[Drama 2021] Happiness, 해피니스- Han Hyo-Joo, Park Hyung Sik & Joo Wo Jin

larus

3 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Also, completely unrelated to anything else, but the cleaner guy looks uncannily like Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) of the 1971 version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. 

:lol:.  I thought he looked familiar but you’ve hit the nail on the head.  Pity the zombies don’t look more like Oompah Loompahs.

No time to watch this weekend.  Probably have to just read spoilers and catch up early next week.

TVN really, really should have sold this to Netflix instead of holding it back on TVING. It's very well written and it's just similar enough to the current pandemic that it's really unnerving. It's a bit cathartic and makes you feel seen, you know? I think on some level, most people can relate.

I agree.  It’s like talking about COVID without actually talking about COVID?  Looking at it from a bird’s eye view.  And there are so many things that just hit home because it’s relatable.  The lockdown of the whole apartment complex (uninfected and infected).  The panic buying.  The class divide where those who are more well off can afford to just sit it out.  Others just can’t.  Making the most of little moments of joy (picnic on the rooftop) in spite of chaos around. 

• Like 5

I think we can all agree that Oh Joo Hyung is a…-insert all the harsh and mean words here- Like he is really pushing it :evillaugh: Well with Hyun spreading blood all over his face, I wonder if he accidentally tasted (?) some so he is possibly infected now!

I don’t like the preview for episode 6 at all because it looks like Oh Joo Hyung and Oh Yeon Ok (the woman who is “in charged” are going to do some bad things next episode and plot even to get the drug? Geez this is just going to be a mess. The whole being stuck in the apartment is giving me Sweet Home vibes. Of course everyone can’t work and survive this together because of how selfish and greedy people can be.

I definitely agree with everyone and this show is so well-written so far. I feel like many people can relate to it too because not only does covid exist in this drama world but the drama implicitly reference what the world has gone through because of the pandemic. It’s just as @frozentundra and @nrllee said.

I’m wondering how the drama will end though and if there will be an antibody released (I’m assuming it’s through Sae Beom though)… I hope the drama doesn’t try to do a season two. Dramas nowadays have been adopting multiple seasons and it really makes me cry inside but we can save that topic for another time. Other thoughts I had about the drama: Andrew…I feel like he is knowledgeable about this disease/virus which is why he knew to hide in the market when the blogger (?) (what’s his name) discovered the infected. Also that grandma, You. Are. Killing. Me. You are OBVIOUSLY INFECTED BUT SHE ISNT SAYING ANYTHING. Now granted I’m sure she’s scared BUT STILL, LIKE WOMANNN YOU ARE RISKIN YOUR WHOLE FAMILY. Okay, I’m done ranting now…

Finally, Hyun blowing up like that. Completely understandable and don’t blame it. He’s been holding it in all this time but we all agree that Joo Hyung is a jerk and he deserved that. 

• Like 7

Park Hyung Sik And Baek Hyun Jin Butt Heads Once More In “Happiness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 20, 2021
by L. Kim

Tension is going to escalate in the next episode of “Happiness”!

“Happiness” is an apocalyptic thriller that takes place in the near future, set in a high-rise apartment building stratified by social standing. The building is sealed off when a new infectious disease emerges in the city, and the drama will depict the residents’ fear, fierce psychological battles, and desperate struggle for survival within the closed-off building. Han Hyo Joo stars as Yoon Sae Bom, a tactical agent in the Seoul Police Special Operations Unit, while Park Hyung Sik stars as detective Jung Yi Hyun, her former high school classmate who has feelings for her.

Spoilers

Previously on “Happiness,” there were additional infected patients, and the remaining residents struggled to survive in the midst of chaos. Oh Yeon Ok (Bae Hae Sun), who grew frightened after witnessing others getting infected, blocked the door so that the people who went to get food, including Yoon Sae Bom and Jung Yi Hyun, couldn’t re-enter the building. To make things worse, Oh Joo Hyung played a file containing the sound of his wife when she got infected with the disease. Furious, Jung Yi Hyun gave Oh Joo Hyung a stern warning.

The newly released stills foreshadow a tense confrontation between Jung Yi Hyun and Oh Joo Hyung. The devious doctor is making fishy moves again, causing chaos in the building. He arrives at the gym, the place where the problematic medication NEXT was distributed, in order to visit Kim Seung Beom (Joo Jong Hyuk), the personal trainer who was quarantined separately in case he’s infected.

happiness-36.jpg

Spoiler

happiness-46.jpg

In another photo, Kim Jung Kook (Lee Joon Hyuk) hands Jung Yi Hyun a gun, and Jung Yi Hyun checks his watch with a cold face. Oh Joo Hyung looks terrified about what will happen next, raising questions about why they are all gathered at the gym.

happiness-52.jpg

Spoiler

happiness-17.jpg

happiness-27.jpg

The drama’s producers shared, “People who feel threatened with survival will become more sensitive. They are wary and suspicious of each other due to extreme fear that anyone can become infected. A strange war of nerves among the apartment residents will portray another crisis behind the infectious disease.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1499518wpp/park-hyung-sik-and-baek-hyun-jin-butt-heads-once-more-in-happiness

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, ferily said:

Also that grandma, You. Are. Killing. Me. You are OBVIOUSLY INFECTED BUT SHE ISNT SAYING ANYTHING. Now granted I’m sure she’s scared BUT STILL, LIKE WOMANNN YOU ARE RISKIN YOUR WHOLE FAMILY. Okay, I’m done ranting now…

I think writer nim is trying to portray the different reactions people have to catching the disease.  The grandma’s response is real.  It happens in COVID.  Many times over.  We see it in the news.  People having the symptoms of COVID yet they choose NOT to get tested?  Some end up dying at home as a result and they are only pronounced with the disease post mortem?  Or worse still infecting the rest of their family because they were in denial?  Pandemics make people harbor irrational fears and make decisions they are unlikely to in a normal situation.  

Also given this zombie apocalypse is happening post COVID (it is set in 2023 where the pandemic is presumed to be past us), I think writer nim is asking us the question if we have learnt anything from it?  Are there things we would do differently post pandemic?  Or will we revert to our worst selves when the next one rolls along?  Are we worse than the zombies?  Have we lost our humanity? 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, nrllee said:

:lol:.  I thought he looked familiar but you’ve hit the nail on the head.  Pity the zombies don’t look more like Oompah Loompahs.

Honestly, in a way Happiness and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are the same story.  You have a bunch of people confined in a building, the people running the show are crazy, and there are all these things along the way (including ingestible things) that people are tempted to try out based on their particular character weaknesses. When they take the (unfinished, not fully tested, unapproved) concoctions, they blow up like blueberries, or bite people in the neck. One can only hope for someone sane to survive at the end.

For me it's a tossup whether I hate Oh Joo Hyung or Oh Yeon Ok more. Okay, maybe Oh Joo Hyung. But that housing lady needs to be smacked as well.

7 hours ago, ferily said:

Also that grandma, You. Are. Killing. Me. You are OBVIOUSLY INFECTED BUT SHE ISNT SAYING ANYTHING. Now granted I’m sure she’s scared BUT STILL, LIKE WOMANNN YOU ARE RISKIN YOUR WHOLE FAMILY.

Agree in part, although I also feel that she keeps trying to tell people, but her family members are too self-centered and keep brushing her off. She even straight-out asked her son if he thought her symptoms were Lytta, and he said, nah, that's just old age, and ran out the door to go film some more. I think she knows and is scared, and yes, it's like some responses people have today to covid, too, where maybe they don't want to get tested because they are scared and knowing will make it real? The thing is...I highly doubt she is the only one in that building. There's the thirsty trainer guy, and the creepy apartment head lady who was sipping on stuff (and from the previews to ep 6 has some of the pills, too), and well. Basically any time anyone takes a drink of anything I'm like, you too?

But hey...at least someone at the raid on the store picked up toilet paper, so I can rest easy on THAT one, lol. :D

• Like 4

4 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Agree in part, although I also feel that she keeps trying to tell people, but her family members are too self-centered and keep brushing her off. She even straight-out asked her son if he thought her symptoms were Lytta, and he said, nah, that's just old age, and ran out the door to go film some more. I think she knows and is scared, and yes, it's like some responses people have today to covid, too, where maybe they don't want to get tested because they are scared and knowing will make it real? The thing is...I highly doubt she is the only one in that building. There's the thirsty trainer guy, and the creepy apartment head lady who was sipping on stuff (and from the previews to ep 6 has some of the pills, too), and well. Basically any time anyone takes a drink of anything I'm like, you too?

Actually very true. The family is selfish and ignorant to her and that frustrates me too. If they would just listen to her then they can find out that she got infected. However, she clearly knows that she got scratched. She hasn’t mentioned that to anyone as well so that’s what frustrates me too..

This whole situation is just a mess..

• Like 3

tvN’s “Happiness,” which airs later in the night, claimed first place in its time slot across all cable channels with an average nationwide rating of 3.1 percent. The drama also remained first place in its time slot among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it earned a nationwide average of 2.0 percent.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/the-red-sleeve-records-its-highest-ratings-yet-in-close-race-with-now-we-are-breaking-up/#ixzz7Cp2gpvua

• Like 2

I haven't been any more frustrated watching a drama since Sky Castle :isannoyed: Like honestly why are people so dumb?! There are so many things in today's drama that got me angry and internally screaming, "WHYYYY"

Literally Sae Beom, Hyun, and Hyun's police officer partner are the only ones that I trust right now and are ACTUALLY sensible. (I might not be listing a few other characters because who knows what they will do in future episodes) Seriously, I don't understand why the heck people would want to go out when there are people who are infected, smh...

Ugh who knew the guy in floor 15 would actually end up being a suspicious person. After letting Sae Beom in like that, I don't trust him at all.

Well now the apartment has been infested because of the dumb streamer guy and the part-time worker girl, which by the way, why the hell is she even helping him?! Like she L I T E R A L L Y  witnessed what the infected are like. Smh... Of course Oh Joo Hyung is up to no good as well. Also this episode pretty much confirms that Kim Seung Beom is infected and will definitely cause trouble.

Aside from the frustrations, I am still really liking the drama and can't wait for the next episode. We are at the halfway point for this drama so bring on the action!! I think next episode, we will see more and more people in the apartment become victims. The numbers are slowly dwindling...

• Like 4

Watch: Han Hyo Joo Surprises Park Hyung Sik With Her Witty Ad-Libs Behind The Scenes Of “Happiness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 21, 2021
by S. P

tvN’s “Happiness” has taken viewers behind the scenes of episodes 5 and 6!

“Happiness” is an apocalyptic urban thriller set in the near future inside an apartment building that is stratified by social standing. The high-rise apartment is sealed off when a new infectious disease emerges, and the drama depicts the fear, psychological battles, and desperate struggles for survival that ensue.

The clip begins with the cast members toying with Lee Joon Hyuk’s camera and also playing with the child actress Song Ji Woo. A hilarious moment then occurs during filming when Lee Joon Hyuk chases Park Hyung Sik outside the apartment, but is unable to open the door to go back inside. At a loss, he sheepishly rings the doorbell to the raucous laughter from the surrounding staff.

Lee-Joon-Hyuk.jpg

Next, the actors head to the supermarket, where they run through the actions required for the scene. As the staff work on adjusting the height of the shutter that has to be pulled down during the scene, they accidentally raise it up to an impossible height. However, Park Hyung Sik surprises everyone by leaping up and grabbing the shutter’s bottom edge.

In another clip, Han Hyo Joo and Park Hyung Sik sit across the table from each other for a scene where they share drinks. After opening her beer can and taking a sip, Han Hyo Joo suggests they film again as the foam from the can kept spilling over. She gestures at Park Hyung Sik, pointing out that he keeps wiping at his shirt as well.

Han-Hyo-Joo.jpg

The two actors immerse themselves in the scene as filming begins. They wrap up their lines and continue sipping on their drinks as they wait for the director to say, “Cut.” When the silences stretches on, Park Hyung Sik whips out an ad-lib as he says, “I’ll join you.” Han Hyo Joo surprises him when she shoots back, “Isn’t that obvious?” When the scene finally ends, the pair can’t hold back their laughter at the abruptness of her reply. As Park Hyung Sik sips at his drink in another take, Han Hyo Joo tells him, “Bottoms up!” His eyes instantly widen with shock at her ad-lib, and afterwards he jokes, “She’s raising me to be strong!”

Later on as Han Hyo Joo waits for filming to begin, she meanders around the room doing various stretches. She soon ropes in the other cast members, and as they roll their necks around in slow circles Park Hyung Sik jests, “This is her yoga class.”

Spoiler

https://www.soompi.com/article/1499737wpp/watch-han-hyo-joo-surprises-park-hyung-sik-with-her-witty-ad-libs-behind-the-scenes-of-happiness

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ferily said:

Like honestly why are people so dumb?! There are so many things in today's drama that got me angry and internally screaming, "WHYYYY"

I feel like this is a biting commentary on real life, too. It would not be too hard to find real-life examples of all of these behaviors. Which is probably why we have this kind of strong reaction to the drama people. ARGH! WHY are you doing this thing that is so STUPID??!!

• Like 3

I feel like this is a biting commentary on real life, too. It would not be too hard to find real-life examples of all of these behaviors. Which is probably why we have this kind of strong reaction to the drama people. ARGH! WHY are you doing this thing that is so STUPID??!!

Yes that’s the sad part too… There are people like this in real life too.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ferily said:

Ugh who knew the guy in floor 15 would actually end up being a suspicious person. After letting Sae Beom in like that, I don't trust him at all.

I kinda feel like Penthouse guy may still be uninfected.  He’s a doomsday prepper (people who stockpile stuff because they think the end of the world is near).  We are shown another gym trainer trying to sell Penthouse guy the pills but we aren’t shown him buying it?  Or taking any?  If he did buy them, he may have just added them to his stockpile and not have taken any yet.

Question is what is Evil Dermatologist going to do with the stash of pills he picked up from the gym trainer’s car?  I can’t see him taking them himself?  He was petrified when he thought he was infected when YH smeared his face with blood.  Will he get the mistress to take it?  And she may inadvertently infect lewd lawyer guy who seems to be keen to flirt with her.   Or will Dermatologist try to poison YH and SB and turn them to zombies?  

But yeah lots of facepalm moments with stupid decisions made by the residents. 

• Like 3

Watchin' this show is SO STRESSFUL. It should come with a health warning tsk. I am so pissed and done with majority of the characters that I just want them all to turn into zombies.

Excluding our otp with Seo Yoon of course LoL. Even Tae Seok is gettin' on my nerves now. If what he says in next week's preview that he doesn't care who gets bitten - WoW. I. Am. So. Done.

Good call by Yi Hyun that fitness trainer be cuffed 'cause I didn't expect him to turn at all. That damn Ju Hyung tsk. Added to the list is the damn lawyer. Lady you need to divorce that loser! He's already considering of goin' astray with Ju Hyung's side chick.

Why's the side chick so loyal ha-ha!? Don't tell me that @$$ is good in bed!?:unamused: She appears to be lookin' for somethin' in the apartment..? Never figured the doomsday maniac to fall for the Next pills as well - disappointing. Why isn't anyone curious on Andrew LoL? He seems to have a know-how to avoid these zombies.

I am done also with the freaking old couple. It's rare for South Koreans to have kids so late. What happened LoL? Maybe that's why they advise women to have kids when they're young? So the kids have no problems like slow mental development etc. Not to mention it's selfish to bring a child into the world when you're aged. Health is an issue among others.

The son is so rude, entitled to his mom. And with the same attitude from the dad, it's not surprising to see how he ended up the way he did?! On top of that why is she cowering in fear over her hubs and son geez.. she should have forced the son to move out & fend for himself. Another loser mooching off of his folks and a coward at that. 

All everyone in Sae Bom's apartment complex seem to care about is money. Is it that important over your life?! Seriously people? That useless bro got bitten he deserved it what an @$$. He still cared about hierarchy - "hey I'm your older bro don't speak to me that way"

Glad he got bitten. Good riddance. Oh one more before I end my rant ha-ha. For all her classiness, and appearing to be cultured & all, that building rep. lady's apartment is sparsely furnished? Like even someone who's on a tight budget as Sae Bom has a decent apartment LMFAo.

We're at halfway point in this drama with another 6 ep. to go. Dear Lord I hope I can get through this ha-ha. G'luck to Sae Bom/Yi Hyun couple. May the luck ever be in your favor.

• Like 3

I wondered about the building rep's apartment, too. Why does it look like she lives in a closet??  So weird. 

Also, they all seem so susceptible to the temptation of money. Why?? Where do they think they can spend it? I guess they don't know as much as we do about the outside world. Maybe they think that literally within a week they'll be free. Still...no amount of money can buy a cure if there is none. If there is no food left on the grocery shelves, money won't help you there, either. All you can do is...burn it to stay warm? Then again, many of them are so wrapped up inside their own heads that they wouldn't notice if a zombie walked up and bit them (literally). 

I'm not sure if the guy in the penthouse is infected, or if he is just plain weird. I could see SB forcing him to turn over the food for the use of the whole apartment once their food gets cut off. And if any of it is refrigerated, then they may have to use it up so it doesn't go bad once they lose power. But the big question is, did he take any of the pills??

(Side note regarding actors: that building rep lady we all HAAAAAAATTTTEEEE is the same actress who played the sweet, nice desk clerk ghost in Hotel del Luna. Wow. Talk about different characters!!! Nice acting range she's got. !!)

• Like 3

@frozentundra

Ahahah. Even with all that money.. it's useless if they "turned" y'know? I mean they will be strapped to the bed like Tae Seok's wife, what good will all that money be then?? 

The building rep. ahjumma has played several roles since "Hotel Del Luna". She was a rather clueless mom on "Doo Shim The Shaman". 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@frozentundra

Ahahah. Even with all that money.. it's useless if they "turned" y'know? I mean they will be strapped to the bed like Tae Seok's wife, what good will all that money be then?? 

The building rep. ahjumma has played several roles since "Hotel Del Luna". She was a rather clueless mom on "Doo Shim The Shaman". 

Yes, I JUST finished watching that one. :D