[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Master Of My Own 请叫我总监

sugarplum892

Hi everyone, I've decided to start watching right away since I'll never know if I'll have extra time to watch anything :lol:.  So far , after 3 episodes, - it's very sweet, lovable, mostly fun, but there are already signs of "disasters" coming towards the leads. It's a bit like "Ugly Betty" meets "Pride and Prejudice", but with a number of twists:).

And only for those who watched episode 3 (don't look if you don't want a spoiler!)

Spoiler

the "ditch water" moment was hilarious :D.  I died from laughter :joy:. Want more moments with dad). 

P.S. the ending song is very nice). Love it).

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 12:38 AM, leo2020 said:

Hi everyone, I've decided to start watching right away since I'll never know if I'll have extra time to watch anything :lol:.  So far , after 3 episodes, - it's very sweet, lovable, mostly fun, but there are already signs of "disasters" coming towards the leads. It's a bit like "Ugly Betty" meets "Pride and Prejudice", but with a number of twists:).

And only for those who watched episode 3 (don't look if you don't want a spoiler!)

Reveal hidden contents

the "ditch water" moment was hilarious :D.  I died from laughter :joy:. Want more moments with dad). 

P.S. the ending song is very nice). Love it).

@leo2020  So far so good.  Having only 1 episode (i.e. ep 3) yesterday, was insufficient.  The coming episodes will show Tan Song Yun (Ning Meng) having a difficult time to prove herself, as well as to Survive in her New - Project Department.  

Spoiler

On one hand, her boss Lu Jiming wishes for her to return to him

On the other hand, her new bosses (Director Qiu and his female Manager Feng) of the New - Project Department are suspicious why Ning Meng was suddenly transferred to them, after 3 long years.  So they gave her a specially hard time.

I don't find the "Ditch Water" part funny though.  I find the Father rather irritating and unnecessary.  Sorry @leo2020.  No disrespect meant.  Just a difference of opinions.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I just finished Eps 4 and 5:   This is actually a very cliched plot which we have all seen so many times..   But the acting abilities of the two Leads made it stands out.  Tan Song Yun is so short when she stands next to Lin Geng Xin. :lol:  The contrast is too great.  It is amazing that she can be a successful Actress - being so dimunitive in size.  I call this a Pistachio Beauty.

Spoiler

So much of Politics in the Project (Investment) Department.

Ning Meng (Tan Song Yun) did well but was:

- played out by the Dept Director Qiu and his lady Manager Feng.  They purposely gave her a project - the Camp RV Project.  Which was recomended by Chairman Lu Ji Ming's (her ex-boss) Second Generation Wealthy Lady Friend - Xu Si Tian.  Xu looked down on Ning Meng and her ability to handle her project. A bit of ladies' jealous too.  Becuase she is crazy over Lu Ji Ming.  And she can see that LJM actually is falling for this Secretary of his.

Ning Meng did a thorough research.  But they purposely withhold information about future developments for that district.  Making her a laughing stock in her presentation meeting.

- next Ning Meng made good out of a previously dropped project - The Thermos Mugs. But the Dept Director Qiu stole the Credits from her.  Director Qiu is feeling insecure with Ning Meng's capability.  NM did a Project Briefing on behalf of him when he was not around the last time. So he feels threatened.

Ning Meng found evidence that Director Qiu was taking "Kickbacks" in disguise.  She was kind enough to inform Chairman Lu Ji Ming.  But Lu Ji Ming didn't care and attacked her instead.

I kept saying:  "Resign. Resign".  At last she did.  Because with her Dedication and Capability, there is no reason why she cannot find another job.  Even if she has to climb right from the bottom of the ladder.  It is better than to be played out like this again and again.

But everybody acted very well.  I especially like the cute girl - Yang Xiao Yang, Ning Meng's secretarial assistant.  With Ning Meng's transfer, she has to stand-in as Lu Ji Ming's secretary.  And who is very close to Ning Meng.  

• Thanks 1

@hush puppy your little Pistachio :thumbsup:   Tan Song Yun is definitely in charge ...I see her presence screen-wise and her character , efficiency and wisdom are phenomenal :heart:   ( I also  like her beautiful and elegant 'day' heel shoes LOL  )

and   Lu Jiming is basically an a$$  lol,  but She will teach him I hope what a great manager /human really is.  His company right  now is full of staff ? that look incompetent and inefficient, so I am not sure how he managed to win the award ..or was it just "his" award and not the company's.    

I am at 3s and 5raw/32  but so far this drama has me 100% behind Ning Meng .  I like current scenario and a Chinese view of investment institutions.  

• LOL 1

I just finished eps 6 & 7

Spoiler

The Story took a new turn from Ep 7.  And I like the New Twist.  If there are no untowards developments, then I can safely say that this Plot is very well-written.  Unlike other silly Pet Drama  with a similar plot, which just gave us a Powerful, Arrogant, Male  CEO and his tolerant, forgiving, Female Secretary.  This Plot is more intelligent.

So Ning Meng left Joint Capital in a fit and rightly so.  She had some difficulty in getting a new job.  Because the wily Director Qiu slandered her reputation in the Investment Industry Business Circle.  What a Low and Mean Person.

In addition, he did a lot of under-the-table dealings right under Lu Ji Ming's nose.  So LJM asked his friend to Investigate him.  Called him in and fired him immediately after telling him off  -  including what he had done to Ning Meng (stealing her Projects, continue to slander her reputation)

Meanwhile, Ning Meng was offered a job by Ms Shi Ying of Eagle Capital, an Investor she has met when her ex-Boss Lu Ji Ming received his Award.  She was a very practical and kind boss:

- Got Ning Meng to do a Make-Over to her Personal Stylings

- Helped Ning Meng find a new Condominium to stay when her Landlady suddenly sold off the apartment Ning Meng had rented.   Did not give her enough notice.  Wants her to move out within 2 days.

And Yes.  Ning Meng's new Condominium is just next to Lu Ji Ming's best Male Friend.  And so Ep 7 rightfully ended with Ning Meng bumping into Lu Ji Ming.  Lu Ji Ming was visiting his Best Buddy.

So Ep 8 will start with their Romance slowly but surely starting to Bloom - I believe.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the story....

:gangnamstyle:

• Love 1

7s/32    I think that ML somehow let Ms Shi know that NM is available (he owes her for doubting her and having such pouching managers )   but I like Eagle Capital , I like the efficiency and practicality, the help and the win win attitude is implemented even with their own employees ...so I am very happy for Ning Meng.  The transformation from secretary to investment professional , the confidence and the new residence truly have her back on the track .  ML is considered a big shot but NM is gaining on him haha and he is only now conscious what a jewel he lost .  

• Love 1

16 hours ago, jadore1 said:

7s/32    I think that ML somehow let Ms Shi know that NM is available (he owes her for doubting her and having such pouching managers )   but I like Eagle Capital , I like the efficiency and practicality, the help and the win win attitude is implemented even with their own employees ...so I am very happy for Ning Meng.  The transformation from secretary to investment professional , the confidence and the new residence truly have her back on the track .  ML is considered a big shot but NM is gaining on him haha and he is only now conscious what a jewel he lost .  

@jadore1  Looks like only U and I are watching.  Where are the rest??:tears:

• LOL 1

I just finished Eps 8 and 9

Spoiler

Looks like Lu Ji Ming is not such a bad person after all.  Just that he has his Pride.  Ning Meng has misunderstood him twice:

1) First time, NM jumped into conclusion that Lu Ji Ming has slandered her. Which is why no one wants to employ her. 

2) Now, she thought Lu Ji Ming is being revengeful by asking for Documents to be delivered to him one by one.  Instead of listing them down and have all delivered at one go.  But it wasn't him.  

We cannot totally blame Ning Meng for that either.  Lu Ji Ming has been a difficult boss.  But things are clearing up for them.  When someone called Ning Meng to fetch her Drunk Ex-Boss, she obliged.  Lu Ji Ming is very pleased.

However, Ning Meng's ex-classmate, someone she secretly admired before, turned up.  So we are going to see a Love-Triangle.

Will Lu Ji Ming fights for her??  Hm..... interesting.

Note: I love Yang Xiao Yang, Lu Ji Ming's current Secretary.  She is so Cute, Simple and Kind.

Soompi's Software went Haywire just now.  Had me worried for a while.  Because  I remembered the last one lasts for quite long.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I only watched 1 ep. and it gives me the usual boss-secretary office romance vibe hijinks LoL. Ning is obviously very efficient at her job, albeit a lil too efficient eheh. 

Perhaps that's why Mr. Lu is hesitant on lettin' her go? Or perhaps he is keepin' her close as he feel she is not ready for a alternate career advancement OR he is selfish and doesn't want to lose her or is it all of the above ha-ha?! 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I'm back after 9 episodes.

OMG, they now have Liu Chang- my beloved Jin Ke from The King's Woman - and he seems to be 

Spoiler

our 2nd lead?! What should I do now:wub:. They got two of my beloved "guys" to fight over a girl in one drama:lol: . Ohh, and he is soo tall, I remember he is like 1.90 or smth around that. It was very visible back than with Dilraba, and even more visible now with Seven:wub:

I'm literally dead on the spot :fullofhearts:.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

9s/32   I try to do my comments a la fresh instead of reading first, but sometimes its not possible and soompi was crashing  today...so speaking of crashing , ML really likes to drink or he is a allergic to alcohol .. seems to binge and I am finding the older I get that is something that I find such a waste, of good liqueur and being a good company .

My lightbulb moment here tells me that , unless its business, he is allergic to socializing or normal communication with everyone; his father, his friends, NM ...so his eq is 2+ like a toddler hehe and his professional IQ I have to say is 9+ (based on just a quick glance at that report in ep 8)   

I really like Ms Shi,   so astute and equally generous with support .

NM  life trajectory has really rocketed and not only does she have a FULLLL plate with mentors, bosses, ex bosses , her own insecurities and projections, and now she will have to deal with her  old infatuation .  :heart4: 

...as for her girlfriend, I don't know (she gave her that push in high school to deliver that card even though NM was quite reluctant and pushing her into high heels , just something that is off with that relationship ...i know she is 'meaning' well i guess , but her helpful makeover and Ms Shi's seem world apart ) 

I like that @leo2020 is drooling , we have to watch what her Jin Ke is up to LOL 

• LOL 1
  • Blob 1

ML is total retard but I love the jealousy :tounge_xd:  ep 10/11   The girls are now best buddies and I want a pair of those glasses , what a cool idea , hope something like this really gets to the market at a very reasonable price so kiddies can start to enjoy the outdoors more ..ok ok me too 

In another drama I think somebody described that male's actions to a boy that likes to pull the braids of the girl he likes, well Mr Lu is not only pulling the braids, he is bloody scalping her with his words ... can a guy really change that much for her to love him, maybe she does already since she was staring at him few episodes back and they do say love is blind . 

• Like 1

I binge watched the 9 epis available on Viki & I am really liking the show. 

Many in the comments were comparing it to WWSK but I think this is a completely different show from that. Also so many comments showing disbelief regarding the problems NM was facing at work were making my eyes roll. Anyone who works professionally will clearly relate to NM because all of us have faced similar situations in our professional life. I really appreciate this drama for till now being realistic about NM's work without making it unrealistic.

The only thing that is unrealistic is NM's relationship with LJ which is what differentiates their relationship. LJ is definitely an entitled spoilt brat but he does let NM get away with anything. He does scold her harshly but he never becomes unapproachable to her. I really hate it when he demeans her in his own twisted way to get her back to him but I have observed that he expects NM's standard of work from everyone. LJ has high standards & NM not only met them but exceeded them. 

NM does look up to him because she does learn a lot from him. Most of the time we are shown things from NM's perspective which paint him in worse light but the reality ends up being different. I really like NM's characterisation. Her never give up attitude is admirable. Also she is always open to learning even in situations where it isn't her fault. 

Right now I am not seeing any clear romantic inclinations between them as of yet . LJ does seem really attached to her but his feelings for her are confused. NM doesn't even have any thoughts about him romantically. I am liking how they both are now starting to see each other beyond the boss secretary perspective.

• Like 1

Watched up until ep. 11. It was a pretty compelling watch that I even binged LoL. I don't really like Lu. At. All. He comes off real petty, mean & crude. Just an overgrown man-child really.

There some things that Ning did which I didn't understand LoL, like why did she seek Lu out when she first worked at Eagle Stone? She should have done it on her own. Which she did, eventually. 

I like her new boss, Ms. Shi & her newfound friends in Ms. Xu, Hang. Don't know what to make of her uni senior crush - Mr. Su; he look to have ulterior motives? He seems too... perfect? From upcoming trailers, there'd be a new lady love rival for Lu as well..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Don't know what to make of her uni senior crush - Mr. Su; he look to have ulterior motives? He seems too... perfect? From upcoming trailers, there'd be a new lady love rival for Lu as well..

@Latte_Anyday  I agree with you.  My "Warning Bell" rang when I saw him.  Too good to be true.  Let's see if both of us are right.  We could be wrong

:hwaiting2:

• Like 1

12/13  Mr Lu is becoming human ...wow what a pleasant change .  Mind you I have a hard time sleeping in a motel so I really really have to hand it to him for suffering such 'hardship' lol... 

Young Mr.  Phenix definitely needs a new HR staff  (ok drama gods send this guy somebody's daughter to put his life into order and bring him back to real living and relations and not just innovation and transformation) and and

you should have known that the little female you totally ignored is kind of 50/50 partner so as those slippers pointed , you shot yourself in the foot , twice .    But it gave our ML and FL a chance to work jointly and more on her turf so ep 12 and 13 were good indicators for these two .   

• Like 1

Ya as Lu may be a lot of things but I kind of trust his judgment. Sort of ha! @hush puppy He keep telling Ning that Mr. Su seem shady LoL. Don't know if he says that out of jealousy or he sense bad vibes while doing business with the guy??

Now watched until ep. 13.

Not use to this 180 Lu is becoming LoL! Although that fuss over a tiny moth? Come on! It wasn't a roach or a wasp which is far worse ok!? 

Ning is seeing Lu in a different light as well... am looking forward to more ep. 

• Like 2

ep 14...our Ning will make the best investor in my opinion , heart and brains :love:

but the first kiss , accidental yes , indicates that they are both virgo intacta LOL ....when she asked is that all it took for the 2nd couple to start their relationship .

Only one episode today but it was cathartic for ML and the young Phoenix .

• Like 1
  • Blob 1