[Drama 2021] Bossam: Steal the Fate, 보쌈 - 운명을 훔치다

rocher22

I also think the King told Bawoo to protect princess Hwa In no matter what...ep 17 will be very interesting...Yi Yicheom is not DY father...his aunt seems to be his mother...who is his real father?This familly has so many secrets,Kim Ja-jeom will be the next Yi Yicheom!!!i HAVE THE FEELING HE WILL BE WORSE THAN YI YICHEOM

• Like 7

I am watching ep. 15 and what happened to this show?! I really am disappointed that they turn a very smart, capable FL into a ‘Cinderella’ stereotype with mean MIL and the birth mom lady bullying her etc. It irks me that she doesn’t speak up at all and just bears it. I know they do it to build up the reveal that she is THE princess but I wished they did it better - this was all super predictable and grating to watch. :( 

Having said that- the actress that plays the birth mom is GOOD; she succeeded in making me feel hate for her character lol. On to ep.16 oh and MIL continues to be sooo very annoying; ahhhh my subtitles are done mid-episode but will go on anyways…ok the end was a good sign and hopefully back to form!!

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Yinye said:

I am watching ep. 15 and what happened to this show?! I really am disappointed that they turn a very smart, capable FL into a ‘Cinderella’ stereotype with mean MIL and the birth mom lady bullying her etc. It irks me that she doesn’t speak up at all and just bears it. I know they do it to build up the reveal that she is THE princess but I wished they did it better - this was all super predictable and grating to watch. :( 

Having said that- the actress that plays the birth mom is GOOD; she succeeded in making me feel hate for her character lol. On to ep.16 oh and MIL continues to be sooo very annoying; ahhhh my subtitles are done mid-episode but will go on anyways…

I was wondering whether to skip ep 15 altogether and just wait to see ep 16. the ep 16 clips posted by @pad-hari and @andy78 encouraged me to watch ep 15 knowing that it is only temporary that this woman will be there.

after watching ep 15, feel the princess is a lot stronger than she looks. she is literally playing the long game and very focused on her priorities. her real thoughts are about ensuring that bawoo comes home safe in one piece. without him, she has no standing but also the entire family is not safe. so rather than picking fights with this woman, she decides that it is far better to keep quiet.

we can see that woman getting more and more irked because the princess is not doing a quiet, meek or scared deference. this is more like the deference that women in the palace play to each other's position. the princess is very secure in that sense and that always rattles the enemy.

she is also very conscious that it is chadol's birth mom and it is her love for the child that is also giving her a little respect -- sort of like in modern day divorces, give the other party some common courtesy. that is her strategy here. so the princess is not really playing cinderella. we can also see her determination to live as she eats the food even though she is feeling hurt and humiliated.

without bawoo to back her up, she is indeed the second wife. if she picks a fight with this woman and shows her cards as the princess, then the safety of the entire family is also at stake. it could also impact bawoo who is far away in the north. so basically she is biding time till bawoo returns. she knows that once he returns, there is no question of her losing her place. so there is no insecurity or fear on how bawoo will react. also, she has learned from bawoo the lesson of living first and sometimes swallowing insults and dignity to get through the day -- the idea that if you live long enough, you can get back to those you love and want to protect. 

at the same time, am glad that we didn't get too much of the household stuff; that woman was 100% successful in annoying us viewers. ugh. bawoo and dae yeob running around and escaping was far more interesting. but in some ways, it felt like a bit of filler episode. 

18 hours ago, andy78 said:

Yi Yicheom is not DY father...his aunt seems to be his mother...who is his real father?

am surprised they haven't revealed it yet.. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 4

It’s a core characteristic of Soo Kyung is that when it comes to The unbending Joseon Confucian  hierarchy and submitting yourself to elders and higher ranks she is unerring. She may ride horses and dress up in drag and write juicy stories but she is not going to Disobey or talk back to Mother or legal wife. To hurt her new family, namely Cha dol and her love by untoward action is not even a consideration She fights for others, never herself and that’s just her nature. 

This Kind of patient long suffering quiet FL is not popular these days because it’s seen as weak and submissive by some viewers  is ..  However  she is determined  and pragmatic in her views as to what is right and wrong behavior. Her great strength is Taking care of those around her physically, mentally and emotionally and earning their love, respect and trust. She usually always gets her way in the end doesn’t she? :)

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2

I wonder when and how they are going to end this.

According to the timeline, 1619 was the Battle of Sarhu where Joseon sent troops to support the Ming against the Manchus and that's when the general Kang, who appeared in Ep 16, was captured. In 1623 was when the Emperor was deposed and exiled, and Left Councillor Yi was killed. So our story is set between 1619 and 1623.

Are they going to end with Emperor forced to step down? Our princess will only be safe if the Father in Law dies/ agrees to let go, and she can go and live in obscurity with Ba Woo. Or if the Emperor no longer tries to make her a political pawn any more.

BTW, historically, when Yi Yi Cheom dies, his 3 sons were killed too. I can see Dae Yeob in the show sacrificing himself to save the Princess.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

23 hours ago, Lmangla said:

after watching ep 15, feel the princess is a lot stronger than she looks. she is literally playing the long game and very focused on her priorities. her real thoughts are about ensuring that bawoo comes home safe in one piece. without him, she has no standing but also the entire family is not safe. so rather than picking fights with this woman, she decides that it is far better to keep quiet.

we can see that woman getting more and more irked because the princess is not doing a quiet, meek or scared deference. this is more like the deference that women in the palace play to each other's position. the princess is very secure in that sense and that always rattles the enemy.

she is also very conscious that it is chadol's birth mom and it is her love for the child that is also giving her a little respect -- sort of like in modern day divorces, give the other party some common courtesy. that is her strategy here. so the princess is not really playing cinderella. we can also see her determination to live as she eats the food even though she is feeling hurt and humiliated.

without bawoo to back her up, she is indeed the second wife. if she picks a fight with this woman and shows her cards as the princess, then the safety of the entire family is also at stake. it could also impact bawoo who is far away in the north. so basically she is biding time till bawoo returns. she knows that once he returns, there is no question of her losing her place. so there is no insecurity or fear on how bawoo will react. also, she has learned from bawoo the lesson of living first and sometimes swallowing insults and dignity to get through the day -- the idea that if you live long enough, you can get back to those you love and want to protect. 

Thank you for this insightful analysis. Strength is not always about fighting back according to the enemy's rules. Sometimes being still as clear running water and letting the enemy roll on their own dirt ignorantly covering themselves in mud is a more apt tactic. Let your foe defeat themselves. Strength is in having a mind of clarity and intellect. The princess is highly intelligent, emotionally stable and tactically well informed . As you stated, it was not only about her, but about the safety of the whole family especially BW. She never lost her dignity when living with BW. They were always on the run for their lives and she used that time to educate herself about the life of ordinary people and adjusted well. In many ways, the Princess and BW were fated together. They are both fugitives from the upper class they were born to. The Princess also lived outside of the palace but as an upperclass widowed woman at the rich and noble family of her father in law where she was treated badly by her in laws. Yet she used that time to educate herself about that family. Compared to how she lived as a widowed noble woman who was not free to make her own choices because she had to adhere to strict protocols and was always being scolded if she did not, to her living with BW as a lower class citizen, where she learned to cook, wash clothes in the river of peaceful scenery and lived in a hut in the mountain surrounded by the beauty  of nature, shopping on market day appreciating and being grateful for small things like boiled eggs, learned to make a living washing dishes and free to make her own decisions while consulting with BW. It was physically hard life but that is how she learned to adjust and grow as a woman of strength. Therefore, by the time she met the first wife, she was ready for what the first wife was going to dish out. The first wife however, had no idea whom she was dealing with. Before you start a fight, know thine enemy. 

Edited by lila21
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Wiggle 1

On 6/21/2021 at 8:04 AM, Lmangla said:
On 6/20/2021 at 2:02 PM, andy78 said:

Yi Yicheom is not DY father...his aunt seems to be his mother...who is his real father?

am surprised they haven't revealed it yet.. 

I am going to make a guess here. I think the father could be Dae Chul the right hand man of Lee Yi Cheom. There were many instances where DC suspected or caught DY involved in the escapades of the princess and BW from the minister's hoods and yet  covered for DY. Could he be covering for his son?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lila21 said:

I am going to make a guess here. I think the father could be Dae Chul the right hand man of Lee Yi Cheom. There were many instances where DC suspected or caught DY involved in the escapades of the princess and BW from the minister's hoods and yet  covered for DY. Could he be covering for his son?

that was my first guess too but then the aunt made it seem like the birth secret was some earth shattering tsunami for the whole family if it came out.. so that was confusing.. 

• Like 6

Spoiler: Daddy was a Gumiho Or maybe a stranded alien or a Goblin. 

Seriously I mean, does it matter? Really? People aren’t watching to find that out. We want to Bossam family happy and married and the the old Devil dead! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

ep 16 - when a confrontation is more dynamic than a reunion hug and him saying "I love her".... so much as I am loving this drama, I feel like I need some intensity in the romance department or something. all the politics kind of bore me to be honest and these chess games between the left councilor, the king and bawoo is not really why I am watching this show.... I miss the vibe of the initial first half of the show. 

so yea, the best part of ep 16 was the ending scene. the princess was bold, strong and super. just look at her, marching alone to confront her enemy with a smile, a straight back and totally kicking attitude. woah! she is also walking out as the lady of the house, in all colours and greeting him as a stranger -- super!!! 

bossam-94-96.jpg 

the other fun scene was the family trying to figure out what to do with chadol's mom. had to laugh a little that the monk so callously said that he will make her face a wall and maybe in a few years, she will become human. ha! or he will just shave her head and force her to be a nun. ouch! no wonder she run off. we were expecting her to get tragically killed instead of the princess and that would have made it kind of tragic and sad for chadol. in this case, it is her own greediness that caused her downfall. she had no idea what kind of man left councilor was and instead of getting a reward, he ordered that she be rid without a second glance.. hope that is the left we see of her :sweatingbullets:... 

also had to laugh when dae yeob met the princess and offered to help her. okay, so he feels that as a second wife, she is likely to suffer and sees it as humiliating. but how exactly does he think he will help her? where exactly will she go? to some temple and be a nun? hide in his house? LOL... 

for the next two weeks -- can we please have something more than just hugs? even a forehead kiss? or a passionate speech? or hand holding? or laughing together or something?!!!! what would you like to see?

• Like 6
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

the other fun scene was the family trying to figure out what to do with chadol's mom. had to laugh a little that the monk so callously said that he will make her face a wall and maybe in a few years, she will become human. ha! or he will just shave her head and force her to be a nun. ouch! no wonder she run off. we were expecting her to get tragically killed instead of the princess and that would have made it kind of tragic and sad for chadol. in this case, it is her own greediness that caused her downfall. she had no idea what kind of man left councilor was and instead of getting a reward, he ordered that she be rid without a second glance.. hope that is the left we see of her :sweatingbullets:... 

I was wondering how they would fix the 'first wife' problem during this episode. Ba Wu is too noble to silence someone who knows about the princess, and bribes would have been a very short-term solution for this particular character (I can see her sucking him dry and then running off to the Left State Councillor for some more money). The writers sending her off to the Left State Councillor to do the dirty work was a neat solution. 

I feel sorry for Chadol. He really doesn't deserve to have such a horrible woman as his biological mother. 

• Like 8

My comment re Princess in the last two episodes was not because I didn’t understand the historical context and Confucian society norms back in the day. Same re the ‘strength’—- yes, it is more than physical but about endurance etc etc. My issue was more about how they portrayed her character; they were other ways they could have done those scenes that captured all this in a way that didn’t reduce her character so and then have her turn back to form again at the end of ep 16. Just my opinion - I found that her character has been a little inconsistent or the least fleshed out.  

• Like 6