[Drama 2021] Happiness, 해피니스- Han Hyo-Joo, Park Hyung Sik & Joo Wo Jin

larus

11 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I think I would assume yes on both--Seo Yoon wasn't living with Sae Bom and Yi Hyun, and the only other adult she had was her mom, so I'm going to say yes here. 

I think Andrew died. First, he was shot at from both directions. Remember that Han Tae Seok shot the gym guy dead? So it can work. Also, Yi Hyun was able to stave off the disease to a great extent because he had a family and people to care about. Which Andrew...didn't. 

Lol. Maybe they eventually managed to do that :D

Hi... yes, right about Seo Yoon...

It did get complicated... Andrew's head did get based by that crazy woman after he was bitten and yet he was still ^alive^... and chased Yi Hyun later on...  so can a shot really killed those zombies easily? If so, then they shouldnt really worry about the zombies...  i got the impression that the zombies were initially difficult to kill hence we have this drama.. or was it just the infection story..... how did that gym kid died again, i forgot, was he shot.. but he died for them to take his brain... im getting more confused now... haha...

Yes lets hope so:lol:... is not me only right, Park Hyung Sik did look bulky in the drama...he was skinnier in Strong Woman ... 

I think its great that they show Seo Boom was really the ^aggressive^ / bold / stronger type compared to Yi Hyun in the drama... dramaland need more  strong female character like this... haha... (can anyone recommend if there is, i dont want the male lead to be a sissy as well though, hahhaa)...

• Like 2

@realistic2280a

Sae Bom was in her school uniform skirt at the very start of the drama. It's just more practical as she does a lot of running, kicking etc. She's also really tomboyish in nature.

It's pretty common for most male leads in k-dramas to pine after their "first loves" for decades LoL. 

The siblings were typical ha. They fight but stick close together at the end like most families. I applaud the lady for her bravery though she stuck close to both Yi Hyun and her bro - both were "infected" btw, although they showed great restraint. Still ha-ha she's brave yo.

I sort of liked the running theme that "love conquer all" throughout this entire drama. That love and family will help one get through anything. Yi Hyun mentioned it and it was Sae Bom's love that helped him stay "normal" until he got the cure. The same with the old folks and their wayward son as was the siblings ( does the bro still want his sis's apartment!??! )

If I had to recommend, the recent "My Name" has such a character but she's still way more feminine than Sae Bom ha-ha! It's hard to find the warrior type characters @realistic2280a is looking for like say, Linda Hamilton of "The Terminator".

@ferily

I think it's 'cause of his strong will and (wink..wink..) self control eheheh. Well the guy did have a one-sided crush on Sae Bom for a very long time. That alone takes a lot of discipline and commitment no LMFAo!?

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

(can anyone recommend if there is, i dont want the male lead to be a sissy as well though, hahhaa)...

Nothing comes to mind at the moment, but I like this observation--a strong female lead doesn't mean you have to sissify the male lead. I liked that they were both strong in their own way.  I like how the writer let both characters fully act for themselves and fill important roles in the plotline. It wasn't that one was there to merely be the other half of a kissing scene. It would be nice if more drama writers would consider this. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@realistic2280a

Sae Bom was in her school uniform skirt at the very start of the drama. It's just more practical as she does a lot of running, kicking etc. She's also really tomboyish in nature.

It's pretty common for most male leads in k-dramas to pine after their "first loves" for decades LoL. 

I applaud the lady for her bravery though she stuck close to both Yi Hyun and her bro - both were "infected" btw, although they showed great restraint.

If I had to recommend, the recent "My Name" has such a character but she's still way more feminine than Sae Bom ha-ha! It's hard to find the warrior type characters @realistic2280a is looking for like say, Linda Hamilton of "The Terminator".

Yes, she was a tom boy, and i like it! Haha... and she grow up so beautifully, and a terrorism army  expert at that...rare, but nice.. they make her stronger than Yi Hyun in that sense...

With regards to childhood, man, tell me about it!, the worst is China's dramas!.. like i said many times, i cant even remember my primary school classmates let alone to remember them when we are in our late 20s or 30s; to fall in love with them.. :lol::crazy:

While family and love might conqurer it all, i think one theme which also emerged is  on how to be kind humans ... the siblings helped Yi Hyun when he was infected, regardless, because the sister said, SB and YH were helpful to them when they had problems ... we all know know our couple are kind, fair and upright people... :heart:

Haha.. linda hamilton, yes i like the movie.. ages ago, a classic... i dig her romance with the male lead, though it was very short lived... he who came from the future to rescue the woman he fell in love with, based on a picture? Right?..... And their son being the future saviour of the planet... Imagine, both father and son came from the future, in actual fact, the son was the father's commander of some sort in the future but he volunttered ro go back to the past to rescue linda's character ... amazing plot back then :heart:...:lol:

I will check out on My Name... to see if the plot and comments are interesting to watch ya, thanks for the recommendation..:D

3 hours ago, frozentundra said:

--a strong female lead doesn't mean you have to sissify the male lead. I liked that they were both strong in their own way.  

Indeed... otherwise we viewers would think less of the male lead if he wasnt a complement to the female lead's strengths..:D

• Like 3

Lol, I think the idea in Kdramas of someone nursing a one-sided crush for TWELVE YEARS is a bit on the fantasy side. But I guess the fantasy is what people like to read in fiction sometimes... 

4 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

While family and love might conqurer it all, i think one theme which also emerged is  on how to be kind humans ... the siblings helped Yi Hyun when he was infected, regardless, because the sister said, the SB and YH were helpful to them when they had problems ... we all know know our couple are kind, fair and upright people... 

Yes, I really loved this. Some of the moments that hit me hardest were those moments where someone was simply kind: 

"Let's throw him out. Why don't you want to just throw him out?" (a resident, maybe the apartment rep lady, speaking of the gym guy)

"Because he's a PERSON." --Sae Bom

Or the moment Sae Bom ran back to invite the grocery store girl to escape with them. And also invited the poor lawyer's wife to come along.

Or the moment when Sae Bom paused and went back to give her only dose to Seo Yoon's mom. 

Or yes, when the siblings just took care of Yi Hyun, regardless of his condition, because they were decent people who wanted to help.

Or the YouTuber's family. If you think about it, they really found each other in the lockdown. They disappeared for a couple episodes--because they were holed up at home, trying to self-isolate and not infect anyone else. They went from seeing the mom as basically their servant, to taking care of each other. When the dad welcomed the prodigal YouTuber home, there were no questions or conditions, they just rejoiced that he had come home. And  that scene of them all restrained, yet dad was feeding mom and trying to encourage the others to have hope--ahh. Just that simple love and kindness, it made me teary. 

Of course the lead couple were like that; they are the heroes and we expect them to save each other. But to see it echoed  over and over, with major characters and with small ones... Somehow that got under my skin and really touched me in this drama. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

@frozentundra... indeed... being a kind human during the age of pandemic is really important message that needs to be sent out to people... Yes, when SB asked the infected cashier to join them, i was surprised. As long as she didnt show any symptoms that is fine.. like the sibling's brother who was actually revealed to carry the antibodies... 

We will see how *ugly* people are when facing with crisis because people want survive (gosh, suddenly reminds me of Titanic)... and those we assumed were ^beautiful^ before this may not be that afterall... Where is the balance, i wonder at time... sigh... 

• Like 4

@realistic2280a

Agrees (nods my head)

Kindness is much.. much.. needed especially so during times like these~

I particularly love that scene where Sae Bom bravely approached Yi Hyun when he was trying to control his thirst.

And she just soothed comforted him letting him know she'd always be by his side. Dear Santa, please give me a man like Yi Hyun this X'Mas huh LoL!??!

Ahahahah! I can't even remember what I did yesterday and these drama characters have one-sided crushes for years! I am in awe of their dedication. Like they loved no one else and lived their life only for that person WoW (slow claps) ha-ha.

I don't remember much from the Terminator. Her role was just iconic that's why I mentioned it LoL so was Ripley of "Alien". 

I laugh at your post that mentioned "Titanic" as a tragedy with beautiful people LMFAo!!! But yeah I understand what ya meant. That's why they say you only know how someone truly is when you're at your lowest point in life. These people only act genuine when you have health, wealth, beauty, abundance etc. They ditch you the moment you're broke, alone and pititful. Human nature is sadly like that~

Looking forward to your thoughts on "My Name". Merry X'Mas y'all!

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

On 12/15/2021 at 3:10 PM, Latte_Anyday said:

@realistic2280a

Agrees (nods my head)

Kindness is much.. much.. needed especially so during times like these~

I particularly love that scene where Sae Bom bravely approached Yi Hyun when he was trying to control his thirst.

And she just soothed comforted him letting him know she'd always be by his side. Dear Santa, please give me a man like Yi Hyun this X'Mas huh LoL!??!

Ahahahah! I can't even remember what I did yesterday and these drama characters have one-sided crushes for years! I am in awe of their dedication. Like they loved no one else and lived their live only for that person WoW (slow claps) ha-ha.

I don't remember much from the Terminator. Her role was just iconic that's why I mentioned it LoL so was Ripley of "Alien". 

I laugh at your post that mentioned "Titanic" as a tragedy with beautiful people LMFAo!!! But yeah I understand what ya meant. That's why they say you know how someone truly is when you're at your lowest point in life. These people only act genuine when you have health, wealth, beauty, abundance etc. They ditch you when you're broke, alone or pititful. Human nature is sadly like that~

Looking forward to your thoughts on "My Name". Merry X'Mas y'all!

Yes, she didnt care if he was infected; she just has the  urge just to find him, comfort him and kiss him, to show that she also love him, regardless of what happened (though she only realised after after his video confession...)

:heart:

Hear hear... Merry X'mas, and have a happy and safe Christmas ahead...:heart:

• Like 3

11 Characters Who Got What They Deserved In The Final Episodes Of “Happiness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 15, 2021
by shalini

Happiness” has come to an end after a relatively brief but satisfying run. This drama set out to deliver a ride that was at times high-octane, and at other psychologically grueling, and succeeded on both fronts. It’s time to bid farewell to the residents of Seyang Forest Le Ciel Building 101 – both those we loved and those we wished were bitten. Here are the endings we found the most satisfying in the final episodes.

Warning: spoilers for episodes 11-12 below.

1. Oh Yeon Ok: Complete mental decline

bae-hae-sun.png

Oh Yeon Ok (Bae Hae Sun) has been steadily deteriorating since the murder of her husband and unknowingly teams up with the very guy that did it. Upon discovering that Andrew (Lee Joo Seung) was a serial killer wanted by the police, she and Oh Joo Hyeong (Baek Hyun Jin) team up to use Andrew to get rid of their common enemies: Yoon Sae Bom (Han Hyo Joo) and Jung Yi Hyun (Park Hyung Sik).

The plan? To have Andrew force the couple to turn on emergency power then kill them so that the rest of the residents (really just Joo Hyeong and Yeon Ok) can steal their food. She assumes that everyone else will just go along with this because they need the supplies.

When that fails, and everything falls apart, she goes completely insane, begging all whole will listen to vote for her as apartment representative. She attempts one last ditch effort to make Yi Hyun kill everyone for unknown reasons and just cackles away. The last we see of her and Joo Hyeong is in a courtroom, where she seems to have recovered some measure of composure or sanity. Hopefully, she can be cell block representative in jail.

2. Oh Joo Hyeong: Even the virus doesn’t want him

baek-hyun-jin.png

Woo Sang Hee (Moon Ye Won) finally locates Joo Hyeong’s banking passcode (tattooed on him?? And not even in a place he can see? The man’s an idiot). Unfortunately it’s in doctor script, so she whacks him unconscious and enlists a frightened Lawyer Kook’s (Park Hyoung Soo) help.

Realizing he’s been betrayed, Joo Hyeong swallows several of the Next pills upon gaining consciousness in an effort to get revenge. But even the virus doesn’t want him, and despite his best efforts, running around and biting Lawyer Ko, he isn’t infected. He hopes he is though and even keeps the injured cleaner couple around as a “boxed lunch” in the event that he turns. But the couple turns the tables on him, booting him out of his own home and dressing up in his valuables. Ha!

His last attempt at getting to Yi Hyun fails miserably as Sae Bom successfully emasculates him, hopefully permanently. Who knows what this man will get up to in jail, but one thing’s for sure: Joo Hyeong will always find a way to survive .

3. Lawyer Kook and Woo Sang Hee: You deserve each other

Lawyer Kook realizes too late that Sang Hee’s only true love is money. His callous disregard for Sae Bom’s and Yi Hyun’s lives and his complicity in getting Kim Jung Kook (Lee Joon Hyuk) shot disgusts his wife Shin So Yoon (Jung Woon Sun). She joins Sae Bom and Yi Hyun and leaves the building, ignoring his numerous texts and calls begging her to take him back.

He gives up and decides to go with Sang Hee and partake in Joo Hyeong’s money only to discover that their ill-gotten gains have been devalued overnight in a stock market crash. That’s the way the market tumbles, folks!

4. Andrew: A bite and a bullet

For the most dangerous villain in the show (next to the rich infected CEO who started all this), Andrew was quite underutilized. It would have been quite compelling to have this show take the form of a murder mystery in a locked-down apartment much sooner. But late is better than never, and Andrew manages to make himself dislikable enough that it’s a delight to watch Yi Hyun take him down.

First Yi Hyun fools him by going into an adjacent building and heading back to Building 101 via the connecting rooftop doors. And then there’s probably the best moment in the whole show in terms of sheer vengeance when Yi Hyun gives in and does what we all wished would happen.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1498759wpp/11-characters-who-got-what-they-deserved-in-the-final-episodes-of-happiness

Happiness: Episode 11

by quirkycase

Spoiler

https://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Happiness11-00420.jpg

Things get intense in the penultimate episode as the residents split into two factions pretty much based on how okay with murder they are. Our leads try to keep themselves alive and protect those dear to them, but it’s not easy with a killer and zombies on the loose. The more violent and chaotic the situation gets, the more our cop struggles to hide his condition and not lose himself. But he’s determined to protect his family, no matter the cost.

EPISODE 11 RECAP

In the hall, everyone waits nervously. This was Joo-hyung’s plan, and everyone else claims they didn’t know Andrew was the killer. Inside, Andrew reveals his face now that his ruse is up. He takes Seo-yoon hostage and since he has a gun, there’s nothing Sae-bom can do but promise Seo-yoon she’ll come for her.

Everyone outside is surprised to see Andrew without the mask. He orders them all to the gym and says he’ll bring Sae-bom and Yi-hyun down. They want their food now, but no one dares defy the killer with a gun. He orders Hae-sung to stay behind.

When the gang in cahoots with Andrew meets Hyun-kyung and So-yoon in the stairwell, they hide what’s going on upstairs. Young-ok convinces the women to go with them to the gym so they don’t find out about the group’s betrayal of Sae-bom and Yi-hyun.

While Sae-bom treats Jung-kook’s stab wound, Yi-hyun shakes from both the effort of holding himself back and his fear for Jung-kook. Sae-bom steadies him and vows to put everyone responsible away once they leave.

Yi-hyun steps aside and radios Tae-seok to explain the situation. He warns that Seo-yoon will be in danger if Tae-seok storms in. Yi-hyun also shares that he knows Tae-seok lied to him and that Sae-bom has the antibodies, which Tae-seok basically admits.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/12/happiness-episode-11/

Edited by Emily Bett
Please use the spoiler tag for multiple images, thanks!
  • Like 3

On 12/14/2021 at 8:42 AM, Latte_Anyday said:

@realistic2280a

The siblings were typical ha. They fight but stick close together at the end like most families. I applaud the lady for her bravery though she stuck close to both Yi Hyun and her bro - both were "infected" btw, although they showed great restraint. Still ha-ha she's brave yo.

I sort of liked the running theme that "love conquer all" throughout this entire drama. That love and family will help one get through anything. Yi Hyun mentioned it and it was Sae Bom's love that helped him stay "normal" until he got the cure. The same with the old folks and their wayward son as was the siblings ( does the bro still want his sis's apartment!??! )

@ferily

I think it's 'cause of his strong will and (wink..wink..) self control eheheh. Well the guy did have a one-sided crush on Sae Bom for a very long time. That alone takes a lot of discipline and commitment no LMFAo!?

Han So hee in My Name definitely radiated great charisma and very tomboy in the action scenes. I have a special sympathy for Han so hee as she is the kdrama version of Ryujin from ITZY. But Han Hyo Joo's character was also good. I watched the last episodes at night, the series ended very well. The last two episodes were very exciting. The scenes were very emotional and romantic since Yi hyun's love confession and Saeboom came to his rescue. Despite being a zombie drama, the love scenes were very natural. I thought it would be a happy ending. They quickly skipped the parts where they treated the virus, that part came a bit abruptly. Maybe they could add a few more chapters. However, they tied the ending nicely. I'm glad the writer sister and brother survived. At least they felt grateful and trusted Yi hyun and Saeboom.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

Happiness: Episode 12 (Final)

by quirkycase

https://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Happiness12-00478.jpg

The ending is just what I’d hoped for, devoting most of its time to sorting out the mess at the complex but leaving enough time for a final wrap-up. It’s been a fun ride with a surprising amount of heart and hope, one that’s all about connection and those by our side we often take for granted.

EPISODE 12 RECAP

As Sae-bom donates her blood, she again watches the video Yi-hyun recorded for her. She calls his phone, but it goes to voicemail. Sae-bom spots Seo-yoon in the hallway and ends up going with her to visit her mother.

Seo-yoon’s mother is lucid but doesn’t look well. She tells Seo-yoon that she caught a cold and makes her keep her distance so she doesn’t get sick before her surgery. Once Seo-yoon leaves the room, her mother says it’s thanks to Seo-yoon’s letter that she’s been able to hold on for so long.

She asks Sae-bom to keep looking after her daughter and then urges Sae-bom to leave. She can’t hold back anymore and turns, straining against her restraints.

Elsewhere, Tae-seok interviews So-yoon about the state of the apartment complex. He asks how many are currently infected and wants details about those who died from the infection.

Outside, Sae-bom promises Seo-yoon that she and Yi-hyun will visit her after her surgery. When Seo-yoon guesses that her mother is infected, Sae-bom assures her she’ll get better. But Tae-seok later tells Sae-bom that Seo-yoon’s mother probably won’t last much longer.

Tae-seok hands Sae-bom the last remaining vial of the treatment and observes that her antibody count is decreasing. They need this vial to create more of the treatment. When he says the commander is coming to take her to the lab, Sae-bom asks if he’s breaking his promise.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/12/happiness-episode-12-final/

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 11:56 PM, frozentundra said:

Lol, I think the idea in Kdramas of someone nursing a one-sided crush for TWELVE YEARS is a bit on the fantasy side. But I guess the fantasy is what people like to read in fiction sometimes... 

At least Yihyun got married to his long time crush of 12 years... I mean, when you like someone for more than 12 years (and it's one-sided). Yihyun's lucky enough to still be friends with Saebom after being rejected. I don't think it's never possible. I mean the 12 years of pinning... :hahah!:Been there, done that. Though not as lucky as Jung Yihyun.... 

• Like 3

On 12/19/2021 at 7:26 PM, silentlydreaming1209 said:

At least Yihyun got married to his long time crush of 12 years... I mean, when you like someone for more than 12 years (and it's one-sided). Yihyun's lucky enough to still be friends with Saebom after being rejected. I don't think it's never possible. I mean the 12 years of pinning... :hahah!:Been there, done that. Though not as lucky as Jung Yihyun.... 

I agree its not impossible. Yi Hyun have a strong mentality and can be single minded.  Since meeting Saebom, Yi Hyun sees her as his savior and hope. Saebom helped him realised what was important. He was happy as long as Saebom is happy and safe. He wasn't interested in any other girls.

Apart from Yi Hyun's strong mindset, I suspect he continue to hold out for Saebom because she never got into a serious romantic relationship. Saebom sees romantic relationship as unreliable and toxic, due to her witnessing her parents dysfunctional marriage.  Instead she priortised being independent and finding her own space. 

Yi Hyun is perfect for Saebom. He is very patient with her, respects Saebom's choices and personal boundaries. Yi Hyun helps Saebom to feel safe without forcing his wants on her. Before their fake marriage, I think Yi Hyun and Saebom was already in a ambiguous relationship. They were probably like "best friends" on the verge of a romantic relationship. He never forced Saebom into a relationship, because he knew her well. She wasn't ready and it has to be on her terms. That's probably why when Saebom asked him to marry her, Yi Hyun was not surprised at all.  Where as for Saebom, she only realise and acknowledged her feeling for Yi Hyun by the end of the show, and reinforce how Yi Hyun is reliable, he would always put her first and never give up on her. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

I love Happiness. I just re-watched the first few episodes again and they’re still so good. This seems like a movie with a slow pace in the middle of the story but overall, I enjoyed it. Happiness finished right before my holidays break, so when I got to watch the last four episodes in a row, omg it was such a roller coaster. Everything was so intense yet so heartwarming, I was in tears, watching Hyun sacrificing himself and Sae Bom realizing her true love. This year, I only have 2 favorite K dramas that I finished completely and this is one of them. I wasn’t fond of the stories about apocalypse, zombies or virus, but this was different. It focused on our powerful couple more and the humanity, the twist! I love seeing a couple like SB and YH. They love, protect each other, and the only thing that got in their way was the other people but that was how they know they can’t lose each other! They’re both mature and cute, they learn and grow together. I like the messages in this, like SB said, there are many possibilities in life, just stay positive, there’s nothing to lose. 
Applause to the acting and the production. I got chilled every time Hyun got mad and I got mad when the apartment people tried to take the stuffs in SB and YH apartment. Like they let people die so they can steal some foods… And the ignorance that the apartment representative lady had. I was more annoyed with her than OJH..
Who could come up with this kind of story that has all the things from thriller, romance, comedy, action to horror and mystery? I really want to see more dramas similar to this. 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

On 12/19/2021 at 1:26 AM, silentlydreaming1209 said:

Agree. I was in a little similar situation and it lasted about a year, we still didn’t talk again until now. lol. 
I imagine what could make this possible is that this twelve years could include the time they prepared for colleges, went to colleges or training camps, and focused on their careers more. Sae Bom’s job looks like it required a lot of time and trainings. So they probably could spend around 4-6 years focusing on their own already. Then Hyun probably waited for 6 years until he got “proposed” lol. Maybe during this time, he got closed to her mom and always watched out for her when she needed. I personally just feel like Sae Bom didn’t pay attention to Hyun’s personal life much. That’s maybe how they’re friends but still with some distances and boundaries. She saved his phone number as “I’m his life savior…”, it seems they’re closed but also not since there’s no name on it. Later she just realized that she could get married with him because she needed to get married and Hyun is probably the only single guy she knows for that long to put on a marriage contract ! Because of Hyun’s great persistent and never gave it up, he gained her trust in a very long time here but it should be totally worth it, well deserved :)

• Like 1

So they were not able to make a Bluray in the end, but they did go ahead and film a 32 minute commentary with the writer, director, and main leads. However, it is not subtitled at all. 

It's very, very long and I am not the person to subtitle it. But in the interest of fans who can't understand any of it, I made a summary of it (under the cut). If someone out there provides actual subtitles, awesome, go ahead a drop a link here. 

Summary: 

Spoiler

Ahn Gil Ho, director

Han Hyo Joo, role of Yoon Sae Bom

Park Hyung Sik, role of Jung Yi Hyun

Han Sang Woo, writer

--It was the 2nd most popular drama on SNS in 2021. AGH the director was disappointed with the low ratings but HHJ was satisfied. It aired late at night, which makes it hard on ratings, but she still felt the results were good.

--HJ said she was suffering the aftereffects of missing Happiness and hadn’t let go of Sae Bom yet. It’s been a while since she felt this way. She says the director needs to take responsibility for this!

--PHS said that the viewers and also the actors felt that way, too. He also thanked everyone for loving Happiness, his first comeback after military service. He got more confidence from that reaction and the result of the drama made him happy.

--The director on Happiness: it’s a disaster drama with some romance. There are some parts he likes and some he doesn’t, but it was fun to work with such great people and he’s thankful to the audience for loving the drama until the end.

Question: Your feelings when you first saw the Happiness script?

AGH (director): First minute good, next minute good. It’s fun. It’s really interesting! Ah, this is a really good story, let’s hurry up and do it.

HHJ: She read the first 4 episodes at once and felt the character of Yoon Sae Bom was like a gift. She was really anxious to play the role because it’s not common to find a character that really is like her. Her friends were like, you have to do it, right? Sae Bom = 100% synchronization with HJ.

PHS: Agrees with the writer that it’s a story he’s never seen before. He thought each character was distinct even though there were a lot. He was fresh out of military and had a good physique and thought he could express a reliable character together with the director, writer, and HHJ.

Q: What is the meaning of the title Happiness?

ASW (writer) came up with the story that takes place after the covid era, where everyday happiness has been damaged and broken. Each person may have a different view of happiness, and he wanted to talk about all those different stories. But he didn’t have this title in the beginning. He wrote 4 episodes and showed them to the director who was like, Infection?? What kind of title is this? So they talked about it and came up with the title Happiness, which they feel is perfect.

HJ asked why the e was upside down. The director said well, it has many meanings that people can interpret differently, so I will just say “no comment.” So the rest started guessing English words like “everything” or “evil.”

Q: Why did the e go back to the right direction in the last episode?

The director says it was written in the script.

HHJ and PHS think that it shows that at the end, the problems were corrected and they could go back to their everyday life. The director thinks that maybe it can’t be exactly like before, but that’s his wish, too.

HJ then asks the writer when he decided on the direction of the ending.

ASW: That ending was planned from the beginning. There was a lot of opposition from the people around him, but personally? He wanted to write a happy drama.

Meanwhile, they didn’t tell the actors if it would be a happy or sad ending, it was like top secret.

Q: There’s one interpretation from some people that the ending is just Sae Bom’s imagination to which HJ says, “?!??!?” PHS says, such a tragedy. Maybe they think we’re breaking the fantasy?

(This is why the director just says, “no comment.”)

Q: Your favorite scene or line?

Director’s pick: when the people in the gym keep clashing with each other and fighting. It was fun to go edit that afterwards. The actors really worked hard and it was a great experience.

Writer: when Yi Hyun reveals that he’s got the disease in the elevator and says his lines to Sae Bom. Yes! Romance achieved, lol. Starting today, Romance Master Han. Sang. Woon. (lol. Writer is funny.)

Q: Happiness has no romance? (referring to the earlier promo clip where HHJ and PHS said it was not melo.)

HHJ said that really, REALLY, they didn’t think there was any melo. Even after filming it! She thought it was about survival. Then after filming it, she watched the show and was shocked. They filmed a melo! The music really added to that effect, like in the elevator scene. And then HHJ realized the director intended it to turn out this way.

Director: “Because it’s a melodrama.” Duh. Lol.

PHS says that he did feel the emotions of the moment in the end when he’s run into the room and hidden and then Sae Bom comes in.

HHJ: He cried a lot.

PHS to writer: I love you, writer!

So basically, everyone knew it was a melodrama except the leads who you know, actually filmed the drama. Lol.

HHJ thought the lines Sae Bom says in that scene stress the importance of togetherness and happiness: “Home,” “It’s important who you are with,” “Let’s stay together forever.” There are just a lot of comforting situations and lines.

On the opening scene on the rooftop, the sky is CGI and everything else is real. PHS really fell from a height, suspended by a crane. IT WAS NOT CGI. HJ thought her knees were shaking up there, wasn’t he scared?

PHS says that was the moment when Yi Hyun fell in love with Sae Bom.

HJ says the expressions were good and the director really was pleased with that scene, too.

--On the later rooftop scene when YH is infected and just sent SB off to safety…The writer says that what YH likes most is Sae Bom and baseball, and now he has to give up both of them. PHS says he really liked this scene, where YH had this dream he couldn’t fulfill. Also, he really got into this scene, where he just yells out his frustration from the roof. In real life while filming, some random neighbor yelled back, Ahhhhh! What is it?!”  PHS says sorry. He was just too immersed in acting. J

Q: When does Sae Bom realize she likes Yi Hyun?

HJ says that first of all, he did ask her out in high school. To which PHS says, that’s right, I’m sure you (SB) had a crush on me (YH). But HJ questions this—really, for over a decade, you’ve been the ONLY guy to like me? We graduated from high school and now I’m in my 30s…

PHS: Writer nim… HELP ME

Writer: Er…yes?

PHS: Yes! Of course. Um…It’s just… She was the first person he met on the rooftop. So what about Sae Bom?

HJ says for SB it was when she hugged YH by the front entrance. When she realized that she felt comforted and reassured when Yi Hyun was by her side. She thinks that’s when Sae Bom started liking him.

Q: On the elevator scene, what were they trying to show with the flashing lights?

PHS: Heh, as expected, Happiness viewers don’t miss a thing!

The director says it was actually in the script. They all worked hard in that scene and remembered how funny it was when they were trying to get the lights faster or slower, randomized for the scene. And they cheer on the lighting director.

Ah—HJ remembers that PHS called her “hyung” that day (term used by a guy to an older male). PHS is like…please forget about that! It’s not hyung (guy to older guy), it’s noona (guy to older girl).

Action scenes

YH clip when he slides over the top of the car: “If you touch Sae Bom, you die.”

HHJ: Oh, but Hyung Sik, you threw up that day.

PHS says it was really hot that day and he felt dizzy after running full speed.

HHJ keeps saying, will you be okay? Tell me if you feel like throwing up!

They all praised the soundtrack. The writer and director didn’t want a lot of music (of the normal drama sort), so they went with this western sounding music. There was a clip they showed of Ji Soo and Han Tae Seok driving with the music that is usually used for SB and YH, which HJ questioned. The director said that Jo Woo Jin suggested it. It’s supposed to mean that everything is connected. Anyway, they all thought the music selections were perfect.

Question: Is Lieutenant Han Tae Seok good or evil?

The writer says this was a very difficult role. In one sense he is selfish but there are times when he shouldn’t be seen as entirely hateful on screen.

Acting + script + music = a fantastic collaboration.

Q: Was little Wiggly born safely?

The writer says yes! He was born well and is living safely with his family. Even though Han Tae Seok is a bit reckless of a person, he’s going to be a happy dad. Whew!

Q to the writer: Where do you get your inspiration?

HSW says that some of it he’s seen in his life. (What kind of life have you lived?!) He says well, maybe to some I’m a villain. The amazing thing is that there are real people like the apartment head lady and Oh Joo Hyung out there. Sometimes reality surpasses fiction…

While filming the Andrew parts, HJ didn’t have any clue about him, but PHS was a bit suspicious of him.

Q: Who is the best villain in Happiness?

Ha!  Oh Joo Hyung! HSW says that other villains weaken a bit when they show compassion for others, but Oh Joo Hyung is the only one who remained free from any of that.  He’s the kind of villain who harms society most, and the writer worked hard on him.

PHS: At first I was so angry at Oh Soo Hyung, but later when I watched the drama, I respected his cute style (lol). I mean…he woke up after being hit by a golf club, but hey, there was a Next pill in front of him, and he was so cute to pick it up and eat it. It was seriously a madman disease!

HHJ: I’m sorry I kicked him in so many places recently.

A video message to Oh Joo Hyung:

PHS thinks Oh Joo Hyung is a terrible person but respects Bae Hyun Jin sunbae a lot. He would often ask if BHJ was okay after an action scene, and BHJ was always so considerate. So thank you again! I love you so much *finger heart* I respect you, sunbae!

HHJ: I li..lo..er, like you, too. (She has great difficulty in saying this, lol.)

HJ says she had a hard time not crying when Haeseon sunbaenim was dressed up and acting (the apartment rep lady). But she laughed yet again when they showed SB giving Oh Joo Hyun that last kick to the groin.

The writer really enjoyed writing this drama, he saw it as a comedy. Like when Oh Joo Hyung was trying to get infected and even that failed—a humble exit, lol. And the apartment rep pretends to be very polite, but she basically goes more crazy at the end than someone who actually has the disease.

They note that when people with the madman’s disease die, their eyes go back to those of a normal human. Because as the director says, in the end, a person is just a person. People just patients with madman’s disease. The real monster is not the disease—it’s just ordinary people (who choose to behave like monsters).

Behind the scenes:

The video Sae Bom watches on her phone from Yi Hyun, that was a surprise from the director and PHS.

The running at the very end was from HJ—she thought walking was not quite on point for the characters. Even if they knew they liked each other by now, they would still be themselves, so a little fighting, a little challenge seemed the image that would be best to end with.

The police car opening is similar to the police car opening of Watcher, which the writer and director worked on together. Are the worlds connected? J

Meaning of the ending of Happiness:

Those who do well end up happy and those who do bad things get punished.

Inserting the police friend at the end was something they originally didn’t have planned, but it seemed to fit.

What does Happiness mean to you?

Director: unforgettable moments, good actors, good writer, good staff…he’ll remember it for a long time.

HHJ: She finds it fascinating that it’s so much more interesting after they finished filming. She cried when making the last making video. Lots of memories. She was a little jealous of Sae Bom, who had Yi Hyun by her side. “Sae Bom, you’ve been happy.”

PHS: Even though it’s been a while since they finished filming, he finds he suddenly misses everyone in the cast, they text each other as a group, and when he watched the making film he called HJ to say he was thinking of Sae Bom.

HSW: He felt a little empty when he finished writing. His heart keeps going back and forth, and personally it’s a piece he really likes.

A word to the viewers:

AGH:  Thank you to the cast and staff for working so hard. He feels so loved and rewarded. Thank you!

HHJ: Thankful for all the support and love from viewers. She is feeling the aftereffects of Happiness, and it’s a drama she will remember well. She hopes the drama was like that for the viewers, too. Be happy, everyone!

PHS: He is thankful to the viewers, and realized that he also became a viewer of the drama, too. He enjoyed watching everyone’s reactions to it and hopes that everyone is always happy.

HSW is just thankful that they could do this, meet the viewers through this video. He hopes you have a happy end of the year.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 1:13 PM, frozentundra said:

So they were not able to make a Bluray in the end, but they did go ahead and film a 32 minute commentary with the writer, director, and main leads. However, it is not subtitled at all. 

It's very, very long and I am not the person to subtitle it. But in the interest of fans who can't understand any of it, I made a summary of it (under the cut). If someone out there provides actual subtitles, awesome, go ahead a drop a link here. 

Summary: 

Reveal hidden contents

Ahn Gil Ho, director

Han Sang Woo, writer

--It was the 2nd most popular drama on SNS in 2021. AGH the director was disappointed with the low ratings but HHJ was satisfied. It aired late at night, which makes it hard on ratings, but she still felt the results were good.

--HJ said she was suffering the aftereffects of missing Happiness and hadn’t let go of Sae Bom yet. It’s been a while since she felt this way. She says the director needs to take responsibility for this!

--PHS said that the viewers and also the actors felt that way, too. He also thanked everyone for loving Happiness, his first comeback after military service. He got more confidence from that reaction and the result of the drama made him happy.

--The director on Happiness: it’s a disaster drama with some romance. There are some parts he likes and some he doesn’t, but it was fun to work with such great people and he’s thankful to the audience for loving the drama until the end.

AGH (director): First minute good, next minute good. It’s fun. It’s really interesting! Ah, this is a really good story, let’s hurry up and do it.

HHJ: She read the first 4 episodes at once and felt the character of Yoon Sae Bom was like a gift. She was really anxious to play the role because it’s not common to find a character that really is like her. Her friends were like, you have to do it, right? Sae Bom = 100% synchronization with HJ.

PHS: Agrees with the writer that it’s a story he’s never seen before. He thought each character was distinct even though there were a lot. He was fresh out of military and had a good physique and thought he could express a reliable character together with the director, writer, and HHJ.

ASW (writer) came up with the story that takes place after the covid era, where everyday happiness has been damaged and broken. Each person may have a different view of happiness, and he wanted to talk about all those different stories. But he didn’t have this title in the beginning. He wrote 4 episodes and showed them to the director who was like, Infection?? What kind of title is this? So they talked about it and came up with the title Happiness, which they feel is perfect.

HJ asked why the e was upside down. The director said well, it has many meanings that people can interpret differently, so I will just say “no comment.” So the rest started guessing English words like “everything” or “evil.”

HHJ and PHS think that it shows that at the end, the problems were corrected and they could go back to their everyday life. The director thinks that maybe it can’t be exactly like before, but that’s his wish, too.

ASW: That ending was planned from the beginning. There was a lot of opposition from the people around him, but personally? He wanted to write a happy drama.

Meanwhile, they didn’t tell the actors if it would be a happy or sad ending, it was like top secret.

Q: There’s one interpretation from some people that the ending is just Sae Bom’s imagination to which HJ says, “?!??!?” PHS says, such a tragedy. Maybe they think we’re breaking the fantasy?

Director’s pick: when the people in the gym keep clashing with each other and fighting. It was fun to go edit that afterwards. The actors really worked hard and it was a great experience.

Writer: when Yi Hyun reveals that he’s got the disease in the elevator and says his lines to Sae Bom. Yes! Romance achieved, lol. Starting today, Romance Master Han. Sang. Woon. (lol. Writer is funny.)

Q: Happiness has no romance? (referring to the earlier promo clip where HHJ and PHS said it was not melo.)

HHJ said that really, REALLY, they didn’t think there was any melo. Even after filming it! She thought it was about survival. Then after filming it, she watched the show and was shocked. They filmed a melo! The music really added to that effect, like in the elevator scene. And then HHJ realized the director intended it to turn out this way.

PHS says that he did feel the emotions of the moment in the end when he’s run into the room and hidden and then Sae Bom comes in.

So basically, everyone knew it was a melodrama except the leads who you know, actually filmed the drama. Lol.

HHJ thought the lines Sae Bom says in that scene stress the importance of togetherness and happiness: “Home,” “It’s important who you are with,” “Let’s stay together forever.” There are just a lot of comforting situations and lines.

On the opening scene on the rooftop, the sky is CGI and everything else is real. PHS really fell from a height, suspended by a crane. IT WAS NOT CGI. HJ thought her knees were shaking up there, wasn’t he scared?

HJ says the expressions were good and the director really was pleased with that scene, too.

--On the later rooftop scene when YH is infected and just sent SB off to safety…The writer says that what YH likes most is Sae Bom and baseball, and now he has to give up both of them. PHS says he really liked this scene, where YH had this dream he couldn’t fulfill. Also, he really got into this scene, where he just yells out his frustration from the roof. In real life while filming, some random neighbor yelled back, Ahhhhh! What is it?!”  PHS says sorry. He was just too immersed in acting. J

HJ says that first of all, he did ask her out in high school. To which PHS says, that’s right, I’m sure you (SB) had a crush on me (YH). But HJ questions this—really, for over a decade, you’ve been the ONLY guy to like me? We graduated from high school and now I’m in my 30s…

PHS: Yes! Of course. Um…It’s just… She was the first person he met on the rooftop. So what about Sae Bom?

HJ says for SB it was when she hugged YH by the front entrance. When she realized that she felt comforted and reassured when Yi Hyun was by her side. She thinks that’s when Sae Bom started liking him.

Q: On the elevator scene, what were they trying to show with the flashing lights?

The director says it was actually in the script. They all worked hard in that scene and remembered how funny it was when they were trying to get the lights faster or slower, randomized for the scene. And they cheer on the lighting director.

Ah—HJ remembers that PHS called her “hyung” that day (term used by a guy to an older male). PHS is like…please forget about that! It’s not hyung (guy to older guy), it’s noona (guy to older girl).

Action scenes

YH clip when he slides over the top of the car: “If you touch Sae Bom, you die.”

They all praised the soundtrack. The writer and director didn’t want a lot of music (of the normal drama sort), so they went with this western sounding music. There was a clip they showed of Ji Soo and Han Tae Seok driving with the music that is usually used for SB and YH, which HJ questioned. The director said that Jo Woo Jin suggested it. It’s supposed to mean that everything is connected. Anyway, they all thought the music selections were perfect.

The writer says this was a very difficult role. In one sense he is selfish but there are times when he shouldn’t be seen as entirely hateful on screen.

The writer says yes! He was born well and is living safely with his family. Even though Han Tae Seok is a bit reckless of a person, he’s going to be a happy dad. Whew!

HSW says that some of it he’s seen in his life. (What kind of life have you lived?!) He says well, maybe to some I’m a villain. The amazing thing is that there are real people like the apartment head lady and Oh Joo Hyung out there. Sometimes reality surpasses fiction…

While filming the Andrew parts, HJ didn’t have any clue about him, but PHS was a bit suspicious of him.

Ha!  Oh Joo Hyung! HSW says that other villains weaken a bit when they show compassion for others, but Oh Joo Hyung is the only one who remained free from any of that.  He’s the kind of villain who harms society most, and the writer worked hard on him.

PHS: At first I was so angry at Oh Soo Hyung, but later when I watched the drama, I respected his cute style (lol). I mean…he woke up after being hit by a golf club, but hey, there was a Next pill in front of him, and he was so cute to pick it up and eat it. It was seriously a madman disease!

PHS thinks Oh Joo Hyung is a terrible person but respects Bae Hyun Jin sunbae a lot. He would often ask if BHJ was okay after an action scene, and BHJ was always so considerate. So thank you again! I love you so much *finger heart* I respect you, sunbae!

HHJ: I li..lo..er, like you, too. (She has great difficulty in saying this, lol.)

HJ says she had a hard time not crying when Haeseon sunbaenim was dressed up and acting (the apartment rep lady). But she laughed yet again when they showed SB giving Oh Joo Hyun that last kick to the groin.

The writer really enjoyed writing this drama, he saw it as a comedy. Like when Oh Joo Hyung was trying to get infected and even that failed—a humble exit, lol. And the apartment rep pretends to be very polite, but she basically goes more crazy at the end than someone who actually has the disease.

They note that when people with the madman’s disease die, their eyes go back to those of a normal human. Because as the director says, in the end, a person is just a person. People just patients with madman’s disease. The real monster is not the disease—it’s just ordinary people (who choose to behave like monsters).

Behind the scenes:

The video Sae Bom watches on her phone from Yi Hyun, that was a surprise from the director and PHS.

The running at the very end was from HJ—she thought walking was not quite on point for the characters. Even if they knew they liked each other by now, they would still be themselves, so a little fighting, a little challenge seemed the image that would be best to end with.

The police car opening is similar to the police car opening of Watcher, which the writer and director worked on together. Are the worlds connected? J

Inserting the police friend at the end was something they originally didn’t have planned, but it seemed to fit.

Director: unforgettable moments, good actors, good writer, good staff…he’ll remember it for a long time.

HHJ: She finds it fascinating that it’s so much more interesting after they finished filming. She cried when making the last making video. Lots of memories. She was a little jealous of Sae Bom, who had Yi Hyun by her side. “Sae Bom, you’ve been happy.”

PHS: Even though it’s been a while since they finished filming, he finds he suddenly misses everyone in the cast, they text each other as a group, and when he watched the making film he called HJ to say he was thinking of Sae Bom.

HSW: He felt a little empty when he finished writing. His heart keeps going back and forth, and personally it’s a piece he really likes.

A word to the viewers:

AGH:  Thank you to the cast and staff for working so hard. He feels so loved and rewarded. Thank you!

HHJ: Thankful for all the support and love from viewers. She is feeling the aftereffects of Happiness, and it’s a drama she will remember well. She hopes the drama was like that for the viewers, too. Be happy, everyone!

PHS: He is thankful to the viewers, and realized that he also became a viewer of the drama, too. He enjoyed watching everyone’s reactions to it and hopes that everyone is always happy.

HSW is just thankful that they could do this, meet the viewers through this video. He hopes you have a happy end of the year.

Thank you so much for the translation. Have been trying to understand bits and pieces from various places but yours provided the most complete information in its actual flow. 

Greatly appreciated!!

Edited by Emily Bett
Please don't quote pictures, videos, GIFs, and embedded content, thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Burger Bun said:

Thank you so much for the translation. Have been trying to understand bits and pieces from various places but yours provided the most complete information in its actual flow. 

Greatly appreciated!!

I don't have the capability to do subtitles, and the thing is LONG. But at least this gives you what is going on in each section. I'm glad it's helpful!

• Like 1

Soompi Forums Awards: The best k-dramas of 2021? Please vote!

Now is your chance to show your love for your favorite dramas of 2021. In the Soompi Forums Awards poll you can vote for the dramas you liked the most last year. :kiss_wink:

Which dramas will be the winners?

winner-icegif-9.gif

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

On 1/5/2022 at 7:13 AM, frozentundra said:

Summary: 

Reveal hidden contents

Ahn Gil Ho, director

Han Sang Woo, writer

Action scenes

Behind the scenes:

A word to the viewers:

Thanks for the summary. It added a lot more context to the drama.

I find it amusing how the main leads had no idea it is a melodrama. I guess they were so immersed in survival mode, like their characters were, that they had no time to consider romance. 

Something random, I recently saw screen shots of Yi Hyun's wrist watch. Apparently the watches are very expensive and the assumption is Yi Hyun could have bought Sae Bom a apartment if she wanted one without government support.

I really enjoyed Happiness. All the actors owned their characters. The combination of the script, acting and music made the drama amazing. I only wish we got to see more of Yi Hyun and Sae Bom's post-lockdown life.  

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1