[Drama 2021] Red Shoes, 빨강 구두

Lmangla

2 hours ago, maribella said:

Is there a show tonight?

There was no episode last night because there was a football/soccer exhibition match for the Tokyo Olympics shown on TV between Korea and Argentina. Seems like the episode will air tonight instead.

Although until the Tokyo Olympics ends on August 8, there might be more cancellations in the future because in South Korea they tend to show the Olympics on all their main TV channels at the same time lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Blob 1

So I guess it is finally time for a new show let’s see how this turns out to be. Can already tell that there are people that one isn’t going to like though are they pure evil or morally grey one will have to find out. Though one can safely assume part of the ending since this story is clearly a flashback as to how the female leads mother will end up getting the death sentence unless something changes along the way.

I guess this drama doesn’t call out to me like sone of the other dramas since I have failed to learn any of the characters names so far. Female lead seems to be easy so far since she calls herself Gemma these days but why the sudden name change. One could perhaps understand if she had gone abroad to study and had her name changed over there to make it easy for people to call her and all but that doesn’t seem to be the case over here. New Mom mentions that she is full of debt because she has bored money from loan sharks as well just so that she could pay for her brothers’ education so that he could become a doctor and all. She even sacrificed things for herself (food, clothes, jewelry etc.…) so that she could make this happen.

I mean I get that the name change is going to help her with her disguise since her mother has failed to recognize her, she can safely use this new name to get close to her to start her revenge against her mother and all. So, I really hope that they explain why she went ahead and got a name change.

Now moving on to other parts of this drama.

Lets start of with some of the characters.

Spoiler

Drunk Dad: I would say that between being a terrible person and being a total Scum, he would have to be the former. This is because while he was occasionally abusive towards his wife, he atleast loved his kids and never hit beat them. Now I certainly don’t approve of him lifting his hand against his wife I am just saying that he was slightly decent since people are known to even hurt their kids in drunken stupors or just is. Also, while they show why he was like that towards his wife it still doesn’t justify his actions. One does feel slightly bad for him considering his past history and one can therefore understand his current insecurity but what he doesn’t seem to realize is that he was his greatest enemy over here. Just look at the facts.

As a child he was abandoned by his own father thus he had a fear of abandonment by other people. A trauma of sorts. Then he gets married but he still isn’t happy because he fears that she may also leave him someday. This is further reinforced by the fact that he is fully aware that he wasn’t his wife’s first choice and that she had a first love. Not only that but the wife is also occasionally in touch with first love. It also doesn’t help that he knows that the only reason she isn’t with him is due to certain circumstances ie the guy was forced to marry somebody else. Meaning that one or both of them may still harbour feelings towards each other. If that is the case, he fears that his wife was only with him for some obligation or the other and if this wasn’t the case, she would return to him. Not only this but his wife is still being paid by said Ex when she sells some of her designs to him. This further hurts his pride and ego and the same time. Since he considers this as living of his wife’s Ex. It also doesn’t help that the Ex is in a financially better position than him as well. (He is rich the Ex). All these things made him irrational and imagine scenarios that never happened.

I guess part of the problem over here is that his wife wasn’t all that open with him such as whenever she met with the Ex she never told him about it thus he was left to imagine the worse. Especially considering the fact that he finds out from other people about her encounter with the Ex or the fact that she accepts gifts from him. He probably took that as a sign that she was just with him since she was married to him but behind his back she was fooling around with her Ex. Now I know that one can say that this may be a with harsh of me to say this and that the wife might have been more open in the past when she met the Ex but since she knew of his reactions toward the Ex she decided to stay silent whenever she met him. Not sure which makes it right. Oh well it doesn’t matter at this point since he is no more in the world of the living.

Designer Mom: Okay moving on to the next person in the list. As an abused victim I can easily understand her wanting to leave that lifestyle at some point and can probably even support her decision. But not the way how she did it in the show. Perhaps she has a reason for doing so and I will get into that in a bit but for now let’s look at her. After being forced out of her house she ends up with her first love. But to do this she has to abandon everything from her past including her children. Now if circumstances were different, I could probably understand where she was coming from when she made this choice. For instance, she knows that her husband loved the kids and that since he never harmed them, they were in good hands. If she based her choice on that it might not have been all that wrong. But this wasn’t the case over here. She was fully aware that her Ex had run down her husband and that he was dead because of that. This meant that she was aware that her kids had no one to take care of themselves and that they would have to fend on their own.

Now while the Ex may have told her that she couldn’t meet with her kids and husband if she chose him, she could have still helped her kids in secret. We see no signs of that further making her a worse person than one expects. It also doesn’t help since we don’t know her true agenda. Now I know people can easily argue that she simply is with her current husband aka the Ex because she was tired of her old abusive life and wanted something more. But I feel like she may be with him for her own agenda. Perhaps being ambitious might be part of it though that may have come a bit later. For now, let’s look at some facts.

She is fully aware that the Ex was responsible for the hit and run on her current husband and no matter how much abuse the husband heaped on her she was still with him. Showing that she cared for him to some extent and wouldn’t leave him probably because of her kids as well. Given a choice she would have probably even returned to that house. But since the husband is dead, she decided to move on. But while we are talking about this it might be safe to assume that it is quite possible that she is with her Ex to take revenge on him for killing her Ex. Or atleast that may have been the initial plan but things changed along the way especially once she became pregnant with his kid and all. So, it may have been possible that in the past her initial thoughts may have been along the following lines. Take everything away from her Ex as punishment for killing her husband and returning to her family and giving them the happy comfortable life that they never had. Heck she may still be planning to do the same even now she just wants her husband to fall from grace where he can never get back up from and perhaps hurt her if she leaves. But since she isn’t the type of person that communicates well we may never know if this is certainly the case.

Also, the writer trying to show that she kind of feels bad knowing that one of her kids isn’t doing all that well but can’t go and see them because of the promise that she made with her husband and all. Sorry but that doesn’t cut it for me. As I pointed out she had ample opportunities to help her kids in secret if she truly wanted to do something. This way some of the revenge headed towards her could make some viewers take some pity towards her. She does try to control some way how her current daughter lives but it just isn’t the same. Have a bit more to say about the wife but will get that to it later on.

Sloppy (New Husband): One may feel slightly bad for this guy but at the end of the day it doesn’t last for long. He was tricked/forced to marry his previous wife even though he had promised to do so with Designer Mum. So, he dumps her and marries someone from a rich family that had mental issues as well as a kid. But at the same time, he still pines for his first love and tries to interfere in her life not caring about all the damage that he is causing or being too clingy towards her. He can’t seem to take her refusal as well making matters worse. So, he can try and justify his actions towards her from a business perspective and all but we all know the truth which is that he just wants her to be part of his life in someway or the other. He thinks that he is saving her by taking her away from her abusive life and all never realizing that he is the cause or even if he is aware, he simply doesn’t care.

Finally, he gets the chance to be with her when he accidentally killed her husband in a hit and run accident. He then makes her promise that if she wants a good life, she needs to cut all contact with her past life. Note he did this part on purpose. He thinks that Designer Mum isn’t aware of who he hit and killed. This way he thinks that he may have persuaded her that even though she has left her kids behind they still have their dad to take care of them thus she isn’t abandoning them at all. On the other hand, he knows that if she knows the truth, she will insist on bringing her kids with her. Something that he isn’t okay with since he is a bit selfish in this department but this isn’t something new.

We know for a fact that he doesn’t like raising other people’s kids by the fact that he has exiled his son to the States since he was by his first wife before they got married. Though if we think about it, he could have possibly tried to do the same thing over here. It might even have garnered him some points with Designer Mum and perhaps not tried to do down the path of revenge against him. Oh well Karma will certainly get to him at some point as usual.

Now as to why do I call him Sloppy is quite simple. He commits a hit and run and thinks that he has gotten away Scott free only to end up getting blackmailed by Sleazy. So, he tries to be smart and has him sign a confidentiality contract so that he can get all the evidence from him and all. But in his haste, he drops the promissory note and doesn’t realize that it is still missing.

So, we can easily imagine what is going to happen sometime in the future. Said Uncle is probably doing okay with whatever business that he has started with the money for the time being. But he will eventually return in the picture when that venture is going to either flop or need financial aid to bail him out. For this end he will try and blackmail the Chairman once again to help him out and since Sloppy was careless enough to lose the note the first time round he will probably be forced to help him out at times. Not sure if that is considered Karma or not.

Also, not so sure where I stand on him divorcing his last previous wife just so that he could marry his Ex. Is she even alive, what about his kid with said wife will he return and will he want revenge on him for abandoning both him and his mother back in the day? Will he perhaps team up with Gemma and help her in her revenge. That might just become an interesting revenge plot if I may say so. But I doubt that will be the case.

Okay so this mostly covers most of the senior cast or atleat the parents with some of their plots. Not so sure where I can go with the younger cast or the fact that we need to talk about the money lender granny as well. Oh well let’s see what happens next.

So, moving on to other stuff. First of all, I want to say that the synopsis just doesn’t seem to match all that much from what we seem to get. The only way that we can consider Gemma’s brother as ill was when he got injured and died because of it. Had the mother left if he was actually ill, I would have more issues with her.

As for Gemma and her new family it is nothing new. Her stepmother seems sort of decent considering the fact that she has some sort of conscience and has been raising her for so long after profiting on her father’s death by saving her son’s life and all. So, I will give her some credit. Not much and since she has spoilt said son it might not be that high. As for her son he is the typical guy that doesn’t work at all and wants free handouts just because he was sick once. He tries to gain pity by pointing out that he had heart surgery and all and instead of working he is busy partying all night long. Heck he even gets further points docked since he tries to emotionally blackmail Gemma at times by pointing out that she wouldn’t treat him like this if he was her actual brother and all. Atleast Gemma’s brother was earning his pay by becoming a doctor and all (or even an intern or assistant whatever his post). So, one can say that her investment was worth it. But the stepbrother didn’t do any of that. He uses his condition as an excuse to not work or even payback what he borrowed from her. I partially blame his mother for his condition and while one can say that she is trying to get him to be more focused and serious it might just be too late.

Not sure why Gemma is even shipping him with her best friend since that isn’t fair on her friend. I mean if things continue down this path the stepbrother is only going to be draining the best friend if they end up together. Also since this guy seems like the type to go for making easy money I sense that he is bound to cause some sort of trouble for the female lead down the line. Will he simply betray her or be tricked into doing so with the promise of an easy payday remains to be seen.

Second Female Lead: Since she has only popped up in a few episodes it might be a bit harder to gauge her but I guess she is nothing new from what we have seen in past shows. A rich snobby brat who thinks that the world should revolve around her since she is rich and privileged. She will therefore follow the standard route. Not only that she will also try to get rid of Gemma with nasty plots and all as well as get involved in a love triangle with her.

We know that she has the hots for Restaurant Owners brother since she asks about him. This clearly shows that she knows the family for quite some time as par with other shows. Once the brother returns, he isn’t going to be interested in her at all and might even fall for Gemma. Making her the competition and all. Stepsister is then going to do down the route that I was here first and if you never showed up the guy could have been mine. As for Gemma I might just see her try and use the guys feelings for her just to help her revenge progress faster and to get closer to that family and all. I hate when that happens especially when certain people have already been burnt in the Romance department. They are already healing from their previous Scars only to face new ones along the way. Perhaps forever wanting to stay away from finding happiness because of this. Unless I am mixing up my characters which is quite possible at this point since we haven’t been fully introduced to everyone at this point. But a love triangle is inevitable at this point.

The only difference over here from a standard K-Drama Trope is the fact that when two leads for the same person they don’t realize that the other is their step family but this isn’t the case over here. Gemma has the advantage of already being aware that Snobby is her sister and therefore if she goes after the guy that she likes it will be on purpose instead of genuinely liking him.

Designer Mum has made a major mistake by stealing her daughters design even if that was unintentional on her part. She messed up because Gemma is already irked at her for abandoning her family and living happily with her new one but now, she goes one step further and steals her precious design. This design also had a special significant meaning for Gemma as they were never intended for sale but as a gift for her brother. Her mother has messed up big time. She will need to make up to her original family in a big way even though that isn’t possible at this point.

As for Designer Mom is her trade of in life worth it. Hard to say. I mean when she was previously married, she had an abusive husband but going into her new marriage it isn’t going to be all that comfortable if you sit back and look at it. Gemma may think this may be the case but we viewers know this to be not true. Designer Mom had to contend with her In-Laws that constantly looked down at her and believe that she seduced Sloppy to be with him. Never seeming to realize that it was the other way round. The SiL was firmly in her former SiL’s side and felt that her brother was doing wrong being with another woman when he was already married or the fact that Designer Mum not only shared the SiL’s bed but also her clothes. So, I doubt that level on animosity is going to go away so easily. It also doesn’t help that she feels that she was in a higher social standing than Designer Mom as well.

Again, some might disagree with this assessment and say that she is more civil towards Designer Mum these days so they may have actually improved on their relationship. To this I would say that this isn’t necessarily the case. I feel that they have come to some sort of understanding but that is about it. For instance, Designer Mom must have pointed out that no matter what the sister does it isn’t going to change the fact that she is going to be her brother’s new wife and that he will always take her side. Thus, if she continues to behave the way she does she will simply ask her husband to either move from that place or ask him to make her (SiL) leave. If the SiL senses this to be true she may indeed cut of some of her hostility towards designer mum but like I said her animosity would still remain. This you can see by her snide remark about how the mother studied in Italy and all. Like her brother she knows that Designer Mom is lying about her background but she is wise enough to not speak about it infront of the daughter. Is she truly saving Designer Moms face by staying quiet? This is hardly the case in my opinion. As I pointed out if there is an understanding between the two women this makes sense because antagonizing Designer Mum would be a bad thing for her. As far as I can tell we haven’t seen SiL work.

Well, she might be doing company work this means that Designer Mom might be in a position to get her fired or kicked out of the house if she slights her in anyway. Thus, for the time beings she is playing along with whatever story Designer Mum is going with since she doesn’t want to antagonize either her or her brother at this point.

I do wonder what happened to her mother. Has she passed away or did she end up antagonizing Designer Mom that Sloppy was forced to send her away further sending a warning to SiL and this is why she is like this at the moment. If grandmother was sent away, is she raising first wife’s kid. She seemed to be okay with him and it did appear that she missed him as well until it was pointed out that he was exiled by his father.

Anyway, while I have more to add will leave my post for the time being. Will give this drama a shot before deciding if I want to stick around for it or not or just watch episodes randomly. So, till next time and all of you take care. Hopefully this show will be more fun than the previous one but so far, I can’t seem to find the comic relief. Unless that is the female lead before, she starts her revenge arc.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

13 hours ago, Ayame said:

There was no episode last night because there was a football/soccer exhibition match for the Tokyo Olympics shown on TV between Korea and Argentina. Seems like the episode will air tonight instead.

Although until the Tokyo Olympics ends on August 8, there might be more cancellations in the future because in South Korea they tend to show the Olympics on all their main TV channels at the same time lol.

Oh okay thanks for the info. I was looking for episode 6 all day yesterday off and on lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 3

So after binge watching 5 episodes to catch up, just a few nagging thoughts ...

When the hit and run happened, wouldn't the police have tried to find Jin-Ah's mom? Even if everyone else had a reason not to, the police would have records that showed the man was married wouldn't they? Big Hole ... IMHO

... and those kids can sleep through anything ... except a little thunder :rolleyes:

It looks like almost all the major characters are going grey this drama. Some have reasons that are more understandable, but I see alot of "holier than thou" arguments in future episodes.

So dementia mom has a child - I'm placing bets its restaurant CEO or the soon to arrive younger brother - cue the would be love interest duel.

So is HK's new daughter the cause of Restaurant CEO (former professor) job troubles?

They whacked little brother just to give Jin-Ah a fresh reason to go after her mother?  Thats weak

It looks like there are alot of still hidden characters/back stories but I think this will turn into a family on family war, not just Jin-Ah going after her mother.

We have a fancy traditional new restaurant - start the counter on how many "overheard conversations" and "clandestine meetings" will all happen here. 

Since we have next to nothing, love interest wise, I'm going with support characters - Heart transplant/playboy clubber in training/step brother will be snared by shorthaired, restaurant do gooder, best friend ...  its LOVE I tell ya! :wub:

... and the housekeeper(s) still aren't funny :rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

Those loan sharks want to carve out her liver, heart :hushed:.

Loan shark grandma turned out to be straight talking, was poor, did bad things earlier.

She does not seem to have her own goons even though she is a successful loan shark. Grandson is hooked, JA or Gemma is now working for him. Preview has him rescuing her from loan sharks and offering to pay the loans.

Still too early to see anything interesting. But staying still. At least for loud short ajumma with the nose job for now.

• Like 7
  • Blob 1

Caught up on episodes:

I think the dead dad is definitely the lost adopted son. I just don't know how they prove that in the future, if a DNA test won't work. Do they have pictures of when he was a little kid?

12 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

So is HK's new daughter the cause of Restaurant CEO (former professor) job troubles?

I mean its possible but it seems like the families know each other so wouldn't she know he is part of her crush's family. 

Preview:

I think restaurant CEO will pay Gemma's loan and to repay the money she can work for loan shark grandma. That is how they get her to move into the house.

• Like 7
  • Blob 2

If kdramas taught me anything - I should find any struggling old granny on the streets and offer her my help. Then I would be totally rich already and married to her grandson. 

I'm disappointed in the lost son side-story (though I can see why they did it to fill some time). I'd just hate to waste any emotions on that old wife-beater. I'm still not understanding why he turned out that way but ok, writer. 

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Blob 1

So writing long posts certainly makes one lose their initial track of thoughts until something or someone brings it up. Just caught up with all of your posts as well as the recent episodes and some thoughts regarding it all.

So lets get on with this post.

For starters I want to thankyou @LeftCoastOppa for bringing up a point that I wanted to bring up myself but forgot due to the length of my post. Though if I am being totally honest it wasn’t the same but similar to yours.

You mentioned how the cops should have been searching for Designer Mom even though other people in the cast didn’t want her to be found for whatever reason they had. After all she should have been legally married to her husband unless they tell us otherwise. Good catch but my question that is related to it would have been to ask just how did Designer Mom get married to her new husband aka Sloppy. As you pointed out she was already married and therefore if she wanted to marry someone else, she would need to get divorced or show that she was a widow. After all there should have been records of her marriage somewhere. Don’t people check these facts when a person is registering for their marriages. After all I doubt that Korea allows a person to be married multiple times ie have more than one husband or wife. Then again what do I know about getting married and how this works. I do know that one has to register their marriage but what is the purpose of that if the other party just keeps that for record purposes. It would make more sense if they say hey look you can’t marry this person because our records indicate that they are still married. If this isn’t the case, please have them rectify this matter as soon as possible. This also prevents the other party from getting hurt or being in a fraudulent marriage and all.

Anyway, back to the point that I was making. I guess it might be possible that Sloppy may have lied to his wife and told her that he would handle the matter of marriage and dealing with her Ex. Then come up with the lie that he had signed the divorce papers and he had given him and her family compensation. Since she actually knows the truth, she would pretend to believe him. But even then, I don’t know how long this façade could actually work. But since this is a K-Drama lets just go with the flow.

Okay so they finally bothered to explain why the female lead has her name changed. Now I feel like an idiot for not figuring it out on my own. She wasn’t totally honest when it came to her original name but I feel like we should give her a pass in regards to that. I take it more likely that she genuinely believes that the old her is dead and that she has forgotten about her past (death of her father and the abandonment of her mother) and this is her moving on with her new life. But we all know that this is going to cause complications down the line for a lot of people.

I wonder if this episode as also hinted of what to expect in future episodes. We have seen that the grandmother has asked Gemma to live in their house and work for her as she will pay for her services and all. As of now she refused to accept this due to her pride and all. But just how long is that going to last. We have also seen her being harassed by the loan sharks not only at her house but also from the preview for the next episode at her work as well. Main Lead witness this and even proposes to clear her debts for her. Now I don’t see her accepting this due to her pride but this clearly leads us to the next step depending on how one looks at it. For instance he can still pay the amount behind her back and once she finds out she is initially furious at him for doing so and looking down at her. But now that she has to pay him back, she agrees to take care of his grandmother as well. This means that she gets to move into his place and work there as well. Or we can go the route of Fatal Promise (nearly finished that drama folks. I guess I will get to finally see the ending all of you keep referring to and all). He manages to convince her that her life would be in danger if she keeps living at her place since the loan sharks will continue to harass her and all. Thus, while he can protect her from them at work it can’t be the same when she has to go home. Therefore, she can move into his house till she pays them back.

Do you think any of the two scenarios are possible and if so, which one do you predict will happen or if you want one of your own? Frankly I feel the first one seems to be more likely at the moment but we will have to wait and see.

Not sure that I like the second female lead. But hey when do we actually like them. She wants to marry the money lenders second son but from what I can tell is he even all that great. From the talk that I gathered between mother and daughter the guy seems to be uber popular on social media but I can’t tell if he does a job or not. It is one of the reasons why the mother wanted her daughter to marry someone from a wealthier family but the daughter wasn’t all that interested and pointed out that the grandson that she chose was no slouch in that department as well as his grandmother was rich as well. But if I am being honest, she shouldn’t hold onto that thought alone.

We have seen just how unpredictable the grandmother can be. Thus, given her personality I wouldn’t find it hard to believe if she suddenly decided to donate all of her wealth for charity. She has already given one grandson a restaurant to run but probably only because he seems capable of doing so. Therefore, it may totally be possible that if she feels that her grandson won’t amount to anything else she won’t give him a dime. This means that the second female lead is going to be on the street faster than she can count. I am getting the impression that she is going after the guy based on his looks rather than his skills though I may be wrong in this department.

Another question that I seem to have is that the guy working for the grandmother in his search for her son is a con artist of sorts. He may have thought that he has found his cash cow for life. First of all, he presents people that can be possibly be her lost child and they get paid for it and I am sure he gets some money for his time and effort as well. After all nobody works for free. So, he continues to delay the search since he keeps getting paid. Then he hopes to strike lucky by possibly bringing in a fake and if the grandmother thinks that she got the right one he will milk said fake son for the rest of his life. But the problem here is that he doesn’t know exactly what he is looking for. By this time he knows that the son is supposed to have a scar on his hand but he doesn’t know what it looks like so he tries to be lucky.

I do wonder how they will eventually figure out the truth and how Gemma is connected to them all. But I guess she gets to live with her grandmother before the truth is revealed so I guess that is better than nothing at this point. Does Gemma even know what her dad looked like when he was a child that she can identify him or will it take her looking through her dads things by chance to discover the connection that she has to that family and how will the Second Lead and her mother react to this discovery.

@LeftCoastOppa you also brought up the fact of how the kids were frightened by a little thunder and woke up but that they were totally oblivious as too how their father treated their mother and all. I have an explanation for that I don’t know how well that will fly with others and if it is totally logical at this point.

First of all, it is possible that they usually are sound sleepers so they don’t know what is going on around them. It was just coincidence that they both managed to wake up on that fateful and stormy night thus their fear of thunder can easily be explained as bad timing. The second thing that I can go with is that probably the dad hadn’t been abusive in the past and it was only something that he started to do recently thus they didn’t catch all the signs. It also probably didn’t help that the mother didn’t want to worry them so she lied about how she got her injuries. Gemma being a smart girl might have eventually figured out the truth but who knows. After all the writer wants to justify Gemma going after her mother in Revenge so they will eventually end up making her the villain even though the husband was a wife abuser and all.

Speaking of stuff lets get the thinking caps on and try and figure out who will be the first one to connect all of the dots together and how. For instance, how will Designer Mom finally discover that Gemma is her daughter. I say that it has to be by the shoe necklace that she presented both of her kids. Gemma probably keeps that around her somehow and now that her brother has passed away, she will also have his to not only remember him but to be used as a focus for her revenge if she ever starts to become soft.

But I doubt that Designer Mom will be the first to recognize her. Perhaps it will be Second Lead. Not sure what will be the give away clue. Will she find a picture of her mother in Gemma’s house and wonder why that is the case and try to look into the matter? Once she discovers the truth she will try and get rid of her before her mother does because she will be afraid that her mother will want to return to Gemma. Though I suspect that Gemma wouldn’t want that to happen. Then again, I find it hard to believe that Gemma would keep a picture of her biological mother in the house. She has more than accepted the fact that her current mother is her mother now. Not that I care.

Also, what do you think will be Sloppy’s reaction once he discovers Gemma’s identity. He has done his best to ensure that his wife has cut all ties with her previous family and she claims to have done that. But then he suddenly finds out that her daughter is now working in their company and that to under his wife. Don’t you think that she has been lying to him all this time and all. Will he suddenly decide to become abusive to her just like her previous husband. Will that be a touch of Karma on her or will he try and get rid of her as well before the wife discovers the truth.

Oh well that covers some of my points for the time being until I actually remember what I am forgetting again. So till next time take care all of you and keep posting.

@LeftCoastOppa thanks once again for reminding me of a point that I was forgetting. Further points for beating me to it. Keep up the good work

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

On 7/14/2021 at 7:11 AM, yamiyugi said:

Hopefully this show will be more fun than the previous one but so far, I can’t seem to find the comic relief.

it really shows how important the comic relief is to watching these daily dramas. think the coffee ladies and their constant bickering and tight friendship is supposed to be funny but so far, it seems a bit forced? I find loan shark grandma more amusing. had to laugh when hee kyung and daughter thought they were being invited to dinner but instead loan shark grandma was kicking them out because of the guest. hahahahahha... @LeftCoastOppa ~ housekeeper seems so boring here. it would be amusing if coffee ladies end up working for loan shark grandma and move into the servants annex or whatever. then we would have some rather amusing times with everyone under the same roof. will that happen? so far, all the threads seem rather disconnected at the moment... 

• LOL 5
  • Awesome 2

The first time I caught Loan shark grandma and ML talking, she downtalk him asking him if he still wanted to be a professor who got into trouble by a student and his 'something' wife left him. I think she was a gold digger or cheating wife. I didn't quite catch it.  So I think we will be getting  two more new characters or at least one. The student and the wife are the same.

He seems like a decent guy. He suspected JA of lying then very quickly we see him changed his mind, none of that male ego, or playing games pretending he didn't like her.  I hope she does not play pretend either. Thank goodness, no otokes from her so far. 

• Like 7

Who exactly is this grandma and the professor? I'm slowly starting to get the connections between the characters but I'm still confused.

What happened to the annoying MIL? What happened to the sister-in-law? If the abusive dad is the son of money lender grandma (I still hate him and don't feel bad that he died at all, sorry writer-nim), that means Gemma is her granddaughter. I also feel very uncomfortable with her going after HK for her father's death. Yikes, that's gonna be messed up. We might get another Lee Hwayoung.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chococarmela said:

I'm slowly starting to get the connections between the characters but I'm still confused.

Me too, I'm really confused with the relationshio between the characters.

I'd definitely appreciate it if the drama explains what happened during the time jump. 

- Why did the MIL moved out from the house, completely changed her look to the point I had to double check the cast list to see if she is the same person, have 2 grandsons out of the blue, what?

- Why did the sister in law switched up completely, from being nasty to Hee Kyung, now she's kissing up to her, what?

- Also, please tell me the 2 grandsons are not biologically related to her. If Jin A's father is her son and both grandsons are Jin A's love interests, um...

I don't think we're suppose to feel bad about the abusive father's death.

1 hour ago, chococarmela said:

I also feel very uncomfortable with her going after HK for her father's death. Yikes, that's gonna be messed up. We might get another Lee Hwayoung.

I think revenge will only happen after she realises HK stole her shoe designs. That way, we'll be more comfortable rooting for Jin A.

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

@Secretz, @chococarmela ~ loan shark grandma isn't the mother-in-law. it looks like mother-in-law passed away because there was only a family photo of sister-in-law, mom, CEO and new daughter. sister-in-law is still around and being snarky when she can to mom (heekyung)

loan shark grandma is related to the male lead only. she is no-nonsense lady who lifted herself from the streets and values money. so her dream was to open a restaurant. it is not very clear but it sounds like her eldest grandson used to be a teacher/professor but then got framed by a female student (sexual harassment? affair?) and got kicked out of the teaching profession. he was also married to a gold digger who took him for a ride and then dumped him. there is a second grandson who we have yet to meet. new daughter is hoping to catch the second grandson but it looks like so far, it is just one-sided fishing. 

loan shark grandma's ties to gemma -- loan shark grandma had an adopted child but when she had her own, hubby decided to dump adopted kid (drunk dad) in the bus stop. so drunk dad grew up all sad and angry, married hee kyung and had gemma and jin ho. now, loan shark grandma is looking for this son hoping to make peace. she feels the reason her biological son and daughter-in-law passed away in accident is karma. so it is gemma who in the middle has ties to both of these families. 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2

While we're still waiting on subs for todays episode, I'm still sensing a distinct lack of urgency in any sort of revenge.  Jin-Ah knows her mother is living large and she refused to see her dying son. She knows Mom's company stole her designs, so what more does it take to get some Jin-Ah hissing and spitting? 

What sort of triggering event are we waiting on? :huh:

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1

The man who turned up as the abandoned son did not look that much older than JA, how could he be her father? The PI was probably scamming her.

JA was being chased by loan sharks and she walked alone in deserted places? 
I have said it before that JA looks old, I wish it's a prettier actress.

Please start on the revenge, this is too much background 7-8 episodes already. 

They have made the dead father an abandoned son who was probably abused by loan shark grandma's husband or both. That's why she knows of the scar.  It looks like a burn scar to me but Kdrama...who knows.

Abusers are usually abused children themselves, not an excuse but that was the statistics that I had read. He also grew up on the streets, probably with hoodlums.

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

Im going to put my 2 cents in first off i did not like the main felmale lead father at first but when i saw his  back story i kinda of understand his  feeling of being abandon but he did wrong in kicking the mother out like that  that i dont  agree with,but when i found out about Ms Choi back story it ticked   me of ,how she let her dad do that to her adoptive son Gemma dad  just dump him at the bus station i guess that how kdrama do that  when they want to get rid of a kid. Now Ms. Choi feel soooo guilty she  want to   find him,yeah  what ever, ,and when Gemma help her out  when she fainted and then invite her to dinner to thank her and  then   accuse Gemma of being with her at the hospital for reward money how worse can it get but it get worst, then  Ms Choi  need a kidney transplant both grandsons are not a match drum roll please sooo who a match  Who? Gemma of course yeahhhhhhhhhhh i saw it coming a mile away,Then when i saw how her oldest grandson beat up the thug for her ok there might be a romantic interest but is not to be i knew it when the grandson over hear the conversation with her friend about her selling her organ i dont think she was serious at the time i knew he was gonna ask her to sell her kidney for his Ms Choi and  when it happened  he just bluntly ask her if she would  sell her kidney to him and he will pay off her debt not a good romantic great  start buddy but the preview show how she will be selling  her kidney.all that aside how much more pathetic are they going make the main FL ,i guess her revenge will have to wait  

she'll be to busy selling her kidneyinternet Sell GIF

• Like 5