[Drama 2021] Happiness, 해피니스- Han Hyo-Joo, Park Hyung Sik & Joo Wo Jin

larus

Well, that's certainly one way to get your crush's attention ha-ha! Instead of gettin' someone suicidal off the ledge you simply push him off LMFAo! 

I was creeped out when I watched "Train To Busan" this was no different. Ironically this is titled "Happiness" LoL. 

I like Sae Bom's no nonsense attitude. I was real worried that she'd turn into a zombie but hey she's the female lead character so she's got lead character immunity ha-ha. When will she say yes to being Yi Hyun's girlfriend btw eh LoL?!

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

I'm a bit put off by the FL - i did  not like when she pushed him down the building. Her character reminded me too much of the FL in My Sassy Girl and in these times, that's problematic and not pretty. 

It's a bit strange to watch these weird happenings in the case, yet our two leads are calm and collected - apart from the occasional bout of anger on the side of FL. That has been described as their - or at least her character in profile, though. I do hope that she will lose some of her unflappable smart-aleck nature.

And I desperately hope they aren't going to introduce fake dating/marrying for the sake of her getting a better apartment. Because there is no sense to that. 

I like how the COVID elements hae been introduced in this drama, surprisingly it did not put me off. And how people are being more careful as a result, as they don't know how this infection has developed. But there must have been a Patient X - considering the military approach, who seem to be a step ahead. 

It's weird, though how the police and SOU handle this case. In the first victim who died, the biter had blood all over his mouth, yet the cops were asking aboutz the murder weapon, and as if they had to let the biter go, if they couldn't find the weapon. They found this dude in a blood-spilled room with the dead body - what more do you need to jumpstart an investigation?

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

I loved the female lead. A lot of times I'll read a character description for a new drama and it sounds like the FL is cool, only when the drama actually starts, she forgets all the cool skills she supposedly has, and just stands around waiting for someone else to do something.  Yoon Sae Bom has skills and isn't afraid to use them. She's also just a little tiny bit crazy, lol. But I know this actress well, and that she usually brings a certain quality of depth and warmth (and sometimes even sadness) to a character, too, so script providing, I think this will turn out to be an interesting character. 

Not usually a fan of zombies (just the mere trailer for Train to Busan was enough for me), but it looks like there is light and humor in this as well, so I'm in. :)

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

I've only watched one episode and so far I'm loving it.

I love that PHS is a bit fatter now and it makes him super super adorable. I'm already loving the chemistry between the main leads but I'm really interested in the plot. The chemistry does bring so much "happiness" but the plot. It's delicious. The ironic name behind the tv series brings up lots of questions. Has anyone watched The Doctor? In that there is this one episode where it's set in the future and where people are taking pills to feel "happy", "sad", "excited" and so on. And the pill here along with the name of the drama reminded me of that so much.

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

Watch: Park Hyung Sik, Han Hyo Joo, And Jo Woo Jin Talk About Their Chemistry Behind The Scenes Of “Happiness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 7, 2021
by S. P

The main cast of TVING’s new original drama “Happiness” spoke about their teamwork and enjoyed moments of laughter behind the scenes of the drama!

Set in the near future, “Happiness” is an apocalyptic urban thriller that takes place in an apartment that is stratified by social standing. The high-rise apartment is sealed off when a new infectious disease emerges, and the drama depicts the fear, psychological battles, and desperate struggles for survival that ensue.

The video begins with Han Hyo Joo, who plays tactical agent Yoon Sae Bom. On working with her co-star Park Hyung Sik, she says, “I met him for the first time through this drama. He’s very considerate and has good teamwork that matches with the characters in the drama, so I’m very grateful to have met a co-star like him.”

Han-Hyo-Joo-Park-Hyung-Sik-1.jpg

She then comments that Jo Woo Jin is an actor she’s always wanted to work with, adding, “I think there’s a sort of happiness that comes from acting together with him, so I’m really looking forward to it.”

Next up, Park Hyung Sik, who stars as detective Jung Yi Hyun, also shares his thoughts on working with his co-stars as he says, “After filming together with Han Hyo Joo, I’ve realized we’re similar to each other in many ways, so we communicate well and laugh a lot while filming. Jo Woo Jin is also quite the jokester, so I really look forward to days when we film together and what kind of stories he’s going to tell.”

Jo Woo Jin, who plays the charismatic Han Tae Suk, remarks that both Han Hyo Joo and Park Hyung Sik are comfortable to be around and fun to work with. He continues, “There’s plenty of scenes left where we display our chemistry, so I’m looking forward to spending even more happy moments together.”

The next clip shows Park Hyung Sik and Han Hyo Joo as they joke about her bright white clothes reflecting the sunlight, which she claims she prepared specifically for him. They also stretch together in between takes, but when Han Hyo Joo presses her hands together in an angelic pose, Park Hyung Sik pretends to take a picture as he says, “The time is now!” Han Hyo Joo also begs him to walk in a “cool” way, to which Park Hyung Sik teasingly responds, “I don’t know how to walk cool!”

Spoiler

Han-Hyo-Joo-Park-Hyung-Sik.jpg

In another clip, Jo Woo Jin spies the camera and says dryly to Park Hyung Sik, “Oh, it’s for the making-of film. Do something.” After telling Park Hyung Sik to pretend to be exhausted, he plays along by holding up the props in his hands and saying, “Do you know how hard it was holding these in my hands and driving at the same time?” The conversation then turns to the staircase they’re standing on as they discuss how difficult it is to go up the stairs. Park Hyung Sik expresses his worry that Jo Woo Jin might fall over in a lighthearted manner, bringing a smile to the other actor’s face.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1497301wpp/watch-park-hyung-sik-han-hyo-joo-and-jo-woo-jin-talk-about-their-chemistry-behind-the-scenes-of-happiness

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

Okay but why do I love all three main characters? They are so good together. 

I've come across similar plotlines but this one hits so close to home. The infected are like zombies for me, not like Covid patients, lol. I'm loving the (kinda) contract marriage. Why did Saebom lie to her mom that they were so in love? Does mom think that Saebom and Yihyun are in love or best friends? I'm confused. Because I have guy best friends and my mom know them too. So if these two have been best friends for 12 years, don't their parents know about them too? I love the chemistry though. Because normally in bffs-turned-lovers storylines they suddenly starts to have feelings for each other because they're living together and I often wonder how. But these two still show bff vibes and I'm loving it.

I felt bad for Saebom's friend. He's one of the best actors I've come across. "Prison Playbook" introduced him to me and I loved him even more in "Hi Bye Mama". He became one of my favorite actors. But his greed to find more information made him a victim (predator?). This story is giving me so much "Train to Busan", "#Alive" and "Kingdom" vibes, all because the victims are acting like zombies. But I'm loving the plot so much.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Holy **** that scared me when Yi Hyun opened the car boot and out popped a "surprise" LMFAo! Sae Bom's colleague, I thought had a crush on her but turned out he's married with kids.

Due to a dumb decision.. he's now one of "them". I think Sae Bom's arrogant dermatologist neighbor is next..

I hope the lil girl won't turn.. Yikes Yi Hyun hope he didn't get scratched or bitten but like Sae Bom he's probably got male lead "immunity" anyways LoL.

The nerdy guy has a weapon with him and seem to know more about the disease. Look like he lost a loved one to it seen in flashbacks.

Right now there's a lot goin' on and too much to focus on which I don't know if it's a good thing but at least it glosses over plot holes and is not boring LoL.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

I am liking this drama, and while I do know the first 2 episodes were all about the introduction of characters, and other stuff, 5 mins in I was like "WHERE ARE THE ZOMBIES!!!!!" :joy:

Jokes apart, I like that they spent some good time in the introduction. What I didn't really like was the whole "fake marriage" plotline happening. I found it rather silly and really useless. Doing this they kinda forced the leads to live together, while they could have done that in many other ways which would also seem more natural. 

I believe Han Tae Seok does count himself sort of responsible for this outbreak as well, since he did tell Jung Yi Hyun that he stole this medicine/medicine's formula from the foreign company when Yi Hyun told him that he read in news that this kind of outbreak is happening in the other countries as well. 

But Han Tae Seok does know how to deal with the infected ones as well. While it shocked Yi Hyun how he shot the dude in the car trunk, I actually like the fact that he did. When it comes to Zombies, you can't really hesitate. Otherwise you will see yourself turning into one the next moment. Although I do understand Yi Hyun acting that way since he does not really know what they are dealing with. I believe this was the first time he saw an infected person in that state. 

Also there should always be someone like Lee Seung Young (FL's partner in SOU) who know they are infected, but are scared to be admitted so they don't do anything. I understand it till that point, but then the whole stunt he pulled for some money, which I believe was for his family. He has a wife and kids (maybe) and knows that he will die. So I think he wants to make sure that they are left with some money after he dies. Explaining why he pulled off such a stunt. But yeah, there had to someone like that. 

I also find it a bit odd that while they were transferring some of the critical patients in the refrigerated trucks. Did they check the impact of lower temperatures on them and whether they become active or not. Since we clearly saw how all of them became active. At the same time, maybe I missed, but I am sure in the final scene non of them had the protective mask on. Shouldn't they put it on them since when they arrive the destination, someone would have to take them to the respective wards or room.

Seeing this happening here, I am sure this would happen at the destination they guys supposed to take them out would be welcomed with the large number of zombies ready to attack them :sweats:

Well, so far so good. I look forward to the next episode, since that's when they will show the outbreak happening in the building where FL is itself. So that's when the main plot will start. I am kinda worried about the kid we saw tagging along the FL and hope that FL will keep her safe. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

What I didn't really like was the whole "fake marriage" plotline happening. I found it rather silly and really useless. Doing this they kinda forced the leads to live together, while they could have done that in many other ways which would also seem more natural. 

I think this fits into the whole issue with the housing, though. The theme of the drama is supposed to be social class warfare as they are all quarantined inside the building. The factors that allow someone to have an apartment in the first place are the very things that divide people by class. In real life (as I understand it), the three things you get points for in the housing subscription system are 1) how long you have had the subscription (ie how much money is in it), 2) number of dependents, and 3) first time homebuyer. (2 and 3 are both related to newlyweds having an advantage over a single person, as there is more urgent need). So they have the points to get in, but are only rentals at this point (which denies them certain privileges, such as the exercise room or entering the upper floors, as people like to brick them up against the riffraff). So I don't think it's unrealistic in this case to have this setup--it's a real way that they could end up in this housing complex. 

I love, love, love the little girl neighbor and her fascination with the cool female police officer. She's a great little actress, you can totally see her thoughts shining out of her eyes: When I grow up, I want to be cool just like you, unnie!

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

Lol, I started watching the first episode, not knowing this drama is about an infectious disease / zombie until I read @Sleepy Owl comment about asking, “where are the zombies?!?”:loolz: I was like, zombies? What????

I already smell Han Tae Seok might’ve worked at the pharmaceutical company that was developing the drug that is causing this infectious disease and he joined the CDC to learn more about it… Yoon Sae Bom thinks it’s an infectious disease while Yi Hyun thinks it’s caused from the drug. Im leaning more towards it being caused by the drug.

Does Yi Hyun have a crush on Sae Bom? (I don’t know much about the drama plot or characters which is why I ask) He did accept her offer to getting married or pretending to be married to move in the apartment…I haven’t finished episode 2 yet but so far im enjoying the drama and it’s an interesting plotline!

This apartment is bad news huh? Theres going to be an outbreak in the apartment and the non-infected have to survive. Kind of does remind me of Alive and even Sweet Hone where they have to defend themselves in the apartment. Also I like it how the drama added Covid to the drama and it exists in this drama world. I don’t think there has been a korean drama since the pandemic started that incorporated coronavirus?

***EDIT**** OKAY I just watched the scene where the lady took that pill and it looks EXACTLY like the one Yi Hyun found so looks like there will be an outbreak…Also the husband is that crazy CEO guy in Taxi Driver AND the president in The Devil Judge. He is just taking in the roles of all despicable people huh? :lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

9 hours ago, ferily said:

Lol, I started watching the first episode, not knowing this drama is about an infectious disease / zombie until I read @Sleepy Owl comment about asking, “where are the zombies?!?” I was like, zombies? What????

Okay, I got to take my words back. I mentioned the same on "Add/sub" thread, and they had the same reaction. I feel like I am lowkey discouraging people from watching by mentioning "Zombies" :sweats:

No Chingus, no zombies involved, only a bunch of people infected by an unknown virus which makes them kinda go crazy and attack anyone in their way. Poor people feel thirsty, so they attack people to have their blood instead of having water. Nothing like Zombies :joy:

I already smell Han Tae Seok might’ve worked at the pharmaceutical company that was developing the drug that is causing this infectious disease and he joined the CDC to learn more about it… Yoon Sae Bom thinks it’s an infectious disease while Yi Hyun thinks it’s caused from the drug. Im leaning more towards it being caused by the drug.

Han Tae Seok had mentioned that he is the guy behind the "Next" medicine which is suspected to be doing this. Not exactly the guy, but he admitted that he stole it from a foreign pharmaceutical firm when ML told him that he saw in news similar cases to be happening in other countries as well. 

I think the whole thing happen something like this. He stole the formula of a certain new medicine for the pneumonia. They came across some reactions or some red flags while testing it, but the CEO of the company still went ahead with the production, which led to this dude assaulting him (since this actually happened). Then I believe he rejoined the army by mentioning the side-effects of the medicine which is kinda dangerous. 

The disease I believe is both infectious (gets spread from an infected to a normal person when they bite or scratch them), but it also infects a normal person once they have this dangerous medicine call "Next". 

Does Yi Hyun have a crush on Sae Bom? (I don’t know much about the drama plot or characters which is why I ask) He did accept her offer to getting married or pretending to be married to move in the apartment…I haven’t finished episode 2 yet but so far im enjoying the drama and it’s an interesting plotline!

He definitely seems to have feelings for her. He so easily agreed to get married :joy:

This apartment is bad news huh? Theres going to be an outbreak in the apartment and the non-infected have to survive. Kind of does remind me of Alive and even Sweet Hone where they have to defend themselves in the apartment. Also I like it how the drama added Covid to the drama and it exists in this drama world. I don’t think there has been a korean drama since the pandemic started that incorporated coronavirus?

Yeah, the apartment is bad news. Han Tae Seok got FL the apartment for her to cooperate with her, and also got her the 6 months paid leave for her to continue getting tested and also be safe. He wants her to be safe, since I think he believes that she has got the antibodies for this virus, which is why he wants her blood every 2 weeks. Irony is, he got her the apartment and leave to kinda keep her safe, instead ends up sending her to he hub of this infection :loolz:

I don't remember seeing any drama where they had included Covid this much actively in the drama. I think they very smartly did it, since they are also dealing with another infectious disease. So they are showing military and government taking light steps with this virus since they are already dealing with a pandemic and don't want to cause panic among public. 

***EDIT**** OKAY I just watched the scene where the lady took that pill and it looks EXACTLY like the one Yi Hyun found so looks like there will be an outbreak…Also the husband is that crazy CEO guy in Taxi Driver AND the president in The Devil Judge. He is just taking in the roles of all disposable people huh? :lol:

That dude can never play a good guy, can he? :joy:

Him being in a drama is like a spoiler, since we all know what kind of character he will be playing :loolz:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

CONTEST: Movember Oppa event - win prizes!

Chingus, now is your chance to win prizes as we are launching our Movember oppa event. Let your creative juices flow as you transform your oppa into a mustache oppa or a beard oppa. Let other forum members admire your oppa with facial hair. :wub: 

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

• Blob 1

Considering Yi Hyun kept that picture of the two of them for 12 years, and now wants to hang it in their apartment in the place of a wedding photo... :lol: Yeah, pretty much he has feelings. 

And ahhhh on them wanting large vats of her blood every two weeks for the antibodies, did not think of that....

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

I guess zombies scratches don't turn them into zombies, maybe they should be bitten. Or because the main character cannot die from the beginning. I think the series is very scary, I watched it at night, it was a little bit scary. And Han hyo joo's character is starting to get scared since episode 2, she's not that calm, she's just trying to act rationally for now. The PHS character is still very romantic, I think, in general, he shines very well in those roles. This drama probably a thriller-focused series, but I think maybe they'll turn the fake marriage into reality.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Happiness: Episode 1

by quirkycase

https://d263ao8qih4miy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Happiness01-00076.jpg

A solid opening for tvN’s newest thriller Happiness which centers on a virus outbreak, a topic that hits much closer to home these days. Except this virus gives the infected a hunger for human flesh, so there’s that. This episode sets up the outbreak but also takes the time to introduce us to our likable main duo. Han Hyo-joo and Park Hyung-shik, two high school friends now in the police force, find themselves caught up in a mysterious murder case with disturbing implications.

EPISODE 1 RECAP

We open on officer KIM JUNG-KOOK (Lee Jun-hyuk) trying to talk down a teenaged JUNG YI-HYUN (Park Hyung-shik) who is calmly sitting on the edge of his school roof. Everyone assumes he’s suicidal after hurting his leg badly enough that his baseball career is shot.

Fellow classmate YOON SAE-BOM (Han Hyo-joo) makes her way onto the rooftop and tells Jung-kook she’s got this. She hops onto the ledge and plops down next to Yi-hyun, complaining that she’s stuck at school because of him. Yi-hyun sighs that they’re making a big deal out of nothing – he only came up for some air, and then some idiot called the cops.

https://d263ao8qih4miy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Happiness01-01056.jpg

Sae-bom asks if baseball is that important to him. He says it’s all he knows how to do, and now he’ll never do it again. What’s he supposed to do with his life? Sae-bom looks supremely unbothered and shares she’s never been good at anything, and she’s fine. Ha.

She reminds him the future is full of possibilities for them. “You’ve got nothing to lose,” she says as she holds out her hand. Yi-hyun scoffs but lets her help him up. “Like me,” Sae-bom finishes as she freaking PUSHES HIM OFF THE ROOF onto the inflatable safety mat below.

Yi-hyun stares at her in shock as he falls, but he smiles when he hits the mat. Above, Sae-bom explains to the open-mouthed cop that she made sure to push Yi-hyun so he’d fall onto the safety mat. Cut to her in handcuffs running over to Yi-hyun, asking him to tell the police to let her go. “Do you want to date?” Yi-hyun asks instead.

12 years later

Gunfire and sirens sound while the Special Operation Unit [SOU] of the police force swarms a building. Adult Sae-bom helps carry in a wounded officer and yells at the newbie to begin treatment. He diagnoses a collapsed lung and hesitates before plunging the needle into the man’s chest.

When the officer starts convulsing, the terrified newbie begins chest compressions. The officer stops him and sits up, taking off his medical vest and admonishing the newbie for jabbing the clavicle. Sae-bom deducts points, calling the new recruit slow and indecisive.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/11/happiness-episode-1/

• Like 2
  • Blob 1