[Drama 2021] Red Shoes, 빨강 구두

Lmangla

So, finally caught up, and it looks like you guys have already dissected most of whats going on ... 

- First, ratings ... :blink:  suffice it to say I don't quite understand. This daily is bad ... yeah I'm still watching ... eh nevermind:rolleyes:

- Second, the next drama ... seems meh, but thats just me.

- Hye-Bin.  The writer/PD-nim have done their jobs well - despite every credible argument many of you have made, despite the fact that I found her completely annoying in the beginning ... I feel sorry for her now :tears:  I freely acknowledge my justification is weak, but whereas The Chairman, and HK deserved the vengeance Gemma has tried to visit on them, HB initially did not - Gemma used her as a target of opportunity to get back at HK - The instance that HB tried to kill Gemma was borne from passionate anger, not careful plotting - (out in the open, in a pool, in broad daylight)   Its hard to admit, but in the last episode when HB said she hoped Gemma still hated her, because it would mean she still in some small way cared about her ... OK I GOT THE FEELS! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW???!!

Thunder Dungeon - 1. old lady

- HK's "rape" ... with full on respect for ALL positions on this, I'm in the "NO" camp - Was Shoe-Dad abusive? Yes. That said, abuse doesn't necessarily = rape.  My biggest issues are Gemma's brother, and HK's interaction with both children before she left (yes, I went back and watched)  "IF" Gemma was a case of rape, then are we to believe Ji-Ho was too?  Sorry, big red flag for me there - As, someone already pointed out, you don't marry and play family with your rapist.  HK's early interaction - While HK in the present has stated she never cared for Gemma, her early interactions don't line up with that ... at all.

I would offer that while HK suffered under Shoe-Dad, she did in fact love her children.  Since (at that time) she honestly believed Gemma was Shoe-Dads. Once she left with the Chairman, and Shoe-Dad was hit,  it was easier to dismiss her own failings as a mother, in their abandonment, if she considered them the result of rape.    While it may not be a common occurrence,  women have been known to accuse men of rape unjustly for a variety of reasons, many having to do with their own poor choices.

- JH ... can we agree that this drama should've been about 30-40 episodes shorter had they simply brought him onboard earlier?  HE got the revenge Gemma was after, HE was the one to FINALLY slap KS upside the head and tell him to man up ... hell HE probably has HS on a plane back to Korea as we speak to make amends with HB.

- Gemma the CEO ...

Are You Serious Spiderman GIF - Are You Serious Spiderman Meme - Discover &  Share GIFs

While Gemma may indeed be a great designer, lets not forget ... LS Grandma bought her way into Lora, and after she was fired ... JH brought her back to Lora.  As talented as she may/may not be, she clearly advanced due to money/stock shares far more than anything else. ... just saying

- LS Grandma may have just prophesied her own demise in the columbarium :unsure:

- Secretary Yeo ... so she's Mr Hong's daughter ... someone called that several episodes back, so kudos.  Someone commented on her lifting all that gold HK had stashed ... I'd add "in HEELS no less"  She is the shortest in that entire office yet hefts that box like it aint nothing but a thing. 

She, by far, has been the sharpest dressed throughout this drama ... now if she'd just let her hair down ... sorry, crushing just alittle :wub:

- @maribella and Omma x 3 times ... Still not happening, once maybe twice ... three times? Nope. 

Just 5 more episodes guys ... :handsup:

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

16 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

vengeance Gemma has tried to visit on them, HB initially did not - Gemma used her as a target of opportunity to get back at HK - The instance that HB tried to kill Gemma was borne from passionate anger, not careful plotting - (out in the open, in a pool, in broad daylight)   Its hard to admit, but in the last

HB? You feel sorry for that snob? Even before Gemma did anything, she was picking on her. When she found out Gemma was her mother's daughter, it was you are not my sister, someone like you? When she was happily engaged, she objected to Loan Shark grandma including Gemma as family. Many more scenes that I very quickly FFWD. You are the case of absence makes the heart grow fonder @LeftCoastOppa. HB hasn't had too many scenes except as sweet loony girl. Pity her? :surprisedwut: she has two crooked parents who stepped on anyone in stands their way, just like Gemma.

16 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

While Gemma may indeed be a great designer, lets not forget ... LS Grandma bought her way into Lora, and after she was fired ... JH brought her back to Lora.  As talented as she may/may not be, she clearly advanced due to money/stock shares far more than anything else. ... just saying

I am rather bewildered, why I cannot disagree with you here. Oh yes, it is all that crying and fake 'I am sorry'.

Have to agree with you. 

She looked better last night. A few episodes ago, she looked like she had borrowed some fat woman's clothes. 

That rape part was inferential, but I am sure she was raped even well before she threw it at LS grandma. Now that she said it, then it was true.
Rape is when the victim says no even once. She doesn't have to be a virgin. Even a streetwalker could get raped.
Otherwise, why would the Me too movement have well known actresses claiming rape.

She was down and out, a man wants to take care of her. She was also not the HK 30 years later. When Auntie insulted her after Mr Kwon met up with her again, she just took it. She was so pathetic and weak.

I do hope KS finds a decent woman. JH would have Ms Yeo.

Gemma would have another attack and cried after KS says, I am going to Africa ciao.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1

3 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

The instance that HB tried to kill Gemma was borne from passionate anger, not careful plotting - (out in the open, in a pool, in broad daylight)   Its hard to admit, but in the last episode when HB said she hoped Gemma still hated her, because it would mean she still in some small way cared about her ... OK I GOT THE FEELS! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW???!!

The fact that HB falsely reasoned out "if only GM told her from the start, then she wouldnt be crazy" but we all know what happened when she first knew. (putting an additional 0 to the order sale to get her fired) so this sad act for pity points doesnt work for me.

Putting a fake front when deep inside she was sneering, ridiculing her for just not being educated and lashing out her insecurities, which she already knows it's HS nature to be a playboy, on GM even on the job, going to GM house as a friend but actually snooping around to get some dirt/gossip, which accidentally led her to know the truth. Not to mention attempted murder by suffocation (where you feel the person struggling with your body) and framing for assault on the stairs when she knows the "kiss" is fake and HS is the one going to GM. Then, even all this time, mentioning KS and HS in convos... which imo is actually still subconsciously done to humilate GM sneakily... and now the guilt tripping/gas lighting of saying if only you told us...

Sorry, but it seems the therapist is going the wrong way if HB has still has these thoughts and not self reflecting that she herself, for not accepting HS not loving her (still looking for HS) and that she was a spoiled brat, is the major reason of her issues. 

HE was the one to FINALLY slap KS upside the head and tell him to man up ... hell HE probably has HS on a plane back to Korea as we speak to make amends with HB

It's just so weird for me though why JH is THAT invested with KS and GM lovelife haha.. he doesnt come off as that close with KS (as it seems he just pops up and grandma doesnt even acknowledge that deep friendship, i think KS calls him senior, instead of hyung? iirc) and JH doesnt really know GM that much and the dynamics of their relationship like how they started, dated and interacted. so why???

re HS/HB, I don't think he is that invested in HB/HS and i doubt he will put HS in an uncomfortable position, who still doesnt love HB, just to make HB feel well.

anyway, seems that JH won't scheme against GM given her paternity as he calls her a pitiful woman in the drinking session with KS. 

Re MHK rape and marriage, hmm maybe possible that single mothers in korea are that shunned in the old days and she might have problems with employment/jobs so MHK had no choice but to marry just to survive (as she doesnt seem to have any family) and to be pregnant esp in last 3 months without support will be hard. And she may have been forced again with jinho, we know that "rape" may still occur in marriages.

Though not sure why she didnt abort GM, as abortion if rape is legal in korea even in old days. But like stated by maribella, maybe she was just desperate and weak back then and wanted to cling to anyone given her heartbroken state or wanted a "family" (as she loved her children in the scenes before) and couldnt bear to abort but later had a change of mind of "unwanting" them to escape the abuse and became a convenient reason to justify her abandonment. OR she just didnt have the money to get an abortion as it seems self induced abortion is illegal (not sure if there is exception if rape) so had no choice and she still had to prove it was rape (as abortion is not really legal except for specific conditions) so there will be court fees to allow an abortion for rape and stigma that she was raped (which will lower her chances to find someone whose family will accept her)

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

38 minutes ago, maribella said:

You are the case of absence makes the heart grow fonder @LeftCoastOppa. HB hasn't had too many scenes except as sweet loony girl. Pity her?

32 minutes ago, tiuserviu viu said:

Sorry, but it seems the therapist is going the wrong way if HB has still has these thoughts and not self reflecting that she herself, for not accepting HS not loving her (still looking for HS) and that she was a spoiled brat, is the major reason of her issues

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... I knew feeling sorry for Hye-Bin was like holding radioactive material in your bare hands ... :rolleyes:

"...despite every credible argument many of you have made...", despite the fact that I found her completely annoying in the beginning ... I feel sorry for her now

In my own defense, I did lead with this ...

42 minutes ago, maribella said:

I am rather bewildered, why I cannot disagree with you here.

... its these rare and fleeting moments on the threads that I live for :lol:

48 minutes ago, maribella said:

That rape part was inferential, but I am sure she was raped even well before she threw it at LS grandma. Now that she said it, then it was true.
Rape is when the victim says no even once. She doesn't have to be a virgin. Even a streetwalker could get raped.
Otherwise, why would the Me too movement has well known actresses claiming rape.

47 minutes ago, tiuserviu viu said:

RE MHK rape and marriage, hmm maybe possible that single mothers in korea are that shunned in the old days and she might have problems with enployment/jobs so MHK had no choice but to marry just to survive (as she doesnt seem to have any family) and to be pregnant esp in last 3 months without support will be hard. And she may have been forced again with jinho, we know that "rape" may still occur in marriages.

Not that I disagree with the rational of your statements above, but as @maribella stated, the rape was "inferential"  Could he have? Yes. Could HK be lying to herself about rape as a coping mechanism for what she did to her children? Also Yes.  Its easier to rationalize abandoning something you tell yourself you needn't care about it from the beginning.

Again, while certainly not definitive, the whole playing family just doesn't fit - Yes, rape occurs even in marriage as @tiuserviu viu said, but consider - They were married - They had not 1 but 2 children - the aren't just living together, they are working together - HK states clearly early on that the sale of her designs to the Chairman is whats keeping them afloat.   While I make NO claim to fully understanding Korean culture/stigma's of that period, I find it hard to believe, that if HK had already found an outlet for her designs and was making enough to help support 4 people in a family, then why wouldn't she have taken just the children, as supporting 3 would've been easier. Or if she truly was raped, leave on her own - sell her designs to make money and support herself.

While not discounting arguments to the contrary, I'm still in the "NO" camp - Shoe-Dad is a tragic character, abusive-yes, borne from childhood abandonment issues, but not a rapist - JMHO

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

MHK broke in to the CEO's (now Gemma) office and got back the report? So, JH returned the report back? Hmm....

HK's reply after Gemma asked him to keep her dad's photo: "You didn't know who Kim Jung Guk is" is a bit creepy....

Also HK firm in her intent not to let KHS found out about Gemma's real parentage implies that she really wants to destroy both Gemma and her hubby?

Why is the loanshark grandma still not revealing the fact that she is KJG's step-mom?

Meanwhile, HK's threat on JH for planting a spy didn't work on him lol..... 

And the fake relationship between Gemma & HK is now over...and JH is encouraging KS to return to Gemma....*faint* :surprisedwut:

5 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

So, finally caught up, and it looks like you guys have already dissected most of whats going on ... 

- First, ratings ... :blink:  suffice it to say I don't quite understand. This daily is bad ... yeah I'm still watching ... eh nevermind:rolleyes:

- Second, the next drama ... seems meh, but thats just me.

Just 5 more episodes guys ... :handsup:

High five...I am still watching too hahaha. I am definitely not watching the next dailies....moving to the Second Husband!

As for ratings....well, the housewives do need something to watch during the dinner time right? This show is meant for them at that time slot :approves:

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

Hahaha, thanks to Ju Hyung’s return the posts have returned in full. JH soon to be father-in-law??? Mr Hong bought large shares of the company and is a member of the board. JH became the CEO and made Gemma the co-CEO. I think Gemma will do well as CEO. In the beginning there were many posts about the abandonment of the children by HK and until Jin Ya grew up to become Gemma and went to her mother’s company and swore revenge but never did because she was confused as to what she wants. It was not revenge, it was about wanting the mother that she knew back, that is why she had the miniature shoes that her mother gave them when they were children.  She kept saying she wants revenge but what she really wanted was her mother. That is why she went after Hye Bin, she said “Hye Bin is your precious daughter, I will make you feel how it feels to have someone you care about get hurt” . So, repeat performance by Gemma over and over until Ju Hyung arrived. Thank you Ju Hyung!!!  

• Like 3

On 12/3/2021 at 12:51 AM, Lmangla said:

I have felt that the true lead of this drama is actually hee kyung and not gemma; only hee kyung is more of a villain. will admit that I have been FF most

but without Gemma HK will have no story, no grandma, no stupid grandsons and no JH to come back for revenge. Or JH will replace Gemma who will be planning for revenge the whole 100 episodes. or GH will be back on the 3rd episode and complete his revenge by the 20th episode against the wicked stepmother. There will be no auntie nor uncle, coffee mom and coffee aunt. Basically it is Gemma who gives the character of HK depth.

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 3

On 12/4/2021 at 11:22 AM, LeftCoastOppa said:

- Hye-Bin.  The writer/PD-nim have done their jobs well - despite every credible argument many of you have made, despite the fact that I found her completely annoying in the beginning ... I feel sorry for her now 

kudos to the actress. many second leads are annoying but the actress has managed to make hye bin multi-faceted. so despite all her earlier behaviour, instead of hating her, some of us do feel sorry for her. there is no real satisfaction that she is hurting so emotionally and mentally. by the way, was glad to hear from hey bin that she is in therapy and is sorting out how she feels...

exactly! it is why it doesn't feel like gemma actually achieved anything. but then again, that may be the writer's point? that revenge is really futile? 

- Secretary Yeo ... so she's Mr Hong's daughter ... someone called that several episodes back, so kudos.  Someone commented on her lifting all that gold HK had stashed ... I'd add "in HEELS no less"  She is the shortest in that entire office yet hefts that box like it aint nothing but a thing. 

she was so hilariously awesome and cold when hee kyung found out she was a spy. was laughing when hee kyung said she was good to her (yea, like we forgot all the slaps and insults to her employees) and secretary just gives her cold look and almost shrug. I feel dissapointed that she didn't become co-CEO. 

20 hours ago, Newbie21SG said:

And the fake relationship between Gemma & HK is now over...and JH is encouraging KS to return to Gemma....*faint*

ju hyung is acting like gemma needs some sort of consolation prize for her birth secret. well, messing with a guy on and off is hardly a healthy relationship and the way to treat any person. am crossing my fingers that loan grandma will put a stop to it by saying "she is your cousin!". I did laugh when ki seok looked so confused at why loan grandma was being nice to gemma. hahahahha.. 

and chairman and hee kyung were pretty hilarious when they were drinking wine and talking about poisoning each other. that is some dark humour but somehow this marriage seems to move along despite themselves...

3 hours ago, lila21 said:

but without Gemma HK will have no story, no grandma, no stupid grandsons and no JH to come back for revenge. Or JH will replace Gemma who will be planning for revenge the whole 100 episodes. or GH will be back on the 3rd episode and complete his revenge by the 20th episode against the wicked stepmother. There will be no auntie nor uncle, coffee mom and coffee aunt. Basically it is Gemma who gives the character of HK depth.

point but I stopped watching for gemma a long while ago. I basicallly started FF most of gemma's scenes because they were such a yawn. I would have dropped the drama if it wasn't for hee kyung and wondering what her outcome will be. so from that view, hee kyung feels like the lead. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lila21 said:

HK technically is the female lead in this drama. Gemma is the (duller) deuteragonist.

• Like 5

How I see it ending ...

- Chairman goes after Gemma, not knowing he's her father. HK at the last moment either stops him or kills him to save Gemma - He's either Dead or In Jail

- HK after stopping the Chairman, she tries to kill herself ( the noose scene at the start was her talking to herself ) Gemma either finds her dead or stops her ... BUT NO 3 "Omma's" ... sorry @maribella - She maybe Dead or In Jail

- Gemma resigns from the Co-CEO position, says her goodbyes, and departs for school abroad.  She reappears after a last episode time jump back in Korea to smile from across a room at Ki-Seok

- Ju Hyung is true to his word, and after a lengthy rebuilding/rebranding LORA is a success again ... and he dates Secretary Yeo

- Ki-Seok, following the last episode time jump, he has either gone back to teaching or has returned to directing an upscale restaurant

- Hyung-Seok will return for short scene with Hye-Bin as friends

- Hye-Bin will complete her therapy, and be in a successful position following the last episode time jump

- Gun-Wook/Bestie, still together - Gun-Wook now works for LORA, Bestie still works for Ki-Seok

- Tae-Gil/Auntie, Married and having cute married couple fights - Tae-Gil is a renowned Chef now.

- Coffee Auntie, retired now

- LS Grandma, dies (I still don't know how)

The drama as a whole ... 3.4 to 4

One of the things I did like about this drama is that it had and for about 70 episodes maintained a 2-3 episode span time for crisis-to-resolution.  The problem became, they never built on those resolutions. Nothing escalated beyond the usual back and forth. Gemma snarls defiantly, cries in her bedroom, snarls defiantly, cries in the bathroom, ...rinse and repeat.

Hyung-Seok was also a BIG failure - He was the steadfast, bedrock character for almost all of the first half. If he was involved with the problem or heard about it, that problem was solved or resolved quickly. He was a refreshingly smart SML.  Then they made him stupid over Gemma, and his character was doomed from that point on. A waste of a solid character.

It was close, but this drama is actually worse than Miss MonteCristo - JMHO

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Chairman goes after Gemma, not knowing he's her father. HK at the last moment either stops him or kills him to save Gemma - He's either Dead or In Jail

- HK after stopping the Chairman, she tries to kill herself ( the noose scene at the start was her talking to herself ) Gemma either finds her dead or stops her ... BUT NO 3 "Omma's" ... sorry @maribella - She maybe Dead or In Jail

Why would HK stop Mr Kwon? She wanted Gemma dead. Not that I blame her, I got that feeling many times.

Still there's no logic. She might have some residual feeling of her previous life but it's Lora this HB that. So it's HK of the Italian school product.

I think Mr Kwon was aiming for Gemma but she's like a cat with nine lives, he missed her and hit HK.

That's when Gemma went Omma Omma Omma. 

Hyung-Seok will return for short scene with Hye-Bin as friends

- Hye-Bin will complete her therapy, and be in a successful position following the last episode time jum

I don't think going crazy means a redemption for this nut.

She's going to be working for Lora because JH pitied her. Both her parents are in prison. Still churning out mediocre designs.

Gemma resigns from the Co-CEO position, says her goodbyes, and departs for school abroad.  She reappears after a last episode time jump back in Korea to smile from across a room at Ki-Seok

She is going to take over Loan Shark Grandma's business.:Megalol:

5 hours ago, Lmangla said:

there is no real satisfaction that she is hurting so emotionally and mentally. by the way, was glad to hear from hey bin that she is in therapy and is sorting out how she feels...

She was pulling Gemma's hair in their last encounter. Do you think I'm crazy she asked. She is full of bile and hate, her therapy is not working.

5 hours ago, partyon said:

Chingus, a poll designed by @Lmangla is up! :glasses:

Please

Where is the link? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, maribella said:

She is going to take over Loan Shark Grandma's business.

good one

1 hour ago, maribella said:

She was pulling Gemma's hair in their last encounter. Do you think I'm crazy she asked. She is full of bile and hate, her therapy is not working

she is in therapy? fire the therapist....who got her the therapy JH?? because her parents certainly are not and did not seek for a therapist for her

- Ju Hyung is true to his word, and after a lengthy rebuilding/rebranding LORA is a success again ... and he dates Secretary Yeo

like this one

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

How I see it ending ...

- Chairman goes after Gemma, not knowing he's her father. HK at the last moment either stops him or kills him to save Gemma - He's either Dead or In Jail

- Gemma resigns from the Co-CEO position, says her goodbyes, and departs for school abroad.  She reappears after a last episode time jump back in Korea to smile from across a room at Ki-Seok

- Ki-Seok, following the last episode time jump, he has either gone back to teaching or has returned to directing an upscale restaurant

- Hyung-Seok will return for short scene with Hye-Bin as friends

- Hye-Bin will complete her therapy, and be in a successful position following the last episode time jump

- Gun-Wook/Bestie, still together - Gun-Wook now works for LORA, Bestie still works for Ki-Seok

- Tae-Gil/Auntie, Married and having cute married couple fights - Tae-Gil is a renowned Chef now.

- Coffee Auntie, retired now

- LS Grandma, dies (I still don't know how)

The drama as a whole ... 3.4 to 4

One of the things I did like about this drama is that it had and for about 70 episodes maintained a 2-3 episode span time for crisis-to-resolution.  The problem became, they never built on those resolutions. Nothing escalated beyond the usual back and forth. Gemma snarls defiantly, cries in her bedroom, snarls defiantly, cries in the bathroom, ...rinse and repeat.

Kinda agree with most of your ending, both MHK and KHS will either end up in prison or dead. 

Gemma, KHB, YKS, YHS will live on miserably though. No sweet love ending for either one.

Happy endings for KJH, Secretary and her dad, Auntie & Tae Gil, and Gemma's step-brother & her best friend. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Newbie21SG said:

Gemma, KHB, YKS, YHS

I am going to excempt YHS from the group, he is in  Europe doing what he loves doing.... leave him there unless granny dies then he comes back says hello and leaves again... except for that one time when he let Gemma play him, he has been a helpful problem solver. So he goes back doing what he is happy doing.... 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 2:58 AM, chococarmela said:

HK technically is the female lead in this drama. Gemma is the (duller) deuteragonist.

agreed, all am saying is Gemma gives HK the opportunity to be lead because she is the deuteragonist, one supports the other.

• Like 2