Su Xiao Tong as Chu Chu
Wang Zi Qi as Xiao Jinyu
Yang Ting Dong
Zhao Yao Ke as Leng Yue
Wang Yan Xin
Guo Qiu Cheng
Mu Huai Hu

Synopsis:

Young girl Chu Chu came from a family of coroners. She travels to Chang'an, and manage to unravel a shocking case that has dragged on for 18 years. After solving the case, she won the Emperor's approval and is finally certified as the Imperial Coroner, finally fulfilling her life goal.

Cr dramawiki

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

Preview:

Coming soon...

OSTs:

Coming soon...

Additional Links:

Coming soon...

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, YouTube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.  PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to @SC2019

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those confused about the family tree, ML's great grandpa Tang Mu Zong (died at 30 from immortality pill poisoning) had three sons that went on to become emperors, Jing Zong (first prince, emperor 

Gee Prince An must be the smartest person alive in that era, and the next few eras? Ending spoiler.  

Hi @morningdew,

I visited earlier and was disappointed to see an empty thread.  Glad to have you igniting the discussions. :lol:

Yes it is such an interesting and exciting drama.  I just finished ep 5.  The pace is very fast.  No deviations, waterings or draggings.  Both the ML and FL are doing well.

This is the first time I'm seeing both of them.  Su Xiao Tong is both cute and pretty.

:bashful:

First I checked this drama after AvenueX mentioned it in her last post.  And was pleasantly surprised to find it quite good and interesting although I'm not familiar with the lead casts except for JingYi.

@hush puppy yes I agree that the pace is fast with no unnecessary draggings.. and seems no love triangle.  JingYi is a good side kick to ML.

13 hours ago, morningdew said:

First I checked this drama after AvenueX mentioned it in her last post.  And was pleasantly surprised to find it quite good and interesting although I'm not familiar with the lead casts except for JingYi.

@hush puppy yes I agree that the pace is fast with no unnecessary draggings.. and seems no love triangle.  JingYi is a good side kick to ML.

@morningdew Same here. That's one of the ways I can find out which drama is worth looking into. Although I don't always agree with her.  E.g. she doesn't like "Go Ahead" &  "The Rebel Princess".  These 2 are among my favourites.

I just finished ep 12. Thoroughly enjoyed it.  This drama is much better than most of the dramas being showned now.  After "The Rebel Princess", I couldn't find anything worth watching.  Those big names don't necessarily guarantee a good piece of work.  Most of them can't even act.

A good plot is more important.   "Imperial Coroner" posesses both a good plot and performance.  I don't even know these Actors and Actresses.  But I'm impressed.

The names of the characters are a bit confusing though :

- Jing Yi (2nd ML)

- Prince An or Xiao Jin Yu (ML)

(The Royal Princes' names bear similarities to those from "Nirvana In Fire": Xiao Jing Yan, Xiao Jing Yu...  Surname is also the same - "Xiao".  But from different Dynasties)

For now, let's enjoy this Thread - all to ourselves then.  Look forward to your reply.

:winkx:

• Like 1
On 5/3/2021 at 7:56 PM, hush puppy said:

@morningdew Same here. That's one of the ways I can find out which drama is worth looking into. Although I don't always agree with her.  E.g. she doesn't like "Go Ahead" &  "The Rebel Princess".  These 2 are among my favourites.

I also don't always agree with her.

But this time I agree that this drama is a very good detective drama just like CSI : Tang Dinasty.

I love everytime ChuChu & Prince An reenacted the crime scenes.  Also like when JingYi is interrogating the bad guys, he is very good in reading people & how he manipulates them in telling the truth. 

1 hour ago, SC2019 said:

@hush puppy @morningdew i am here too. just started watching and loving it! Her Princess Leia hairstyle reminds of Park Min Young!

Yeah.  We got another Friend.  :highonflowers:

But @SC2019  Su Xiao Tong is better.  She is Genuine.   While Park Min Young has had Plastic Surgery.  PMY's original face is not pretty at all

• Wiggle 1

My mother told me to give this drama a try. She knew I would like the detective/mystery aspect of the storyline. Just watched the first episode and absolutely loved it. Both Chu Chu and Prince An have brilliant minds and seem to think very alike. I can tell they will make a dynamic duo. I also like Jing Yi. If he had not given Chu Chu his pendant, I am not sure if she would have been able to take the exams. It should be fun to watch the three of them together. Btw, I wonder if Chu Chu did indeed figure out that Prince An is the mysterious Chief of the Six Gates (though he denies it). I will definitely try to catch up with all the episodes this weekend.

P.S. The closing OST is very pretty.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

... Btw, I wonder if Chu Chu did indeed figure out that Prince An is the mysterious Chief of the Six Gates (though he denies it). I will definitely try to catch up with all the episodes this weekend.

Don’t think he is the chief of Six Gates - the actual chief is supposed to be older.

Just finished Ep. 5. Looks like our Little Goldfish has claustrophobia? Must be something happened to him when he was young? Also interesting thing is, he has photographic memory - he could draw the inn manager even though he had only seen him once.

So cute of him to peel off the grape skin then pass it to Chu Chu for her to eat while they were discussing the case, like an automatic and natural thing to do :fullofhearts:

I can’t help but laugh whenever the old eunuch is shown in his bedroom trying to ‘grow’ facial hair. Is it biologically true that after men go through that process, their facial hair stop growing? And he was so jealous of his minion with the curley moustache that he made him shave it off and threatened to kill off his family one by one if he ever saw one strand of facial hair on him.

Enjoying this cute drama. Lots of lol moments.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

so I am at E13, and it reminds me of another Chinese costume drama from last year (for the life of me I can't recall, the ML was a prince, retired from the army and the FL was from a clan implicated in the poisoning of the then emperor, dressed as a guy and carrying out investigations, later they are joined by a guy who isn't smart but loyal, and a girl who is skilled with poisons. Found it, Maiden Holmes)....AND I am enjoying this show immensely. @hush puppy @morningdew

So @taeunfighting and @omiki this is what is revealed so far by E13, only if you wanna be spoiled

Spoiler

the Handsome Judge is someone imagined by the Prince's father as the ideal judge. The reason is that the Prince can relate to whatever the FL says is because he kept a journal/record and the son then built the investigative office plus other things after reading those journas/records. So by E13, you will know that the girl is adopted by the Chu family, that the Witch Doctor who often told her tales is believed by the Prince to be his father. The Prince's brother, a General guarding the southern region has appeared. And Leng Yue, the granddaughter of a general wielding a lot of power in the Southern region has also appeared.  Why I said this show gives me the same vibes is because now they are a party of four, our ML, our FL, Jing Yi (our playboy but loyal friend) and Leng Yue (their childhood friend, a girl, pretty but who does just as well as a guy when it comes to swordplay).

OK, so I am now at E16, and here's how I feel about it

Spoiler

I am not liking the direction it's going. Chu Chu's been kidnapped by the baddie Xu Ru Gui (hope I got the spelling right) working for the eunuch. And he claims to be related to her mother, supposedly her uncle (mum's brother). He's psychoing her to believe that she has to trust him, instead of our (fish) Prince. Of course our prince has guesse what he intends to do and how he intends to win her trust, being such a smart guy and a great chess player himself. I'll have to wait till tonight to see if she believes in our Prince or not, given that she lost faith in him once before. I hope she isnt' as naive as previously and has greater faith in him. Also, the Prince and his friend have found out/guessed that Chu Chu is the daughter of a high-ranking military official who was party to the rebellion that 'killed' his father. So this is the wedge that Xu Ru Gui is using to cause Chu Chu to be distant from the prince. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is surprisingly engrossing for me as well. I particularly like the male and female leads, he's not too cold and she's not too girly. I have just finished up to episode 18 in two days. Since there's not many of us, I'll join the chat. I think episode 18 is where Prince An realises his feelings after the river scene. I'm surprised his brother didn't pick it up and only berated him for going into the river. At the end of episode 18 is Prince An jealous of the attention Chu Chu is giving to her brother, Chu He?

• Like 1

@AusNoodleLover Welcome! Join the few of us. LOL  I sometimes like the tsundere kind of character but in this case I find the ML very enjoyable to watch and a refreshing change for his gentle and warm character.

Spoiler

I think his friend already pointed out to him in (was it) E17 at the watermill (?) as he poked him in the chest that someone is in his heart and he pushed it away by stating that there are tons of people in there too. But I think you are right, I reckon E18 onwards is where he starts to realise it's not just care/concern, it's more than that. Like he explained, he instinctively jumped into the water without thinking. I reckon his brother is going to realise it soon. I kinda like the difference in characterisation between the brother and him. The brother speaks fast and responds very quickly, and its so nice to see such an overly protective brother (as explained, the childhood incident) whereas our Prince thinks long and hard, and he is very even-tempered (really, really reminds me of the ML in Maiden Holmes). 

AND i wonder whether it's a red herring or something's going to be revealed (you know the two girls were chatting about the physical appearance of both brothers, and our FL pointed out that they don't look like siblings).

5 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@AusNoodleLover Welcome! Join the few of us. LOL  I sometimes like the tsundere kind of character but in this case I find the ML very enjoyable to watch and a refreshing change for his gentle and warm character.

Spoiler

AND i wonder whether it's a red herring or something's going to be revealed (you know the two girls were chatting about the physical appearance of both brothers, and our FL pointed out that they don't look like siblings).

Yes I wonder if a red herring too re Prince An and his brother BUT how does that work

Spoiler

- either their mum or dad or both is not their natural parent(s). Duke Chang's given he's Prince An's mentor? Sorry, how to put this under spoiler? But it's more speculation at this point? They said older brother's protectiveness arose after Prince An fell into the water but maybe the older brother found out something too at that point which made him extra protective? It may mirror Chu Chu where she did not know the Chus were not her birth family.

Remember Prince An's mum dismissed him taking Chu Chu along for the trip because she was of such a  low status she wasn't even in contention? Now that she's found to be from an official's family, mum should be concerned?

@AusNoodleLover i moved it into spoiler for you (hee hee). You click on the eye icon, to the left of the word gif (second row).

Spoiler

you know how they have the typical swapped at birth kinda plot? I was wondering if that's the case... and he may not be of royal birth? OR the child in the water died after saving the General/brother, remember he was ill for many months? So the current prince was brought in as a replacement? Speculations from my end. The reason I said that is so his mum won't have airs about him marrying a soldier's daughter, even if he's a high ranking soldier, the mum may want someone of higher gentry. I recall there's a scene in the opening ost where they both kneel before the mum with the pendants....I wonder if at that point, the witch doctor/father is dead... coz there is another scene of a bag with a body and they all seem to be kneeling before it. Oh I suspect the girl being led into the palace, in wedding ceremonial garb is Chu Chu (first opening scene from OST).

Btw, you recall the part where his brother told him he had been 'bewitched/under a spell' and he had a rather cryptic reply - he said in the past that was the case, and now he was less so. I wonder if he is making reference to the part about his brother and him (different appearance)?

I'm quite amazed that the previous emperor's son has managed to hide his identity so well, in plain sight. Well, the fact that they have revealed to the audience is kinda cool, and now we now the antique shop is run by him/his underlings...

I really like the detail that’s gone into this drama! Nobody seems stupid and the logic is there. The transitions and scene changes are done very well, it doesn’t feel like anything is awkward or strange. Sometimes when I watch dramas I find myself going ‘huh?’ But this drama hasn’t made me do that yet.

You can tell that the main leads care about each other but they don’t spend too much time with tropey stuff (and the scenes that are tropey are usually ‘purposeful’). It’s more realized through their interactions with other characters. I do wish their dialogue wasn’t so obviously changed with the voice dubbing. Either they decided to dub with different content or they misaligned really badly... anyone can comment on this?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@AusNoodleLover i moved it into spoiler for you (hee hee). You click on the eye icon, to the left of the word gif (second row).

Reveal hidden contents

you know how they have the typical swapped at birth kinda plot? I was wondering if that's the case... and he may not be of royal birth? OR the child in the water died after saving the General/brother, remember he was ill for many months? So the current prince was brought in as a replacement? Speculations from my end. The reason I said that is so his mum won't have airs about him marrying a soldier's daughter, even if he's a high ranking soldier, the mum may want someone of higher gentry. I recall there's a scene in the opening ost where they both kneel before the mum with the pendants....I wonder if at that point, the witch doctor/father is dead... coz there is another scene of a bag with a body and they all seem to be kneeling before it. Oh I suspect the girl being led into the palace, in wedding ceremonial garb is Chu Chu (first opening scene from OST).

Btw, you recall the part where his brother told him he had been 'bewitched/under a spell' and he had a rather cryptic reply - he said in the past that was the case, and now he was less so. I wonder if he is making reference to the part about his brother and him (different appearance)?

I'm quite amazed that the previous emperor's son has managed to hide his identity so well, in plain sight. Well, the fact that they have revealed to the audience is kinda cool, and now we now the antique shop is run by him/his underlings...

Spoiler

Thank you SC2019. I am trying out the Spoiler feature now. Clever theory re Prince An's near drowning as a child. What I've learnt from this drama is to keep an eye on the detail, nothing is revealed without some later purpose or connection to be made.

2 hours ago, Sdfntam said:

I do wish their dialogue wasn’t so obviously changed with the voice dubbing. Either they decided to dub with different content or they misaligned really badly... anyone can comment on this?

I have read complaints about this but I haven't noticed it enough to irritate me. What does reduce the credibility of the drama for me is the youthfulness of some of the actors e.g Chu Chu's uncle should look much older than he does, also the Xu family butler,  by way of example. Chu Chu's 18 right and they haven't aged a bit. I thought they could have made it fairer to Chu He to be a bit more handsome to give Prince An a bit of competition.

• Like 1

I am still not fully caught up yet, but I did get to part of episode 13 this past weekend. My first impression from episode 1 still sticks. The writing, pacing and character development are very well done. I love the intellectual chemistry between Prince An and Chu Chu. How they procedurally conduct the case-solving is interesting, and I can’t help but smile when they simulate the cases. They always end up being somewhat romantic. I am like Jing Yi watching how clueless they are about it. :D

So far, my favorite part is when Prince An asked Chu Chu about the embroidery on the handkerchief that she returned to him. Her explanation behind the meaning of the placement of the 5th rib bone and the heart was strangely beautiful. I like that it’s a symbol probably only understood by the two of them.

On 5/7/2021 at 1:41 AM, omiki said:

Don’t think he is the chief of Six Gates - the actual chief is supposed to be older.

Yes, I agree. I spoke too soon. When I watched episode 2, it was pretty obvious that Prince An wasn’t the Chief of the Six Gates (“Handsome Judge”).

On 5/7/2021 at 1:41 AM, omiki said:

I can’t help but laugh whenever the old eunuch is shown in his bedroom trying to ‘grow’ facial hair.

Me too. Although Eunuch Qin is a baddie, his odd behavior in his chambers is hilarious. LOL. The history behind the power struggle between the eunuchs and ministers is interesting as well.

I am looking forward to learn more about what happened to Prince An's father and why he needed to stay in hiding. 

I will read the other comments after I get to episode 18!

• Like 2

@taeunfighting frankly I don't quite get his obsession with the hair, is it because he aspires to be like the emperor or it's purely just envy of men who do (someone asked in this forum if it's true that eunuchs don't grow facial hair, so I had to google and the answer is correct - they don't.) Hope you catch up soon, so you can tell us how you feel about a particular scene in E18...

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, SC2019 said:

frankly I don't quite get his obsession with the hair, is it because he aspires to be like the emperor or it's purely just envy of men who do (someone asked in this forum if it's true that eunuchs don't grow facial hair, so I had to google and the answer is correct - they don't.) Hope you catch up soon, so you can tell us how you feel about a particular scene in E18...

My main interpretation of Eunuch Qin's obsession with mustaches is that he secretly desires to be emperor. It's in his chambers where he can express it by mimicking the emperor. But, I also thought he was being envious too when threatened General Zhou's to shave-off all of his facial hair.

Weekdays are hard for me to fit in dramas, but I'll try to catch up before Thursday hits us with new episodes. :D

• Insightful 1
  • Blob 1