[Drama 2021] The King’s Affection, 연모

ferily

There are so many pretty people to look at I agree but I don't have any second or 3rd lead syndrome as much as I enjoy the eye candy. For me I cannot help falling for Ji Hyun and no,  it has  nothing to do with Rowoon's abs! LOL. 

I just really love how Ji Hyun is written. I admire the young lad that he was standing up to his father & cutting off ties with him since he knew what his father did was not something that one can accept & overlook . And now as a man he continues to live by his principles and convictions. That makes him even more attractive beyond intelligence & good looks. It is clear that he treats people well regardless of social standing, has guts & courage and is not one that can be swayed easily. If he has not been threatened with the life of his friends , he would have never entered the palace. 

The lotus flower lecture that he gave was a beautiful reflection of how he has lived his life , and I like that it was the very 1st major lesson that he has given Hwi. I like it so much that I will retype it here:

" Someone once said that the palace can be as dirty as the mud. Lotus flowers bloom in mud but cleanse their surroundings. And the leaves have the ability to shake of murky water. There's no trace of any dirt of them. Just like the lotus  flower that stays virtuous despite its dirty environment, I hope that you will become a strong king. That's why I gave you the seed. And some hurt innocent people under the premise of a greater cause. However no matter how great the cause is, it cannot be greater than people's lives" 

I personally found this even more swoony than all the romantic tropes we saw  :wow:

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Though I sometimes have the SLS on some dramas in this show the second lead doesn't have that spark to me yet. I am now much interested in Kim Ga On than the 1st or second lead. I always love the story of the guards that are loyal...

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

First time posting on this topic.  Love hearing all your thoughts and comments. :)

I hate the Prince's father (King) for being too weak to find a solution to keep his daughter. And showing that much affection to his 2nd born son while being cold to his daughter sure is not fair. 

Am sure the Prince's grandmother  is up to something. Am not sure if she is there to truly be by the Prince's side to help her or has another agenda. 

I don't like the Uncle. ha ha ha I guess his acting is effective if I am not the only one who hates his character in this drama. 

You can really tell that Lee Hyun cares for the Prince. He has a very friendly disposition with most folks but I noticed that the Prince has a special spot in his heart. Probably started as a friend but somehow, when the Prince failed to recognize him that once .. Lee Hyun somehow paid more special attention to the Prince and really feels affectionate with him. He even gives special attention to the gifts that he gives the Prince. I like his character.  I just hope he will not get killed in this drama just to save the Prince.  Too many folks dying to save the Prince. 

I like our ML. He knows what is right and wrong and will not give excuses to actions that should not have been done in the first place. I want to see more interaction between our ML and FL. I see our ML saving FL most of the time but I want to see how feelings develop between the two.  Lee Hyun, I see him truly in love with the Prince and his one-sided caring/loving actions. I would like ML show that much affection in the long run.  Right now, I feel like he is intrigued with the Prince's character - Familiar but yet distant feeling.  Attracted but not yet as deep as Lee Hyun. 

@aysha106  I too am very much interested in Kim Ga On.    Am not sure yet what his role in the Prince's life would be but I have a feeling he will fall in love with the Prince and be fighting SL spot with everybody else falling for the  Prince.  Who knows, maybe even the brother of Lee Hyun might fall for the Prince too. lol   

This drama started off really good and I am hooked!  The child that played as the young Prince was amazing! I very much appreciate all the actors that played their part no matter how big or small.  It all came together beautifully.  Looking forward to more action, romance and comedy filled scenes. 

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

So one question in the poll is already answered in episode 5. 

The mannerism of Hwi while opening her books is bothering me a little bit. I don't like doing that to my books because the spine will bend! (But I'm not really to the point of being a spine preserver on my books).

Will there be a scene where Ji-Un see her as little Dami because of how Hwi open the pages off her books?

As for Ra-On, maybe he was connected to the Prince's royal tutor so he is having his revenge for him. Still not sure if Hwi is also on the list of his revenge but I'm hopeful he will be one loyal pup when he knows that the present prince is not the real prince the tutor taught 10 years ago.

Edited by aysha106
  • Like 3
  • Blob 1

Park Eun Bin is quite beautiful, even in male clothing. Tutor has seen her without the clothing and thus can't help but make comparison as their faces are identical, which probably explains why he is very cheeky with the Prince. He constantly is near her (no five steps for him), even tries to touch her, and does things boldly. If he hadn't met her before, I don't think he'd be that disrespectful. 

Even though I enjoy the Prince/Tutor banter, I often think that the way he acts towards Crown Prince is very out-of-line. But how else would they establish rapport? 

And like he said: It's true that she is lonely, despite having Court Lady and the Monk next to her - she is being rejected by her own father, despite trying to live up to Crown PrinceTM  ideals. The only one sympathetic in royal family is the Queen Dowager, who always seems to have a smile/soft spot for the Prince, though her employing shady bodyguard seems to be a mark against her. 

The Royal Uncle keeps acting up, yet he isn't  getting any punishment, or even lives. It surprised me that she protected him from her Grandfather ~ He may be a bumbling fool, but his obsession with throwing shade at the Crown Prince is quite unhealthy - what does he think he could achieve? He hardly would become the Crown Prince himself. 

I keep wondering for what reason her father is apathetic toward her. One would think the Crown Prince would be treated with utmost care. One of my theories is that he knows she is a woman, and he considers her a placeholder for when his second son is adult enough (so he survives his youth - from assasination attempts / influence of Grandfather). 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, agenth said:

One of my theories is that he knows she is a woman, and he considers her a placeholder for when his second son is adult enough (so he survives his youth - from assasination attempts / influence of Grandfather). 

i have the same feeling

• Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

Because of the new characters such as the new queen and the prince I am in doubt with the King too. But he also might be showing this to everyone so as to make Hwi stand for herself and be brave even if she's left alone.

Edited by aysha106
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

11 minutes ago, aysha106 said:

But he also might be showing this to everyone so as to make Hwi stand for herself and be brave even if she's left alone.

let's hope you're right...wouldn't be nice to see that he loves his child?

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

@agenth maybe the king being apathetic to hwi is his way of keeping her safe. if he favours the crown prince too much, the queen & her supporters might find ways to get rid of hwi so that her son can be crown prince. 

i'm excited to see how hwi's character develops. she's mostly been in the shadows minding her own business trying to survive. given how good natured the twins were, she probably wants to help people in her position but can't afford to attract attention. ji un inspires her to be better and it'll be interesting to see how she grows into a worthy monarch, gender aside. 

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

Hi, just join this forum & loving the show, so far..I dunno if anyone has pointed this before but does anyone else think/feel bodyguard Ga-On is the real crown prince? If their mother can fake her newborn daughter death, can’t she fake her son’s death too? Her son was already badly injured at the time, so letting her father thinks the girl was dead instead of the boy, she can actually save both her children.

When the crown princess didn’t revel to his evil father he killed the wrong child, I thought at first she was preparing to hide her daughter before revealing the truth to her father. But she went all out to ensure Dami secured the crown prince position. Why would she did that fully aware when the time comes the “prince” will be arranged to marry some girl but she’s a girl herself, so can she hide her identity for ever? So why was the queen risking her own daughter’s life unless she took the risk to ensure Dami secured her brother’s Crown Prince position until he’s ready to resume his position without the evil grandpa influence.

Why I think so is bcs

1) Ga On is too pretty for a guard, and resembles Dami a lot. If the real Hwi was alive, they may look alike when young but upon puberty he would have grown taller & appear more masculine than his twin sister

2) The way Dami looked at Gaon, seems like they have some kind of telepathic connection. The very careful Dami seems trustful & comfortable around Gaon, when her nanny & eunuch are careful & suspicious  around him. Also he kinda amused with the eunuch, like he already knew him well.

3) The way Gaon seems overly protective of Dami yet not curious at all abt her

4) When evil grandpa came looking for Dami, his seemed more edgy than usual. His expressionless face shows a flick of anxious or scared. Perhaps even more than Dami, only the real Lee Hwi know how scary their grandfather can be

5) For some reason he was send by the Dowager queen aka the twins biological paternal grandmother. While the former king keep numb when evil grandfather suggested they killed the girl I’m sure like the twins’ mother, the dowager would do her best to save her grandchildren 

Edit:

Adding another point, since Gaon appears on the scene, those who were involved with Hwi’s tutor execution were murdered one after another. The only person who would want to avenge the tutor’s death would be Hwi himself.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

In sageuks, you can get sick and tired of the court politics, the greed, the bickering the power grabbing, the intrigues, the corruption, et al.

It seems weird, but for this drama, I am enjoying the palace intrigues instead of the romance, which I feel is too contrived.(For example, when Hwi's gat was deformed and Ji Un gave his gat to Hwi, she did not know how to tie the ribbons? She used to be a palace maid for a long time, so for sure she's tied many knots, so it was not possible that she cannot tie the gat ribbons by herself). It's just like knotting the ribbons of their top to keep it closed.

I want to know the back story of Ga On, and Inspector Jung Seok Jo - why is he blindly following all the instructions of Hwi's maternal grandfather, and why he's so ruthless. In passing I even want to know why the King is so indifferent to Hwi. And also why he doesn't blink when he's on screen (lol)

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

13 hours ago, wildcherry said:

Ga On is too pretty for a guard, and resembles Dami a lot. If the real Hwi was alive, they may look alike when young but upon puberty he would have grown taller & appear more masculine than his twin sister

interesting ...i hope you are right!!!wouldn't be nice ?the true CP alive!so maybe one day will take his place back and our otp will be free to leave the palace

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

2 hours ago, andy78 said:

interesting ...i hope you are right!!!wouldn't be nice ?the true CP alive!so maybe one day will take his place back and our otp will be free to leave the palace

@andy78 @wildcherry This would be so great but I can't really see it happening unless every single court maid and eunuch gets 'silenced' in the process. 

But I really do like the idea that Ga On Oppa is a real oppa and not just a contender for CP's heart. :)

• Like 3
  • Blob 2