[Drama 2021] Bossam: Steal the Fate, 보쌈 - 운명을 훔치다

rocher22

Not just Joseon. Medieval India practiced Sati in which widows burned themselves to death on their husbands funeral pyres. Other cultures all over the world had similar practices. 

@Sakurafairy

Of course He was being boorish to keep up the scum bag front and doesn't care if she is offended. Once he starts falling for her he won’t be like that because well acting like a pig with a dignified lady won’t get her to love  you back and sure won’t get you any booty. Ever. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1

11 hours ago, morganian said:

Yes, there's something very familiar about this. I remember widows being 'encouraged' to commit suicide in Tale of Nokdu because it was considered honourable. Must be a Joseon thing?

Yes, I believe so, because Joseon was Confucian on Crack. In Goryeo, they could remarry.

10 hours ago, RobinM said:

Not just Joseon. Medieval India practiced Sati in which widows burned themselves to death on their husbands funeral pyres. Other cultures all over the world had similar practices. 

@Sakurafairy

different cultures have different “religious” reasons for treating widows as having no lives worth living after their husbands died. In the end, it came down to sexism. I have trouble believing any sensible religious text in its original meaning ever wanted to waste a woman’s life.  Religions usually want to utilize women for babies as much possible!

• Like 5
  • Shocked 1

As they are in matching noble clothes in the last filming day  I think a happy ending is likely.  Presumably he got his family name back to be wearing those things and she is dressed neither as a princess or Widow as well:)

• Like 6

17 hours ago, RobinM said:

I think a happy ending is likely.  Presumably he got his family name back to be wearing those things and she is dressed neither as a princess or Widow as well:)

i hope that too...i like the child actor the most...i can't wait viki subtitles...

• Like 5

I think we have to prepared for BW to be indecisive and try to get rid  of the Princess at least 4 or 5 more episodes. He is a pretty complex Character.  But it’s more realistic this way. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, RobinM said:

I think we have to prepared for BW to be indecisive and try to get rid  of the Princess at least 4 or 5 more episodes. He is a pretty complex Character.  But it’s more realistic this way. 

I love that he is atypical and hasn't signed on to giving up his life. he is a dad and is genuinely scared for the outcome. it makes him more complex and human. there are genuine risks not only for him but also for his son. it definitely makes for a more interesting watch because you don't get this brave hero type character who is so confident and resolute... 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

seeing a bit of ep 4 raw -- loving the cinematography and the mood of the drama. :wub:

it is an interesting shot to see how her clothes react to the jump -- this is not something we often see and I like how the dress blows up like this balloon... 

bossm2.png 

been a while since a drowning saving scene looked artistically pretty too. :wub:  or maybe I am not seeing those kind of dramas? hahahah... 

bossam1.png

and the sinking of the ring signifying her old way of life including her widowhood and status is also gone...

bossam4.png

and then the beach shot -- waah!

Spoiler

love that he is huffing and puffing when carrying her. sometimes it seems that the male lead is superhuman. kekeke... but for ba woo, it is not easy to save a drowning woman and then carry her...

bossam5.png

love this aerial shot of them on the sand beach. 

bossam8.png 

bonus pic: our man in agony when he thinks she fell. will he gather up his courage and help her out? love that his hair is so messy! 

bossam3.png 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Episode 5 was amazing, darling , funny, touching and even more without needing one subtitle! If they can keep this up to the finale this drama will be a classic. End of. 

Spoiler

Our princess is learning to live a useful productive life and earn her keep through a hard day work  ... she could not go back to her gilded cage and be content with passive null existence ever again. And the bunnies! OMG. 

And she can talk back and give as good as she gets as well. This I like. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Ba Woo was happy when he was buying those shoes like any girl in this world... :D

I like how he carefully chose the most expensive shoes.

Its only a matter of time before BW admits to himself that he likes her.

• Like 6

That a beautiful Princess, esp the daughter of the man who destroyed his family  is turning him upside down emotionally, and potentially forcing  him confront his demons finally  is making him lash out to protect himself. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Ba Woo was happy when he was buying those shoes like any girl in this world... :D

I like how he carefully chose the most expensive shoes.

I loved this scene. I love how he tries to figure out what size feet she is and then buys the most expensive shoes because they were made for her and would fit her perfectly. And then gets a free pair of socks thrown into the bargain. Practical and romantic.

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

this is not something we often see and I like how the dress blows up like this balloon... 

and the sinking of the ring signifying her old way of life including her widowhood and status is also gone...

Reveal hidden contents

love that he is huffing and puffing when carrying her. sometimes it seems that the male lead is superhuman. kekeke... but for ba woo, it is not easy to save a drowning woman and then carry her...

love this aerial shot of them on the sand beach. 

bonus pic: our man in agony when he thinks she fell. will he gather up his courage and help her out? love that his hair is so messy! 

Omo, waiting for subbers to finish this episode so that I can watch it. In terms of imagery, it's very baptismal as well. Reborn again so to speak.

There's so many near drownings in K-dramas, which signify a new start. The most recent one which sticks in my mind is Mr Queen, where she literally comes back as a different person. Anyone else have any K-drama drowning/rebirths that come to mind?

Edited by ferily
Please don't quote images. Thanks!
  • Like 8

watched ep 3 and was so surprised the king saw his daughter but ignored her. little cha dol immediately picked that up -- how cute was he when he described the king's eyes were so big :D so cute! anyway, was anyone else surprised by the king's move? is he trying to protect her? does he want to use her to squash the father-in-law and the northern faction? is she now everyone's political pawn where her life or death could be used for different purposes? 

I really love the shots of the 3 of them walking in a line like a family. something about it looks so heartwarming. is it just me?

bossam18.png 

Spoiler

bossam9.png 

the PD really does love aerial shots and am all for it! it certainly gives a grand type saeguk feel no? like you are in a different world, a different time? 

Spoiler

bossam17.png

On 5/10/2021 at 2:38 AM, rocher22 said:

there is already a certain kind of familiarity with the way he handles her. like when he removed the thorn from her foot. she was so shy but he was so blase about it.

bossam13.png

just look at her shy expression... you could tell that she was totally getting goosebumps at his touch. awww! was it because he was the probably the first man to touch her feet in a while (or never?) or was it just him? 

Spoiler

bossam12.png 

On 5/10/2021 at 8:15 AM, morganian said:

I loved this scene. I love how he tries to figure out what size feet she is and then buys the most expensive shoes because they were made for her and would fit her perfectly. And then gets a free pair of socks thrown into the bargain. Practical and romantic.

he basically used his hands to remember what her feet size was. there was something so personal about it no? like he wasn't just a stranger but already someone more. 

Spoiler

bossam14.png 

her delight in getting the shoes -- it is interesting that she actually got the wedding shoes that had been meant for her because of him. it is almost symbolic that because of him, colour is coming back into her life. what was once lost is being returned to her though she does not know it yet... gah, my heart! is anyone feeling the feels? :D 

bossam16.png 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

Oh I love that connection of the shoes bringing color into her life! @Lmangla If it really was meant to be her wedding shoes, that makes it kinda meaningful that he was the one who bought it for her. I do hope they went back to retrieve the shoes from the cliff.

If I recall correctly, do correct me if I’m wrong, women in historical times, those who are decent anyway, would allow only her husband to touch her feet since that would be considered something intimate. I suppose that was why she was so shy about it and prompted this comment from him?

56-CE7-D24-28-AA-47-A5-91-B8-F5-A937379-

And the way he used his hands to measure her shoe size. Is it just me, but do I see him imagining something else too? :smiley: :lol:

Off the top of my mind, one drowning scene that I can remember was the one from Scarlet Heart. But that was a time travel kind of rebirth.

I haven’t seen Ep4 yet as I’m waiting for subs. But yeah, the camera work is really good. 

B716-CF24-B19-A-4975-9-C32-ADA8-EC9-CCBA

Credit to silvertrhee

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

59 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

her delight in getting the shoes -- it is interesting that she actually got the wedding shoes that had been meant for her because of him. it is almost symbolic that because of him, colour is coming back into her life. what was once lost is being returned to her though she does not know it yet... gah, my heart! is anyone feeling the feels? 

Shoes: a way to a woman's heart. Lol.

Yeah, you are spot on with the symbolism there. Totes Pleasantville vibes. She's suddenly able to have a life of her own again.

Red is also the colour of war and passion. It could be interpreted as the loss of virginity and innocence? There's something very carnal about how the blood seeps through her sock and her response to the handling of her foot. 

Just loving the symbolism/imagery in this series!

Still waiting patiently for the subbers to finish episode 4.

Hey Subbers, 화이팅! You are doing an awesome job with the translation, keep up the good work. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

loving this song especially of the 3 released OST. not sure if the lyrics are as sentimental but there is a kind of sad vibe to the music and it makes your heart ache no? is it because it is used in scenes where ba woo and the princess seem so down - like they have lost at life and are wondering what to do with themselves? 

bossam - love song - Jung In - OST part 2

@shinkeru @morganian ~ even in the modern context, the way he touched her feet was like he knows her or has the right to -- it wasn't a kind of stranger touching feet like in a pedicure if that makes sense. so yea, it is a kind of sizzle moment as she seems very aware of him physically even though he is just trying to help. 

• Like 6

Yay, done with ep3. 

Gonna praise again this drama for the excellent CINEMATOGRAPHY!  Its color is so somewhat vintage. 

In this episode the drama highlighted the wisdom of the king and Chadol. Chadol knew that the king made an uncommon facial expressions when she saw her daughter. The king also knew that time isnt the best time for their  reunion. Chadol indeed is one smart boy.

Talking about HwaIn. Based on the teaser she dived onto the cliff wanting to end her life. Pitiful life of a woman. How can a person especially a woman to live like that? Good thing, although  discrimination is still in our  society and depression still ends life of people, at least now, the public is more aware of what to do. 

Let me back after I watch episode 4.

Soompi article!

“Bossam: Steal The Fate” And “Undercover” Hit New All-Time Highs + “Mine” Achieves 6th Highest Premiere Of Any Weekend Drama In tvN History

BN’s “Bossam: Steal the Fate” and JTBC’s “Undercover” soared to new heights last night!

On May 8, Jung Il Woo and Girls’ Generation‘s Yuri‘s new historical drama “Bossam: Steal the Fate” achieved its highest viewership ratings yet for its third episode.

According to Nielsen Korea, the latest broadcast of the drama scored an average nationwide rating of 4.6 percent, marking a new personal record for the series.

skipped unrelated 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1468100wpp/bossam-steal-the-fate-and-undercover-hit-new-all-time-highs-mine-achieves-6th-highest-premiere-of-any-weekend-drama-in-tvn-history

• Like 9