[Drama 2021] The King’s Affection, 연모

ferily

I generally enjoyed the first two episodes. It gives us some insights into hwi's character and sets the story up decently. I was surprised that ji un would discover her female self so early as such a smart guy would surely be wondering why a girl is dressing up as the crown prince. Could that be the reason he decides to work in the palace instead of as a doctor. It seems like he chose the doctor route over a scholar/official after witnessing his father kill the court maid in cold blood. 

@Ameera Ali haha I too was wondering what was the point of throwing the chopsticks :D A variation on the heimlich? 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

I read many praising tweets about Yeonmo coming from a non-fans of both lead. The emotions I had while watching the two episodes. The child actors specially the young Lee Hwi is astonishing. The amount of the acting she has to be able to pull of the twins scenes. Good job indeed. 

Anyway Good Data has released its Top 10 buzzworthy dramas for the first week of October 2021. Drama — The King's Affection at #6. It's for the first week, meaning that yeonmo has really been anticipated a lot before the first broadcast!! 

Rowoon visual is really no joke. I know Cha Eun Woo has said to be the  most handsome idol-actor and beauty is in the eye of the beholder but Rowoon's visual is more of a manly type. I super love him in She Would Never Know/Sunbae Don't Put on that Lipstick

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

16 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

this should have been abs scene, I nearly fall in sleep :D , her bra is so long is enough for whole kingdom to use :lol:

** we all know she a girl no need to proof to us director  

Lol, lol. Maybe we'll get some Rowoon abs later down the track. Something to melt the Ice Prince(ss)' heart.

Totally getting Park Min Young Sungkyunkwan Scandal vibes from this scene though. 

Love the concept of this sageuk drama. If Love in the Moonlight and the Crowned Clown had a baby, this would be it. Can't wait to see the next episode. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, Ameera Ali said:

** she most be the only woman/ Prince that doesn’t like A SILK :mrgreen:

Maybe the cover that's made of silk is easier to unravel than the cotton? 

That's why the end scene for episode 2.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

15 hours ago, debbsthebee said:

It seems like he chose the doctor route over a scholar/official after witnessing his father kill the court maid in cold blood. 

and i wonder how will feel when will know he was the one that killed the real CP and the girl he loved brother...our fake king grandfather is a horrible man...i just loved the first two ep....i can't wait for ep 3

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

I just watched the first 2 episodes and I enjoyed them! But too many heartbreaks especially in the second episode making me wish this drama is a romcom version of The Crowned Clown :(

I loved the childhood scenes and the child actress for the twins really killed it making me wonder if is it a she or a he. Another thing I love is the friendship of Book Dong, the eunuch and the twins especially with Dami because they have to keep a dangerous secret together at a young age. I also find it ironic that the precious and cherished prince is the one who died instead of the abandoned female twin by the hands of someone who thought killing her will protect the prince's claim on the throne.

I'm curious to get to know the other characters that haven't appeared yet like Kim Gaon, the bodyguard and No Hakyung. In Lee Hyun's character description, it was mentioned he has secret feelings for someone so I'm curious who's his crush is.

Edited by starveri
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

Is this going to be a sad ending where Dam-i lives out her life as a lonely King and perceived gay?

Or will she be able to abdicate and live out her life with the son of her brother's murderer?

Or will she fake her own death and live out her life with the son of her brother's murderer?

On 10/11/2021 at 8:39 PM, Chesleigh said:

I really like sageuks and with a twist like this (twins!), I'm sure it will be different from any other sageuk stories. I'm not familiar with actual history so I guess it's time to check up on if twins were really considered bad luck in cases like this. :weary:

Can't wait for tomorrow's episode!

I am not sure about Korean culture. But in Chinese culture that would be the case. It would be similar. The other twin would need to be removed (killed). Even if they were both boys. Girls no need to say. 

On 10/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, Ameera Ali said:

this should have been abs scene, I nearly fall in sleep :D , her bra is so long is enough for whole kingdom to use :lol:

** we all know she a girl no need to proof to us director  

It's not a bra... It's a binder. To flatten her chest... FYI. It's a common prop used in a lot of type of drama to show girls hiding their identity. In this case probably to tell that she uses the silk for such purpose. Also during the horse riding scene she touches her breast cause probably the silk binders getting undone. 

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote gifs. Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, pantherlily said:

Is this going to be a sad ending where Dam-i lives out her life as a lonely King and perceived gay?

Or will she be able to abdicate and live out her life with the son of her brother's murderer?

Or will she fake her own death and live out her life with the son of her brother's murderer?

I am not sure about Korean culture. But in Chinese culture that would be the case. It would be similar. The other twin would need to be removed (killed). Even if they were both boys. Girls no need to say. 

Ugh, it's hard to see how she'll escape this pickle. But out of all three options, the third one is the most likely option for a modern day sageuk. Feels shameless about living with the son of her brother's murderer, builds a bridge and gets over it. Fakes her own death. One of her rivals (a nice one) takes her place as Crown Prince/King. Gains happiness by not being lonely any more and by being able to be herself.

Really hoping that we don't get a sad ending. Dam-I has been through so much already. :'(

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

On 10/13/2021 at 11:30 AM, debbsthebee said:

I generally enjoyed the first two episodes. It gives us some insights into hwi's character and sets the story up decently. I was surprised that ji un would discover her female self so early as such a smart guy would surely be wondering why a girl is dressing up as the crown prince. Could that be the reason he decides to work in the palace instead of as a doctor. It seems like he chose the doctor route over a scholar/official after witnessing his father kill the court maid in cold blood. 

@Ameera Ali haha I too was wondering what was the point of throwing the chopsticks :D A variation on the heimlich? 

I was thinking maybe that was first step to push the date up towards his throat, so that it'll be easier to deliver the final blow to the back haha. :joy:

Also, nice to see you here @Ameera Ali!

Thank you all for the insight on twins! I guess in the really early days in many cultures, twins are frowned upon. Where I'm from we don't have any of those kinds of omens so it's really interesting to know history from this kdrama!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

@andy78We'll probably get some angst/guilt once the truth is revealed but let's hope that it won't be too draggy.

@morganian I read that the comic had a tragic ending. Crossing fingers for the best case scenario where both of them disappear and live out their lives together. 

@Chesleigh haha i didn't think of that. Could be some acupuncture skills he picked up along the way. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Blob 2

18 hours ago, debbsthebee said:

I read that the comic had a tragic ending. Crossing fingers for the best case scenario where both of them disappear and live out their lives together. 

omg really?if that's the case i hope they'll change it too...both of them disappear and live out their lives together...is the best end for me...but will be hard...his dad did killed her brother!

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

On 10/14/2021 at 1:29 AM, starveri said:

In Lee Hyun's character description, it was mentioned he has secret feelings for someone so I'm curious who's his crush is.

If it's same as the manhwa then he likes fake crown prince (dam-i).

20 hours ago, andy78 said:

omg really?if that's the case i hope they'll change it too...both of them disappear and live out their lives together...is the best end for me...but will be hard...his dad did killed her brother!

In my understanding of the manhwa it's a happy ending for me..

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

20 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

Daily Netflix World Ranking #TheKingsAffection #13

Grey's Anatomy is still ranking?!!!!!

That show has been around forever.

Just watched the first two episodes and cried through almost all of Episode 2. What a tearjerker! :tears:

The child actress who plays both the little prince and Da Mi is so gifted. Her scenes were painful to get through but she delivered. Da Mi has it hard, though - she was abandoned as a baby, had to beg to survive, met her brother then lost him, lost her court maid friend, AND lost her mother. Good grief! Then she has to fight to survive as a woman playing the Prince in the palace. I can forgive her if she has some arrogance/ anger issues.

And Jung Ji Un is definitely going to have some daddy issues.

This sageuk is so beautiful to look at but I would NOT want to live there :lol:.

I've liked Lee Pil Mo (the actor who plays Da Mi's father) since seeing him in Pinocchio. Good to see him here, too.

• Blob 2

I was watching the first two episodes with my mom and we agree with everyone that it was a solid first two episodes —- hard carried by Choi Myung Bin, the young actress. She was sooo great in both roles. The Prince’s death got me because it was so brutal! I also thought Crown Princess mother would stay around longer but ah she died too soon! I also like the cinematography, direction, and writing so far too.

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 4
  • Blob 1