[Drama 2021] The King’s Affection, 연모

ferily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwtJB6GFPQU

this is a video about some differences between the drama and the manhwa. I've read somewhere that the production team has changed quite a bit from the manhwa and the manhwa focus quite a bit on sex scene which i don't think it will be played out as PEB is quite conservative (which I like about her). The manhwa doesn't have anything about lee hwi collecting evidence to bring down her evil grandfather either. I hope a complete happy ending which includes justice to be served to the evil grandfather!

Without the kiss scene on the lighted path, we wouldn't see how fuming and fearful ji un's dad was when  knowing that he had killed the real crown prince. Don't know what he will do to protect his life and his family! In ep 13, lee hwi told ji un to stay away from her because she wanted to protect him from her grandfather, but in ep 14, she asked him to stay as long as he could! sigh... at the end of the day, it's a romantic love drama for us to enjoy and I am simply happy with the great acting and chemistry by PEB and Rowoon! :grin: I can't complain too much as there aren't many good dramas to watch these days especially on wed-thurs.

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

Chingus :waves:

Initially started this drama and then dropped it after ep 5. @ferily convinced me to restart it after @Sleepy Owl dongsaeng and @agenth by mistake gave some spoilers away.... hehe

Am now on ep 7. :glasses: Still have a long way to go until I catch up with the rest of you.

Thoughts:

1) What's with the flashbacks? So many flashbacks.

2) What's with the long stares? So many long stares. In every episode.

3) What's with the "ooh, I tripped and fell but he caught me" scenes? And top it off with several flashbacks of it.

These scenes take up like 30 mins of each episode?

confused tonight show GIF

What's keeping me going is that I heard that there will be an abs scene soon. I'm a simple girl: I see abs, I watch. :joy:@Ameera Ali do join me,dear.

I am kinda liking this drama, but have to use the FF button.

Excited Chris Farley GIF

A lot.

• LOL 10

On 11/23/2021 at 8:36 PM, ferily said:

He definitely knows that Hwi is Dami now and based on the preview, it looks like he’s going to try killing her?! Why the heck would he do that?! Who will be king then :huh: I’ve been trying to figure out how Affection will end and I was thinking that Hwi would somehow be able to get out of the palace and be with Ji Woon, but at the same time, I’m wondering who would be King in place of her? hyun?? or the other prince that got banished? That would be so interesting if Hyun became King because he is part of the royal family too...I’m predicting that Hwi manages to leave the palace and that’s how she can be together with Ji Woon. Orrr it might just end up having a tragic ending..

What I think is, there is a very high chance that Hwi will appoint Prince Jehyeon (her younger brother) as Crown Prince once she has dealt with her maternal grandfather, or maybe she can do the same for Hyun or his older brother, Prince Wonsan (although I don't like that dude, and this is a chance that he will go down as well with the evil grandfather). 

Now if they go for making Prince Jehyeon the Crown Prince, then she will need to rule for sometime so that he gets old enough to rule independently and not require a regent. In that case of course this will some time for her to abdicate the throne to him and leave the palace to be with Ji Un. 

And then comes the typical Sageuk ending, one of the leads dying :loolz:

You know, I always remember think about the old Sageuks where we would know the leads will die before even starting it :joy:

Although the last one is also an option, I don't think it will happen. They might even go for the ending of movie "Masquerade", you will get it if you watched it. 

But for now, again I am disappointed by how her secret was revealed, and I really want the leads to be cautious and smart. 

I’m actually loving how the drama is showing more politics and I personally find it interesting. Also If there’s one thing about sageuk, it’s that the drama starts off all happy, funny, comedic but then gradually becomes more mellow and heartwrenching. I mean this is why I like sageuk :D

Sageuk without Politics feel so empty, so it is interesting we are having it. How else would Hwi defeat her maternal grandfather who is the politically the strongest person in the country right now, so much that even the Dowager Queen feels helpless in front of him. 

Spoiler

Your comment on Sageuks starting happy funny and then becoming mellow, heartwrenching. Can't help but think about "Scarlet Heart" which turned super dark in the later episodes, having started with everything with everyone being so cheerful :sweats:

I like how Hwi is pretending to be a puppet in front of Sangheon but in the shadows, she’s plotting to take Sangheon down. Slowly more and more people are finding out about her secret, which is expected of course.. We didn’t see Kim Ga On that much this episode but looks like he returns next episode! I feel like he will be on Hwi’s side but we shall see how that goes..

This is interesting, although I do think that somewhere in between the maternal grandfather will come to know about it at a crucial time, which will lead to one of the important characters make a sacrifice for it :sweats:

Also the Queen though…I actually don’t feel bad for her as I should? :sweatingbullets: She is still young and super immature so I think that also plays a part of it too. We see her be clumsy in this episode and it’s because she isn’t used to the royal etiquettes but at the same time she needs to realize that the Palace is all flowery as she thinks it is.

From what I feel, her marriage was pretty sudden and she didn't really get any proper training. The Royal weddings usually took long time since they would train the bride to make her used to Royal etiquettes. But here I don't think it could happen, and so she has been how she is right now. 

I do feel pretty sorry for her. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

5 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Sageuk without Politics feel so empty,

I disagree. :D Would love to see a sageuk without politics. I could finish the sageuk in 6 episodes!

:wow1:

Instead of 20.

Okay, back to watching ep 7 now.

Leaving Awkward Moment GIF by The Great British Sewing Bee

• LOL 4

@partyon You do you :loolz: Chingu, about the abs scene, I want to mention where it is but at the same time I want to keep it a secret so you keep on watching Affection till the end  :lol: Shhhh everyone, don’t tell her what episode the abs scene is in… Also politics are the charm of sageuks!! I personally love learning about the history and background of Joseon and Korea. I might be biased though because I am Korean myself..

Oh @QSD the person who tries to slash Hwi is 100% Ji Woon’s father. I also went back a few times when I first saw the preview to confirm it. Im thinking that he tries to kill her or hurt her because a) he finds out that Hwi is actually Dami and he slayed the real crown prince or b) What if the grandfather orders Ji Woon’s father to do it because he also finds out about Hwi? Or maybe ji Woon’s father just does it in secret..

@starveri I also agree with you and thought it was sad to see Ji Woon work as a scribe like that. He definitely is a person who wouldn’t really belong in the palace not because he’s a bad person but because like ji Woon’s father said, to be in the palace you can’t always do what is right even though you know so.. I was surprised his father actually listened to Ji Woon and let him come into the palace too..

Now question for all of you guys, we see that Ji Woon’s father is about to slash Hwi in the preview… Who do you think is going to save her?

a) Lee Hyun

b) Kim Ga On

c) Ji Woon

And do you think the person who saves Hwi will get hurt?

im leaning towards (or maybe I just want to see it happen :lol:) Ji Woon and yes he gets hurt… Thoughts?

EDIT: also can Monday come any faster? I’m dying over here! :crybaby:

• LOL 6

40 minutes ago, sanghyuk said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwtJB6GFPQU

this is a video about some differences between the drama and the manhwa. I've read somewhere that the production team has changed quite a bit from the manhwa and the manhwa focus quite a bit on sex scene which i don't think it will be played out as PEB is quite conservative (which I like about her). The manhwa doesn't have anything about lee hwi collecting evidence to bring down her evil grandfather either. I hope a complete happy ending which includes justice to be served to the evil grandfather!

Without the kiss scene on the lighted path, we wouldn't see how fuming and fearful ji un's dad was when  knowing that he had killed the real crown prince. Don't know what he will do to protect his life and his family! In ep 13, lee hwi told ji un to stay away from her because she wanted to protect him from her grandfather, but in ep 14, she asked him to stay as long as he could! sigh... at the end of the day, it's a romantic love drama for us to enjoy and I am simply happy with the great acting and chemistry by PEB and Rowoon! :grin: I can't complain too much as there aren't many good dramas to watch these days especially on wed-thurs.

Hello everyone,:gangnamstyle: it's been a while but i was a silent lurker. I want to leave a comment about this drama. For me it's a beautiful story and i love PEB and Rowoon. Their acting is superb here and if they would kiss HOT as i hope they will do in next episodes, maybe writer will show a deep kiss at least, i think this drama is one of the best saeguk i watched in last few years! About PEB being conservative, i've watched her last work (Do you like Brahms?) and their kissing scenes were deep! I think we'll not see a bed scene in The King's Affection but Rowoon is a good kisser as i saw his drama with Won Jin Ah.:popcornjackson:

About the plot i think Ji Un father will kill the evil Lord grandfather to save his child. He will redeem himself, it's his only way to show his love to Ji Un. Maybe Hyun will die to save Dami (Lee Hwi), i don't want him to die for her but it a possibility scenario. And i think Dami's little brother will be the King. Hope to see a great happy ending... Maybe Ji Un dream to live with her in a village and make a living from fishing will come true!:issohappy:

• Like 1
  • Blob 7

9 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Guys. I just realized I completely missed this week's episodes because of binge watching older drama Secret Love. :open_mouth:

LOL - Yours and @agenth's little Secret Love rewatch messed with your drama schedules :D You missed the latest episodes, and @agenth skipped 2 episodes by mistake too. :D

15 minutes ago, ferily said:

Chingu, about the abs scene, I want to mention where it is but at the same time I want to keep it a secret so you keep on watching Affection till the end  :lol: Shhhh everyone, don’t tell her what episode the abs scene is in

Alison Brie What GIF

9 minutes ago, lolly84 said:

it's been a while but i was a silent lurker. I want to leave a comment about this drama.

@lolly84 :waves: Welcome back!

Spoiler

Soooo.... Would you happen to know in which episode the abs scene is in? :emmm:

@ferily chingu, don't read the spoiler. :tounge_wink:

• LOL 8
  • Blob 1

19 minutes ago, ferily said:

Now question for all of you guys, we see that Ji Woon’s father is about to slash Hwi in the preview… Who do you think is going to save her?

a) Lee Hyun

b) Kim Ga On

c) Ji Woon

Ooooh, I love this one. Added it in the poll :piggydance:

Chingus the Poll is up for this week's episodes, please don't forget to vote!!! :hooray:

re: @partyon, @agenth, @confusedheart, @Sleepy Owl

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

Perhaps im a minority here... but i dont think jiun's father was trying to kill her... instead, he was actually trying to save her...in the next episode...  (psstt... some previews, we can be misleading)

Its 14 episodes, he cant be killing the king now when an heir has not been found for  replacement. The reason why they ask the king to produce an heir, in one of the many possible k-drama plot, is to claim regency if they kill the king... since Hwi is still grandfather's grandson, im sure he wants to keep his family line...

Yes, that's just my thought :D

• Like 6
  • Blob 2

Haha I was actually going to comment that it can be a poll question @Sleepy Owl but I’ve been busy with thanksgiving today… Also chingu I think there’s a typo in the second question — says Ji Eun instead of Ji Eun’s father :)

As for #3, I wasn’t sure how to answer that question. I feel like they will try to be secretive about their relationship but people are bound to find out, not because of their carelessness.. Everyone is bound to find out eventually in the drama, it’s just a matter of when!

Also I didn’t realize that seok woo’s (rowoon) OST came out already seeing how we haven’t heard it in the drama yet. I just want to say that I love the OST for this drama so far! Definitely will be getting all of them on Spotify… But if they don’t release this one specific OST by the end of the drama, I will riot:evillaugh:

Also congrats to Seok Woo for singing his first OST for a drama! :fullofhearts:

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Regarding the poll questions:

1. Just like everyone else, I want DamHwi to be free from the palace and be happy with Jiwoon. The idea of her being a female ruler is nice but just let the poor girl live her own life. As for the next king candidates, even though Prince Jehyeon is  next in line but in terms of personality and skills, Hyun is the best choice and he will be a great diplomat *cues his smiley threats*

2. I also think the preview might be misleading. I hope it will be like how Gaon barged into DamHwi's bathroom and seems to aim for her but actually aiming for the hidden gisaeng. Also, killing DamHwi will not solve anything but makes things more complicated on the evil grandpa's side.

3. I think it will be an open secret among the palace people but most will downplay it to deep "friendship" just because to them, both of them are men. "They are good friends", they said.

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

On 11/25/2021 at 12:48 PM, lolly84 said:

Their acting is superb here and if they would kiss HOT as i hope they will do in next episodes, maybe writer will show a deep kiss at least, i think this drama is one of the best saeguk i watched in last few years! About PEB being conservative, i've watched her last work (Do you like Brahms?) and their kissing scenes were deep! I think we'll not see a bed scene in The King's Affection but Rowoon is a good kisser as i saw his drama with Won Jin Ah.

Did you read my mind or what? omg i so want this to happen especially when their chemistry is on fire. Don't want that to be a waste tho :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote gifs! Thanks
  • Like 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

22 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Guys. I just realized I completely missed this week's episodes because of binge-watching older drama Secret Love. :open_mouth:

Just to confirm - everything through Episode 14 has been released, right? I think I just need to catch up on 13 and 14.

If you're talking about Secret Love with Jisung my god that was an amazing drama! If you like that one I would also recommend Defendent which has a similar revenge plot but different cast. 

20 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

Perhaps im a minority here... but i dont think jiun's father was trying to kill her... instead, he was actually trying to save her...in the next episode...  (psstt... some previews, we can be misleading)

Its 14 episodes, he cant be killing the king now when an heir has not been found for  replacement. The reason why they ask the king to produce an heir, in one of the many possible k-drama plot, is to claim regency if they kill the king... since Hwi is still grandfather's grandson, im sure he wants to keep his family line...

Yes, that's just my thought :D

Spot on I think that the teaser is misleading and we'll see the dad probably trying to protect his son. Idk if it's out of fatherly love but he knows the grandfather will kill him knowing he made a mistake (which is also why he asks in the teaser if the grandfather needs be so harsh in punishing people)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

43 minutes ago, zaizai00 said:

If you're talking about Secret Love with Jisung my god that was an amazing drama! If you like that one I would also recommend Defendent which has a similar revenge plot but different cast. 

Yes! It's that one! It is a good one, though what Yoo Jung has to go through just breaks your heart :(

Thanks for the recommendation - haven't heard of it but I'll look. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Blob 3