[Drama 2021] Shaman Girl Ga Doo Shim, 우수무당 가두심

agenth

https://zapzee.net/2021/08/04/how-did-the-great-shaman-ga-doo-shim-surpass-3-million-views-in-just-3-days/
How Did ‘The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim’ Surpass 3 Million Views in Just 3 Days?

by krishkim | images: KakaoTV

74E37D7F-CA06-4623-9B8A-D8A8E769DCD5.jpg

The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim is now at the center of attention satisfying the eyes and ears of viewers with its captivating story and striking development

In the first two episodes released on July 30th, 18-year-old girl Ga Doo Shim, who refuses to live as a shaman, transfers to a new school. And there, she faces mysterious deaths of students who are at the bottom of the class. Soon, The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim garnered 1 million views within 5 hours of its release and 3 million views within three days.

A girl fated to become a shaman teams up with a boy at the top of his class!

A5EAD0CC-C507-43C4-8D1C-A76520EABA98.jpg

Ga Do Shim is an 18-year-old girl who has a mysterious power to see and communicate with ghosts. Despite all that, she refuses to become a shaman, unlike her grandmother and mother did. Ten years ago, her grandmother had been attacked by a stranger while trying to save a student possessed by an evil spirit. Before she died, she left her last words to her granddaughter: “If you can get through the age of 18 safe and sound, then you’ll live the life you’ve always wanted.” Keeping her words in her heart, Ga prays to live a normal life one day.

However, the first day she transfers to a new school, Ga arrived at the classroom with blood on her face and a disheveled uniform after helping her mother deal with the rampaging spirit. To make matters worse, the same day, the student at the bottom of the class jumps off the roof and kills himself. Soon, Ga becomes the target of bullying by her classmates who doubt and dislike her, heralding a rocky path ahead of her.

Meanwhile, Wu Soo, the boy at the top of his class, looks at Ga with a fixed gaze as she walks into the classroom disheveled. And when she tries to run out of the classroom harassed by her peer, he holds her in his arms.

Will Ga safely get through the age of 18? Will she use her power to solve the mysterious case? What kind of relationship will she have with Wu Soo?

The realistic story makes the fantasy even more bitter

DA1B873C-263C-42CA-B3C1-A25EEBBCF91F.jpg

The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim is a fantasy drama featuring shamans and evil spirits. But at the same time, it also deals with extremely realistic social problems of favoring a student with good grades.

Songyoung High School, Ga’s new school, clearly shows this problem. The teachers evaluate the students with the belief that “No chance is given to the incompetents.” Rather than revealing the truth behind the mysterious deaths of students at the bottom of the class, some teachers only focus on covering up the incidents by calling it the result of personal matters.

The series maximizes the fun of the fantasy mystery genre with the evil spirits that only torment students who cannot study. Also, a school that favors students with good grades instills a sense of reality and wins sympathy from viewers.

Source (1)
Translator Kim Hoyeun: If you are a fan of K-drama, K-movie, and K-pop, I am your guy. I will continue to provide you with up-to-date K-entertainment news.

• Like 2

https://zapzee.net/2021/08/12/the-great-shaman-ga-doo-shim-nam-da-reum-panics-after-seeing-a-world-full-of-ghosts/
‘The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim’ Nam Da Reum Panics After Seeing a World Full of Ghosts

by krishkim

Will Nam Da Reum be able to adjust to the world full of ghosts?

C11E2DEC-CDD3-4142-84C8-469E668732AB.jpg
Credit: Kakao TV

Kakao TV original series The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim is a fantasy romance drama. Ga Doo Shim, a girl who was born with an unwanted fate of becoming a shaman, teams up with Na Wu Soo, a boy who willingly sees the ghosts, to uncover the secrets behind the mysterious incidents.

In the 3rd episode, Wu Soo was possessed by the spirit of Doo Shim’s grandmother. And slowly, his eyes started seeing the wandering souls, throwing him in chaos. Soon, he showed curiosity to Doo Shim, who is already used to the world full of spirits, and Doo Shim invited him to the world that she sees.

And as you can see from the still photos released today, Wu Soo’s panic seems to continue in the upcoming episode. Wu Soo, who expressed both curiosity and fear for Doo Shim’s world, now can’t keep his mouth shut.

In one of the photos, Wu Soo is surrounded by ghosts up to his neck while riding the bus alone. All his life, he has been a perfect model student with good grades and looks. But now, he’s engulfed in fear as the “ghost rush” continues. Will he be able to overcome the biggest crisis of his life?

Next to panicking Wu Soo is chic Doo Shim, who is already so used to seeing ghosts. The clear contrast between the two raises curiosity as to how their partnership will turn out to be.

Meanwhile, The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim will air as a 12-part series. About 20 minutes long, each episode will be released every Friday at 8 PM KST.

Source (1)
Translator Kim Hoyeun: If you are a fan of K-drama, K-movie, and K-pop, I am your guy. I will continue to provide you with up-to-date K-entertainment news. 

Woo Soo hugging Doo Shim once more but as himself not possessed as before. He's such a cutie. 

Shocked he asked Doo Shim if she wanted to drink Soju. I mean do they serve alcohol to minors in South Korea? 

Ugh that annoying girl keep bugging our otp. Move on sweetie Woo Soo don't like you! 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Oh WoW this thread is so.. dead no pun intended LoL. 

Our dear sweet Woo Soo is whipped for Doo Shim eheh. To the point he's consulting his "new friends" for love advise LoL! 

Soo Jong that witch sureee that's how you'd win a guy over by threatening him tsk. 

• Like 2

https://zapzee.net/2021/08/25/k-drama-review-the-great-shaman-ga-doo-shim-a-high-school-exorcism-series-with-a-spice-of-romance/
[K-Drama Review] ‘The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim’: A High School Exorcism Series with a Spice of Romance

by Eunkyung Cho | Edited by Hong Hyun Jung | Translated by Cho EK | images: Kakao Entertainment

spacer.png

It is nice to see a cheerful and brave female hero figure. Here, we are talking about Ga Doo Shim, who was born with an unwanted fate. Although she wished to live a normal life, she has inherited a mysterious power from her grandmother, Myo Shim, to fight evil spirits. The Kakao TV original drama The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim tells the story of Doo Shim, who wants to escape from her destiny. Yet, she encounters an evil spirit that haunts students at her new school.

Song Yeong High, a prestigious school that snares Doo Shim into an irresistible fate, is rumored to be haunted and the students who achieve the lowest grade are said to have been cursed to commit suicide. Doo Shim witnesses the student with the lowest grades jumping off the rooftop from the first day at her new school. However, she is not interested in the tragic case, the school trying to cover up and minimize the incident, or her classmate’s suspecting eyes pinned on her.

When her grandmother died, her last words to her were, “If you safely turn eighteen, you will live a happy life.” Doo Shim, who took her grandmother’s last words to heart, is determined to survive the age of 18 without any trouble. Moreover, with the label of ‘a shaman’s daughter’ that followed her, she wants to keep her profile low as much as possible in her new school.

Doo Shim, who wants to brush her abilities under the carpet, strangely resembles Ahn Eun Young, a school nurse who saves the students by hunting “jellies” with a tired look on her face. Although Ahn accepted her fate, she did not like it. So, it’s likely that Ahn must have spent her school days working hard to become an ordinary student as Doo Shim does now. The two are, in a way, in the same boat because they both see their extraordinary abilities as obstacles in living their normal lives rather than positively accepting them. In addition, the two characters witness paranormal activities at the school that haunts students, and they get to meet an assistant who boosts their abilities.

The schools in the films and dramas, including those in the Whispering Corridor franchise, have always revealed glaring inequalities in our society. The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim tells its story in the same vein. Under the setting of the school where the students with the lowest grades commit suicide, the drama series blatantly criticizes the social environment that prioritizes academic achievements over anything else. Thus in this drama, the teenagers in the fierce “college admissions war” stand against the system created by adults and flips the narrative in their point of view.

spacer.png

It seems like Kim Sae Ron has met the best role ever on the 13th year of her debut after her first and most memorable work, The Man from Nowhere. She pulled off her cynical character Doo Shim, who stays cold and indifferent to everyone around her to hide her hidden wounds and secret abilities. It is impressive to see the moment when Doo Shim invites Woo Soo to her world of spirits, saying, “Welcome to my world.” Not to mention her enlightening choice of breaking free of playing dark characters, her as a lively teenage character makes us wonder and look forward to seeing her future activities.

Nam Da Reum, a former child actor like Kim Sae Ron, also supports the series with his stable acting skills. He played Woo Soo, a model student who meets Doo Shim and opens his eyes to a new world. As a squared away student, he creates remarkable chemistry with Kim Sae Ron. When Woo Soo, who unintentionally hugged Doo Shim after being possessed by Myo Shim, started seeing ghosts, he embraces her once again. And he goes, “I’ll only take the memories,” making the viewers’ hearts fluttered just like Doo Shim’s.

The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim is a mid-form drama that runs about 20 minutes per episode. Its running time isn’t long enough to fully unfold the story in-depth, but it’s a good light series to watch. The drama’s theme, which combines high school exorcism with a bit of a romance, is fresh to watch. Plus, the process of two characters getting along and the mystery behind the evil spirit in Song Young High School unravels intriguingly. Since the episodes stay short and concise, the show is fast and easy to follow. 

Doo Shim and Woo Soo, who now sees the same world, will fight against the evil spirits dwelling in the school, starting with stopping the crisis heading its way toward their friend, Il Nam. We wonder how the two will tackle the principal, who has made a deal with an evil existence for the sake of the school’s reputation. And we can’t wait to see if Doo Shim would be able to safely turn eighteen in the future.

Verdict: An enjoyable drama with a novel theme and great actors. (6/10)

Edited Hong Hyun Jung: I am a K-content guide who publishes various articles for people to enjoy Korean movies and dramas deeper and richer. I’ll introduce you to the works that you can laugh, cry and sympathize with.
Translator Cho EK: I’m a big fan of Korean dramas and movies

• Like 2

High school dramas usually aren't my thing. Ghost stories are my love.

But I'm loving the lead dynamic so much in this drama. I'm so tired of seeing cold-hearted MLs. It's nice to see someone like Na Woo Soo who says that Doo Shim is his only future. Even though it is a fairy-tale like love at first sight thing, I like it when men are expressive and compassionate.

Loved that Woo Soo was a girl in his previous life hahaha. Cute

Episodes are way too short...

-----

Episode 7

I cannot believe that parents are so callous as to not care for kids who die. I know that competition is tough and I am from a place where grades are everything. Yes, there is a lot of bias and praising for kids with higher grades. But not worrying even if they die. That's is just way too much.