[Drama 2021] Happiness, 해피니스- Han Hyo-Joo, Park Hyung Sik & Joo Wo Jin

larus

16 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

Then again...at the end of 4, they are barricading the doors so the infected don't break in, so...I don't know what the logic is.

:lol: I saw that too.  I think zombies can bulldoze through (they seem to want to just break through the barrier) so maybe the barricading is to provide leverage against them barging in.  I went back to watch the cadet scene in Ep1 and SB just closed the door behind her and didn’t do anything else.  The zombie cadet proceeded to just head butt the window in the door and didn’t open it by turning the handles so it does look like they are capable of bashing through things (they don’t seem to feel much pain) but they don’t have the manual dexterity to turn knobs.

I’ve given up trying to rationalize SB’s actions and just taken YH’s route when it comes to her - accepting her as she is.  She’s impulsive, in the moment, unpredictable.  Which in a way is a bonus during these extreme pandemic apocalypse type situations.  Because you just deal with what’s in front of you and don’t overthink.  Make the best of it.  I think that’s how she’s learnt to cope in the past.  Her parents are fighting?  Well just get out of there.  No point getting all upset or depressed about it.  Just figure out how to deal with the situation at hand.  Everyone stuck at school because some random boy is threatening to jump?  Well just head on up there and fix it.  Even if it meant shoving him off the building to speed up the process.  Live day by day. Moment by moment.  She’s a survivor.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

6 hours ago, frozentundra said:

If zombie wife wasn't able to get out of the unlocked bathroom herself, then maybe SB thought she wouldn't escape into the rest of the apartment building? After all...we saw the husband out and about (with his mistress, even), so what was keeping zombie wife inside? 

Then again...at the end of 4, they are barricading the doors so the infected don't break in, so...I don't know what the logic is.

I did love the picnic on the rooftop, though! 

Apparently the zombies are not able to open doors?

• Like 1

Watch: Han Hyo Joo, Park Hyung Sik, And More Overcome Summer Heat With Lots Of Laughs While Filming “Happiness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 14, 2021
by S. Cho

The latest “Happiness” making-of video goes behind the scenes of Episodes 3 and 4!

tvN’s “Happiness” is a new apocalyptic urban thriller set in the near future, inside an apartment building that is stratified by social standing. The high-rise building is sealed off when a new infectious disease emerges, and the drama depicts the fear, psychological battles, and desperate struggles for survival that ensue.

At the start of the clip, the cast is filming in the peak summer heat. As Han Hyo Joo and Park Hyung Sik discuss their exact movements for a scene, the director gives them detailed advice. From the side, Lee Kyu Hyung shyly comments, “Can I get some directing too?…” The director responds with a laugh, “Get overpowered, but safely.” Park Hyung Sik also comments on the hot weather and adds, “It’s even hotter due to the actors’ passion.”

In the next scene, Han Hyo Joo is snacking on hard-boiled eggs while chatting with Park Hyung Sik. Park Hyung Sik comments with a laugh, “I thought you’d be eating them little by little.” Han Hyo Joo responds, “I ate one full egg already!” As she realizes how much filming they have left, she remarks, “I’m regretting it,” then dives back into peeling the eggs.

Later, while delivering her line, Han Hyo Joo chokes on the egg, causing her to start giggling. She adds, “People need to make good decisions,” while Park Hyung Sik jokes, “This has turned into torture.” Han Hyo Joo stays firm and explains, “But chips are no fun. You have to talk with your mouth full for it to be fun. Right, director?”

Given the nature of the drama, the two actors start their mandatory stretching before rehearsals. They then film a sweet embrace as Baek Hyun Jin escapes behind them. Park Hyung Sik struggles to hold in his laughter as he exclaims, “This is funny!”

During rehearsals for a later scene, Bae Hae Sun practices her English pronunciation. Although Park Hyung Sik and Han Hyo Joo initially crack up at her improvisations, after filming a confrontation with the actress, Park Hyung Sik adorably cries out, “I’m scared…”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1498575wpp/watch-han-hyo-joo-park-hyung-sik-and-more-overcome-summer-heat-with-lots-of-laughs-while-filming-happiness

• Like 2

@frozentundra

Dude you iron your underwear ha-ha!??! Wth why LMFAo??

I'm laughing hard at your rationalisation of zombie actions and so forth when I don't really care LoL? I am that kind of viewer that just watches (for entertainment) without really goin' all Sherlock into it. Maybe that's why I don't understand movies like Inception or Interstellar ha-ha. 

• Like 2

Happiness: Episode 3

by quirkycase

Happiness03-00445.jpg

At the idyllic apartment complex, things are not entirely what they seem. Strange noises and shifty neighbors continue to raise our leads’ suspicions, especially in the face of the growing threat of this new sickness. Our brazen police couple decides to take matters into their own hands and find out what’s really happening at the place they now call home.

EPISODE 3 RECAP

Yi-hyun, Tae-seok, and Jung-kook make their way to the quarantine site. Jung-kook stays outside while Tae-seok and Yi-hyun rush in with guns blazing. Out back, Sae-bom watches the soldiers struggle to close the container doors.

She suddenly rushes forward, saying she needs to get Seung-young out. Sae-bom pushes past the soldiers and Ji-soo to open the doors. She forces the zombies back with a metal bar like a badass and somehow manages to grab Seung-young in the chaos. But the zombies have a hold on them both, and she can’t break free.

Right as the soldiers close the doors of the container with Sae-bom inside, Yi-hyun appears. He throws the soldiers back and yanks the doors open. Yi-hyun grabs Sae-bom, pulling her back while she pulls Seung-young.

Once they’re out, Yi-hyun throws a flash grenade he got from a soldier into the container. The zombies fall back, letting the soldiers shut the doors.

Later, Sae-bom checks on Seung-young who’s seemingly okay. He apologizes for his recklessness and worries about his family if he turns like the others. In the hall, Sae-bom tells Ji-soo she’s disappointed in her (for letting them close the doors with Seung-young inside).

Yi-hyun is also angry at the disregard of humanity and confronts Tae-seok about keeping the zombies locked away waiting to die. Tae-seok argues they’re doing their best to help those with mild symptoms and isolate those wisevThat’s not enough for Yi-hyun who wonders if Tae-seok could be so cruel were the patients his own family. Tae-seok is focused on the bigger picture and believes group survival is more important than an individual life.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/11/happiness-episode-3/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Dude you iron your underwear ha-ha!??! Wth why LMFAo??

Lol, I certainly don't, but when I lived in Germany, people would at least joke about that. Maybe in past generations, this kind of grumpy old man would demand such things of his wife. (I doubt today anyone would put up with that!) In any case, real or imagined, this is that guy! :D 

On 11/15/2021 at 7:33 AM, nrllee said:

:lol: I saw that too.  I think zombies can bulldoze through (they seem to want to just break through the barrier) so maybe the barricading is to provide leverage against them barging in.  I went back to watch the cadet scene in Ep1 and SB just closed the door behind her and didn’t do anything else.  The zombie cadet proceeded to just head butt the window in the door and didn’t open it by turning the handles so it does look like they are capable of bashing through things (they don’t seem to feel much pain) but they don’t have the manual dexterity to turn knobs.

I’ve given up trying to rationalize SB’s actions and just taken YH’s route when it comes to her - accepting her as she is.  She’s impulsive, in the moment, unpredictable.  Which in a way is a bonus during these extreme pandemic apocalypse type situations.  Because you just deal with what’s in front of you and don’t overthink.  Make the best of it.  I think that’s how she’s learnt to cope in the past.  Her parents are fighting?  Well just get out of there.  No point getting all upset or depressed about it.  Just figure out how to deal with the situation at hand.  Everyone stuck at school because some random boy is threatening to jump?  Well just head on up there and fix it.  Even if it meant shoving him off the building to speed up the process.  Live day by day. Moment by moment.  She’s a survivor.

The female lead is so stupid. It's also stupid to get into a truck full of zombies, but aside from that, if she hadn't released the zombie woman who was locked in the shower. Because the man was going to call. If she hadn't done this stupid thing, the apartment wouldn't have been quarantined. Making such simple mistakes makes the leading lady look so dumb. I think there is a difference between bravery and stupidity. People can be both cunning and brave. Park Hyun sik's character is smarter and he always saved the lead woman otherwise  she had already been bitten and died by now. I hope they kill the zombies without mercy next week. As far as I can see in the trailer, they will finally think rationally and shoot the zombies without mercy.  

I understand her reasons, she takes action not to be afraid, but she should act wisely by thinking a little more. She was supposed to be bitten and dead when she got into the zombie truck. The screenwriters have written some unreasonable parts in the series to keep the tension high. Other than that, I have no criticism. The series is gripping so far.

• Like 1

Park Hyung Sik And Han Hyo Joo Display Laser Focus Behind The Scenes Of “Happiness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 16, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s new drama “Happiness” has shared a behind-the-scenes glimpse of its starring cast!

“Happiness” is an apocalyptic thriller that takes place in the near future, set in a high-rise apartment building stratified by social standing. The building is sealed off when a new infectious disease emerges in the city, and the drama depicts the residents’ fear, fierce psychological battles, and desperate struggle for survival within the closed-off building.

Han Hyo Joo stars in the drama as Yoon Sae Bom, a tactical agent in the Seoul Police Special Operations Unit, while Park Hyung Sik stars as detective Jung Yi Hyun, her former high school classmate who has feelings for her. Jo Woo Jin plays Han Tae Suk of the Armed Forces Medical Command, the man in charge of tracking down the cause of the disease and stopping its spread.

In the new behind-the-scenes photos, all three stars show off their passion and professionalism as they concentrate on filming. When the cameras aren’t rolling, Han Hyo Joo’s script never seems to leave her hand for a moment, and the actress carefully pores over each scene before jumping into acting.

Meanwhile, even off-camera, Park Hyung Sik exudes the quiet strength of his character. The sharp glint in his eyes and the steadiness of his gaze reveal just how completely he’s immersed himself in his role.

Han-Hyo-Joo2.jpeg

Spoiler

Han-Hyo-Joo-2.jpeg

Park-Hyung-Sik2.jpeg

Park-Hyung-Sik-2.jpeg

Finally, Jo Woo Jin also exhibits impressive focus and poise as he prepares to shoot his intense scene with the chairman of the pharmaceutical company that distributed NEXT—a scene that left a strong impression on viewers. Even before the cameras start filming, Jo Woo Jin levels his co-star with an intimidating gaze as he gets into character.

The producers of “Happiness” commented, “The passionate acting of Han Hyo Joo, Park Hyung Sik, Jo Woo Jin, and the rest of the cast is the force that brings our unique city thriller to life.”

They went on to tease, “Fear breeds selfishness and gives rise to new dangers. Please keep an eye on the changes and choices people make as they are swept up in a whirlwind of danger.”

Spoiler

Jo-Woo-Jin2.jpeg

“Happiness” airs on Fridays and Saturdays at 10:40 p.m. KST.

In the meantime, catch up on previous episodes of the drama with subtitles below!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1498911wpp/park-hyung-sik-and-han-hyo-joo-display-laser-focus-behind-the-scenes-of-happiness

• Awesome 2

5 hours ago, Selin Eroğlu said:

if she hadn't released the zombie woman who was locked in the shower. Because the man was going to call. If she hadn't done this stupid thing, the apartment wouldn't have been quarantined.

I don’t think it was just the release of the doctor’s wife that triggered the lockdown of the apartment complex.  HTS told SB that he questioned the gym trainer and found out that he sold the drug to a number of people from the complex (and the doctor’s wife was one of them).  So potentially quite a number of others would develop symptoms soon.  My impression was that that was what triggered the lockdown.   I think HTS probably also hunted down (contact tracing) and quarantined everyone (somewhere else (?)) who went to work that day eg the little girl’s parents.  That’s probably why they couldn’t get back into the complex and left the little girl in the care of SB.  Only people who happened to be there whilst they were in the process of locking the complex down eg the old man and the writer’s brother were allowed into the complex from the outside.  

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

Happiness: Episode 4

by quirkycase

Happiness04-00343.jpg

The residents and unfortunate visitors to the complex realize they’re trapped. Some deal with the news better than others, but it’s up to our police trio and a certain representative to foster a sense of calm. Our leads do their best to keep everyone safe, but it’s only a matter of time before things take a turn for the worse.

EPISODE 4 RECAP

Happiness04-00011.jpg

We jump back to Yi-hyun’s arrest of Joo-hyung. Yi-hyun asks Sang-hee to come to the station to give a statement, but she says she’s too shaken up. She just wants to pack her things and leave. As soon as Yi-hyun walks out, she rushes to the bedroom like she’s looking for something.

Not knowing about the lockdown, Yi-hyun is confused when Sae-bom calls and says she’s locked in. The second he walks out of the elevator, Sae-bom grabs him in a hug, relieved not to be alone. Joo-hyung runs off in his handcuffs, although we know he can’t go anywhere.

Meanwhile, Jung-kook drops off an order of rice cakes at Seo-yoon’s apartment. She sees his gun holster and guesses he’s a cop. He says he’s a friend of Yi-hyun’s and came to catch a bad guy. Seo-yoon wants to see his gun, but Jung-kook argues it’s too dangerous; he’s never even used it.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/11/happiness-episode-4/

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

Watch: Park Hyung Sik And Han Hyo Joo Crack Up While Rehearsing Sweet Scenes On Set Of “Happiness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 17, 2021
by L. Kim

tvN’s “Happiness” has shared a new behind-the-scenes look!

tvN’s “Happiness” is a new apocalyptic urban thriller set in the near future, inside an apartment building that is stratified by social standing. The high-rise building is sealed off when a new infectious disease emerges, and the drama depicts the fear, psychological battles, and desperate struggles for survival that ensue.

At the start of the clip, Han Hyo Joo appears in a lovely blue dress, which is very different from her usual style in the drama. Park Hyung Sik spots her, and his eyes grow round as he exclaims in awe, “Whoa!” Then he jokes, “Why isn’t everybody clapping?” Han Hyo Joo can’t stop laughing at his reaction, and when one of the staff member points out they can’t believe Yoon Sae Bom (Han Hyo Joo’s character) has a dress like that in her closet, she quips, “She probably searched long and hard for it.”

Then the two actors go over the scene with the director. Han Hyo Joo says her line, which is “Do I look okay?” When Park Hyung Sik answers without looking at her, she kicks him from behind, making him yelp out loud. Han Hyo Joo can’t help but laugh, and Park Hyung Sik holds in his laughter as he stands up and says, “Yeah. You’re really pretty. It’s really new.”

Han Hyo Joo and Park Hyung Sik practice the scene where they’re calling the parents of Jung Yi Hyun (Park Hyung Sik’s character) and become fascinated by the video that was recorded beforehand. Han Hyo Joo bursts into laughter as she says, “Hello, father! I’m Yoon Sae Bom.” She then looks at Park Hyung Sik and asks, “So this is your father?” Once the video ends, Han Hyo Joo jokes, “Your father looks very familiar.”

happiness-1-1.jpg

The clip also shows Park Hyung Sik’s bromance with Jo Woo Jin. Although the two are on odd terms in the drama, they’re close in real life. The actors examine the photos they took, and Park Hyung Sik comments they really came out well. Jo Woo Jin says, “They use photos like these for [the end], you know? When ‘Happiness’ ends and the ballad song comes out, those photos appear like bam, bam, bam!” Park Hyung Sik chuckles at his proud expression and expresses how much he likes the pictures as well.

happiness-25.jpg

Towards the end of the video, Han Hyo Joo and Park Hyung Sik are spotted stretching during breaktime. The two are perfectly synchronized as showcase their flexibility. The actress spots the making-of video and ducks her head in embarrassment, and her co-star comments, “I’m purposely not looking ahead.” Han Hyo Joo explains, “We were standing for kind of a long time today.” Park Hyung Sik continues to copy Han Hyo Joo’s stretches, and she kindly helps him do the right pose.

Spoiler

https://www.soompi.com/article/1499053wpp/watch-park-hyung-sik-and-han-hyo-joo-crack-up-while-rehearsing-sweet-scenes-on-set-of-happiness

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice write-up about Happiness in the South China Morning Post: 

K-drama Happiness: Han Hyo-joo makes formidable return to TV in focused zombie series

Happiness is a relatively easy-going story with doses of drama and comedy in its first four episodes, while Han exudes grace and grit in the lead role

Gore hounds after a zombie fix will have to adjust their expectations – the series concentrates more on establishing social dynamics than shocking scenes

c9eb6f02-9ca8-4d1b-a2dc-b159cc535670_20a

See the following link for article: https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-drama/article/3156327/k-drama-happiness-han-hyo-joo-makes-formidable-return-tv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Park Hyung Sik And Han Hyo Joo Lead The Way To Obtain Supplies For The Lockdown In “Happiness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 19, 2021
by L. Kim

The next episode of “Happiness” will be filled with suspense!

“Happiness” is an apocalyptic urban thriller set in the near future inside an apartment building that is stratified by social standing. The high-rise apartment is sealed off when a new infectious disease emerges, and the drama depicts the fear, psychological battles, and desperate struggles for survival that ensue.

The drama stars Han Hyo Joo and Park Hyung Sik as long-time friends and elite police officers who get caught up in the chaos, and Jo Woo Jin as the man from the Armed Forces Medical Command in charge of finding the cause of the disease and stopping its spread.

Spoilers

Previously on “Happiness,” Yoon Sae Bom (Han Hyo Joo) and Jung Yi Hyun (Park Hyung Sik) helped the apartment residents deal with the lockdown. The residents had no idea how serious the matter was and only carried out their own selfish needs. However, they started to realize the grave situation as their neighbors became infected with the disease. The upcoming episode will depict Yoon Sae Bom and Jung Yi Hyun leading the way to survival.

Newly released stills show Yoon Sae Bom and Jung Yi Hyun heading outside. They’re completely armed just in case they’ll be attacked by infected patients. The quiet landscape with no people in sight hints that this is just the calm before the storm.

Spoiler

happiness-35.jpg

happiness-26.jpg

happiness-16.jpg

In addition, people head into the mart to buy stock up on food. Yoon Sae Bom and Jung Yi Hyun sense something strange, and tension escalates as they attempt to head back into the building. Will they be able to return safely to their apartment?

happiness-61.jpg

Spoiler

happiness-45.jpg

happiness-51.jpg

The drama’s producers teased, “The [apartment] residents, who realized the seriousness [of the situation] after seeing the pandemonium, will start to change. Please watch what choices the people, whose lives feel threatened, will make to survive. Viewers will experience a different kind of fear of infectious diseases.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1499362wpp/park-hyung-sik-and-han-hyo-joo-lead-the-way-to-obtain-supplies-for-the-lockdown-in-happiness

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 Lessons From Episodes 3-4 Of “Happiness” That Had Us Thinking About Humanity

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 19, 2021
by shalini

The weekend just got a lot more eerie with “Happiness” on the scene. Having a drama about a rampaging killer virus seemed slightly overkill given that the world has just barely begun to recover from one, but what sets “Happiness” off from contemporary news events (other than the vampirism/zombie bit) is its lack of focus on the virus itself. Humanity is positioned front and center as the Next pill starts to trigger a familiar reaction along class divides across the Seyang Forest Le Ciel Apartments, and our leads start to question just what it means to be human and humane.

Here are five lessons from this week’s episodes that had us ruminating on humanity.

Warning: spoilers for episodes 3-4 below.

1. Leave no one behind

cd5824a610a013154889b209a97c619bc08c161a

We start off with a crisis as Yoon Sae Bom (Han Hyo Joo) races off to rescue Lee Seung Yong (Lee Kyu Hyung) from the storage truck stuffed with severe infectees. Despite witnessing her longtime friend succumb to the virus’s symptoms, Sae Bom wades into the fray and attempts to pull him out of the truck. But the other hungry infectees rally around her, eager for blood. It’s frankly a wonder that she isn’t eaten. Still, as she’s clawed back inside the truck, the soldiers around her give up and seal her inside the truck with at least 30 people ready to kill her.

There’s a heart-stopping moment where it seems that all is lost for Sae Bom when the truck doors screech open and a grim-faced Jung Yi Hyun (Park Hyung Sik) pulls Sae Bom and Seung Yong out.

Crisis averted, Sae Bom only has one thing to say to Lee Ji Soo (Park Joo Hee): that she’s disappointed. It’s hard not to see why. During Sae Bom’s brief period of quarantine and testing, she grew to genuinely like the female lieutenant, even bringing her some of the rice cake Kim Jung Kook (Lee Joon Hyuk) gifted them (which Han Tae Seok (Jo Woo Jin) definitely didn’t get). Ji Soo explains that five of her fellow soldiers tried stunts as Sae Bom did, only they didn’t live to tell the tale. What else was she supposed to do?

It’s an understandable position but also speaks to the sort of moral dichotomy the show advances between people like Yi Hyun and Sae Bom and people like Han Tae Seok and Ji Soo. When does practicality and focusing on the greater good result turn into a lack of humanity? When does being humane and caring and not wanting to leave a friend behind cross the line into naivete and stupidity? Sae Bom and Yi Hyun think they’re on the right side when they respectively berate Ji Soo and Tae Seok, but they’ll soon be undergoing a serious reevaluation.

2. People are the worst: a tale of two doctors and one receptionist

The tenants of apartment 601 have always been a little suspicious, not in the least because they keep making a racket at unholy hours, but Yi Hyun starts to suspect foul play when he notes the blood on Oh Joo Hyeong’s (Baek Hyun Jin) sleeve. His wife thinks along the same lines, because when the banging pushes her past the point of exasperation, she heads upstairs determined to get to the bottom of this and quickly finds that Joo Hyeong’s wife Park Min Ji (Baek Joo Hee) has been infected. And that Joo Hyeong is a garbage can.

He pushes her into the bathroom with his murderous wife, forcing Sae Bom to lock herself in the shower. But Min Ji isn’t at all interested in her, as her focus is rather entirely on her definitely adulterous husband. So when Sae Bom takes a risk and unlocks the shower door long enough to give Min Ji a clear path to her husband, she is more than happy to chase after him. Yi Hyun joins that queue himself after finding out that Joo Hyeong almost killed Sae Bom.

82e572a3a8bc9b31896f10da8d07a81ef44a45a4

Min Ji is rapidly subdued and carted off by Tae Seok and Ji Soo. However, the full picture starts to emerge, and it gets really ugly, really fast. Turns out that not only was Joo Hyeong cheating on Min Ji but that he almost killed her. He beat her, nearly to death with a gold club, scrambling her brain. However, Min Ji was on the Next pill and transformed before he could finish the job. The virus was all that was keeping her alive when she should have died of brain damage and blood loss. It’s a horrific picture, and Yi Hyun is almost apoplectic when he arrests Joo Hyeong, but his mistress Woo Sang Hee’s (Moon Ye Won) shifty behavior indicates that Joo Hyeong might not be the only culprit. All in all, it paints an awful picture of humanity and greed where the virus actually does some good because there would have been no justice without it.

3. But people can be more than what they seem

Ji Sung Sil (Lee Joo Shil), the elderly lady in apartment 302, seems at first like the classic 60s wife. Her husband Kim Hak Je (Hong Soon Chang) grumbles at her to make dinner, and her brainless son treats her like garbage while trying to make a living as a streamer by providing terrible financial advice and exploiting other people’s misery. Sung Sil asks for a hamburger only for Hak Je to shoot her down immediately telling her to have rice and not bread. It’s easy to feel sorry for her as she tries to get a word in with her husband and her son. But all is not what it seems. Not her son (who truly is disgusting), but Hak Je makes an effort to head to a burger place and figure out how to operate a self-serve machine. He fails and returns with more of a sandwich than a burger, acting all grumpy when Sung Sil points it out. But contrary to how he appears, he truly seems to love his wife, even if he is crochety at times. When the building is locked down as he returns, he insists on returning to his wife, despite it meaning that he’ll be locked in.

It’s a nuanced take on characters that could seem one-note, and this show deserves praise for taking the time to build its supporting characters instead of using them as a vehicle for the main characters’ romance or personal growth.

4. Anything goes in times of vampirism

Spoiler

c6bb1b79edd38f37f841941a171169ed80f87b45

silvertons

“Happiness” for all its intense subject material is all about the small moments. One such understated conversation is when Sae Bom goes on a grocery spree after a nationwide emergency is declared on account of the virus. She’s surprised to see that no one else is frantically hoarding groceries, but Lee Bo Ram (Han Da Sol), the cashier, sighs that emergency texts are a dime a dozen these days. For a seemingly throwaway line, it indicates much of how numb people are after back-to-back viruses. Death is a looming specter every day to the point that they’ve gotten used to coexisting with it. A national emergency is no longer a cause for panic but merely another day. It isn’t until they visibly see just how bad that death could be that the residents start to panic buy.

At this point, all laws and ethics (and rationality) fly out of the window. Sae Bom and Yi Hyun suddenly become the enforcers of Building 101 as the other buildings vote to shut them out of their meetings because their building had the first known case with Min Ji. Casual existence suddenly turns apocalyptic the second an entire building is locked down for seven days with a potential unknown terror within. Sae Bom and Yi Hyun’s ideas of humane behavior and morality evaporate in the face of a single immediate goal: survival.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1498751wpp/5-lessons-from-episodes-3-4-of-happiness-that-had-us-thinking-about-humanity

Edited by ferily
Maximum 3 images/gifs per post. Please put rest in spoiler tag. Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

Ju Hyung is pure e-v-i-l. Playin' "Squid Game" with the residents' lives like that. His side chick is cheap af for seducing the lawyer tsk. Birds of a feather. I'm so glad that Yi Hyun scared him though he still didn't show remorse (in next ep. preview)

I am also lovin' how supportive both Sae Bom/Yi Hyun are of e/o. In times like theirs.. havin' someone on your corner is enough to power through anythin'. 

I just wanted to shove all the residents in the apartment complex out to be honest LoL. Annoying af. 

Andrew survived the mart incident LoL. I'm surprised Sae Bom hasn't interrogated him yet. 

Tae Seok is using the scare and shock method which is incredibly risky but with morons like those in this drama I can't say I blame him.

• Like 5

Every episode, there is some character I hate worse, lol. But I have to agree, Ju Hyung is an evil slimy tick. HATE him! And some of the others are incredibly stupid or greedy or both. That poor halmoni knows she's got it, she's trying to talk to her family, and her husband just whines and her kid runs off trying to be an internet sensation.  Every time someone takes a drink, I'm like...you too, huh? And Ju Hyung, his side chick, and the lawyer all deserve to be stuck in the same room together, they are awful people. 

I continue to love Sae Bom's feisty character, although the characters I am most similar to are Yi Hyung and Seo Yoon. While I find Han Tae Seok interesting, and recognize he is in an impossible situation with no good answers,  for me he is in many ways difficult to relate to. His outlook is, sacrifice anyone for the greater goal, and Yi Hyung's is, save everyone you can. But of course we still have half the drama to go, and who knows how things will look this time tomorrow. 

TVN really, really should have sold this to Netflix instead of holding it back on TVING. It's very well written and it's just similar enough to the current pandemic that it's really unnerving. It's a bit cathartic and makes you feel seen, you know? I think on some level, most people can relate. I've been checking Korean responses on DC Inside and it's spreading by word of mouth, people are into it. It seems like something that would do really well internationally, too. 

Also, completely unrelated to anything else, but the cleaner guy looks uncannily like Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) of the 1971 version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

“The Red Sleeve” And “Happiness” Reach New Ratings Highs As “Now We Are Breaking Up” Remains No. 1

Over on cable, tvN’s “Happiness” rose to an average nationwide rating of 3.5 percent for its fifth episode. The apocalyptic thriller starring Park Hyung Sik and Han Hyo Joo also achieved its highest ratings to date in the Seoul metropolitan area, where it earned an average rating of 4.2 percent for the night. Additionally, “Happiness” continued to take first place in its time slot across all cable channels among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 2.3 percent

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/the-red-sleeve-and-happiness-reach-new-ratings-highs-as-now-we-are-breaking-up-remains-no-1/#ixzz7CipnCjqV

• Thanks 1