Are you still looking at the ratings??

In Korea, advertisers are still looking to the ratings. Their local industry is getting big support from these shows in terms of marketing local products. Imagine a 5.1% nationwide TV rating equals 1.1 million viewers when Law School premiered in April.

As an international fan, I do also look up to these numbers in choosing what drama/s I need to include in my list. There’s a lot of expansion projects going on in reaching the global audience.

Check the latest from Tuesday’s drama sched. Source: “Youth Of May” Takes Back No. 1 Spot As “Racket Boys” Sees Drop In Ratings For 2nd Episode

• 1 month later...

Honestly for me, personally, i do not look at the ratings. I've watched series that had high ratings and were all over different platforms that i couldn't miss it. Checked them out and were not to my liking. Then again, i may just be picky and like certain styles and type.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 4:36 AM, miss_vicky said:

Honestly for me, personally, i do not look at the ratings. I've watched series that had high ratings and were all over different platforms that i couldn't miss it. Checked them out and were not to my liking. Then again, i may just be picky and like certain styles and type.

If you're into buying official merchandise, ratings will help you buy stuffs from the drama :)

2 hours ago, Ahjumemshie Lee said:

If you're into buying official merchandise, ratings will help you buy stuffs from the drama :)

wow really? i never thought about that or think it would have such official merch. then again, i shouldn't be surprise since things have come a long way over the years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miss_vicky said:

wow really? i never thought about that or think it would have such official merch. then again, i shouldn't be surprise since things have come a long way over the years.

Of course, korean dramas are advertising platforms of Korean brands :) 

Take this as an example: Nevertheless official merchandise

• 3 weeks later...

Admit it or not, ratings do really have a big impact to the whole team and to the production as well. This does not only apply to dramas but to variety shows as well. Ratings reflect whether viewers liked it or not. Some dramas and shows were cut short because of very low ratings and some are also extended because of high ratings. Personally, I do sometimes check the ratings to gauge the situation and see how well it was received in SK since we can't do anything. We might like what we are watching but koreans might not like it so it is helpful to see the ratings from time to time to gauge for possibilities of extension or cancellation. Usually, ratings also has an effect on the year-end awards. 

Yeah, I still do. With various content circulating in multiple streaming platforms, I really want to save time from trying each of them. So, most of the time, I rely on reviews and synopses online.