[Drama 2021] A Good Supper/ Be A Meal, 밥이 되어라

SC2019

I don’t even know what the writer is playing at anymore.

Rewarding JH in any way will mean that you can trample over people, bully them into relationships, and go around being the worst possible human without any consequences. If that’s the message that the writer is trying to send, they should be ashamed of themselves.

I’m still hoping that KS’s illness is curable and that everyone bands together to save him here. KS does not deserve this, his whole life he’s been a walking talking sacrifice. Killing him off or even having YS married to JH would be a line that, if crossed, would turn off 99% of viewers to the show. We didn’t sign up for a tragedy show so they better not take it in that direction.

I’m gonna continue watching because I don’t like dropping shows and I’m much too attached to KS and YS at this point but I hope that it’s all just a classic drama finale cancer and that by episode 119-120 he will have recovered and gets his happy ending with YS. Anything less than that would be a stain on this drama.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, TRAN said:

They have 15 years age gap, she came to him as 8 years old.

Still hoping YS stay true to herself and not going to be with JH.

Still, he was 23?  Then I'd say SJ has a right to be angry...

BTW, did KS tell Kang he's dying?  I'm beginning to feel like I'm watching a Greek tragedy...

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Chickpea said:

Still, he was 23?  Then I'd say SJ has a right to be angry...

Personally, I don't think SJ has any right to be angry when she knowingly left KS for 23 years to a mother who didn't love him, a father who abandoned him, grandparents who were wary of him, the burden of running the family diner when (as a 23 year old) he never got the chance to compete his education and explore a real life. By then he was already surviving on his own, she lost that right 23 years ago.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Emily Bett said:

Personally, I don't think SJ has any right to be angry when she knowingly left KS for 23 years to a mother who didn't love him, a father who abandoned him, grandparents who were wary of him, the burden of running the family diner when (as a 23 year old) he never got the chance to compete his education and explore a real life. By then he was already surviving on his own, she lost that right 23 years ago.

Agree, she should be dropped off the human race and relegated to the evilest monster race when she goaded DJ to start false rumours against her own flesh and blood, in addition to the evil deeds before and after.

• Like 6

I haven't seen episode 111 yet.

12 hours ago, bluesappir said:

The suspicion is in the lung, actually.

We hear the doctor’s voice over in the beginning of the episode, talking about how when it is usually discovered, it’s already at a more advanced stage…

OMG NOOO. I want him to be okay and with YS:tears:.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Emily Bett said:

Yeah, I kept waiting for YS or GS to tell her that the reason he had to raise a child out of nowhere was because she murdered her mom. SJ will forever struggle to understand that her actions have ramifications...every time she scolded YS telling her she leached her son's youth and to give her son's life back to him, I was just like why doesn't YS find a voice and tell her that they wouldn't be in this mess if it wasn't for her selfishness. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know how they often say that life isn’t fair, but whenever I see Kyung Soo, I can’t help but wish that it was. To him, of all people. This time he broke our hearts as he took the photo to be used for the funeral… wearing the suit Young Shin had bought for him back when they ended up going on that pretend date. 

While the demon still has her privilege to be the whiny witch that she is… She keeps saying that she wishes to die blah blah… (which is pure whining).  To which he replies, almost as if talking to himself.. that he wants to live. He wishes he could live.

(I’d have teared up if the demon didn’t go ahead and started complaining again)

Anyway, I suppose she is still human, because she’s now suspecting that he’s acting too oddly, and she mentions it to Young Shin (she at first thought Kyung Soo was doing this so he could leave with Young Shin). 

The chairman is arguably the first person to suspect Kyung Soo is ill. Then again, not even someone who could be as clueless as him sometimes could miss how strange Kyung Soo’s words were. About not having time.

Young Shin’s narrating here and there does not help at the moment. Every time we hear her speak, people are more and more certain about Kyung Soo’s cruel fate, and it’s just heartbreaking. 

The reason why so many people had stuck to this whole mess, even back when the demon was really at her worst and frustrating everyone…

was in the hopes of getting to see Kyung Soo be happy at last, after all the hard time he was forced to go through. So for this to happen now… it’s a very difficult pill to swallow.

On a completely different note, why is Oh Bok’s mom showing up *now*? I’d have understood better if it had happened around the time of Oh Bok’s wedding… but for her (and soon, the dad as well, I suppose) to show up now, when we have less than two weeks left? I’d be lying if I said it doesn’t feel like a filler.

• Like 4

@maribella, @Emily Bett

Greetings,  Ladies,

My comment wasn't to provide cover for SJ's past bad actions.  That's all on her.  But I don't think any mother gives up her child easily,  without thought or without believing the child will have a better life without her.  To find out, after the fact, that KS missed out on most of the things that 20 year olds do to raise another woman's child, a rival's child, must hurt and would make anyone angry.  You give up your child for a better life only to find out he had no life.  That's tragic and that's on her too.  I'm nominating KS for k-drama sainthood because his life has been one of sacrifice and duty.  In my world, that's called "heroic virtue".

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 6/21/2021 at 7:47 PM, lindab12 said:

Writer make GS to give up and tell Ys married Jh. Once she found out his sickness. She will be devastated and still JH will be lucky one.

Not fair. Not fair at all writers screw this up

I do not understand, the doctor told him that he suspected something in the lung, but not that it was confirmed? we should have had another more explicit scene. And even there would be no treatment!!!!

• Like 3

Hugs for all who have to go through the trauma of KS wrapping up his life in the past few episodes and potentially dying. 

Season 10 Hug GIF by Friends

@bluesappir @Chickpea @catch22 @maribella @backstreetboysfan @TRAN @lindab12 @fragglerock @marrez1 @Ldy Gmerm and everyone else who silently lurks on here cause KS doesn't deserve this and neither do we.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

21 hours ago, marrez1 said:

I do not understand, the doctor told him that he suspected something in the lung, but not that it was confirmed? we should have had another more explicit scene. And even there would be no treatment!!!!

Agree.  I thought the doctor told him to take more tests but said survival rates for lung cancer in Korea are 30 percent.   It seems KS doesn't plan on getting treatment.   My hope is Mr. Kang will step in and send KS abroad with YS.  I'm having deja vu of the last episode of Winter Sonata.

Edited by Chickpea
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, bluesappir said:

Young Shin’s narrating here and there does not help at the moment. Every time we hear her speak, people are more and more certain about Kyung Soo’s cruel fate, and it’s just heartbreaking. 

I get the feeling that YS' voiceover is for after he is gone.

:neutral:

But I watched a long time ago a film Windstruck. It was beautifully sad with Jang Hyuk and the Blue Sea actress.

The voiceover was Jang Hyuk and he got killed. 

At this time, anything can happen. I just hope nothing bad happens to the two mothers and fathers to be. That would make the writer a real stinker.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The actors have wrapped up filming in the studio yesterday, and it’s a strange feeling. Happy on their behalf for all the hard work, but also sad to see them go.

One thing I have to admit that story-wise didn’t make me exactly happy (although completely un-surprised) was that …

Spoiler

… the demon is apparently completely forgiven, as the last scene Kim Hye Ok (a fantastic actress) filmed was together with the Kang family. 

Then there’s the whole thing today with Kyung Soo revealing his illness to Jung Hoon, because he decides that he’s the person to whom he should entrust Young Shin. And of course that was exactly when Jung Hoon starts admitting that he’s considering giving up because he can’t compete after all. *Now* we see a Jung Hoon who actually apologizes. Because to Ha Cheong Ok, it’s all it takes to undo all the horrible attitude from before until now. 

That’s one of the very few things I never liked about Kyung Soo. How every time that he thinks about seeing Young Shin date or settle or whatever, he always brings in Jung Hoon. It’s always Jung Hoon. When he himself once admitted that anyone who loves this kid would get hurt. Besides, Young Shin is her own person. Why can’t he let her decide for herself what she’ll do once he’s gone? She will need time to heal, and if after she’s able to move on, if she decides that she’ll give Jung Hoon a chance or not, shouldn’t that be her decision? That much is not up to him to decide for her.

And Jung Hoon cannot even handle the weight of what had been told, so he told Mr Lee, who in turn explained to Young Shin. I might not appreciate the incapacity of Jung Hoon handling the weight placed on his hands, which also show how reliable he is (*eyeroll*).

Yet at the same time, I’m glad that Mr Lee knows. And that he did tell Young Shin (while cautioning her to not let him know that she’s aware).

I think what finally broke my will (?) was really that conversation of Kyung Soo with Jung Hoon. Seeing Kyung Soo preparing for his death was bad enough, but to see him trying to actively set Young Shin up was and still is unbearable to watch. 

As for his illness, he makes it clear that it’s at an advanced stage and that there’s little that can be done. Every time the audience would react and question, it feels like the writer has been mocking us and “answering” in the next episode, either by Kyung Soo’s words and action, or by Young Shin’s narrative. 

His words to Young Shin at the end broke me at last, where he mentions what he wants to be if he’s born again (goodness Mrs Ha, have you been watching Autumn Fairy Tale lately? Seriously?), and where he wants to be buried when he dies. Then at the end, he asks her to not feel so lonely when he’s not around anymore, that if she sees her shadow at night, it will probably be him, who couldn’t leave her behind. 

I teared up over characters before, I shed tears for some, as well. But never did any character make me cry my eyes out, to the point of almost bawling, like Kyung Soo did. 

A couple spoilers I caught not too long ago don’t help and don’t make any of this better, to be honest.

(Apologies in advance… I wish I had something more hopeful but I don’t. It’s the only warning I can give and maybe spare some grief)

Spoiler

Kyung Soo’s scenes filmed at the studio were up to episode 118. Unless there are scenes that Jae Hee filmed outdoors, this will be Kyung Soo’s last episode. 

I don’t know if Young Shin does end up with Jung Hoon at the end, but at the very last episode, there are a couple scenes filmed with them with the older adults. And one of the final scenes to be shot is at the Diner, starting with Young Shin by herself but later joined by someone, and it seems that it’s Jung Hoon.

After how firm Young Shin had been about her love for Kyung Soo… why Jung Hoon, one might ask.

There was one script page that a sound director had left on his desk when he updated his blog about what he was working on, and while it was blurry, it does show what Kyung Soo said at some point. His “last wish”. To see her wedding.

Young Shin does say in her narrative that she knew that when he said this and left her, he still loved her. Because they’re connected by a “thread”, which allows the other party to feel the same when one is “trembling”. She goes on to say that her heart still flutters when she sees his eyes (I had previously hoped that this meant he’s still alive because she spoke about the thread and his eyes in present tense. But the current progress of the story made me stop holding my breath over this. I don’t want to hope too much, only to be hurt later.)

This was a drama where I found solace during a hard time, with stress from real life including the pandemic. To see it reach the end the way it is ending now… it went from healing to hurting. I know I said I was sticking around for Jae Hee, but at the moment I’m not so sure.

Perhaps he was trying to give his fans a hint after all, when he posted a video of himself eating a sweet potato like *that* while reading that last script (and then deleted it in less than 24 hours).

PS: The less we speak about Oh Bok’s parents, the better. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, bluesappir said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kyung Soo’s scenes filmed at the studio were up to episode 118. Unless there are scenes that Jae Hee filmed outdoors, this will be Kyung Soo’s last episode. 

I don’t know if Young Shin does end up with Jung Hoon at the end, but at the very last episode, there are a couple scenes filmed with them with the older adults, and one of the last scenes at the Diner seems to be with them. Also, one of the final scenes to be shot is at the Diner, starting wi th Young Shin by herself but later joined by someone, and it seems that it’s Jung Hoon.

After how firm Young Shin had been about her love for Kyung Soo… why Jung Hoon, one might ask.

There was one script page that a sound director had left on his desk when he updated his blog abou what he was working on, and while it was blurry, it does show whar Kyung Soo said at some point. His *last wish*. To see her wedding.

Even though Young Shin says in her narrative that she knew that when he said this and left her, he still loved her. Because they’re connected by a “thread”, which allows the other party to feel the same when one is “trembling”. She goes on to say that her heart still flutters when she sees his eyes (this might be perhaps from the photo that he took, and replaced with it the frame previously occupied by that photo of hers that he had treasured until recently).

How can you know I tried to search on insta, I found nothing very conclusive

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, marrez1 said:

How can you know I tried to search on insta, I found nothing very conclusive

Ah, for the Instagram, the filmed scene I mentioned was at Choi Surin’s account (surin1225) ^^;;

As for the list I mentioned, it was at Hyoyoung’s/Jung Woo Yeon’s account (she’s deleted it since). It was just in reel form where she was getting herself ready for filming, but there was a highlighted list next to her that got me curious at the time and I took several screenshots to see if I could read it and see what the heck it was. 

The other spoiler was at the personal blog of one of the sound directors. I had sent him a private comment to thank him and the crew for their hard work, and I mentioned about the page and confessed that I tried to read it, telling him what I managed to read and what not. Perhaps he took pity on me? He added another  photo later, where I could read what I couldn’t in the first photo (while covering the rest). The episode number was heavily blurred, so I cannot tell if it was 116 or 118.

Despite all of this, I was still holding out hope that there must be some way to see this work out for Kyung Soo. But the current progress of the story, added to all this, hasn’t helped much.

It’s not that I don’t want to hope. Because boy, I do want to, desperately so. Dailies are known for sometimes leaving the true happy ending at the very very end. So any time someone would try to give any sort of hope, I had been clinging to it like crazy. I wouldn’t even mind looking like an emotional idiot if it means a happy ending for Kyung Soo and Young Shin, but especially Kyung Soo.

• Like 4

Don't like the way KS always matching up YS with JH.  Why?  Is it because he doesn't believe YS loves him? Or he thinks YS doesn't know what love is?  It's annoying every time like that, he said he always wanted YS to be more happier than him. Is being with JH the solution?  Not happy.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@TRAN I agree I feel sad for the plot line and I really hate it when the character is planning to die by the end of the show.  But in this one I had the way the pyscho had been persistantly following her and being pushy with her all the way along and now what the solution is to give him to her as a farewell support gift because "oh Im dying, she will need you".

Please tell me the writers have something else in mind here, if she ends up with this guy I will not watch the end of this drama nor rewatch it like I have done others either...

The common theme in kdramas is you dont like me but i have the right to stalk you like crazy until you come around to my way of thinking.  It seems in some of these dramas the girls are so timid they dont say anything to his and the guys run around love struck and appear arrogant by the end of dramas.  Its annoying when they dont stand up to them and tell them to stop doing it.  This maybe different only in the context that the one she cares about is dying, but you still dont push her onto pyscho, heis persistance is that annoying that now he doesnt have a redeemable bone in his body......

YO KS obsessed with someone and loving someone is two totally different things....

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, bluesappir said:

That’s one of the very few things I never liked about Kyung Soo. How every time that he thinks about seeing Young Shin date or settle or whatever, he always brings in Jung Hoon. It’s always Jung Hoon. When he himself once admitted that anyone who loves this kid would get hurt. Besides, Young Shin is her own person. Why can’t he let her decide for herself what she’ll do once he’s gone? She will need time to heal, and if after she’s able to move on, if she decides that she’ll give Jung Hoon a chance or not, shouldn’t that be her decision? Tha

Death is inevitable and we should accept it. I can hear myself saying that because I'm healthy and I don't see death lurking. But when someone knows he's going to die very soon and he had told the Evil woman that he did not want to die, he has to be in immense pain mentally and emotionally. The first person he's thinking would have to be YS and her wellbeing. 
I think he's picking JH because he does not know anyone else. 
The writer is writing this part well, not nice but well.

I feel YS is rather clingy in her attachment to KS. Whether it's YS or the other 3, I think of them as young people who are learning about adult life. I did stupid awful things in my undergraduate and grad school days( at their age). Both JH and YS may meet someone else and 10 years later think of their first loves - if in real life.

Evil woman said that KS had nowhere to go because he's uneducated. I always thought of him as a rich man's son who would have had a good education at least till high school, had well off friends who are now rich and influential. His father must have gone bsnkrupt when he was very young.

• Like 3