr Lawyer. Yes. I hope it is true. I want to see him in this drama. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

No more casting news so far.

From the beginning, I was curious about the prosecutor job in the medical malpractice in this drama. Is there a Medical Crime Department in Korea? While I do believe that a malpractice as a criminal act is possible, I heard of few cases of a doctor to face a criminal liability (except for coruption or other crimes). I do not know much about the legal system but I read a little about that.

From what I read:

• Korea has far more criminal punishment cases against physicians for their medical malpractices than advanced countries, such as the U.K. and Germany, for exemple. (source)
  • There were cases of the arrest of doctors for misdiagnosis (it is possible for doctors to face jail time because of misdiagnosis) source

• In South Korea the plantiffs do not have a posibility to depose witnesses or experts (or it is very hard) for the civil cases so they built the cases with evidence collected by the criminal case by the prosecutors. (source)

Knowing all that, I think it is plausible to exist a Medical Crime Department so now I can understand the collaboration between a lawyer specializing in malpractice and a prosecutor presented in this drama. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

17 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Ahh yes finally So Ji-Sub back with a new drama!

Yes, after 4 years he will do a drama again. This will be my second drama of So Ji Sub. I am really curious about the other cast. I think they will start filming at the end of this year (autumn/fall or winter). I hope everything will be alright. With this pandemic, we`ll never know.

• Awesome 2

13 hours ago, larus said:

Yes, after 4 years he will do a drama again. This will be my second drama of So Ji Sub. I am really curious about the other cast. I think they will start filming at the end of this year (autumn/fall or winter). I hope everything will be alright. With this pandemic, we`ll never know.

Yea it has been four years, that is awesome. I am as well.

Just waiting for our Dr Lawyer, I watched a video with real doctor and lawyer talking about an episode of malpractice in US series Grey’s Anatomy. I know that in dramas we don`t see accurate situations of both professions but it would be funnny is Dr Mike and Legal Eagle will comment an episode of Dr Lawyer as well. I saw dr Mike talking about Korean medical dramas as Good Doctor or Hospital Playlist. I am waiting for their comment on this drama. 

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/9/2021 at 10:19 PM, larus said:

It seems that Dr Lawyer will be a Wednesday & Thursday drama.

The previous MBC dramas chanced the broadcast time slot. Black Sun, The Red-Stained Sleeve Cuff and perhaps Tomorrow will be moved to Friday - Saturday time slot. It is possible that Dr Lawyer to be on this time slot as well.

I hope MBC dramas will do well in the new broadcast slot.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

We have the female lead.  I never thought of her as she has accepted drama.

Lim Soo-hyang from 'Reliable Baby' confirmed as the female lead in 'Doctor Lawyer`

http://ph.spotvnews.co.kr/news/photo/202108/437894_555228_3226.jpg

Actor Im Soo-hyang was selected as the main character of 'Doctor Royer'.

According to Spotify News on the 20th, Lim Soo-hyang was selected as the female lead in MBC's new drama 'Doctor Lawyer (written by Jang Hong-cheol, directed by Lee Yong-seok).

http://www.spotvnews.co.kr/?mod=news&act=articleView&idxno=437894

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pitchoum said:

I am really surprise, because she was in talk for the remake of Jane The Virgin

So she is going to play the prosecutor for the Medical Crimes Departement?

This drama migh suit her better than Jane The Virgin.

I read that she accepted Jane the Virgin drama that`s why I was surprised to see her cast in Dr Lawyer. Perhaps she will do both dramas or she accepted only MBC drama. I would have chose the medical legal drama also and not the telenovela.

The female lead in the drama, which was chosen by actor So Ji-sub as his comeback project, has been decided.

img_20210820131637_60e3e26f.webp

On the 20th, Spotify News reported that actress Im Soo-hyang was selected as the female lead in MBC's new drama 'Doctor Lawyer'.It is a heartwarming and exhilarating medical suspense court drama where two people meet and punish people who believe they can rank life based on wealth and power and comfort the victims of unfairness.

The drama also drew attention after So Ji-sub chose it as a comeback work after 4 years. In the drama, he will play the role of Han Yi-han, a genius surgeon who has two specialties in general surgery and thoracic surgery, but now a lawyer specializing in medical litigation.

On the other hand, Im Soo-hyang and Sung-hoon recently drew attention as news of their reunion in a drama after 10 years since the SBS drama 'Shin Ki-saeng' was reported. She played an impressive role in dramas such as 'My ID is Gangnam Beauty', 'Elegant Family', and 'When I Was Most Beautiful'.

https://www.wikitree.co.kr/articles/680917

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, larus said:

I read that she accepted Jane the Virgin drama that`s why I was surprised to see her cast in Dr Lawyer. Perhaps she will do both dramas or she accepted only MBC drama. I would have chose the medical legal drama also and not the telenovela.

I read in a recent tweet from Kdramacasting twitter she was still in discussion not that she accepted  the role in Jane the Virgin same for Sung Hoon. There were no confirmation. But I can be wrong.

With the Pandemic it is hard to do both in the same time. Jane The Virgin is going to start filimg in October until April 2022.  If Doctor Lawyer is going to air at the begining of next year, it means she will start soon. If Jane The Virgin or Doctor Lawyer was going to film later, I would have say she will do both. Like Song Hye Kyo who started Now We Are Breaking Up until mind September and she will start after The Glory and Then after another Drama.

I do think she might have reject the offer for Jane The Virgin.

• Like 2