[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Love like the Galaxy 星汉灿烂

pad-hari

calendar.jpg

Credit: MDL, Tencent

Here's the airing calendar. For VIP, all 27 will be out by 27 July (what a coincidence), or else, for non-VIP
viewers, 9 August.

This week, it airs from Tuesday to Saturday (2 eps everyday), then from next week onwards, Tuesdays - Thursdays (2 eps per day).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I find it amazing that the two leads haven't really met face to face and I'm already in episode 4. 

In spite this, I am quite invested in the drama and I am willing to watch it and wait for their meet cute, if there's any. 

• Like 2

@caterpillar59 dunno if their romance is comedic but the surrounding cast look like it. Though I must say the underlying themes are rather dark. The family on the surface, with the dramatic Matriach/ grandmother who expects her sons to treat her like a spouse, and the unusually cheerful general father tend to make us laugh. But the dynamics in the family is really quite, quite dismaying as a viewer, IMO.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@caterpillar59 dunno if their romance is comedic but the surrounding cast look like it. Though I must say the underlying themes are rather dark. The family on the surface, with the dramatic Matriach/ grandmother who expects her sons to treat her like a spouse, and the unusually cheerful general father tend to make us laugh. But the dynamics in the family is really quite, quite dismaying as a viewer, IMO.

Yeah, I expect some misery in the middle to end episodes. 

I am enjoying the female leads antics...so cute but not so over the top.

As for the male lead, yes, I love his stone face and small secret smiles.

I expect he must have met the female lead before, when they were younger?

• Like 2

I am really enjoying this show. I have watched till 10 epis & they have maintained the balance between frivolous & serious very well according to me. 

Our FL CSS is in a very rare situation vis a vis her family. She was mistreated since birth by her grandma & 2nd aunt. She kept hope that her situation would improve with the return of her parents & in a way it did. Her father, brothers 3rd uncle-aunt, even her sister dote on her. But her mother is an adversary that she didn't expect. And her mother's unreasonable attitude towards her hurts her more than the ill treatment she received for so many years. 

I can't understand the insurmountable pride that her mother feels she needs to protect. She cannot accept her daughter with all her shortcomings which she does know were no fault of her. She does love her daughter but she always chooses her pride over her daughter. She left her after birth because she couldn't bend in front of her MIL & SIL. Even after her return she keeps on treating CSS harshly cause she cannot take pride in her. To complicate the matter she favours YY unreasonably. She says it is because of the obedient nature of YY but I think it is once again a game of pride for her with her SIL. She wants to show her SIL that she is a much bigger person than her by treating her daughter so favourably. It is a blessing that the sisters do not carry any grudges toward each other despite their mothers meddling. I frankly do not sympathize or empathize with her. 

I am frankly grateful that CSS is moving away from her mother's because her mother brings out the worst in her. CSS is stubborn but not prideful. She keeps on being stubborn to see whether her mother would give in even once only to further incur her wrath. Thank God she will be away from her mother who only shows disappointment in her by keeping tabs of her faults without giving recognition to even one of her good quality. CSS will flourish under the guidance of her 3rd aunt. 

I like LBY as well. His part of the story is the one with the intrigue & severity. I am really is interested in his backstory & how far he will be willing to go for revenge. CSS brings out a mischievous side of him. Though he emphasized on falling in love at 1st sight, I am glad that the show took efforts to show that it was a case of 1st impression. He was intrigued by her intelligence since the moment they met & her impression kept on improving & finally when he actually saw her, his liking for her anchored. 

CSS-LBY interactions have been few but impactful. I love their camaraderie. CSS doesn't seem to harbour any romantic interest towards anyone. But CSS-LBY have developed a sort of trustful partnership despite CSS being constantly suspicious of him. They both make a good team whether to retrieve a highly confidential map or to prank the frivolous aristocratic brats. 

20 hours ago, Karishma Gaikwad said:

CSS-LBY interactions have been few but impactful. I love their camaraderie. CSS doesn't seem to harbour any romantic interest towards anyone. But CSS-LBY have developed a sort of trustful partnership despite CSS being constantly suspicious of him. They both make a good team whether to retrieve a highly confidential map or to prank the frivolous aristocratic brats. 

I know right? Their interactions are so adorable.

I love how they both get what the other was implying during their 2nd encounter under the bridge.

She got what he meant when he knocked on the vital piece of wood and he understood her need to get revenge.

• Like 2

LBY gave me butterflies in the stomach 

Spoiler

when CSS was pulling out the arrow and he was looking at her intently.  Arrggghhh!!!

And when she asked if it hurt...and he was concerned if her hands hurt. I just died!!!!:fullofhearts:

I love how he looked at her. I think Wu Lei stole my heart right there and then.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

On 7/5/2022 at 8:43 PM, SC2019 said:

Credit: MDL, Tencent

Here's the airing calendar. For VIP, all 27 will be out by 27 July (what a coincidence), or else, for non-VIP
viewers, 9 August.

This week, it airs from Tuesday to Saturday (2 eps everyday), then from next week onwards, Tuesdays - Thursdays (2 eps per day).

Heard there is a schedule change from 2 eps from Tuesday to Thursday to  one episode from Tuesday to Saturday. Please tell me that is not true!! I prefer 6 episodes per week vs. 5. 

• Unamused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/9/2022 at 4:52 AM, Karishma Gaikwad said:

I am really enjoying this show. I have watched till 10 epis & they have maintained the balance between frivolous & serious very well according to me. 

Our FL CSS is in a very rare situation vis a vis her family. She was mistreated since birth by her grandma & 2nd aunt. She kept hope that her situation would improve with the return of her parents & in a way it did. Her father, brothers 3rd uncle-aunt, even her sister dote on her. But her mother is an adversary that she didn't expect. And her mother's unreasonable attitude towards her hurts her more than the ill treatment she received for so many years. 

I can't understand the insurmountable pride that her mother feels she needs to protect. She cannot accept her daughter with all her shortcomings which she does know were no fault of her. She does love her daughter but she always chooses her pride over her daughter. She left her after birth because she couldn't bend in front of her MIL & SIL. Even after her return she keeps on treating CSS harshly cause she cannot take pride in her. To complicate the matter she favours YY unreasonably. She says it is because of the obedient nature of YY but I think it is once again a game of pride for her with her SIL. She wants to show her SIL that she is a much bigger person than her by treating her daughter so favourably. It is a blessing that the sisters do not carry any grudges toward each other despite their mothers meddling. I frankly do not sympathize or empathize with her. 

I am frankly grateful that CSS is moving away from her mother's because her mother brings out the worst in her. CSS is stubborn but not prideful. She keeps on being stubborn to see whether her mother would give in even once only to further incur her wrath. Thank God she will be away from her mother who only shows disappointment in her by keeping tabs of her faults without giving recognition to even one of her good quality. CSS will flourish under the guidance of her 3rd aunt. 

I like LBY as well. His part of the story is the one with the intrigue & severity. I am really is interested in his backstory & how far he will be willing to go for revenge. CSS brings out a mischievous side of him. Though he emphasized on falling in love at 1st sight, I am glad that the show took efforts to show that it was a case of 1st impression. He was intrigued by her intelligence since the moment they met & her impression kept on improving & finally when he actually saw her, his liking for her anchored. 

Thanks for the summary. I have not started the drama and is waiting for more episodes to be released.

Sad to read the amount of trauma CSS have experienced. It's not surprising she has no romantic interest towards anyone. It sounds like life has taught her she can't rely on anyone but herself. 

• Like 2

relationship-map---LLTG.png

Genealogy map (click/ scroll to zoom in) | Credit: Tencent

Translations are somewhat rough but should give you enough insights into the characters.

As you can see from the map, though CSS has an elder brother who is in the military and was an accomplished scholar, he doesn't seem to be appearing in the story (there is no face to the name). It's only the 2nd and 3rd brother.

@transki I have not heard anything yet. Non-VIPs get one episode per day, so I don't think the VIPs will be too happy if their privileges were to be removed, and they view at the same pace as non-VIPs...doesn't make sense. If anything I thought tencent would speed up the airing process. Immortal Samsara is rumoured to premiere month end, and it will be a fight for viewers during this summer season again. After the anime has been launched, Love btwn Fairy and Devil will also likely to be out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow surprised not that busy here.  I binged watched all the way to episode 12 in 1 day.  

It’s hard when ur left to hang dry for few days before new episodes come out.

first off I found what may happen

Spoiler

LB discovers his biological parents/family were murdered. Therefore he lost it and declared revenge by killing on those responsible.  It leads to him sent away for 5 years.  He returns and finds FL betrothed to someone else

l hope FL can repair her relationship with her mother.  they are similar and it’s really sad seeing them against each other.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mizv said:

Wow surprised not that busy here.  I binged watched all the way to episode 12 in 1 day.  

It’s hard when ur left to hang dry for few days before new episodes come out.

first off I found what may happen

Hide contents

LB discovers his biological parents/family were murdered. Therefore he lost it and declared revenge by killing on those responsible.  It leads to him sent away for 5 years.  He returns and finds FL betrothed to someone else

l hope FL can repair her relationship with her mother.  they are similar and it’s really sad seeing them against each other.

LB's mother is alive but mentally affected & the Duke is his father who remarried. We saw his father when LB's betrothal was being celebrated. 

LB already has vowed revenge on people who seem to have destroyed his mother's family. 

I agree that LB may be busy with his military operations & hence miss out on proposing to CSS before she gets engaged. As per the synopsis of the story seems like CSS will be engaged & break off these engagements twice before she becomes united with LB. This is where the other candidates come in - HL & YS. Let's see how the story unfolds. 

Regarding CSS & her mother; her mother needs to look beyond her initial impressions of CSS & get out of everything is wrong with CSS mindset. She is trampling all over CSS's spirit in her high-handedness. I think this relationship will start to mend only after the mother somehow does something which would badly impact CSS & she realises her mistakes. 

I agree. So surprised how little activity there is here. Is there a different page? I’m so love in with this drama and the main leads. Eeekkk. This actor is making me swoon. Also, what’s with Luis’s character and the queen? Any translate this? Seems like her real mother is the queen???? 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I just re-watched epi 6 & the confrontation between the mother & CSS is one of the best smackdowns ever. :thumbsup:

CSS was terrific in her arguments & didn't allow her mother to trample on her. Everyone in the room knew that the mother was being blatantly biased towards YY but CSS just wouldn't let it go. All these situations only serve to remind CSS that she can only rely on herself. Her father & Bros do support her but they are mostly ineffective against her mother. CSS is the only formidable opponent to her mother & that is just another reason due to which the mother becomes fiercer in face of what she sees as CSS's defiance. 

Going with the theory that CSS’s bio mom is the queen, it was weird in the birth scene that we only heard 1 baby cry. There was no fuss about a second baby coming. And then out popped another baby. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mizv said:

Wow surprised not that busy here. 

5 hours ago, smlinwa said:

So surprised how little activity there is here.

I would love to watch it ASAP, just don't have time for the second drama (I'm already watching one) :bawling:. So I try to avoid reading this thread not to spoil myself. I've seen it's rated 8.5 on mydramalist, so I suppose it's very good))). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smlinwa said:

Going with the theory that CSS’s bio mom is the queen, it was weird in the birth scene that we only heard 1 baby cry. There was no fuss about a second baby coming. And then out popped another baby. 

nope @smlinwa that's not what the video you posted mentioned. Here's a sypnosis of the video.

The drama is based on the novel, I believe the youtuber is giving a sypnosis of the novel, and not the drama, unless she is privy to what's going to air in the coming episodes.

In the drama Cheng Shao Shang (CSS) is one of the female characters who has had a difficult life but there is another one whose life is just as difficult - the Empress. CSS has neither experienced love nor how to love. However, she experiences this with the Empress who gives her love, and teaches her etiquette as well as how to give and forbearance while providing her with a sense of security. The motherly love that CSS lacks, she obtains from the Empress. To CSS, the Empress lights up her life and she is willing to do anything for her (the Empress).

[There is a scene where CSS breaks up with LBY and she enters the palace and begs that she be allowed to remain by the Empress' side (this is a very heart-breaking episode).]

Back story of the Empress

The Empress' father passed away when she was young and she was taken in by her her maternal uncle. This uncle served the Emperor closely and together, they overcame difficult times. When peace descended upon the country, the Uncle (probably intending to secure more power through maritial ties) could not offer his own daughter to the Emperor in marriage as they are from the same clan; instead he offered his neice who is from a different clan (surname) and that is how she was betrothed to the Emperor. She did not want to be in this marriage but had no choice as she owned a debt of gratitude to her Uncle for raising her. And that is how she became married to the Emperor, t'was a loveless marriage though he treated her appropriately and fairly. On the contrary, the Emperor's concubine was his childhood sweetheart. As head of the harem, the Empress held the reputation of a kind-hearted and gentle person.

About the Crown Prince (CP)

The Crown Prince whose mother is the Empress lacks talent and bows under pressure to the Crown Princess (his wife), allowing cronyism to take place (this probably leads to things getting out of hand along the way). Had it not been Ling Bu Yi (LBY) who covered up his dirt tracks all these years, he would not have held onto his CP position for this long. It reaches a point where this can no longer be tolerated and LBY collaborates with the Third Prince, to reveal his wrong-doings to the Emperor. The Emperor is left with no choice but to remove him from this position. However, if the CP's dirty linen is aired in public as justification for his removal, it will be a blow to his reputation and the other princes' lives will be at stake (probably in-fighting among the other children).

The Empress steps down

To maintain harmony in the Royal Family, the Empress steps down from her position. As she is no longer the Empress, her son can also no longer be the CP. The Concubine is promoted as Empress and the Third Prince is named CP. This is a major cause for celebration for the Third Prince (who is far more talented than his older brother, the former CP) who has coveted this position for himself and his mother. Although he did no wrong and did not harm the Empress' son but this entire incident has left a bad aftertaste. The Empress moves into the Cold Palace.

The Aftermath

The Empress feels agrieved; after all she fostered LBY and showed him motherly affection as the adopted mother. Yet, LBY turns around and brings her son down, by collaborating with the other woman's son. Though her own son is to be blamed for his actions, she cannot but feel saddened by the whole incident. Because of this incident, CSS (unclear whether she breaks off her engagement with LBY because of this or for other reasons) decides to accompany the Empress in the Cold Palace for a stint of five years. To the Empress, this is her little ray of 'sunshine' and comfort.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

nope @smlinwa that's not what the video you posted mentioned. Here's a sypnosis of the video.

The drama is based on the novel, I believe the youtuber is giving a sypnosis of the novel, and not the drama, unless she is privy to what's going to air in the coming episodes.

In the drama Cheng Shao Shang (CSS) is one of the female characters who has had a difficult life but there is another one whose life is just as difficult - the Empress. CSS has neither experienced love nor how to love. However, she experiences this with the Empress who gives her love, and teaches her etiquette as well as how to give and forbearance while providing her with a sense of security. The motherly love that CSS lacks, she obtains from the Empress. To CSS, the Empress lights up her life and she is willing to do anything for her (the Empress).

[There is a scene where CSS breaks up with LBY and she enters the palace and begs that she be allowed to remain by the Empress' side (this is a very heart-breaking episode).]

The Empress' father passed away when she was young and she was taken in by her her maternal uncle. This uncle served the Emperor closely and together, they overcame difficult times. When peace descended upon the country, the Uncle (probably intending to secure more power through maritial ties) could not offer his own daughter to the Emperor in marriage as they are from the same clan; instead he offered his neice who is from a different clan (surname) and that is how she was betrothed to the Emperor. She did not want to be in this marriage but had no choice as she owned a debt of gratitude to her Uncle for raising her. And that is how she became married to the Emperor, t'was a loveless marriage though he treated her appropriately and fairly. On the contrary, the Emperor's concubine was his childhood sweetheart. As head of the harem, the Empress held the reputation of a kind-hearted and gentle person.

The Crown Prince whose mother is the Empress lacks talent and bows under pressure to the Crown Princess (his wife), allowing cronyism to take place (this probably leads to things getting out of hand along the way). Had it not been Ling Bu Yi (LBY) who covered up his dirt tracks all these years, he would not have held onto his CP position for this long. It reaches a point where this can no longer be tolerated and LBY collaborates with the Third Prince, to reveal his wrong-doings to the Emperor. The Emperor is left with no choice but to remove him from this position. However, if the CP's dirty linen is aired in public as justification for his removal, it will be a blow to his reputation and the other princes' lives will be at stake (probably in-fighting among the other children).

The Empress steps down

To maintain harmony in the Royal Family, the Empress steps down from her position. As she is no longer the Empress, her son can also no longer be the CP. The Concubine is promoted as Empress and the Third Prince is named CP. This is a major cause for celebration for the Third Prince (who is far more talented than his older brother, the former CP) who has coveted this position for himself and his mother. Although he did no wrong and did not harm the Empress' son but this entire incident has left a bad aftertaste. The Empress moves into the Cold Palace.

The Aftermath

The Empress feels agrieved; after all she fostered LBY and showed him motherly affection as the adopted mother. Yet, LBY turns around and brings her son down, by collaborating with the other woman's son. Though her own son is to be blamed for his actions, she cannot but feel saddened by the whole incident. Because of this incident, CSS (unclear whether she breaks off her engagement with LBY because of this or for other reasons) decides to accompany the Empress in the Cold Palace for a stint of five years. To the Empress, this is her little ray of 'sunshine' and comfort.

Wow looks like there's lot of story left to be told.  I didn't realise from the trailers of the show that so much palace drama would be involved. It is mentioned in the show that LB is the adopted son of the emperor so I guess palace drama is inevitable. But I am more intrigued regarding LB's revenge plot. His revenge spree might be the cause of him being banished/punished. LB's killing spree in one of the trailers was chilling to witness.

3 hours ago, SC2019 said:

The Empress steps down

The Aftermath

Thanks for the explanation. 

I am sad that our OTP  might be/will be separating for 5 years.:heartbreak:

Palace intrigues and politics can be tough on the love life during the olden days.

But I still look forward to more episodes.

I heard that there may be part 1 and part 2 of the drama to accommodate the long storyline?

• Like 2