Director: Song Min-Yeop
Writer: Lee Kang
Network: KBS2
Episodes:
Release Date: May 3, 2021 --
Runtime: Mon & Tue 21:30
Language: Korean

PLOT SYNOPSIS

Is a drama about two young people who became swept up in the Gwangju Uprising that happened in May 1980.
Hwang Hee Tae is a troublemaker who hates anything predictable. His life is described as “a war on prejudice,” and in order to break the prejudice against sons raised by single mothers, he earned top grades and even entered the Seoul National University College of Medicine. He also plays the guitar and enjoys going to music cafes. However, due to unexpected events, he ends up experiencing the harshest May of his life.
Kim Myung Hee is a hard-working nurse who left home and is now living in Gwangju all by herself. Although she’s not friendly enough to comfort crying patients, she’s smart and skilful enough to find the proper blood vessel at once. She’s more like a warrior than an angel, and unlike her beautiful appearance, she has a cold exterior.
Lee Soo Ryun is Kim Myung Hee’s best friend. She has an easygoing personality that seems ajar with her preppy appearance. Coming from a wealthy family, she feels responsibility to be a frontrunner in securing justice in societal issues.
Lee Soo Chan is Soo Ryun’s older brother. He is helping his father with the family business after returning from studying abroad in France.

Main Cast

• Lee Do-hyun as Hwang Hee-tae
  • Go Min-si as Kim Myung-hee
  • Lee Sang-yi as Lee Soo-chan
  • Keum Sae-rok as Lee Soo-ryun

Source: Asianwiki | MyDramaList  | Dramawiki

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.

02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.

03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.

04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods.

05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Thanks for creating the thread again. I'm waiting for this drama. 

This is period 1980 love story. Liking the drama tones with 80's aesthetics  

The poster  and drama sortsa gives me a tw/cdrama vibe.  I'm thinking My Sunshine

I'm more of Go Min Si fan but I like Lee Do Hyun. I like that both can give us good acting.

all twts credit as tag@

• Like 5

YouthOfMay  3rd teaser video

YouthOfMay couple poster

New stills for YouthOfMay

More stuff in spoiler

Spoiler

YouthOfMay Casting news

NohSangBo confirmed has joined the cast of KBS drama YouthOfMay, he will act as Hong Sang-pyo who is a martial law army.

YouthOfMay Stills

A new poster for Youth of May

• Like 3

Thank you for creating the thread!

I am anxiously waiting for this. Hopefully it will be well received.

The second trailer, where Lee Do Hyun played guitar and then there was a gun shot... I am getting ready for lots and lots of tears already.

Any news whether the drama is going to be available on Netflix?

• Like 2

Reading from this KOCOWA TV youtube, apparently Youth of May is available for streaming through KOCOWA.

However, when I tried to access KOCOWA, it is only available on North and South America. Sad.

• Like 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021] Youth of May, 오월의 청춘 - Mon & Tues @2130 KST, Premieres May 3

More stills and I'm excited!!! Do Hyun is such a promising actor and the storyline is interesting. Ever since I watched the two Speed Musicvideos I thought a drama about the Gwangju Uprising would be great.

• Like 1

Hello chingudeul! I'm excited for this upcoming drama YoM. I like the synopsis; love LDH and his stellar acting but barely knew GMS. I watched her in the drama SH but didn't find her acting convincing so I'm looking forward to what she can bring in the drama and ofc their chemistry. It seems that LDH has a knack of having good chemistry with his FL so I hope this OTP will do well.

This is a KBS drama wc is a public network. Hope the ratings will do well and the buzz about the drama. Fighting!!! 

:approves:

New K-dramas to watch in May 2021: Doom at Your Service, Youth of May, Move to Heaven, and more

Youth of May

Lee Do-hyun and Go Min-si, who played brother and sister in last year’s hit Netflix series Sweet Home, will reunite as the protagonists in a budding romance.

Lee plays Hee-tae, a top medical student, while Go Min-si plays Myung-hee, a nurse at the same hospital.

The show is set in May, 1980, during the Gwangju Uprising, in which government troops shot dead hundreds of pro-democracy protesters.

The show will present the romance of Hee-tae and Myung-hee against this tumultuous backdrop, as a Gwangju hospital fills to beyond capacity with injured protesters – an image recently seen in the hit movie A Taxi Driver. (May 3, KBS2)

https://amp.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-drama/article/3131723/new-k-dramas-watch-may-2021-doom-your-service-youth-may

:approves:

Is Youth of May based on a true story? Upcoming K-Drama will focus on history of Gwangju Uprising

The upcoming Korean drama, Youth of May, promises to be quite different from the dramas that have been of show recently.

The potentially tragic love story is set in '80s South Korea, an era that has not been visited much except for the beloved Reply 1988.

Like Reply 1988, viewers should expect a story set against the backdrop of real events.

But just how much of Youth of May is true?

While all indications point to the show's characters being fictional, its plot points and teaser trailer clue viewers in on the tragic backdrop to the Gwangju Uprising in 1980.

The event may be familiar to some, being the historical event covered by International Booker Prize-winning author, Han Kang's novel, Human Acts.

What is Youth of May about?

Youth of May tells the story of two young people who fall in love during the Gwangju Uprising that took place in May 1980.

Hwang Hee-tae (Lee Do-hyun) is a medical student at Seoul National University who postpones his graduation due to the trauma he suffers following the incident.

Appearing carefree, lighthearted, and slightly mischievous, Hwang Hee-tae works hard to overcome the prejudice he faces from society on being raised by a single mother.

Kim Myung-hee (Go Min-si) is a nurse three years into her career, who is not afraid to stand up to her superiors in the face of injustice.

She is the sole breadwinner of her family and works hard to help her patients.

Hwang Hae-tee and Kim Myung-hee fall in love, and both end up changing each other in Youth of May.

However, events around them set up what could potentially be a tragic ending.

Other characters in Youth of May include Lee Soo-chan (Lee Sang-yi), a businessman who works at a trading company and relates with Kim Myung-hee, as well as Lee Soo-chan's sister, Lee Soo-reon (Keum Sae-rok), who fights for social justice.

What is the Gwangju Uprising?

The uprising was one of the largest uprisings in the country as students rebelled against the authoritarian government of Chun Doo-hwan.

Over 100 people were killed; however, estimates from Gwangju's citizens imply the death toll could be over thousands.

During the uprising in Gwangju, Chun Doo-hwan sent soldiers, paratroopers and Special Forces to contain the unrest.

He authorized them to beat protestors and unleash tanks as well.

The uprising came to an end in May, with the city of Gwangju devastated.

However, the Gwangju Uprising became one of the most important democratic movements in South Korea and East Asia.

Chun Doo-hwan was convicted of mutiny, treason, and corruption, but was later pardoned.

How will Youth of May portray the Gwangju Uprising?

The Gwangju Uprising played a very important role in South Korean history, and how it is depicted in Youth of May will be something to watch out for.

Given that Korean broadcast dramas do not usually go for extreme levels of violence due to rating issues, Youth of May will most likely focus on the impact the uprising had upon people.

In a teaser trailer for Youth of May, Lee Do-hyun's Hwang Hee-tae narrates: 

"If it had been any other spring full of sunshine, they would have loved like the faintness of spring. They would have lived ordinary lives with dreams in their hearts. A story of youth."

The trailer also features characters running away from attackers, and other trailers also feature the sound of gunshots.

Youth of May is also rated 15+, so fans should expect the drama to be darker than most dramas.

Youth of May promises to be a heart-wrenching dive into one of the most painful chapters in South Korean history.

Youth of May premiers KBS2 on May 3 and will air every Monday and Tuesday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/pop-culture/is-youth-may-based-true-story-upcoming-k-drama-will-focus-history-gwangju-uprising

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

• ferily changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] Youth of May, 오월의 청춘 - Mon & Tues @ 21:30 KST

Some of the camera angles were odd. There's a weirdly cheesy sort of acting in some of the scenes despite the serious nature of the drama. For instance, it seemed the actor playing the ML's dad was kind of hamming it up. And they had some very intense close-ups of his eyes to emphasize how "evil" he is. 

I checked this drama out because I liked Lee Sang-Yi in "Once Again". His character hasn't been in the drama that much yet, but wow, his character once again starts off coming home from being abroad. I hope his character doesn't end up being a jerky second male lead when the FL inevitably rejects him for the ML.