[Drama 2022] Through The Darkness /Those Who Read Hearts of Evil, 악의 마음을 읽는 자들

larus

3 hours ago, jongski said:

Then the end credit.. which left me hanging.  I want Ep 4 right away.

Some people will find this drama moving slow paced but I totally loved it. I did not realise when the time has passed. Yeah, I want to watch the next episode right now. :D

What was interesting for me, was how the two of the new team has struggled to find a case or to convince people (former colleagues), police officers like them that they can help. Nobody knows about this new team or what they can do. Song Ha-Young and Kook Young-Soo went to see a murderer who dismembered his lover and now there is a similar case of a five years old victim. I felt the tension in the room and felt how Ha Young tried to remain composed in fron tof that moster. I did not know what was written on the report, about how many parts there were found. I thought Ha Young deliberately said the wrong number (23) to make the killer start talking. Even if it was not the case, I think their work is important. Talking with so many criminals, they want to document a criminal profile. 

Back to the case. It was funny how they desperately wanted to know whatever information from the cops working on the case. (Kook trying to convince his friend (now his superior) on the toilet, making pictures on the file locked in a closet, taking the pictures on the photo studio in the city, scaring the hell out of the owner:sweatingbullets: )When everyone ignores them and underestimates them, our profiler believe in what they do and don`t give up. I am frustrated that the others don`t listen to them but it is a new method of investigation and everything that is new, innovative is viewed with suspicion at first. When they will start to have results, people will see them in a different light. 

2 hours ago, confusedheart said:

I can't stand that female detective. She is ready to dismiss people without giving them a proper hearing. Moreover, she has no compunction in 'stealing' the cues from the very people she dissed. 

Don`t be too harsh on her. :D I don`t dislike her. Of course, she is not very open like everyone else at the moment but I can see that she is a dedicated professional. Nobody is perfect. And she is a woman in the departement full of men, and she has to work harder to prove herself. She doesn`t let her guard down. (She was defensive. She even said "Don`t look down on her team.")  She really thought she knows her job and them getting in their way. But when Ha Young and Kook came to show their report, she listened carefully. She did not  dismiss them right away. I think both want the same thing but their methodes are different. I understand why she was like that and I don`t fault her to respond like any other person. I think she will open to the new team in time.

I am curious if there is another reason she was so harsh to Ha Young. It was mentioned that they knew each other previously, they worked together for a short time. We found out in the first episode that he was transfered from his first job (the violence department) but we don`t know why. Ha Young asked female detective :"Do you disapprove of our team or you dissaporve of me specifically?" Yeah... I am curious too. I think Song Ha Young has to fight to prove that the profilers job is important and fight personal prejudice against him.

I liked how he said that profilers are police officers who use psychology and the other way around. I am rooting for our team to prove themselves. It is a pioneer`s job and that`s the hardest. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

28 minutes ago, Miky88 said:

Looks like from episode 5 they will show Yoo Young-chul aka the infamous Raincoat Killer based on the preview…

I knew they will show about Yoo Young Chul case in the drama but I did not recognize his method in episode 4. He had many victims.

• Insightful 1
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, larus said:

I knew they will show about Yoo Young Chul case in the drama but I did not recognize his method in episode 4. He had many victims.

Indeed..I based it more on the preview were he kills elderly people that are rich as well,women,the hammer and the police fake ID...

It is just a guess as the year is a bit iffy but I guess they will fast forward to the year in cause...

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 3

Loved ep 3.  Initially, the female detective rubbed me the wrong way too, @confusedheart.  But then I assume it was because she's a woman like @larus mentioned in her post.  I agree that she was more open to the BA team after their presentation.. I am curious about what went down between Ha Young and the detective.  He, apparently, didn't think it was that big of a deal since he thought he could her that the BA team could help.  She seems to have a different perception of whatever happened.  [Sorry, I can't remember the names yet].

@confusedheart I read your spoiler and that's who I think the culprit is too.

The detectives are sure persistent.  I would not want to run around town checking out refrigerators to see if they had the same grill as that on the victim's back.  I say, let's find something else to check out!:tounge_wink:

You know who I don't like is the journalist.  I don't want to see a romance if that is the reason she is in the drama.  

Yay off to see ep 4!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

On 1/16/2022 at 9:56 PM, CarolynH said:

Good question @larus  We know what happened when Ha Young was a child, but how did growing up shape his current personality?  Yeah, I was angry watching Captain Park beating Ki Hoon into a confession.  I know they're under pressure to solve a hideous crime, but now look-the police look bad for sending an innocent man to prison.  

had some thoughts yesterday but was too tired to post and went off to sleep. so here goes even if I am a week late. so I find it interesting that despite all our cultural differenes, there are certain aspects of us humans that is the same everywhere. unfortunately, one of them is crime or the hearts of evil. so I can't remember the exact number (it is something like 75% or more) but in many true crime documentaries, the police will mention that most murders are not random and the victim often knew the assailant. in many cases, it is the spouse. this is why any murder investigation starts with the family members or those around them. by that yard rule, captain park cornering ki hoon makes sense. also as ha young counts down the various reasons, we can see why ki hoon seems the most likely suspect. as for beating the confession, as @carolinedl and @larus mentioned, this kind of behaviour was rather standard by police in many parts of the world. it has taken push by activitists, human rights lawyers as well as different judges to change those attitudes that even suspects have rights and that evidence is needed before someone can be convicted. before, it was more about gut than so much evidence. also we see that captain park is being rather emotional and getting clouded -- he was upset that the victim was pregnant. so he basically decided to get justice for the victim in some way or the other. he wasn't putting aside emotion and thinking logically. 

as for ha young's personality - like his forensics superior mentioned, he has a lot of sensitivity. perhaps because he saw the lady in the lake as a child, a victim is more than some sort of random person or a case. so rather than just justice in general, he is interested in finding closure for the families. even as a child, he seemed rather introverted and not very lively. so perhaps, he was always more prone to being logical and able to separate his emotions from his thoughts. it is also possible that to get over what happened at the lake, he naturally developed a tendency to separate his emotions and his thoughts so that he was less likely to break....  off to see ep 2

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

very impressed with this korean style Criminal minds! watched cm since season 1 but personally think this kdrama is even better than cm! it goes into deep details to portray criminal profilers and the criminal cases including the criminals. it's also about the thought process of the profilers and the female detective involved. KMG, as always, does a marvelous in portraying this character, and so are the other 2 leads. sometimes watching drama like this makes me wonder if criminal cases like these actually happened. it's so difficult to fathom why this kind of horrible and sickening crimes could happen in an law-and-order society.

does anyone know anything about the pd? couldnt find any info about the person. think he does an excellent filming this drama, especially the bgm. looking for the fridge is such a boring and tedious job, but with the right bgm, the tension built up and just got suck into their searching process. 

• Like 7
  • Blob 2

@Lmangla Noona, another thing is that there was no evidence that the boyfriend wasn't the killer actually. He had already confessed (without force) that he had a fight with the victim, and the fingerprint sample Ha Young had sent for analysis also proved to be his. So with this happening back in the time where the police brutality was still a thing, and they would force the culprits to confess using violence, the captain was actually pretty sure that the boyfriend was the killer there. 

Now what I really liked was the fact that he actually supported Ha Young asking the forensics to do the fingerprint analysis and send the results asap, when they found a new suspect for the same case. At least he didn't try to cover things up, which shows that the police actually wanted to do what they were supposed to, but they were using the methods passed on to them by their seniors. Not all such police officers were actually corrupt. I was very happy they showed this, since in his mind, the captain was actually doing what he thought was right and was sure that the boyfriend was the culprit. Not defending his actions here, but its good that they showed such a case. 

@larus Chingu, I actually agree that special forces team lead being a woman is having a hard time. Like you said she is leading a team of men, and we already saw how the other guys speak behind her back. She needs to survive in a place which is run by men, doing a job which was said to be a men's job a lot back in the day. So I find it normal for her to build a wall against the people trying to help thinking they might want to just take away all the credit here, or if that is not what she thinks, she might even think she is being looked down for being a woman. But we did see that she actually agreed to co-investigate with Ha Young and co. when she realized that they can actually help her solve the case, so I believe her priorities are set correctly. 

There is certainly some history behind her and Ha Young. As many suspect, there is a high chance he was in her team before joining the team he was in the first episode. We already know that Ha Young never got along with his team members and they hinted the same in the first episode where they spoke about him transferring in the new station. But it will definitely change. We already saw how she reacted to Ha Young asking the inn-keeper lady to respect her as she is a detective and also the one who is leading this case, which I think she never expected him to acknowledge. I believe till then, she surely thought that the Behavior Analysis Team (not sure if I wrote the name correctly) is in this case to get the credits for solving a high profile case, and not really working with them as team, but seeing him acknowledge her as team lead meant that they were working under/with her, and not really independently. 

I am off to watch the 4th episode :piggydance:

• Like 5
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

There is certainly some history behind her and Ha Young. As many suspect, there is a high chance he was in her team before joining the team he was in the first episode. We already know that Ha Young never got along with his team members and they hinted the same in the first episode where they spoke about him transferring in the new station. But it will definitely change. We already saw how she reacted to Ha Young asking the inn-keeper lady to respect her as she is a detective and also the one who is leading this case, which I think she never expected him to acknowledge. I believe till then, she surely thought that the Behavior Analysis Team (not sure if I wrote the name correctly) is in this case to get the credits for solving a high profile case, and not really working with them as team, but seeing him acknowledge her as team lead meant that they were working under/with her, and not really independently. 

Yeah, it is possible. They worked together for a short time we know that Ha Young is not a person who is like an open book. Au contraire. It possible that she had a misconception about him. I noticed how pleasant surprised she was when he acknowledged her as a team leader and took her side. I believe that she did not think that the new team will get credit. It is more than that. We can`t expect her to be so open minded about the new Behavioral Analysis Team when even the higher ups and other police officers did not know or trust what they were doing. She was a team leader (a woman team leader) who believe in herself that her team is good enough and professional enough to caught the criminal. Accepting someone outside her team will be a personal  affront to her as a leader. Even a man team leader would have done the same.   I appreciated that the two senior officers in rank (two direct bosses) did not order her to take the new team. She needed people to work at this difficult and unusual case and she accepted eventually. Funny how even the bosses were skeptical about the Behavioral Analysis team report. They let them work on the case unnoficial. 

The new team has an opportunity to show why it is important to have profilers when investigate serial killers, these type of murderers. Everyone will understand (in a field case) what profilers do, how they create a profile of a suspect, how they form logical hypotheses based on the evidence they had, how they will try to `read the minds of evils` to catch them. Together, they will find and arrest the killers of those hideous crimes. 

3 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I am off to watch the 4th episode

I have not found subtitles for episode 4 yet.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Miky88 said:

Indeed..I based it more on the preview were he kills elderly people that are rich as well,women,the hammer and the police fake ID...

now yeah... sounds like that case. I read that he indeed dismembered a young woman in her 20s. The cases were horrific like any other cases of a serial killer. The profilers were right. They suspected that the killer was arrested before of small crimes first. That was the case of Raincoat Killer . From theft to murder and canibalism. :crazy:

“Through The Darkness” Pulls Ahead Of “Tracer” With No. 1 Ratings; “Snowdrop” And “Bulgasal” See Dip

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Jan 23, 2022
by E. Cha

SBS’s “Through the Darkness” soared to new heights last night!

On January 22, the new crime drama starring Kim Nam Gil achieved its highest viewership ratings to date. According to Nielsen Korea, the fourth episode of “Through the Darkness” scored an average nationwide rating of 8.2 percent, marking a new personal record for the show.

Notably, for the first time since its premiere, “Through the Darkness” managed to beat out MBC’s popular drama “Tracer,” which airs in the same time slot and earned an average nationwide rating of 7.8 percent for the night. “Through the Darkness” was also the most-watched miniseries of Saturday among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it surpassed an average rating of 5 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1509577wpp/through-the-darkness-pulls-ahead-of-tracer-with-no-1-ratings-snowdrop-and-bulgasal-see-dip

I am glad the drama Through the Darkness has good ratings.

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

@larus  and others. Yes, we love this type of drama. Happy to see others  watching this and lively discussion of episodes. Episode 4 not sub yet so I'm also waiting.

From the preview, two pr 3 fngers are missing (I thought of Beyond Evil). Like I mentioned previous page the culprit is known for being neat and organized body parts put in two plastic bags.   What would be  and what could be the motive for this brutal killig of a five year old. Ha Young said culprit is not mentally unstable.

For Captain Yoon, her investigation team is the one handling this. She worked with Ha Young before. I remember he mentioned this to Kook. Maybe they had a fallout or something. The main reason she didn't want to have the Behavioral Analysis team, It's her investigation. She wanted to prove that even with her as woman police, that she can do the job as well as the male counterparts.  Her conversation with the younger police woman transfered to the dept touches on this.

As for Song Ha Young when he was child he fell into th sea and saw the dead woman. He was staring at her. This started the fascinatio. He mentioned to the doctor, he felt so sad for woman and how she may be missing her family. The doctor  said it's not like Ha Young doesn't feel anything. Rather it's more like feels too much the emotions of others.  He didn't friend growing up and he's an introvert. As child they must have found him weird.  Also maybe on latter episode, we'll see flasback the investigation about death of the woman. Perhaps Ha Young delve deep into this. This is what started how he is at present.

FJsoaRfWUAU48bW?format=jpg&name=small

cr:veysel twt

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

am a bit lost w/ ep4 abt the killer... did he really aim for kidnapping and ransom at the beg? after he drugged the little girl, she stirred up his criminal instincts in him, right? the way the criminal responded in the interrogation was kinda unclear to me!

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

EP 4 was so disturbing, not to mention heart-breaking. I had to pause at times and take a break before I could watching the episode. I can't even imagine how sick these minds are to commit a heinous crime like the one the culprit committed.  I am intrigued to know his story. I am excited about the interviews in the next episode. At the same time, I am scared, very very scared of what is about to come. The preview looked extremely disturbing. 

18 minutes ago, SJW said:

am a bit lost w/ ep4 abt the killer... did he really aim for kidnapping and ransom at the beg? after he drugged the little girl, she stirred up his criminal instincts in him, right? the way the criminal responded in the interrogation was kinda unclear to me!

I think he was fully aware of what he was doing. Asking for a ransom was never really part of his plan. Remember, he has a history of molesting a minor and was just released after serving 2 years 6 months. Also, if I remember clearly, one of the detectives later says that the culprit never really apologized to anybody. He apologized but when the detective questioned him who we was apologizing to, he never responded. So IMO, he was fully conscious of his actions. 

I have watched MindHunter Seasons 1 and 2, I don't recall being this disturbed or overwhelmed by the episodes. Maybe, the first season, but never to this extent. 

The way each one of them tried to come to terms with the incident, each one had their own way. That was such a humane thing.  

@CarolynH Alrighty chingu. I won't be so harsh. She did redeem herself. (although only slightly):D

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

@confusedheartyes it is indeed disturbing! thts why i appreciate this pd's style of filming this drama! it is not as gory as some ocn criminal drama and it doesnt have to, the editing, bgm and the actors/actresses are strong enough in conveying the tension and all kinds of emotions in this drama. have to applause the actors/actresses in portraying those psychopathic criminals, like the guy in the jail and the kid in the first 2 eps!

in ep4 i was so frustrated and feeling so edgy w/ the convenience store owner for not recognizing the suspect. he just saw the photo!!! sure it happens in real life! love the writer is so attentive to this kind of detail and it makes the drama feel so real!

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

34 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

I have watched MindHunter Seasons 1 and 2, I don't recall being this disturbed or overwhelmed by the episodes. Maybe, the first season, but never to this extent. 

yea, it is taking me quite a while to get through an episode. this is not one of those series that can be binge watched at all. I finished ep 2 and need a break. so will catch up on ep 3 and 4 later on this week....

ep 2 thoughts -- so it was interesting that police as well as the general public thought it was humiliating and beyond the dignity of a policeman to collaborate with a criminal to get behaviour insight. so ha young really went above and beyond and put aside his pride in order to get justice. he had to admit to himself that he may not have the answers and was not afraid to look foolish in front of others. that is actually really tough to do no? 

it was interesting that to save face, the police chief agrees to create a behaviour analysis team and make it seem like ha young interviewing that criminal was part of that preliminary team prep. since ha young himself does not know what a profiler is and there are cultural sensibilities at play, it will be interesting to see how ha young shapes the position of a profiler. 

side note -- found it amusing that till the end, the police superior kept calling it pilot instead of profiler as he just found it difficult to pronounce the word. forensics chief sure is persistent though and has such a strong belief in data. should be interesting to see how that comes into play in future episodes... 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Showing Ha Young's humanity is what I liked best about ep 4.  Feeding the stray cat and leaving flowers for the parents of the dead girl; I was moved by his kindness.  I bet his omma worries about him a lot; going home, then retreating to his room.  Who else was shouting, at the end, why are you walking alone, late at night, on a deserted street? And in heels no less.  Bring sneakers so you can run!

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, CarolynH said:

.  Feeding the stray cat and leaving flowers for the parents of the dead girl; I was moved by his kindness. 

I agree. His kind gesture especially towards the bereaved family, really touched my heart. 

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

ep 2 thoughts -- so it was interesting that police as well as the general public thought it was humiliating and beyond the dignity of a policeman to collaborate with a criminal to get behaviour insight.

Exactly! Shouldn't solving the case and delivering justice be more important? Chimera too had an innocent man forced to confess and later dying in custody. When someone is actually trying to help uncover justice, instead of supporting and helping him, everyone starts ridiculing him. It was something new in SK but they kept on saying how it had  already been in use in the US for decades. 

I'd say the second case really left me shaken. But I started watching The Raincoat Killer on NF just to get a heads up and I am left so unsettled. 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

So I watched episode 4th, and it was disturbing, but more than that it was actually sad. The videos of the Soo Hyun the family were playing was the saddest scene of the episode. I actually love how they are showing Ha Young getting noticed by others to be a lot different than they had thought him to be. The team leader and her partner seeing Ha Young feed the cat and being surprised by it, since she never thought he was like that, maybe she saw him as more of a cold person due to his limited human interactions. Interestingly later in the episode we do see her to have adopted that cat as well. 

Then we see him silently put the flowers in front of Soo Hyun's home for her. So while others feel he does not really feel anything, I believe he is actually the person suffering the most here, and its just that he cannot express it since he does suppress it now, just like his mom was worried for. 

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the murder case they were talking over lunch, Daesang serial murder case which they talked about, wasn't it the Hwaseong (gyeongi) serial murders that happened back in 1986-1991 and then suddenly stopped. I think the brief clips they were showing of the victims found, with their hands and legs tied were what had happened in that case. So I think they just changed the name of the serial murders case here maybe :rubchin:

Chingus Correct me if I am wrong here. 

Now the next case seems interesting, and more brutal of course, and I think the bar will continue to get higher as we go ahead in the drama. I don't really know much about the Raincoat murders being talked about here, but yeah things will be more serious going forward as its gonna be a serial murder case. 

Now talking about the culprit caught in the 4th episode, @confusedheart Chingu, I do agree that he was lying about the ransom money or other stuff. I think Ha Young and team didn't really buy those statements, and we will see them get back to him next episode. Its also interesting how the other teams are actually feeling about the Behavior Analysis Team, and the whole talk about them taking the credit. I think the female team leader has started to trust this team and also knows the importance of their work to some extent now. 

8 hours ago, larus said:

Yeah, it is possible. They worked together for a short time we know that Ha Young is not a person who is like an open book. Au contraire. It possible that she had a misconception about him. I noticed how pleasant surprised she was when he acknowledged her as a team leader and took her side. I believe that she did not think that the new team will get credit. It is more than that. We can`t expect her to be so open minded about the new Behavioral Analysis Team when even the higher ups and other police officers did not know or trust what they were doing. She was a team leader (a woman team leader) who believe in herself that her team is good enough and professional enough to caught the criminal. Accepting someone outside her team will be a personal  affront to her as a leader. Even a man team leader would have done the same.   I appreciated that the two senior officers in rank (two direct bosses) did not order her to take the new team. She needed people to work at this difficult and unusual case and she accepted eventually. Funny how even the bosses were skeptical about the Behavioral Analysis team report. They let them work on the case unnoficial. 

I agree with you here, it was also more of the trust issue, especially with Ha Young there. We stha ill don't know what was the deal between them, but its clear that she didn't really like him there. It was interesting how Ha Young very subtly hinted and low-key replied to her sarcastic comment on them in the 4th episode while having lunch. 

Well, talking about the Behavioral Analysis Team, I believe if we look at it realistically, they made it to calm the public outrage on the murder case being solved back in episode 2. No one really trusts them and as they said, it is to be dissolved in less than a year. 

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

ep 2 thoughts -- so it was interesting that police as well as the general public thought it was humiliating and beyond the dignity of a policeman to collaborate with a criminal to get behaviour insight. so ha young really went above and beyond and put aside his pride in order to get justice. he had to admit to himself that he may not have the answers and was not afraid to look foolish in front of others. that is actually really tough to do no? 

Its also interesting how Ha Young does pay attention to what others say, even if he does not agree with them. Like how his captain was talking about the prisoner would start asking for favors and getting ahead of himself. So when Ha Young did see that dude actually try to get the upper hands there, he was quick enough to put him in his place. 

And yes, even for Ha Young, it should have actually been very hard and also risky (he must have known about the backlash) to go and meet with a criminal in prison to understand the criminals. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Exactly! Shouldn't solving the case and delivering justice be more important? Chimera too had an innocent man forced to confess and later dying in custody. When someone is actually trying to help uncover justice, instead of supporting and helping him, everyone starts ridiculing him. It was something new in SK but they kept on saying how it had  already been in use in the US for decades. 

it is easy to understand crimes such as those driven by jealousy, power, greed, love etc because they happen  everywhere and have been happening since society exists. in that way, humans are all alike. however, these crimes from the hearts of evil are very difficult to understand and often, it is easier to believe they can happen elsewhere but not here.

in soviet russia, there was this case that went on for years and initially, the police couldn't believe it was happening there. when the guy was finally caught, it was shown to the public as 'excess of capitalism effect'. so sometimes, there are political idealogies that may prevent taking ideas from elsewhere. then there are the different society dynamics. I remember locally there was a case in the late 90s/early 2000s but people really couldn't believe it could happen here -- the reason was geographic population density. it happened in neighbourhoods where there were so many people and yet no one was aware. how is that possible? there was the assumption that such crimes could happen in the US because their houses were far apart and they had huge properties. even I was stuck by that aspect while watching ep 2 -- these are neighbourhoods with tightly packed houses and so many people.

so there can be multitude of reasons on why the police in the drama would not see a need for such an unit. also, if we learn anything from international business, just because something works in one place does not mean it translates well to another region. starbucks for example was a flop in australia. so any system or idea cannot be blindly copied. it has to be adapted to local cultural sensibilities and ground realities. so it will be interesting if the drama explores how they took the foreign idea of profiler and made it their own. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1