[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

I will miss the series next weekend with the hiatus :(... but I guess I'll take the opportunity to rewatch from ep.01 :lol: I'll be optimistic about it and think that they are preparing a spectacular ending, with great CGI, thriling and action-packed. And will keep hoping that Naksu recovers her powers and the romance with Uk has a happy ending.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

IT's a makjang ? or what? now Bu Yeon biologic father is someone else, lol these writers

Heo girl is definitely in love with Jang Uk, but man didn't see anything, he will be in confusion later when someone maybe will tell about his marriage with this girl, i want him to tell this girl that he doesn't love her but she seems to belive the contrary

So confession for the leads, but no really clear for them, i'm disappointed, i wanted a best kiss

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

I was just wondering if we finally got the direct confession of love (of uk and md respectively) from the preview of ep 11/12/13/14 (sorry lost count) finally in ep 15..

:surprisedwut:

ep15 end convo is just a sure path to angsty couple end. Just feel so sad for naksu..

Ep16 preview... just lol that MD can stay brutally objective choyeon and uk are like match made in heaven

Buckling seat belt for 2 weeks wait after tomorrow..

2 hours ago, marrez1 said:

Heo girl is definitely in love with Jang Uk, but man didn't see anything, he will be in confusion later when someone maybe will tell about his marriage with this girl, i want him to tell this girl that he doesn't love her but she seems to belive the contrary

Can't blame her since drama direction is to choose this one time for uk to be totally oblivious and not the emotionally upfront guy he usually is. Or i just forgot that daeho people are really progressive. 

Oh ya and not forgeting that i can only say park jin is always trumped by romance card :loolz:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

A quick rant before i go to sleep.

*SPOILER ALERT*

(I did wonder whether i should have posted this under a spoiler tag but when i tried to go back and edit this, the editor refused to do that idk why)

● Why is it that they always get angry whenever they're professing their love to each other lol. I think as far as i remember, they're the only couple who ever did that, multiple times, each time completed with death threats. Apparently we're not kidding when we said that death threats is kinda their love language :sweatingbullets:

● I mean, sure, i called it that the confession in the preview was uk saying it to jin to save mudeok from any suspicion. But, really, jin? Even to me it sounds totally ridiculous. He was asking what is it that they're hiding about mudeok's past but the answer was just them being in love with each other? And that shut him up?

● Naksu's sword got a mention! I knew it's going to be significant (the drama poster did not lie) and i have been wondering when it would show up again.

● The image of mini-master-lee knocking heo yeom on the head with his cane got me rolling.

● I could totally do without seeing that blood worm.ever.again. *shivers*

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Rollito Deprimavera said:

I will miss the series next weekend with the hiatus :(... but I guess I'll take the opportunity to rewatch from ep.01 :lol: I'll be optimistic about it and think that they are preparing a spectacular ending, with great CGI, thriling and action-packed. And will keep hoping that Naksu recovers her powers and the romance with Uk has a happy ending.

I am sure naksu will get her powers back. But she will also upgrade her power after sharing body with Mudeok/buyeon. Also naksu gained her respect too. Many have come to respect and care for her including the crown prince. She would become more well rounded person. I think master Lee or buyeon will teach her to control her resurrected body with hwansu without needing ice stone. I believe yul kept her body safe. Naksu only needs to do alchemy of souls back to her body. But first she will learn to use hwansu she will learn from master Lee. Buyeon would give her powers. Then she will shift to back to her body. Then she will be more like master Lee. 

Despite for having strong development romance with jang Uk, it would change a lot when she shifted her body. I think her feelings wouldn’t change but I think it will affect jang uk. It is just very different identity. I may have to suffer to watch the romance grow in different naksu in her own body am when we would mourn for mudeok/naksu/buyeon and even jung somin. She really nailed her part in three characters in Mudeok’s, and not to forget her chemistry with Lee jae wook. It was growing so much. 

i am not soooo sure about UK’s happy ending. My prediction is that…. Uk and/naksu May remain single. Yul May get married to someone else. The crown prince may end up lady heo. Mudeok: jin buyeon will die early or disappear because there is no cure for ice stone. She can either sacrifice herself or disappear. 

My reasoning for that is the separation of naksu and jin buyeon in Mudeok’s body would affect jang uk. Buyeon’s sacrifice may hurt him. Most of you may think that mudeok is completely Naksu’s soul and memories. And mudeok is a vessel. I am actually missing out the story of Naksu’s destiny and why jang gang is looking for her. Naksu is also the key to all of these things. I sometimes think mudeok has bits of buyeon and more naksu. Buyeon since birth May have same fate as jin seol- ran, and jang uk same as the founder of songrim. I think jin seol-ran either disappear or sacrificed herself. She may be the ice stone. That is why the poem wasn’t able to reach her. I think buyeon’s destiny is jang UK’s love and partnership. I think it is one of the reason that naksu began to have shared feelings with buyeon for jang uk. That is my belief but I think buyeon also have something to contribute to jang UK’s growth. 

some of you were very antsy why jin ho gyeong did not recognise her daughter. This latest episode made me realise something. There are enemies in jin household. First, jin mu as half brother then the father. Jin buyeon May have thought her mother and family betrayed her. I am guessing that cho yeon is similar to Jang uk. Her father soul shifted and choyeon unlike buyeon was born into different father’s soul. Her mother may have known or guessed the changes in her husband. I guessed that way because he mentioned that buyeon is not like even his. And called cho yeon his beloved. I do think the mother knows and doesn’t get too close to her second daughter. But she still loves her. I also think buyeon purposely do not want to reveal to her mother yet. Buyeon has every reason to do so. Because she is ice stone. A symbol and product of everyone’s desire. She probably thought her mother also betrayed her. So I think buyeon didn’t want to come out but sometimes something came too strong to her that mudeok becomes jin buyeon but the soul restrain herself all of sudden. She probably know there are a lot of enemies in jin household. I think buyeon restrain her energy from her mother either to keep her family safe or trying to protect the ice stone. The ice stone is only for Jang uk to use. 

There is a lot of need to know and bring out buyeon’s story. Especially after she rescued jang uk from soul shifting/alchemy of souls. She looked at him with loving face and feelings. She looks like she knew and have unrequited love for him. She knew she can’t reveal herself because she is a very dangerous person. She is even more dangerous than naksu. She is waiting for a right time to reveal herself so jang uk can work with her to save daeho again. I think naksu is a gift the leader of songrim didn’t get when he lost jin seol-ran. In some ways, jang Uk may decide to be single. And naksu may do the same. He may go with naksu to have happy ending but it is little weird for us who are invested somin-jaewook chemistry! Hopefully the writer will make a happy ending for all.

i am still antsy about season 2. So we will continue the guessing game! 

Edited by Tina288

Poor Choyeon and Buyeon both. Their parents are terrible! (Well. We don't know who Buyeon's dad is, it's very hard to keep track of all of the soul hopping adults here. But the ones we know are definitely problematic. The half-uncle, too. I hope the clueless blond mage elopes with Choyeon and they live happily ever after, far away from her creepy family!)

I don't think we have enough of Buyeon's actual personality at this point (ep 15) to make much of her? Perhaps she will be absorbed into Mudeok/Naksu. I wouldn't expect her to want to return to her mother after seeing how the woman treats everyone she is related to (including Mudeok). I just feel like if she was going to be a significant character on her own, we would have seen her actual personality and personal action more in the plot by now.

I'm glad there was progress with suspicion about the Soyi girl and with Naksu being curious about Mudeok's past. And I'm glad Yul spoke up and said he had met Soyi and all the men who were killed. I feel like some people are starting to put some pieces together. Also, the crown prince still isn't the brightest light out there, but I think he also is starting to have some good questions regarding his household. Soyi's entire storyline, though...urgh. No worms, please. Not ever again. *shudder*

Finally, a word to Mudeok: look, girl. I know you had that whole past life where you were married to that guy who wouldn't show his feelings, like, EVER, and you even ran away to Sinsadong and left him alone with his cat and made him lose the house and everything, all because/until he learned to express his feelings to you. But please. You don't have to recreate that experience? Just GO HUG UK and admit you like him. Without yelling at him? We know you like him, he knows you like him, now even the head of Songrim knows you like him. And you know you like him, too, so just go for it, okay? Let him take you up that tree and confess directly. Just accept the fact that he's crazy for you, and you feel the same. It's okay. The world won't end. It might even be a nicer place wtih a little kissing here and there. :) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

Oh, I was also going to say that I want Choyeon and Mudeok to become besties eventually. Like, they ARE sisters in some warped sorcery kind of way, or at least they share some blood?? The only decent people to come out of that household. But I hope if they do, they become friends on their own, before realizing Mudeok's past history. When Choyeon isn't being a brat (understandable, given her weird home life), she's kind of cute. She'd be a great little sister to have.

Also, Uk is a bit ahead of Yul. Yul knows Mudeok is Naksu, but he has no idea that Uk has known it since he first saw her. However, Uk is well aware of the fact that Yul met the original Naksu (and is jealous of that fact). It looks like from the preview, Uk is going to let Yul know he knows?

• Like 3

Here is the ratings for episode 15! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Alchemy Of Souls” And “It’s Beautiful Now” Soar To Their Highest Saturday Ratings Yet + “Big Mouth” Hits New All-Time High

Three dramas set new personal records last night!

On August 6, both tvN’s “Alchemy of Souls” and KBS 2TV’s “It’s Beautiful Now” achieved their highest viewership ratings to date for a Saturday, when their ratings are typically lower compared to Sundays.

According to Nielsen Korea, the latest episode of “Alchemy of Souls” scored an average nationwide rating of 6.6 percent. The fantasy romance drama also took first place in its time slot among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 3.8 percent.

“Alchemy Of Souls” And “It’s Beautiful Now” Soar To Their Highest Saturday Ratings Yet + “Big Mouth” Hits New All-Time High | Soompi

• Like 6

9 hours ago, SleepyKitty said:

Why is it that they always get angry whenever they're professing their love to each other lol. I think as far as i remember, they're the only couple who ever did that, multiple times, each time completed with death threats. Apparently we're not kidding when we said that death threats is kinda their love language :sweatingbullets:

Yes I was thinking exactly the same thing! Uk is so tender when he regards Heo Yoon Ok - if I hadn't know any better I would have thought they were the OTP. Yeah I get that they are candidate to world's couple with most complicated relationship, background, circumstances.. Honestly after calling out their feelings, things have been just been awkward.

6 hours ago, Tina288 said:

Despite for having strong development romance with jang Uk, it would change a lot when she shifted her body. I think her feelings wouldn’t change but I think it will affect jang uk. It is just very different identity. I may have to suffer to watch the romance grow in different naksu in her own body am when we would mourn for mudeok/naksu/buyeon and even jung somin. She really nailed her part in three characters in Mudeok’s, and not to forget her chemistry with Lee jae wook. It was growing so much. 

My reasoning for that is the separation of naksu and jin buyeon in Mudeok’s body would affect jang uk. Buyeon’s sacrifice may hurt him. Most of you may think that mudeok is completely Naksu’s soul and memories. And mudeok is a vessel. I am actually missing out the story of Naksu’s destiny and why jang gang is looking for her. Naksu is also the key to all of these things. I sometimes think mudeok has bits of buyeon and more naksu. Buyeon since birth May have same fate as jin seol- ran, and jang uk same as the founder of songrim. I think jin seol-ran either disappear or sacrificed herself. She may be the ice stone. That is why the poem wasn’t able to reach her. I think buyeon’s destiny is jang UK’s love and partnership. I think it is one of the reason that naksu began to have shared feelings with buyeon for jang uk. That is my belief but I think buyeon also have something to contribute to jang UK’s growth. 

I totally agree with your reasoning. We can go on and on about how the soul or the essence defines the whole of the person and so on but in reality, we would need time to get used to someone's new look after getting plastic surgery much less a new body/form altogether. To demonstrate my point, imagine in Mr Queen, were the chef was able to return to his body after all and bring the King to the future and told him it was him all along, wouldn't it look totally unrealistic if the King were to accept it right away? Granted in AoS case, soul shifter is somewhat physically equivalent and they don't have to contend with different timeline.

Anyway it depends a lot on drama decision whether to inject some realism or go the other way. That said, from a lot of comments I've seen, people are seemed to be divided over MD/JBY-Uk vs Naksu/Cho Yeong-Uk. But who knows maybe MD/JBY/Naksu/Cho Yeong are all conveniently the same person after all..

6 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I don't think we have enough of Buyeon's actual personality at this point (ep 15) to make much of her? Perhaps she will be absorbed into Mudeok/Naksu. I wouldn't expect her to want to return to her mother after seeing how the woman treats everyone she is related to (including Mudeok). I just feel like if she was going to be a significant character on her own, we would have seen her actual personality and personal action more in the plot by now.

Totally agree here. With still so many plotlines, I just don't see JBY's character being expositioned at all.  Just feel sad for her being reduced to a deux ex machina to save our OTP skin. Why use an actual person at all and then who was portrayed to be blind, shown to be someone who's not supposed to be born anyway, whose existence will ultimately be sacrificed to save the world and who lived most of her life as a beggar on the streets? It could have well been an object itself. Will be very happy to be proven wrong here by the drama.

5 hours ago, iamsherry said:

There’s a minute left before end of episode, so much time for cliffhanger kiss and tvn gave us what? :rolleyes: to :rolleyes:

Yeah this drama does spend quite a lot of screen time in repeated scenes in flashback and staring at one another. Whenever I smell a stare scene coming, I've been skipping 10 seconds ahead..

• Like 7

Finally plot is moving, but how will they tie up everything by ep 20 (assuming part 2 is spin off) ? So Yi's preparation to pretend as Bu Yeon has been given too much screentime, but in a matter of few seconds her existence has been revealed to Songrim and everyone is suspicious of her. If they are going to kill her even before she enters the Jinyowon household or soon after she enters, then that is a lot of wasted time. Uk being a destined guy is all okay, but he isn't stronger than Yul or more powerful than Park Jin or Master Lee, so how are they going to further develop him as the equal of the founder of Songrim? Dang Gu and Jin Cho Yeon are cute, but I'm disappointed in them not being involved in the big secret and are mostly sidelined to fillers. I also like the friendly quarrel between Mu Deok and Cho Yeon which is like sister bonding time. Heo Yoon Ok's chemistry with Uk is sizzling on the other hand the initial chemistry between Mu Deok/Naksu and Uk completely vanished. I felt nothing for their confession scene at the end of ep 15. I won't be continuing season 2 if they are going to unfold the story in the same draggy manner after ep 10 to ep 14. This drama could have been great with the whole story fit in 20 episodes or less becaue the fictional universe was rich with story and characters.

• Like 5

I think shaman choi comes from the beginning of the story when jang gang prevented her son from getting her energy and others as well. He ended her son’s life and her line of descendants. I think that was the time around she decided to start her revenge. 

i also recognised that the voice of mudeok changed to GYJ instead of jung somin (JSM). It is beginning to show that Naksu’s skill is needed to protect jang uk as much as possible. Also her own body, which is ice stone. Naksu needed to protect ice stone in Mudeok’s body and jang UK’s destiny. Now what does master Lee can tell us buyeon? Does he know her? 

Everyone has many many many theories that naksu is actually jin Buyeon but who is residing in mudeok body- a soul who directed Mudeok’s body before she met naksu. Everyone is getting confused because of the changing the leads. I wish there is no need to change identity. I think it come from the real life production problem- jung somin wasn’t the first choice. She came after the actress decided to leave. There was a lot of problem that they wasted a big budget, and had to refilm again with jung somin to take over. And I believe they didn’t expect a strong lead from jung somin and her chemistry with Jang Uk. I think they expect GHJ to fulfil the missing part the first actress left. Also jung somin just became free agent and eventually joined new contract with another agency. There is some delay going on in that timing. And it was a total last minute for jung somin herself to take into a lead role. Probably that was why she wasn’t considered to be part of season 2 when she had to fully settled with her agency. I think they expect her to do temporary fix in season one. I think hiatus is probably they had to film again to strengthen somin’s role and more stories about buyeon before we get into season 2 with naksu. Buyeon’s story is still lacklustre because the timing is not right because I believe buyeon can reveal herself when everyone is ready like master Lee asked for the sword from the crown prince to return it to naksu. He already taught jang hk to get chisu. He is preparing jang uk to get hwansu. And I know he will teach naksu to develop hwansu from buyeon before she do alchemy of souls to return to her body. So she doesn’t have to rely on ice stone. However they need to save Daeho. That is the best time for buyeon to appear. She needs protection even though. But together with jang Uk, she can do it more. Buyeon May not want to reveal to her family which blows her plans to meet with jang uk to save daeho. I think jin Buyeon is an ice stone or jin seol- ran. Master Lee May be founder of song rim. He has been looking for her ever since she disappeared. That is probably how they use jung somin. Then she ends there as jin seol ran. I wonder how the writer will change or have plans for jung somin. I don’t think they plan to have strong romance between jae wook and somin, and they probably save it for GYJ. 

i think the writer should make a good role for Jin buyeon to also be a heroine along with naksu. Naksu can show her well rounded skills, and jin buyeon to show her innate power, her heart, her compassion, and intelligence too. She can be a heroine with a disability for being blind. It would create a nice balance with Naksu and Jang uk. I think buyeon can do so much more for the story and transiting to new one. I hope they can resolve the ice stone that stuck in jin buyeon’s body so she can live. I think she is going to be fine one. She left the life of luxury to hide and live and grow. Then come back stronger. 

i think jin buyeon decided to to return back home in hidden identity because it is time. She was given a gift of foresight and psychic power that jang Uk needs her. Daeho is falling apart and needs her too. That is why she risked her life to head back. I also thought she expects to find Naksu by feeling her energy. 

Edited by Tina288

i think its the 3 elements.. air (bu yeon) water (naksu) and land (jang uk).. but teacher lee mentioned something about 7.. when he spoke to the king about the resurfacing of ice stone and the king star.. ( @LeftCoastOppa chingu u remember details best.. was it 7?)

so its going to be a “lets our power combined!” captain planet or power rangers showdown?

22 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

i think its the 3 elements.. air (bu yeon) water (naksu) and land (jang uk).. but teacher lee mentioned something about 7.. when he spoke to the king about the resurfacing of ice stone and the king star.. ( @LeftCoastOppa chingu u remember details best.. was it 7?)

so its going to be a “lets our power combined!” captain planet or power rangers showdown?

7 stars 

jang Uk - king star- that shines the most- land/earth. And also winter.  

buyeon - ice stone - sky 

naksu - not so sure but she can represent cheongbawan because of her father. - water/lake 

dang gu (songrim) - summer 

Seo yul (saeho fortress) - autumn 

cho yeon (jinowryn) - spring 

Jang Uk/crown prince / naksu whose father also part of (cheongbawan) - winter 

** crown prince is also a mage trained in cheongbawan. 

Edited by Tina288

3 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

@kwayteow_mama totally love the “i stick my saliva on you, now you’re mine” kind of gesture lol marking territory

Yes, Jang Uk please reply like a grown man and show our girl here how proper saliva territory marking should be done :lol:

:4267_LiccGif:

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote gifs. Thanks!
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, Tina288 said:

I think shaman choi comes from the beginning of the story when jang gang prevented her son from getting her energy and others as well. He ended her son’s life and her line of descendants. I think that was the time around she decided to start her revenge. 

Ohhhh that's Shaman Choi?? I have been wondering what I missed, since every mention of Shaman Choi seems to indicate we know this person, and I'm like, er, no? That makes more sense now!

• Like 1