[Drama 2021] A Good Supper/ Be A Meal, 밥이 되어라

SC2019

Watching KS with his newfound mother was truly sad. I knew the writer was aiming for tissue wringing moments but I still cried. 

I didn't like either character because I felt KS was wishy washy and SJ was a real user. But the relationship at this stage was so sad, now I know why he allowed DJ to be used, YS to be played out, he did love his mother.  She was living with the Jungs for some years, so KS must have spent some years with her around and so the bond.

He is so much like the ML in you are too much. 

Ok not watching this woman's show for a long time, unless he can rein in my favourite actors.

• Like 3

Whelp…so it’s over.

While I’m not angry that I spent 60 hours on this show, I am disappointed that the past 6 months have essentially been for nothing. There was no happy ending, there was no proper resolution, nothing at all. It just felt like a cruel fairy tale and Kyung Soo and Young Shins love ended in vain. The heartwarming show about a man and woman and their diner family vaporized.

Instead what we got was a forced marriage, two lovers to be torn apart by both society and illness, and for our Young Shin to live the rest of her life in compromise. It’s definitely gonna be a while before I start another daily. The past few weeks have been emotionally exhausting and it’s gonna take me a while to recover from the sadness of such a wholesome character dying. It just hurts too much and I can’t help but feeling like we were duped. The writer dangled the carrot in front of us and then gave us an abuser and manipulator like Jung Hoon as a consolation prize. While I am disgusted at the fact that Young Shin is going to have to spend her life with that creature, I can only find solace that at least Da Jung/Oh Bok and Pil Sun/Young Goo got a happy ending. The lesson learned in this drama is you can do whatever evil and horrible stuff you want, you can disrespect prospective lovers, you can cheat, you can stalk, you can steal, you can kill, and despite all that, you’re going to get a happy ending. Sigh, disappointed but not surprised.

I’m just going to look at this show as a Romeo and Juliet style tragedy. Their love, despite being unfulfilled, was pure, beautiful, amazing and by the end, everyone accepted it. It sucks that we didn’t get the ending we wanted but I’m just going to pretend that the proposal at the end of episode 104 was their happy ending. The last 20 episodes never happened and that somewhere out there, Young Shin is living her best life with Kyung Soo, the man who she truly loves, cooking good meals, enjoying soy sauce with mayonnaise. No compromises, no tragic endings, no abusers, just Ahjussi and Young Shin.

It’s definitely been a rollercoaster ride and I’m really glad to have spent this past 6 months with you guys here! Despite the varying differences of opinions, for the most part everyone was able to respect one another and be mature about the themes of the show. Of course there were one or two bad apples who got banned and chose to harass viewers on alternative platforms but that’s to be expected since we all come from difference worlds and cannot expect everyone to be kind. But for those of you who did stick around, I had a great time listening to your opinions, seeing things through unique perspectives and laughing/crying with you. Thanks for being such amazing people, I really had a blast.

See you in the next thread!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• ferily changed the title to [Drama 2021] A Good Supper/ Be A Meal, 밥이 되어라

I am very surprised, I did not think she was going to marry JH, the marriage seemed sad and beautiful at the same time. GS is dead but he was happy for YS, that's all he ever wanted. The end is not bad, I just wish YS was pregnant, but they all look happy even JH and YS

Overall I'm disappointed with this drama, but the actors all played well, good performances, I'm impatiently awaiting the next projects of the actors who play JH and Oh BOK

See you guys:doggie:

• Like 3

I thought I'll be okay if I get to see JaeHee till the end but I'm not. I'm heartbroken.  I still cry whenever I think of him. He's been on my mind since last few months and it's very hard to delete him. It's been long time since such drama has affected me this way. GS is such a pitiful character, his only happiness is YS and yet they have to break them apart like that. So cruel. So cruel. 

• Like 4

I understand the story and plot line but sorry I am not into loveless marriages, no matter the reason.  It is cheating the characters.  I understand shey all did it for love of another person.  But he could at least be somewhat redeemable, sure he sacrificed knowing she was in love with another but his arrogance all the way through the drama destroyed any support for this marriage.

The only redeeming thing about this drama is it brought everyone together at the end which is what he wanted.  They should of ended it with her knew husband either annuling the marriage or giving her space and going overseas for a few years to give her some time or at least something more.......

I judge a drama by if i was willing to watch it again, as some of these long dramas I do rewatch the revenge plots again and again, this is one thankfully i skipped most of the parts, paid attention to tid bits of the plot line, didnt miss much and wont miss anything now that its ended thankfull.......now i can find something worthwhile to watch.....

• Like 3

I saw JH as more childish and immature rather than arrogant.  I definitely did not see him as abusive like I read from an earlier post.  As I was not a fan of YS, I did want JH to find someone who loved him as much as he loved and obsessed over YS.  The four main characters were like brothers and sisters.  It should have stayed that way.

KS-YS relationship was introduced well into the show when I had started following it. If it was early in the show, I would have dropped it. I had wonderful neighbours whom we called uncles and I shudder at the thought of them turning romantic. But on the flip side, there was a family whose husband looked much older and rumours were she was his foster child. They seemed to be a happy family. So maybe people find happiness in many ways as long as it's not forbidden by law, religious or civil.

I was expecting something worse from this writer. OB killed or ran away was a thought. 
There was a part when YS said she had always liked JH. But DJ was probably more proactive. So for her to marry him as a second choice should not be too difficult especially when they want to live in the same place. 
But I am going to be very careful with this writer.

Bye everyone, stay healthy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, fragglerock said:

I understand the story and plot line but sorry I am not into loveless marriages, no matter the reason.  It is cheating the characters.

I too don't love loveless marriage. 

I just feel so bad for GS. He sacrifices so much and it was becausue of him everyone was able to be one big happy family. So Sad

• Like 3

I cried endlessly in the final two weeks of this drama. And although it's not a perfect drama and the ending is not ideal, I thought the writer expressed something very realistic in the characters' development. There's something so deeply moving about it for me as many characters has had their extreme bad sides but in the end we realise that nobody remains a 100% the same throughout life. People grow, people change, life happens.

We see YS, OB, GC, DJ, DJ's mom, OB's uncle, CSJ and even CSJ's in-laws change throughout the entire 120 episodes. At the very end we even witnessed OB's parents and JH's changes. Life does something to all of us. It makes us step out of our shells, it makes us lose our priority in our egos, it opens our eyes to see what's really important to us. 

And I think DJ's mom and CSJ played a strong role to represent that all when they were both left in regret at the end after being so headstrong about how GS and YS must not be together. It all pales in comparison to death. At the very end, even an insistence on love such as that is between GS and YS pales in comparison to death. Although no indulgent moments were given for the love between them, GS' love goes beyond the need to have or to own YS (which is equally true for JH's love towards YS) and is beautiful in the memory and in the life change he has brought to YS. Loved how it ended with YS remarking that roads not taken can be the most beautiful.

I don't necessarily perceive the marriage between JH and YS was loveless in the end but instead it is a good step forward for JH to love without wanting; for YS to be loved without trying--something they had both struggled with. Although I feel so sad for GS' unfulfilled love and I am very open to the possibility of GS and YS. But at points I do wonder if YS' love for GS is ultimately healthy especially when she brought up how she became more desperately wanting his love whenever GS pushes her away. We also see snippets of her childhood life--working hard to love and be loved to prevent abandonment. Hence all in all, JH might ultimately be a good step forward for YS to live in a kind of love which she don't feel the need to earn or to strive for and she won't need to love out of the same fear of being abandoned.

If this wasn't a 120 episode drama but instead maybe a 120 minutes movie, it might have been a lot better since we wouldn't need to sit through 60 hours of watch time full of anticipation but only to be left with a not-quite-fulfilling ending (since leads didn't end up together and these kind of poignant perspectives almost always works better for movies). However I would still recommend this drama because I think it holds a lot of wholesome life values as long as one goes in with an open mind and minimal anticipation of what we want to see out of it and allow the storytelling to move us.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I don’t know if anyone still visits this particular thread, but I’m dropping by to share some sad news…

Actress Kim Min Kyung, who played Mang Soon, Oh Bok’s grandmother, has sadly passed away this week. She was going to be 61 next month. The cause of her passing has not been mentioned.

May she rest in peace, and my thoughts are with her family and friends during this difficult time. 

• Sad 2