[Drama 2021] Bossam: Steal the Fate, 보쌈 - 운명을 훔치다

rocher22

Okay I have to ask: what are your theories on Dae Yeob's true identity? Ep 12 had some really good OTP/family moments but I have to say that the scene between the Left Councillor and his sister/aunt was spectacular to see. I could feel the tension and the acting was superb, I was on the edge of my seat lol. 

So we know DY is definitely not the Left Councillor's real son. I'm leaning he could be his aunt's son but his father is a mystery! There are rumblings that he could be the King's son and he doesn't know (which is why DY couldn't marry the princess since they'd be half siblings) but I'm not sure about that. It's too messy in my opinion. 

Also also, I wonder if they'll do a grand reveal~ re: Cha Dol's real mom. Seems like something the Left Councillor would uncover and use against Ba Wu, especially if she's still alive. I'll be surprised if she really just left him for another man and they left it at that. 

• Like 11

I am slightly surprised after all they have been through she has not tried to broach the subject at all. Who wouldn’t be curious about their mans first wife and what happened ?

I don’t know.. I think with all the palace politics and the coming MIL drama and The Princess eventual reveal they have enough plot and no actress is listed in the credits who could be this person. Plus she will just add angst to our couple so The cheating Heifer can just stay gone. 

• Like 6

Kind of mad at BaWu's mother and sister for being judgy towards Su-Gyeong because they think she's a commoner. (Ha, if they only knew.) Weren't they on the verge of death trapped in the house of the man who murdered their father/husband just about 24 hours ago? They don't have better things to think about? The nasty Korean mother-in-law knows no bounds.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, RobinM said:

I am slightly surprised after all they have been through she has not tried to broach the subject at all. Who wouldn’t be curious about their mans first wife and what happened ?

I don’t know.. I think with all the palace politics and the coming MIL drama and The Princess eventual reveal they have enough plot and no actress is listed in the credits who could be this person. Plus she will just add angst to our couple so The cheating Heifer can just stay gone. 

Right? I feel like that's an elephant in the room and since the writing has been good I'm definitely expecting them to at least broach the subject a little more however I'm hoping it won't reach makjang levels of absurdity (love triangle, revenge, etc etc). I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has witnessed shows starting off great and then jumping the shark in the later episodes. 

But watch she really just did cheat on him and went away and that's that. I've over-analyzed things before lol.

43 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Kind of mad at BaWu's mother and sister for being judgy towards Su-Gyeong because they think she's a commoner. (Ha, if they only knew.) Weren't they on the verge of death trapped in the house of the man who murdered their father/husband just about 24 hours ago? They don't have better things to think about? The nasty Korean mother-in-law knows no bounds.

I was disappointed in that too! I was hoping they'd be loving to her to provide a contrast to her previous situation but I guess the judgmental MIL trope needs to be continued...

Edited by mysticmango
  • Like 7

Actually is there any clear mention if Cha Dol is the biological son of Bawoo? I actually caught on to the show after my mom is a few episodes in and she keeps telling me that Cha Dol is not Bawoo's biological son. Not sure if I had missed any important scenes.

I also think that DY might be the aunt's son but there's not clear relation yet aside from her excessive care towards DY.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

I don’t see why he would not be his bio son and why people are coming up with that honestly. The drama has only said 2 things: He met his wife at the water mill and then she ran off with best friend. 

BW Is not a monk or a eunuch and He was doing what young guys do apparently. Unless the women comes back and says different that’s all we got. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, fluffyloaf said:

I also think that DY might be the aunt's son but there's not clear relation yet aside from her excessive care towards DY.

I was honestly rather confused by the exchange between aunt and left councillor in ep 12. she made it sound like if the birth secret is revealed, there would be earthquakes and tsunami for the family. she even managed to scare the bearded man into a gasp. so strange. if dae yeob was her son, it shouldn't be that shocking honestly. they are all family right? so it makes my imagination spin. did the left councilor steal him from someone? who knows what it is... am also wondering if the aunt is widowed? single? what is her story?...

but I don't think dae yeob is royal either @mysticmango because if he was, lots of folks would have known about it. can't exactly keep a secret like that around the palace when bearded men keep outing all sorts of things for political gains and chess moves... 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

I was honestly rather confused by the exchange between aunt and left councillor in ep 12. she made it sound like if the birth secret is revealed, there would be earthquakes and tsunami for the family. she even managed to scare the bearded man into a gasp. so strange. if dae yeob was her son, it shouldn't be that shocking honestly. they are all family right? so it makes my imagination spin. did the left councilor steal him from someone? who knows what it is... am also wondering if the aunt is widowed? single? what is her story?...

That's true and I think DY is probably not royal too because the aunt was threatening his dad that she would let out the truth if LYC did not forgive DY/decides to abandon DY (not sure if the subs were on point in its translation).

I suppose if DY was royal, LYC probably won't abandon him so easily? He would be of value to LYC if he was royal. But then again for LYC to willingly keep him for so many years as his son if he was of little to no value, it would also be quite odd (if we are ruling out that he is his aunt's son which is a secret that is not threatening enough for LYC to give in to his sister's request). Hmmm. Sadly I don't remember if there were any earlier clues that hinted to this birth secret.

I guess what we do know now is that this birth secret is potentially more important to LYC than DY. LYC might be afraid of it getting revealed because of his own sake (it might threaten his life or position) and not DY's sake. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, fluffyloaf said:

I suppose if DY was royal, LYC probably won't abandon him so easily? He would be of value to LYC if he was royal.

100%. if dae yeob was royal, then the logical move for left chancellor would be to depose the king and install dae yeob as the puppet king. he could have done that years ago when dae yeob was a child and that would have been easier to accomplish. ruling on behalf of a young kid is far easier than an adult. also if he was royal, the other factions would have found out and used that to create rebellion at any point for their own purposes...so many possibilities. left chancellor is not trying to protect dae yeob but himself. the question is why... 

• Like 7

Ok, I don't know if this is true or not but the identity of DY as per DC gall discussion is

Spoiler

DY may be Kim je nam's grandson and BW's cousin.  

Kim je nam when searched in history seems had 3 sons but the third died at the age of 16 before marriage.  So, the aunt might be betrothed and had DY by accident before dying.  

But YIC could have abandoned the aunt but he continued to support her and also DY as his son.  Still it's confusing how advantageous this situation is to him? 

Yes there is also a doubt if cha dol is really BW's biological son.  Let's see how it goes in the future episodes. 

• Like 6
  • Wiggle 1

What is the reasoning people are doubting Cha Dol’s paternity? Sorry to go on about this but am genuinely curious because the the drama has given us virtually nothing about the matter.

• Like 6

On 6/8/2021 at 12:06 AM, pad-hari said:

@ingguldainaah,  I dont feel he is depicted as a villain here.  He is shown as a sweet father, and also a good ruler to the people.  But he gets overly irritated/angry when he is being controlled by a bad councillor in the court and another lady when he cannot execute his good plans becoz of them.  They intervene and spoil his plans.  I like that character as of now, no problems. 

Reveal hidden contents

When he thought of killing his princess daughter to overthrow the bad councillor I think he had his own plans to protect her and not exactly kill her.  That was my understanding of him.  I liked how he spoke with his daughter in ep. 11 and that hug.  Awwww.  Beautiful. 

Thank you, pad-hari, and also Lmangla, for your thoughts on how the king is being portrayed in this show. Well, so far so good, then; fingers crossed, it looks hopeful that I will be able to watch the show eventually, and won't find myself too outraged with its portrayal of Gwanghaegun! I tend to feel very protective of him. I'm sure, of course, he was no angel, but he's a historical personage whom I feel was really unjustly victimized, both by the actual actions of his enemies in his own lifetime, and then by the treatment he was given by historians until recent decades. Of course, since he was overthrown, and since centuries'-worth of subsequent historians were writing during the reigns of descendants of the people who overthrew him, it makes sense that they would portray him as a thoroughly bad guy, because they had to worry about how the authorities in their own time felt about their writings. But I'm very glad that modern historical interpretations tend to rehabilitate him. I think, from what I have read, that he was one of the more progressive, fair and forward-thinking of Joseon monarchs, and I think (hope) that a lot of the sufferings Joseon's people went through in the 1620s and 30s might very well have been avoided if Gwanghaegun had succeeded in remaining on the throne. Plus he is SO sweet in "Jingbirok" and "The Proxy Soldiers" that I just cannot help loving him!

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

https://zapzee.net/2021/06/10/k-drama-review-bossam-steal-the-fate-a-neat-gift-set-of-period-drama/
[K-Drama Review] ‘Bossam: Steal the Fate’: A Neat Gift Set of Period Drama

by Na Young Gil | Edited by Seo Hae Lan | Translated by Na Young Gil | images: MBN

Bossam was a custom in the Joseon period, in which a single man wraps up a widow in a blanket at night and makes her his wife. Back in the days, it was a way of getting remarried with a tacit agreement, and it was an opportunity to get a new life for those widows who were forced to live alone after losing their husbands. Born from this peculiar custom, Bossam: Steal the Fate portrays love beyond conflicts between social classes and families, and it’s quietly gaining popularity.

645F23F2-73E3-4062-92B5-A1B9DA41939A.jpg

The show was set in the Joseon Dynasty under Gwanghaegun. The story begins as a rogue and a professional bossam-man, Ba Woo, mistakenly kidnaps the wrong woman. He kidnaps Lee Soo Kyeong, the only daughter of King Gwanghae, Princess Hwa In, and the widowed daughter-in-law of powerful Lee Yi Cheom. But Lee Yi Cheom’s family lies to the world, including the King, announcing that Soo Kyeong’s dead. Plus, instead of making things right, they try to kill Soo Kyeong to make the lie the truth. Soo Kyeong, saved by Ba Woo, starts living with him and his son Cha Dol. Soon, Dae Yeop, Soo Kyeong’s brother-in-law, learns she’s alive and tries to help her return home. However, Soo Kyeong gradually changes her mind and wishes to live a different life after going through many things outside the royal palace and the rich household.

Bossam: Steal the Fate has every element viewers expect in a historical drama such as politics, comedy, action, and romance. Among them, the unclichéd romance between Ba Woo and Soo Kyung, being the show’s backbone, is what keeps viewers glued to the show. The relationship started with a mistake. However, by going through life-threatening situations together, the show depicts how they begin to understand each other more and more, create a new life together, and become significant to each other. The chemistry between Soo Kyung and Dae Yeop is also enjoyable. Many viewers cannot understand Dae Yeop, who will risk his life to protect his sister-in-law. But when the two turn out to be old friends who even considered getting married at one point, we get to understand him so much more and the depth of feeling he has with her.

4A1B4FF9-FC03-41C0-A8C7-6BFE3173AC0A.jpg

Their love stories are all tearful because they are at the center of political conflicts. King Gwanghae only thinks about getting rid of Lee Yi Cheom, who has become powerful enough to make the King feel threatened. Lee Yi Cheom does everything he can to keep his power. In this brutal political war, Soo Kyung is nothing but a pawn for both of them. Ba Woo and Dae Yeop also get dragged into the battle for power, and they have to protect the ones they love in such unpredictable situations.

Plus, it turns out Ba Woo is the grandson of Kim Je Nam, King Gwanghae’s stepmother and Queen In Mok’s father, who was executed for treason. That makes Ba Woo’s family and Soo Kyung and Dae Yeop’s family enemies. Ba Woo and Soo Kyung’s relationship were unlikely to last from the beginning. Moreover, according to history, King Gwanghae will soon get dethroned by Kim Jae Nam’s followers. Many viewers can’t let go of the tension while watching the show since we all know what’s to come next.

The directing is also a big part of the show’s charm. Hit-maker Kwon Seok Jang, who produced many hits on MBC such as Pasta, Golden Time, and Miss Korea, displays his polished directing on his first historical series as well. You can tell every scene is created with great care. Especially, the backgrounds he captures, traveling to many places, look like well-made Korean paintings. The costumes and makeup highlight Korea’s beauty effectively, and the works of art showcase the characteristics of different places very well, making the story more powerful.

The acting, captured along with beautiful backgrounds, shines as well. Jung Il Woo, who starred in numerous period drama, keeps the show stable with his experience under his belt. Shin Hyun Soo shows many different types of acting through action and emotional scenes. Including Shin Dong Mi and Song Sun Mi, who’s worked with the director many times, the middle-aged actors like Kim Tae Woo, Lee Jae Yong, and Lee Joon Hyuk facilitate the show very well.

But the show’s biggest hidden gem is Kwon Yu Ri. She rocks the traditional Korean hair and clothes. Plus, she portrays Soo Kyung, a demure young lady with a fiery passion in her heart, better than we all have expected. In a way, Bossam: Steal the Fate is a story of Soo Kyung setting herself free from all the rules and Confucian virtues and finding her happiness on her own. That’s why it’s important to portray her growth well. With the help of sensitive directing, which brings out an actor’s potential, Kwon Yu Ri is making a strong impression as an actress rather than as a member of the Girls’ Generation.

3BDA06AD-D26F-45E1-8B3A-EC2C81DE4081.jpg

With the 11th episode recently aired, Bossam: Steal the Fate entered its Act 2. Instead of always fleeing as they have done so far, Ba Woo and Soo Kyung will face threats and scheme head-on. While tension is mounting between King Gwanghae and Lee Yi Cheom and implying a coup ahead, will they be able to protect their love? I wonder how far the story will dig into the gaps in between history and protect their love.

Editor Seo Hae Lan: I’m not picky and like all genres. I am in constant search of a balance between criticism and a fan’s heart.
Translator Na Young Gil: ZAPZEE is the best Korean pop culture community, and I’m happy to be part of it.

• Like 9
  • Wiggle 1

I suppose this is Il Woo's temporary YT channel for bossam.  He is super cute.  With eng subs

:fullofhearts:

Cr: as tagged

Waiting for pre released clip for tomorrow's episode and actually I am excited for this week's episodes.  Really hope they show us some adult love between the OTP. 

And I actually wonder what reason they told DY for not marrying him the princess.  All the elders know that both of them are in love and close and also allowed it from a very young age.  I actually feel sorry for him.  His identity also has to be revealed which everyone is curious about. 

BTS

y8XkES6.jpg

DC gall

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

Waiting for pre released clip for tomorrow's episode and actually I am excited for this week's episodes.  Really hope they show us some adult love between the OTP. 

the beginning got released. bawoo is a fighter!!!! waaah, he got shot and still wants to finish the exam. dae yeob seems like a nice human. king looks super mad; he definitely caught the grin of the left chancellor. political storm brewing again?!

17 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

I suppose this is Il Woo's temporary YT channel for bossam.  He is super cute.  With eng subs

it is his own YT channel. he is now posting bossam related stuff it seems. hope he posts more! it is interesting to see the v-log. I think it made a difference for this drama to be pre-produced because they could travel and shoot at actual locations rather than sets. so it gave a very different flavour to the drama for us viewers. @fluffyloaf ~ you should check it out! yuri and il woo have dinner after a day of shooting. :D 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 1

20 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

the beginning got released. bawoo is a fighter!!!! waaah, he got shot and still wants to finish the exam. dae yeob seems like a nice human. king looks super mad; he definitely caught the grin of the left chancellor. political storm brewing again?!

Awww, thank you for the clip.  Everybody is looking mad at the chancellor.  Waah, he is a competing till he collapses.  He will survive as he got hit on the left side of the chest.  

25 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

is his own YT channel. he is now posting bossam related stuff it seems

Oh ok.  I thought he temporarily created one a/c to post the bossom bts filming clips. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

wow, they keep releasing more of the OST; didn't expect that as usually dramas have just a few songs right?.... 

박주한 (Park Joohan) - 거친 세월아 | 보쌈-운명을 훔치다 OST Part.13

• Like 3
  • Blob 1