[Drama 2021] Red Shoes, 빨강 구두

Lmangla

On 7/23/2021 at 8:51 PM, sal2 said:

wow, did not see this coming. HK using Gemma shoes design telling the press that it is HB design, but Gemma reviling the stealing true an article in same episode. Can not wait to see HK face when she realize Gemma is her daughter and she treated her like this. She have lost any change for any type of rebuilding bond with her daughter. 

yea I was surprised at this; am liking that gemma really has a bite at the moment. she isn't taking things on her chin and instead hitting back. her smirk and water slap of hye bin was actually fun to watch. her comment "sometimes the free sample is better than the product. example an eco-friendly bag that comes with cup of coffee" -- bawahahahhah... nice come back gemma! 

1 hour ago, Chickpea said:

One good thing, though.  When all is revealed the leads are all cousins so no couples can be shipped and that's a good thing because none of these characters should be allowed to procreate. 

hahahha... is that why we are getting dashes of romance this early? but am liking the easy going vibe between ki seok and gemma that they are both quite open they like each other. and the interactions between them were rather cute to watch. makes it more interesting than the hide and seek that happens for many episodes in other dramas. so that probably means a breakup soon? and hyun seok is clearly more interested in gemma than hye bin. this is going to blow up in his face because gemma is very clear about who she wants....

12 hours ago, maribella said:

I think the nail-in-the-coffin part will come from Mr Kwon. Gemma would do her part but the last stroke would not come from her. She will say ' my omma'. 
But Mr Kwon will not have such sentiments. He does not seem too attached to his daughter either.

yea, the couple may just destroy each other like a bunch of snakes. what I find interesting is that both of them have done so many questionable things that it just needs a spark to start tumbling down. so maybe gemma will be a shadow and just push buttons to make things happen. like with the shoe design stealing -- found it amusing that hee kyung couldn't figure out the bulletin post author was gemma but at the same time, from the designer chat box, it sounded like so many designers got their designs stolen that lora was infamous. so perhaps, min kyung can no longer identify who she steals from as just about every product design is stolen... 

17 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Hyun-Seok has a real bad memory or he sees alot more shoe designs than we the audience are aware of

maybe he is just being a guy with zero interest in shoes? kekekek.... 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

yea, the couple may just destroy each other like a bunch of snakes. what I find interesting is that both of them have done so many questionable things that it just needs a spark to start tumbling down. so maybe gemma will be a shadow and just push buttons to make things happen. like with the shoe design stealing -- found it amusing that hee kyung couldn't figure out the bulletin post author was gemma but at the same time, from the designer chat box, it sounded like so many designers got their designs stolen that lora was infamous. so perhaps, min kyung can no longer identify who she steals from as just about every product design is stolen... 

In the end, I see HK & Jin-Ah having an arms length kumbaya moment - something like this ...

After fierce competition/rivalries HK will learn at a critical moment that Jin-Ah is her daughter. Where she refused to see before, she will then recognize her 1st daughter inherited her design talent, and where HK gave in and made compromises and took short cuts, Jin-Ah stuck it out and fought for herself and for what was right.  HK will have the ability to take Jin-Ah down, but she won't - She will not abandon Jin-Ah a second time, she will throw herself on the proverbial sword, having seen in her daughter what she should've found in herself.  She'll go to jail ... Sloppy goes too

• Like 2
  • Awesome 4

7 hours ago, Lmangla said:

yea, the couple may just destroy each other like a bunch of snakes. what I find interesting is that both of them have done so many questionable things that it just needs a spark to start tumbling down. so maybe gemma will be a shadow and just push buttons to

The way they set up her vanity made me think that they had separate bedrooms, but no they are still like real married couples. 

What to make of them? He says no, do this and that. She just ignores him.

• Like 6

Haha... if we considered irl and timing. It's ridiculous how fast they built the prototype shoe. 

It's also impossible for Hyebin to get any solid cred as you'd have to come up with multiple drafts to present for approval. Like any coworker would find it sus if you came out with a fully designed shoe outta nowhere.

And for these creative jobs, usually the company retains all sorts of ownership and authorship of the artist's work. So while by word of mouth, I'd assume even 'X' is credited as the creator, legally it'd be owned by their company. I don't think any of the ex-employee insider victims can get much compensation or proper credit even if they fight back. Heck, with the amount of money that Lora has, it makes it harder for them design students to sue. The most they'll get is a controversy.

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, tofumochu said:

And for these creative jobs, usually the company retains all sorts of ownership and authorship of the artist's work. So while by word of mouth, I'd assume even 'X' is credited as the creator, legally it'd be owned by their company. I don't think any of the ex-employee insider victims can get much compensation or proper credit even if they fight back. Heck, with the amount of money that Lora has, it makes it harder for them design students to sue. The most they'll get is a controversy.

well hopefully Gemma would not stick around for such pain and really have her own store. It will take time and so much competition but if got the ambition and the will, she can do it even if she has to sell in the streets first. There are many designers of wearables who started from rags to riches. If gangster grandma made it and her competition were tough mobsters, her life alone could fill a drama daily, so why could Gemma not start from scratch while she has the support and go that route for her revenge? Maybe more makjangeeee... if she goes to mama's company. There is some consolation in Jemma having fire in her. She is not an easy target. She is more like her mother than she knows. What does she have in store for mama? 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

EVENT ALERT! As many of the dramas are on a break for Olympics, we thought it will be fun to have an Olympics theme poll. What sports would you participate in if you were a super athlete? Join us for some sports related fun and chatter! 

re: @partyon, @Sleepy Owl, @confusedheart326, @agenth, @Lmangla 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

So after watching the latest episode I do think that your assessment on Designer Mom was more accurate than my own. I tried to defend some of her actions by saying that we should give her the benefit of doubt or something along those lines. But it seems that I was the one grasping for straws hoping that there could be a sense of decency left in her or atleast before she meets her initial demise and all. Oh well this simply means that her downfall is just going to be all that much sweeter in the end. That is unless the writer manages to mess it up somehow.

Now before I head of to my main post let me respond to a few things.

@chococarmela Thanks for your tip didn’t know that there was a drama by that name until you brought it up. Did check out some of the comments online and I can see where your frustration comes from. So till then I guess I will continue using the term Designer Mom unless I can think up something better or someone comes up with a better one.

@maribella thanks for your recommendation once more. Gave it a shot and have watched the first two or three episodes already. Enjoyed it immensely. Did watch a few more shows that were mentioned by some people so I do have a bit of collection to bide my time with atleast. As for romance it isn’t a big deal for me as long as there is a decent story going along. I mean I have watched a few shows where I felt that the romance was simply forced on perhaps just to add time or something. In those cases, I always felt that it would simply have been better if they focused more on other aspects of the story for a better drama. But that is something for another day, I guess.

Anyway, now moving on to the drama itself.

Spoiler

There was a bit of a confusing remark that someone brought up in regards to Designer Mums ambition and all. It was said that if she ends up sleeping with Scrooge simply for the sake of her ambition and all then she deserves to get the noose that was hinted at the start of the show and all. I kind of feel that is still harsh for her. I mean this is like saying that anyone that sleeps with another person should be offed. Okay if I was being a bit more accurate since that might sound harsher then we could simplify it by saying that anyone in a relationship cheating on her partner should face up dying. Look I get it cheating is bad. Heck call me old fashioned when I say/think that a person shouldn’t be in a relationship before marriage and all but killing of a cheater still feels a bit harsh. I am sure that we can come up with a better punishment than that. I guess hanging or the death penalty could a be a good deterrent for future gold diggers or frauds etc…

While we are on the topic of Designer Mom and perhaps sleeping with Scrooge it brings me to the part where her previous husband was abusive towards her especially when it came in regards to Sloppy and how he accused her of perhaps cheating with him and them living of him etc… I tried to argue that while being abusive was wrong and all. His actions stemmed from feeling insecure in regards to himself and his skills as well as perhaps being slightly jealous of the Ex and all. But after watching some of these recent episodes I would have to say that there is no smoke without any kind of fire (is that the correct term or did I mix them up will probably have to check it out later). I also said that perhaps his wife should have been more open especially since she knew just how sensitive he was in regards to all of this. But like I said this woman certainly seems far more devious than when we were first introduced too. For instance, she seemed to be initially hesitant to accept gifts of any kind from sloppy or be in his company for to long incase she got misunderstood. But her actions seemed to say otherwise a bit later. Such as when they went cake shopping for her kids she seemed to enjoy or atleast be happy for Sloppy caring about her kids to get that cake.

Then in the last episode we see her dress up fashionably for the meeting with Scrooge. Her husband feels uncomfortable about it to the point that he brings it up and even tells her that while he might not have issues with her dealing with the guy on a business sort of level, he certainly doesn’t want her to approach him as a woman. She seems to pass it off only for her to be later seen applying a scent of perfume. Now it could be totally innocent but I am starting to have my doubts regarding that. It could be more in line with her trying to allure him so that he drops his guard and give her what she wants and needs from him.

After all, look at what happened next the guy seemed to be drunk or more likely pretended to be drunk and asked her to forgive him if he acts out inappropriately because of his state and holds her from the backside. A pretty intimate action if I don’t say so. If she was truly uncomfortable about it, she should have tried to find a way to get out of the position perhaps make some sort of excuse so that he wouldn’t be offended. After all he has the power to prevent her from entering politics (or atleast the specific party that she wants to join).

Sloppy certainly has noticed all of this though he has remained silent for the time being. I guess he is fully aware that even if he were to ask her about it, he isn’t going to get an honest answer. Perhaps he also fears to hear it after all if a woman could abandon her family once for her ambition, then she could easily do so again and right now he is probably facing the first doze of Karma for trying to take a woman that wasn’t his in the first place. But like I was saying even if he were to ask her about it at the moment, she would simply make excuses that he was overreacting and that he should trust her etc… frankly I am told that they are clear signs that your partner is cheating on you. They not only keep denying the charges but pretend to be offended if you accuse them of so and bring up the trust card. Though at this moment she doesn’t seem to be even trying to hide her actions anymore. She is quite bold because she thinks that she already has everything in the bag.

Clearly this isn’t the case and she has jumped the gun. For instance, she thinks that blood ties are going to be far stronger than other ties. In this case she is under the impression that she is safe as long as they have a daughter since she is also his. Thus, she won’t get kicked out and based on the same ties the father/husband should hand over the family inheritance to their daughter. Since she has strong ties with their daughter, she will continue to allow her to live the comfortable life she wants and all. Unfortunately for her Sloppy has not only gotten wise to her game he also has realized just how much she is playing him. Thus, he is bringing in his stepson to curb her ambition. He may be a puppet president at the company but this still means that he has some level of power that she shouldn’t underestimate. For instance, I can still see him use the last bit of power that he has to handover the company to his stepson just before he steps down himself. Thus, all of his wife’s hard work goes down the drain.

Okay moving on to the main leads at this point. Liking the chemistry between the two. Just not getting it. They both seem to be giving of mixed signals which is just plain odd. I mean the guy is supposed to be suspicious of people because he was taken advantage of a few years ago. He even says so indirectly but at the same time he is being overfriendly at times with Gemma buy purchasing her gifts or taking her out for an expensive dinner. Granted he used the excuse that it was to congratulate her for getting the job. That may have been partially true but at the same time it was also to spend more time with her. Then he can’t even keep his facts straight which only puts Gemma in a bad position. Such as when Sagaji asks if the two of them are dating Gemma rightly points out that they aren’t. But the Professor says that they are. He didn’t discuss it with her and jumped the gun. It not only puts her in an embarrassing situation but also makes it seem like she is a dishonest person perhaps trying to hide something. I get the fact that the two of them can perhaps be friends without even being in the dating stage but if they want more isn’t it only right that they discuss it first with each other. That shows that each party respects the other and doesn’t try and take more than they are owed and all.

Now comes the part of Designer Mom stealing the designs of other people and using it as their companies or the fact that she should be suspicious that the most obvious suspect in the matter of exposing her fraud should be Gemma as she was the last one to see her designs and all. I want to bring up a few things in regards to this. Part of it is true she should be suspicious of Gemma no matter what after all she stole her designs last and she probably knows this as well. But here is the deal Gemma isn’t a total idiot from what I can tell and if my suspicious are actually correct. In this case I don’t think Gemma was an idiot and said that the company stole my design. She first got into touch with other potential victims because she knew that this wasn’t the first time that the company pulled such a stunt. She simply had the unfortunate luck of being on their receiving end two times. Once she got the verification from a few other victims it wouldn’t be hard to convince one of them hand over the designs that had been stolen and then put it up on the company website. This way Designer Mom would know that she is being targeted from someone but who that person would still be a mystery for the time being. Now if Gemma were to use her own designs it would be like pointing a large Neon Finger sign at herself. So, I suspect that she played it a bit smart. The only thing that at this point that is suspicious about the post is how the companies latest design is not only stolen but also designed by Sagaji (the daughter) is fake.

Now this is something that could have raised a red flag for Designer Mum. After all, how many people would actually be aware of this fact. Apart from it being an insider source and all the only person that would know this for certain would be the person that it was stolen from. Unless they talked about how their design was stolen and the person who was posting this complaint added that as well in their post and all. But in this case, she should have simply tried to summon Gemma and try to get to the bottom of this and perhaps try and buy her silence. It would after all be cheaper than the alternative and buy the design and all.

Someone brought up the fact that any designs at the company are fair game for them to use so nobody should be complaining about how their designs were stolen or how much hard work they put in since the company is still in their right to do so. Here is the thing we first have to see the full set of circumstances before we can admit to any of that. While it is certainly true that the company more or less owns anything that you do on company dime or at the company so said people don’t have all that much to complain. But in this case that wasn’t entirely true. The design that was stolen from Gemma was one that she made at home before joining the company itself. Granted when she handed over her portfolio to Designer Mum it could be considered as her giving them to the company thus becoming company property. Even then the right thing for the company to do is give her credit for them or come to an understanding that they will be using her designs but letting it out under Sagaji’s name. thus, the level of betrayal wouldn’t have been so high. Also, when it comes to the company stealing from others this rule doesn’t apply. If anyone remembers how Designer Mum stole from Gemma the first time.

Apparently, the company has arrangements with other shoe manufacturers or something. They probably let those shops manufacture shoes or purchase legal designs from them. Not a 100% sure what deal goes on with them. From over there she would take any design that caught her eye. Meaning those designs weren’t even sent to her company by the designers. Sure, one could say that those designs now belonged to the shoe shop so they were in their right to hand them over to Designer Moms company and all but that is a story for another day. Basically, what happens here is that Designer Mom is far to lazy and greedy to pay for said designs to the proper people and thinks that she will get away from all of this because they are a huge company with a lot of money and power to back them up. If anyone does come forward with such an accusation the company can easily laugh it off by pointing out how absurd such claims are. Why would such a major company steal from an unknown and that they are merely saying that to get something out of them. If one thinks about it rationally this makes a lot of sense. Now even if these victims were to take them to court, they would eventually end up loosing since they don’t have the funds to fight with them for long. Ofcourse things can get a whole lot different if more than one victim decides to get into the action at the same time. What are they called Class Action Suits? That would place the company in a bit of a jam but who knows.

There was a bit where someone said that Designer Mum just threw away her chance to be on good terms with Gemma/her daughter. Something makes me wonder if right now Gemma isn’t totally on the path for revenge. Sure, it is there on the backburner and all but right now she is trying to form a bond of some kind with her mother so that she can perhaps go easy or eventually forgive her for abandoning her like that in the past. For instance, what would have actually happened if Designer Mom had actually recognized her as her daughter as she imagined, the shoe designs once again were her way of perhaps getting close to her mother and finding a way to bond with her. I mean if one thinks about it why does she even want to do shoe designs as her major. It is possible that was a dream but that was before her mother left her and all. After that what was her motivation to continue to do so. We have seen that she tried to give up her past once she changed her name and hates the fact if anyone brings it up even accidentally. In all this time the only time that she acknowledged her original name was when she introduced herself to her uncle aka Sleazy and that too only because it had been ages since he saw her and wouldn’t know or understand her if she simply called herself Gemma and it would take her longer to explain everything without the wrong people overhearing the conversation.

So, in this case it doesn’t make complete sense that she should choose shoe design as a major apart from a plot angle. I mean it is equally possible that while she hated her mother for abandoning them and all she wanted the mother to come and find them and know how they were doing. In that case she would design shoes and her mother who would see them would either somehow recognize that they were made by her or would come to inquire into the designer and would get to meet her and all. Instead, the mother outright stole them both times. The second time she might have thought that if her designs were actually good the mother might spend more time with her and perhaps better teach her how to improve and all. Sadly, none of her plans are going according to plan. Also, the more her mother looks down on her and favours the side of her current daughter things are going to go badly between them and make her go on the path of revenge.

There are certainly dramas where the parent and child don’t know about each other due to the birth secret and all but they still get along well. At times there are things that happen that may cause a bit of misunderstandings between the two or the parent will defend the action of their other child (by marriage or stepchild) and even slap the main lead or so. But the relationship is still salvageable. Sadly, over here they were on the wrong footing from day one so it seems hard to mend anytime soon. Not that I care.

Not getting the bit how everyone seems to be accusing Gemma of being a Gold Digger or someone with ulterior motives and all when a few episodes ago she was introduced as Loan Shark Granny’s daughter or grandchild. Yet they tend to treat her either as hired help or look down on her and think that she doesn’t know her place or that Loan Granny is just looking at her favourably and all. Can’t they take it at face value that she is indeed what she claims (or atleast what the Granny is saying). I get that this may come as a surprise since they have known Loan Granny for such a long time so it is a bit odd and all. But if asked Loan Granny could simply say that she was out of the country for all this time that is why she couldn’t introduce her back then or something along those lines. Heck even Playboy uses the Fake Aunt card when it suits him so it is totally possible and all.

Speaking of Playboy he needs to better learn how to read the room/situation that he is in. Sagaji rude as she is more aware of such things. For instance, when the two of them caught Gemma and Professor having a meal at that fancy restaurant Playboy simply barges in and not only introduces himself. Now this could have been ignored but then he has to go and add both himself and Sagaji to the meal plans and become third and fourth wheels into that conversation. I mean saying hello is one thing and the proper thing is to move on after all they should be entitled to their privacy same thing for his own with Sagaji and all. Then when Sagaji asks him out for a drink since she had a bad and embarrassing day at work, he tries to get Gemma to join in as well. The same rule applies over here if your girlfriend/fiancée wants a drink with you alone it generally means that they want a shoulder to cry on or talk about something important/private.

Unless Playboy is actually pretty smart and this is all part of his master plan. This being that he wants to clearly set the boundaries between himself and Sagaji. Private time means that he is sending a signal that he is interested in her in some sort of capacity and might be open to marrying her at some point. But on the other hand, if he is with her in the company of others it is like telling her look, we all are just a bunch of friends hanging out so don’t read anything into us being together at the moment and all. Otherwise, are you going to say next that you want to be with the Professor since you spent time with him as well etc… Again, in this case I feel that they are doing a disservice to Gemma since they aren’t being exactly open with her and using her like that. Since she doesn’t know what to expect you can be sure that Sagaji is not only going to accuse her of trying to come between her and Playboy but even get physical and to make matters worse her mother is probably going to not only side with her but also get physical with Gemma.

I guess the more this happens the more chances Designer Mom has of making things right with Gemma for everything that she wronged her with and all.

As for Clubber still don’t like him one bit. He hasn’t done a single thing for me to be impressed with or even saved the day somehow. Heck he even took some of the money that Loan Shark Granny gave to Gemma’s mother and aunt without their permission. That pretty much comes under theft. Good thing that he was family that they didn’t send him packing to the station for that. It probably also doesn’t help that nobody keeps him in the loop and for everything money related they tell him that they got it out of a committee that they are a part of. If they continue to do this way, he isn’t going to feel a bit guilty taking any of that money later on. Heck even his uncle feels a bit frustrated when the money that he ran of with is brought up and the lies that have been told to cover up the fact that it is actually Blood Money. So, the guy was conned from all that money. Not a bit sad to hear that. There is no such thing as easy money and he sort of got Karma come to him. Hopefully Gemma is going to recover said money somehow since she deserves it if at all. Atleast if Stepmom still had that money, they might have been living a comfortable life ages ago and Gemma would have been part of it due to her guilt atleast.

But then again it might be a good thing that the uncle ran of with it and got conned because the way Clubber has been living so far is being a drain on his family while everyone else in that house was earning for their living or would have done so. (Mother and Gemma were doing a job and brother had become a doctor/intern so even if he hadn’t started to earn it would only have been a matter of time before he did).

The only good thing about Sagaji at the moment is that she has a bit of conscience at the moment unlike her mother. It isn’t much but she has a small issue that the company perhaps shouldn’t be fully handed down to her since she has a brother even if he is her stepbrother and is the eldest. When the mother lied and claimed that the shoes were designed by her, she had a guilty look but couldn’t actually admit to the truth without embarrassing her own mother and make her look bad at the same time. When the truth was exposed, she confronted her mother and said that she would rather leave for the States or the fact that she didn’t ask her mother to make up such a lie. Granted it came too late and it would have been better if she had said conversation at home perhaps before the reveal to make me actually like her. Instead, she ends up getting slapped by her mother (wonder if that was the first time. Actually, caught me by surprise).

Designer Mom tries to justify her actions by pointing out that they were done for her sake just so that she could get the company in the future unless she wants to hand the company over to her stepbrother. What is even wrong with that. Can’t you learn how to share. The company is big enough for everyone to be happy by the end. It isn’t like they can finish all of it in their lifetime. Infact the Stepbrother probably has more right to the company as it is since it was funded/founded by his mother. Yet the greed of Designer Mom fails to see that and she would rather see that he doesn’t get anything from it. Had she perhaps been nicer towards him when he was young and even sided with him, she probably would have a few people in her corner by the time her career or life ended. The way she is going she is probably going to end up dying all alone. If anyone does show up at her deathbed or time of execution it would probably be to gloat that she has nobody or nothing by her side and is all alone.

Now on to other things for the time being.

@maribella are you talking about the haunted house that had Jung Nara in it. Amusingly had just finished watching that show before you mentioned it. Was a good one.

@sal2 Not surprised that Designer Mum stole Gemma’s shoe design and claimed it as her daughters. She really doesn’t have such a good track record as mentioned. Has been stealing others hard work for ages and claiming that it was done by her company. Plus, she is sort of getting desperate to hand over the company to her daughter rather than her stepson. So based on that alone she needs to get the daughter recognized and approved by the board/directors just so that people can’t say that she got her job only due to her connections and people like Gemma can’t make a dig at her. (Score for Gemma in that round). But I agree with you the more she wrongs Gemma like that the harder she will have of mending her relationship with her down the line. It was nice that the matter was resolved so quickly for a change so let’s see what big explosion that the writer is actually planning for down the line. Hope that they don’t use all of the impact now so that we only end up with a fizz down the line. Do agree that I would like to know the reaction of everyone once the true identity of Gemma is exposed. As of now I don’t have high hopes for how the mother has been treating Gemma all along. The noose at the start of show seems to indicate her fate and from that also we managed to gain that she seemed totally unremorseful for her actions. Unless that was all an act of bravado that she was putting up. It seems unlikely that she would feel any sort of guilt at how she has been treating people regardless of family ties and all. For her it is more of a survival mechanism and she will do anything to survive at this point rather than return to where she started and all. As of now you can feel that she has a small degree of emotion and can feel a bit guilty at times but when it comes to the matter of her survival or abandoning her current life style, we all know what choice she is going to make as they seem to trump over everything else. So in regards to this the sooner she discovers that Gemma is her daughter the higher the chance we are going to get of a possible redemption and reconciliation between the two. Sadly, this being a 100 episode show that isn’t going to happen not only that but we can be sure that there will be ton of people that would be glad to cause misunderstandings between the two and make them fester.

For instance, we can clearly have Sloppy be equally abusive as her previous husband once he discovers the truth and thinks that his wife has been playing him all along and whatnot. or he can try and further cause discord between the two by lying to Gemma that the mother is now aware of her identity but she wants nothing to do with her and would rather choose to be with him and all. If mother and daughter destroy each other along the way he gets back his empire so he wins out in the end. Hopefully Karma is bound to get him in the end as well. There is no way that I see a happy ending for him at this point for causing the death of her father and not taking any kind or responsibility for that at that moment.

@LeftCoastOppa What did I say give the Wardrobe Fairy a shot given the right circumstances and the people around get to shine. Gemma got a gift outfit, the workers just needed a good day and Sagaji just might have found her stride. Don’t get why Professor is suddenly so warm and flirty towards Gemma I mean just a few episodes back he was all hostile towards her for trying to move into his house and let her know that he didn’t fully trust her something along those lines and that if she was okay with that to move in. Yet now he wants to date her and whatnot. Mind you this is after knowing the fact that she is now legally registered as his Aunt and all. Yep, it certainly complicates things at this point. atleast his brother uses this more as a playful term when he wants to mess with her and all. He isn’t even trying to impress her and is just himself. Though at one point I did feel that he was slightly interested in her when he tried to dissuade Professor from dating her since she could be a fake after his money and all. I suspect that it wouldn’t have mattered to him given his personality of dating and then dumping people when he was done with them but knowing that it would affect his brother more if she had ulterior motives, he tried to dissuade him by giving him said warning. I would still say that it would be equally confusing with him trying to date her and all when he knows how the brother feels. But hey that is what you get when you watch a k-drama.

I do think that he is slowly reassessing his thoughts/feelings regarding Gemma though. After all, if she was interested simply in the family wealth it shouldn’t be that much of an issue which brother she dates especially if one shows more interest in her. Unless she is magically aware of a birth secret that the other isn’t. In that case since he has shown far more interest in her she should start trying to date him or use him whatever. Yet she has firmly shown that she is only interested in his brother and may even have feelings for him. Unless she was equally joking as she isn’t aware of her own heart as of now. Regardless we will know why Playboy will be on her side and hopefully he does that till the end no matter what is thrown her way. Would naturally have more impact if Professor does the same but that is simply because we need a reason to ship them. If he isn’t worthy then we will be discussing the pairings much like the previous drama and the two Oppa brothers. At this rate I am actually surprised that nobody simply started shipping them together though.

In regards to the water glass scene and no fallout I think that Professor might have given Gemma a piece of his mind since he seemed to be equally shocked at her reaction and wasn’t expecting that from Gemma. He might have thought that she was this gently type only to get a rude awakening of sorts. Then when he does go after her he simply realizes that Gemma is putting on a strong armor and all yet she needs a guy to depend on. Thus, we get the scene of her crying on his shoulder and all. Perhaps that is what got them to bond closer and all (so she can go for arm huggies and late night binging on Netflix or whatever goes for them)

As for Playboy and his memory I am more than willing to give him a pass in regards to that. I simply took it that while he has certainly seen the design when she showed it to him that night it was just that. If he isn’t all that into shoe fashion or that stuff. He would think ah that is a good shoe design and leave it at that. Since he just saw it once it would be easy for him to forget about it just seeing it again might not be enough for him to realize where he actually saw it and all. Something major needs to jog his memory perhaps he finds the sketchbook belonging to Gemma and realizes that it is hers and thus while going over it realizes where he saw the design or something along those lines. Perhaps he overhears Gemma complaining to Bestie what the company did to her etc… But other than that I feel like I can give him a pass regarding that.

But while we are on the topic of memory, I feel that this drama is certainly giving us its digs on it. Memory on whether or not the mother should recognize her daughter even after all this time or someone else recognizing another character. Now we have the shoe design incident. Who should recognize where it came from or figured out who could have reported the theft of design ideas etc…

Glad that you atleast like the name Siamese Twins for the annoying duo. Fortunately for you that you aren’t the only one that finds them annoying.

As for the shows during the break am hoping to watch Taxi Driver as recommended and have watched some of the shows that you are watching. Did manage to watch Devil’s Judge. Just don’t like the timing for that show. It is almost 1 hour and 20 minutes. Almost the length of a normal movie these days. It was for that very reason that I ended up dropping Mouse even though it seemed totally interesting and all. You Are My Spring haven’t watched the last 3 episodes but did give it a shot as well. Thoughts are somewhere in between. Haven’t heard of Red Sky so will have to look it up what it is about and all.

At this point I won’t be surprised if both husband and wife don’t try and off each other for whatever reason. I mean neither of them are where they initially started and any feelings that they had for each other are pretty much over. The only reason they probably stick around each other now is because as she puts it is too late for him to do anything about it since they are now a family legally (and even have a kid). Greed simply won’t allow them to leave any other way. Unless one of them can prove that the marriage was a fraud or the other was unfaithful getting a divorce is going to be next to impossible and messy if one tries at this point. So taking the other one out seems to be a more obvious choice at this point and all.

People have brought up the fact of how Playboy is now working at Sagaji’s company especially after refusing to marry her and whatnot. I think the better thing to do is kick her out of that company ASAP. I mean from what I can tell she doesn’t seem to do any work over there and is more interested in dating the guy than working. This is after her mother got her that spot and all. She should therefore be working twice as hard to prove that she belongs there instead of riding on her mothers’ coattails. Not only that but she is more than okay with stealing somebody elses hard work. Okay may give her a small pass on that one since she probably didn’t know what her mother did and may have simply thought that her mother was handing over one of her own designs and all. But regardless of that she would rather treat her co-workers to a meal prior to Playboy joining the company now she likes to spend as much time as possible with him and all. Other female leads are atleast competent at their jobs. We may like to joke and wonder just how much work do they actually do if they are so busy scheming and plotting to get rid of the main lead ie framing them, gathering intel on them etc.. but atleast as I pointed out we have been shown that they are good at their job. This can be seen by them being praised or getting awards etc.. but this isn’t the case for her. Atleast Gemma is good at her jobs so her digs score more points overall.

@maribella I don’t know if he isn’t all that fond of his daughter. Compared to his stepson she seems to have it better. She still gets to live at home and her mother knows that he has a bit of fondness for her because she tells her that the father is a bit mad at her choices so she should act cute and all thus he will give into her and all. Not sure if her acting cute at this age will really work though. Sloppy does seem to think that reputation is a bit important so he does threaten her if she doesn’t get her act straight, he will pack her off to the States once again. But since he isn’t doing so and is also allowing her to get married to they guy even after he ditched them and all says that he does harbour some sort of feelings towards her at this point.

If Gemma does get caught, who do you think will catch her and how will she get away. Will perhaps Playboy try and cover for her for some reason or be the one to catch her and the only way out will be to perhaps go out on a date with him which will eventually cause more misunderstandings between all the characters?

@Chickpea how are all the leads cousins? Gemma’s father wasn’t biologically related to Loan Shark Granny so Gemma isn’t related by blood to either of the guys at this point. At best she can be considered a Step cousin at this point. Even if that was the case, I have heard of cousins getting married in some places. I am guessing though that Korea isn’t one of them. As for Sagaji aka Hye Bin putting her in the cousin category doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me unless I am missing something. This is because she is from Sloppy’s side of the family. Sure, her mother was the wife of Gemma’s dad but once she married Sloppy those ties are sort of removed and at best, she can be considered the mother of Gemma and her brother who are related to the both of them by blood. But not in this case. I mean if you try and stretch this argument perhaps as an excuse for the her not to end up with Playboy then it might barely pass. As of now I think that they can all get married to whoever they want. Though Gemma will have to rectify her position in the family registry since she is considered to be the male leads aunt as of now.

As for the two week hiatus don’t have much of an issue over here. I mean I guess the show could still have worked for that time thus they would have a backup of episodes once the hiatus returns. This way incase some sort of emergency pops up ie actor getting sick or injured, or some problem on the writers end they would still be good for sometime and we wouldn’t lose out on much even if we found out. On the other hand, I say that the staff/crew/writer/cast get a well deserved rest for the time being so all is good. I have heard that at times the shooting schedule can be extremely hectic over there (to the point that one time one of the main leads got so stressed out that they left the country and had to apologize to everyone for their actions). Dramas are also notorious for not doing proper timings for their shoots but that is something else altogether. In this case just let them have the rest that they deserve. Hey who knows the writer may realize something important to improve their story thus we may end up with something even better than what they originally hoped for. But that is simply me having some wishful thinking on my part at this point.

@LeftCoastOppa Nice scenario. Hopefully we get something along those lines but I don’t want to hold my breath considering we saw a noose at the start of the show clearly indicating Designer Moms fate. Unless that was a Red Herring perhaps the noose was somebody else or she becomes suddenly remorseful at the last minute and someone decides to intervene regarding her fate.

@Lmangla Also am enjoying Gemma’s interactions between certain people and how she is going about certain things. The only issue that I have is that when it comes to her taking revenge on her mother and all is moving so slow that we don’t even know what her actual plan is in regards to this. Miss Monte Cristo atleast was clear as day in what she wanted. She wanted revenge on all those that wronged her and wanted to utterly destroy them and all. But over here Gemma still hasn’t gone over the plan even with herself. The only thing that she has said to herself is that she isn’t going to live as a nice girl anymore after her brother died. But let’s be honest that doesn’t count at the moment. When her father died, she was furious at the world including god. Yet she still tried to live a decent life perhaps thinking that she can make it happy and successful if she did. Regardless of her saying that she hasn’t actually done anything bad or even morally questionable at this point. Unless I have gotten soft to all the criminally deeds done by characters watching all these shows and all. Sure, she has gotten Bestie involved in her plans but what has actually come out of it nothing as of now. She hasn’t used those recordings in any way to her advantage. I mean unless she tricks Designer Mum into confessing her crime and secretly records it this isn’t going to work. Also, Designer Mum probably isn’t such a fool to confess to said crimes if she confronts her so it has to be by somebody else. Perhaps Playboy can do it but what does he gain from it all. Designer Mom might confess to him if she is confronted by him about revealing the secret but then again why do so at the restaurant where others can also overhear said conversation. Since they work at the same company it could probably be held over there.

Also, when it comes to Sagaji Gemma hasn’t done anything major against her apart from getting a dig back at her and all. I mean now that she knows the truth regarding her relationship to her, we could simply have her go two ways about it. She tries to show her sisterly affection and looks out for her or something along those lines. But since they aren’t connected by blood, I guess it makes sense that she doesn’t do so. The other thing is to be more hostile towards her or plot to ruin her life or career. As of now the only thing that she has done that can come slightly close to this fact is expose her mother for the theft of show designs and included her sister as a sort of accomplice. But like I pointed out she had no idea that the designs were probably stolen and at best Designer Mum is probably going to get off with it by apologizing to the public and perhaps agreeing to compensate some of the designers. That is if we want to see her get of lightly for the time being. But other than that, there seems to be nothing on the revenge front. Now that wouldn’t be an issue for me mostly but since this is set out to be a Revenge Drama, I want that front to start moving forward. Hopefully by episode 20 we will see some progress regarding it all or atleast after the break.

@tofumochu While I will agree that getting the shoes out so quickly might be impossible unless they have the Flash working for them at speed dial or something along those lines (super advanced tech LoL). But in regards to the multiple drafts for approval can be easily waved of at this time. Her mother is incharge of all that Red Tape and could have simply pushed forward with it simply based on what she had. Who is going to question the orders of the boss or suffer losing their job if they try to do so? We have already seen how she tends to react to her underling when they try to bring up simple topics such as them perhaps facing legal actions for the design thefts or trying to tell her that expanding the business isn’t such a good idea in the current climate and all. She refuses to listen to any of the advice that is addressed to her no matter how good or correct the others are. Her method is to simply march on ahead and let others deal with the mess that she has caused. Frankly I am actually surprised that the company hasn’t gone under with her management and all. She clearly has an agenda somewhere in between though it totally isn’t clear at this point. For instance, she points to her husband that a deadline[NA1]  for paying money is coming up and if he doesn’t find a way then one of his checks will get bounced while their mutual checks are still good. So does she intend to bleed him dry if so why.

Like I pointed out in my last post it would certainly be nice if Gemma started her own shoe business especially if she has the backing of Grandma and family and if she can make it big on her own. But to do that we will probably need another kind of time jump to fully justify all of that and her being her mother’s competition. As of now if they went down that route, I guess we could see mother come to realize that she has competition so send thugs to threaten Gemma to shut down her company and a few other tactics that she could use would be to try and sabotage her company. This could happen by trying to either purchase all the material that she may need to fulfill her order or the factories where she produces her shoes. But at best how many episodes do you all think that would fulfill if they went by this path. 10 at most for each. Probably even less depending on certain factors. In this case money might not be an issue if we are considering the fact that she has the backing of Loan Shark Granny so she might be able to simply offer a better deal and get the problem solved or find someone else to do her work and all. It might take some time to figure out that she was sabotaged and who did it and why. This way she gets already established in the shoe business and gets to show her mother just how wrong she was and all. I guess the alternative to all of this could be for her working in her mother’s rival company for extra affect and all. But this would mean that she has the least amount of interaction between the other characters which doesn’t really solve anything plot wise. Therefore, her working for her mothers’ company as of now makes the most sense. Though by the end of this show I would certainly like it if she ends up running her own shop/business. Granted if she is actually good, she could be handed over the current business but that simply doesn’t look good for the rest of her family aka step brother and step sister. But then again who knows perhaps Loan Shark Granny is going to be so mad at Designer Mom for leaving the kindest man in the world who was totally not abusive and all and simply hand over the company to Gemma as compensation/revenge.

Well, that should be all from my end for the time being. Take care all of you and see you after the break. Going to check up on a few dramas till then. Also good luck in the Olympics may your countries win atleast a single gold medal and all.

[NA1]y

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, yamiyugi said:

Now on to other things for the time being.

@maribella are you talking about the haunted house that had Jung Nara in it. Amusingly had just finished watching that show before you mentioned it. Was a good one.

Yes, did you miss the romance in it?
I thought it was good enough to see them care for each other.

A few posters wanted more action. I like trapping the evil one for eternity.

I was really disappointed they had to bring the  moralistic ending for Miss M. Evil HR's spirit got to wear white and 'pass on'. Stayed to wake her chingu. 

I don't expect Taxi driver kind of revenge here. There will a kumbaya ending but hope all that stealing will highlighted and punished.

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

7 hours ago, maribella said:

Yes, did you miss the romance in it?
I thought it was good enough to see them care for each other.

A few posters wanted more action. I like trapping the evil one for eternity.

As one of those "few posters" I just gotta say, as great a drama as Sell Your Haunted House was (and it was GREAT), it would've taken NOTHING away from it, to consummate the romantic interest that they teased throughout. (and teased well)

The fact that In-Beom survived 16 episodes with his blue salt still intact was a travesty ... and you know it @maribella:rolleyes:

Youre Wrong The West Wing GIF

That boy deserved better ... and Ji-Ah should've been that "better" :wub:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

22 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

The fact that In-Beom survived 16 episodes with his blue salt still intact was a travesty ... and you know it @maribella:rolleyes:

That's the trouble with you, @LeftCoastOppa everything has to be the Oprah Winfrey open up genre. Blab blab.  Asians are more subtle ( most of the time). The very fact that she warms up to his touch and they are going into business again, it is a certainty. That salt won't remain blue for very long and will be gone before the next RickRoll'D's crow. :hwaiting2:

edit: should have said rooster :glasses:

• LOL 3
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, maribella said:

That's the trouble with you, @LeftCoastOppa everything has to be the Oprah Winfrey open up genre.

Wrong, Wrong, and in a word ... Wrong

If that had a shred of truth to it, why then would I bother to amuse myself with these "subtle" kdramas? 

While you're turning that over - The drama led almost from the start with the Blue Salt inference, so the "expectation" was set by the Writer/PD not we the "few posters" you mentioned. 

... and btw, we posters, are not so few :P

• LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

While you're turning that over - The drama led almost from the start with the Blue Salt inference, so the "expectation" was set by the Writer/PD not we the "few posters" you mentioned. 

... and btw, we posters, are not so few :P

No dear, it's all in head. 

IB's blue salt can be used in any shaker not just JA's.  It was mentioned once by his friend that IB still kept his blue salt.

How could the poor writer be blamed for misleading a few posters? I have only read a few.

If there is another mention, I shall accept the majority sentiment that he should have gone for the slam dunk instead of just running with the ball. Although  Asian subtlety at work is very plausible. :selfie2:

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

25 minutes ago, maribella said:

If there is another mention, I shall accept the majority sentiment that he should have gone for the slam dunk instead of just running with the ball. Although  Asian subtlety at work is very plausible.

I'd invite you to revisit the thread in question as well as the +/- thread during the same time period - you'll find I had a great deal of company

As for your continued plying for subtlety, the consummation that so many of us sought could've easily been accomplished within the bounds of subtlety ... 

The secretary was already suspecting, so following her suspicions she puts the bowl of salt down in the office and waits ... enter our would-be couple, Ji-Ah first - at the last moment she sees the bowl and comes to an abrupt halt before stepping over it, In-Beom runs into her from behind almost knocking her over ... Ji-Ah's eye's immediately come up and meet the gaze of the now amused secretary who simply says ..."is there a problem?"  

Confirmation + Subtlety = could've been a better ending 

Come on @maribella ... you can say it

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

:kiss_wink:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

7 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

I'd invite you to revisit the thread in question as well as the +/- thread during the same time period - you'll find I had a great deal of company

As for your continued plying for subtlety, the consummation that so many of us sought could've easily been accomplished within the bounds of subtlety ... 

The secretary was already suspecting, so following her suspicions she puts the bowl of salt down in the office and waits ... enter our would-be couple, Ji-Ah first - at the last moment she sees the bowl and comes to an abrupt halt before stepping over it, In-Beom runs into her from behind almost knocking her over ... Ji-Ah's eye's immediately come up and meet the gaze of the now amused secretary who simply says ..."is there a problem?"  

Confirmation + Subtlety = could've been a better ending 

Come on @maribella ... you can

:kiss_wink:

That's fine with me, just the kind of scene I like in an Asian show.

but I am reading 'where's the kiss?' Where is the kiss? 

that is not subtle. But I am so happy with the current ending, :rickroll:

But you may get KS and Gemma rolling in the hay before the 30th episode, after all they live in the same house.

:blush:

They openly like each other.

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, maribella said:

But you may get KS and Gemma rolling in the hay before the 30th episode, after all they live in the same house.

:blush:

They openly like each other.

30th ??? :blink:

Playboy and Hye-Bin had a 1 night stand already - why wait til episode 30? :rolleyes:

Red Shoes = No Subtlety Here

• LOL 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

On 7/20/2021 at 9:10 PM, LeftCoastOppa said:

So episode 11 ...

- So as far as "should be" love interests go, it looks like Jin-Ah and Ki-Soek are going out of their respective ways to misunderstand each other. However since Hyun-Seok is busy with just about every other girl with a pulse, Big brother shouldn't have anything to worry about in the near term.

- Speaking of Hyun-Seok, after being back in Korea ... what ... a day and a half maybe?  He gets proposed to by Hye-Bin who just the day before found him kissing another woman ... so they end up sleeping together ... like you do.  Then he pretty much brags to Dad (albeit inadvertently) ... hey just slept with your daughter.  Now per preview, the disturbing looking blonde reappears tomorrow so this train wreck of a relationship is off to a grand start. 

- I was rather surprised that a daily drama actually had a scene with them in bed leaving little doubt that there was sexy-time the night before ... interesting

- Whenever they decide to get around to the revenge portion of this drama, HK is in real trouble.  Hubby is clearly onto her. Hubby's sister clearly still doesn't like her. Grandma Loan Shark is clearly not impressed with her, and would side with Jin-Ah anyway ... all Jin-Ah needs to do is pick a date and send the invites and its on.

- Mom and the Aunt are annoying. If they're supposed to be funny, it aint working.

- It felt like the housekeeper was on the verge of being funny, when she said she took pictures I thought it was going to be her time to shine, but no.  She is showing up in alot more scenes, so keep hope alive.

Over 10 episodes in and we still don't have any character nicknames? :rolleyes:

Can I just say, thank you for calling out the, ahem, disturbing looking blonde cuz YIKES! Does someone in casting need glasses? Are they being blackmailed and owe a favor? Did they just see blonde hair and nothing else? Yes blonde is lovely (I'm a Redhead myself) but it does not cover all :surprisedwut: evils?! Unless it was used as a curtain and face shield cuz damn. 

Not sure I used the quote correctly.

Sheesh it seems to have merged into @LeftCoastOppa statement when I was referring to it. My apologies to you. If anyone can direct me on how to fix it please do. Basically if you expand and scroll to the bottom you'll see my comment about the disturbing looking blonde.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1