[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Imperial Coroner 御赐小仵作

sugarplum892

@Emerald Snow Thanks for keeping us updated about the latest news revolving Wang Zi Qi, an untimely 'scandal'? Though a relationship between both parties who are unmarried really doesn't constitute as a scandal in my books but that has become the norm for a celebrity.  What spurred such an inconvenient timing? Courage that comes with young love? Prioritisation of love over career? Who knows? As you put it, I for one could care less who he dates in his personal life. However, China fans are less forgiving, (actually the Korean ones too but less passionate and zealous as the Chinese ones). I was praying for a Season 2 and with that kind of ending, it seemed very likely that it would be viable, more so as the original novelist was one of the scriptwriters for the drama. Let's see if they can find someone to replace him or if time can 'heal the wounds'. With his stoic face, he certainly had what it took to play the role of Prince An suitably. Dear Drama Gods, please deliver!

• Like 2

I have to say this is a hidden gem. I love how the drama focuses on solving crimes while giving us romance, friendship, brotherhood, and political issues. I never skipped an episode and each episode the pacing was well done. Although some might felt the last episode was rushed I thought it was well planned out. The ending fits our main leads and I do hope for a second season. It’s difficult for a series to have a second season with the same casts. And most second season doesn’t do well. I think there’s only a handful that did well. I believe that with the same writer the quality of the plot should remain the same. But with a new casts it might be challenging. Since our casts left a big impression on us viewers. Sigh another great on screen couple I have to bid farewell to. I hope Prince An and Chu Chu lives happily and continue to solve problems in drama land lol. This is my crazy fan side that can’t let go of them and the show. 

• Like 5

So many recommendations to watch this drama.  So, gave a try and surely it is a awesome show.  Very very different ML and FL.  Love them so much and also the secondary characters are excellent too.  Since our prince do not have any experience in love, he just went into action by directly proposing to our chuchu. Hehe.  No love confession - No dating - straight into wedding. 

ulVnYKw.gif

https://i.imgur.com/5P4EXOQ.gif

I am on ep. 24 and enjoying it so much. 

I like how they are so detailed in finding the cause of the death of the victims.  

Some bts of our OTP

loKSKt2.jpg

Spoiler

abq37ek.jpg

7dsH2p8.jpg

Spoiler

Wvwg1In.jpg

BUIpGIw.jpg

Cr:weibo

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Finally got to episode 30!! It was a bit slow during episode 20-24 for me, they finally ramped up the speed after that. All the plot unraveling is so good, and everything is the consequence of the previous rebellion and struggle in the palace add a really good cohesion to the story and central motivation for most of the characters in the story. 

Jin Yu, Jin Li, Leng Yue, Jing Li, Chu Chu,  I just love their friendship, they just always wants to support each other and be each other wing man/woman lol.

Jin Li princess carry Jin Yu was so :Woah: I wanna see the bts when they did this scene, no way he did it in one go :lol:

Jin Yu just skip to proposing to Chu Chu with no preamble was so shocking!! But also very Jin Yu once he knows what his feelings are he'll immediately act, good man! He was so annoying when he keeps getting angry with Chu Chu in earlier episodes when Chu Chu tried to do something for him and Chu Chu just keep apologising, just make me want to slap the guy. Luckily he redeem himself imho by being straightforward towards Chu Chu and talking to her about his feelings for her. 

Jin Yu or Jin Li is the adopted baby? If Jin Yu the adopted one, it will add a nice fated cohesion that he and Chu Chu are both baby that was born from a corpse, and you don't have to be blood related to have a sense of justice and a keen mind like Xiao Heng. If Jin Li is the adopted one, and Jin Yu is Princess Xiping's biological son, I think it add character to Jin Yu that he's a guy that really doesn't care about status for people that he likes. So yeah I'm fine with either route.

And the interaction between Minister Xue and Jin Yu when Minister Xue keep trying to get whatever evidence he could get or even Chu Chu but Jin Yu keep giving a good reason not to give it to him. I can feel Minister Xue already knows all the rebuttal that Jin Yu will give but has to do it anyway, somehow I can feel his frustration but also resignation that he has to improvise his plan.

Also the irony that Eunuch Qin is information collector but Minister Xue can plot for so long under his nose without him even noticing, just shows that Eunuch Qin has been too comfortable in his place of power and too obsessed with Xue Heng to notice anyone else. Can't wait to watch when he meet Duke Chang as himself, he'll get shock of his life.

Also the eunuch Jin Bao, really thought he was a double agent for Duke Chang, but apparently he's the emperor's agent is a nice surprise. I guess the emperor still plotting how to take back the power from the eunuchs. Also one thing I like is that everybody has their own agenda and desire which might or might not affect other people's plot. It's like everybody have to carefully plan and counter-plan if anything goes awry, which will happen! I have to pay attention and keep guessing who is affiliated with who and which factions.

Leng Yue's grandpa General Leng, not a bad guy was a relief. I was a bit suspicious before the arc in the military barrack, since by all accounts during Tang era, military commander rebelling is like par of the course. And finally the explanation about the missing record, another thing I like about the drama, whatever they show or talk about in earlier episodes they always remember to give the explanation.

So far I'm enjoying the show, the dubbing probably is the weakest part, which is  why I tend to avoid looking at their mouth when they're speaking:sweat_smile: Also Chu Chu's actor Su Xiao Tong, I like her original voice and I think it fits Chu Chu's character, too bad she has to be dubbed.

So yeah we'll see whether I will like the ending or not, since I saw that some people says that it felt rushed.

On 5/25/2021 at 2:29 PM, Emerald Snow said:

Welcome to the party!  It was never explained how Minister Xue became Prince An's teacher.  He probably studied really hard, took the civil exam and placed well, then worked his way up to being in charge of the Hanlin Academy.  Jinli is just a super overprotective mother hen, which we all love.  I rarely see a brother so worried about his brother being portrayed in a drama.  It's usually the brother being overprotective of his sister, but I agree that younger brothers need love too!

Oh that's too bad they never really explained it, since he's also recommended by Minister Jing, who so far, seems very protective of Jin Yu and the safety of the empire. The fact that he can fooled Minister Jing is pretty amazing, since he looks to be a person that's very careful about anything, unless of course Minister Jing is also plotting with Duke Chang, gah! I hope not, Jing Yi will be devastated:persevere:

Sorry for the long post :mrgreen:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SC2019 said:

@kur4p1k4    Jin Yu is the adopted son, he is the son of the General. I thought it would have made a better fit for Jin Li to be the adopted son, but turns out they've intentionally made it so.

Yup, saw that, finally finished Imperial Coroner!! I think maybe the writer wants to make Jin Yu more equal with Chu Chu since both of them are from the same family that was falsely accused of treason. I'm fine with either Jin Yu or Jin Li as the adopted son, but they kind of already set it up when Chu Chu said that Jin Yu facial feature is different from Princess Xiping and Jin Li.

So about the ending I actually like it, finally Chu Chu become a coroner, I don't feel it's rushed, it's actually a good satisfying ending. Even though that means she and Jin Yu is not married yet right? The wedding is a just a ruse and they don't actually go through with it right?

I don't feel it's a rushed ending, the one I feel rushed it's actually when they captured both Eunuch Qin and Minister Xue. Eunuch Sun Ming De made the mistake of leaving evidence when killing the doctor, also even the reason of killing the doctor to force Minister Han to accuse Princess Xiping of lying to the emperor seems very forced, for me anyway this is one of the plot line they could actually delete and I don't think it will affect the story much it might actually give the story more breathing room for the other plot line. And then just killing Sun Ming De in the middle of the room, it's just not like Eunuch Qin.

Also Minister Xue even though all his plans are thwarted by Jin Yu at every turn but he still insist on trying to kill Jin Yu and overthrow the emperor by going to the wedding, which he knows is most likely a trap seems obtuse for him, any good strategist knows you always choose your own battlefield, never fight on the battlefield chosen by your enemy.

So yeah it's just feel like they have to capture all the bad guys, stop the uprising, make Chu Chu a coroner and make sure that the emperor approve Jin Yu relationship with Chu Chu in 4 episodes.

Also the last revelation that Minister Xue is a fake and not the real Duke Chang was a nice plot twist, don't know if it's true or not. It might explain somewhat how he can fake his ancestry to Minister Jing, since he was never the real Duke Chang.

In summary it's a good show, I enjoyed watching it, if there is  a season 2 I hope its goes more with actually checking more weird cases. All the plotting and sabotaging is fun since they plot it coherently and logically, but I was expecting more like procedural cases type of show from the title "Imperial Coroner", like Judge Bao type of show. Romance it's fine it's not overbearing or melodramatic, surprisingly straightforward. All the casts are convincing in their role. But if there's no season 2 I'm also fine, this is a good stand alone drama that doesn't need additional season.

TL;DR: It's a good show, worth a watch

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

@SC2019 Hello ~ Just wanted to pop back in and tell you that I've watched up to ep 34. Just waiting for 35-36 with subs to be loaded on Tencent via YT. I have to say that this is probably one of the best dramas I've seen. I do not watch many C-dramas, but I am so glad that I didn't miss this one.

The court politics and power struggle are well-written. I liked the subtle twist that who appeared to be the rebel was truly loyal (Leng Pei Shan) and the one who appeared to be the harmless was the rebel (Minister Xue). Eunuch Qin was nutty all the way. LOL. Re: Minister Jing, I am relieved that I was proven wrong about my suspicions of him. He acted strangely out of misunderstandings, but he was looking out for the well-being of Tang.

Your theory that Jin Yu was not Princess Xi Ping's biological son was right. Kind of ironic that as the son of Chen Ying, his path turned out to be more like the Prince Consort/Xiao Heng while Jin Li is more like Chen Ying. When Jin Yu overheard Chu Chu's conversation with Leng Yue about his facial features not bearing any similarities to his adopted parents, I knew he would deduce then that he was not their biological son. Still, I got teary-eyed when he and his mother agreed that the truth will not change anything. Not only is he smart, he is so filial and appreciative.

About the kids' friendship. I love how the story kept it pure and genuine. No ounce of back-stabbing. Jin Yu is smart, but the others have their strengths too and contribute to the missions in their own way. They trust Jin Yu's judgment in the same way that Jin Yu trusts them.

Last, I adore Jin Yu and Chu Chu as a couple. I know this is cliché, but they belong together. Their skill set and simple personality fit each other so well. I really liked the part when Jin Yu found out the truth about Minister Xue and was emotionally struggling with it. He shut everyone out including Chu Chu, but she knew where he was coming from and didn't let it affect her. She finally got him to understand that she is there to help share his worries and troubles. Being there for one another is so important in a lasting relationship.

P.S. I really like Leng Yue's grandfather. So fortunate that he and Leng Yue cleared their misunderstanding before it could become too late. It was really cute how he figured out Leng Yue's feelings for Jing Yi. When he had his talk with Jing Yi, I laughed so hard yet was so touched by his gesture to look out for his granddaughter.

Two more episodes! I will miss them.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

I finally finished it all. Jin Yu is indeed a brilliant man and Chu Chu is definitely not your typical lady. Not many would propose to use her wedding to bait the rebels. I have to admire her for putting the country above formalities. They didn’t matter to her as long as Jin Yu was the groom. In the end, the emperor recognized her talent and skills as coroner. Husband and wife will be working alongside each other to solve cases and uphold justice. It was the perfect ending.

Other things I liked about the last two episodes:

I loved that Leng Yue’s grandfather entrusted the keys to the family mansion to Jing Yi. Then, Jing Yi passed it on to Leng Yue. Both have been grieving over the losses of their family members for so long and the mansion was a painful memory for them. But, it was healing to see Leng Yue back in there and also to hear that her grandfather would like come back to the family mansion when he’s back in Chang An. On a lighter note, later when she kissed Jing Yi on the cheek, it was so funny that he demanded that she take responsibility and propose marriage. LOL.

We saw Jin Yu feeding the chickens in the coop built by Chu Chu from the early episodes. So hilarious that they brought it back in the last episode. It was very sweet how Jin Li hugged Jin Yu so tightly when they reunited. They are true brothers - blood or not. I was hoping that Jin Li would also find a partner. It sounded Luo Yan may be his match. Yay!

I liked that it didn’t take long for the emperor to grant marriage to Jin Yu and Chu Chu. Rather, since Jin Yu cleared her family’s name, he believed that he does have a connection to the Xu family and it was fitting that he married their daughter. Allowing him to marry a coroner was breaking noble etiquette, but he overlooked it as a consolation to the Xu family's sacrifice. It was nice to see this side of the emperor’s rationing of the matter.

Princess Xi Ping kept a pair of jade bracelets which were tokens of her and the Prince Consort’s love. She reserved one for Jin Li’s future wife and gifted the other to Chu Chu. The timing of it was perfect. She gave Chu Chu comfort and peace of mind that she has already accepted her as “daughter” just in time for the wedding.

All around, this was a very good story. I will definitely remember this one dearly.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

@kur4p1k4 @taeunfighting Glad you both enjoyed the show. I hope things will die down a bit for the actor playing the ML (reported scandal which really isn't one by my standards) and we will have a chance to watch season 2. If there's any story worth telling, this is one of that should have a continuation, provided they get the author of the novel to do so.

I agree that Chu Chu is such a practical person, and it's refreshing for once to have the FL offer to make a sacrifice for the country. Ever so often, the ML makes the call and the poor FL has to act all self-sacrificing in the name of love. For once, we have the ML actually point out that this is a wedding, it's special and ought not to be marred by such an event. More so, as Chu Chu was held at knife point, and there was an element of danger there, even if the risk had been a calculated one.

I just wish the ending hadn't been so rushed (but hey ain't that the norm?) and there was at least one more moment for the two of them together, some exchange of words, just before the decree by the Emperor was read.

This drama is definitely going into my 2021 list of must-watch shows.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@SC2019 I absolutely adore this show. I didn't get hints of a season 2, but if there were to be one, I'd definitely tune back in. I hadn't heard anything about Wang Zi Qi, but to be honest, I don't know much about the actors/actresses real lives and most "scandals" don't make sense to me. If there are plans for a season 2, hopefully, WZQ will be back. I can't imagine anyone else, but him, be Prince An.

I agree with you. Both Chu Chu and Prince An showed so much character in their choices to balance their wedding and at the same time, stop the coup. Though Chu Chu was willing the sacrifice the wedding formalities, Prince An was adamant that it still needed to be special. You're right that it was nice that it was the ML who highlighted it.

I liked the ending as it is, but now that you mentioned it, if I had been just a few seconds more longer with maybe Prince An and Chu Chu gazing/smiling at each other after the decree was read and accepted, that might have been a fuller close out. Still, I love this show much!

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

@taeunfighting WZQ was caught by paparazzi dating another actress, not the one who played Chu Chu.

Spoiler

China fans were upset because they were shipping these two. I think it's irrational, it's his private life, but that's the way they are. So because of this, there was some concern that he might NOT be able to reprise his role given the negative sentiments. But hopefully with time, this will be forgotten.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 3
  • Thanks 2

@morningdew
Yup..similar with you..I just checked this drama after Avenuex mention it..
Actually I had taken a glimpse before, when it first came out..but I didn't recognize the cast sand just drop it in few minutes..
Then I am looking for other good drama after finishing watching Mouse, and I remember Avenuex..click her youtube and then voila..I find this rare gem

The drama is nice writing, put effort of the detail, good acting wise and has smart and logical plot.. (which is similar with Avenuex opinion, it is quite rare in chinese dramaland)

Even the strory  is quite similar with other drama, imperial power struggle, birth mistery, loving someone who is forbidden..but how they tell the story is captivating..no dragging..no to much misunderstanding between the lead..

And I like that their love story is mature...gradually and sincere...

Even I am not considering the leads as beautiful as other drama leads..but good script and good acting make this drama work...Every actor play it nicely not too exagerating or too cringy
I like the other characters also get good written..I don't skip any of the scene, besides becoz they give hints in every scene, but also becoz every scene is interesting. Just like the eunuch who has great power but he is envy of the general mustache..(I often watched this kind of scene in the film but not in drama)..the brotherhood relation between Jinli and Jinyu...and friendship between Jingyu and Jingyi

I am in 19 episode now, binge it just in 3 days while my homework still piled up :bashful:

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

This marketing team has spent a lot of effort buying positive reviews and trending topics. Typical these days to make something seem popular. This behavior is especially not surprising considering Tencent is involved.

I’ve often seen accounts who mention this show on social media doesn’t talk about the plot or characters. They just reuse the same sentences, which is also true with reviewers, even using identical scripts.

Not strange since many reviewing channels and sites in China are paid to give positive reviews. This is not even a well hidden secret.

On 6/1/2021 at 11:39 PM, Emerald Snow said:

In light of Wang Ziqi's recent dating scandal, I'm not quite sure what is going to happen to plans for a Season 2.  It seems netizens don't really want to see him playing Prince An anymore, so even if there is a Season 2 they will have to write him out or change actors.  I don't really care for his personal life and he can date whoever he wants.  I only care that he did a pretty darn good job at portraying Prince An.  Arguably he is the better actor of the 2 leads.  However, I am pretty sad that he doesn't realize how his actions can affect the entire production.  It wouldn't have hurt to have been caught dating several weeks after promotions for this drama is over.  The timing is just really bad.  What a shame.

He is just dating someone, don’t get why people would be upset, label it as a scandal and care so much about it. He has done nothing wrong. Actors are human and have their personal lives, which has to be respected.

I guess there are too many losers online.

Edited by Psoravior
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just started watching the drama and I love it. I have been looking for C drama ala NIF with intrigues, twists and here it is. I read the first posts but did not want to spoil myself. So, I will read the posts as I go along. The mystery plots and the talent of the coroners as they read the clues from the bodies they examine to solve the mystery is well done. The examination for clues to prove evidence was detetailed and sometimes unexpected and astounding. It keeps me guessing. Excellent drama. I am at episode 13 right now and am intrigued with the revelation of the similar pendants of Chu Chu and Prince An and who Sir Witch Doctor is, the discovery of a eunuch's body and the  proof that Sir Witch Doctor defended himself lying of sitting down because he could not stand and the body carried the ID of a eunuch. It was so detailed the way Chu Chu and the Prince explained the details to prove their point. For now my question is "who is Sir Witch Doctor, and who is Chu Chu? What is the significance of the pendants?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lila21 said:

For now my question is "who is Sir Witch Doctor, and who is Chu Chu? What is the significance of the pendants?

You sure you want the answer, they are spoilers?

If so, click here, if not, wait till you've finished watching.

Spoiler

The Witch Doctor is Prince An's father. Chu Chu is a marquis' daughter (a high-ranking army official's daughter)? Someone who was accused of being a rebel in the infamous rebellion war some years back. of course he wasn't really a rebel, he was framed. And he was loyal to Prince An's father. The pendant was a love token, one was given to Prince An's mother and one was kept by Prince An's father. It was then gifted to Chu Chu when he was about to die, so Prince An recognised it and suspected the witch doctor was his father.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SC2019 said:

You sure you want the answer, they are spoilers?

If so, click here, if not, wait till you've finished watching.

Reveal hidden contents

haha! I am very tempted but will watch then check back, thank you so much 

I've been watching and up to ep 27, enjoying it enormously, and really glad I started. Really lovely to see the brothers' relationship and everyone working together, quite unusual. Nice story, could do with a bit more romance, but that's just me! I have no willpower so I've seen the spoilers, and look forward to everything being tied up nicely!

Poor Wang Yizi, he can date who he likes!

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I marathon watched the drama because I just wanted to know what happens next. This has the earmarks of NIF the intentional killing of battalions of soldiers, the falling off the cliff of the person who comes back to redress the grievance and seek justice for it. The political maneuvers of both the antagonist and protagonist. However, in this drama, the coroners detecting and findings made it very intriguing. Thank you to all who made this drama possible. Well done!!!

• Like 1
  • Blob 1