[Drama 2021] Bossam: Steal the Fate, 보쌈 - 운명을 훔치다

rocher22

:please: bossam is daebak!

I totally didn't expect such high quality production as well as a gripping storyline. saeguks often have such complicated politics that I usually fall asleep and I can't tell who is who. but this one -- at the heart, it is a really simply tale but I love what they have done with it. the music sets the mood and the scenes.

the characters aren't typical. she is not lecturing anyone, she is not out to conquer the world. in many ways, she is as defeated and pulled into a corner as he is. the small amount of freedom she has while going to the temple, you realized how starved she is of normal interaction and how small her world has been. yet, she lives and tries to keep her dignity and also take those moments of happiness when she can.

rather than this brave brusque man who can do everything in saeguks, you see a softie who is educated but hiding away his talents for some unexplained circumstances. the only light in his life is his child. otherwise, he too is as defeated and put in a corner as her. he doesn't trust women because he has been burned. he says he doesn't trust the king either -- so what happened to him there. 

you could totally feel his fear when he realizes what a colossal mistake he has made with this bossam. what went wrong? did he enter the wrong house? was he given the wrong tip off? and he has to choose between the life of his son, himself and the life of her. it was so dramatic to see him being conflicted where he is trying to get rid of the problem of her and wondering what to do.

like many have said, the scene stealer was the son. how cute was the kiddo when he thought that his dad got him a new mom. and how quickly he became her little friend and protector. awww. I love that I have no idea where this story is going or how it will turn out. but I was totally on the edge of my seat and I didn't even realize how fast the two episodes ended! 

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 3

That scene when BW sold the princess was brutally realistic.

He deserves that slap.

Bawu isnt a perfect hero but I like that he know how to apologize.

The princess and Chadol are a team. BW has no chance against them.   :D

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

he doesn't trust women because he has been burned. he says he doesn't trust the king either -- so what happened to him there. 

Yes, I am curious to know what his background is as well. Bau recited a poem by Song Kang of the Westerner faction in the first ep. Maybe his family was deposed by Lee Yi Chum's Northern faction previously. Obviously LYC would have used the king to get rid of his political rivals, so anyone who has been screwed over by LYC's faction would be resentful towards the king as well. 

I wonder if they will feature this particular king's dethronement. Historically, the Western faction is responsible for this, so maybe Bau is involved in this somehow. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1

20 hours ago, andy78 said:

yes...but the others do...i can't wait to watch their strange love story...as i said our hero son will love her first ...i also think she will love the child first ....the actors are very good...and there is also her husband brother that seems he loves her too...

Yeah, I can't wait to see more of this love story as well.

• Like 11

Chingudeul annyeong! 

Yay! This drama is off to a good start. The cinematography is 5 stars for me wc the highest is 5. Its title sequence is so amazing. The calligraphy, the painting. MBN put a lot of effort to its introduction and made the drama so interesting. 

IMG-20210505-134707.jpg
IMG-20210505-134829.jpg

IMG-20210505-134723.jpg

The plot is refreshing. I haven't known a sageuk plotline like this in my almost 18 years of watching korean dramas. However, the twist that the princess hung herself or just ended her life for the love of her hubby so that she couldn't come back to the in-laws household again has been used already in My Love from the Star if anybody of you could still remember.

I love the flow of two episodes. It's enigmatic of  what kind of relationship SooKyung/HwaIn with DaeYeop. I think they were really the bf/gf but since DY is the youngest he couldn't just marry first before the 2nd one. DY aunt said Lady Jo and DY were the two VIP in the princess life. Then, Sookyung eomma said she was married but remained a virgin. Is this mean the man had sickness and just  needed to get marry for the family honor. Eomma said also she should have protected her. 

Moreover, another intriguing is the family background of Bawoo. I think there is this scene that indirectly saying he is connected to the royalty bloodline. 

Plus,  i love love love the smartness and cuteness of little stone/Chadol,right chingu. He is so nth degree kiyowo. 

One flaw is I think Yuri and DongMi ssi are a little uncomfortable with sageuk tone. I hope they get better in the upcoming episodes

Kudos to the PD and SWs for the job well done in the first and second episodes.

The PD and the SWs:

:gangnamstyle:

16 hours ago, Lmangla said:

like many have said, the scene stealer was the son

Surely this kid will be more popular than the Ml and Fl. He is so smart and actor material. 

Spoiler

IMG-20210505-134933.jpg

IMG-20210505-134958.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

If there is any lighter scenes coming up it will be how she handles being a fish out of water doing chores and manual work as We know she changes into peasant woman’s clothes soon And how she ends up in drag  be interesting to find out as well.  

She can handle a bow which was considered feminine pursuit but were princesses normally taught to ride like that? 

• Like 10

found it hilarious when she was drooling over his abs and then brushed off his fighting as just strange to distract lady court jo... then later, lady court Jo said he has firm butt and shoulders - good qualities for a servant. bwahahaha...  kekekek.. the way these two ladies check him out and pretend they didn't. kekeke.... well, jung il woo does look fine as ba woo.

we need a gif commentary of that -- @Abs_ triggered, you interested? :P

here's the sample abs scene from the trailer if you don't want to see full eps. 

Spoiler

bossam-steam-the-fate-kdramadiary-q.jpg 

@maribella ~ check out bossam if you are in the mood for some light saeguk. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

@Lmangla  goodness, the writers must be reading viewers comments, exposed body parts in a sageuk? :joy: thank you, I'll check this out. I'm getting so turned off by birth secrets in Good supper, really flogging it. Time to move on, much as I want to know the ending.

• LOL 5
  • Wiggle 1

A statement from the court lady or the consort, I don't remember which, confused me in ep 2: was the princess sent as a virgin widow to live with that ghastly family?  If so, why? That's basically sacrificing her as a ghost bride.

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

8 minutes ago, tulip06 said:

A statement from the court lady or the consort, I don't remember which, confused me in ep 2: was the princess sent as a virgin widow to live with that ghastly family?  If so, why? That's basically sacrificing her as a ghost bride.

Exactly! Lady Sugui  who have said that, eomma of Lady Sookyung. She also said that "she should have protected her."

I think the 2nd son of the Lee's has illness and that youngest son and sister- in-law have the romantic relationship. This is only my prediction. :crazily:

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

41 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Is this drama 16 or 20 episodes?

20 according to wiki...

Poll alert! vote for your choice! if you have ideas for polls for this drama or others you are watching, do let us EOs know and we will set something up. :)

re: @partyon, @Sleepy Owl 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 3

I was actually surprised with the “Every night...” line. I know he is rough and crude (or at least pretending to be)so it’s in character but I just didn’t expect that line/ implication  in K drama.  

• Naughty 1
  • LOL 7

On 5/5/2021 at 3:41 AM, Sakurafairy said:

I haven't known a sageuk plotline like this in my almost 18 years of watching korean dramas. However, the twist that the princess hung herself or just ended her life for the love of her hubby so that she couldn't come back to the in-laws household again has been used already in My Love from the Star if anybody of you could still remember.

Yes, there's something very familiar about this. I remember widows being 'encouraged' to commit suicide in Tale of Nokdu because it was considered honourable. Must be a Joseon thing?

Edited by ferily
Please don't quote gifs. Thanks!
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, RobinM said:

I was actually surprised with the “Every night...” line. I know he is rough and crude (or at least pretending to be)so it’s in character but I just didn’t expect that line/ implication  in K drama.  

So crude... But i love it, awww! :crazymad:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3