[Drama 2023] Taxi Driver 2, 모범택시 2

LeftCoastOppa

https://zapzee.net/2021/04/28/k-drama-review-taxi-driver-remains-an-uneventful-dark-hero-series-for-now/
[K-Drama Review] ‘Taxi Driver’ Remains an Uneventful Dark Hero Series, For Now

by willow | images: SBS | Edited by Hong Hyun Jung | Translated by Kim Yoo Hyang

3BB63B79-CB7D-4A5A-93AD-A255424D8C5C.jpg

Repaying your sorrows is only a phone call away. Under the veil, Rainbow Taxi Company takes ‘personal acts of revenge’ to restore and protect the justice that the law and society failed to. The company plans its way to revenge and carries it out like a monster on behalf of wronged victims. This is the outline of SBS’s Taxi Driver. The show provides thrilling satisfaction as it unfolds a story about punishing criminals who are out of the authority’s surveillance. The series is about taking commissions for personal revenge.

55664D27-2DC8-4089-9B29-79F3C40B81A9.jpg

Taxi Driver depicts a Dark Hero figure like Vincenzo – a show that started before Taxi Driver – where they fight evil with evil. The leader of the vindictive show is Kim Do Gi, a former Special Mission Group Captain. While he silently fulfills his task as a Taxi Driver, he makes his presence felt when he starts on a mission. The character carries out the mission with resolute boldness and sober decision-making skills, no matter what kind of crisis he faces. When needed, he also shows off his power, taking on a group of people alone. Rather than pitying the victims who ask him to take revenge for them, he uses his energy to punish the root of the problem ruthlessly. Behind him are his colleagues from the Rainbow Taxi Company, who support him on the mission with high-tech.

On the one hand, Kim Do Gi and the Rainbow Taxi Company stand on cartoon-like grounds as the work is based on a webtoon. On the other hand, the cases that make them move are based on actual incidents directed by Park Joon Woo, who previously worked on Unanswered Questions. The show starts with Cho Do Cheol, a child sex offender, being released from prison after serving his sentence in the first episode. It also depicts the labor exploitation by the salted fish factory that violated the rights of intellectually disabled people, the continued school violence in the negligence of adults, and the assault of online storage service company employees done by its CEO. As such, these resemble the real-life cases reported in the media and caused public outrage.

014C46EF-D81C-4273-BB30-50AA1EC22F20.jpg

The show’s purpose and goal are clear. It questions whether justice in our society is working adequately, and it places blame on the absurd reality. The perpetrators, who should face the lawful consequence, are protected by the law and sneak out of the radar. Meanwhile, their victims have to live in pain and anger. Kim Do Gi and the Rainbow Taxi Company thus make their moves without tolerating such ridiculous realities. They take action in a bold way that the system was never able to. And they make the perpetrators pay a fair price for what they have done. Although the process of the revenge may seem unrealistic, a vicarious sense of satisfaction follows as we have seen so many cases where the law and society did not live up to their names.

However, the crude production holds you back when you try to enjoy the satisfaction to its fullest. First, it’s in the way the show illustrates crime. As pointed out from the first episode, the show gives the impression that it is trying to flaunt violent scenes by focusing on how brutal the incident is. Specific accounts of the appalling cases do not make the show more engaging. It could be another form of violence. While this is not a problem solely relevant to Taxi Driver, it is disappointing to see a lack of prudence in the way of reenacting the crime.

Considering how interesting the subject matter is, the plot seems simple while the characters feel ill-fitting. Though still in its early days, the show appears like Kim Do Gi’s one-man show. This is because his teammates in the Rainbow Taxi Company remain as supporting roles for him. The pace at which Kang Ha Na, the prosecutor that opposes Kim Do Gi and the Rainbow Taxi Company’s principles, enters the central narrative is too slow. Each episode draws from real-life events, but the dramatic tension decreases as the show is focused on using anger as a driving force. Therefore, problems in the series are way too easily resolved.

Spoiler

8481A72D-CE44-41D9-B8D9-2BB7027B2443.jpg

Nevertheless, expectations are remaining for Taxi Driver. The character development may be loose, but the actors’ superb performances catch the eyes. In particular, Lee Je Hoon perfectly fits the character, so much so that the gossips about his stunt double are forgotten. The actor makes the show enjoyable as he depicts Kim Do Gi, who usually is quite yet completely changes when starting on a planned mission. It’s delightful to compare Kim Do Gi before and after he goes on a mission. Esom makes viewers anticipate her performance in future episodes as she is fiercer in the show than she was in Samjin Company English Class as Yoo Na. Pyo Ye Jin also suits the series without awkwardness, despite joining later on. Kim Eui Sung is also making a solid presence as he treats the perpetrators and the victims with two different faces.

The car chase scenes are beyond expectations. They were called for since the story is set in a Taxi Company. Hence, a lot of work went into these spectacular scenes. The speedy car chases were seen right from the first episode, and Kim Do Gi’s parking scene in the third episode is indeed the best part. Car chases are not common in existing series, so this is one way the show is differentiated from the others.

The only thing remaining is the show’s plot. Until now, the attention was focused on elements outside of the work, such as the events based on true stories. However, to come to a successful end, it is crucial to focus on filling the plot. Despite its purpose to deal with social issues, Taxi Driver is about a dark hero. Therefore, the characters from the Rainbow Taxi Company and Kim Do Gi need to be more precise. Although it is important for the incidents to call for anger, they need to be more detailed for them to provide satisfaction to viewers while punishing criminals. I hope the regretful moments from the early stages of the show will be refurbished in future plot development.

Verdict: A K-Dark Hero series in need of a little more effort! (6/10)

Editor Hong Hyun Jung: K-content guide who publishes various articles for people to enjoy Korean movies and dramas deeper and richer. I’ll introduce you to the works that you can laugh, cry and sympathize with.

New to taxi driver. 

I caught up all 6 episodes :))) 

Love Go Eun and Do Gi chemistry. I enjoy their support for each others and companionship. 

I hope there will be a loveline between them but it looks more like sibling at the moment. Go Eun called Do Gi as ahjushi. I noticed that Do Gi gave Go Eun a present which is the colorful kids bandaids. She has a habit of covering her finger tip with bandage, wonder if there's any story behind this habit. It's so cute that Do gi noticed it. 

Anyone has any spoilers from webtoon? :p 

3 minutes ago, kaqueski said:

New to taxi driver. 

Love Go Eun and Do Gi chemistry. I enjoy their support for each others and companionship. 

I hope there will be a loveline between them but it looks more like sibling at the moment. Go Eun called Do Gi as ahjushi. 

I looked through 8 chapters and drama is very different from webtoon,even characters are different. In webtoon where is a sexy driver who is in love with main taxi driver,also there is no prosecutor at all. So it is hard to tell. But looking at the genre of drama my guess there won't be any love line in the plot. And to be honest I'm glad they just took the base idea because the webtoon is very violent and dark to my taste.  

• Thanks 1

• Lmangla changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] Taxi Driver, 모범택시, Fri-Sat @2200KST

chingus, admin has informed us that it is not possible to retrieve the old thread. please continue to use this thread for all discussions on this drama. 

@LeftCoastOppa ~ have edited the first post to follow the thread starter format. feel free to add more details about the drama if you like. 

re: @SC2019, @ferily

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, kaqueski said:

New to taxi driver. 

I hope there will be a loveline between them but it looks more like sibling at the moment. Go Eun called Do Gi as ahjushi. I noticed that Do Gi gave Go Eun a present which is the colorful kids bandaids. She has a habit of covering her finger tip with bandage, wonder if there's any story behind this habit. It's so cute that Do gi noticed it. 

SBS sure likes to tease their relationship on their social media, I think by now we can say for sure that at least Goeun likes him. I was wondering about the bandaids too, I'm guessing we're gonna learn about it since they have focused on it a couple times.

I've read the first season of the webtoon and know the ending, it's very different definitely more dark and violent. Goeun is the main heroine, Kang Hana's character doesn't exist and neither does our engineer duo. There are another female and male employee who don't exist in the drama. The godmother is a lot older in the webtoon. In the end

Spoiler

Dogi dies and Goeun goes to prison and is released after a few years

They pretty much only took the story idea of a taxi company taking revenge for others and some important characters.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Haeun said:

SBS sure likes to tease their relationship on their social media, I think by now we can say for sure that at least Goeun likes him. I was wondering about the bandaids too, I'm guessing we're gonna learn about it since they have focused on it a couple times.

I've read the first season of the webtoon and know the ending, it's very different definitely more dark and violent. Goeun is the main heroine, Kang Hana's character doesn't exist and neither does our engineer duo. There are another female and male employee who don't exist in the drama. The godmother is a lot older in the webtoon. In the end

Reveal hidden contents

Dogi dies and Goeun goes to prison and is released after a few years

They pretty much only took the story idea of a taxi company taking revenge for others and some important characters.

But

Spoiler

is in the end he found out alive? In the 8.8 chapter he came back ~

Anyway the webtoon and the drama story is very different)

1 minute ago, poloska said:

But

Hide contents

is in the end he found out alive? In the 8.8 chapter he came back ~

Anyway the webtoon and the drama story is very different)

That's not the last chapter though, I'm positive the drama won't go with the same ending, they are already so different anyways.

• Like 1

Just now, Haeun said:

That's not the last chapter though, I'm positive the drama won't go with the same ending, they are already so different anyways.

Thanks! Got it. Yeah, the drama is going in the different direction and so far I can understand everything except one thing. Why the chairman wants Ha Na close to the team? What is his intentions? Because it's not her choice at the first place, he keeps bringing her closer and closer.

Thanks for the input @Haeun and @poloska

Hmm the webtoon sounds very different, so they basically adapt base on the idea, but the stories are completely rewritten. I love how it's going so far. 

I feel like the editing is a bit choppy, at times they were in the middle of car chasing scene then it got cut to flashback scene.. random editing.

One of the thing I enjoy from this drama is collecting "romance crumbs" of Go Eun and Do Gi. I almost get mad at chairman to stop Do Gi from visiting Go Eun, hahaha, on one hand I understand where chairman coming from, that Go Eun needs to get out of her problem herself, and I love that Do Gi worrying about Go Eun very much so. In fact, the thing that help Go Eun is probably the box of bandage that Do Gi gifted her.

So the stories from the bandage fingers is that Go Eun tries to live as her sister - she even tries to apply to ?police academy on behalf of her sis, she tries to accomplish things for her sis and forgetting herself, she puts on bandage all over her fingers because her sis injured them while trying to get rid of illegal videos... this is all because of grief and guilt that she can't shake it off. 

Revenge drama never get their happy ending unless the characters accepts and forgive... since revenge is a vicious cycle, i hope Do Gi and Go Eun will get their happy ending. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kaqueski said:

Revenge drama never get their happy ending unless the characters accepts and forgive... since revenge is a vicious cycle, i hope Do Gi and Go Eun will get their happy ending. 

Director gave a spoiler that ending will be good with a bright feeling so I guess that means all main characters will be okay.Go Eun got her revenge so the plot will go on in different direction. For now I'm really looking forward to our duo story,what happened to their brother and sister...

I feel like the editing is a bit choppy, at times they were in the middle of car chasing scene then it got cut to flashback scene.. random editing.

And that's the only thing I don't like so far. Especially in 7 episode, bastards following Ha Na, Do Gi came for rescue and boom we got some flashback,hmmm....

• Like 1

One of the thing I enjoy from this drama is collecting "romance crumbs" of Go Eun and Do Gi.

I'm totally fine with no romance but those two are just too sweet and they have such nice chemistry too it totally took me by surprise. They are clearly fond of each other and care a lot and the show makes it a point in showcasing their relationship, idk what to expect tbh.

Goeun's past was really heartbreaking, Pyo Yejin did such a good job this episode.

The most satisfying thing this episode has to be Dogi beating that guy up with his helmet especially the part where he hit him in his crotch. Can't wait for the chairman to get what's coming for him too, next episode looks intense.

• Like 1

Go Eun.. Poor thing.. What that ******* of an ex did to her poor sister was unforgivable! Ugh I'm seething with anger at his blatant disregard at the poor victim by tellin' her he'd be set free after 6 months - oh dear GOD. 

That's the sad truth unfortunately. That the laws in South Korea don't do enough to protect these women. When Do Gi hit the ******* ex where it hurts with the helmet.. I actually applauded ha-ha! 

All that's left now is that idiotic receding hairline of a CEO of U Data. Can't wait for him to have a taste of his own medicine. Ha Na is acting way too rash. Not to mention cocky. She also lack resources and support. 

• Like 2

Watched episode 8,what a battle it was! Loved every bit except the ending... I understand they are antiheroes but they could kill a lot of people by that explosion,they saw the police so why....

• Like 1

Just finished watching ep8...

1. Glad Di Gi managed to withstand the bat... it was a vicious atrack and hits; was wondering why thr head didnt get hit like the previosu guy did... it was brutal, urgh.... amazing that he managed to gather his strength to beat all those men.... ex-special forces group captain eh..

2. The chairman dead with his *gold*... would it have been better if he suffered the same as in god knows jail somewhere underground as the rest of the bad guys are earlier?

3. Go eun's sudden revival though hoped for seemes pretty quick... glad that she managed to fine the *mine.

4. Hopefully the president of the taxi wouldnt be dead from the stabbing... i just cant imagine him being the actor in Lee Jeong Suk's drama about the artist and another dimension, haha.. and this guy in this drama now..

5. Will Prosecutor Kang understand Do Gi more now? Hmm... 

And how do people know Lee Je Hoon got USD$100,000 per episode... like wow!

Then how much is Song Joongki commands per episode?