[Drama 2021-2022] The Second Husband, 두번째 남편

Lmangla

I'm usually a snappy person but I'm pretty content with how things concluded. 

The amount of times they extended this show was wrf, and the 150 episodes was whatever.

They could've been more productive with more interesting side-plots but it's a daily drama so they just recycled a scooby-doo formula every 5 episodes. *Sunhwa gets framed, proves her innocence with the help of her scooby gang, Jaekyung gets mad*

-Yes to Jaekyung's never repenting diva-ness. I'd hate to see her die from a truck as her punishment nor does her becoming a regretful prisoner sounds reasonable. 

-Who cares about Sanghyuk. Him and his Grade-A-Wagyu-Leeching tastebuds can eff off.

-Meh to Sangmi and Seojun. Hated her guts at the beginning bc of my trauma for backstabbing friendships. But as the 200 lengthy days went by, I've gotten so bored that I decided to become a forgiving saint.

-Cute af: Seonhwa's proposal to Jaemin + the epilogue family photo. 

-My only issue: Why tf was Sangmi's biach RickRoll'D mother invited to the wedding...?

Wayyyyyy better than the taepoong + gemma dramas.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, tofumochu said:

My only issue: Why tf was Sangmi's biach RickRoll'D mother invited to the wedding...?

that was one of the things that was weird. she is now some housekeeper and part of the family. umm, what???? and to top it off, lounge mom was also there in the 100 day celebration for the new babe. ummm, what???? one of the things I liked about this drama is how seon hwa refused to just forgive and roll over. in the end, it was some weird hodge podge for some of the characters. 

found it interesting that soo chul got lesser sentence than sang hyuk. it made totally sense that jae kyung never got over being a diva and continues to think that she got wronged. ha! jae min said something interesting -- he thinks cookie mom resented and also loved chairman and that is how she ended up living with him for so many years. @maribella~ what do you think? was that a good explanation for her spending 30 odd years married to that man? 

altogether it wasn't the greatest drama but neither was it awful and annoying. towards the end, it just got barely any reaction from me and was just time pass. thanks for hanging around chingus. hope to see you all in another thread. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

chairman and that is how she ended up living with him

I had asked that question a few times. Only explanation from the show, no psychology stuff, the young DK was goodlooking and tall! :joy:

The old actor really looked the nasty old man type, he had really changed. 

I knew it was going to be some kumbaya ending. They could have changed JK too, but probably that would rile up too many viewers. This is not disappointing as Ms M's ending. I'm glad I watched it, though I cheated after they announced the extension. I did cherry picking, thanks to the posts and @backstreetboysfan 's gifs.

• Like 7

Compared to most of the daily dramas that have come out in the past few years, this one was surprisingly good. The FL was smart, steadfast, and never let the villains have their way. And she kicked butts! Hell yeah!

I initially tried to stay away from this drama because of Oh Seung-Ah- the last daily she was in had a terrible ending. Secrets and Lies. But I ended up liking it, even if half the characters annoyed me. She's just too good at playing villains, like Wang Bitna and Park Hana. 

The male leads... Sang-Hyuk really, really, really annoyed me, I don't think I've ever been irritated this much by a second male lead and I don't get why. His acting wasn't too bad. And of course I liked Jae-Min... he and Seon-Hwa were just adorable!

Hae-Ran was cool, I liked her (I mostly like her actress... but yeah). Dae-Kook (was that his name?) was despicable. Soo-Chul was desperate AF, it was sad. Didn't care much for Sang-Mi, her mom was annoying, I barely remembered the gold digger lady, the bakery family was so loving and kind, they were the best side characters! Seon-Hwa's prison mates/friends were cool too! Didn't care about Jae-Kyung's mom... or her dad.

Sorry Ryan Newman GIF by Alexander IRL

I liked the ending, although I would've preferred it if Jae-Kyung died like she was supposed to.

Overall, I give this drama 8.5/10. It had its flaws but it was definitely enjoyable. Now that MBC has taken SBS' spot for dailies, I hope they have better quality dramas like this one. Or Pink Lipstick.

Nice chatting with you guys! See you on the next daily thread! Or another one.

Check out my thread on daily dramas here!

• Like 9

So Episode 150 ... and it ends ... (finally)

Overall, the last episode wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but it still had its moments ...

- 150 episodes and the final showdown between BSH and JK is settled with an arm lock?  Where's the fun in that?

- How does Chicken Mom keep getting into Hae-Ran's house?

- Jae-Min's stock took a bit of a dive in this last episode, as that line that Hae-Ran must've loved the Chairman ...

Throw Up Stephen Colbert GIF by MOODMAN

- ... and as many have already asked ... why was Chicken Mom at the wedding?

- Speaking of weddings - BSH proposing to Jae-Min - I called that back in December

Nailed It GIF

- Grandma at the wedding was a nice surprise

- Why was Jae-Min introduced with his birth name but BSH was not?

The Drama as a whole was one of the better ones I've seen, that being said, it should've been a whole lot better - this drama suffered because of the extension - JMHO

Things I liked ...

Jae-Min's character ( and the actor )  The most solid ML in a daily I've seen. The actor deserves his accolades

JK ( the actress ) her character suffered not due to her talents but due to the story itself ... plug her into a 16 episode drama with a decent writer, and she's a truly scary villainess

Hae-Ran ( the actress ) I'm used to seeing her in villainess roles so this was a change for me ... like JK I think her abilities went largely untapped for the worse - Ji Su-Won is incredible in channeling malevolence, in this drama they spooled her up many many times, and never let her go off ... its part of what made her Villain character in Gracious Revenge so good.

I hope to see all three in Dailies more often. 

And lastly - I had to wait for the last episode, but it was still worth it ... Bakery Oppa & Sang-MI :heart::blush:

Thanks again to everyone for making it another great Daily Thread, for those headed to Secret House next week, I'll see you there, for everyone else take care and stay safe

LCO

• Like 9

Everything I expected to happen, happened.

* JK's confession being recorded/being arrested immediately

* JM being fine and waking up

* Trials all around

* SM gets her man

* Wedding

* Time jump

The only thing I was like whhhhhaaaat with was ChickenMom and LoungeMom being there for the happily ever after. I knew they couldn't fully get rid of MSH's mom (since I expected SangMi and BakerBro to end up together), but letting her into your house? Bleh. BSH is way more forgiving than I am. 

I really enjoyed the ending, and BSH feeling empty after getting what she wanted. Revenge is messy, and she spent almost all of her energy on it. In the end she still lost so much of her life because of JK (and MSH). She can never get that time back. 

Going with that, I love that she was the one to propose to JM. It was her first step into doing things for herself and not as part of her revenge. 

JM visiting the chairman was a given. Him being as kind and forgiving as he is, was never going to fully turn on him. I liked that about his character. He was always kind and wanted to do the right thing.  BUT... Seeing him at the CEO's desk made me really sad for him. He never wanted that kind of life. Plus it was weird seeing the nameplate say YJM and then his name be his birth name at his wedding. Changing names on family registries is a REAL pain in Korea. Poor dude would have so much paperwork and red tape.

For the most part BSH was a great female lead. There were moments where she wasn't the brightest and frustrated me, but it's a daily and push and push are to be expected. Her mistakes also made her human (even if the look she got when she was shocked often made me giggle). 

MSH is walking trash and I didn't have one ounce of pity for him when he was crying in his cell. He's drawn to money and I feel like he'll end up back in jail for gambling when he gets out.

JK getting a large sentence was a given. She killed TWO people and never showed a single amount of remorse. She constantly acted like she was being looked down on because she wa a girl and an illegitimate child. Her need to the best made her blind to the fact that her own actions and greed were the reason she would NEVER be left the company. Enjoy the slammer JK!

Second husband was a wild ride, now onto the next stress inducing daily!

:evilelmo:

I'm so glad the drama ended on the good note and I can't believe it's over. It was an enjoyable to watch even though it was frustrating at times especially with the extension but it was all worth it.

I made some gifs from the last ep

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by jessfany
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

Episodes 149-150 Recap:

This will be my last recap of the Second Husband. Unexpectedly, I like the ending and the way they wrap up all the loose ends remaining!

The first loose end is the J-Town sub-plot, which writer-nim settled in the beginning of Ep. 149. So, J-Town ended up being sold to an investor, which left JYK and MSH penniless, despite all their effort in the middle of the series, setting up J-Town and all the planning around it!

Next is KSC's unrequited love towards YJK. It was only when YJK called MSH out to gloat about the fact that she's going to steal her dad's slush funds and money that she blurted out the painful truth of KSC being used only as a lapdog. That was the final nail in the coffin, which led to KSC's betrayal as he tipped off BSH of YJK's whereabout. He also admitted to the wrong-doings all these while; which made him somewhat a redeemed character. He got the lightest sentence of a 5-years jail term.

The final showdown between YJK and BSH itself is a quick one as YJK was quickly subdued and the whole process was beamed live on national TV! That sealed the fate for YJK, more so because MSM brought the recording of YJK's admission of the murder of Mr. Nam to MSH earlier. And true enough, YJK is not repentant at all, blaming everyone else for her predicament in terms of a 30-years term, the heaviest of the 4!

MSH could not resist the temptation of a final gamble to bring back his fortune, but alas, the gambling den was raided and the Moon ended up being broke! MSH was sentenced to a 7-years term! His Omma also pleaded for forgiveness and managed to get reprieve by working in the Yoon's residence as a housemaid perhaps? MSM also got a job in Hanook Bakery and of course, she eventually got hitched with Bakery Oppa. My prediction is right :)

Meanwhile, having shot JYM using his hunting riffle, YDK eventually was arrested and he cannot escape again this time! He was sentenced to a 15-years term! The irony is, the son whom he shot was the only person that can forgive him for all his misdeeds and YJM still regards him as his Appa.

That leaves us with BSH and YJM, the couple who eventually get married at the end of Ep. 150. It was not easy getting there though, as YJM was shot by YDK and had to be hospitalized. Only when BSH cried out about perhaps its her quest for revenge that led to the shooting incident, that YJM eventually woke up! He also becomes the new Group President for Dae Kook Confectionery. 

The proposal by BSH: "Can you be my Second Husband" was very fitting and the couple totally deserved their happy ending, with a beautiful wedding to end the serial. I have voiced out about my disappointment on the plot lines after the extension was announced but the writer really did tied up everything at the end. Even Bakery Oppa came back with his nightmare (aka the gold-digger). And YJK's Omma also returned back after claiming being sold by YDK!

Overall, I would rate the ending as 8/10 - much better than Red Shoes

See all of you again in the new Serial next Monday :)

• Like 8

New Event Alert!:hooray:

Favourite Time Travel K-Dramas :offtospace:

Hop into a time machine with our latest event and go back in time or hurtle into the future with memorable and iconic Time Travel K-Dramas.  :eats2:

Vote for your favourite Time Travel K-Drama now!:piggydance:

Your event organizers:

• Like 1

For anyone that enjoyed the OST, the complete OST (theme songs + score music) was just released. You can listen to it on Spotify:

You can also listen to it on Youtube:

Spoiler

Here's the full tracklist:

Information:
  • Title: 두 번째 남편 OST / Second Husband OST
  • Artist: Various Artists
  • Language: Korean, English
  • Release Date: 2022-Apr-16
  • Number of Tracks: 21
  • Publisher: Blending Co., Ltd. (주식회사 블렌딩)
  • Agency: MBC C&I, Star & Tree Entertainment (스타앤트리이엔티)
Track Listing:
No. Song Title Artist
1. 'Second Husband' Main Title
두번째 남편 Main Title
Ma Sang Woo (마상우)
2. A Habit
습관처럼
Kim Yang (김양)
3. One Person
한 사람
Oh Jin Sung (오진성) of izi
4. My Love Park Hyun Seo (박현서)
5. I Regret It
후회가 돼
Leeds (리즈)
6. Because I Have You
그대가 있기에
Cha Seo Won (차서원)
7. Because I Have You (Guitar Ver.)
그대가 있기에 (Guitar Ver.)
Cha Seo Won (차서원)
8. Let Him Go
보내
Oh Hyun Ran (오현란)
9. Bye Bye Kim Choo Ri (김추리)
10. Goodbye Lonely Hyeji (혜지)
11. What's There to Life
인생 뭐 있나
Cha Seo Won (차서원)
12. No Way Min Min (민민)
13. Shalala
샤랄라
Cha Seo Won (차서원)
14. The Future
미래
Han Rim (한림)
15. I Can't Get Married Because Of You
너 땜에 장가를 못가
Cha Seo Won (차서원)
16. Sun Hwa's Theme
선화테마
Ma Sang Woo (마상우)
17. A New Start
새로운 시작
Ma Sang Woo (마상우)
18. Sun Hwa and Jae Min
선화와 재민
Ma Sang Woo (마상우)
19. Jae Kyung and Sang Hyuk's Scheme
재경과 상혁의 계략
Ma Sang Woo (마상우)
20. Hanok Bakery
한옥 베이커리
Ma Sang Woo (마상우)
21. Sharon Park OK
샤론 박 오케이
Ma Sang Woo (마상우)
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

OMG Big news :) .

MBC #TheSecondHusband co-stars UhmHyunkyung & ChaSeowon are confirmed to be dating & getting married in May 2024! As Cha is currently serving in the military, they will tie the knot after he is discharged. Agency also shares that Uhm is currently pregnant with his child. Both are said to develop good feelings of each other as they met through the drama and started dating after it ended. Congratulations to the couple

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1