[Drama 2021] Sell Your Haunted House/ Daebak Real State, 대박부동산

gm4queen

d336e1bde21f4778818084354515550f.jpeg?s=

“Sell Your Haunted House” And “Mouse” Stay Steady In Ratings + “Law School” Sets New Personal Best

May 7, 2021

by C. Hong

The Wednesday-Thursday night dramas saw few changes in their ratings this week.

According to Nielsen Korea, the May 6 episode of KBS’s “Sell Your Haunted House” recorded average nationwide viewership ratings of 4.0 and 5.9 percent. This is similar to last episode‘s ratings of 4.2 and 6.1 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1467811wpp/sell-your-haunted-house-and-mouse-stay-steady-in-ratings-law-school-sets-new-personal-best

• Like 7
  • Love 1

https://zapzee.net/2021/05/07/jung-yong-hwa-in-sell-your-haunted-house-captured-viewers-heart/
Jung Yong Hwa in ‘Sell Your Haunted House’ Captured Viewer’s Heart

by kim yeo un | images: KBS

46AACEAF-BFF5-4726-8752-D1EFC87DBEA9.jpg

Jung Yong Hwa captured the viewer’s heart with his wide range of performances, including comedic, action, and heartfelt acting, making the viewer tear up in KBS’s series Sell Your Haunted House.

Sell Your Haunted House is a story about an exorcist who hunts the evil entities and resolves their tragic problems in haunted real estate. Jung Yong Hwa plays the role of a spirit medium, Oh In Beom. In the series, he shows dramatic growth as a better actor with a wide range of acting skills.

D7079019-314D-4B69-AA18-1DF5DEAFA8D6.jpg

Initially, Oh In Beom does a fake exorcist for a living. Oh helps Hong Ji Ah (Jang Na Ra) as a spirit medium with his unique wit and slickness. He also brings charm to the scene by creating tit-for-tat chemistry with Hong Ji Ah and a delightful bromance with Chief Huh(Kang Hong Seok).

It is also a lot of fun to watch him being possessed by various evil entities in every episode. Depending on the entity’s personality, he cries non-stop or becomes hyperactive. His stable acting skill makes the viewer resonate with him. And it lets us further immerse in the character from the process of him healing his wound from his childhood to him growing as a medium.

Source (1)

Translator Kim yeo un: Welcome K-pop, K-drama, K-movie, K-culture fans. I hope you enjoy our news about K-entertainment.

——

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-drama/article/3131253/k-drama-sell-your-haunted-house-jang-na-ra-shines-pleasing
K-drama Sell Your Haunted House: Jang Na-ra shines in exorcism-themed comedy-drama

• An exorcist and a con man, who turns out to be a psychic, work together to clear buildings haunted by spirits with tragic backstories that must be unravelled
  • Jang Na-ra shines as the cool exorcist with a penchant for fried chicken and shopping in a show full of easy-going charms and familiar episodic stories

By Pierce Conran | 27 Apr, 2021

20900E31-1552-43C8-910A-EAFFA4B959FF.jpg
Jang Na-ra in a still from Sell Your Haunted House. Jang shines in this series that’s full of easy-going charms and familiar episodic stories.

Comedy, drama and the occult collide in Sell Your Haunted House, a new TV series from South Korean channel KBS2 starring Jang Na-ra and Jung Yong-hwa. The premise is simple: an exorcist works as a property agent, clearing buildings haunted by spirits with a grudge so that they may then be sold at market price.

The exorcist is called Hong Ji-a (Jang) and the name of her operation is Great Real Estate – also the Korean name of the show. She runs the business on the first floor of the building with the help of Joo Hwa-jung (Kang Mal-geum), who handles the business side, and she lives upstairs, where she indulges in television shopping – a habit she still gets nagged at about by her mother. Well, not nagged so much as harshly stared at by the ghost of her mother, who died 20 years ago.

Ji-a works at night and dresses in an all-black, quasi-goth get-up, wearing any one of the dozens of impulsively bought pairs of black boots that she owns – she swears they’re all different. She can feel and see spirits and after giving chase, she traps them in a force field with the help of an instrument that would best be described as a supernatural nail gun.

However, for the crucial last step she needs help – someone to be possessed by the ghost. For this she employs young “psychics”, who are paid very handsomely to be possessed, at which point the ghost will fight with the well-trained Ji-a, until she stabs them with a supernatural bineo (a traditional Korean hairpin), thus releasing their spirit from the mortal world.

She recruits these psychics by making them step over a bowl of rice. If the rice glows blue – only shamans can see this – they have the ability to be possessed by spirits. She also subjects them to a second test, of walking up the stairs to her flat. The young men invariably fail, making it only a few steps before losing consciousness, and we learn that Ji-a needs a particularly strong psychic to help her mother pass on to the afterworld.

Meanwhile, we have Oh In-bum (Jung), an arrogant con man who employs trickery to convince homeowners that their abodes are haunted. He then shows up as a university researcher with an experimental device that supposedly rids the surrounding area of paranormal activity.

In-bum, and his sidekick Heo Ji-chul (Kang Hong-suk), pay people to install equipment as part of their “research”. Naturally, these devices are effective and (when the research is over) the panicky residents offer to buy them at outrageous prices.

Ji-a and In-bum meet when they’re both working on the same building and one night, as Ji-a performs her exorcism, In-bum is suddenly possessed when a second, unexpected spirit materialises.

In-bum is a psychic, but it takes some time to convince him of this fact, since psychics have no recollection of being possessed. But In-bum’s ability is stronger than that of most psychics, since he unwittingly absorbs the memories of spirits that pass through him. Ji-a begins to wonder: might he be strong enough to help her mother?

Spoiler

BA4AA4D3-20D2-4AD8-B280-FB6A07790AA2.jpg

Jung Jong-hwa (left) and Jang Na-ra in a still from Sell Your Haunted House.

Similar to the concurrently airing Taxi Driver, Sell Your Haunted House mixes a long-form narrative with an episode structure. It will take some time to successfully exorcise the spirit of Ji-a’s mother, but the question is what event in her past is making it so hard for her to pass on? We quickly learn that In-bum’s past also appears to be connected with Ji-a’s.

Meanwhile, the Great Real Estate business, now with In-bum and Ji-chul on board, works new locations in different episodes, each haunted by spirits with tragic backstories that must be unravelled.

Spoiler

5C6F0C2E-2186-4979-B6A1-C39E3ECDCF04.jpg

Jung Jong-hwa in a still from Sell Your Haunted House.

As horror, Sell Your Haunted House isn’t likely to frighten too many viewers, but the staging of the hauntings and exorcisms are pleasingly atmospheric. The Great Real Estate building is also wonderfully designed; it’s colourful, cosy and rich in character.

The building has a rustic charm that recalls other principal locations in recent K-dramas, such as the noodle house in The Uncanny Counter. It is also nestled in a low-market area, which crucially, and predictably, paves the way for a classic K-drama antagonist, as low-rent gangsters are trying to clear the neighbourhood for redevelopment. The shady magnate behind them is likely to become the show’s major villain.

The episodic stories are familiar and simplistic, as is the overarching narrative, the secrets of which seem haphazardly festooned with a diaphanous veil. Yet the show’s easy-going charms are manifold, not least of which is the dynamite central performance by Jang.

Spoiler

FE3AD157-AE3A-405D-B5DA-1CE99CCF34B2.jpg

Jang Na-ra (right) and Kang Mal-geum in a still from Sell Your Haunted House.

Ji-a is a cool customer with an icy gaze and commanding strut, yet also a relatable character through her shopping addiction and her love of fried chicken. Jang is the life of the show and she makes it easy to ignore some of its shortcomings.

In fact, Jang is so strong in the lead that some of the other supporting characters have trouble standing out. As In-bum, Jung, though more than serviceable, is clearly the weaker of the two leads – but at least that matches the dynamic of the characters.

Sell Your Haunted House is streaming on Viu.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched the last two episodes and Yey the secret is out and I enjoy that it’s out now and not held too late until later episodes — it switches their dynamic and chemistry up because we can see their relationship has progressed significantly.

The elderly lady, her brother, and father’s tragic story made me cried! Ditto to the daughter ghost telling her mom the real reason she died too. I am so glad there is a lot of warmth, storytelling with strong messages embedded in each episodes through the ghost stories. 

I also read the reviews shared and I have to give the writer kudos for developing this well thought out exorcism ritual and rules. It is quite unique and fits so well as a storytelling device for the drama. 

• Like 8
  • Blob 2

I love this drama to pieces! (Thanks to all the people behind this especially the writers, director and actors. They are doing an excellent job.) It’s the only drama I’m watching right now.  I’m a fan of Jang Nara for a couple if years and for that two years, I think I already watched 80% of her work. She is an excellent actress no doubt. This role is different though and i’m really enjoying it. It’s my first time watching Jung Yong Hwa in a drama ( I searched him in YT as soon as I learned that he’ll be the leading man and i’m now enjoying some of his songs too kk)... In episode 7, the relationship of the brother, the elderly sister and the death of their father really affected me because I could really see it happening in real life. I watched it without subtitle and cried and told my husband that day that we should really try and be patient with his parents no matter what ( my in-laws who are in their late 70’s and have several health problems, one with dementia are living with us and taking care of them is sometimes not easy). He is an only child so he doesn’t have a choice but we have two children. I’m hoping that when we get old, the two won’t be fighting who will take care of us. It got me thinking that we should be prepared for the inevitable. 

• Like 7

@Juliet79 agree about growing old and reflecting on ourselves should such a health condition befall us.

@Yinye I had the same thought, glad that the cat was out of the bag and they can clear the air between them now, and focus on solving the mystery of her mother's death for the remaining 8 episodes. I suspect the mother knew that she would have to sacrifice herself to exorcise the egg ghosts, as it was a child she had to save. I am wondering if the same situation would befall our FL at the end, would she have to face another egg ghost and would the possibility of sacrificing herself arise?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I like JNR's recent drama choices. I did have hesitation about SYHH, but HJA is awesome. She should take more strong female roles and dramatic series as her earlier works were mostly comedy but she is shining in the dramatic roles such as the jilted wife in VIP.I'm not familiar with actor JYH, but I thought he did extremely well here. I also like IB's sidekick friend. Was he that guy in Sec Kim?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, dzareth said:

I like JNR's recent drama choices. I did have hesitation about SYHH, but HJA is awesome. She should take more strong female roles and dramatic series as her earlier works were mostly comedy but she is shining in the dramatic roles such as the jilted wife in VIP.I'm not familiar with actor JYH, but I thought he did extremely well here. I also like IB's sidekick friend. Was he that guy in Sec Kim?

Well to be fair to JNR, she was kinda boxed in by many producers, directors and scriptwriters so she does not really have much of a choice of scripts coming here way until her recent years.

She was unfortunately to be trapped in RomCom Eye Candy or girl next door  goodies two shoes roles which she tries to break free off since her return to Korea. (The same happened to Gong HyoJin, which made her decided to go into Movies since most scripts were RomCom which were similar to her previous roles.) 

For JNR, I would say she is a classic example of having to earn her own roles by proving that she could be more than what people expect of her.

For Example it was through Once More Happy Ending that the Team from Go Back Couple saw her and decided to offer the script to her, because they felt she looks young enough and has the skills to take on the role. (Who later joked that the greatest challenge was actually to make her look her age?! LOL) Then from GBC, she was noticed to be offered The Last Empress, and from TLE, the assistant director asked her to take on VIP, and VIP + TLE leads her to SYHH. (Yes SYHH script was received before the filming of Oh My Baby in case anyone wonders).

So you can say in a way all her roles came because somehow she had to convince people that she is capable to do more than a RomCom lady. There is also the fact that her management is small compare to others and that she keeps a very low profile, so meatier roles or big productions hardly goes her way unless someone in the production team offers it to her after somehow seeing her previous performances in other dramas.

And a fact that JNR tends to help out to bail out others in their time of needs. Some of the scripts she has taken on are actually to help former co-workers on other dramas, eg Mr Back, VIP, Old Farewell etc...

It’s interesting learning how far she has come as an actress despite the boundaries others set for her, proving time and again that she can be more than what they think.

Hopefully, with SYHH’s HJA, more different roles will come her way and we can see more of her different abilities, I have always thought that we haven’t seen her best yet, like how HJA brought surprises to us. She is indeed like what she hopes to be, an onion like actress who can keep surprising us with different layers of acting.

JYH did surprised me too and I think he did well against JNR despite not having much acting experience. OIB is definitely a challenging role and I’m looking forward to his performance.

PS: Yes, IB’s sidekick is Kang Hong-seok, the guy from What's Wrong with Secretary Kim and Hotel del Luna.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

It's a pity that she doesn't belong to a big company, but it is true of her personality, who is not too ambitious, peaceful and not flamboyant.  People have seen her mature and different through her recent roles, hoping she will participate in a movie project that makes her explode in acting.:partyblob:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

That was harsh the way Ji Ah lashed out on In Beom. A lil unfair as well 'cause he's in the dark too. Hopefully there's more to the story & that In Beom's actually innocent. Miss Joo though LoL.. What is her deal? 

That mom what she said of her daughter's friend living in a rented apartment was insensitive. And they wonder why their kids misbehave. 

At least they have a home ok? And then telling her daughter will end up like that if she didn't study hard enough tsk. tsk. tsk. 

I noticed most of these spirits die real easy ha-ha usually by banging head against something. But Byeol's fall could've just been a minor fracture not a complete wipe out Idk. I'm no medical major. And the previous with the artist too. A lil stretched on logic. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

That was harsh the way Ji Ah lashed out on In Beom. A lil unfair as well 'cause he's in the dark too. Hopefully there's more to the story & that In Beom's actually innocent. Miss Joo though LoL.. What is her deal? 

That mom what she said of her daughter's friend living in a rented apartment was insensitive. And they wonder why their kids misbehave. 

At least they have a home ok? And then telling her daughter will end up like that if she didn't study hard enough tsk. tsk. tsk. 

I noticed most of these spirits die real easy ha-ha usually by banging head against something. But Byeol's fall could've just been a minor fracture not a complete wipe out Idk. I'm no medical major. And the previous with the artist too. A lil stretched on logic. 

I think in Korean society you buy and own an apartment and you can only rent one apartment, which leads to a disparity between rich and poor, which is quite common in Korean society, which  The author wants to convey in the films about class discrimination in Korea, because there are so many exorcisms, the film's circuit is a bit quick to resolve each case, otherwise there will be no place to act for the main characters as well, so I often have to do it twice after each episode to really understand the problem.

As for the case of the easy death of the child, I find it plausible, when someone with brain damage dies before they know it, because my cousin is practically the same as in this case he falls.  When he climbed the wall and died for no reason 2 days later from a brain injury, although he had no recognizable head injury, he was completely normal before dying unexpectedly.:bawling:

• Sad 3
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I agree that HJA sounded harsh at the end, but to be honest while I think about her character, I felt it was in line with her personality to do so. 

Let’s not forget that HJA is a hot temper direct person who speaks her mind without much filtering. She is only cold and learned to hold back her emotions because of her experiences. Now in the face that OIB is the child she has been searching for, who brought the Egg Ghost to her place and indirectly causing her beloved mother’s death (it was explained in the beginning where ever Egg Ghost appears, there will be deaths occured.)

Then this very OIB is the one who is she is slowly learning to trust and care for, came to her because he wanted to find out about his uncle’s death. This destroys the weak trust she has in OIB and coupled it with the results of her mother’s death... if we look at what HJA knows so far, it was simply as she claimed, OIB brought along Egg Ghost which caused the deaths. She was harsh in stating it but she wasn’t wrong to say so if we follow her thoughts. Within the short moments she has to process what she has learned so far, the double blows of hurt and betrayal caused her to lose control and her cool. We can see how she loses her cool when it is about her mother.

I’m not defending HJA coz we know and she should know better that OIB had no choice or say in the event. He was very much a victim.

At the same time OIB based on his memory also asked what did HJA’s mother did causing his uncle’s death? But as viewers we know the Uncle died of poisoning, which was not what OIB thought. Both leads are missing pieces of the puzzle and making their own conclusions hence leading to their flawed confrontation.

Both of them are so drown in pains that they reacted in defensiveness and harsh remarks and tones. For OIB his question about why his uncle was there was finally answered by HJA, because he wants to save OIB and HJA’s mother died because of the Egg Ghost.

They could have reacted better, especially HJA who knows more about how ghost possession. But I am cutting her some slack in this stage since she is the last to know and most emotionally unstable.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I felt sad for Oh In Beom too..If it were 20 years ago, he was like 6 or 7. What would a kid know???But then again, so far the writers dont disappoint. I'm gonna wait until next episode. I'm sure Hong sajangnim will come around. She is just in shock now that someone she is slowly opening up to suddenly got involved in her mother's death. And now that cards were laid out, they will figure that its better to investigate together.:wub::lol: Now, give me some romantic scenes already.:phew::lol:

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Hmm. I betcha by the end she will realize how vital  and positive her unique skill set is and want to pass the torch to her own child. Her mother did not have skilled and caring medium to assist like She does either.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Caught up with episode 7 and 8 and omg! Episode 7 with the father committing suicide because he didn't want to be a burden to his children but the two of them acting like strangers for 50 years was really sad. I definitely teared up during that episode because it saw so sad!

Also like you guys, the assistant (I forgot her name) that Hong Ji Ah works with is definitely bad news. She hid the 1979 exorcist record and hid the fact that Oh In Beom is Oh Seung Sik's nephew... She definitely KNOWS something but what is she trying to hide about that day?

Finally, augh the secret is indeed out and HJA knows that Oh In Beom was the child the day her mother die. Now the question is, who's side of the story is true? Did In Beom's uncle really kill Hong Ji Ah mother? We know that In Beom was possessed by the egg ghost -- also thought this whole concept and part of the story is SUPER interesting!! All egg ghost people have no face... 

The angst is definitely here though and we'll have to see what will happen with our two leads... PS I need some romance too :D

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

62b5b937b84349039469a705a8dafd9d.jpeg?s=

Jang Nara Shows Her Cold Charisma Even In A Police Investigation In “Sell Your Haunted House”

May 11, 2021

by C. Hong

Jang Nara keeps her cool even in a tricky situation in new stills for KBS’s “Sell Your Haunted House.”

“Sell Your Haunted House” is about a real estate agent and a con artist who team up to exorcise ghosts and evil auras from haunted properties. Jang Nara stars as Hong Ji Ah, a hot-tempered exorcist and the boss of Daebak Real Estate. CNBLUE’s Jung Yong Hwa stars as Oh In Bum, a conman who doesn’t believe in ghosts but pretends to be an exorcist to make a living.

Spoilers

In the previous episode, Hong Ji Ah was able to overcome her past trauma through the exorcism of a revengeful ghost. To uncover the truth behind the case that occurred 20 years ago, she headed to Oh Sung Sik (Kim Dae Gon)’s hometown and learned to her rage that Oh In Bum was Oh Sung Sik’s nephew.

In the new stills, Hong Ji Ah is seen undergoing investigation in a police interrogation room. Despite the unpleasant surroundings, she keeps every inch of her usual cold expression and charismatic aura as she faces off against the detective Kang Han Suk (Kim Sung Bum). However, Kang Han Suk has had his eye on Daebak Real Estate for a while now, as the former detective in charge of Daebak Real Estate’s office manager Joo Hwa Jung (Kang Mal Geum)’s case. Nevertheless, Hong Ji Ah refuses to back down, and the stills promise a showdown between a woman who works as an exorcist and a pragmatic police detective who doesn’t believe in ghosts.

jang-nara-1-sell-your-haunted-house.jpg

sell-your-haunted-house-jang-nara.jpg

Spoiler

jang-nara-sell-your-haunted-house.jpg

This scene was filmed back in April. Jang Nara shared warm smiles with the cast and crew as soon as she appeared on set and made the production staff laugh as she prepared to rehearse the scene. When filming began, however, she immersed herself in her character and Jang Nara and Kim Sung Bum displayed the synergy they had built up together through rehearsals.

This episode of “Sell Your Haunted House” will air on May 12 at 9:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1468490wpp/jang-nara-shows-her-cold-charisma-even-in-a-police-investigation-in-sell-your-haunted-house

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 1