[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

@LeftCoastOppa Aaah ep 14? Right, how could my memory totally glossed over that :sweatingbullets:

''I was defeated that day. I can not give any excuses or take back the outcome of a fight. But once i regain my strength, I would like to have a proper fight with him."

Hmmm it is indeed weird. However the tone did not sound like it was holding any malice behind this? I could be wrong, but i think it came from a place of, idk how to call it, wistfullness? She longs to gain back her power and fighting a veteran mage like park jin is just kind of a milestone that she wants to overcome? She just said that she wants to have a 'proper fight', instead of killing him for whatever personal grudge she might have related to her dad's death. 

It's a feeble motive, but as several people have been mentioning here, her character is currently suffering from a severe lack of motivation. As they're gearing up to finish the shaman choi and jin mu arc, naksu's character will unfortunately be pushed into the background. Unless there's a direct thread connecting her dad and these two villains, there's no room for her to show up and 'be the main character', she'll just remain as janguk's (beloved) master who's going to be there to save and support him, i guess.

• Like 7

The reason jang gang went to look for naksu brings me to the part that she may be the next heir of cheongbawan and future gwanju instead of jang uk. I still think naksu is the daughter of cho chung. Jang uk was born of sorcery and his life will be conflict of interest as the trusted member and head of cheonbangwan. So Jang Gang has no more direct heir. So I think he was beginning to give to cho chung’s descendants. However, cho chung died and choyong disappeared, that could be a missing link that he needs to get her back before his house will fall into wrong hands. I mean the look of jang gang when he returned. He was tired and ragged looking for the key to all of this. 

Jang uk may become a founder of new house or become rouge or work under naksu/cho young in cheongbawan as secret agent mage. 

about naksu wanting to continue to revenge park jin after all the things she had gone through with everyone, I think it would be like non lethal duel. It may seem like revenge but I think she just had competitive streak in her. Her skills are her very pride. But I do believe she will not do it as a revenge but to deal with all the hurts and things they all have put her through. It could be like temporary temptation that she is dying to fight again. She was raised to be a warrior. 

About seven stars around king star jang uk, I haven’t been able to figure out 7th person. 

• Like 5

The switching souls theme is confusing me, who's who kinda game :lol:. Who's the real who ... LOL

After watching the special episode Recap (17), I think Jung So Min did great work portraying these Dual Character MuDeok/Naksu, A sweet girl MuDeok who trapped an assassin soul.

Now that we know how great Jinyowon's lost daughter is .... I believe Jin Bu Yeon / MuDeok is more powerful than Naksu!!!   Hehehhehe Sorry Naksu's fan chingus, Biane!

And so, I'm hoping that the story of the 2nd Sequel of this series, is about Jin Bu Yeon Duel fight with Naksu ??

I'm fantasizing the duel which is about the girls fighting over Jang Uk.  LOL.

Can't believe we have to wait for 2 weeks

• Like 5

The most Naksu and Uk romantic scene, for me, is when they were both  thinking about what 

to say to Park Jin. 

Their voices alternated and it was pretty sensual.  

Another romantic scene is when Uk gave her the sword.

This time he didnt tease her. Calmly and in his own way, he told her how much she meant to him.

Alchemy-of-Souls-ep-3-kdramadiary-k-650x

• Like 6

On 8/12/2022 at 6:13 PM, LeftCoastOppa said:

How so? They've given us the backstory insofar as her father was already a soulshifter when he was killed - I don't think anyone of the families have denied taking part or being there that night - what else do you see being discovered?

the fact that Hang Gang would be gone for 20 years to search for his friend's daughter!

They killed a soul shifter but what is the story of that soul shifter? Who did this and who did he exchange souls with?

Also, who was MD's granny? If we assume things are as straightforward as BY being MD and BY falling into the water body and then being saved by someone, where did the granny come from? JG saved BY when she was in Mommy Jin's womb but he doesn't spend ages looking for her instead he goes looking for the daughter of his close friend? The daughter of the close friend of JG is picked by JM but why her?

On 8/13/2022 at 7:27 AM, SleepyKitty said:

She said that? When? Uhhh, I might need to rewatch it again

she does in episode 15 when she is cleaning his room in Songrim. 

Park Jin has been part of uncovering what happened with Naksu,

Agreed but because Naksu is a soul shifter now so if he finds out about Naksu in MD's body he will not spare her. JU has said it and it has been underlined again and again that Park would destroy the ice stone and is against any "unnatural" or "bansuri" (that is what I hear and what I understand is black magic) activity as well as its results. Naksu not dying is a result of black magic. MD/Naksu knows this, no?

Also, he may not kill her but he will capture her. Question is who will capture MD/Naksu first: JM, Park or Boyi (I hope I got her name right!)

Also, I may be wrong, but I feel that they haven't done really shown us Naksu's development mentally, so we don't know if she would at least want to appease her pride and prove to Park that she was a good warrior even though she lost/died in the last battle. Basically, I feel that the creators have so much to show and so many pathways to take so if they have deliberately shown a scene and spent 3-5 minutes on it that means it should have a meaning. If it doesn't then I would take it as bad storytelling choices. One purpose that scene did serve is show us how hot headed Naksu is and how she often invites trouble. Though for me the English translation of that dialogue was a bit off. To me, her being bold seemed contrived than natural. This is just my interpretation and I could be wrong. 

BTW I am so looking forward to Naksu drawing the sword to save JU :D

After the way Naksu had been unkind to Hang Uk in episode 11, I am still waiting for her to do something huge for him. He forgave her just because of her back story, he locked her in his arms even when he could have died! (rubbing my hands gleefully in anticipation!)

Yes, but by the time of episode 1 she was already a notorious assassin, as she had already killed many Daeho mages - Even though many of the leaders now know she is a tragic character, and that by killing soulshifting mages for Jin Mu she was actually helping Daeho - That said, I doubt a majority of the population realize that the men she killed were soulshifters, just as she initially did not realize the same about her own father, so some may still harbor grudges ... but then again, thanks to Jang Uk ... the "Blue Naksu" ... many could see her as a hero. 

Confession time: I don't think Naksu's inner journey or character development is very clear to me. I stand on that side of the spectrum where I think the creators made her secondary to the hero, in the sense that if you observe : most things have happened to her while she doesn't "actively" do things to get her power back except for supporting JU. She was never very awkward among people though she had lived on her own in the wild. In one of the drama beans reviews, a person had commented that they wished we were more privy to Naksu's journey as most of the time that isn't very clear. This resonated with me. So, I am enjoying the series but this is my gripe.

Add to that the fact that by showing us a sad past, they have tried to white wash her sins. Man Woel spent years to make up for killing people (Hotel Del Luna) -- there I felt the creators were too harsh! So many leaders and despots have killed more but they haven't spent years in limbo waiting for redemption -- but I don't think Naksu will pay back in that sense... they just don't have enough time for this even with a second season.

Perhaps its Jin Mothers tears that finally bring Bu Yeon out into the open - she is after all one of the last real big mysteries yet to be revealed/explained.

I agree but I am not invested in Mama Jin or MD. MD just doesn't seem real to me. She is like a saint who has magical powers. Also, weirdly, she was kind to everyone yet she has "trapped" Naksu? (reference MD's conversation with younger Jin sister about the powers of a priestess).

For me, I am only here for Naksu in MD's body + her disciple's interactions. I just enjoy the two of them together on the screen. Other characters are nice and fun but they have my heart and honestly, for me after episode 9 them together on screen is a rarity. I so want to go and remind the creators that can we cut some extra bits and just have more of Uk and his Master?

When will next weekend be here? I think MD and Uk go on a date, no? Then we will have angst and Naksu will unsheathe her sword and then episode 18 will end leaving us at a cliff hanger! Am trying to second guess the writer/director and think about how will they kill/remove MD's body from the season such that Naksu (new actress) come to full bloom in Episode 21 (whenever that happens!). How will UK feel about his master in her own body?? Will Uk have a period of angst too where he will think that his master is dead (he has never seen Naksu) to have her help him in her new body? 

This series is so much fun! :D

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

Confession time: I don't think Naksu's inner journey or character development is very clear to me. I stand on that side of the spectrum where I think the creators made her secondary to the hero, in the sense that if you observe : most things have happened to her while she doesn't "actively" do things to get her power back except for supporting JU. She was never very awkward among people though she had lived on her own in the wild. In one of the drama beans reviews, a person had commented that they wished we were more privy to Naksu's journey as most of the time that isn't very clear. This resonated with me. So, I am enjoying the series but this is my gripe.

This is unfortunately a common scenario in Kdramas, where we start with the female lead as the main character, but she gradually takes a back seat to the journey of the male lead. (See W and While You Were Sleeping for two examples off the top of my head. I still loved those dramas! And I love Alchemy of Souls. But I've seen this kind of switch before.)

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 11:48 AM, Tina288 said:

About seven stars around king star jang uk, I haven’t been able to figure out 7th person. 

My guess is:

Mudeok can be considered one star
Bo yi can be considered one if her love for Yul wins -- we don't know but we will find out within 2 weeks :D

On 8/13/2022 at 1:42 PM, partyon said:

Chingus, planning on putting up a new poll this weekend. Please give your suggestions on poll questions you would like to see!

Thank you for your dedication @partyon, how about something about the ending? Which cliff hanger will they leave us on at the end of episode 20?

I think this season will only be about end of one villain and collection of the stars. Next season will be about romance and war :D I hope I am wrong but this is fun to predict.

One question could be: Will MD live? Will this drama have a happy ending in episode 20 or in episode 30? 

I am having so much fun just thinking about these. Anyway, am not the most creative poll creator so those are my inputs :D

@rocher22 the most painful scene in this series (uptil now): the scene when Uk and Naksu in MD's body witness how Naksu's sword rejects her. That scene is so painful. He is so disappointed as she was his only hope while she is devastated and it is so embarrassing! (episode 2)
My favourite sequence will be: When Uk asks about MD and then goes to her rescue in the torture room. Him saying, we could have died, you are really crazy! Her saying, you survived my dear student and that killer smirk! 
One romantic sequence is when he calls her a liar and then grumbles and then says what was really troubling him: dodge my sword and don't just stand there and she is like I wasn't hindering you... that sequence. I love her slight movement to question: why would he be worried and then him realising that she really don't understand that he could be worried and says: think of it as the mother bird worrying about her egg cracking... awww my heart melted!

Like I said, them together on screen is just pure fun, entertainment and love. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I can see why it's on hiatus, the writer forgot who is in who, who fathered who, is it ice stone or stoned .... if it's only 30 episodes, surely they would have had written everything. 

So trying to make it so puzzling to the viewers, they are confused themselves. :Megalol:
Mark my words Soompians, most of you will go 'like what?' at the end. I only want to know how the dead foetus grows up to be a blind girl. 

Then they would try to match and synchronise the story in the second half. But since they are changing the FL, any unsynchronised bits would be attributed to BY/MD's death.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Awesome 1

37 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

How will UK feel about his master in her own body?? Will Uk have a period of angst too where he will think that his master is dead (he has never seen Naksu) to have her help him in her new body? 

Oh, I thought he saw Naksu when they were burning her body...or I missed something..  :unsure:

The hugs between Uk and Naksu  

His hugs are quite gentle and protective.

My fav...the almost a passionate hug.. :approves:

Alchemy of Souls" Episode 8 Discovers An Exceptional Mage On A Mission To  Protect His Master - kdramadiary

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@maribella that was hilarious! My brain says exactly what you have written but my heart is ready to compromise on anything as long as they show me some fun stuff (angst is also ok) with Naksu in MD's body and Uk! Alternately, my heart does want a nice piece of art so am hoping against hope that they can pull it. I love Hong Sisters for their dialogues and wit but hate how they kill the story after the mid-point. Hotel Del luna felt a bit stretched to me and because they forgot about "showing" MW's journey and everything was about KCS and making him into this too nice guy -- that I dropped it mid-way. I am AOS till episode 16  because this time the Hong Sister's seem to have been a little less ambitious and have gone for manageable plot points. Things go wrong but can be controlled logically. Except about the female lead's identity crisis!

Anyway, I am trying to prepare myself for everything. I so wish they would just finish production and let us complete AOS this year itself.

16 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

Oh, I thought he saw Naksu when they were burning her body...or I missed something..  :unsure:

You didn't. Only thing is camera didn't focus on him so he might not have seen Naksu's face. I mean if they want to go that way, they can as it sounds plausible to me. He was in a crowd and the body was horizontal on a pyre. We don't even know if he was there throughout as he didn't care about Naksu's body because for him Naksu was there in MD. But we will see :D

Their hugs  ... chef's kiss! I do think the director has done an awesome job of making Yul super nice and their hugs so warm! I wish I had a friend like Yul, that boy is so nice to Uk. He was actually happy for Uk when he found out that Uk was at Chisu level.

Btw I have been worried about how the creators would explain the come back of Naksu's body as that was burnt. I am not ready to agree to their choice: someone Hid Naksu's body and it was by magic that a replica was kept in plain sight and burnt! 

And an extended trailer is out!

Please can someone tell me what does MD say in the VO during their KISS!

Yay! bring it on :D

Spoiler

Time for some fan service! They kissed!

• Like 6
  • Shocked 1
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Dramafreak said:

Time for some fan service! They kissed!

Probably filmed this weekend. Or then they have totally rearranged the remaining episodes :loolz:

Taking bets now ! This is gonna have a disaster ending :joy:

Yes Please Want GIF by Brimstone (The Grindhouse Radio, Hound Comics)

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Awesome 1

Another Kiss,yesss, i want Yul to see this lol:joy:

for me, it's not worth breaking your head, at first I thought the rumor was false but now thanks to social networks, I realize that JSM will not be the female lead in part 2, so either Mudeok dies and of course nasku lives again in her own body (OTHER ACTRESS nasku is back to filming part 2), either Mudeok is in a comatose state and won't wake up until the end, so JSM will do a cameo in the final part 2, here it is that's all:approves:

• Like 7
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, maribella said:

Mark my words Soompians, most of you will go 'like what?' at the end. I only want to know how the dead foetus grow up to be a blind girl. 

Yup! @Sleepy Owland I already predicted this in ep 1 :joy: We were convinced by the time he dropped the drama, and I was "coerced" to continue due to @LeftCoastOppa :joy:

Hold on, chingus! The ending might come at you just like this:

boat fail GIF

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

Poll time #2: While we wait....

...as patiently as Maidservant Kim for a love confession....

3jENyvx.png?ssl=1

cr. to owner

...there's time to vote in the poll! :kiss_wink:

Thank you to @K-dramafan22 and @Dramafreak for the questions! :dorakiss:

re: @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart @agenth

Tagging:

@LeftCoastOppa @sadthe1st @maribella @orion00  @SleepyKitty @TheQueenReturns @kwayteow_mama @K-dramafan22 @Paperx Atelier @Tina288 @iamsherry  @Rollito Deprimavera  @backstreetboysfan @frozentundra @andy78 @marrez1 @Jeannie @AlterEgoNo9  @emsel @rocat @CA C @deishii @Pinkypoo @rocher22 @Yinye @Gumiho  @ilovenico @lilyphenix  @Dramafreak 

• Like 8
  • Love 5

I like the expanded trailer (but wish we were watching the actual episode right now!) 

I wonder who is soul shifting in this trailer? The plan seemed to be to switch the shaman from the queen's body to Soyi, right? Is that what is going on? But then there's Mudeok and some kind of ominous jar of...something. I wonder what would happen if someone tried to forcibly alchemy Naksu out of Mudeok's body at this point. Buyeon stopped Uk from getting his soul stolen. I would guess she could hang on to Naksu as well? (Unless Naksu wanted to go, I dunno if that makes it different.) 

Yes, yes, it could all end badly, but I have already been scarred by 2521 this year and I am hoping that TVN learned something from that and will insist on a logical ending this time. 

• Like 6

:what!:   they kissed..      :highonflowers:

2 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

@rocher22 the most painful scene in this series (uptil now): the scene when Uk and Naksu in MD's body witness how Naksu's sword rejects her. That scene is so painful. He is so disappointed as she was his only hope while she is devastated and it is so embarrassing! (episode 2)

I will add

- the scene when her body was burning...everyone was staring at the scene..only Uk was looking

at Naksu because he knew that it was difficult for her...

2 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

Like I said, them together on screen is just pure fun, entertainment and love. 

the only scene where Uk and Naksu(GYJ) are in the frame together was so hilarious. (ep 1)

Uk was in the wooden tub and she imagined him spinning in that turbulent water.   :D

That was the first time we saw her smile. 

• Like 4