[Drama 2021] Racket Boys, 라켓소년단

Lmangla

I was laughing through when Hakang and his captain Bang Yoondam were fighting and loved how it was resolved.

Also I feel everybody will find out that Haekang and Seyoon likes each other. From their parents to their friends. I loved how the growing romance was not rushed but how the story progressed organically and delicately!

Haekang's father seems to slowly going into his coaching persona and care about the sport and the boys needs. It was such a funny scene asking advice how to get to close to the boys from the girls. I hope he is there for them and when time comes they will come to him.

I have no idea why the boys are doing manual labor in the preview!

• Like 2

Hae Kang/Se Yoon couple so cute. I like how the city couple is learning to adapt to country living & being humbled by the elderly couple. The mural was a very nice touch. 

Good to see Coach Yoon be more responsible for a change, though his Jim Carrey crazy facial expressions are still cringe to watch LoL. 

Am worried for Hae Kang in next ep. preview, it seem he's gettin' bullied at a construction site. 

• Like 3

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-drama/article/3136935/netflix-k-drama-racket-boys-rural-sports-comedy-serves
Netflix K-drama Racket Boys: rural sports comedy serves up diverting family fun

• Tang Joon-sang plays a young baseball prodigy who reluctantly moves with his badminton coach father, played by Kim Sang-kyung, to the countryside
  • Suitable for all ages, the easy-going, feel-good comedy explores familiar family themes such as the importance of sticking together when it matters most

By Pierce Conran | 13 Jun, 2021

333534EE-05D0-4D85-ADC7-4323A5F6A6AE.web

Tang Joon-sang in a scene from Racket Boys. Netflix’s sports K-drama serves up fun for all the family.

Part youth drama, part sports saga and part countryside comedy, Racket Boys, currently streaming worldwide on Netflix, is the latest show from Korean broadcaster SBS.

Hot on the heels of his appearance in Move to Heaven, young actor Tang Joon-sang plays the young sports prodigy who moves with his badminton coach father, played by Memories of Murder actor Kim Sang-kyung, to the countryside.

The action begins in the South Korean capital, Seoul, where Yoon Hyeon-jong (Kim) is coaching amateur badminton players but struggling to pay rent and medical bills and fund a special baseball camp for his son Hae-kang (Tang), who is on track to become a national star, which he is unable to afford.

When a better paid opportunity arises, Hyeon-jong accepts a post in the countryside and moves there with his son and younger daughter Hae-in (Ahn Se-bin). Hae-kang is livid that he can’t play baseball any more, and their humble new rural home and its lack of Wi-fi only make things worse.

Meanwhile, Hyeon-jong assumes his post as a coach at the Haenam Seo Middle School, but discovers that a formerly great team has been on life support for years and now has only three members. Without a fourth, they won’t be able to compete.

Hyeon-jong tries to persuade Hae-kang to join but he won’t entertain the idea, until a budget problem forces Hyeon-jong to welcome his three young badminton wards, Bang Yoon-dam (Son Sang-yeon), Na Woo-chan (Choi Hyun-wook) and Lee Yong-tae (Kim Kang-hoon), to come and stay with them.

The three boys, who call themselves the “Racket Boys” – which in Korean is a play on the uber popular K-pop act BTS – are desperate for Hae-kang to join them and before long they trick him into playing their ace Yoon-dam. However, after a slow start, and to their very great surprise, Hae-kang proves to be a more than competent player, and Yoon-dam barely ekes out a win. 

In exchange for a Wi-fi router, Hae-kang is soon convinced to join the team, and soon after that his new teammates discover that Hae-kang used to be a badminton prodigy before taking up baseball.

At their first competition, the Racket Boys meet the former star badminton player Ra Yeong-ja (Oh Na-ra), who now coaches a top girls’ badminton team which includes national athlete Han Se-yoon (Lee Jae-in).

080C4BAA-D8FD-48AE-8829-EEEBB148ACFD.jpg
Oh Na-ra in a still from Racket Boys.

Back at Hyeon-jong’s home that evening, the boys get some more surprises as Yeong-ja and two of her players, Se-yoon and Lee Han-sol (Lee Ji-won), also come to stay with them. What’s more, they learn that Yeong-ja is none other than Hae-kang and Hae-in’s mother.

Also in the orbit of the Racket Boys are the school’s head coach, Bae (Shin Jung-keun), who has a secret up his sleeve; their nerdy classmate Jung In-sol (Kim Min-ki), who wants to play badminton against his father’s wishes; and the dotty neighbour Grandma One (Cha Mi-kyung), who loves to dote on the children.

Suitable for all ages, Racket Boys explores several family themes; no matter the tribulation the characters are confronted with, the solution is invariably that they need to stick together to move forward.

26FB85EB-ABB1-4F96-B584-3B94E71D6CA4.jpg
A scene from Netflix K-drama Racket Boys.

This is well illustrated when Yoon-dam, as punishment for the Racket Boys getting involved in a fight, is forced by Bae to complete an impossible number of exercises, until his teammates realise the point – he’ll only complete the tasks if they all do them together.

Yet in this show, it isn’t just the young players who need to grow up, as Hyeon-jong also has plenty of room to grow. He’s trying his best to make ends meet and do the best for his children, but his pecuniary drive is often at odds with his duties as a coach.

What’s more, when it counts the most, Hyeon-jong can prove to be highly irresponsible, such as when a late night of drinking costs his team a chance to compete in an event the next morning.

Spoiler

81CE3726-8F67-4F31-9825-EA5BCCFF0DED.jpg

Lee Jae-in prepares to play a shot in Racket Boys.

Beyond these weightier thematic digressions, which include a very awkward misstep involving a suicidal couple who relocate to the village, the show is most comfortable as an easy-going, feel-good comedy.

Goofy dances crop up regularly, as do silly picture poses and pleasing but facile comparisons between city and country life. The comedy is for the most part family-friendly, but the show occasionally throws a bone just to the adults, such as when the team stays in a love motel and the boys are confused by the sounds of “pain” coming from neighbouring rooms.

Though a touch long-winded and simplistic, the first few games of Racket Boys have for the most part been digestible and diverting.

Spoiler

F7313E5E-35ED-4FBA-B4D6-1CC8C518710A.jpg

A still from Racket Boys.

Racket Boys is streaming on Netflix.

• Like 3

I love how episode 6 makes me reflect a lot. I think this drama explores various spectrum, portraying each end of the spectrum and finding the middle ground. Urban to rural, city people to villagers, parents to kids, old generation to young generation. For this episode it is OG to YG.

I noticed from some shows i see that 꼰대 (boomer) and the phrase 나때는 말이야 (when i was young/when it was my time) are used a lot by young generation in korea, and it is not in a positive way. I experience that myself when i was young, feeling like the adults around me are so noisy and lack of understanding. Now that i'm old i realize that their nagging is a wisdom that's coated with harsh words. Episode 6 depicts this well. Through the conversation and glimpses of the past of HG's dad and his old friend.

It gives insight to the OG that the YG have their own way and need to go through that way to understand how this life works because words can not easily go through them. All that OG can do is to be by their side, watch over them so they are not crossing the line and guide them when needed. It gives encouragement to the OG to try to accept, embrace, and deal with the YG in modern way instead of coming back to the old militant way that gives them hell that time. Though i'd say some necessary and sufficient disciplinary method is needed.

To the YG it tries to say that the OG had really gone through harsh time they can never understand and it is not something they can take lightly. It shows the YG that although OG can be so noisy and loud but they mean well.

I like that at the end of their hard day, our racket boys come back to their family and find comfort there. Though that comfort is sometimes short lived because those closest to us tend to annoy us most.

• Like 1

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/06/688_310741.html
'Racket Boys' production team apologizes over negative depiction of Indonesian badminton team, audience

By Dong Sun-hwa | 2021-06-18

E540CA1C-5319-4059-93EB-FB90387E7465.jpg
Poster for SBS drama "Racket Boys" / Courtesy of Pan Entertainment

The production team of SBS's ongoing TV series "Racket Boys" apologized Thursday over its negative portrayal of the Indonesian badminton team and audience. 

The apology came three days after the network aired the fifth episode of the drama, which featured a Korean badminton player heading for Jakarta, Indonesia's capital, to compete against a local player. In the episode, a Korean coach surnamed Fang ― played by Ahn Nae-sang ― grumbled that the Indonesian staff deliberately did not provide a proper space for his player to practice and criticized the Indonesian audience for "cheering at their opponent's mistakes" during their game.

The scenes drew the ire of many Indonesian viewers, who say the drama belittled Indonesians. 

"It's really disappointing," an internet user commented on SBS's Instagram. "We Indonesian fans never mock other countries. Please clarify what Fang said." 

Another wrote, "So many Indonesians enjoy this drama, but you disappointed them with racist scene… You have to apologize."

Such reactions pushed SBS to issue an apology. 

"We apologize for offending our viewers in Indonesia. We did not intend to insult any particular country, player or audience … We will make sure to take extra care on filming our next episodes," SBS said on Instagram. 

"Racket Boys," starring Kim Sang-kyung, Oh Na-ra, Tang Jun-sang among others, follows 16 junior badminton players living in a small town. Premiered on May 31, the 16-part series has been smooth sailing in terms of viewership ratings, with its latest episode scoring 5 percent viewership nationwide.

CAF2C1EA-9862-4378-9C87-4B505840A885.jpg
Alex Lee, a character in SBS's ongoing drama "Penthouse: War in Life" / Courtesy of SBS

This is not the first time that a Korean drama has taken flak for being culturally insensitive. The production team of the third season of SBS's suspense drama "Penthouse: War in Life" also made an apology on June 14 for its controversial depiction of a Korean-American character named Alex Lee, played by actor Park Eun-seok. In the series' second episode ― which was broadcast June 12 ― Lee appeared in thick dreadlocks and with golden grills on his teeth. Many viewers took offense with his look, saying it reflects racial stereotypes linked to the African American community.

Actor Park also took to TikTok ― a Chinese video-sharing platform ― to apologize.

"I'd like to apologize to the people who took offense by the character (Alex)'s appearance," he wrote. "It was more admiration of the culture than mockery but now I am aware that the approach was more CA (cultural appropriation.) It was a wrong attempt for character development. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to grow in awareness."

• Like 1

I knew the match in Indonesia would spark anger for Indonesian viewers. Especially the booing and the comments made by the actors, I immediately said aloud 'Uh-oh trouble ahead'. 

Hae Kang & Se Yoon hitting a rough patch in the match is unfortunate but realistic. They can't win all the time. I just wished Hae Kang tone down the tsundere act a bit. He comes off brashly cocky. 

Nice to see he's at least giving In Sol credit & letting him have the bed. Though he might have to make a tough choice now. Will it be baseball or badminton? 

• Like 1

I love this show from the family dynamics, to the team dynamics, and the countryside stuff. It has a little bit of everything and they combine it all so well. 

- I know that Han-sol didn't want the coach to know about the line judge, but she really should've told her. However, then we wouldn't have Yoon-dam going after him, which I was completely cheering him on for and loved. 

- I like the Yoon-Dam/ Han-sol relationship. Though he already turned her down so who knows if it will happen. 

- I like the progression of In-sol and Hae-kang friendship. Also, the subtle way they show it by him sleeping on the floor. 

- The dad greeting his wife's rival and then seeing her look. :joy:

- The editing to show the matches without having to film full matches was clever. 

- Like mother, like son. I wonder if the other kids know where the catch phrase comes from. Hopefully there is a scene where she says it in front of the kids and they realize. 

- I loved the last scene with Se-yoon and Hae-kang. She finally felt like she could feel sad and cry with Hae-kang there. 

• Like 2

All I got to say is Captain Bbang was on fire this episode.

I loved the whole episode.

Haekang's dad needs to man up and have that talk with Coach Fang.

Only Haekang is allowed to  see the vulnerability of Seyoon. That hit me harder than I thought. Maybe they will have a talk in the start of next episode.

I don't feel Haekang will abandon his friends for baseball now. I feel he knows that to find good friends it is very hard.

• Like 1

I like how supportive both coaches are. Glad that Hae Kang made the team officially. 

That cauliflower haired Busan arrogant jerk. I wanted to shave his head bald! Same goes for those disgusting City hiker dwellers. 

I hope Hae Kang plucks enough courage to woo over Se Yoon. And ha-ha at Young Tae. Racket Boys let's go! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, youactlikeicare said:

- I like the Yoon-Dam/ Han-sol relationship. Though he already turned her down so who knows if it will happen. 

Did he officially turn her down already? I thought he was just being nonchalant/polite about her crush on him since they live in the same house. 

But I loved how he went after that sleazy line judge. I only hope that sunbae gets his karma in the long run.

Hae Kang totally got his "I am Yoon Hae Kang" attitude from his mother. In Sol has coaching potential! He's good at game analysis. Also, I cannot stop noticing he looks like a younger Ahn Jae Hyun.

I think it's sweet how Se Yoon allows herself to be vulnerable around Hae Kang. He was the only one back then who told her it was okay to lose sometimes.

• Like 3

In-sol has the makings of a coach. He is really showing off his ability to strategize and help the other players. 

Those city guys need to have their butts kicked. Like way to be jerks. Instead of just threatening them, they really should have called the cops on them.  

Woo-chan and his father was a great scene. I'm glad his father has come around to him playing and was coming to his games. It prob makes him feel relief. 

Hae-kang's announcement :joy: The whole family is extra as heck. Also even though they hear Yong-tae crying they just keep eating the meat. 

At first I thought that Hae-kang went to Grandmas to be alone, but then I realized that its cause Grandma loves when they come over.

Yoon-dam and Han-sol were adorable sneaking glances when he changed his profile. So I guess their status has changed. Hae-kang expression when Park Chan asked Se-yoon out. I wonder how long it takes one of the other kids to catch on. 

I love both of the young romances, it looks like we will get some focus on Se-yoon/Hae-kang next week. 

We are half way through the show. I feel like the last episodes will focus on the National Youth competition they keep referencing as the biggest one. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Why do I feel this Park Chan used to be in the same team as Haekang when they were little kids. Park Chan may not be happy that Haekang cut ties with the badminton all of a sudden. Maybe this is going to get a bit personal with Park Chan and Haekang and he wants an explanation why they were left behind all of a sudden. Well I could be wrong though! But if so National Badminton Youth athlete Haekang is gonna go balastic if he finds this and that Park Chan is interested in Seyoon too!

• Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 12:35 PM, youactlikeicare said:

Those city guys need to have their butts kicked. Like way to be jerks. Instead of just threatening them, they really should have called the cops on them.  

Woo-chan and his father was a great scene. I'm glad his father has come around to him playing and was coming to his games. It prob makes him feel relief. 

Hae-kang's announcement  The whole family is extra as heck. Also even though they hear Yong-tae crying they just keep eating the meat. 

At first I thought that Hae-kang went to Grandmas to be alone, but then I realized that its cause Grandma loves when they come over.

Hello !

Those city guys are a nuisances, they should be caught and punish by cleaning up the whole village ! :w00t:

Finally, Wo-Chan's father understand why his son loves badminton so much after he appeared at his

tournament hearing his friends giving him full support with loud cheering.

LOL, no doubt Yong-Tae is small in size, gosh .. he really can cry. Look at his tears :joy:

Why Hae-Kang still visit grandma even after his father installed the wi-fi ?... reason being he wants

to accompany the grandma who is lonely.

• Like 3