[Drama 2021] Racket Boys, 라켓소년단

Lmangla

Yong Tae ah~ if there were subways & malls in villages, why would city folk want to move then? They might as well stay in the city LoL. 

Is Sol really Se Yoon's friend? Why would she let that Na Ra girl know what her weakness is? 

Nice to see how Hae Kang's parents' relationship began. Hae Kang ah~ maybe you need to watch Nevertheless to get tips yes LoL? But don't be like Jae Eon of course eheh. 

Was it just me that noticed how spacious the closet that Hae Kang & Se Yoon were hiding in LoL!? Like one could lie & sleep in it if they could! 

• Like 1

Okay, I just did a Google search for "racket boys" and am astonished to see:

1/10 · IMDb

7% liked this TV show
Google users

WHAT.

Okay, I do realize that these opinions don't matter but I have never seen such low numbers, ever, for any random show/movie I have ever googled.

I mean, even the movie Cats (2019) which is considered one of the worst movies ever got 23%.

I'm going to guess that people think it's boring and it's a cultural thing.

(I personally find it absolutely delightful and adorable.)

• Like 2

Yongtae is going to be a future council man in the making I think! hehehe

I love the small talks between Seyoon and Haekang. And the last request by Seyoon is so straight forward just like her. Haekang has to either ask her out or win the match that is it.

Yoondam is too adorable with his smiles for Insol.

I thought I was gonna hate Coach Fang a lot, but there is method to his madness. Haekang's dad is his favorite hoobae it looks like.

PS.

Spoiler

Long time ago in the time of renting DVD's I never bothered looking at the rating of the movie I just checked the topline of the story and rented and never regretted watching a movie that way. So I don't regret watching this show and it is so wonderful and makes me happy and attuned with the characters of the show.

Sorry for the long rant.

• Like 3

That was heartwarming how the whole village came together to celebrate gran's b'day. Though her sour faced, brash daughter was way out of line. 

What that man said in defending his wife was very true. That words do kill & can break a person's spirit.. We sometimes don't know what the other is goin' through.. a lil kindness go a long way. 

That was so funny seeing In Sol's reaction on "Train to Busan" ha-ha. It's a great movie btw. The new coach is scary.. yikes. I think Coach Bae had something to do with it. I notice in a lot of korean dramas that they like hitting a lot. Disturbing to see. It's abusive & violent. 

• Like 3

I have the tendency to like actresses more than actors. The first actor that I like was Yeon Jung Hoon. And now the second one is Tang Joon Sang. I LOVE his characters in his last 2 projects. If prison playbook has Looney whose antics i always look forward to. Racket Boys has Hae Kang. I keep repeating his meme-able scenes and that's a lot. Also, that smile! That giddy smile when he runs! Lovestruck Hae Kang is adorable.

This episode we get to see glimpse of the city couple story. I'm curious how the writer will handle this. At one point i agree that the elderly's daughter's words are too much and crossing the line. But the grandma, grandpa, and the village chief's words about kids have no ill intention. They don't know the couple's history. They just engage themselves in a conversation and the conversation naturally goes to that topic.

I discuss this a lot with my friends how these questions about job, marriage, kids, or belongings (like house and car) can be sensitive issues but at the same time we can't be overly sensitive to everyone who brings out that topic unknowingly because sometimes it's an act of courtesy to keep the conversation going, it's a social life anyway. We can't expect to come out of home going places without countering any single person who will not bring those sensitive topic even just once, unintentionally. 

I know exactly how hurtful those kinda words are, even when the speaker means well. I experience it firsthand. But we live in this set standard way too long that it's hard to take ourselves off of setting the standard even to ourselves. For these reasons, i wanna see how the writer will reconcile the city couple and the villagers especially the elderly's daughter.

Finally we know the history of the white wolf. But still, I believe in Bae coach. There must be some untold story behind the assault incident. 6 more episodes, 3 weeks to go.

• Like 1

https://zapzee.net/2021/06/30/k-drama-review-racket-boys-three-reasons-to-fall-in-love/
[K-Drama Review] ‘Racket Boys’: Three Reasons to Fall in Love

by Eunkyung Cho | Edited by Hwang Hong Sun | Translated by Cho EK | images: SBS

There has appeared a series filled with peaceful stories in the K-drama scene, which often deal with provocative subjects such as infidelity, crime, and violence. Racket Boys depicts the growth of teenagers who dream of becoming idols in the badminton world. All the characters have good hearts and aim for a better future without the evil thoughts of betrayal or plotting schemes. What if it’s not fun to watch because they’re all so kind and gentle? We have nothing to worry about because such a benign manner creates laughter and sympathy. Let’s take a look at the three reasons how the Racket Boys captured the viewers’ attention with its tenderness.

We Fall in Love with the Child Actors’ performances Just like We Do with Idol Singers’

1DC03707-6DFF-4FA1-90A9-C47A7FEA31C5.jpg

Racket Boys depicts the struggles of the middle school badminton club, which is on the verge of disbanding, against the backdrop of Haenam, the village on the Southern end of the Korean peninsula. The main characters of the drama are middle school students who aim for the national championship. At first, I was concerned about them. Can these young rookie actors lead the narrative of 16 episodes? Fortunately, the concern disappeared within 10 minutes of the first episode.

Hae Gang, the main character who had quit baseball and moved to the countryside, and the three badminton players from Haenam Seo Middle School, Yun Dam, Woo Chan, and Yong Tae, do their job brilliantly.

Tang Jun Sang, who plays Hae Gang, takes the center of the play by naturally portraying playful bravado and wit. He pretends not to be so caring, but the way he treats his friends brings out joy. Kim Kang Hoon, who takes on the role of Yong Tae, demonstrates the acting skills he has accumulated from When The Camellia Blooms, Mouse, etc. In particular, the perfect Southwestern dialect and genuine emotional acting are attributed to the fun of the play. Other actors also perform stable actings and make up for the absence of adult actors. In addition, because most cast members are minors within a similar age range, the story develops smoothly, and the chemistry gets stronger among them.

Realistic Description of Badminton Games

3337388A-51FB-41AE-AD16-31C2E39FA2DE.jpg

When I found out that it is about badminton, I was more concerned than excited. I wondered if the drama could depict the sport as it is, as much as the expected romance and comedy. Fortunately, Racket Boys makes good use of the theme of badminton as it befits the title and shows high-quality game scenes to increase viewers’ interest.

First, it closely connects the growth of the main characters with badminton. Hae Gang, who once had genius skills but is now full of bluffs, is moving forward by honing his badminton skills. The scene where Woo Chan, who once thought about quitting sports due to the opposition of his parents, hone his insufficient skills and stand proudly in front of his father, creates a moving scene. The drama supports the teen players by portraying them sympathetically pursuing their dreams of badminton.

The badminton game scene, which appeared in earnest after the sixth episode, is also of high quality. The actors realistically show the high-difficulty movements, and the camera captures them vividly. In particular, it captures the characters’ appearances who change from moment to moment in the continuous battle, making the viewers feel they’re watching a real sports game.

We All Grow Up

512B6496-AB8D-4718-8912-631171C682DB.jpg

The drama also skillfully conveys its message. It depicts how children grow despite being defeated and making mistakes. In particular, the main character, Hae Gang, turns into a great player through numerous trials and errors and finally into a decent grown-up. Moreover, the sincerity of the work is felt comfortably without excessive tears or forced emotion through the small episodes with the members.

Adults also grow up together. Hyeon Jong, Hae Gang’s father and badminton coach at Haenam Seo Middle School, was at first a selfish adult who only cared about his own well-being. However, seeing the pure passion of the children, he looks back on himself as a coach and tries to become a better adult. He makes too many mistakes to escape from the disgrace as a nuisance character completely, but at least knowing that he has the will to change makes the viewers lenient on him.

In this way, the drama opens room for growth to all the characters, not to a specific generation or a specific person. In this process, the major takeaway of the drama is strengthened: the meaning of being together, not alone. The series also looks at all the characters with love, thereby increasing the drama’s allure.

Racket Boys will soon finish a passage and tell another sub-narrative. Hae Gang and Se Yun’s brief relationship seems to be coming to an end soon, and Haenam Seo Middle School’s challenge to a higher place will not stop. However, more work needs to be done to resolve the controversy over Indonesia’s disparagement in episode 5 and episodes of rural residents that do not fit the central story. Nevertheless, it is a pleasant drama to watch I’ve seen in a while. We hope that this bright and positive energy will continue in the second half, and we support the national domination of Racket Boys.

Verdict: A mild-flavored yet powerful smashing of fun and excitement! (7/10)

Editor Hwang Hong Sun: A Korean movie buff who wishes that the warm messages in good works will warm up this world at least by one degree Fahrenheit.
Translator Cho EK: I’m a big fan of Korean dramas and movies.

• Like 2

The boys are so playful in the making video.

I pity Yoon Dam but applaud him for playing along and make it look so natural as if it's part of the scene.

Playful Joon Sang trying to be a gentleman when there's camera around.

From the way Joon Sang teases Lee Si Eon after praising him, looks like they know each other even before the show.

Quotable words from Episode 10

Spoiler

Edited by 4evrkdrama
Please use spoiler tags for images/Twitter embedded links/videos more than 3. Thank you.
  • Blob 2

On 6/29/2021 at 12:23 AM, chickfactor said:

Okay, I just did a Google search for "racket boys" and am astonished to see:

1/10 · IMDb

7% liked this TV show
Google users

WHAT.

Okay, I do realize that these opinions don't matter but I have never seen such low numbers, ever, for any random show/movie I have ever googled.

I mean, even the movie Cats (2019) which is considered one of the worst movies ever got 23%.

I'm going to guess that people think it's boring and it's a cultural thing.

(I personally find it absolutely delightful and adorable.)

It's because of the backlash it recieved from Indonesian viewers. I assume it went viral somewhere on social media and they have raided the ratings. It was after that episode where Se-Yoon plays in a competition in Jakarta and gets booed by the crowd. And korean coaching team says that they always provide bad hotel rooms and facilities when they go to that competition etc.

(When the ratings are THAT extreme you can be sure that something must be up. That doesn't just happen because people think it's boring or something^^)

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Young Tae ah aish.. Seeing him in tears I can't help but feel for him.. He was just naive & excited to meet an old friend that it sadly made him lose his guard for a moment. 

Thank goodness for In Sol though LoL. He's like the wild card in the team. They're truly saving the best for last. 

Hae Kang is really his Mom's son. He has her brash & brazenness with passion & ambition. I love how sweet & supportive Coach Yoon's team are. The coach really does shape his team players. 

Felt so sad for the city couple in this ep. No wonder they packed & left for the countryside. I'm glad they feel at home & accepted by the village folks. 

Let's go Racket Boys~

• Like 2

• ferily changed the title to [Drama 2021] Racket Boys, 라켓소년단