[Drama 2021] Hometown, 홈타운

ferily

• ferily changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] Hometown, 홈타운 - Sat. & Sun. 22:30 KST

I like the mystery. I like how the tone  of drama match the year which was 1999. The Saju sarin gas attack happend 1987.

Ep 1:  "The woman in the bath tub"

Ep 1 was slow paced drama telling us what it is.. which the serial murder and abduction of high school girls. It happened 1999. Lee Kyung Jin went missing after her mother was found brutally murdered with 18 stab wounds. Several days afther  Cho Jae Young  (Lee Re' character)  another high school from same middle school as  Kyung Jin also disappeared.  Cho Jae young is the daughter of Cho Kyung Ho.. who was the master mind of the sarin gas attack  (possibly, could be, maybe, perhaps). Three days after the first victim was found ( (LKJ mother) the daughter went missing, it was CJY turn.

The present time if the drama is when Hyung In beingh interrogated but I don't know what year is that. But 1999 was the year the girls went missing  or murdered?). And yes, his wife was also a victim of the Saju train station sarin terrorist attack. They're calling it  as such.  I don't have suspects yet but.. I'll have to see Ep 2 later.

Slow paced but I like that it wasn't rushed. The gloomy atmosphere, the tone, the style adds to mystery of the plot. The year is 1999 hence the good prod style.  The mixtape seems to play major part and clues in solving the mystery.

By the way, if you're not familiar what a mixtape is:    Mixtape in the 80s and early part of 90's was the way people record songs. You get cassette tape and you record messages and songs.  If you're child of 80's/90's you'll know what it is

All twts ctto

By the way Lee Re is 15 for real. and the one who plays her best friend  Heo Jung Jun looks so teen -IRL.  She's grown  up so much. ( she always plays the  younger ver of female lead in dramas). believabe high schoolers because they are teens irl.

This drama's actors. And we stil haven't seen much of Uhm Tae Goo in Ep1

2 hours ago, brooksmom said:

Finally, for those of you who have access to ODK(OnDemandKorea), they are airing this drama with subbs.

Thank you brooksmom! I was wondering how I was going to watch this.

https://www.ondemandkorea.com/hometown-drama-e01.html

Episode 1 has English subs.

Episode 2 doesn't yet, but OnDemandKorea usually adds the subs later in the day.

Uhm Tae Goo as Kyung Ho who set the sarin gas in Saju train station. But the question is.. did he really?

E_7GTSDVcAMQ4Kd?format=jpg&name=small

sc ctto/twts

Episode 3 preview. Whilst I wait for ep 2 sub.

cr:@

I've seen netz praising the intro oropening of  Hometown. It is good. CRT tv floating in the sea. Birds flying inside the framed wall photo. mixtape

cr:@

c

• Like 1

Episode 2:  " The Missing"

This Ep got me covering my face. The scene where Lee Kyung Jin talking to the security guard and was trying to point the woman in the school yard looking... oh boy and the eerie!

So here's what I think Lee Kyung Jin does (allegedly) sees mysterious woman. Remember in Ep 1 she sense and can see  someone in the bathroom... then she suddenly went missing then her mother was found dead  stab 18 times.  She knows! She feels. She sees. I think she was brain washed.

Hyung In ask.. "what is a daugther can stab mother 18 times.  What if things you don't want to believ actually happened?"

Se Jong said he doesn't believe  Lee Kyung Jin could even  be resposible for stabbing her mother. He said it's impossible a high school girl can do that.  Hyung In thinks other wise. He said " I disagree".

I think mental conditioing strenghh technique from Lee Duk academy is doing something to the mind.  It's almost hynotice creepy sound meant to strenghten the mind. Like I said conditioning their minds.

Another revelation, Kyun Ho contacting his daughter  Jae Young through letters and the one who delivers  Hyung Jun's is high school friend. It's either the one suffering in the hospital or.... the other woman. She looks suspicious too me.  Din't see she sleeping pills to Hyung Jun?!

Last scene Hyung in as Se Jong to listen to the tape.. get more clues but something in that  tape and the sound.. that's for sure because Se Jong  in the last scene....

I think it's hypnosis! Wait. Could it be what drove Kyung Ho to do the sarin nerve gas attack???

The tones and texture. The 1987/1999 scene.. gotta say it's good. I d

EVENT Alert! What do you think should happen next? Calling all drama viewers who have an opinion on which direction a drama should be heading in. Here is your chance to play PDnim. Participate in this joint screenwriting game and lets see what kind of drama Soompi chingus come up with. Surely, it will be better than some of the duds we have been subjected to, right? :lol:

re: @partyon, @Lmangla, @Sleepy Owl, @confusedheart, @agenth

• Blob 1

Wait....this the reason why it was remove from original network OCN?

The writer is involve in controversy.

Spoiler

Back to Ep 3: The Mixtape

tbh, I got a bit bored this episode. I'm watching for the actors. Like I said future daesang winner  is part of this drama.

I'm watching because I'm curious. The VHS mix tape in 1987 and the cassette mix take of 1999 has the same vibe and mental sounds that your mind may be hypnotised. Enough to to do.....somethinhg gruesome? Lee Kyung Jin is murdered and Cho Jae Young is missing 3 days after. Kyung Ho is serving prison term.. for Saju gas attack. Also  before Jae Young went missing, she gave the mix tape to her best friend Mi Sook. The latter did not tell the police. Mi Sook also who is Jae Young father.  We know that father and daughter  communicating (via letters. there's a go between but not aure who)  even whilst Kyung Ho in prison.

With the controversy about with writer ( no comment, this is a drama fourm), I am still watching drama because I like the actors.  I like the horror like suspense mystery. I like the acting. Nothing grand over the the top even though you know the cast in this have impressive acting.  That's mark of good actor.

Ep 4: The Inverted Dream.

Spoiler

So we open up to the 'inverted dream' flashback Kyung Joo,screaming  about nightmare.  She's one of the Hung Jyung school magazine club mate ( also Se Jong's wifie),  back in high school. She's been having nightmare dream and the woman with her arms crossed ever since they watch the videotape sent to them also the other club mate Yong Tak have same nightmare.

I'm going to guess Kyung Ho is the one behind Jae Young disappearance.  For reasons....

When Kwan Hyu confessed to kidnapping Jae Young and murdering her, they believed she's dead. They went to the her school so the classmates can say their good bye, they brought her picture and the funeral van went around the school . But Hyung Jung believed she's not dead.  The broadcast club Jae Young and her friends are part  puzzled  and can't believe they saw Jae Young log in to messenger ( not sure what's it's called back in the 90's..like AIM, I guess). They told Jung Hyung abou this.. which stop acting like Jae Young's dead. She's going to investigate this and find out exactly what's going on.

I think Kyung Ho even jail, have have  ability  hypnotise - to calm, he says - Jung Hyung. I mean, she was getting emotional  and,and just by raising his finger to stop the outburst, she stood there in trance.

I also feel Jae Young is adopted. Something about, the emblem, the dream, the hallucination. conected to an orphange.

One thing about this drama is the tone, the colors - I'm not sure what is the correct term but it's set 80's  and 90s and credit to visual/art/photographer/production?.  The phone they're usiing is even the old type Nokia or something like that cellphone.

Epi 5 and 6 coming up...

The series is slow, episodes take forever to get to the point, some actors' actions are dumb, and frankly by now (i.e. Ep. 6) it is clear that the cult members think Kyung-Ho is the 'guru' while he thinks guru is someone/thing else. For a while there I thought, 'guru' must be the investigating officer Hyung (because he was an 'overseas investigation unit member' who had suffered short-term memory loss and it would be a great shock to him if he turned out to be a mass murderer!, not Kyung-Ho) but now I think the root of all evil is Kyung-Ho himself. He and his sister were abused as kids in the 'welfare centre' run by detective's wife's father, he developed skills of hypnosis and has used them to his benefit to manipulate people ever since then. BUT the 'ghost in the tape' killer is something he got from the ultimate 'guru' / someone in japan, and that ghost is used to get rid of people who have outlived their utility, so some kind of black magic / voodoo crap. 

Why did Kyung-Ho put himself in a jail cell for 10 years when there was no evidence to suggest he was responsible for the station gas attack. He turned himself in for what reason? I am even unsure whether he did the station gas attack himself. i think the gas attack was done by the detective Hyung under hypnosis. 

Also, why was there a need to get rid of people in the original photograph? i.e. the woman and her leg-less husband and the mother and her girl. The murder of jail warden is simple: Kyung-Ho didn't like him or maybe thought he had outlived his 'utility'. 

I'm getting irritated at the aura and entitlement Kyung-Ho exudes around other people (the warden. the psychologist, the police, etc.) This guy would be fresh meat in a real prison! 

His interview is boring. The psychologist interviewing him will be killed off by the cameraman, she is so obviously playing into his mumbo-jumbo instead of getting to the point, and he has used both hypnosis techniques of tapping and fire during the interview. 

Detective Hyung's chief Wae-Tak is 'Mr. Proxy.'

The end game is poisoning the entire hometown - basically a mass murder / suicide - through the water system, by a cult of brain-washed hypnotised members, to punish the hometown, so that a new 'pure' generation can live there. And why does Kyung-Ho hate the town? Because it didn't do anything to stop the abuse at the welfare child centre! 

Of course, that means the gas attack was just Kyung-Ho's way to experiment with his abilities to control people before launching a Jonestown-like mass suicide/ murder. 

• Like 2

Let me just say I like this drama. I'm not bored about this. I'm intrigue and I lik the mistery cult the drama.  This is not horror per se but the mysteriousnes of the cult and killing and worship is there.

Ep5.  : Guru /  Ep 6: The Interview

If you happen to watch this and confuse. There are three timelimes.  80's 90's and the present

Everything always on flashback.

1985 when In Hyuk got int accident lost part of his memory. Move to Saju, his wife's hometown.

1987 when the train terror happened. His wife died

1999 when Kyung Jin missing and found dead, Se Jong died. Cho Jae Young went missing three days after kyung Jin

Present scene is The Interview

There's cult group which  the leader is called Guru aka Kyung Ho

Kyung Ho can manipulate the mind his sister  Jung Hyun and her friends. They took part of the train terror by transporting the gas. They were under hypnotic spell and memories erased.

And except for  In Hyuk...or may by NOT?!  everyone seems to be involve in everything related to Guru and the cult.  Jung Hyung school friends, Young Seob, who's supposed to be dead but is not and is the *Guru (?)  Then there's the ahjumma who's helping In Hyuk feed his sick dog.. who eventually died. She's also part of  the cult. I suspect the high school friend as well who liied to  Jung Hyun - she followed her  but said she accidentally saw her. In Hyuk's wife, a revelation that she actually already met Kyung Ho.. so does it mean, the wife who died in Saju train terror attack is involve as well. And likely the her father too  running for office -when the in law acted indifferent like.. he said he came to terms with  it and have to move on something like that.  In Hyuk had to remind the in law  the death anniversary of his wife.  You'd think the father would've been sensitive enough but.. no.

End scene ep 6 is the interview hwich is the present

Oh no.. that's Cho Jae Young.... is she being groomed? We're not sure if she's alive because this is 1999 flasback.

The disturbing  worship Bodies piled on top.

Spoiler

Ep 7 & 8 coming up.

If anyone can be so kind to let me know if they are speaking in a dialect? I'm always wondering about Busan and sartoori (not sure how to spell it) Mainly because I've heard people mention it and I am trying to get an ear for dialects and languages. Thanks.

Ep 7: One Family Welfare Center / Ep 8: School club magzine kids

During the interview  Kyung Ho even taunts and says matter of factly to In Hyuk that he Kyung Ho, "was her last man"   But wait  that would mean..... Jae Hyung is their daughter?! All the while In Hyuk has no idea.  But then... it could be In Hyuk doesn't know Jae Young is his daughter.  Kyung Ho is the Guru.  He and sister Jung Hyung were adopted from the welfare center and that's where  Kyung Ho befriended In Hyuk's wife.  Jae Young is being groomed  for Youngjingyo cult. The magazing school club kids back in 1987 were used as instrument for the Saju gas attack.  They are under the spell of the Guru, Kyung Ho. Whatever he says they follow. And even up to present time, they are still under their command.  But not Jung Hyung and Yong Tak.

The cult is doing "purification" brain washing them.. purfying them. Making them hallucinate about dead woman, then  hypnotising them  until they are unde their spell and will follow whatever the Guru wants.

They wil reeneact the 1987 Saji gas attack. And only those who completed purifying themselves can be together on that day.

Ep 9 Chonyeoung Filtration Plant /  Ep 10 Cho Kyung Ho

For someone who's been  in prison / psycho facilities Kyung Ho certainly has a lot of privileges and yes, since Ep 1 it's been noted.

But wai.. Jae Young is the Choi In Hyuk's daughter.  She knows all along Kyung Ho is her father though.

*all twts ctto as tag*

• ferily changed the title to [Drama 2021] Hometown, 홈타운