[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

I love how DG and CY are strengthening their relationship.

The magic show is a clear reason for them to be together.    :D

Uk found the words of love in that ordinary piece of paper and he didnt hesitate.

He gave his answer.     :approves:

FX4VAGWXoAA_ely?format=jpg&name=360x360

FX4VAGWXwAEck_S?format=jpg&name=360x360

Uk read the poem so smoothly...nice...

• Like 9

Omomo the preview for episode 11 got me SQUEALING!!!! Are we finally getting the ROMANTIC SCENES?! im screaming yall, we are finally getting romantic scenes between Mu Deok and Jang Wook!!

Okay but the exam trio is something I never thought we needed but they are HILARIOUS!! I love the fact that all three of them were willing to cheat to let Mu Deok pass the exam stage :loolz: and the way Seo Yul and Dang Gu looked at Crown Prince to deliver the exam paper was PRICELESS! They are definitely adorable all together. All three of them were rooting for Mu Deok!

Speaking of Mu Deok, even though she got some help with the exam, I’m glad that the drama showed her passing every round through her own strength and without the help of anyone else. I was kinda thinking for the fitness stage, the exam trio would help her but she did it on her own!!! I’m so proud of Mu Deok! All of this to get into Songrim and be with Jang Wook :please: Also Jang Wook managing to figure out the love letter too.

The scene where Mu Deok ran to see Jang Wook when he snuck out was super adorable and you can just see how much they care for one another. I was squealing while watching Mu Deok and Jang Wook in the boat scene. Man this drama just keeps getting better and better. The wait is slowly becoming hard for the drama.. I want episode 11 ASAP!! I. Need. My. Ship. To. SAILL!!!!! I’m kinda worried though because I’m not sure if Mu Deok/Naksu would accept Jang Wook. Just because of her situation and once she gets her powers back, she might separate from Jang Wook. Honestly knowing Jang Wook though, he probably won’t let go of her that easily. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, K-dramafan22 said:

Ah I see....so he is simply naive, unexposed and still finding out about the world including respect for people I guess. kekeke  :lollipop:

You can go ahead and say he's dumb and insensitive, yes. :D But I have hopes that someday...he will be more clueful. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Lee Jae Wook And Jung So Min’s Relationship Nears A Tipping Point In “Alchemy Of Souls”

tvN’s “Alchemy of Souls” has released new stills from tonight’s episode!

Penned by the famous screenwriting duo known as the Hong Sisters, “Alchemy of Souls” is a tvN fantasy romance drama set in the fictional nation of Daeho, a country that does not exist in history or on maps. The drama tells the story of characters whose fates become twisted due to magic that swaps people’s souls.

Spoilers

Previously, Jang Wook (Lee Jae Wook) entered Songrim’s learning institution Jeongjingak, while his teacher Mu Deok (Jung So Min) was unable to join him. Their parting of ways evoked pity from viewers, as they had been together through thick and thin without leaving each other’s side for even a moment. While apart, the other’s absence left a deep mark on both of them, and viewers earnestly hoped for their reunion.

New stills reveal a sort of uncanny atmosphere between the teacher and her pupil as they meet after dark. Jang Wook keeps his eyes glued on Mu Deok, as if he is unable to tear his gaze away. His feelings for her appear to have grown even deeper, and Mu Deok is taken aback by his intense gaze. She holds something in her hand, although it is secondary to the lingering tension hanging around the pair. Will they progress beyond their relationship as teacher and student?

Lee-Jae-Wook-Jung-So-Min-1-768x512.jpg

Lee-Jae-Wook-5-768x512.jpg

Spoiler

Jung-So-Min-4-768x512.jpg

The drama’s production team commented, “Jang Wook’s feelings for Mu Deok are beginning in earnest. As Jang Wook has come to a realization of his own feelings, his straightforward approach is certain to make hearts pound. This will also result in a big change in their relationship, so please look forward to tonight’s episode.”

This episode of “Alchemy of Souls” airs on July 17 at 9:10 p.m. KST.

Lee Jae Wook And Jung So Min’s Relationship Nears A Tipping Point In “Alchemy Of Souls” | Soompi

• Like 7

Okay, now I'm done with ep 10. Hahaha on the three bros and the test! I thought the crown prince would be a one dimensional character at first, but I like what they've done with him. The dude just wants friends, okay? He wants to go hang out with the cool kids. I don't think he's bursting with brains, though, so I hope he can manage to evade whatever the queen and her creepy henchman have in mind for him. 

So Mudeok is not terribly physically fit, but compared to how she was in the beginning, surely she is stronger now. I mean...all that bathwater she had to haul for Uk surely built some muscle? They're trying to show her working hard against obstacles to get what she wants. So of course they're going to show that it isn't easy to finish that race. But the fact is, she DID. And I don't think she could have done that when she first jumped into that body. Instead of thinking, she's so weak--I'm thinking more on the lines of, look what she's managed to accomplish so far with what she's got.

I could do without a new love triangle every week, but I do watch dramas for the human connection more than for ooh, nifty worldbuilding! It doesn't have to be romance, but that or any other kind of real human connection makes it more meaningful IMO. So while some of the excessive love triangles are over the top, other things shine for me. The crown prince trying to join the Songrim friend group (and them letting him in!) made me smile. Uk, who's always been told no, been limited and told that everything he wants is impossible, finding ways to make his dreams happen. Naksu, who has always been a tool for someone but never valued for herself, trying to grapple with the idea that someone could simply like her for herself--not as a master, not as a servant, but just herself. There needs to be a plot--there are mysteries to solve, bad guys to overcome, etc. It's hard to have a drama without those things going on. But under it all is the story of humans confronting their own weaknesses, learning to be the best versions of themselves, and learning to make connections with others as well. Those are some of the things I'm enjoying about this drama.

• Like 9
  • Awesome 1

"It is written here: I will go this far just to see you"  Wow, that last scene was so romantic and heart fluttering!  :wub: Naksu must have been so surprised that he was so straightforward about what's going on between them...Anyway, I like that they are taking their time in showing how the romance is progressing, and it's clear that Naksu will be reluctant to give in, at least for a while. But I don't mind to wait more because their interactions are gold.

As for the rest of things happening, the servant contest was super fun. And Maid Kim scenes are so funny too...Master Lee seems to be smitten with her (I bet he'll be sporting that red scarf at all times), and I hope Park Jin catches wind of this and gets jealous.

Well, as much as I enjoy when the drama focus on romance, I hope that next week we will have more action. Uk wants to become the next Gwanju and maybe will end up king. But it's not clear which are Naksu's plans...I guess she wants Uk to help her to restore her power and later will look for the people responsible for the death of her family. But it would be nice to be reminded of that and see some progress, so it doesn't feel that Naksu forgot about her goals...By the way, Maid Kim said that Jang Gang's books were in Uk's room, maybe he wrote something about the ice stone and the alchemy of souls?

• Like 8
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, frozentundra said:

I could do without a new love triangle every week, but I do watch dramas for the human connection more than for ooh, nifty worldbuilding! It doesn't have to be romance, but that or any other kind of real human connection makes it more meaningful IMO.

Well said, I was taken aback when I saw alot of complaints about the romance in this episode, but its the 10th episode guys. We've had maybe 1 and a half episodes so far that paid this much focus to matters of the heart so other than the excessive amount of love triangles I don't have an issue with it. 

6 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

well, at least its revealed that the image was actually..

Spoiler
6 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

Songrim founder Seo and the woman he loved, who is also blind and from Jinyowon..

not Jang Uk and Mu Deok..

Spoiler

Are you sure?  In the scene where the two figures appear in the mist, the Songrim founder is the mage holding the Ice Stone as its streaming the mist - You see his expression change as he suddenly sees the two figures standing there - Unless he was foreseeing the future (something we haven't been shown the Ice Stone can do) I don't think thats the founder standing in the mist... not yet at least :rolleyes:

On a darker note, now that the writer/PD has us invested in a multitude of characters, when the battle is finally engaged, who do you think will die among our hero's?   As much as I would like to see it, I don't think everyone makes it to episode 30 unscathed ... and I'm not just talking about Mu-Deok/actress switch out. 

What do you think? Time for a death poll?

• Like 6

Here is the ratings for Episode 10! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Alchemy Of Souls” And “It’s Beautiful Now” Both Soar To Their Highest Ratings Yet

Two dramas hit new all-time highs in viewership last night!

On July 17, tvN’s “Alchemy of Souls” earned the highest viewership ratings of its run to date. According to Nielsen Korea, the fantasy romance drama climbed to an average nationwide rating of 7.0 percent for its 10th episode, taking first place in its time slot across all cable channels and setting a new personal record for the show.

“Alchemy of Souls” also remained first place in its time slot among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 3.8 percent for the night.

“Alchemy Of Souls” And “It’s Beautiful Now” Both Soar To Their Highest Ratings Yet | Soompi

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, ferily said:

Speaking of Mu Deok, even though she got some help with the exam, I’m glad that the drama showed her passing every round through her own strength and without the help of anyone else. 

i was hoping there is an epilogue showing, Mu Deok solving the sums herself and not using the cheat sheet at all.. then again, Naksu probably didn't get to go school like the rest so algebra might be a challenge..

at least working as Jang Uk's servant has her strengthening up Mu Deok's weak body a little.. to be able to run from the market back to Jang residence to the bridge.. without collapsing with leg cramps like she did last time lol

the real Mu Deok (Bu Yeon) will be crying when she takes over her body.. now SHE GROWS MUSCLES!! ok that was meant to be a lame joke..

:sweats:

3 hours ago, Vega Lyra said:

Master Lee seems to be smitten with her (I bet he'll be sporting that red scarf at all times)

guess what, Heo Yeom is always witnessing such awkward situations.. lol

2 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Hide contents

Are you sure?  In the scene where the two figures appear in the mist, the Songrim founder is the mage holding the Ice Stone as its streaming the mist - You see his expression change as he suddenly sees the two figures standing there - Unless he was foreseeing the future (something we haven't been shown the Ice Stone can do) I don't think thats the founder standing in the mist... not yet at least :rolleyes:

true selfless love will be able to destroy the ice stone..

ok i put 2 cats instead of 1 this time..

6911c5c878d20482a86a37d6666c725e.gif

cr.: owner

2 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

What do you think? Time for a death poll?

first victim down is likely Cho Yeon's dad..

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

@sadthe1stCats and ice! Cats and ice! :D 

If the two figures in the mist are the founder of Songrim and a Jin forebear, then basically it's Uk and Mudeok symbolically anyway, right? 

In other thoughts, my heart broke a little for Naksu at the beginning of ep 10 when Maidservant Kim was rhapsodizing about the bird in the egg being an elegant egret. And then Naksu looked up and asked, what if it's not? What if it's a screaming eagle, instead? Poor Naksu, seriously. She has been used since she was small, and this is literally the first time in her life when people treat her as a person. Uk, yes, certainly (plus points for knowing who she is and liking her for herself). But also the others. Maidservant Kim treats her like the servant she is, but also as a part of the Jang household. The crown prince and Yul and er, their blond friend, forget his name (Danggu?) are all Team Mudeoki. Of course people expect her to do her job, but aside from that, at the moment no one is using her for nefarious purposes. They just...like her. And that is so foreign to her that she doesn't even know how to process it. And I'm sure she's terrified what will happen if/when people find out who she really is.

She needs to learn to love herself so she can accept love from other people, you know? I really hope to see that arc for her. Yes, she needs to get her powers back and be strong. But strong is not a characteristic that is limited to magic spells or action moves. Strong is knowing who you are, and being comfortable with that. Strong is loving yourself so you can love others. So much bad has happened to her; I want to see her healed not just in magical terms, but in filling in the holes and hurts from the past, too.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

Yes, she needs to get her powers back and be strong. But strong is not a characteristic that is limited to magic spells or action moves.

i need her to be back with her powers so that she can join forces with songrim mages and deal with Jin Mu and the queen, like a pro!!

her glorious days where she can create rain and snow need to come really soon!!

original.gif

ok not lightning like the gif.. but you know what i mean lol

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, sadthe1st said:

guess what, Heo Yeom is always witnessing such awkward situations.. lol

Heo Yeom, Song Rim resident doctor and 月老 matchmaker :blush:

I think Master Seo Gyeong is a real clown for not wasting an invisible love letter to train his mages

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I have so much to catch up on!!! Haha.:D But before I backread, allow me to share my thoughts on the episodes this weekend. 

Episodes 9 and 10 all but confirmed that Mudeok is really the missing Bu Yeon. Jin Mu thought she had died, but since her power was to detect energy... it seems the ice stone made it possible for her to survive, by lodging some of its energy inside her?

Why, oh why will you involve Yul with that scammer So I? But I suppose it's a ploy to keep him out of Mudeok's orbit from time to time. Or he could be instrumental in revealing that So I is just an impostor.

I live for the Crown Prince being petty towards Uk. Their passive-aggressive interactions are a hoot!:sweat_smile: Please do not let him fall under the influence of Jin Mu and his evil mother. It was fun seeing him hang-out with Yul and Danggu to help Mudeok in the servant test though. The guy just needs friends, really.

Yun Ok is actually nice. Even more tolerable than So I. Can she and the Prince cross paths at Sejukwon for once?

I love how the secondary 'ships had their moments in today's episode. And I mean those not involving Mudeok and Uk. 

Danggu, my best boy, finally getting to spend some time with Cho Yeon. Nevermind if it's because of a fake relationship trope. They are just simply adorable!

We're not out of the woods yet. In a 20-episode drama, the storyline always plateaus around Episode 13 and 14. The angst is yet to come, chingus!:(

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, frozentundra said:

She needs to learn to love herself so she can accept love from other people, you know? I really hope to see that arc for her. Yes, she needs to get her powers back and be strong. But strong is not a characteristic that is limited to magic spells or action moves. Strong is knowing who you are, and being comfortable with that. Strong is loving yourself so you can love others. So much bad has happened to her; I want to see her healed not just in magical terms, but in filling in the holes and hurts from the past, too.

*ducking eggs*

I'm actually for angst badass Naksu, that's the charm of her character :lol: What fun is there if Naksu turn into Bloody Heart Queen Yoo Jeong/ Red Sleeve Deok-im kind of character.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Many here are frustrated with this week episodes. :onfirex:
Many kept babbling about scenes that routing to love triangle angle (yes we had a fillers episodes this week), though some scenes  seems unnecessary but it is necessary. The sequences are still coherent to one another. (New characters doesn’t pop up out of nowhere).

Aren’t we reviewing the drama on the unnecessary love triangle alone?, between Park Jin, headservant Kim and master lee. Or the intense want of Jang Uk and Mu Deok. to be together for a while? :what!:

The hiring scenes needs no dynamics to execute. If it is Naksu’s souls acting in academic, I’m expecting her to fail it too.  I’m expecting her to be illiterate. The writer is still kind enough, to make her literate and able to write, read and calculate. 
I bet many, of you miss the “cried for help glances” of Mu Deok with the Crown Prince when he came to drop the perfectly  answered test question. ( :hwaiting:Look for it). 

Naksu might be street smart because of life circumstances she had but It is also sensible that Naksu’s character is uneducated. That’s the norms for commoners in period drama genre. 

Naksu is one lucky girl. She’s getting love from everyone, even the Crown Prince servant is cheering for her. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

26 minutes ago, scribbledjunkie said:

We're not out of the woods yet. In a 20-episode drama, the storyline always plateaus around Episode 13 and 14. The angst is yet to come, chingus!:(

I'm sensing that at this episode, MuDeok secret is known to Jin Mu and evil Queen. They might even do massive search party to find MuDeok-Naksu. I hope all the boys will come together and protect her. 

My thinking is Crown Prince still be the king and I'm sure Jang Uk don't care much about being a king despite the propercy. My guess the properchy is much bigger than just be a king of Daeho. 

9 hours ago, kwayteow_mama said:

I can almost see S2 with LJW chasing after GYJ through the bamboo forest using chisu ala crouching tiger hidden dragon.

Omo omo this might the most romantic scene if they decide to do this.  :wow2:

• Like 7

2 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

i need her to be back with her powers so that she can join forces with songrim mages and deal with Jin Mu and the queen, like a pro!!

her glorious days where she can create rain and snow need to come really soon!!

ok not lightning like the gif.. but you know what i mean lol

But if the Queen fought those guys and Naksu, wouldn't that mean the Crown prince will be fighting them too? Is there a link between the old king who might be JU's pa and the current king. For some episodes, I was quite confused that there was the Crown prince and JU who could be the Crown prince.

Doesn't he have a house? Like Hanover or Plantegenet? Sorry, I have not worked how the Royal house is connected to the 4 wizard houses. He is not going to turn his back on his family.  @LeftCoastOppa wants to know who's going to die first. I have my guess but since many of you like him, I shan't say anything :glasses:.

@partyon aren't those eyebrows and lipstick some kind of omen? :hwaiting2:. Alright I am going to say it. There will come a time when the four scions and assasin will fight the Crown prince. It's heavily weighted against him, 5 vs 1.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, maribella said:

But if the Queen fought those guys and Naksu, wouldn't that mean the Crown prince will be fighting them too? Is there a link between the old king who might be JU's pa and the current king. For some episodes, I was quite confused that there was the Crown prince and JU who could be the Crown prince.

The previous king (Go Sung) and the current king (Go Soon) are brothers. The current king ascended the throne since the previous king died without any heirs (or so they thought;)). And since the current Queen and Yul's father are siblings, the Crown Prince (Go Won) is technically a cousin of both Uk and Yul.:D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1