[Drama 2021] Red Shoes, 빨강 구두

Lmangla

10 hours ago, tofumochu said:

Just because her husband was abandoned by his own father - he abuses his wife...?

I don't get them showing his pity story, minus the 'i'm afraid of people leaving me'. But why the abuse?

Did his father hit him too...?

from the trailer, they showed one old lady looking for some boy with a scar. am guessing this was the husband who was abandoned as a child. so who wants to bet this old lady is now rich and jin ah will become some sort of heir? that is one reason. the other is maybe for the audience to have some sort of sympathy? that he may have been a mean drunk but he had his reasons -- that he was so scared by the abandonment that he took it out on everyone? however, it doesn't seem to have worked as most of us felt nothing. :sweatingbullets:

10 hours ago, tofumochu said:

I find it sus how none of the kids noticed their father's abuse and obvious alcoholism.

They're treating him like some angel. I'm pretty sure he's pretty vocal to disrupt any sleep.

one they were very young and two, his nastiness seemed to have come out when they were fast asleep. it didn't seem like the first time he had slapped the mom or thrown stuff around. also if you saw his funeral, it was empty. he didn't seem to have made much friends and so was probably a difficult person to get along with -- probably saw slights at every corner and picked fights with people.. 

13 hours ago, MisutheWitch said:

the husband was trash, no doubt, but she's really going to let a man tell her to stay away from her kids?

she didn't even really bat an eyelid even though she knew it was her husband that got hit. she recognized him and then pretended it was some random passerby. and she is even going to marry she shoe CEO who dumped her years ago -- guess she felt trapped by her marriage and by extension the kids? and if she wanted to achieve her dreams or use the exit she was given, she had to be merciless? it is going to get more complex because she has a daughter with this berthe CEO fella. so that will certainly sting jin ah lots..... 

• Like 5
  • Blob 3

8 hours ago, Lmangla said:

the preview does not look good for him.... 

He was at the funeral with her, then she was alone all the time. 

Even if HK was abused, you don't abandon your children high and dry. They can't take care of themselves yet. I hope we won't get this revenge against-your- abuser makes you an abuser too stuff. But of course, I am doomed to disappointment.

edit: The brother is a doctor it seems. She works 2-3 jobs maybe to support him. The coffee lady and brother should have treated them better, they got wads of money from Mr Kwon.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

so fast? why would they create a character if they were going to kill him so early? 

Yes he's dead. We get the columbrium scene, same place as his Pa in next episode.

The kid had missed his mother very much so on his dying bed ... he wanted to see the runaway mum. I think just to show she deserves the noose as in the trailers? To reject a dying son's wish. Again, Mr Kwon wouldn't let her see them. She's not fighting either.

She also plagiarises the shoe design that belongs to JA.

Now the interesting parts: 

JA picked up these obviously empty boxes, no amount of acting could change that, fellover and scratched his car. He asked for her number but we could see earlier, he likes. ;)

He is a disgraced professor and a divorcé. Not much details yet, hardly smiles - another cold, hurt ML waiting to meet the right woman. 

I thought the mother didn't recognise her, not sure. But Mr Kwon's mother is missing. She reminds me of the Evil stepmother, too much work done.

A wee bony abs came up last night if you haven't watched it, you haven't missed much.:hwaiting2:

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

caught up on the episode... 

On 7/8/2021 at 7:57 PM, joccu said:

so again we have a character who is a shoe designer who steal another person designs!

the stealing here seems so much worse in some ways because it seems like established company conduct, forcing employees to do the same and to top it off, she is stealing from her own daughter... :sweatingbullets:

10 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Her poor brother so sad:tears:.

yea, it was. I still don't get the logic of killing him off so quickly when he seemed rather sweet; guess it is to fuel jin ah's need for revenge? 

7 hours ago, Susu said:

The mother went from a quiet very mouse like person, hardly making eye contact. To evil person that threatens people around her to get what she want.  

in some ways, it is surprising right? guess, we didn't see the transition but it seemed to have happened the moment she decided to ditch her old life... so once you let go of some conscience, might as well throw out the entire lot? that seems to be her motto. but looks like the company is in trouble if they are borrowing from a private lender rather discretely. looks like loan shark grandma is going to be a tough customer to handle... 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

Initial thoughts on the drama:

First of all, just when I thought I finally don't have to feel bad for a character getting killed early on, we have Jin Ho dead. :tears:

The abusive father. I love how the drama showed the backstory which led him to abuse Hee Kyung, to props to that. Idk if his character was shown with more dimension purely to show his scar but I'm impressed. Nevertheless, this doesn't make him any better and he deserved what happened to him.

The fact that a child decided to set her foot down and declared that her mother is dead just because she overheard the ajummas saying that her mother ran away with someone is too much. Personally I find it unrealistic in this case because her hate happened overnight. But if some incident happened before then that caused her to build up that hate, then it'll be logical.

As for the ajumma who raised Jin A and Jin Ho, I love how her self conciousness. From their reason to blackmail to their reason to raise them, I think this part when by smoothly, rather than purely volunteering to raise them just because they are close, I think it made more sense that way. This doesn't mean blackmailing the guy was the right thing to do though.

The grandma. First off, can I just say that before and after the time jump she looks like two different people? In episode 5, she said that she doesn't have long to live so I think it would be a mega plot twist for her to be alive at the end.

Wasn't expecting abs in the drama, but WE GOT THEM IN EPISODE 5!!!!!! 

Her brother is a tool. His existance in this drama is just to serve another solid reason for Jin A to seek revenge. Personally, I think without his character death, there isn't enough reasons for Jin A to seek revenge.

- If the reason for revenge was because her father died, it wouldn't be a sold reason for her revenge. In her eyes, maybe it is, but as viewers, knowing that the father abused her mother, it'll be really hard to root for Jin A.

- If the reason for revenge was because she overheard the ajummas saying the mother had an affair and abandoned them, I don't think that's a solid reason. Maybe she will hold a grudge but not to the point where a revenge is needed.

So for the 5 episodes, the only justified reason for Jin A to seek revenge was her brother's death. But from episode 6 onwards, knowing that her mother stole the designs, it provides another (and I would say better) reason for her revenge.

But, Jin A has to set up her game because going to the company and complaining her stolen designs over there isn't really smart. The company could've easily silenced her. And the "coincidences" and the "misunderstandings" between the ML and the FL, I'm annoyed by that.

Final thoughts:

I'm seriously impressed on how fast paced this drama is. I was expected the time jump to happen in episode 20 or something. These 5 episodes are off to a great start, and it has increased my expectations for this drama.

However, it's still on the cliche side. At least, they changed from clothing design to shoe design. Although they are still under fashion design, I guess that's a start...

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

This drama is going at a fast pace but I'm struggling to gel with it.  But what is up with HK? Seems like her warm heart has gone so cold, it's like a glacier in Antartica. She gave up her children to be with a rich man, but even then, the relationship is on shaky ground. Also, what sort of lies has she been spinning about herself? When her daughter asked for the name of the university in Italy she studied at, she went quiet. If she was already a gifted designer, why the lies? What's really going on?

James Harden Reaction GIF by NBA

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

It was strange of HK to be plagiarising designs. When she was married to JA's father,  her design was the most popular in Lora. So what happened to her talent?

This is another show which says talents are inherited. Maybe yes, maybe no.

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

Flabbergasted at how little control Min Heekyung has. Like... you're really gonna let that wuss puss 'ol man to tell you not to see your dying child? You've already neglected them for 30 what years - the least you could do is grant his last wish. And he says no? How'd he like it if she their your deathbed daughter and chose a business venture instead?

Those children were her responsibility and she left them unattended even after their father died.

Rest in peace little one.

(Anyone found it hilarious how visibly old the 1990 parents versions seemed? They were like late 50 y/o in their 30s. Heck, even Hyuksang looked older than his present self.)

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

2 hours ago, maribella said:

It was strange of HK to be plagiarising designs. When she was married to JA's father,  her design was the most popular in Lora. So what happened to her talent?

am not surprised; anyone who is creative will tell you that there are highs and absolute droughts when you have mind blocks. and if you are under stress or unhappy, then the droughts become longer. she sold herself for her ambition and so that spark/joy is no longer there -- a happy mind fuels more creativity and her heart has turned to stone... 

3 hours ago, tofumochu said:

Flabbergasted at how little control Min Heekyung has. Like... you're really gonna let that wuss puss 'ol man to tell you not to see your dying child? You've already neglected them for 30 what years - the least you could do is grant his last wish. And he says no? How'd he like it if she their your deathbed daughter and chose a business venture instead?

had a slightly different take -- this is not a woman who is under his control at all. she is very much her own person and making decisions for herself. so we have 4 different characters that made interesting choices in reaction the hit-and-run. 

coffee lady's brother (am sure he will pop up later) made both a pragmatic as well as kind of take-advantage-of-situation choice -- he could have been like hee kyung and abandoned his sister and nephew and taken off with the money. instead, his first choice was to ensure his nephew's surgery was taken care of and he even buys his sister a phone. now we have coffee lady who decides to take jin ah and jin ho into her home. as she says, she feels guilty that they took the money that ought to have come to the kids and spent it on her own child. so her choice is to compensate these children by taking them in even though she hasn't gained any extra penny besides the operation cost. her brother refuses because seeing them every day will remind them of the choice they made and walks away from his sister and family with the rest of the money.

so if we look at it from that perspective, seeing the kids makes everyone feel guilty and reminds them of what happened that night. the CEO's choice is to insist that the kids be abandoned and she agrees. why? her ambition and frankly her greed. if she insisted her kids be brought in, they would all suffer from guilt pangs which would cripple them and leave them unable to continue the relationship. 

found it interesting that twice in the last episode, hee kyung is asked if she loves the CEO and she doesn't answer. during the interview, she is asked by the anchor if design or love came first and she instead gives a vague smile. when CEO asks if she still loves him and remarks she has changed, she doesn't say anything then either. the fact that she is not in love with him and neither is afraid of him makes her a bit of loose cannon really. she is doing things that work in her favour. so what does that mean for him really?

he also said excessive greed is poisonous -- so we are now seeing the effects of that. she has lost her creativity, is willing to cut all sorts of corners by stealing designs from students and so on... basically CEO and hee kyung are on a slippery slope and it will be interesting to see what all choices they make... 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1