[Drama 2021] Imitation, 이미테이션

SC2019

3 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Hmm..I didnt understand if it was their first encounter...

http://naver.me/FLBqNXLg

I liked the scene when Ryuk gave Maha his jacket and when they walked down

the street together.

You mean the epilogue scene? I think so, since he didn't call her by name but copycat back then. They must be from the same city (idk which one, but it's said it's not Seoul) and maybe went to the same high school or so, where she would hear about his dance crew? 

I like the scenes between Ryuk and Maha, the ones in the drama are far nicer. He's cold but not a jerk. Like in the recording studio, when he notices that she keeps making mistakes, he eggs her on to do better. 

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

Every episode I wonder when is Eunjo going to appear suddenly.

Is KR (Kwon Ryeok) so traumatized after the disappearance of Eunjo. He acts as if he is just going through the motions of living unless he is performing or doing that sageuk drama.

I got used to watching Korean drama 2 days a week now I have to adjust for this drama once a week watch. There is a lot happening but the story is a bit slow moving forward.

That mysterious ahjumma should stop lurking and do something already, I wish.

Also I wonder if Spark is going to have a member leaving the group because of growing animosity and they can't stand to be in each others presence going down the road. I hope they don't disband! I wish they address it promptly among themselves or else living with each other every day friction will become sparks and one of them will take it to heart and hurt each other with words or physically!

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

1 episode per week is really making this drama feel as though it’s dragging along but I’m enjoying it nevertheless. I like watching all those Ryeok & Ma-ha scenes as I get the impression, he secretly likes her but pretends to act cold and sarcastic toward her just to challenge her to do her best by being herself so her success will be on her own merit.

As for Yu-Jin poor fella carrying a crush on Ma-ha for God knows how long, which is plain to see will come to naught in the end. It's just my opinion but I wish he would just concentrate on improving himself for himself, rather than competing to cover the inferiority complex he appears to have against Ryeok. Not sure if it’s just my imagination but I felt as though Ma-Ha’s group mate Hyun-Ji kind of likes Yu-Jin.

Personally, I do hope Ji-Hak’s JH Entertainment could be a success and outshine some of the other Entertainment companies. Anyways, I’m patiently looking forward to the upcoming episodes to see how it unravels.

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

I am really enjoying this show so far, but I also wish it was not one episode per week.  

On 5/22/2021 at 2:06 PM, Shari said:

As for Yu-Jin poor fella carrying a crush on Ma-ha for God knows how long, which is plain to see will come to naught in the end. It's just my opinion but I wish he would just concentrate on improving himself for himself, rather than competing to cover the inferiority complex he appears to have against Ryeok. Not sure if it’s just my imagination but I felt as though Ma-Ha’s group mate Hyun-Ji kind of likes Yu-Jin.

Agree! I like Yu-jin, but feel bad for him. Ma-ha does not feel the same way as he does, but I wonder why he never confessed before. They have been good friends for like 3 years now.

He is feeling threatened by Ryok so he is stepping up, but does he assume Ma-ha only likes Ryok because he is a star? I guess if he doesn't know about their prior connection he would assume that. 

What is the relationship between Ryok and La Li-Ma? Are they friends or just people who know each other through the industry. Its clear that she likes him, and he is trying to rebuff her gestures. I wonder if this duet she mentioned that she wants actually happens. The way her manager talks it seem like she is not on the same level as Shax. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Hey guys! I have been following this thread from the start and just signed up to comment my thoughts about the drama here.

Just like all of you, I like the relationship between Maha and Ryok but also really curious what happened in the past that drove them apart. Is it just because they went their own way or there was a conflict?

I also feel bad for Yujin. I hope he will confess his feelings to her and move on because it will just hurt more the longer he keeps pining secretly for her.

As a K-pop fan, I can't help but compare the characters to real-life idols that are similar to them.

SHAX - EXO: I think that SHAX is similar to EXO especially during their prime days, especially the concept and even the overzealous fans. For Ryok, I pick Kai as the most similar because of their cool image but actually can be quite cute and clumsy. NOG also is potrayed just like a BIG 3 agency in the drama and even the boss name seems like a combination of JYP and Lee Sooman's names lol :D

Tea Party - GFriend: Both started out as the first group of a small company with a cute/innocent concept. I'm especially waiting for the moment where Tea Party will hit it big (pun intended). For Maha, I pick Eunha because they just seem so cute! (Sad at the news of GFriend disbanding :tears:)

Sparkling - Seventeen/Astro?: I can't really figure out how Sparkling is like because not much is shown of the group so far. I think Sparkling have the concept of Seventeen's lighter concept with Astro's popularity?

La Lima - Sunmi: They both have that elegant and sensual concept and are also one of the most popular female K-Pop soloists.

Sorry if it seems like I'm talking too much :sweatingbullets:

Edited by starveri
  • Like 2
  • Blob 2

Welcome @starveri !! don't worry much about talking much here, it's very encouraged and nice to see you here! It was interesting to read about the comparison to kpop groups from the drama as I am not really an avid kpop stan. The only groups I really listen to are BTS / CN Blue, though I'm not really a follower. 

I have read about 150 episodes of the original webtoon and can say that the drama depiction is much better and seems to have taken inspiration of the characters, but not really much of their backgrounds? 

From the episodes, I assume that there was no big "fallout". Before Shax made it big, she wasn't afraid to face Ryuk, it rather seemed like she assumed he wouldn't remember her. When he called her nickname, she was pleasantly surprised. I think it's just one of those acquaintances you lose when you move cities / your circumstances change. So it seems they attended school in the same city (not Seoul), and she wanted to join his dance crew. 

Their first face to face meeting wasn't adversarial either, he just didn't immediately recognise her as he was acting a scene out, and when he did recognise her, it was just neutral or maybe subtle warmth? It seems to me they don't hide their previous acquaintance, but they don't advertise it either.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Thanks @agenth! I'm actually not that really active in fangirling since my bias group is inactive now but I do keep up with the news through Soompi though. 

I don't read the webtoon but I have read some comments on Twitter from people who have. Some like that Ryok is not a jerk like in the webtoon and the addition of the couple's relationship in the past while some(especially Jiyeon's fans) dislike that Rima is potrayed more "evil" in the drama

Oh yeah when I think about it, they just seem awkward (especially Maha) rather than hostile. I find it kinda weird that they never talked about their past or maybe Maha feels embarassed to bring it up. Maybe they will talk about it when they get closer. 

One thing I wonder, is Eunjo and Annie connected? Since Eunjo's disappearance happened at the same time as Annie's death. I watch this with my bestfriend and we theorize that "If they're not siblings, they must be lovers!" lol :lol: If I'm not mistaken, even Ji Hak seems to know Annie (seriously he knows everyone in the industry) 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

EVENT: 50 Things You Learn From A Korean Drama

Have you ever tried to explain to your friends and family why you watch k-dramas? What is it that makes them so unique?

Chingus, now is your chance to help us compile a list of what you have learned from watching Korean dramas. :partyblob:

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @Lmangla @Sleepy Owl

10 hours ago, starveri said:

Thanks @agenth! I'm actually not that really active in fangirling since my bias group is inactive now but I do keep up with the news through Soompi though. 

I don't read the webtoon but I have read some comments on Twitter from people who have. Some like that Ryok is not a jerk like in the webtoon and the addition of the couple's relationship in the past while some(especially Jiyeon's fans) dislike that Rima is potrayed more "evil" in the drama

Oh yeah when I think about it, they just seem awkward (especially Maha) rather than hostile. I find it kinda weird that they never talked about their past or maybe Maha feels embarassed to bring it up. Maybe they will talk about it when they get closer. 

One thing I wonder, is Eunjo and Annie connected? Since Eunjo's disappearance happened at the same time as Annie's death. I watch this with my bestfriend and we theorize that "If they're not siblings, they must be lovers!" lol :lol: If I'm not mistaken, even Ji Hak seems to know Annie (seriously he knows everyone in the industry) 

What is your group then?

People should give La Lima a chance. She only had short appearances, so her character hasn't been fleshed out. And to be fair, if someone imitates you, wouldn't you dislike that, too? She is the sunbae her and to her it would just look like disrespect. 

From the drama episodes, Jihak used to be a NOG manager for SHAX, so the episodes subtly (the scene with the bridge) connect Eunjo and Annie together. If these two are connected, it is possible Jihak knows the story between the two (and also why Eunjo left). But Ryuk is point blank ignoring Jihak, whereas Jihak seems to look guilty.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, agenth said:

What is your group then?

People should give La Lima a chance. She only had short appearances, so her character hasn't been fleshed out. And to be fair, if someone imitates you, wouldn't you dislike that, too? She is the sunbae her and to her it would just look like disrespect. 

From the drama episodes, Jihak used to be a NOG manager for SHAX, so the episodes subtly (the scene with the bridge) connect Eunjo and Annie together. If these two are connected, it is possible Jihak knows the story between the two (and also why Eunjo left). But Ryuk is point blank ignoring Jihak, whereas Jihak seems to look guilty.

VIXX! They just celebrated their 9th anniversary last Monday~

Yeah, I hope that La Lima can get to know Maha more so she can see that Maha is more than a shameless imitator and even become friends or maybe adopt her as a younger sister hehehe :D. I'm sure Maha will stop imitating Rima and develop her own identity in the entertainment industry. 

Jihak stopped being SHAX's manager before Eunjo's disappearance, right? So, I think it has something to do with NOG president because he seems to have something against Jihak.

It seems like all the Tea Party members will have a loveline :wub:. We know about Maha & Ryok and someone else mentioned that Hyunji seems to like Yujin. Yihyun (SHAX member) seems to be interested in Ria because of her vocals. 

Edited by starveri
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, starveri said:

Yeah, I hope that La Lima can get to know Maha more so she can see that Maha is more than a shameless imitator and even become friends or maybe adopt her as a younger sister hehehe :D. I'm sure Maha will stop imitating Rima and develop her own identity in the entertainment industry. 

Jihak stopped being SHAX's manager before Eunjo's disappearance, right? So, I think it has something to do with NOG president because he seems to have something against Jihak.

I have a feeling they are going to keep La Lima as antagonist to Maha. We've already seen her trying to embarrass Maha at the show. I think if Ryok shows more interest in Maha and disinterst in La Lima she might take her anger out on Maha. Or try to show that she is a better option. I just don't see her befriending Maha, unless she gets over Ryok. 

The first episode timeline is a little weird. Jihak was still at NOG but wasn't their day to day manager. He passed that off to the guy who is currently doing it. But he was still the one to yell at Eunjo for whatever was going on with Annie. The president of NOG mentions the next day when he is talking to his assistant about Eunjo's disappearance that Jihak was no longer their person. So prob sometime between Eunjo vanishing and the next morning there was a falling out between Jihak and the president. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, youactlikeicare said:

I have a feeling they are going to keep La Lima as antagonist to Maha. We've already seen her trying to embarrass Maha at the show. I think if Ryok shows more interest in Maha and disinterst in La Lima she might take her anger out on Maha. Or try to show that she is a better option. I just don't see her befriending Maha, unless she gets over Ryok. 

The first episode timeline is a little weird. Jihak was still at NOG but wasn't their day to day manager. He passed that off to the guy who is currently doing it. But he was still the one to yell at Eunjo for whatever was going on with Annie. The president of NOG mentions the next day when he is talking to his assistant about Eunjo's disappearance that Jihak was no longer their person. So prob sometime between Eunjo vanishing and the next morning there was a falling out between Jihak and the president. 

Yeah, that's just my wishful thinking that everyone can get along -_-. La Lima seems interested in Ryok just because he is a famous idol and maybe Ryok knows that. 

I think the initial reason Jihak stopped being SHAX's manager is he got promoted. He seems to know the truth behind Eunjo's disappearance but refused to tell anyone including the members and maybe the president too.  That is the reason he had a falling out with both of them. That is my theory for now. 

• Like 3

Original Webtoon Writer Of “Imitation” Shows Love For The Drama Adaptation

May 27, 2021
by S. Cho

The original webtoon writer of “Imitation” has shared her thoughts on the recent drama adaptation!

KBS 2TV’s “Imitation” is based on the hit webtoon of the same name and follows the lives of idols in the entertainment industry. After the original webtoon was released in 2014, it surpassed 480 million views, reaching over 4.4 million subscribers and racking up more than 600,000 comments, showing off its global popularity.

The drama stars Jung Ji So (from “Parasite”); U-KISS’s Lee Jun YoungATEEZ’s Yunho, Jongho, Seonghwa, and San; T-ara’s Jiyeon; former I.O.I and PRISTIN member Lim Nayoung; SF9‘s Hwiyoung and Chani; g.o.d’s Danny Ahn; Yuri; MinseoAhn Jung Hoon; Boys’ Republic’s Suwoong; and Shim Eun Jin.

Webtoon writer Park Kyung Ran expressed her admiration for the drama sharing, “It’s still so exciting and fascinating that [my work] is being broadcasted on TV. It made me think that the vague thought of ‘It’d be great if this became a drama’ could actually become a reality. They have the names that I gave them and every time the stories that I wrote appear on the broadcasts, I constantly think, ‘Is this reality?'”

Specifically with regards to the casting of Jung Ji So, Lee Jun Young, Jiyeon, and Yunho, Park Kyung Ran commented, “I thought it was great as soon as I heard the news of the casting but after seeing the completed drama, they’re more in sync [with their characters] than I expected so I thought they were really impressive.”

She also picked those four characters as the ones she looked forward to most. She elaborated, “There’s so much enjoyment in seeing the rebirth of these characters through the actors’ interpretations so I end up waiting each week for Friday.”

In late April, Jung Ji So, Lim Nayoung, and Minseo performed on “Music Bank” as their “Imitation” group Tea Party. Their performance was met with a great response, reaching over 1.4 million views. Park Kyung Ran shared, “When I first heard that they were appearing on ‘Music Bank,’ I obviously thought that they were going to promote from the perspective of actors but I was shocked to see that they gave their interviews in character.”

She added, “While watching the performance, I constantly said, ‘They’re so pretty’ and ‘The song is good.’ Even now, whenever I have time I watch the performance so I know I make up a good amount of the views.”

For the overall message of both the webtoon and the drama, Park Kyung Ran picked “growth,” commenting, “Fundamentally, I wrote growth as the foundation. If romance is the focus of the webtoon, I think that the drama is more aligned with growth. As they are telling the story of those in their twenties, I think the most relatable point is the process in which they prepare for the future and the accompanying concerns.”

Finally, Park Kyung Ran shared, “Thanks to the fans who cherished and supported the webtoon ‘Imitation,’ it was able to be continued as a drama. Both the webtoon and the drama were produced with the intention to support those working hard to adapt to entering society and the workforce, so please watch over it kindly.”

KBS2’s “Imitation” airs Fridays at 11:20 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1471722wpp/original-webtoon-writer-of-imitation-shows-love-for-the-drama-adaptation

The drama is really a great depiction of the webtoon (even better due to the backstories of Ryuk and Maha!)

I feel bad for Ryok. He want's to be nice towards Maha but can't coz every move of his has consequences to his agency, towards his fans and ultimately his career. I feel the real clumsy funny Ryok is all hidden inside him wanting to come out!

When Maha cried because of his word hit her heart . I felt that!

I just hope the sasaeng fans don't break in to his room! But why is Maha so clueless on these things. Why does she go out of her way to find Ryok. I guess she more than likes him too much.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

im.gif

Honestly this is my favourite scene of the last episode, because it showcases their cute nature. Maha feels drawn towards Ryuk, and Ryuk towards Maha. Only he can't express himself as he is a topstar and watched by many, and his fans don't want him to date anybody, but especially not someone like Maha (she is a rookie/nobody and the first piece of news about her was in relation to Ryuk). 

I didn't like the kissing scene much as it felt to me unorganic, especially since Maha's character is supposed to be just a small appearance, yet she got a lot of important scenes. The fact they inserted kiss scene in the movie is pretty daring, and dangerous for Yujin. I felt like he was gonna go on a rampage and bulldoze Ryuk down at the premiere lol. Yujin is very obvious and impulsive and I get his group mate's dissatisfaction about it, as Yujin's unstable emotions do bring bad to the group, especially the part where he disrespects his industry seniors lol. It's obvious to everyone but Maha that he has feelings for her especially when he sends a cake dedicated ONLY to her. hyunji also has hardon crush on yujin. 

In the epilogue we see La Lima in her shadows. I love these epilogues as they showcase the people offscreen/when the lights are off and no cameras. The show does it beautifully. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 3