[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Love like the Galaxy 星汉灿烂

pad-hari

Quick Poll: Kimchi Slap - Your Weapon of Choice?

YOU are PLAYING the Female Lead (FL) in a makjang kdrama/cdrama/Thai lakorn.

You're about to PRETEND to slap the annoying and evil 2nd FL who is trying to steal the man (Male Lead) you've been eyeing. What will  you use to slap her with?

Kimchi? Seaweed? Spaghetti?

tumblr_inline_pt2xv7WGQT1qcgu07_250.gifv

Please vote!

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart @agenth

For those of you who are wondering whether the Emperor, the Empress and Concubine Yue are fictional works or have semblance to historical figures, here's a Youtuber who has dug up facts from history and the explanation is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CDramaQA

There are several videos in that channel (you can easily find them from their titles); one explains the historical figures the royal family was based upon, one talks about the ending in the novel (for those curious enough) and one explains where the names of the characters were derived from. Bu Yi suprisingly has a very romantic connotation.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

I am enjoying the drama so far.

I have read many people complain of Shang Shang's behaviour and her lack of trust in Bu Yi. It's understandable why she is so fiercely independent given her upbringing.  Since young, Shang Shang learnt adults around her was not dependable, they didn't care about her, so she was forced to problem solve and protect herself. The only person she can trust and rely on was herself. That's why Shang Shang couldn't trust and believe Bu Yi truly wanted the best for her. In Shang Shang words, if even her own mother can not love her for who she is, why would Bu Yi love and protect her?

It's beautiful to see how slowly Bu Yi gain Shang Shang's love and trust. No matter how emotionally upset he was with Shang Shang's actions, he stood by her and never complained about her in front of others. He tried his best to convey his thoughts, he noticed what she liked and mostly let her do what she wants, knowing he will have to clean up her mess. 

Slowly Shang Shang realised Bu Yi isn't lying, he truly loves her for who she is and will stand by her. 

I am not looking forward to the angst coming up. Trust is hard to gain and easy to lose.  

• Like 7

General and his lady are two peas in a pod LoL. Both are stubborn and bear grudges. They also don't hold back and get even. Others beware LoL.  Don't mess with 'em yo! Or you will pay ha-ha! 

Fifth Prince tryin' to delude himself into thinking Bu Yi couldn't see him ahahahah. And third prince is a nice surprise eheh. He seem to be sharp tongued but is on Bu Yi's side. 

Fifth Princess's remarks were beyond inhumane. I can't believe such sweet parents birthed such a demon!! She calls Shao Shang low and trash when she's running round with a harem of men and she literally looks like trash! Ugh. Hateful human being.

Bu Yi's loyal chubby guard ahahah. He almost got castrated for checking in on his master LoL. I loved what he said before that he rather remain single just so he could sleep in LoL. 

There are more enemies in and out of palace sigh. Crown Princess is gettin' restless and trouble waiting to happen. Yuan has gotten mellow  in past few ep. I still don't feel anything for him ha. 

"What is she sayin'?? I can't hear her!"

"Dear Emperor, not only are you shameless but you're deaf as well!"

"I fell for his looks.." 

Consort Yue continues to be sassy. Love the banter between her and Empress. So much fun. And I hope Shao Shang stop whining really LoL. She is learning which is good. Her mom now starts to miss her aw~

• Like 6

Now that i got my fill I'll share ...ep 37 was full of good revenge ...our girl is lucky that she can get away with them and even be admired for having been considerate and only apply her revenge after the Empress's banquet. :naughty:  and the 5th princess got her boomerang , in spades .   

ep 38 we get more hot and bothered , especially late at night, warm blanket , flute and kisses ...and the conversation that goes something like this " shouldn't we be doing this after we are married" ....LOL .....'dream on' ......:love:

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, jadore1 said:

Now that i got my fill I'll share ...ep 37 was full of good revenge ...our girl is lucky that she can get away with them and even be admired for having been considerate and only apply her revenge after the Empress's banquet. :naughty:  and the 5th princess got her boomerang , in spades .   

ep 38 we get more hot and bothered , especially late at night, warm blanket , flute and kisses ...and the conversation that goes something like this " shouldn't we be doing this after we are married" ....LOL .....'dream on' ......:love:

I was going to wait to watch this weeks batch of episodes, but after reading what you posted I am going to watch it now. LOL

:Megalol:

• LOL 1

I finally have time to start this drama today and just finished ep 1. Loved it and annoyed with Grandma and the Aunt-in-law already lol. ZLS and WL are kinda adorable as OTP in this one. 

I will join in discussions after I catch-up. I plan to binge!!! lol 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Yinye said:

I finally have time to start this drama today and just finished ep 1. Loved it and annoyed with Grandma and the Aunt-in-law already lol. ZLS and WL are kinda adorable as OTP in this one. 

I will join in discussions after I catch-up. I plan to binge!!! lol 

Oh enjoy. Can't wait to hear  your thoughts.

Wow.. I remember when I started this show, seems like it was so long ago, I think I might have to restart it just to enjoy it all over again. :heart2beat:

• Like 1

Oy. Sigh these 2 ep. seem to be the calm before the storm..

Bu Yi is still hell bent on revenge and we all know that rarely end well.. Yuan is his usual prickly self. I was mistaken to think he's soften - nope LoL. He keeps sayin' he is oppose to marriage and life goes on bla bla etc. Then why isn't he heeding his own advise!?

He still looks upon Shao Shang with hearts in his eyes. Hasn't the many displays of affection between Bu Yi-Shao Shang enough!? Get a clue buddy tsk.

Bu Yi was so hot when he tried to get Shao Shang away from danger. His army was like the S.W.A.T. Team LMFAo! 

• Like 1

I was so into the episode 39, that when it came to the end  I was really surprised.  As  @Latte_Anyday   said, BY's  army was  like a SWAT team and his skill and decisiveness truly awesome.  I like this man's firmness, his strength and his ability to stand erect and in full control, under the most daunting situation ....wow  .    YS's mama also surprised me , she finally left her adobe and 'involved' herself with her family and took notice of her son . 

ep 40 shows me that my love and respect for Consort Yue is well earned. This is not a position that any woman likes to be in and yet she remained so true to herself and justice , that my admiration skyrocketed.  

• Like 1

Sigh. Am disappointed in the Emperor.. thought he was nice but nope. I especially find him disrespectful to the Empress. That in particular left a bitter taste in my mouth ugh. Why in the heck is everyone in this drama stuck in loveless marriages LoL!!??

Consort Yue should've been more sensitive and not blatantly ignore the Empress as well. Her flaunting in front of the Empress how the Emperor favors her was real painful to watch.

I feel for Shao Shang.. oh where is Bu Yi and his S.W.A.T Team LoL!? Why must he go after a grudge yo?? Your wife NEEDS YOU.. damn it. 

Yuan is filling in Ling's place during his absence but of course he doesn't do it as smoothly as Ling. Well at least he looks out for Shao Shang. I am laughing that the general thought the wife sewed chicken wings & a rat onto his armor!! 

What a man. He does needlework too. WTH. I love that he asked for land so he could live away from palace in peace, happily with Shao Shang. As usual I admire Shao Shang's mom's steely determination. 

• Like 1

Hi  @jadore1 my friend.  OK I'm back.

I find the last few episodes a bit boring. With a few "jabs' of humour here and there.  Mostly side-shows about the 5th Princess.  And then the Crown Princess and Qu Ling Qun.

So finally in Ep 42 Cheng Shi, Cheng Shao Sheng's father is framed.  General Zuo, the one who was sent to round up the Cheng Family for Prisons, was very Harsh on the Cheng's.  Because his niece was the one who pushed Cheng Shao Sheng into the waters.

I believe Cheng Shi or Marquis Qu Ling was Framed by someone that most of us would Least Expect.  Unfortunately we have to wait till Next Week to find out.

So in the mean time, allow me  to Highlight or Share what I understand, about the Background of the Cheng Family.  Knowing that would enable us to understand why they are so easily touched.

Both General Wan (Qi Qi's Father) and Cheng Shi are Generals.  But have you all noticed?  Their Status are Different.

Cheng Shi (Marquis Qu Ling) 

- is ranked lower.  Notice?  Unlike General Wan, Cheng Shi is not even qualified to attend Court in the Palace.  But it is just that like his daughter Qi Qi, General Wan is an easy-going person and he treated Cheng Shi like "Brothers".

If you all recall the earlier episode where they both returned from War after 15 years? General Wan was awarded a New House.  While Cheng Shi was only given the "Marquis Title".  But General Wan gave his old house to Cheng Shi.  That is how they got a new house.  Which means General Wan took good care of Cheng Shi.

General Wan

- is different.  It can be seen that his mother has a very deep foundation in the capital.  When Emperor Wen knew that General Wan was hiding a Map, he sent Ling Bu Yi to investigate privately.  And LBY sought Cheng Shao Sheng's help.

By right, Emperor Wen can use Capital Punishment for that Crime.  This showed that Emperor Wen is especially "Careful" when dealing with General Wan.  If it is Cheng Shi, things would have been different.

If it was not for Ling Bu Yi's fondness for Cheng Shao Shang, Emperor Wen would not have paid much attention to Cheng Shi's family.  He was only one of the many military generals. In terms of position, General Wan should be Cheng Shi's Boss.  But because General Wan is such a nice man, we tend to think that they are of Equal Ranks.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, hush puppy said:

I find the last few episodes a bit boring. With a few "jabs' of humour here and there.  Mostly side-shows about the 5th Princess.  And then the Crown Princess and Qu Ling Qun.

So finally in Ep 42 Cheng Shi, Cheng Shao Sheng's father is framed.  The niece of General Zuo, the one who was sent to round up the Cheng Family for Prison, was the one who pushed Cheng Shao Sheng into the waters. Which was why he was so Harsh on the Cheng's

But I strongly believe that Cheng Shi or Marquis Qu Ling was Framed by another person that most of us would Least Expect. Unfortunately we have to wait till Next Week to find out.

So in the mean time, allow me  to Highlight or Share,  the Background of the Cheng Family.  Knowing that would enable us to understand why they are so easily touched.

Both General Wan (Qi Qi's Father) and Cheng Shi are Generals.  But have you all noticed?  Their Status are Different.

Cheng Shi (Marquis Qu Ling) 

- is ranked lower.  Notice?  Unlike General Wan, Cheng Shi is not even qualified to go to the Palace Court.  But it is just that like his daughter Qi Qi, General Wan is an easy-going person and he treated Cheng Shi like "Brothers".

If you all recall the earlier episode where they both returned from War after 15 years? General Wan was awarded a New House.  While Cheng Shi was only given the "Marquis Title".  But General Wan gave his old house to Cheng Shi.  That is how they got a new house.  Which means General Wan took good care of Cheng Shi.

General Wan

- is different.  It can be seen that his mother has a very deep foundation in the capital.  When Emperor Wen knew that General Wan was hiding a Map, he sent Ling Bu Yi to investigate privately.  And LBY sought Cheng Shao Sheng's help.

By right, Emperor Wen has the right to inflict Capital Punishment for that Crime.  This showed that Emperor Wen is especially "Careful" when dealing with General Wan.  If it is Cheng Shi, things would have been different.

If it was not for Ling Bu Yi's fondness for Cheng Shao Shang, Emperor Wen would not have paid much attention to Cheng Shi's family.  He was only one of the many military generals. In terms of position, General Wan should be Cheng Shi's Boss.  But because General Wan is such a nice man, we tend to think that they are of Equal Ranks.

You know I have wondered on that while watching the show. Why are CSS parents treated so different from others even though they did just as much in the war.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tamakins said:

You know I have wondered on that while watching the show. Why are CSS parents treated so different from others even though they did just as much in the war.

It has been a while so my memory may be a bit hazy. But from what I remember from the novel, the Cheng family was considered to be 'new money', not nobles who have family roots stretching for several generations. Their merits and title came from the contributions to the war, not inherited, therefore they tended to be looked down upon. Sort of like they were not of 'blue blood'.

Before the war, the Cheng family was only commoners and they did not a long history of achievements in the family like the Luo or Yuan families. My impression is that they were not wealthy neither. Also, since they were 'new money', they did not have much connection and power in court, which is disadvantageous when it comes to career advancement.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, rabbit_casa said:

It has been a while so my memory may be a bit hazy. But from what I remember from the novel, the Cheng family was considered to be 'new money', not nobles who have family roots stretching for several generations. Their merits and title came from the contributions to the war, not inherited, therefore they tended to be looked down upon. Sort of like they were not of 'blue blood'.

Before the war, the Cheng family was only commoners and they did not a long history of achievements in the family like the Luo or Yuan families. My impression is that they were not wealthy neither. Also, since they were 'new money', they did not have much connection and power in court, which is disadvantageous when it comes to career advancement.

Dear  @rabbit_casa  You have read the Novel, so you know better than us. :lol:   I only watched the Drama.  But from my inference, I could see what you mean.  Which is why the first 4 Episodes are a bit "Slow" and "Laborious"  for Impatient Viewers.

From my understanding, Eps 1 - 4 is not only setting the Basis for Cheng Shao Shang's story, but also to explain the Roots of the Cheng Family.

The "House Squabbles" were not just the normal idiosyncracies of a Dysfunctional Family.  It is the only way for the Cheng Family to go, from what I would call - a "Nouveau Riche",  to the "New Aristocracy".  It is necessary for the Cheng Family to rid themselves of the "garbage" to achieve a "Class Leap" !

The "Cheng Family" has no Background.

It is a Self-Made Generation.

1) They gradually gain some recognitions from the contributions of Cheng Shi and his wife  in the Battle Fields. 

2) 3rd Brother Cheng Zhi "borrowed" some light from Cheng Shi to secure the post of the County Magistrate of Hua County.  By himself, he could not do it.  He is such a Weak Character.   Fainting continuously under tensed situations.  IMO, even the Old County Magistrate of the Hua County is so much better than him.

The "Cheng Family" are basically, Peasants.   Cheng Shi's father died early. His mother supported the whole family by farming.  Which is why she (Cheng Shi's mother) cannot wait to have "Gold" on her head.  While Wan Qi Qi is more or less like "a Mobile Jewelry Box"

Therefore in the eyes of many Aristocratic Families in the capital, the Cheng Family is beneath them.  I think the Wan (Wan Qi Qi) Family also enjoyed the same treatment.

But, as a "noveau riche", Wan Qi Qi has a good mother to guide her.  So her personality is more pleasing.  The Aristocratic Families will just ignore her weird ways, and warm up to her personality.

But Cheng Shao Shang is not so lucky.

The Cheng Family - Their Transitions :

To rid themselves of the notoriety of nouveau riche, they must first clean up their "internal messes".  And they did.

a) Cheng Shi and Xiao Yuan Yi discovered that the 2nd Aunt Ge Shi is evil.  So they got her divorced from the 2nd Brother.  With this their mother lost a bad influence.

b) With Cheng Shao Shang's help the Greedy Uncle was arrested by Ling Bu Yi.  This shook up their mother a bit.

Then they moved to a New House to begin anew.  The joy of moving to a new house replaced the sadness of losing allies.  Together with her children and grandchildren, their mother began to try to integrate into the New Circle - the Noble Rank.

The transition cannot be achieved overnight.  It will take a long and laborious process.  It depends on the energy and vigour of the Younger Generations, to take them to a New High..... or Low.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am up to ep 13 and am loving it. 

So far I love how amazing all the women characters are - across generations and the actresses playing the grandmas are killing their roles lol - especially the annoying Chang Grandma - such a great actress. 

I also enjoy the light comedy embedded in the story and of course, at heart - it is also a family story and I like all their relationship dynamics - especially CSS and her mom. Mom and daughter issues ahhhhhh

It took a bit for our OTP to meet and so far the ML is a bit 2-D because we are getting very small info about him etc. I also laughed out loud how they intentionally played up the cold general stereotype lol. 

The story focuses mainly on FL and through her POV the most. I feel for CSS but she is also super stubborn too which makes her more real. ZLS is doing very well in this role - even better than WRTW. Her chemistry with WL is also stronger even with the small screen time so far. 

So far pace has been good and the only time I felt it lagging a bit is on ep 13 with CSS nursing the little girl -

ok back to watching….

Watching ep 17 now and OTP had so many little scenes and still not even together yet. Uh oh re the engagement lol 

ep 20 mother and daughter fight was amazing. They are more alike than they admit lol 

ep 21 was also fantastic. I am glad CSS worked things out with AY and 

Spoiler

They were always more suited for BFF/sibling type of relationship.

ok off to bed - my eyes lol 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Welcome back @hush puppy  thank you for updating, I honestly appreciate it . This drama has my full attention at this moment,  and knowing this information just makes it more complete and understandable for me. 

I was wondering in the last two episodes what was going on and what the Emperor was rambling on about promoting poor and nobles being against it ...I was not connecting or understanding ...I mean I knew that CSS's grandmother was from the country/farming family,  but I just assumed that being a General you get the same rewards after the victory .  Now , when I think back , I remember when during SS's bridal shower somebody asked about her brother and QiQi and there was this pregnant silence with mother diplomatically sidestepping the answer ...and the reason the brother would enter / merry into the Wan family.   

Episodes with 'pinyin'   41 & 42 started with death and imprisonment so i think our honeymoon with comedy and amore will be getting more gut clenching scenes .    

I loved how Z threw the 'keys' to SS before leaving and I also love him for wearing the chicken feathers . :kiss_wink: 

• Love 1