[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Love like the Galaxy 星汉灿烂

pad-hari

@ElleSor yes, that is confirmed. Part 1 has 27 episodes and part 2 was approved for 28 but whether all 28 will air or not, is left to be seen (this is because originally Part 1 was also reportedly approved for 28 initially).

As for the sypnosis, as mentioned that is the novel. Whether the drama will closely follow the novel again is left to be seen. It's really up to the director - a very simple way to make 5 years pass is just a time skip and the words "5 years later" appearing on our screen. That way, we won't really feel very much anticipation. :hwaiting2:

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Epis 11 & 12 were all about CSS becoming more aware of the world beyond her own well. She had no idea about the larger implications of some of her actions- be it turning over her uncle in 1st epi or playing hard & fast with aristocratic brats who are above her station. This skirmish with death has brought the larger picture into stark clarity. She has also come to a realisation that the idealistic picture of her family being together without her was not as rosy as she thought - they were dealing with death most of the time.

A person's true nature shows in times of adversity & CSS has emerged as a pretty good leader. She is cool headed & resourceful. She has strong protective instinct for her people. The entire sequence of events from their party being attacked on the road to their defence at the hunting manor was realistic. She dispatched LY to get help & made use of what they had to delay surrender. Once they were rescued by LBY & his soldiers she helped by treating injuries. She also has the guts to kill if necessary & watch the rebels being killed as well. She is going to be such a skilled woman when she completes her studies. 

These set of epis also marked her being becoming more aware of romantic interest. She till now had not seen any of the men who interact with her as real suitors but LY has made her think in that direction. She is still so naive about the idea of marriage. She has yet to learn to consider things beyond the suitor- his family, his standing in the family, etc but more importantly her own feelings for the suitor. She thinks that she would be happy with an obedient husband. She will be bored within an hour. 

CSS- LBY interactions were so good. She has started seeing him in a new light. She is learning how he operates as a general & the heavy responsibility that he has towards the empire. I think she can now dismiss her childish notions about him that he puts her trouble. LBY is so obvious about his feelings for her. CSS may not understand them yet but a deeper feeling for LBY is indeed taking root in her heart subconsciously. 

• Like 7

Just watched epis 13 & 14 & found them bittersweet. 

The little girl was so brave & kind... really sad that she had to die. CSS's childhood flashbacks were so hurtful...poor baby. No wonder she is so hungry for affection & appreciation. 

Poor LBY had to witness CSS-LY making promises to each other....well you snooze you loose general...ha ha...

Frankly I don't mind that CSS-LBY are not getting together quickly. Both of them have different priorities in life currently. LBY though likes CSS, his revenge is still his priority. I bet next time when CSS becomes available, he won't lose anytime in courting her. 

CSS & Yao on the other hand remind me a lot of LJJ & shou ran from go ahead. They are really friends but are mistaking it for romantic affection. As much as I continue to dislike CSS's mom, I have to agree with her that CSS has no idea about what she is doing with regards to her relationship with Yao. She has correctly surmised that CSS won't be accepted easily in the Lou family. Add to that she can clearly see that both the kiddos hardly behave like lovers - they are playmates. So sustaining this relationship will be difficult. Right now they have been in a bubble in the Hua county so all is well without any interference. Real test will be when Lou family comes into the picture. 

Based on the previews, seems like CSS & Yao will have a long engagement period. During this time LBY's interest in CSS would become more clear to CSS as he doesn't seem to be hiding his benevolence for her. She already has some feelings for him but they are deep within her subconscious. Also she is not even looking at him as a prospect as he is way out of her league status wise. So unless LBY tells her his feelings for her upfront she herself will wilfully ignore her own feelings towards him.

• Like 3

Hi everyone. I'm a bit behind, with only 4 episodes watched.

Overall,  I tend to like many things, including "no actual drama scenes" opening sequence and costumes( especially color palette).

Also, best acting by ZLS among all her dramas I've seen before. I'm very impressed. She reminded me Zhou Xun and Qin Lan a bit)). Good for her). 

Re Leo I would suggest he relaxes his face muscles a bit, and also seems he lost weight (???), I mean his face looks soo extremely skinny...I  personally preferred how he looked in Chang Le more, and his "prince knot" was more proportional to his face there as well.

I absolutely love the actress playing FL's mum- Zeng Li. I have seen a number of dramas with her, and she always creates unique complicated characters. 

What I'm very surprised about is that I have not fallen in love with any of the characters, including the leads. The story itself is definitely captivating and intriguing, but the characters are not likable. Everyone has his own agenda and does questionable things. So far they do not correspond with the drama title at all(((. I hope with the progress of the story it will become more of a love story they promised us))). 

• Like 2

Was close to dropping but hung on for Leo ha-ha. What a beautiful man indeed. Be still my heart.

Lu Si for me just keep playing the same roles. Her character Shao Shang is like Chang Ge from "The Long Ballad" which is like a swap/ switch as her character there was meek & sort of annoying LoL. 

Shao Shang has got 3 suitors one of which is of course Gen. Ling; her best match obviously. The other 2 can't compare. 

Love her interactions with her third aunt. Her mom on the other yikes. The child actress that played Xiao Mei was good. She showed a lot of potential. A shame she died so young. The other comic relief are Ling's father-like figure , the Emperor - "Why does he only have 1 daughter!??!" LMFAo!! Ling's chubby guard is also comedy gold.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I'm loving this drama series. 

I am crossing my fingers into knots that it won't bomb anytime.

All characters are just great. The CSS's grandma is typical grandma, favoring boys...hehehe!

The 3rd uncle's center of his universe is his wife. 

Gen Ling can speak volumes with just his eyes...swooonnn!!!

CSS's dad is just the right balance of tough general and loving hubby to his wife.

Mother is typical tiger Mom.

• Like 3

Am also watching this for ZLS and am enjoying it thus far. 

But it seems I walked into the trap of a two part drama in CDrama land too.

So the Niaoniao and Lou Yao arc will play through the rest of part 1 while we watch Ling Buyi pine stoically and drown his sorrows in wars? 

hmmm….

• Like 2

As ep. go on, Shao Shang's mom is actually a very decent parent, never thought I'd say that LoL! Just a tad overprotective? Typical of a Chinese mom I guess. 'Cause the dads aren't that different either but in Shao Shang's case, he's playin' the "good cop", while mom is "bad cop" LoL. 

Even mommy dearest can tell that Gen. Ling is the better choice. What to do LoL daughter is stubborn as heck tsk. I actually want Shao Shang to go ahead with the marriage, maybe then she'd learn ; the hard way no doubt. 

My heart just aches for poor Gen. Ling who does anything and everything but the girl is just... sigh LoL. I find it refreshing though 'cause normally the otp will be together by now. So this hesitance & reluctance from fl is a nice change. 

Her in-laws WoW what a bunch of vipers tsk. Just waiting to attack Shao Shang at every turn & I dare say Shao Shang deserves it LoL. She is just so adamant that Lou is the right man. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

19 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

As ep. go on, Shao Shang's mom is actually a very decent parent, never thought I'd say that LoL! Just a tad overprotective? Typical of a Chinese mom I guess. 'Cause the dads aren't that different either but in Shao Shang's case, he's playin' the "good cop", while mom is "bad cop" LoL. 

Even mommy dearest can tell that Gen. Ling is the better choice. What to do LoL daughter is stubborn as heck tsk. I actually want Shao Shang to go ahead with the marriage, maybe then she'd learn ; the hard way no doubt. 

My heart just aches for poor Gen. Ling who does anything and everything but the girl is just... sigh LoL. I find it refreshing though 'cause normally the otp will be together by now. So this hesitance & reluctance from fl is a nice change. 

Her in-laws WoW what a bunch of vipers tsk. Just waiting to attack Shao Shang at every turn & I dare say Shao Shang deserves it LoL. She is just so adamant that Lou is the right man. 

I know right?

Sometimes the only way to learn a lesson is to learn it the hard/ difficult way. 

Anyway, I have high hopes for the OTP being together soon.

I also agree that the mother  may be a tad overprotective since a lot has happened to the failed upbringing of CSS and she had no say with it. The manipulations of the Aunt was really very disappointing to say the least. 

• Like 2

I can’t wait anymore! When are they getting together? I love the drama so far, but I’m ready for the real dynamics of the main couple to begin. Love the support cast - like someone else said, the dad and the fat soldier are the cutest and have the best facial expressions! 

• Like 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] Love like the Galaxy 星汉灿烂 premiered July 5, starring Zhao Lu Si & Leo Wu

Tencent just released a MV today.

@rocat if you want to be spoiled, read what's in the spoiler below. If not, just wait it out. :hwaiting2:

The trajectory of the drama is (as what I understand from someone who summarised the novel)

Spoiler
Spoiler

CSS first has an engagement with Ah Yao, then this gets broken off (from what I understand, because his first fiancé's family has been mostly decimated and it's the honourable thing for him to do, i.e. to take care of her). This is happening in E23 & 24.

Then the good General gets engaged with her but in a fit of rage, he massacres a family who is related to his family's death [apparently he finds out that his father and mother are actually an uncle and an aunt, probably his own parents' death have something to do with this two]. His engagement with CSS gets broken off and he is sent off in exile for five years. The Empress who has taken to CSS as if she were her own daughter encourages her to get engaged to Yuan Shen believing that he is a good partner in life for her. During this time, CSS enters the Cold Palace with the Empress and serves her as a court lady. [For the backstory on why the Empress has to enter the Cold Palace, look for an earlier post explaining a video that was posted.] Though CSS doesn't love him but she gets engaged with Yuan Shen; all this while LBY remains in her heart.

Five years later, LBY has redeemed himself by winning a war, regains favour and his place in Court. He asks Yuan Shen to break off the engagement with CSS though Yuan Shen is reluctant to. Later on Yuan Shen finds out just how much LBY has been quietly doing for his (YS) family and the acts of love that the two love-birds have been carrying out for each other, and breaks off the engagement. LBY courts CSS all over again, and finally the two are married.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1

I am also hoping that the end of Part 1 will be the only sad part but the entire of Part 2 will be happy.

I am feeling much sympathy for LBY. He has been through so much and the girl he likes is apparently not into him yet.

Let's get on with the romance, drama gods!! 

The hot and sticky looks that LBY and CSS (mainly from LBY!!)are exchanging makes me giddy!! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

Ok engagement to Lou? Annulled.

Romance with Bu Yi? It's on! And the Emperor supports it 100% LoL. But oops there's still 1 love rival left to deal with. 

I couldn't care less for Yuan tbh LoL. The man is annoying, arrogant ugh just a jerk. I didn't like him on "The Oath of Love" either.

More than annoying love rivals are the catty women. Dear Lord. After getting out of Lou's awful family, Shao Shang may now need to deal with the other ladies at court. Oy facepalm.

Qi Qi and Shao Shang's bro are adorable. She has to be responsible for him forever LoL. I laughed hard when the Emperor mentions Bu Yi reminded him of his younger self ha-ha!! 

• Like 4

Just joining the party now, sorry I am late lol.   I am enjoying this drama very much. (I saw 8.7 /10 on one of the sites and I am glad ....i think I would go even 8.9  )  

The characters are varied and plenty . Our FL of course is funny, street smart  and I love her mouthy dialogue . ML fell for her just by hearing her and only seeing her hand ...but he got her name and the poor guy has never been the same ...I love his care and his selflessness even when she got engaged to Yao. The teacher I think is also in love , for the first time in his life and he too fell in love just by hearing her answer to the riddle . He does not know how to love another person , besides himself lol ....so he is fumbling and being catty with our FL instead of admitting what his real fascination is with this woman that is almost 180 degrees his opposite. Father and Mother are characters of their own..and I get the kick seeing Shao Shang doing something exactly like her parents....there was a good orchestra in the slapping spree and when she returned with her father in ep 22 they identically swoosh their chest energies to disperse stress of the moment .  

p.s grateful for the subbed  episodes 

• Like 6

I saw the preview of E27, and I burst out laughing. Actually CSS' mother should have said

Spoiler

put her down, instead she said 'hands off' and our dear General literally did that. The director and scriptwriter have such a great sense of humour...

@jadore1 better late than never. Glad you are here too. It's an enjoyable watch, the humour is such a welcome relief from some of the episodes where the sorrow takes its toll. 

@ElleSor as I guessed, the climax of angst will be in Part 2, probably around E8-10 I reckon.

• LOL 1

So I just started this drama like 2 days ago and I am up to Ep  13. I am totally loving it, I can't wait to see what is going to happen. I just hope I don't have to wait to long for season 2, this way I can just hop into it.

• Like 2

I loved the scene of their conversation in the ginkgo tree lined avenue - so pretty colours, the falling leaves, and LBY’s loving gaze … wow. Even when he knew that SS was going to marry someone else, LBY still wished the best for her and said he would help suggest to the Emperor to assign LY a not-so-backward place for his job, so that they will not suffer too much. He understood SS’s desire to escape from the confinements of her household and the rules of LY’s big and complicated family.

Too bad for LY that things did not turn out the way he wished. I pity LY for having to sacrifice personal happiness for doing ‘the right thing’. SS lamented her bad luck but we viewers know that good things are in store for her :fullofhearts:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, omiki said:

I loved the scene of their conversation in the ginkgo tree lined avenue - so pretty colours, the falling leaves, and LBY’s loving gaze … wow. Even when he knew that SS was going to marry someone else, LBY still wished the best for her and said he would help suggest to the Emperor to assign LY a not-so-backward place for his job, so that they will not suffer too much. He understood SS’s desire to escape from the confinements of her household and the rules of LY’s big and complicated family.

Too bad for LY that things did not turn out the way he wished. I pity LY for having to sacrifice personal happiness for doing ‘the right thing’. SS lamented her bad luck but we viewers know that good things are in store for her :fullofhearts:

I agree with the tree lined scene. 

So pretty! I feel for LBY in this drama.

He's really lost and needs someone to love him really hard.

CSS is starting to feel for our General but she just hasn't analyzed it well enough to get to a romantic conclusion.

• Like 3

Just finished eps23/24….oh the catty women in court! The haughtiness, superiority-complex is incredible. 

Finally, what should happen has happened. I find the development strangely out of rhythm - the confession scene brought more pain than glee. Also, CSS hasn’t quite warmed up to LBY so it feels out of whack.

Spoiler

LBY’s marriage proposal played out like a trap. Did he go to the banquet intending to force everyone into their corners? He confessed in front of the king and an audience, quite sure he was going to get his way. So sly. How could he not tell or hint to anyone about it, especially the bride to be? How could that be the first time she hears how head over heels he is? 

I am not sure his adoration of her was plain to see - perhaps the many damsel saving efforts are enough for him, but she doesn’t know for sure why he’s being so gallant until the soliloquy on banquet day though she must have her suspicions. After all those encounters, still, there’s no affective reaction from CSS to his declaration. It’s almost like he read an imperial edict that all must stoically accept. 

Nevertheless, I did like the very last swoon worthy save from the broken ceramic pieces thrown by the ghastly girls, and the protective hand holding after. 

not feeling it yet though.

He is forthright about what he wants and is correct about CSS being a suitable match - he does need someone smart, brave and strong to weather storms alongside him. The willowy ones who run crying to grannies or daddies won’t make the cut.

My heart went out to CSS when her mom, in trying to weasel out of the marriage with LBY, vilified, belittled and tore her into pieces. Poor girl looked like she was trying so hard not to cry. So proud of her for standing tall.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1