[Drama 2021] Sell Your Haunted House/ Daebak Real State, 대박부동산

gm4queen

@tulip06 I think it's the post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) she experienced as a little child, her brain supposedly tried to protect her by coming up with a false memory. I believe this happens in real life, and it's tied to psychology and trauma.

Here's an excerpt from a scientific paper:

"One of the key symptoms of this disorder is that the traumatic event is reexperienced. Indeed, people with PTSD are often haunted by recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing memories of the traumatic event. This observation has led some authors to view PTSD as a disorder of memory. Spontaneous false memory creation is easily evoked in PTSD, depression, and traumatized people if the stimuli being presented are associative and emotional in nature" (Otgaar, Muris, Howe & Merckelback, 2017)

Finally after all the recent events, she pushed herself to get 'possessed' to break through the false memories.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

OMG! that ending was intense -

And forgive me, but I don't think we're out of the woods yet - I could be very very wrong( I hope I am ), but as Ji-A kept going back in and repeating the memory, and it kept changing, I started to get an overwhelming sense of dread ... what if Ji-A actually did what her mother said, and killed her - Her mother is an unrested spirit to protect Ji-A from recovering the real memory of young Ji-A stabbing her. 

:cry:

Even if she did what her mother did, she wouldn't have known that her mother would die. On the other hand, the mother would have known what she was asking from her daughter.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Sunset said:

Even if she did what her mother did, she wouldn't have known that her mother would die. On the other hand, the mother would have known what she was asking from her daughter.

True - but perhaps thats the trauma.  The set up to the memory, has Ji-A's mother ready to kill the boy (young Oh In-Bum) to stop the evil Egg Ghost, after which she planned to turn herself into authorities. She clearly was willing to make the sacrifice to prevent the Egg Ghost from killing anymore.

Something goes wrong, and her mother ends up possessed by the Egg Ghost. Ji-A disobeys her mothers warning comes down stairs and we get the scene of the now possessed Mom pleading with Ji-A to stab her before Mom loses control to the evil Egg Ghost.  If young Ji-A did stab her own mother, that trauma has caused her repressed altered memories.

That would explain why her Mothers spirit remains - Ji-A's Mother was knowingly sacrificing herself, but lost control and her daughter was scarred horribly having to stab her own mother - The Mother remains now to keep Ji-A from reliving the real memory of that night

• Like 5

0d94bc06871640478f5e1071accdea31.jpeg?s=

“Law School” And “Sell Your Haunted House” Hit New Personal Bests In Ratings Again

May 21, 2021

by C. Hong

“Law School” and “Sell Your Haunted House” are continuing their fierce competition for ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, the May 20 episode of KBS’s “Sell Your Haunted House” recorded average nationwide ratings of 5.1 and 6.9 percent.“Sell Your Haunted House” saw a jump of 0.4 percent compared to its previous personal best of 6.5 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1470332wpp/law-school-and-sell-your-haunted-house-hit-new-personal-bests-in-ratings-again

• Like 8

I just want to say episode 12 was amazing, the portrayal of how JA fought through those fake memories were heartbreaking and JNR delivered it very well.

Although I know some would say that the repetition of the memory is bothersome but let’s consider this. Do we tend to rethink about something over and over again in our mind when we can’t get over something?

That’s the actual scene being shown here. Just that we are now in JA’s mindscape and witnessing her every attempt to break through the fake memories placed on her mind.

The fact SYHH took something so intangible and managed to turn it into tangible and heartbreaking shows how detailed the team is. That’s definitely a scene to remember for me.

• Like 7

Hmm apparently bein' possessed make one non susceptible to any injuries. Maybe there's some truth to it 'cause in my country during the Hindu Thaipusam festival. Devotees are carrying these kavadis and be subjected to piercing & body mutilation. Surprisingly they show no excess bleeding or any harm to their bodies. 

I'm glad In Beom's gran & him made peace and she's reunited with her son at last. 

That Do Hak Sung still greedy & evil. Has he not learned anything?! Surprisingly people like him in real life go on to live longer lives. While the good die young. Where's the justice in this world? 

I'm confused on Ji Ah's mom LoL. So Ms. Joo is an old family friend. I have a feeling the evil spirit possessed Ji Ah's mom and that's why she stabbed herself. Then why is she still lingering ha-ha? 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Hmm apparently bein' possessed make one non susceptible to any injuries. Maybe there's some truth to it 'cause in my country during the Hindu Thaipusam festival. Devotees are carrying these kavadis and be subjected to piercing & body mutilation. Surprisingly they show no excess bleeding or any harm to their bodies. 

I'm glad In Beom's gran & him made peace and she's reunited with her son at last. 

That Do Hak Sung still greedy & evil. Has he not learned anything?! Surprisingly people like him in real life go on to live longer lives. While the good die young. Where's the justice in this world? 

I'm confused on Ji Ah's mom LoL. So Ms. Joo is an old family friend. I have a feeling the evil spirit possessed Ji Ah's mom and that's why she stabbed herself. Then why is she still lingering ha-ha? 

Yeah it's like when a medium is possessed by a ghost, they are more powerful, stronger and don't get injured. We saw that with In Beom...

For Ji Ah's mom, the ghost was the egg ghost that possessed her I think and an egg ghost exorcism isn't like a normal one, which is why she stabbed herself. She knew that doing an exorcism on a egg ghost could take her life but she did it anyways... That's at least what I got from watching Episode 12... Maybe she's lingering because, someone mentioned this beforee, but because she doesn't want to leave Ji Ah until she stops blaming herself? That's why she's hanging around Ji Ah because of the guilt she feels for leaving Ji Ah so that made her into a evil spirit? I'm not too sure but we'll probably out more about it in the next few episodes..

• Like 3

Jang Na-ra gets into the spirit of things

In South Korean drama Sell Your Haunted House, actress Jang Na-ra stars as Hong Ji-ah, a realtor who has the ability to exorcise spirits from haunted properties.

Pop-rock band CNBlue frontman Jung Yong-hwa plays Oh In-bum, a con artist who pretends to chase away spirits to swindle money.

As they work together to clear paranormally-infested properties, Hong discovers that Oh, who is also a powerful medium, may be the key to unravelling the secret behind her mother's death.

Here are five things to know about the two artistes.

1. POLAR OPPOSITES

Jang (The Last Empress, 2018) plays a hot-tempered exorcist and realtor whose fists speak faster than her mouth, but she says she does not share much in common with her character.

In an e-mail interview with The Straits Times, the 40-year-old actress says: "I am not the kind who doesn't have many fears and is cool with letting things go easily."

2. DRAWN TO THE SHOW

Both the leads were instantly drawn to their roles.

"Hong Ji-ah is a character of a different vibe compared with my past roles," says Jang. "I decided to take up the role without any hesitation."

The stories in the series are also tales people can easily relate to, she adds.

Similarly, Jung, 31, who has appeared in shows like Heartstrings (2011), set his eyes on the role as it was one he had never tried before.

Sell Your Haunted House is the first drama he is appearing in since his last series, The Package (2017).

3. MUTUAL ADMIRATION

This is the first show Jang and Jung have worked on together and they have only good things to say about each other.

Jang praises Jung for being not only quick-witted, but also passionate about his work. She was pleasantly surprised by how well he had memorised his script. "It was interesting seeing him become one with his character," she says.

Jung thinks Jang is innovative when it comes to acting. "As we rehearsed together, she would come up with new ideas and express them through her character. I thought that side of her was amazing."

4. UNEXPECTED TRIALS

Jang confesses that one of the challenges she faced during filming was the act of rolling her eyes as she was not used to it. Another challenge was adapting to filming at night.

"Since the nature of the genre required us to film a lot at night, it took a toll on me as my body clock got turned upside down," she says.

Jung says he found it challenging and fun to play a medium stuck with memories of resentful souls.

5. JUNG'S DEBUT CHINESE EP

On his upcoming Chinese EP titled Stay In Touch, Jung says it took him a long time to record the songs as he had a hard time pronouncing the words in Mandarin.

"Despite that, I will probably keep improving as I keep on doing it," he says.

He is curious to see how his fans react when the four-track album is released on his 31st birthday on June 22.

https://www.straitstimes.com/life/jang-na-ra-gets-into-the-spirit-of-things

• Like 6
  • Love 1

The latest two episode were good! Finally answers and I see the growing connections. I cried re the grandma and IB’s scenes and it is good to learn more about the egg ghost (the drama explained but I was still confused!). I think the auntie and mom ghost all this time were covering the truth that Ji Ah 

Spoiler

Killed her mom. Like many have said, the PTSD caused her to incorrectly remember and Mom lingers to protect her from this truth or until her Ji Ah is healed etc. 

i enjoyed the scene when Ji Ah confronted her mother it was so well done. 

• Like 3

I like how the drama portrayed Ji Ah trying to find out her true memory of that night and the way she knew that either a) her mom created these fake memories to protect her or b) Ji Ah is just being shown fake memories again. I always thought that Ji Ah's mom didn't remain because she had a grudge against Ji Ah. I knew it was because she either wanted to protect her from something or stay by her side.

23 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

True - but perhaps thats the trauma.  The set up to the memory, has Ji-A's mother ready to kill the boy (young Oh In-Bum) to stop the evil Egg Ghost, after which she planned to turn herself into authorities. She clearly was willing to make the sacrifice to prevent the Egg Ghost from killing anymore.

Something goes wrong, and her mother ends up possessed by the Egg Ghost. Ji-A disobeys her mothers warning comes down stairs and we get the scene of the now possessed Mom pleading with Ji-A to stab her before Mom loses control to the evil Egg Ghost.  If young Ji-A did stab her own mother, that trauma has caused her repressed altered memories.

That would explain why her Mothers spirit remains - Ji-A's Mother was knowingly sacrificing herself, but lost control and her daughter was scarred horribly having to stab her own mother - The Mother remains now to keep Ji-A from reliving the real memory of that night

This makes sense 100 percent. I was thinking that at first, did In Beom do something that night and kill Ji Ah's mother? (And in the preview for episode 13 they seem to hint that) But this explanation makes the most sense. Something went wrong, maybe Oh Seong Sik intervening with Ji Ah's mom trying to sacrifice In Beom, which her mom ends up being possessed by the Egg Ghost. The memory of Ji Ah's mom telling Ji Ah to stab her, I feel like this is the truth but rather than Mom trying to stab herself, Ji Ah ends up stabbing her mom and that's how she dies..

Definitely tragic because Ji Ah was the one who ended up killing her mother, but like someone said, she had no idea that it would kill her mother. It's because it was the Egg Ghost that Ji Ah's mother died.

Really curious where the drama will go from here and I wonder if Ji Ah will blame In Beom for her mother's death... Also side note, I'm all for these romantic moments between Ji Ah and In Beom! The scene where Ji Ah was comforting Im Beom when his grandma died and when Ji Ah caught In Beom when his uncle was sent away. :fullofhearts:

• Like 4

What I don’t want but I suspect will happen is the noble idiocy trope of IB feeling guilty of bringing the egg ghost into JA’s life and thinking he is the cause of her losing her mom. No doubt he probably feels terrible about it but in reality, JA is feeling guilty for doing what she had to do and unknowingly etc. I hope that they can deal with these conflicts in a mature way that doesn’t rely on troupes. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

4 minutes ago, ferily said:

Really curious where the drama will go from here and I wonder if Ji Ah will blame In Beom for her mother's death... Also side note, I'm all for these romantic moments between Ji Ah and In Beom! The scene where Ji Ah was comforting Im Beom when his grandma died and when Ji Ah caught In Beom when his uncle was sent away. 

I think the next episodes will have misunderstandings between them but I don't think they stay apart for long.

The one ultimately to blame is the construction CEO Do Hak-Sung - He coerced In-Bum's uncle into committing arson, in which he unknowingly killed many - The spirits of those that died became the egg ghost, and possessed young In-Bum as he was close to his uncle, that the spirits blame for their death (this explains the scene where Ji-A's Mom is strangling In-Bum's uncle after she was possessed by the egg ghost)

I think this is what they will piece together. Ji-A will come to terms with what happened that night, and with In-Bum's help Ji-A will get to talk with her mother one last time before she passes

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 1