[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

Just finished watching tonight's episode! I love it!  <3 <3 <3

We got to see Yul's sword skills. Crown Prince and Jang Uk moments - that was hilarious but I was entertained. I think for all those shippers of them. Fanservice for you there! LOL

Finally! More romantic scenes from Wookie Dookie! Love it!

Next week's episode would be more interesting! 

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

The difference between Yul and Uk

Yul - ''its our duty to protect this world from such monsters.''

Uk - '' We can also protect the monsters from this world''.

I assume Yul is still battling himself. 

The scene when Uk jumped off the high cliff was so powerful.

And then he saw for the first time how powerful Naksu/MD was.  

:wub:

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

10 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

The difference between Yul and Uk

I assume Yul is still battling himself. 

The scene when Uk jumped off the high cliff was so powerful.

And then he saw for the first time how powerful Naksu/MD was.  

:wub:

When mudeok was touching the head of the soul shifter: I think it is buyeon’s power more than just naksu. I do think uK was witnessing buyeon and ice stone power in Mudeok’s body. He doesn’t know about buyeon. Neither does naksu. It is mysterious new power naksu received in Mudeok’s body without know anything about buyeon and ice stone.  

Edited by Tina288

10 hours ago, partyon said:

Yes, but that's the lowest rating this drama has gotten so far. First time under 5% actually.

I don't think Alchemy of Souls has any big competition in its time slot either?

Let's see if the ratings next week will fall even further on Saturday when Big Mouth starts airing on MBC. Lee Jong Suk and Yoona might prove fierce competition for this drama on Saturdays from now on.

Yeah like someone said it was the last episode of Why her so maybe that is why. but I agree we will just have to wait and see.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

14 minutes ago, Tina288 said:

I do think uK was witnessing buyeon and ice stone power in Mudeok’s body. He doesn’t know about buyeon. 

Agree..it was Buyeon..  

I loved

- when Mudeok uttered ''dont go'' quietly. 

- the ''its warm'' hug

- the strong and protective hug at the end of the episode

they went through all the crisis together..   :approves:

• Like 3

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Lee Jae Wook And Jung So Min Find Themselves In A Harrowing Situation In “Alchemy Of Souls”

tvN’s “Alchemy of Souls” has revealed new stills from tonight’s episode!

Penned by the famous screenwriting duo known as the Hong Sisters, “Alchemy of Souls” is a fantasy romance drama set in the fictional nation of Daeho, a country that does not exist in history or on maps. The drama tells the story of characters whose fates become twisted due to magic that swaps people’s souls.

Spoilers

Previously, it was revealed that lieutenant governor Jin Mu (Jo Jae Yoon) had a wicked scheme to take over the nation of Daeho using the phenomenon of hwanhonsul, which swaps people’s souls. In the new stills, Jang Wook (Lee Jae Wook) and Mu Deok (Jung So Min) hide nearby, wearing grave expressions on their faces as if they have just witnessed something unspeakable.

The situation only gets more intense as the pair come face-to-face with Jin Mu, who is one second away from drawing his sword. He is willing to kill if it means protecting his secret, which means that Jang Wook and Mu Deok now find themselves in imminent danger. They stand frozen in front of him as they come to terms with their perilous situation. Will the pair be able to escape this encounter unharmed?

Lee-Jae-Wook-Jung-So-Min-3-768x512.jpg

Jo-Jae-Yoon-768x512.jpg

Spoiler

Lee-Jae-Wook-Jung-So-Min-1-2-768x512.jpg

The drama’s producers commented, “Jang Wook and Mu Deok will meet the man of the royal family who is out of control. Keep an eye out for tonight’s episode, as its developments will leave you unable to take your eyes off the screen.”

The next episode of “Alchemy of Souls” will air on July 24 at 9:10 p.m. KST.

Lee Jae Wook And Jung So Min Find Themselves In A Harrowing Situation In “Alchemy Of Souls” | Soompi

• Like 3

Woah!! Yul was amazing today, I was cheering for him during the fights, haha!! :hwaiting:

And the main couple getting in trouble together. I liked to see them doing things together but it was so nerve wracking, haha!! :lol: I bet Bu Yeong took control when the soul shifter was attacking her, and I don't think Mu Deok is running wild. But it's time already for them to start looking for the ice stone, so they can protect Naksu's soul. Uk has already all the information and he should be able to realize that the palace is suspicious and start investigating.

Anyway, I loved that last hug, and even more the first hug from Uk, he's really sweet. Naksu will not be able to stay cold much longer... :fullofhearts:

• Like 4

Wow. Today's episode left me with a lot to think about. 

--CP Won is funny. Please, writers, let him end up on the good side in the end! I want to see him hanging out with his Songrim buddies. Also, there is a spare female wandering around who seems nice enough, maybe get to know her? She was last seen waiting endlessly in Uk's rooms.

--Uk vs. Yul: 

Ah, I loved this. It clearly shows which path each has chosen. Yul is an upright mage who is trying his hardest to be a moral person. But somehow Uk gets to the true heart of the matter. They both care a lot about Mudeok/Naksu. And both are protecting her secret in their own way. But Uk...gets it on a whole different level.

--Whoever said that the queen was playing host to a soul shifter was right! Only...I don't know who Shaman Choi is, should I? (This is the thing in this drama--you never know who is behind the face.)

--Chemistry is on fire. (I feel sad that not everyone here feels that, but hey, there are some wildly loved dramas where I just felt...nothing. It happens.) For me, though, they are 100% nailing it. One of these days, Mudeok is going to finally crack and accept Uk's feelings, and that's going to be incredibly satisfying. I feel bad for her. She's been so used over her life that no wonder she has trust issues and can't fully believe that yes, she is the one that Uk likes. I feel that everyone has treated her and accepted her really well. But I'm scared now after seeing the preview. If everyone turns on her, it's going to kill those little buds of hope and trust in other people. But as long as Uk sticks around...there is at least that. 

--Awesome move with Uk taking a literal leap of faith at the end. 

--As for the very ending--well, you could say self defense in some senses, since it was eat or be eaten. I don't see anything in the scene to indicate someone else other than Naksu was sucking the energy, but there are so many people/entities inside that body that who knows who was really doing that action at this point? I just know that if everyone else turns on Naksu, it looks like Uk won't. 

I'm enjoying the acting. Uk isn't someone I looked at and thought, oh, I totally relate. But the character has really grown on me. I think the actor is doing a good job of showing a guy who starts out clueless and then starts to learn and grow. His heart is in the right place but he's still putting his foot in his mouth sometimes. So I think the actor is doing a good job showing that mix of good heart/unrefined person. And I always love Jung So Min's acting. Naksu is a very stiff person due to her background, but JSM is doing a good job of showing that there are a lot of pent-up feelings behind that stiff facade. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Here is the ratings for Episode 12! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Cleaning Up” Ends On Its Highest Ratings Yet As “Alchemy Of Souls” Soars To New All-Time High

Meanwhile, after dropping to a new all-time low the night before, “Alchemy of Souls” climbed to its highest viewership ratings to date last night. The latest episode of the fantasy romance drama took first place in its time slot across all cable channels with an average nationwide rating of 7.1 percent—a new personal record for the series.

“Cleaning Up” Ends On Its Highest Ratings Yet As “Alchemy Of Souls” Soars To New All-Time High | Soompi

• Like 5

Now that was a juicy episode.

I don't think naksu was actually running wild, yet. What seems like her absorbing life, to me it looks more like a subsconcious self defense (buyeon's or ice stone's power could be at play). Similar to what happen during janguk's soul shifting. Mudeok's power and existence itself is still a wild card at this point, and i think they purposely do that to leave it as the deux ex machina. Cheap, but convenient.

If our prediction was right, buyeon would have at least one or more confirmed resurfacing, where people actually find out who she is. Otherwise, her (predicted) death would have less impact to the characters (while being too tragic for us viewers) and i don't think, judging by the drama tone and trajectory so far, they would really go down that path.

And the janguk that i like is back now, instead of whining and sulking, him being cheeky and playful is what makes his character really shines. Tracing back his motivations, the turning point really was when naksu asks him to bring her to the top of the big tree. He was so smitten he's willing to do everything for her. So he was devastated when he thought his feeling was unrequited. It was a childish move to sulk and refuse to train, not only because he knows that he got someone else life on the line but also because he was hindering his own progress. But then, it was a lovely moment when he heard kim do joo saying that he would be loved no matter what he chose to do. I think it really downs to warmth; he really appreciate people who appreciates him, to the extent that he would sacrifice himself for them.

The last scene was my favorite from ep 12, i think it marks a turning point where now its no longer going to be rainbows and butterflies. Naksu was seeing her fears of running wild flashed before her eyes. Janguk was seeing the very possible reality that the woman that he adores could actually perish. We have seen them hug a lot of times and all of them were lovely. And i really commend the actors to be able to deliver lots of different level of intimacy from each one of those.

Anyway sorry for the long essay, i guess i'm just glad things are finally picking up. And it's just sort of like a mental dump before i start off moday, otherwise i will keep thinking about it all day instead of working lol. Happy monday everyone! Or not...

Edited by SleepyKitty

I think this time around will be emerging character of buyeon to be revealed soon. Buyeon’s power is beginning to take control. Dangers are getting worse that forced buyeon to reveal her power. 

By the way, I think ice stone is in Mudeok’s body. They do not need to look for one. Ice stone is in the queen, mudeok, and jang gang. There is possibility jang gang is hiding in another body or he went afar to look for buyeon. Seems like he already know buyeon’s fate and is looking for her to save jang uk. 

naksu will reveal her power if she is in the lake. 

I see stronger chemistry between uk and mudeok. And Naksu’s soul is opening up to Uk. And we see Yul wanting to get naksu to himself. So he’ll try to break them apart. He would make excuses but he didn’t realise that mudeok has ice stone inside. I hope mudeok is immune since she is ice stone and has buyeon inside.

master Lee actually revealed the rumor, but he didn’t get to the part with buyeon so it is half baked rumour that caused a big trouble in songrim.

I think buyeon will emerge when Jin Miu introduces the fake Buyeon. Not sure if he can give power to fake buyeon to open the door. He could make excuse that she lost power and is weak. And use to stall the timing. Naksu in Mudeok’s body can still open the door anytime. 

We saw that mudeok covered her eyes to hide her blue eyes, I think jin miu will immediately know or guess buyeon is in Mudeok’s body. Everyone else know naksu is in mudeok body. Jin Miu May be the only to think that buyeon is in the body.

more danger to come- the closer they are, the more powerful mudeok becomes and Uk’s magic will become developed to the full extent. They are closer to their destiny. 

Now we know the queen is soul shifter with body of shaman of choi family. The real queen soul’s still in the body. The real queen is ice stone that she still performs the ice stone even with shaman Choi’s soul. It is also said that the soul can shift. Eunuch said he can visit or bring out the real queen’s soul. So it explains that sometimes we see buyeon coming in and out mostly in danger to protect uk or naksu or Mudeok’s body which is an ice stone too. I think buyeon chooses to hide. If it is revealed that buyeon’s in mudeok body, she is putting uk, naksu, and ice stone in danger.  

anyway, it is really interesting. I was holding my breath at the end. Darn I have to wait for another week!! It gets better but I am hoping for more uk- Mudeok’s chemistry. It wasn’t enough. And it getting into my nerves. 

The yin and Yang jade that brought the king and uK together made me laugh so much. How annoyed they are when they feel the heart beat. I think how it works is the king put power to jade to wonder what it is, and who has it. And it awoke. And it draws him to jang uk. Also it is like gps to find the king or uk when they go missing. Or anyone who holds them. It is very interesting. 

Edited by Tina288

3 hours ago, frozentundra said:

--Uk vs. Yul: 

Ah, I loved this. It clearly shows which path each has chosen. Yul is an upright mage who is trying his hardest to be a moral person. But somehow Uk gets to the true heart of the matter. They both care a lot about Mudeok/Naksu. And both are protecting her secret in their own way. But Uk...gets it on a whole different level.

What????

Uk gets it on a whole another level??? No ma'am! This just shows that boy still have yet to mature and is easily deceived. He doesn't get the heart of the matter, for that matter, the heart is deceitful. I said it from the beginning, he will get everybody around him killed for his own selfish ambition and agenda and he has not showed any difference one iota. He thinks just because he saves one person he is Jesus Christ. No! He doesn't get Jack Squat and every attempt the writer gets to make him noble, makes him look even more stupid! If there was any justice in the world, they'll kill him off before season 2! Yul cares about Naksu and everyone else but UK cares about Naksu because what she promised him. A person that's deceived cannot get to the true heart or mind of nothing but what they have been deceived to believe. 

• Like 1

i don’t quite understand how shaman choi’s soul is able to reside in the queen’s body when her soul is still inside.. precedent case of soul shifting like Naksu in Bu Yeon’s body?

Crown Prince and Jang Uk running towards the source of the pulling force of the Yin Yang jades is so hilarious.. i think they need to loan them to Park Jin and Maidservant Kim first.. lol

the last part, when Mu Deok’s finger touched the pensieve and the stars appear without a constellation plate, what is that going to mean?

• Blob 3

3 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

i don’t quite understand how shaman choi’s soul is able to reside in the queen’s body when her soul is still inside.. precedent case of soul shifting like Naksu in Bu Yeon’s body?

Crown Prince and Jang Uk running towards the source of the pulling force of the Yin Yang jades is so hilarious.. i think they need to loan them to Park Jin and Maidservant Kim first.. lol

the last part, when Mu Deok’s finger touched the pensieve and the stars appear without a constellation plate, what is that going to mean?

First of all, shaman choi and assistant Gwangju jin miu made the plan to pull down songrim. First of all, the choi family was fallen family because of songrim. Jin miu is male shaman of jin family but illegitimate. That is probably the reason they both of shaman background and connection to bring down songrim. I think jin miu knows the queen has ice stone in her body. He performed alchemy of souls for shaman choi into the queen’s body. I think the queen like buyeon/mudeok have ability to stay in the body. But the queen may not be as powerful like buyeon. She is just an ice stone maybe. However, we don’t know about the queen’s real identity. Maybe she allowed shaman choi to enter into her body.  And yes, quite similar to what happened to mudeok/buyeon with Naksu’s soul. Mudeok, the queen, founder of songrim, jang gang- I believed has ice stone. Jin miu- gets it from the queen. 

when mudeok touched water- I think Naksu’s energy comes from water. Also it may awaken Naksu’s power and her innate magic that deals with constellation since she is daughter of cho chung. However, it also could awaken buyeon. That could be a reason mudeok has to cover her eyes. It could be reason to cover blue eyes or temporary blindness from buyeon. Buyeon’s power mixed with ice stone makes her very powerful. Maybe naksu and buyeon both awaken the ice stone on jang uk when he hugged Mudeok. I think the love is the key that awaken jang uk’s ice stone and power. Jang uk could also be a real danju like the founder of songrim. That will be the time jang uk will become very powerful. And mudeok who has naksu and buyeon soul have become a key to jang UK’s magic, and also become more powerful. 

i wonder the timing of emerging jin buyeon in the timeline. 

4 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

Oh, I didnt notice that...thanks...

Uk looked kind of sexy in this scene..    :wub: :D

• Like 4

I still enjoy every bit of the drama, but I'm getting impatient with the fillers because there is so much stuff to explore, given the fact that they had exciting scenes like Yul's double handed sword fight and secretly mastering Chinsu, the revealation of Queen's soul switch, Jin Mu locking Uk in a cliff and Mu Deok absorbing/locking the energy from the enunch. I do not see why we have to see another Uk and CP duel with Mu Deok as bet. Totally unnecessary because they could spend that time in exploring Bu Yeon because she is the character that I am currently invested in. Park Jin's wit in leading and protecting Songrim more than makes up for his naivety when it comes to matters of the heart. He was quick to catch the foul play in the mage's death. This comes across in contrast to Uk, who is portrayed to be sly and kind, but I guess meaning sly doesn't mean he is clever. After hearing Naksu's story, I wonder why there is no scene of him questioning her job under Jin Mu. This could be crucial in unconvering Jin Mu's evil schemes and getting the revenge that Naksu wanted. Also, why isn't Uk never thinking of the original soul that Naksu has replaced? Even the self righteous Yul isn't looking for that lost soul or doing background check on Mudeok. Are the writers/directors intentionally overlooking these plot points so that Uk does not need to face the conflict of who he actually loves? Then again, I noticed that everytime he is determined to overcome a struggle or learns new skills he addresses Mu Deok as Master, but it is also the only time. 

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1