[Drama 2021] Racket Boys, 라켓소년단

Lmangla

On 4/27/2021 at 1:48 PM, jongski said:

And..... child actor who will be future Daesang winner, Kim Kang Hoon. If you don't know who is this future of kdrama. He's the child in the Mouse (the one in the poster) He always plays young version of male leads and is always on good dramas like  Mr. Sunshine, Children of Nobody, HDL, WCB, Mr Queen, Kingdon. etc.

Yes, I've seen about 1/2 dozen of KKH's projects, he's a natural and talented young actor.  Real talent, he'll go far.

The other actor that totally worth the accolades is Tang Joon Sang who plays one of the 4 boys - Yoon Hae Kang.  He was absolutely phenomenal in his last project Move To Heaven.

If you have not watched, please do.  I highly recommend Move To Heaven on Netflix.  His Geu-Ru stole my heart.  I cheer for this young man!

Will be watching this one.

@backstreetboysfan all the posters are so cheery.  Love them, we need happy dramas about chasing and achieving your dreams.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Hi all!  Got this on my watchlist :) for its sports theme which SBS did well with Hot Stove League, the credits of both the director & writer, and the very reliable veteran young and older actors. Looking forward for a fun watch :wub:

• Like 2

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/05/688_309434.html
SBS to air sports drama 'Racket Boys'

By Lee Gyu-lee | 2021-05-26

6E93EF9E-995E-47D9-B66C-96437D0D55F9.jpg
Actors Lee Jae-in, from left, Choi Hyun-wook, Tang Jun-sang and Kim Sang-kyung, director Jo Yeong-gwang, and actors Oh Na-ra, Son Sang-yeon, Kim Kang-hoon and Lee Ji-won pose for pictures during the online press conference for "Racket Boys," Tuesday. Courtesy of SBS

Sports have been considered as an unpopular subject in TV dramas with many shows about sports and athletes failing to garner popularity. However, SBS managed to hit a home run in 2019 with the baseball series "Hot Stove League," garnering a 19.1 percent viewership rating and winning an award at the WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival.

The network hopes to hit another ratings home run in the sports drama genre with the upcoming series "Racket Boys," which portrays junior badminton players.

"Sports dramas have been considered difficult to become hits. But what's different is that our series will cover the core value of badminton, unlike previous series that only included sports as a portion or a concept of the overall storyline," series director Jo Yeong-gwang said during an online press conference, Tuesday. "So the actors have been training really hard as if they were real badminton players."

The show follows a junior high school badminton team from a small town. A city kid named Yoon Hae-kang (Tang Jun-sang) joins the team, which is on the brink of falling apart, when his dad, Hyun-jong (Kim Sang-kyung), takes a job as its coach to rescue the team. It is written by Jung Bo-hoon, who is known for writing the tvN series "Prison Playbook."

The director, whose previous works include "Heart Surgeons" and "Hyde Jekyll, Me," explained that the series has three main themes. "Our series is about the racket boys taking on a challenge to win a national junior league, city people getting used to nature and connecting with people in a rural town, and the youths' coming-of-age story through badminton," the director said. 

Emphasizing that badminton is an easily accessible sport that anyone can play, he expressed that the series will lead people to take more interest in the sport. And to do so, attention to detail was the key to making the series.

"When I first met the writer, she gave me a stack of papers the size of a phone book. It had a series of interviews with people in the badminton field… On the set, we have former coaches offering consulting on the details of the scene, like the characters' movements and postures while they play," he said. 

05D8AF1B-1307-4733-8411-A4F891ED5202.jpg
A poster for the series / Courtesy of SBS

The young actors who play the members of the team not only went through a long process of auditioning, but also underwent athletic training to prepare for their roles.

"The audition process lasted for about a month for the younger actors, which was tough, but also worth it," he said. "We wanted them to resemble professional players as much as possible and they did a good job. They would always keep themselves busy practicing badminton with each other on the set, voluntarily… the viewers will be able to see a good, exciting rally from our series."

Tang, who plays a young athlete struggling to adapt to country life, added that he took lessons for about four months before filming began. "I used to play badminton with my family and thought I was good at it. But it was a whole other thing when I actually trained. And after working really hard to look like a pro player, the result came out good," he said. 

Actor Kim plays a former national team badminton player who takes a job in the countryside after going broke. As he leads the team for a chance to compete in the national league, he finds the purpose of his career.

He noted that he chose this series because it stands out from other shows coming out these days. "It has a unique story. It's a piece that will make you smile, but also make you cry at the same time," he said. "TV series usually follow trends. But when I saw this series' script, I realized that this is a series that our country really needs right now, especially when people are fed up and struggling through the pandemic." 

The director also added: "the series will not only have dramatic sports competitions, but also heart-warming episodes that will touch the hearts of viewers." 

"Racket Boys" is set to premiere on May 31.

• Like 4

• ferily changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021] Racket Boys, 라켓소년단, Mon & Tues @22:00 KST - Premiers May 31

Premieres today or tomorrow. Depends where you are my chingus.. but I'm gonna watch this becaue...let me quote myself....

On 4/28/2021 at 4:48 AM, jongski said:

Thanks for this thread. Lost my post from the original thread. But glad there's one again.

My fav child/ tween actors cast in this drama

I mentioned before this drama is coming from the one who directed Defendant and Queen of Ambition and the writer is from Prison Playbook.

I also mentioned in that post (page 1) future Daesang  winner is in this drma. So yeah gonna watch.

I really like this show. I like the interactions between the boys and the two kids with the grandma. 

I want some more background on the family, and why the mother doesn't live with them. We saw that the daughter was happy to see mom but the son looked surprised/not happy. He also had zero reaction when seeing her at the competition. 

• Like 1

The first episode is quite interesting. This is a coming of age drama wrapped in sport theme. I like the comparison of badminton and baseball, and i can sense Hae Gang's cynical view of badminton as future career option hence the insistence to keep playing baseball. Can't blame him when he's raised in a financially struggling parents. I'd love to see his journey finding the beauty in the unexpected place and "unwanted" sport. In conclusion, i'm sold.

• Like 1

Hi im a badminton fan for real and been waiting for this drama to come out and after watching first episode im quite happy. It was funny, refreshing and i can feel the chemistry between the boys

i hope this drama will be successful  like hot stove league :heartxoxo:

• Like 1

Not a bad drama. Wholesome family entertainment. I just thought Jonathan's appearance to be really random? Like it's to show oh look? We're not mean 'cause we have someone of different nationality! It just seem disingenuous? 

So both husband & wife are coaches for opposing teams LoL? I like Hae In so adorable. The boys badminton team is cute eheh. 

I recognised the 2 actors from Sky Castle & the kid from When the Camellia Blooms here. A few other familiar faces. 

Is there a budding romance between Hae Kang with the star player off of his Mom's badminton team eheh? The vibes remind me of Stove League, The Mighty Ducks - all deal with sports. 

• Like 3

• Lmangla changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] Racket Boys, 라켓소년단, Mon & Tues @22:00 KST

Hae Kang & Se Yoon goin' out in next ep. LoL? That's fast. 

The smirk he gave when he crushed Jae Seok during the badminton match. He's cocky but so is Se Yoon. 

That gran got lost lookin' for her sis' restaurant. From Mother to Father's Table LoL. That young man though was too kind. 

• Like 3

On 6/1/2021 at 6:30 PM, Latte_Anyday said:

Not a bad drama. Wholesome family entertainment. I just thought Jonathan's appearance to be really random? Like it's to show oh look? We're not mean 'cause we have someone of different nationality! It just seem disingenuous? 

So both husband & wife are coaches for opposing teams LoL? I like Hae In so adorable. The boys badminton team is cute eheh. 

I recognised the 2 actors from Sky Castle & the kid from When the Camellia Blooms here. A few other familiar faces. 

Is there a budding romance between Hae Kang with the star player off of his Mom's badminton team eheh? The vibes remind me of Stove League, The Mighty Ducks - all deal with sports. 

27 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Hae Kang & Se Yoon goin' out in next ep. LoL? That's fast. 

The smirk he gave when he crushed Jae Seok during the badminton match. He's cocky but so is Se Yoon. 

That gran got lost lookin' for her sis' restaurant. From Mother to Father's Table LoL. That young man though was too kind. 

@Latte_Anyday Yes, Mighty Ducks!!! This drama also reminds me of Slamdunk (minus Sakuragi) hehe Oh i forgot Stove League. yeah I must finish it soooooon..my pooor looooong list :crybaby:

I can't wait for their "1st date" huhuhu

• Like 1

Hail to the racket boys instead. After two epsiodes, I enjoyed it.

Let me just tell you. Tang Joon Sang and  Kim Kang Hoon along with Lee Ji Won and Lee Jae In.These drama have good young stars. I'm glad I'm watching this.  It's a drama you don't have to think deep. You just need to enjoy chill and relax but still get something out of this one. If irl you play badminton,  you'll enjoy more.

So in this drama we get to see what ountry side living aka rural area. And just like in BE dwhere the setting is the countryside. We also  see wha's it like and the progress of training youngsters to be come champion at the sport they excel. The love for the sport. Wanting to become the town's badminton winner at the national levels. At least get recongize. Talk about drama for the family. Add to that I feel each of them has their own personal struggles.

So ep 1-  Awww. After what happened and failing to get in baseball training camp to Saipan, had to move the countrysid. The father coach needs money for debst and bills,  he took the offer to coach  and train some juniors at a rural area outside of Seoul.

Father coach  shock when he saw he was just going to coach  three boys.   dormitory where boys were staying closed so coach ask them to stay at their place.   HK used to be champion badmiton player at a young age winning a lot competition and getting trophies. But he stop and switch to baseball. As the episodes progress  we're gonna see backstory for this.

And the first time appearance of LJI ( Se Yoon ) and LJW (Han Sol).  I like it!  Hae Kang thought Han Se Yoon  was a boy going inside the girls batroom room. He got a wack and warning from  from Han Sol. They both have short hair. Tsk tsk  tsk Hae Kang. :lol:

Ep 2. We see the slice of life story of Halmoni, the white wolf, the couple who relocate to Haenam. The wife of father coach.. We also saw the tollgate boys aka the bullies.  I saw thge cameo of Choi Jae Hoon (the one from BE).

From the preview of ep 3- drama will happen. with Woo Chan. Then with  Se Yoon.  And wait..did Hae Kang ask Se Yoon to have go out dinner as in like date? Heh.

Will check next week.

• Like 2

I love this drama and found the actor Tang Junsang riveting in his acting so that I watched his other drama , Move to Heaven in one sitting!

That said all the other characters in this drama are all so good at what they portray. I did not realize that the first two episodes were long and they separated it in three parts until it was over.

Having said that Haekang is just as head strong as his mother. I wonder how his mother raised him to be so independent and self reliant that he does not back down from situation even if he gets in trouble for it. I wonder if the bullies will bother him again!

Also I wonder how his mother and him communicate with each other do they phone regularly when she is away. Maybe we will get it in episode 3!

But it seems it's his father who is the hands on parent in their life. Also I'm intrigued with this sports couple coz the father forgot his wife's face coz they've never seen each other for a few months is it!

• Like 2