[Drama 2021] Youth of May, 오월의 청춘

7 hours ago, ferily said:

Wow, I just finished episode 9 and the drama really didn’t sugarcoat anything. When y’all said that the drama is diving into the truth of Gwangju Uprising, it definitely is! That’s horrible what the military men are doing! Innocent children, elderly, and students getting injured and attack. I can’t believe they went to the extent to do that during the Gwangju uprising.

I tested up when the police officer died in front of Soo Ryeon. He sacrificed his life to save hers and many others just because of this dumb martial law. Watching all of these events breaks my heart and makes me so angry that something like this happened.

The narration at the end of the episode, the two of them are definitely in the middle of these events. Innocent people getting dragged into this and next episode (Episode 10) we see they have live ammunition now. Unbelievable. That being said this drama is really nailing it and I’m very worried about the future for our couple

And yet everyone talks about Tienamenn (sp?) Square in China. This was just as bad if not worse. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

KBS PRESENTS   YOUTH OF MAY, 오월의 청춘     Profile Drama: Youth of May (literal title) Hangul: 오월의 청춘 Director: Song Min-Yeop Writer: Lee Kang Network: KBS2 Epis

Started to watch this... dont we all hope that the skeleton found on 1st episode belongs to Hwang Hea-tae's father, if not the kinda-poor man that came out from the train station? Ha..   So

Okay. Let me try to unpack some things, because your explanation and POV is very interesting and something to think about.    I don’t think either girls are irredeemable or the worst. The inten

Okay, finished watching episode 10 and wow... Guns being fired on innocent citizens and even the doctors and nurses. This episode didn't hide anything at all. The citizens taking arms by robbing armory is the next step in the uprising and I know that really happened as well.

This whole situation is really....messed up (the only word I can think of). I can't believe that this actually happened in the 1980's in Korea. I actually didn't really know too much about the Gwangju Uprising before this drama (only heard of it) so this drama is an eye-opener for me.

As for the last two episodes...I know we are all praying for a happy ending. Do you guys think it was Hee Tae's father who caused the accident? That's what I think but what if it actually isn't? What if it's the plan of that higher-up guy that Hee Tae's father was talking to in episode 10? I'm curious what'll happen to our couple now that Hee Tae was kidnapped... Next week is the finale so let us see how Youth of May will end... Will our OTP get a happy ending? Who is the skeleton that we saw in episode 1?

• Like 1

Why do people think it's okay to leave the other person alone and they'll handle the situation? :triumph: Like Dad, stay with Myung Soo and protect him!!!

Aside from that, we are on our final week of Youth of May and it sure has been a ride. Myung Hee's dad gave Hee Tae the stopwatch we saw in Episode 1. I have a feeling that it might be Myung Soo that we saw in Episode 1. Someone said that it might not be him because he looks old, but say Myung Soo is like 8 years old right now (I actually don't know how old he is)... This takes place in 1980 so in 2021, Myung Soo would be like 49 years old. I think it's plausible that it's Myung Soo.

I'm starting to see that we may not have a happy ending for our couple. Hee Tae's friend mentioned Hee Tae's name at the interrogation so I think Hee Tae is in danger... I think Myeong Hee and Hee Tae will both die in Gwangju. Either that or only Hee Tae survives and he's the one we saw in episoe 1. Ugh one more episode left, lets see what will happen.

• Like 2

Given his dad was charged with Communist activity in the past, I doubt Myung-soo sees him alive again. 

I never thought about the man we saw in Episode 1 being Myung Soo, but that would make sense. It's either Myung-soo or Hee-tae. I think they might have said Myung-soo's age at some point, but I believe he's 12 or so. Myung-hee and Hee-tae are 26. Did the man from Episode 1 look closer to 53 or 67 lol? 

Both would know the watch. If the man is Myung-soo, I guess both Myung-hee and Hee-tae die but only one remains missing? That makes me think the man in 2021 is Hee-tae and Myung-hee dies because otherwise, I feel like they would go the route of them dying together and being buried together.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, qynn said:

Given his dad was charged with Communist activity in the past, I doubt Myung-soo sees him alive again. 

I never thought about the man we saw in Episode 1 being Myung Soo, but that would make sense. It's either Myung-soo or Hee-tae. I think they might have said Myung-soo's age at some point, but I believe he's 12 or so. Myung-hee and Hee-tae are 26. Did the man from Episode 1 look closer to 53 or 67 lol? 

Both would know the watch. If the man is Myung-soo, I guess both Myung-hee and Hee-tae die but only one remains missing? That makes me think the man in 2021 is Hee-tae and Myung-hee dies because otherwise, I feel like they would go the route of them dying together and being buried together.

The facial features look more like Hee Tae's little brother but it could be Myung-soo. The mystery man is definitely one of the two. He looks to be in the late 40s to early 50s. Hee-tae and Myung-hee would be in their mid 60s by now if still alive.

• Like 2

@rolisrntex Yeah if it was Hee Tae, I feel like the man might look a little bit older? 

@qynn Oh so if Myung Soo is 12 years old, he would be 53 then. I think it’s more plausible that the man is Myung Soo now

• Like 2
4 hours ago, rolisrntex said:

The facial features look more like Hee Tae's little brother but it could be Myung-soo. The mystery man is definitely one of the two. He looks to be in the late 40s to early 50s. Hee-tae and Myung-hee would be in their mid 60s by now if still alive.

Hee-taes's little brother wouldn't have reacted like that to the watch so it's likely Myung-soo then. The finale is going to be brutal.

ETA: I watched more closely with subs and really think the mystery man is Myung-soo. He got a lot of focus and his dad, who is definitely a goner, was telling him the history of the watch. Detail I missed the first time: The cops said he was an informant, not a family member of a missing person. So if it is Myung-soo, the skeleton is not Myung-hee's. 

• Like 3

Also, I feel like Hee Tae stepmom is going to play a pivotal role in the the last episode. It is the type of role Sim Yi-Young is cast for often. A minor character in the background throughout most of the drama then in the final episodes her character is pivotal in the end.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Myeong-Su's dad did not leave him and fail to protect him. He sacrificed himself to save his son's life. He surrendered himself so that they would stop looking for Myeong-Su.

It's also what Hye-Geon did by telling Gi-Nam that Hee-Tae was his best friend. He knew Gi-Nam would become enraged and kill him, and he did it on purpose to save his family, because Gi-Nam threatened to kill his family.

I think Su-Chan is finally changing his mind about his sister's activism. It's true that one person may not make much difference, but people must speak out against what is wrong for anything to change.

It's a lovely show, but so brutal and heartbreaking.

• Like 2

Guys, I spoke to someone who’s family was involved with the Gwangju Uprising and if we thought everything that happened in the drama was brutal, it was WAY MORE brutal

than what is shown.. I thought it was pretty bad in the drama but it was much worse..

• Like 3
  • Shocked 2

(sigh) the finale is here. Why do all good things come to an end?? 

I feel really sad that the possibility of the skeleton discovery could very well be.. Hee Tae.. I really hope I'm wrong though.. 

On the other poor Myung Hee's dad. Hee Tae's dad isn't fit to be a parent or human for that matter! 

Soo Chan aw bless him.. the actor who plays him is quite the fish enthusiast eheh. He has a lot of aquariums. 

I'll miss this when it ends, it was a trip down memory lane though a part of me is grateful to not be born into such time of chaos, violence & cruelty. 

• Like 2

However tragic the ending of this drama may be, it's an important lesson in history. I'm glad that the story was bigger than a simple tale about star crossed lovers.

• Like 3

Spoiler. Caught the first half of the finale live before my feed died...

Spoiler

Don't know it for sure but from the first few minutes of the episode, the mystery man is 99.9% Myung-soo and the skeleton is his dad. There are clues in the first 10 minutes.

• Like 1

IT's TERRIBLE!!!!!!!:triumph: :astonished:    but I'm not surprised, war is like that, it kills, and kills victims, innocent people

the whole drama itself is good, and I'm so happy for Lee Do-hyun, he has worked hard, he is too sexy,  he was able to play different emotions with this role, I can't wait to see his future projects, 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, rolisrntex said:

Spoiler. Caught the first half of the finale live before my feed died...

Reveal hidden contents

Don't know it for sure but from the first few minutes of the episode, the mystery man is 99.9% Myung-soo and the skeleton is his dad. There are clues in the first 10 minutes.

And I was wrong. Won't spoil it but make sure you have plenty of Kleenex ready.

• Like 3
  • ferily changed the title to [Drama 2021] Youth of May, 오월의 청춘

So sad. :tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

I loved it, though. It was beautiful.

I'm crying right now, just remembering how sad it was. I'll probably be crying every time I think of this show for a long time. It broke my heart into pieces.

Just read a Korean news article about this show, and the real survivors of the GwangJu Uprising (May 18, 1980 – May 27, 1980) said it was much worse than what was shown in the drama. I don't think anyone can fully realize how truly terrible it is when a government turns on its citizens until it happens.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

What an incredible tragic love story, honestly this gave me Scarlet Heart Ryeo vibes couldn't keep the waterworks from flowing. All it took is a month for them to fall in love so beautifully and purely, but it ended so tragically, I think we all knew this drama won't have a happy ending. 

It's so heartbreaking seeing how Hee Tae has been suffering for the past 41 years without the love of his life, in a way it's truly sad but pure how he stayed loyal to Myung Hee for all those years, living a truly lonely life. Don't think I will recover anytime soon after this drama, so many people have died and the ending was just tragic.

Jang Tae honestly the purest most incredible boy, wasn't sure what to think of him in the first two episodes, but then he showed how incredibly strong willed he is, truly one of the best characters in the drama.

• Like 2

May I have some spoilers? I watched 4 episodes and don't intend to watch it. However am dying to find out the ending especially the story behind the skeleton and watch.

Its killing me reading without actually watching it. The couple was so sweet and innocent. Can't he have practised medicine?