[Drama 2021] Happiness, 해피니스- Han Hyo-Joo, Park Hyung Sik & Joo Wo Jin

larus

EP 11:

Spoiler

WHEN YI HYUN HAS HIS BACK TO ANDREW AND THE GUN POINTING AT HIS HEAD THEN THE ZOOMING OUT. I WAS AT THE EDGE OF MY SEAT AND PREPARING TO THROW HANDS AT TVN. I THOUGHT ANDREW GOING TO SHOOT HIM. I WAS GOING TO CRY. WHEN YI HYUN BITES ANDREW, IT'S SO SATISFYING. THE PSYCHO DR WILL NOT DIE WON'T HE? THE FAKE REP LADY IS NEXT PLEASE. SHE NEEDS TO GO. 

Why are others are out playing and about when the whole city is on lockdown? Is the apartment the only place that is on lockdown? I found the lockdown super sus at first like the military are outside like they're with the university campus. 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2

That was my other question--was SB dreaming, or were the people playing and having a normal life for real? 

I wonder if the YouTuber's parents are still alive? We haven't seen them in quite a while, actually. He semi redeemed himself, I am okay if he and parents survive. And please help the writer and her brother out. Everyone else can eat each other for all I care!

• Like 4

Ju Hyung's side chick turning on him was satisfying so was Andrew gettin' attacked by Yi Hyun but for how long LoL? Yi Hyun is right these people are far worse than the ones that are "infected".

So that was what that tattoo was ha-ha!? His crypto password geez. G'luck to that dumb@$$ lawyer in figuring it out. So proud of his wife for leaving him. His side chick looked creepy as heck.

The cleaning couple were crazy. Couldn't help laughing at the lady's ridiculousness! "Should I pull the knife out!?". LMFAo!!

I hate how they're treating Sae Bom.. poor thing she's goin' to be some sort of top secret experimental guinea pig. Awful. And Yi Hyun ah why drama WHY!??! GOD the man made me teary with that phone message damnit.

One ep. away will our otp make it out in one piece?? In preview Sae Bom's antibodies is gettin' less efficient(?)  What about the old couple!? They made the right call in isolating themselves early.. can't say the same for their stupid son.

@frozentundra

I think it was mentioned in previous ep. that they already knew the residents at Sae Bom's apartment complex beforehand to be the only ones who took the Next pills. So they cordon them off for that reason. And to contain Sae Bom for her antibodies or to find a cure or both. 

• Like 4

@NhicarT That’s what I thought too but I don’t think it’s Sae Beom. If you look at the gun that is pointed at Yi Hyun, it’s the same one that Jung Kook ahjusshi has but if you look at the gun that Sae Beom has, it looks like a glock. Seeing the squareish shape and nose of the gun…

Or maybe it is two different scenes of Sae Beom but she has two different guns in the episode.

im just analyzing the preview while waiting for episode 12 to come :loolz:

• Like 3

@ferily @frozentundra i played the preview in 0.5x speed and you're both right, the gun is different from what SB was holding. The one holding the gun was wearing what looks to be a white polo (not just a shirt) so my guess is that it could be HTS. He probably got to the apt before SB (coz he knew SB was going to go back for YH). He shot YH but maybe not fatally but just enough for SB to think he's dying or something when she sees him. When SB leaves or finally agrees to continue with the cure HTS' will get YH to get treated.

• Like 4

Over on cable, tvN’s “Happiness” saw a modest rise in viewership ahead of its series finale. The apocalyptic thriller rose to an average nationwide rating of 3.5 percent for its penultimate episode, remaining first place in its time slot across all cable channels.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/the-red-sleeve-records-its-highest-ratings-yet-as-happiness-sees-rise-ahead-of-finale/#ixzz7Ehk0vA8t

• Thanks 1

Is this pre-released in some other channel?  There are clips appearing of Ep12 on Instagram already so stay away if you don’t want to get spoiled. :lol:.  I am anticipating a happy ending…if only because this drama is named Happiness?  

• Like 2

Han Hyo Joo Enters The Ghastly Apartment Building Once Again To Save Park Hyung Sik In “Happiness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 11, 2021
by L. Kim

Will Han Hyo Joo and Park Hyung Sik have a happy ending in tvN’s “Happiness”?

“Happiness” is an apocalyptic urban thriller set in the near future inside an apartment building that is stratified by social standing. The high-rise apartment is sealed off when a new infectious disease emerges, and the drama depicts the fear, psychological battles, and desperate struggles for survival that ensue.

Han Hyo Joo stars in the drama as Yoon Sae Bom, a tactical agent in the Seoul Police Special Operations Unit, while Park Hyung Sik stars as detective Jung Yi Hyun, her former high school classmate who has feelings for her.

Spoilers

The previous episode showed apartment 101 turning into chaos itself. Oh Joo Hyung (Baek Hyun Jin) and Oh Yeon Ok (Bae Hae Sun) used the murderer Andrew (Lee Joo Seung) for their own selfish goals. This added a layer of terror to the scene, and although some residents were seen struggling between right and wrong, most of them abandoned the last of their conscience to survive. Meanwhile, Yoon Sae Bom was able to escape the building at the expense of Jung Yi Hyun. Viewers were heartbroken when she broke into tears while watching his video message containing his confession, and curiosity is soaring over their fate.

On December 11, “Happiness” released new stills ahead of the grand finale. Yoon Sae Bom has re-entered the apartment, and this time, she’s armed and ready. She’s on her toes as she delves deeper into the building, and her gaze remains sharp and tense as she keeps an eye out for anything suspicious. In one photo, Oh Yeon Ok looks completely engulfed in fear, raising questions about what happened in the apartment while Yoon Sae Bom was gone.

happiness-22.jpg

happiness-13.jpg

The producers teased, “The shocking truth of the infectious disease situation, including the treatment, will be revealed. The final episode will be filled with suffocating tension and lingering feelings. Please keep an eye on the reunion of Yoon Sae Bom and Jung Yi Hyun, who got split up during a crisis, and the conclusion of the residents of apartment 101 who were engrossed in madness.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1503196wpp/han-hyo-joo-enters-the-ghastly-apartment-building-once-again-to-save-park-hyung-sik-in-happiness

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

Is this pre-released in some other channel?  There are clips appearing of Ep12 on Instagram already so stay away if you don’t want to get spoiled. :lol:.  I am anticipating a happy ending…if only because this drama is named Happiness?  

Not sure but I think if you are a TVING subscriber you could watch both episodes yesterday. Really quite annoyed with the people posting and reposting spoilers. It's one thing if the drama is out and you just haven't bothered to watch it. Then the spoilers are on you. But it's quite another to for people to post things that aren't even available yet, spoiling the story for others. That's not someone being first--that's just rude. 

While I disagree with some who interpret this drama entirely as romance (it's not a melo? It's a social commentary drama with a zombie background?), I did find the confession scenes yesterday heartbreaking. I hope Sae Bom and Yi Hyun get their happy ending. And I hope HTS and wife and little Wiggly do, too. It was also great to see  SB and YH save as many people as they could on their flight out. They even gave YouTuber boy a chance (although we don't know that he made it). The moment where the lawyer's wife stepped into the elevator and chucked the ring was super satisfying. At this point the only residents I would still save would be the writer and her brother,  as well as the old couple who we haven't seen for some time. The rest can eat each other for all I care!

• Like 4

Has anyone else refreshed a page so much to see if something is uploaded? Well I’m doing that right now for Viki and checking to see if ep12 for Happiness has been uploaded :lol: I need the episode NOW!!!

I caught part of the episode live but the stream stopped working right when Sae Beom heard the gun shot :crybaby:

• Like 2

• ferily changed the title to [Drama 2021] Happiness, 해피니스- Han Hyo-Joo, Park Hyung Sik & Joo Wo Jin

(Carefully avoiding anything upstream of this to avoid spoilers)

4 minutes ago, ferily said:

Has anyone else refreshed a page so much to see if something is uploaded? Well I’m doing that right now for Viki and checking to see if ep12 for Happiness has been uploaded :lol: I need the episode NOW!!!

Me!

Dear Viki: JUST UPLOAD IT!! There have already been spoilers across the internet since yesterday, it doesn't matter if you have subbed it already or not. Just...post it! 

• Like 2

I watched the episode raw and understood most of what happened but will need subs to fully understand the details (and since I’m not 100 percent fluent in Korean).

However, I can’t believe the drama is over :bawling: It has surely been an ride and I really enjoyed each episode of the drama and lost sleep over my excitement for episode 11 and 12… Happiness e flipped back to normal at the end of the episode! Sae Beom learned that her happiness wasn’t in the apartment and owning a home but actually came from a person, Yi Hyun. I think this was one theme that the drama tried to portray and show the viewers and I’m glad that Sae Beom realize how important Yi Hyun is to her :) 

Another element that the drama showed was that despite the infected people going around and was thirsty for people’s blood, it wasn’t out of their OWN WILL and weren’t portrayed as the true monsters in the show. The humans in the apartment were the ones who are the true monsters and this virus just unveiled their true colors. They HAD a CHOICE and it was under their own will that they made the choices they did. Honestly, of course all the bad people aren’t the ones who end up getting infected and it’s our male lead..

Finally, I would say the last element the showes portray and did well is our current situation with the pandemic and coronavirus. I actually love the fact that the drama incorporated covid in it and showed the realism that everyone in the world went through the last two years. Now the drama is set after covid has apparently died down and some people aren’t wearing masks anymore and some are, but still, just the fact that they have covid in this drama world…I appreciate it and was surprised about it. I like how the drama showed behaviors and actions of people during covid (i.e. hoarding items, sensitivity with wearing masks, trying to survive, etc). I don’t know any other drama that included covid in the drama world?

Im glad that we got our happy ending though. I will post more thoughts when I watch it with subtitles..

• Like 3

So I watched episode 12 and all I can say

Spoiler

thank you tvN for not giving us the same old "dude sacrifices his life"-trope. I was so trilled that our ml (actually all the people that were "good") survived because in these hard times it is good to have a happy ending for once! Now I get why this drama is called like that. 

Also, thank you tvN for giving us genuinely realistic and strong female characters –good or bad– who have agency within the story! I liked how the narrative wasn't scared to make the fl just as able as the ml, and that the romance didn't come at the expense of anything.

I was worried that the "zombie outbreak but locked in a building"-plot would turn out to be generic. But the idea that the story happens in a post-covid world was actually cool setting, and concept that that infected could turn back was a great twist that keept the tension high imo!

It was a great ride.

• Like 3

And JUST finished it. Yes, I agree with what you are saying, @ferily, about covid and the real life pandemic we've all faced, as well as where happiness really is found. Not in money or status, but in people. I thought it was interesting how the bad people lusted so much after money and prestige, but it didn't matter if they were coming from the top or the bottom of the social scale. It corrupted equally. Both the doctor with pots of money in his fridge as well as the janitor couple. And yes, the whole thing was a biting (ha! sorry) social commentary not only on social class but also  how real humans react in the face of a pandemic. The main point of it is to say that what makes you human is how you treat other people, regardless of their condition, and what ultimately makes you happy is your choices, your integrity, your treatment of others, regardless of your external circumstances. With every episode, things became more dire, and characters that wanted to conveniently fence-sit were ultimately forced to decide what kind of person they would be, and what/who they would side with. And to reap the consequences (thank goodness, I was going to flip tables if some of those people were not forced to face justice). 

I loved our leads for their consistent efforts to be human, and treat the others around them like humans. "Why don't we just kick him out?" asked one resident of the gym guy. "Because he's a person," Sae Bom said. Yi Hyun's efforts to stay human were heartbreaking. The way the infection changed the bond between the  writer and her brother also was moving. I loved when SB and YH took everyone out that they could when they left, even the infected grocery store girl, and how the writer and her husband took care of YH, even though he was obviously infected. I loved that SB gave that dose to SY's mom. I loved that the YouTuber and his family healed their rifts after some hard choices. I loved smart little Seo Yoon, grabbing the backpack and trying to be resourceful like her unnie SB. (I sure hope she got therapy afterwards, because gosh, she went through trauma!) I loved the heartfelt acting from HHJ and PHS; that scene where SB sees the confession video was just  heartbreaking, and I was so glad they had a chance to tell/show each other how they felt in person. 

Well, maybe I wrote too much here, have to go back and watch with subs later, as I understand some but know I missed some details. But for someone who doesn't normally like zombie stories, but does love HUMAN stories, this one really hit home for me. 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1