[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Master Of My Own 请叫我总监

sugarplum892

On 5/9/2022 at 11:53 PM, jadore1 said:

I love the teddy bear Mobi owner , what a beautiful soul , what a beautiful man 

I am a fan of the guy as well. Such a positive attitude, even when all the doors are closing before his nose, he keeps knocking))). I think he is a bit like Ning Meng when she was looking for a job- he needed someone who would believe in him ,and look, he finally found one))). 

On 5/11/2022 at 2:34 AM, jadore1 said:

As for Mr Su , i don't know what he is hiding or what his motive is,  but it aint love .

Well, I'm happy to keep him for myself :D,  with any motive :evillaugh:.

After 19 episodes I hope they would move the plot a bit faster, too much bla-bla-bla during some scenes).

On 5/12/2022 at 8:34 AM, jadore1 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Trailer shows the real Mr Su coming forward....it looks like he is insecure, stuck in the past trauma and past love life , and quite dictatorial .  

What a woman, our Lemon is pure juice ...she is not falling for ML's change of heart ....buddy you have over 20 episodes of nasty to clean up before she will make you noodles again .   

I know right?

Male lead's meanness is enough to make me want female lead to end up with someone else in the first half of the drama. I hope he man's up and tackles his feelings for her properly. I seem to recall thinking the same thing with Designer Love starring Dilraba and Johhny Huang. Of course, I'm assuming the male lead's gonna be nicer after the second half starts but I wish some dramas didn't start this way. 

Like, I understand some guys act like 8-9 year old kids and tend to pull girls pigtails but still!!

• Like 3

Wow…it takes soooo long for the main couple to get together, so much happening! This drama intrigued me because it taught me a lot about the Investment business. Didn’t know how much was involved! I think You Qi’s bf is so evil, how could he be so deceitful and living with her everyday? Yikes!

• Like 1

ep 27 ...so there was a reason why she always picked him up when he was drunk, and here we were so outraged at such injustice LOL ....auchhhh ....this episode was like seesaw ...what goes up , must come down and some hit the ground while some are going up .  At least I did not have to see WR , pi$$ing me off , don't like him. 

• Like 2

@jadore1Do you think WR had anything to do with the takeover of Qinhe? When NM asks him questions, he seems to answer objectively and says it’s illegal.  I, too, feel like something is very “off” about him.  I’ve watched the preview of the next few episodes,it doesn’t look “pretty”. 

• Like 1

Ok finally caught up with all the epis & epi 27 made me cry:bawling:

LJM's scene with Ms. Liu in the hospital was just precious. So much care & respect for Lu Sr. & each other. The grumpy LJM is really kind & considerate of his step mom & doesn't take out his disappointments about his own mother's misfortunes on her. That is why he is an ace guy. He may be bad tempered high expectations guy with low EQ but he is inherently a good person. 

The JC dismissal scene was just heart wrenching. All of his loyal employees were ready to make the extra effort & take losses & support LJM through the crisis. But LJM made the right decision of dissolving JC right now as the loss of funds will definitely affect their high quality service & he would rather have JC leave a good impression in the market at the end by transferring their clients to other trusted companies. Yes he did lose his company but not his reputation & trust that he has built up over years. He can definitely start afresh & most of his clients will give him business. There are bad people in the business but there also good ones & LJM tends to surround himself with good people for the most part. 

LJM & NM scene at the end was so heartwarming & enlightening as well. There were bad times for NM at work but there were also good times. Yes he was an RickRoll'D boss with highly exacting standards but he was also a good boss who would give benefits & rewards without making it obvious. I had been wondering throughout the show how there was hardly any company drinking scene with NM. All the other office romance drama do have this one scene were the FL has to drink out of obligation of her seniors & then the ML swoops in to save the day. Guess what this incident happened at the start of NM's career & LJM dismissed her from this abhorrent task. Frankly this only increases my respect for LJM as a boss because he did that when he had no romantic inclinations towards NM- just a good deed done. And NM showed her gratitude by being his designated driver when he was drunk. 

• Like 2

HYL & SWR need a separate post for me to rant. 

Initially until NM's bestie was staying in a different city & we only saw glimpses of HYL's devotion to YQ I thought they were cute. I didn't think that they would be playing a bigger role in the overall storyline. I started getting a suspicious feeling about HYL when he sent YQ first to setup house while he arrived later. It is not as if that doesn't happen but he was getting promoted to GM position of the city's branch & I am sure his company could have given them temporary accomodation while they searched for their own. Then we were exposed to their full PDA relationship & I was putoff by the dynamics in their relationship. It looked like YQ was dominating HYL & he was bearing it & indulging her. I started suspecting that his indulgence of YQ has an ulterior reason & well now it is out in the open that not only he is a scammer in his professional life but also a cheater in personal life. I was so angry when he was trying to gaslight YQ & NM that YQ was the reason not only for him being a cheater at work but also for his infidelity. 

I was cheering on NM as she one by one poked holes in HYL's twisted logic of feeling guilty & wanting to show that he cares for YQ. How quickly he dropped his guilty facade when NM gave it to him straight. He is a pathetic loser & karma will definitely come for him. 

I liked how YQ handled HYL's infidelity & break up. I was afraid that she would go on angry rant & I think HYL was expecting the same. But she surprised everyone by handling it with dignity. She rightfully felt hurt & betrayed. The best revenge that she can have is by moving on happily in her life. HYL doesn't deserve to see watch her breakdown. I am damn sure that she will have her own happy ending as well. I was so sad for her when she was asking NM whether she was wrong for only ever wanting to be a housewife. I feel that today women look down upon other women who just want to stay as housewife when there is nothing wrong with it. If HYL actually communicated his so called financial problems with her I am damn sure she would have also contributed by taking on some job. He just used her being a home maker as an excuse to justify his infidelity & nothing else. He would still be a cheater even if she had a career. 

SWR is another pathetic loser. I don't think his anger, possessiveness & controlling issues were developed as a result of his 1st heartbreak. He already had these issues which might have actually pushed his gf away. But he would never accept the blame & has gaslighted everyone including the gf to believe that he was the only wronged party. 

I don't know for sure if SWR approached NM because of her connection to LJM but 90% chance is there that he has a hand in the scam. We have been shown that he & HYL actually reached out to each other for some kind of deal. 

SWRv& NM's relationship has been a relationship of coercion from the moment it changed into romantic. NM accepted to be his gf because she wanted to distance herself from LJM &  he love bombed her by doing grand gestures, showed her how emotionally invested he was in her & making her feel sorry for him. He is always pressuring her to not betray him. NM has given him a lot of chances when he has behaved out of line with her because she is a trusting & understanding person so she tries to see a situation from his pov & background. But the major reason is that she doesn't feel the same way about him as he does & she doubts whether she is viewing such incidents negatively because of her own feelings for LJM. We also need to remember that this is her first romantic relationship so she is in a bit of an uncharted territory. But from the preview it looks like SWR will finally show his true colours as an abuser & that would be the last straw for NM.

Karma is coming for all the scammers who colluded to bring down LJM. LJM & NM are no fools & will definitely be able to prove their crime. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

NM accepted to be his gf because she wanted to distance herself from LJM

I've only seen 23 episodes so far, so I'm a bit behind, but you get it absolutely right, and for that I actually feel sorry for SWR. As I would be sorry for any person who is "used" like that by other party. In real life he should have ended everything after she avoided his kiss. It was obvious she had no plans to proceed further into the relationship. 

BTW, when YQ had a birthday party, I was quite surprised they didn't invite SWR. He, after all, is NM's official boyfriend, and in addition they already get acquainted with him; I personally think it was not ok to invite NM alone, since they were a couple and it was not some "girls only" party. 

Overall, I'm not surprised how SWR's character is written, it's a typical cliche type :rolleyes:. However, in real life some of advice he gave to NM, for example regarding work process,  are not that "bad" as they would like to present them in the drama. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leo2020 said:

I've only seen 23 episodes so far, so I'm a bit behind, but you get it absolutely right, and for that I actually feel sorry for SWR. As I would be sorry for any person who is "used" like that by other party. In real life he should have ended everything after she avoided his kiss. It was obvious she had no plans to proceed further into the relationship. 

BTW, when YQ had a birthday party, I was quite surprised they didn't invite SWR. He, after all, is NM's official boyfriend, and in addition they already get acquainted with him; I personally think it was not ok to invite NM alone, since they were a couple and it was not some "girls only" party. 

Overall, I'm not surprised how SWR's character is written, it's a typical cliche type :rolleyes:. However, in real life some of advice he gave to NM, for example regarding work process,  are not that "bad" as they would like to present them in the drama. 

I actually liked SWR until he showed up at the remote location where NM had gone along with LJM & YM. That right there was a big sign that this dude is stalking her. I mean who will travel 3hrs back & forth just to pick & drop someone who is not yet your gf. After that his every action seemed to only give more indication that he is toxic. 

I didn't feel sorry for SWR even when I liked him. Just because a guy is likeable & nice to a girl doesn't mean that the girl actually has to like him back. He did look like a better prospect for NM but she clearly told him that her crush on him is in the past & she doesn't have the same feelings for him now. He was the one who pushed her to be his gf even when she said that she is dealing with heartbreak.  So I didn't feel sorry for him at all. 

Re YQ's bday party- NM had invited him but he said that he has some work engagement. Hence he was absent from the bday party.

I think the show did quite a nice job of giving nuances to the characters. SWR didn't need to be an abuser, in many shows the SMLs are actual nice guys & remain friends with the leads after giving up. The show revealed the characters & the story line by planting hints about them in previous epis. So the turn that these characters take doesn't feel out of the blue. SWR & HYL being bad guys actually ties into the company storyline. 

SWR's advice- Some of the initial ones that he gave were actually valuable- like learning to know when to give up on a project. But his advice wrt to taking money & bribes was really not good in any shape or form. Actually many times when he revealed his true thoughts about corrupt practices he usually back pedaled fast so that NM doesn't notice his slip. The main reason that NM & SWR are not compatible is because they don't have the same moral code. For NM & LJM integrity is the most important while for SWR profit & money is most important. Even if he was not a toxic personality, this basic fundamental difference would have lead to them separating. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, auntyem said:

@jadore1Do you think WR had anything to do with the takeover of Qinhe? When NM asks him questions, he seems to answer objectively and says it’s illegal.  I, too, feel like something is very “off” about him.  I’ve watched the preview of the next few episodes,it doesn’t look “pretty”. 

I think in ep 28 we all will see the 'let the real WR stand up ' scenarios  and in my opinion he is 99% responsible ..he supposedly just returned from USrA and yet he was able to secure an accidental meeting with ML in that bar and ML did not like him even then so he got drunk to avoid his company . 

• Like 2

ep 28 & 29 ...WR hit our little lemon and thank god for Ms Shi who really knows when to give advice , enabling NM to come to the final decision and swiftly break up . She is one gutsy woman, to choose to see / meet up with him alone and by the lake , I would not have LOL ...in case the retard decides to test the swimming skills . Some great writing and dialogue once again , acting perfect.  One line that stuck in my memory was Mr Ning saying something ...success is for others to see , but happiness only you know .  

at the end of ep 29 did NM decide to leave her new director position WOW....double WOW ... or is she planning to hire him in her company now that she is the director and one that will take over when Ms Shi goes to Singapore .  I know she is helping him set up a new company but her company is available .  3 more episodes 

• Like 2

E28-29 were a joy to watch. And that's what friends truly are for! Even if the friendship is just a cover up for other feelings that have yet to surface. But pulling him up when he was down was what was needed. And despite our girl being a Venture Capitalist, her instincts are not wrong about the underhanded dealings that have been going on to pull NJM and his father's company down. She was quite smart to put it all together without much physical evidence, her hunches aren't bad! I wish in the real world, there were more bosses and work environments like the one NM's company has. Supportive, nurturing and one that brings out the best in people, if only employees had more access to such workplaces, won't working be such a joy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SC2019 said:

E28-29 were a joy to watch. And that's what friends truly are for! Even if the friendship is just a cover up for other feelings that have yet to surface. But pulling him up when he was down was what was needed. And despite our girl being a Venture Capitalist, her instincts are not wrong about the underhanded dealings that have been going on to pull NJM and his father's company down. She was quite smart to put it all together without much physical evidence, her hunches aren't bad! I wish in the real world, there were more bosses and work environments like the one NM's company has. Supportive, nurturing and one that brings out the best in people, if only employees had more access to such workplaces, won't working be such a joy.

That is why i love these dramas and stay away from others LOL    I like to see supportive, real and not fake , I like to see nurturing, again real and not fake , I like to see good everyday possibilities that are authentic and just naturally nourished with every day tasks . I am glad I joined to watch this drama, it inspired me :) 

• Like 3

Only 1 ep. to go~

I find the remaining ep. to somewhat lose their spark(?) that's just me though. I kept watching as I enjoy Ning's growth and she just seem so diligent, persistent, a hard worker. I am happy she reached her goal. 

It was interesting also to see how the tables have turned. Lu is now starting from scratch. Poor him losing Joint Capital and then his father. I like his stepmom. 

Su was absolutely terrifying! I am shocked at Ning for sticking by him for so long even though she knew in some way he was dangerous. 

The worse was her bff You Qi's bf Yue Lan. What a scum. I think this drama should be more a business/self discovery than a office romance that they marketed it to be. I honestly don't feel chemistry between Lu & Ning they are like friends. 

So the finale would be just them tying up all the usual loose ends and Lu-Ning's co. taking off. Oh Ning's parents are so cute~

• Like 4

Taaaa daaaa The End. They kiss and the fireworks go off ....its Celebration time . Congratulations to Ning Meng and Lu JM they gave us a very good drama and I will miss them .    I forgot to share that this is the actor that started me on c dramas when I saw a picture of him as Yu Wen Yue in Princess Agents 2017 and I've been in c drama land now for 5 years , but Seven Tan is the one that totally rocked in this drama and revealed beautiful human characteristics . I thank the writer for our  little Lemon :kiss_wink:

• Like 4

• SC2019 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Master Of My Own 请叫我总监
On 5/19/2022 at 1:07 AM, jadore1 said:

I forgot to share that this is the actor that started me on c dramas when I saw a picture of him as Yu Wen Yue in Princess Agents 2017 and I've been in c drama land now for 5 years

:happydance: ohh, never I forget Yuwen Yue... not having Princess Agents 2 is so far my biggest Cdrama land disappointment. 

On 5/17/2022 at 12:04 AM, jadore1 said:

at the end of ep 29 did NM decide to leave her new director position WOW....double WOW

This struck me as well. In real life IMO that would be a relatively unreasonable,  short-sighted and in a way ungrateful move. The only reason for that was to push the story forward, but logic definitely died there :crazy:.

On 5/18/2022 at 1:05 PM, Latte_Anyday said:

I find the remaining ep. to somewhat lose their spark(?)

On 5/18/2022 at 1:05 PM, Latte_Anyday said:

I honestly don't feel chemistry between Lu & Ning

Unfortunately same here, you're not alone. 

I just finished the drama, and am really disappointed with the 2nd half of last episode. I really hated that "group encouragement", when everyone was pushing LJM to make a confession and than for that kiss as well. For me it ruined the the potential beauty and sweetness of the whole thing. Overall, it all looked very tortured, despite the fact the viewers got what they wanted. I now think I would prefer they just decided to give each other another chance and to go on a proper date or smth. 

YQ's visiting HYL was IMO also absolutely unnecessary. I haven't got what was the purpose of that. And don't tell me smth like "She needed a closure,  she needed finally to get over him". For me it looked really insincere. It was like she was making herself feeling better while seeing him in jail. May be it's just that the actress couldn't convey the right emotions, I don't know...

On a good side, I was really in shock to find myself in tears over SWR's letter scenes. Very touching indeed, and the eternal question "What if...". And amazing job done by Liu Chang, as always :wub:

I should say in general I enjoyed watching the drama, but ML's romantic relationship story could have been written and executed way better, so for me it's smth like 7 out of 10.

• Like 1

@leo2020

For office romance, I thoroughly enjoyed "The Ideal City". Here I feel Ning's character to be more of a motivational coach/ counselor(?) especially her pleasant tone of speaking. 

I agree that the best performance out of drama was actor who played Su. Very well done. I liked his redemption arc. He wanted to recapture the youth and passion of his past self and due to greed got turned into a monster.

Male lead's character was somewhat similar in previous "My Bargain Queen" which I dropped. I didn't watch the finale for "Master of my Own". Idk if it's the scowl on ml's face LoL he just look permanently grumpy ha-ha. But he just lacked the charisma of a male lead , just my opinion.

On You Qi's visit to see Yue Lan in prison... it was more of rubbing in his face as if to say, "look what you're missing.." or "your loss for giving me up.." so it was her pride actually. Then when she was outside with Ning, they somewhat alluded that maybe.. You Qi wanted Yue Lan back LoL?! 'Cause Ning mentioned something that You Qi should let him reflect & regret. I didn't get why she said no when asked if she told Yue Lan on his baby? I thought she did. Oh well another disappointing C-Drama for me. Actually I have dropped many C-Dramas lately. Just a matter of lack of quality content.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...