[Drama 2022] Thirty-Nine, 서른 아홉

larus

A pretty slooOoOoow~ first ep. LoL but I ' m mostly intrigued by Mi Jo-Seon Woo pairing of course. Ye Jin is gorgeous as always. Congrats to her for her engagement news btw.

Her friend who's havin' an affair has a warped logic ha-ha. 'Cause there's no sex involved, therefore it's not an affair Ok LoL. Her plot was boring to me LoL. She kept pleading the guy to leave his wife despite bein' blase on it tsk.

The other friend who seem more like a ditz LoL. I think it's obvious she'd hook up with the restaurateur.

I laughed at Mi Jo when in her drunken state asked Seon Woo for a single Peony LoL. Then she was pretty straightforward when she asked him if he wanted to "sleep" with her. Koreans are getting creative huh LoL. First "Ramyun" then "Butterflies" now it's to "see peonies" oh boy LoL.

• LOL 5

I particularly enjoyed the very first parts on how the show established the friendship they have, and I'm excited to see any future scenes with the trio in the past. Always good to see where and how people experienced life before the now.

I'm curious who was the one who passes in the end as mentioned in the funeral scene. I would guess Chan-Young from the feels of this first episode, but we'll see. 

Overall it was a very cute first episode!

Edit: Okay, so it does look like it's possibly Chan-Young (backreading from the posts and watching the trailers)

• Love 1
  • Awesome 1

According to Nielsen Korea, <Thirty, Nine> 1st episode recorded ratings of 4.4%!

JTBC Top 10 Highest Premiere Episode viewer rating <Thirty, Nine> rank #8

First episode 'Thirty-Nine', a mysterious funeral → Son Ye-Jin X Yeon Woo-Jin overnight… '4.4%'

Posted by: February 17, 2022 (Thu) 07:01

FCFE164-C-5-F60-4583-9-CBC-F310691-D122-

Son Ye-jin Jeon Mi-do Kim Ji-hyung Yeon Woo-jin Thirty-nine First episode / Photo = JTBC

[Sports Today Reporter Seo Ji-hyeon] Son Ye-jin, Jeon Mi-do, and Kim Ji-hyun's 'Thirty Nine' started. 

According to Nielsen Korea, an audience rating research company on the 17th, JTBC's new Wednesday-Thursday drama 'Thirty, Nine', which was first aired the day before, started with 4.4% (based on paid households). 

This is a 0.8%p increase from the previous JTBC new Wednesday-Thursday drama 'Peacock City', which was 3.6% in the first episode. 

The daily life of Cha Mi-jo (Son Ye-jin), Jeong Chan-young (Jeon Mi-do), and Jang Joo-hee (Kim Ji-hyun) of 'Thirty, Nine' was portrayed on this day's broadcast. But soon, someone's funeral scene was drawn, leaving questions behind. Here, Cha Mi-jo announced the beginning of the relationship by sleeping with Kim Seon-woo (Yeon Woo-jin) after drinking. 

'Thirty, Nine' is a real human romance drama that deals with the deep story of friendship, love, and life of three friends who are about to turn forty. It airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 10:30 PM. 

http://mstoo.asiae.co.kr/article.php?aid=77744674360

• Like 2

JTBC new human romance drama #ThirtyNine started off with average rating: 

Nationwide 4.4%
Seoul 4.5%

The drama tells story of 3 same-aged bestfriends SonYeJin JeonMiDo KimJiHyun and how they learn about life, love & death before 40

https://twitter.com/KoreanUpdates/status/1494164877010956290

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Can you please let me know if the black high heel shoes worn by Son Ye-Jin (please see fb link) episode 1 is Jimmy Choo? It has words at the back of the shoes. She wore it when she spent the night with the guy he met at the orphanage. It is hard to guess. I can't insert the image because it does not support the fb page. I put the link down below. I tried to look it up on Google, but it does not even know what it is.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1378080195974115&set=a.114259605689520

Edited by Jaye Soriano

Son Ye Jin, Jeon Mi Do, And Kim Ji Hyun Keep A Close Eye On Lee Tae Hwan In “Thirty-Nine”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Feb 17, 2022
by L. Kim

JTBC’s “Thirty-Nine” has shared an intriguing sneak peek of the next episode!

“Thirty-Nine” stars Son Ye JinJeon Mi Do, and Kim Ji Hyun as three friends who met in their second year of high school and are now on the verge of turning 40.

Son Ye Jin plays Cha Mi Jo, the head dermatologist of a clinic in Gangnam. Jeon Mi Do takes the role of Jung Chan Young, an acting teacher who previously dreamed of becoming an actress, and Kim Ji Hyun stars as Jang Joo Hee, a department store cosmetics manager.

Spoilers

“Thirty-Nine” made a promising start with an average nationwide viewership rating of 4.406 percent. The first episode gave a proper look at the sweet yet chaotic friendship of Cha Mi Jo, Jung Chan Young, and Jang Joo Hee. In particular, they made viewers burst into laughter when they were summoned to the police station after getting into a scuffle with other people.

In the next episode, Cha Mi Jo, Jung Chan Young, and Jang Joo Hee will pay a visit to the new fusion restaurant Chinatown. The new stills feature the trio at the restaurant, but instead of the food, their eyes are on Park Hyun Joon (Lee Tae Hwan), the CEO and chef of Chinatown.

Previously, Jang Joo Hee and Park Hyun Joon had a hilarious first encounter when she approached his restaurant in a drunken state. Now, it seems as if Jang Joo Hee has finally gotten the green light in her love life, and Cha Mi Jo and Jung Chan Young are more than willing to scope it out.

In the photos, Cha Mi Jo and Jung Chan Young eagerly spy on Park Hyun Joon, who may end up becoming Jang Joo Hee’s lover in the future. They are more than impressed by his charisma as a chef, and their curiosity about him is rapidly increasing. Park Hyun Joon, who feels their blatant staring, flashes them a warm smile.

However, the expressions of Cha Mi Jo, Jung Chan Young, and Jang Joo Hee turn stiff when a beautiful woman appears in front of Park Hyun Joon. Cha Mi Jo stares at the woman with vigilance, while Jung Chan Young tilts her head questioningly. On the other hand, Jang Joo Hee seems to have lost her spark of hope, and her depressed expression makes viewers laugh as they wonder what will happen next in her ambiguous love life.

thirty-nine4.jpg

The second episode of “Thirty-Nine” will air on February 17 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

• Love 2

Son Ye Jin, Jeon Mi Do, Kim Ji Hyun, And More Share Details About Their On-Screen Romances In “Thirty-Nine” + What The Drama Means To Them

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Feb 17, 2022
by S. Cho

JTBC’s drama “Thirty-Nine” will deal with friendship, realistic life concerns, and “wo-mance,” as well as romance!

On February 16, JTBC held an online press conference for “Thirty-Nine” with main cast members Son Ye Jin, Jeon Mi Do, Kim Ji Hyun, Yeon Woo Jin, Lee Moo Saeng, Lee Tae Hwan, and director Kim Sang Ho.

“Thirty-Nine” stars Son Ye Jin, Jeon Mi Do, and Kim Ji Hyun as three friends who met in their second year of high school and are now on the verge of turning 40. The series will follow the three 39-year-old women as they encounter unforeseen circumstances in their lives, including their relationships with Yeon Woo Jin, Lee Moo Saeng, and Lee Tae Hwan.

Out of all ages, director Kim Sang Ho elaborated on why they chose to focus on the age 39. He explained, “To borrow the words of writer Yoo Young Ah, she said that 39 is an age full of nerves right as you approach 40. It feels a bit early to achieve something before you turn 40, but it also feels a bit late to start something new, so I think it’s an ambiguous age that’s full of nerves. We wanted to portray the story of three friends reaching that age, accepting it, and moving forward from that turning point.”

As this is Son Ye Jin’s first drama in two years since wrapping up “Crash Landing On You” in early 2020, the actress talked about how she came to choose “Thirty-Nine” for her next project. She commented, “For starters, the script was so fun. I read the script so quickly, and the dialogue was so fun. If I weren’t at this age right now, how would I be able to work on projects like this as an actress? For the sake of my conscience. Even though I’d do it if given the opportunity again.”

Son Ye Jin continued, “I was able to relate perfectly to this age and the story of these women’s lives and romances. To the point where I wondered whether the writer had installed cameras in my house, there were a lot of parts that made me go, ‘This is a line I say [in real life]?’ [My character] Cha Mi Jo is also crazy about golf, and I like golf. That’s how much I was able to relate to it.”

The star also touched on her upcoming marriage to “Crash Landing On You” co-star Hyun Bin, as the couple announced their engagement earlier this month. Son Ye Jin asked host Park Seul Gi, “How is it, now that you’re married?” The host replied, “It’s so nice,” to which Son Ye Jin shared, “I hope it’s like that for me too. I’m so thankful. Both personally and as an actor, so many big things have happened to me at the start of 2022, so I believe that it’s fate. I’ve received so many congratulatory messages, so I want to take this opportunity to say that I’m so thankful.”

The three actresses then spoke about their chemistry, with Son Ye Jin sharing, “Even though we didn’t try to become close, we became close anyway. My first impressions were that I wanted to bite Jeon Mi Do [because she was so cute] and that Kim Ji Hyun appeared cold, but I liked her the more I got to know her. We became close so naturally that later on, even when we were filming serious scenes, we were always chatting.”

Jeon Mi Do revealed, “Kim Ji Hyun and I have been friends for over 10 years. We’ve played the same roles, and we’ve also appeared in the same project in different roles. We’re both originally Son Ye Jin fans. Since I don’t have a lot of [drama] experience, I was lacking in a lot of aspects, so I’d always ask ‘Pro Son’ or ‘Senior Son’ to teach me. She taught me a lot, and I think that’s how we became close so quickly.”

Kim-Ji-Hyun-Son-Ye-Jin-Jeon-Mi-Do.jpeg

In terms of what sets “Thirty-Nine” apart from other dramas, Kim Sang Ho shared, “We wanted to draw out the friendship between three humans, as opposed to three women. We tried our best to sincerely deal with and convey the emotions that any human can feel.” Jeon Mi Do added with a smile, “I haven’t seen too many ‘wo-mance’ dramas, but I think we’re the oldest. You can look forward to our experienced and substantive romances.”

Kim Ji Hyun continued, “When I was watching the videos, there are scenes of our ‘wo-mance’ in present day, but there are also scenes from the past. We have younger actresses play our younger counterparts, but there are also a few scenes we filmed where we specifically dressed up to look younger. It was so funny while filming.” Jeon Mi Do hilariously chimed in, “We don’t look young at all.”

The ladies also talked about their on-screen romances. Kim Ji Hyun commented, “In ‘Thirty-Nine,’ my romance with Lee Tae Hwan has a very mild taste [as opposed to spicy]. It’s a romance that’s on the cusp of blossoming. It’s a very healthy relationship, but my character has never dated and is really careful about meeting someone younger than her. It’s a very subtle romance with a mild taste that doesn’t have any added MSG.”

Jeon Mi Do shared, “Our couple has a story. They’ve been tangled up numerous times, and while they appear dumb, they’re also sad and full of resentment, so it’s hard to sum up with one word. I hope you will keep an eye on how this relationship evolves and concludes.”

Son Ye Jin commented, “Yeon Woo Jin’s character is so perfect, to the point where I don’t think there is a man like him in the world. He’s an unbelievable romantic straight out of a fairytale who is so considerate and forgiving. That’s why I think you’ll be able to enjoy living vicariously [through my character].”

Spoiler

Lee-Moo-Saeng-Jeon-Mi-Do.jpeg

Lee-Tae-Hwan-Kim-Ji-Hyun.jpeg

Yeon-Woo-Jin-Son-Ye-Jin.jpeg

Lastly, all six cast members shared what “Thirty-Nine” means to them. Lee Tae Hwan commented, “I still have 11 years until I’m 39 years old. For starters, I think I’ll become a bit more masculine. I think I’ll feel different if I watch ‘Thirty-Nine’ at that age. This is just my wish, but in 11 years, I want to film ‘Forty-Nine’ with the same cast.”

Lee Moo Saeng shared, “39 feels so distant from me now, so if my memory serves me right, they typically say that 40 is the age when you become free of vacillation. They say that it’s an age where you’re not swayed no matter what decision you make, so I also had a lot of worries around [the age of] 39. Whether I’d be able to not get swayed, no matter the decision. However, I still sway today, and I think I’ll continue to sway in the future. My mentality these days is that if I’m to sway, I must not break. That’s how I’ve become more relaxed and gained some freedom. I hope the same for everyone: that even if you sway, I hope you won’t break.”

Yeon Woo Jin explained, “I’m currently 39 and I have quite a lot of concerns, but I’m thinking of making this a year where I can put my bucket list into practice. Personally, I’m definitely going to get my health check-up, and I’ve never gone on vacation alone, but I want to go one time. While I’m on vacation, if there’s someone else who’s 39 years old, I would like to greet them.”

Kim Ji Hyun continued, “It’s lame, but if I were to put it all together, I’d say we were only 39 once we were cast and acted [in our roles]. You can look at it like my 39 was filled with the drama ‘Thirty-Nine.'” Jeon Mi Do added, “I began auditioning at 39 and ended up filming ‘Hospital Playlist.’ It was an important time for me. That’s how I ended up doing ‘Thirty-Nine.'”

Son Ye Jin shared, “People always talk about superstitions about the number nine. However, when I became an actress in my twenties, I didn’t think that I’d turn 40 after my thirties. I’ve never thought about or imagined my life after 40. However, I’m suddenly over 40 now. It makes me realize that age is not that important. If they ask whether you become a mature adult because you turned 40, I don’t think that’s the case at all. This is mentioned in our drama too. ‘We ate tteokbokki in high school, but I didn’t know we’d be eating it even after we turned 40.’ We’re young at heart; it’s just the number that’s changed. I hope you do not focus on numbers and rather live while experiencing time.”

Thirty-Nine2.jpeg

Finally, the director commented, “This is a drama where there will be lots of fun in watching the actors’ detailed acting. I wanted to capture this incredible acting on screen without damaging it. You’ll be able to enjoy watching if you focus on the emotional acting.”

After premiering on February 16, “Thirty-Nine” will air every Wednesday and Thursday at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1513304wpp/son-ye-jin-jeon-mi-do-kim-ji-hyun-and-more-share-details-about-their-on-screen-romances-in-thirty-nine-what-the-drama-means-to-them

• Love 2

Son Ye Jin, Jeon Mi Do, And Kim Ji Hyun’s New Drama “Thirty-Nine” Premieres To Strong Ratings

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Feb 17, 2022
by S. Nam

JTBC’s “Thirty-Nine” is off to a promising start!

According to Nielsen Korea, the February 16 premiere of JTBC’s new Wednesday-Thursday drama “Thirty-Nine” recorded an average nationwide viewership rating of 4.406 percent. This is similar to the personal best score of 4.695 percent achieved by “Artificial City,” the drama that previously aired in the same time slot, for its final episode.

“Thirty-Nine” is a new drama starring Son Ye JinJeon Mi Do, and Kim Ji Hyun as three friends who met in their second year of high school and are now on the verge of turning 40. The series will follow the three 39-year-old women as they encounter unforeseen circumstances in their lives. The drama also stars Yeon Woo Jin, Lee Moo Saeng, and Lee Tae Hwan.

“Thirty-Nine” airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1513377wpp/son-ye-jin-jeon-mi-do-and-kim-ji-hyuns-new-drama-thirty-nine-premieres-to-strong-ratings

• Like 1
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, Jaye Soriano said:

Can you please let me know if the black high heel shoes worn by Son Ye-Jin (please see fb link) episode 1 is Jimmy Choo? It has words at the back of the shoes. She wore it when she spent the night with the guy he met at the orphanage. It is hard to guess. I can't insert the image because it does not support the fb page. I put the link down below. I tried to look it up on Google, but it does not even know what it is.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1378080195974115&set=a.114259605689520

They are Jimmy Choo shoes!

• Awesome 1

22 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

A pretty slooOoOoow~ first ep. LoL but I ' m mostly intrigued by Mi Jo-Seon Woo pairing of course. Ye Jin is gorgeous as always. Congrats to her for her engagement news btw.

Her friend who's havin' an affair has a warped logic ha-ha. 'Cause there's no sex involved, therefore it's not an affair Ok LoL. Her plot was boring to me LoL. She kept pleading the guy to leave his wife despite bein' blase on it tsk.

The other friend who seem more like a ditz LoL. I think it's obvious she'd hook up with the restaurateur.

I laughed at Mi Jo when in her drunken state asked Seon Woo for a single Peony LoL. Then she was pretty straightforward when she asked him if he wanted to "sleep" with her. Koreans are getting creative huh LoL. First "Ramyun" then "Butterflies" now it's to "see peonies" oh boy LoL.

Chanyoung/Jinseok ... their affair is very subtle. There are clearly feelings involved, but both don't cross the line, and I don't mean having sex, but they just never push each other. It's a strange setup, that she is content to do nothing, even though she seems to be the "go getter" between the trio. She clearly likes being forward. I was hoping she would find some other guy, but seeing as there is nobody... slim chance. She's very hung up on him, and he just likes having her around. How many years has it been now? Move on woman!!!

Mijo/Seonwoo bores me. The start to their "relationship" was weird/awkward for me. from her being "cold" and not letting him grill the meat, to suddenly eating/drinking together. Also it was funny how no hair was out of place after she hooked up with him. Not sure if they actually slept together or even had a good kiss. :D

I don'T really like Mijo much, because the writer wrote some scenes I don't agree with. 

1) During the catfight, it was weird the writer made the choice for her two friends to end up bloody, but Mijo still looks Perfect Princess despite the altercation. 

2) When she shamed her sister for her hobby. It is a joke, but in poor taste for me. Her sister should feel free to do her hobby, it wasn't even a bad one. 

Joohee: doesn't really interest me right now, as the episode didn't focus on her. The actress has sometimes a very nasal voice. Ugh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, agenth said:

1) During the catfight, it was weird the writer made the choice for her two friends to end up bloody, but Mijo still looks Perfect Princess despite the altercation. 

2) When she shamed her sister for her hobby. It is a joke, but in poor taste for me. Her sister should feel free to do her hobby, it wasn't even a bad one. 

You are right! That was weird that she was the only one not bloody despite being the main person being accused by the lady, and was the first person whose hair was pulled. :joy:

Also I think the sister shaming is very real to life! I remember seeing singer Hong Jin Young and her sister in the variety show My Little Old Boy and Jin Young was always fat-shaming her sister. So it does happen, but yeah I guess for a drama like this it may not be too tasteful. 

Also can I just say I love all their apartments! The wide shots look incredible in showcasing the style of their homes. I especially like the look and layout of Seon Woo's house. It looks like something out of Pinterest! :love: 

• Like 2

@agenth

Ahahahah!!! My exact thoughts also! Why was Chan Young havin' a nosebleed for goodness sakes!? And yup as you pointed out, I wondered aloud too why is Mi Jo lookin' so perfect!??! Is it a requirement in her contract or does the writer have a bias for Ye Jin??

It's pretty obvious Jin Seok has feelings for Chan Young but is refusing to leave the wife for his son's sake Idk (shrug) 'cause he act so cold toward the wife tsk. 

I'm only finding Mi Jo the most interesting of the 3 to be honest ha-ha. The makeup friend is still well.. a ditz LoL. But after ep. 02 it's sad what's happening to Chan Young.. is that why she keep sleeping in so late? Or is that the nature of her job? Well then 'gain she drinks a LOT. That can't be good long term. 

I sort of thought Ye Jin look scary when she wailed upon finding the dreadful news on Chan Young 'cause her hair was covering her face LoL. 

I've read many who didn't feel the chemistry between Mi Jo & Seon Woo but I beg to differ LoL. I just think their banter is awkwardly funny for some reason. And the way they started technically the opposite of how people meet/date was interesting. 

Seon Woo's just a nice guy but sort of nerdy ha-ha? Like I think he was sweet to drive his adopted sis for dumpling soup. Wish my bro would do the same oh well sigh LoL.

I'm laughing @Chesleigh at the Pinterest observation LoL. His apartment really is aesthetic ain't it?

• Like 3