[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

Here is the ratings for Episode 4! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Alchemy Of Souls” Soars To Its Highest Ratings Yet

tvN’s new drama “Alchemy of Souls” is on the rise!

On June 26, the fantasy romance starring Lee Jae Wook and Jung So Min achieved its highest viewership ratings yet for its fourth episode, which took first place in its time slot across all cable channels. According to Nielsen Korea, the latest broadcast of “Alchemy of Souls” scored a nationwide average of 6.8 percent, marking a significant jump from its previous episode the night prior.

“Alchemy of Souls” also earned its highest ratings yet among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it took first place in its time slot with an average nationwide rating of 3.9 percent.

“Alchemy Of Souls” Soars To Its Highest Ratings Yet | Soompi

• Like 6

@partyon hahahaha i think our side couple (Jin-Joo) are progressing much faster than the rate of Uk mastering the skills of controlling his qi..

Tonight Show Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

the mystery man who is able to summon the gwigu to come out and follow him.. he has got to be from the Jin family isn't it? the true owner of the gwigu and possibly Cho Yeon's uncle? or is he the second person who could have mastered all 5 levels of the highest mage skills? the one that Heo Yeom did not reveal..

from ep5 preview, it seems like gwigu and the man found Mu Deok.. i'm hoping that he will aid a little to help Naksu unleash a bit of her power at least enough to fend herself or against turning wild..

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

For someone who's not a fan of Wuxia-inspired dramas, I am surprisingly enjoying this. It's good they're giving us crumbs of Wook's backstory at the start of each episode. Where the hell is Jang Gang these days? Is he even still alive?

Also, my favorite heir has to be Danggu. Such a good friend with great sense of humor! Totally an opposite of the character he played in All Of Us Are Dead.

I wish they'd reveal more about Cho Yeon's sister. Did she die recently or as a child? If it's the latter, there's a huge possibility it could be Naksu or Mudeok.

• Like 5

I’m really confused about something. Jang Gang says that Jang Uk is the son of the late king, but the late king was in Jang Gang’s body and they switched souls…so why is Jang Uk considered the king’s son? I mean sure the King’s soul was in Jang Gang, but it’s technically Jang Gang’s body so isnt Jang Uk technically Jang Gang’s son in that case :sweat_smile:?

I haven’t watched episode 4 yet so excuse any questions I have if some are clarified in that episode… 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

14 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Hello 

Why are you anti- first  male lead ??

The character is jist ugh to me and the actor can't act in my view or at least he's not doing a good job with this character. I can empathize and sympathize even with the bottom of the barrel a little bit, with this character I wouldn't be upset at all if he magically died by episode 10. When he found out that his father was not his father which actually still maybe his father, I didn't feel the least bit hurt or concern for him at all. Now, me being pretty vain concerning his look is petty, but I do not like his hair and it looks like he used too many fillers in his jaw, chin, and mouth. I'm aggravated with his so-called friends always coming to his rescue because of his foolish Behavior. That type of thing normally doesn't aggravate me, but since I can't stand this character and don't think he's worthy of the rescue, it made me throw shade on them as well. I have rooted for people to overcome when they have been rejected and have a chip on their shoulder because of that rejection. I do not get on with this character and do not care about his chip on his shoulder. I was supposed to be moved to tears when he found out falsely that he was a product of an affair but instead I was moved to laughter. I'm not saying that I'm being fair, that is just the way it is with me. His character does not inspire me to see him overcome all the obstacles and even the flashbacks of the younger flashbacks of him did not help, it made his character sink even further.

Most of all, because of his selfishness and insecurities, he does not care that the master he chose has come to slaughter everybody that he cares about. He knows Naksu is an assassin that has tried to kill everybody there, but he does not care. He wants what he wants and to heck with everybody else. His friends have come to his Aid and he is leading them to the slaughter. He has the ends justify the means mentality which I do not like. I can't stand the Crown Prince but I like him much better and this idiot. Many people will die because of his stupidity and he may regret it a little bit but as long as he has his power and is a mage, he is okay with it all. As I write this, I'm even more disgusted.

11 hours ago, ferily said:

I’m really confused about something. Jang Gang says that Jang Uk is the son of the late king, but the late king was in Jang Gang’s body and they switched souls…so why is Jang Uk considered the king’s son? I mean sure the King’s soul was in Jang Gang, but it’s technically Jang Gang’s body so isnt Jang Uk technically Jang Gang’s son in that case :sweat_smile:?

I haven’t watched episode 4 yet so excuse any questions I have if some are clarified in that episode… 

I don't know what kind of trickery the Hong sisters is doing, but make it make sense! Looks like biologically it is Jang's son, but it was another soul and since according to their culture and religious beliefs, it is the energy that connects people and that moves on even as the body dies. Naksu was blind and now she can see so she took over someone else's body, her energy has eyesight apparently or is convenient for the plot so it's a miracle?

The only other option is that she was already pregnant before she made love to fake Jang.

Naacp GIF by BET

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

@ferily there's a slight explanation for that in episode 4. Something about a prophecy.^_^

Can I just say that I love how the 4 heirs unknowingly look out for each other? I hope they'll find ways to outsmart Jin Mu in future eps. Jo Jae Yoon does smarmy characters really well. I just want Jin Mu to get his comeuppance but it's too early in the story!:sweat_smile:

• Like 6

After watching episode 4, I'm getting the real crazy idea that the stated in-story rumor just might be true - Park Jin may indeed be Jang Uk's real father. He had the affair with Do-Hwa before either the King or Jang Gang.

He seems far to concerned about Jang Uk than a simple loyal family friend, and his scene with Jang Uk in the secret room after he was stabbed kinda cemented it for me. Still bleeding, He talked to Uk in an almost proud amusement at first, concerned more about Uk's wounds than his own.

It also fits the back story, what little we've seen - If he did have an affair with Do-Hwa, yet believes she died due to the complications arising out of the Alchemy of Souls between the King & Jang Gang, that may be why he pursues those who practice the forbidden magic with such zeal.  Additionally, Park Jin isn't Dang-Gu's father, he's his uncle  

Yeah, I know its a stretch but after watching it twice, I'm convinced ... for now at least :rolleyes:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sadthe1st said:

the mystery man who is able to summon the gwigu to come out and follow him.. he has got to be from the Jin family isn't it? the true owner of the gwigu and possibly Cho Yeon's uncle? or is he the second person who could have mastered all 5 levels of the highest mage skills? the one that Heo Yeom did not reveal..

from ep5 preview, it seems like gwigu and the man found Mu Deok.. i'm hoping that he will aid a little to help Naksu unleash a bit of her power at least enough to fend herself or against turning wild..

I hope so  too! Our favorite master/student pair would definitely benefit having 1 more person on their side (and a super powerful one to boot). 

I'm super curious why her soul switch bruise mark appears on a different part of her body compared to the rest or why she hasn't shown any hint of going wild. Or why Naksu ended up transferring her soul to Mudeok instead of her initial intended target. I hope we will start to see more of Naksu and Mudeok's backstory since we have been seeing snippets of Uk's past so far.

• Like 6

I just watched ep 3 and 4 and I’ve decreased my expectations even more. The tone of the drama is so uneven. I like the leads and I think they are good and I keep watching because of them. 

I find the whole writing - especially re the 4 seasons and for the master and student moments a bit too flat, stereotypical, and predictable. Ok the only scene that surprised me was Uk loosing control of his arm and going after the Crown Prince. The whole who drinks the chamber pot. Lol

Let’s hope it gets better. Will continue to give it a chance. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

I think he is the name cannot be reveal as mentioned by Heo Yeom. Since he already sense Naksu soul and he is going after her (in the preview) I hope he could be one more factor to unleash Jang Uk power.

Lee Jae Wook might be looked like not suitable for this drama, but I can see he can carry sangeuk ML and how good he is playing with emotion. I never watch his other drama before so I will give him a try to see how well he will carry in this drama.

I hope Seo Yeol or Mu Deok didn't died or perish in this drama (I'm still bitter about Hwayugi where they killed the female lead), and wish they keep Mu Deok/Naksu till the end. I don't know if they could recover Naksu original body but we'll see.

This drama is listed 20 episode so probably we have a lot of plots of drama a long the way. 

52 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

After watching episode 4, I'm getting the real crazy idea that the stated in-story rumor just might be true - Park Jin may indeed be Jang Uk's real father. He had the affair with Do-Hwa before either the King or Jang Gang.

I don't think so because when Jang Uk was born, the star propercy that predicted by the dead king is there to indicate the heir of the king is born. Park Jin still cherished his old flame that's why he try to protect his beloved son. Just like Severus Snape in Harry Potter trying to protect Harry from Voldermort. But of course Park Jin is warmer person and he love his bff too (Jang Uk' father). 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

imho, Jang Gang is being selfish and living in denial.. channeling his anger to his grave mistake to the innocent Jang Uk, and sacrificing the good name of Do Hwa accusing of her affair. he might not have announced it that way to people, but at the same time he did not try to explain and clear her reputation as well.

he was the one who gave in to the king's suggestion to do a soul swap, resulting in his wife being tainted, for a good 7 days.. (and the king still daringly thanked him for it.. like wth!)

he is very well aware of this mistake and the consequences given that he still saved the baby when Park Jin threatened to kill him.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, orion00 said:

I don't think so because when Jang Uk was born, the star propercy that predicted by the dead king is there to indicate the heir of the king is born.

Getting that reveal 4 episodes into a 30 episode drama seems a bit too rushed to me - add to it Jang Gang's assertion that it (the prophecy) was incorrect, plus Park Jins rumored affair ... outta the 3 possible fathers here, I'm still putting the King in last place. I think Jang Uk will be tormented by the idea (once he finds out) but I'm betting on an end reveal that he is NOT the Kings son.

7 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

@partyon hahahaha i think our side couple (Jin-Joo) are progressing much faster than the rate of Uk mastering the skills of controlling his qi..

This Is Going To Be Good GIFs | Tenor

7 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

While hardly conclusive, Asianwiki has him listed as "Teacher Lee" and not associated with any of the 4 families.  Per preview he can clearly sense Mu-Deok is a soulshifter but I think he will figure into Jung Uk's training somehow, and as he has control over the magic pooch, hopefully that will protect Mu-Deok from one avenue of exposure.

• Like 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

8 hours ago, TheQueenReturns said:

Most of all, because of his selfishness and insecurities, he does not care that the master he chose has come to slaughter everybody that he cares about. He knows Naksu is an assassin that has tried to kill everybod

I am with you here. Utterly reprehensible, he chose to protect a cold blooded killer just to advance his own needs.

His looks and acting are acceptable. After watching many kdramas, I am now used to straight as a ruler nose, chiselled by nature or Dr Kim - not a problem, MLs who are prettier or much younger than FLs and hilarious hairstyles.

But the worst about UK was him shattering that priceless heirloom jar. So barbaric. :rage:

BTW @confusedheart you really should have the bad hair day poll regularly.  I am having great fun rewatching old series and some of the hair. The Good Fight GIF by Paramount+

The hairdressers must be volunteers or apprentices.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Saw ep4... the plot has slowed after the first episode and repeated scenes are making viewers think, ok, what else... move on plot...haha..:D

No offense to Lee Jae Wook (you have come a long way since Search WWW exploded his popularity, its unfortunate that he is not really considered as handsome as the actor who played Yul in the drama.. right)...but perhaps if Jang dong-yoon (aka Tale of Nakdo) was the lead, it could be different... Jang looks cute in his hanbok, while JaeWook looks too skinny perhaps.  He has worked hard for his muscles as we were all shown...

So this drama is a Hong sisters' production..interesting.. hasnt reach the 4% ratings yet and i can see why, 'Why Her' has a leading edge over this drama on Saturday airing...

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1