[Drama 2021] Miss Monte Cristo, 미스 몬테크리스토

maribella

33 minutes ago, maribella said:

@Lmangla I think SH said he was going to move to a care something. I believe the two of them will live quietly together. A judge will find her unfit to stand trial.

so will hoon get abandoned forever? :sweatingbullets: sun hyuk said hoon was the only meaningful thing to come out of his twisted relationship with hara. he has also consistently said that as long as he has hoon, it does not matter. he has been an annoying mopey lead but has been shown as a father who will put his child first. so yea, eun joo will move to care is translation for jail. the prosecutor didn't seem to feel sorry for her that she was sick. the writer has shown with both mr wang and deok gyu that you have to pay for your actions even if you think you are justified. so eun joo cannot get a free pass as she orchestrated everything. her hands are not clean. she just doesn't have to face it mentally as she is not really there...  sun hyuk ends with "thank you for letting me love you again" and ha joon also does a similar spiel. both men were saying goodbye. hajun looked alarmed at hearing the siren while sun hyuk looked super sad. if it is a care facility, why would they react that way? so yea, jail time or care facility for criminals it is. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 3

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

were saying goodbye. hajun looked alarmed at hearing the siren while sun hyuk looked super sad. if it is a care facility, why would they react that way? so yea, jail time or care facility for criminals it is. 

Jail hospital? I don't know Korean laws

But the US law (California) won't prosecute if someone is mentally deficient, as long as it's certified by a qualified doctor. 

I think they are keeping us guessing if she will or wont be charged.

I must watch the last bit. Uni oppa always has the Snoopy eye look so I couldn't tell if he was sad, but not happy.

edit: I watched the last bit. SH did say he was going to move to a care home with her but that was before the last reading and HJ was watching them, now the siren changed all that.

I don't think EJ is getting a free pass, she already tried to kill herself and spent a year in coma.

She won't recover the 5 years of memory without causing more harm. HR was let off rather easily. She had been bullying SR since highschool and used SR's weakness to goad her into murder. She died quickly and even hangout on earth in a stylish white dress. She's now moving on after waking up her chingu. She had talked about loving SH in another life, so death is temporary. :unamused:
She should be in prison with her mother and father.

• LOL 2
  • Wiggle 3
  • Blob 2

23 minutes ago, maribella said:

I think they are keeping us guessing if she will or wont be charged.

yea I agree; it feels like the writer kept it a bit vague so that those who prefer a more conventional happy ending will just assume that she and sun hyuk lived out in a care facility. however, given the rather downbeat/dark mood the last two weeks, it seems more in line that she will face prosecution. as eun joo said, no one does revenge to be happy. in other dramas, they have shown characters lose it but still be prosecuted in some form. man in the veil is an example. after all they were sane when they committed the crime. just went off a bit after. however, I could be wrong. an open ending itself indicates a happy ending was not really possible. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 4

I'm really glad that this drama portrays the fact that you still need to be punished if you commited crimes even if you're morally correct.

Not many revenge dramas did that, so that's a start.

I wouldn't say impressive, but this drama is way better compared to others within these years. 

Hopefully, the future daily revenge dramas can meet up to these standards.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

So, after slogging it out for 50 long hours the show is finally done. What are all your thoughts regarding it. Was it well worth it, or did you feel that you wasted your time, perhaps you liked the show overall but the ending totally irked you? Let me know about your thoughts regarding it.

As for me I felt that the show was okay it could have certainly been better especially considering the source that they were basing it on but sadly it just couldn’t live up to that name. As for the ending I have my issues. Yes, it would totally be fair to say that it partially irks me and I will be getting into that in a bit. If I forget something along the way please forgive me.

But before I get into the ending itself let me highlight a few points of the episode and try and break them down in a bit. So here goes.

Spoiler

Villains Finally Face Justice of Sorts [Awesome]

The Evil Parents are finally behind bars where they deserve

Evil Mom can’t accept the death of Giraffe

Giraffe is dead for good

Serin has finally lost her marbles

Disco Oppa is running around trying to salvage the family name and run his own company.

Universal Oppa may not be the best protector in town

Miss Monte Cristo is dead but Eun Joo Survives

True Love Truimps

Evil Parents finally realize that they are perfect

Serin Likes a ghost aka Mr. Na

Top knot Mom with a dopelganger of Papa Ju

Eun Gyul and Bomi.

Disco Oppa has finally opened up to the concept of Love something that he was against at the starting of the show. So, some progress has been made over here.

Universal Oppa and Eun Joo. (All hail the shippers especially Bomi who was that till the very end)

Regardless of all this I am still not so happy how the writer decided to end the final arc which I will be further elaborating in a bit.

Okay let’s get back to the breakdown of the above points starting with whether or not the Villains got the justice that they deserved or if it was lacking in anyway such as they were forgiven or redeemed that doesn’t make a lot of sense etc… I guess we can add the part of True Love Triumphing in this as well. Let’s see.

Both of Disco Oppa’s parents are serving time for the crimes that they committed so that is certainly something of a plus point. None of their power or influence allows them to walk away Scot free for what they did. As for redemption that is more of a personal opinon. For instance, it seems that the dad finally realized that his family was so messed up and some of them turned out to be monsters because of his actions/inactions towards them etc… So, I guess that is some kind of progress in the right direction atleast for him.

As for Evil Mom not sure where I stand on her. Sure, she is behind bars for all the crimes that she committed as well but at the same time the shock of her daughter’s death doesn’t allow her to accept this fact that her mind tries to justify it in her own way. Such as her daughter must be too busy to come and see her or that she is busy especially now that she has won an award and all. I get that shock may very well be true especially when you consider the fact that she only seemed to live for her daughter and make sure that she was happy and all. So, in a way this does make sense but frankly I would prefer that she either remained the same as she was from the start. After all we have seen quite a few remorseless villains to the bitter end. In this case whenever Disco Oppa would show up she could perhaps be shown sneering at him and telling him things that he may think that he is happy and has won but the moment she is released she will teach him a lesson/get even with him for the insult that she is facing etc… On the other hand, if she had actually turned remorseful for all her actions, she could have been shown to be nicer towards Disco Oppa. She could for instance be shown to genuinely apologize to him for all the pain that she has not only caused him but also for her role in the death of his mother. She should have also thanked him for sparing her life. It would certainly go a long way in perhaps mending the bridge between the two of them.

Though as I pointed out Dad finally realized his mistake and all so by the time those two finish serving their time together one of them will certainly be waiting for the other and perhaps live as happily as they can at this point. but that may simply be wishful thinking on my part.

Dad has also realized that Disco Oppa may be too busy trying to fix the family mess that he doesn’t have time to run his own company so he told him that he should stop coming to meet them. Again, some growth on his part. Fortunately, Disco Oppa has been constant towards the character that he was from the start. Thus, he simply tells his father that he is going to continue to do things his way and that means that he will remain a filial son to the very end. Not so sure what I think about Disco Oppa trying to run his own company is he actually ready to do so that to without the help and support of Universal Oppa and Miss Monte Cristo. He seems to be running around searching for investors though his biggest one still seems to be his grandmother as usual. Fortunately, by the end of the show it seems that his game finally went through the beta testing process so that is some kind of progress. I do wonder if the game is based on Miss Monte Cristo in someway by the poster of the female knight and all. If it was an actual game, I wouldn’t mind testing it out. The fun thing about the final scene is that he even managed to get his working secretary to get into a gaming mood as well. Finally, about time. Regardless we should wish him a life full of success and may he also find true love along the way especially as he is now finally open to the concept and all.

Giraffe is dead for real it seems. After all the murder attempts and whatnot that she did I guess it is only fair. She can now never come in between the original pair of Eun Joo and Universal Oppa (hopefully). The only question that we need to be asking is where has she ended up. Did Miss Monte Cristo succeed in sending her to the fiery pit as she wanted. Or did Giraffe find her way to The Pearly White Gates. She did seem to be remorseful of her actions by the time she died and said as much in spirit form to the sleeping Eun Joo etc… It also seemed to me atleast that Miss Monte Cristo seemed to realize that Giraffe didn’t have much of a choice when she let her drop to her apparent death. Now don’t take me wrong I am fully aware that Giraffe deliberately released her hand so that Eun Joo would have fallen to her death but as Eun Joo experienced herself when she tried to save her there was only so much that she could do to hold onto her and save her life. She didn’t have the strength to hold on and save her life and the same was true back then. Serin was in shock and the only one trying to hold onto her was Giraffe and if that had continued, she would have still fallen because Giraffe wouldn’t have been able to hold onto her alone. Sure, she dropped her earlier and on purpose but the end result would have probably been the same unless she could have perhaps snapped Serin out of her shock. But that can easily be debatable at some other point.

Serin has lost her marbles after everything that she went through Miss Monte Cristo’s hands. She finally realized that she was no match for her skill, her father’s death as well as Mr. Na going missing as well. Atleast she has finally moved on from Disco Oppa and Mr. Na’s sincerity finally got through to her albeit a bit too late. Sadly, those two lovers can never be together in this lifetime. Perhaps if one wants to think romantically then one can perhaps consider that since Serin isn’t sane anymore she can see dead people thus she is with Mr. Na’s spirit so she has somewhat of a happy ending. If the writer ever wants to go for a season 2 of this show (hopefully not) then we could always have Serin escape the loony bin that she is in and go out for a spree of revenge against Miss Monte Cristo and all. As some have noticed she isn’t even locked up anymore because the staff probably considers her harmless at this point. Or as someone jokingly mentioned that perhaps now that she isn’t constrained with an inferiority complex or jealousy etc.. and her mind isn’t totally there she may actually become a successful designer of sorts. Thus slipping in and out for quick reward ceremonies should actually be a blast.

Eun Gyul has finally become famous thanks to going viral in his martial art videos to the extent that he has gotten a fan base and all. But his day was probably made when Bomi proclaimed to everyone that she is his girlfriend and all. Again, hopefully that was true love speaking after all some people do need happiness in their life and all. But then again it could simply be that Bomi has gotten so used to her role in trying to protect him from getting hurt and all. Thus, she knew that him being with one of those fangirls would head in that direction so she said that. Or she was actually jealous of the attention that he was getting from random girls that she decided to mark her territory and admit that she had gotten some feelings towards him. They probably started when he snapped a poor kid’s airplane and supposedly saved her from getting hurt. Will leave the actual outcome to you to decide (whether this is true love between them or she is merely protecting him as usual).

Right, it totally slipped my mind so will add this as well. Giraffe finally won an award for her acting in her last film Detective X (the one that Miss Monte Cristo wrote). Who knew that Miss Monte Cristo was so talented and all? Though the public is making an outcry that the reward should be rescinded considering the crimes that she committed when she was alive. So, it remains to be seen if the family can hold onto that award till the end. What are your thoughts regarding this? Should the family keep the award if it is given or are the public correct and the award shouldn’t be given/taken away depending on what has happened. Do we judge a person on their skill or their behaviour etc.. for instance, take the couple from Descendants Of The Sun. People loved the chemistry between the main leads that they even constructed a statue in honour of them (characters) it may have further helped that they ended up in real life as well. Sadly, the marriage didn’t last and now there are people who want the statues taken down as well. But what is the fault of the statues over here they were based on the characters not the actual people. Hopefully one gets the point. perhaps we can have a poll regarding this @Lmangla.

I probably got everyone for the True Love Triumphs by the end apart from Top Knot Mom. Guess her life isn’t going to be so lonely when a doppelganger of Papa Ju ends up at her restaurant. Hopefully this means that she is also going to get her happily ever after it seems. Though considering what she just went with Eun Joo she better make sure that she is correct over here. Heck if this was an Indian Soap Opera then we can be sure that they would have tried to go with a reincarnation line at this point and all. Whatever this doesn’t really matter to me all that much whether she gets her happy ending or not.

By now you all must have noticed that I haven’t even gotten down to the main ending or the fact that Universal Oppa and Eun Joo are finally back together. There was a very good reason for that. It is simply because the ending irks me to no end or atleast the way it was handled. No, it has nothing to do with the fact that I wasn’t shipping for these two to end up together. I wasn’t in any shipping camp so who she ended up with wouldn’t have mattered all that much to me I suppose. But they really needed to make it believable which they failed to do so over here.

It was like the writer wanted to give her a happy ending but wasn’t sure of how to go about it especially considering the fact that she had gone all dark along the way and was even responsible for taking a life and all. So how could she come out of it. Killing her again wouldn’t work so she though ah I know let’s give her amnesia due to her shock and that will work. Sadly, it doesn’t. I feel that this part does grave injustice to the character of both Eun Joo and Miss Monte Cristo at the same time. Sure, shippers like Bomi loved it and picked up the chance to continue to ship her with Universal Oppa. The two mothers after all went along with it since they got to go along with their life long dream. To this day both mothers sort of secretly still considered the kids to be their only In-Laws and this allowed them to still happen. Same with Eun Gyul he still gets to have Universal Oppa as his BiL as his dream and all.

So why am I against this particular ending is simple. Look Eun Joo as Miss Monte Cristo went through certain things and sacrifices were made in the name of revenge but all of that is conveniently forgotten and I am not okay with that. First of all there was New Mom a bond was formed between two hurt women on common ground and all. They looked after each other when they were having a hard time and all but that has all gone away. Perhaps New Mom also paid Eun Joo a visit when she was sleeping (and we weren’t shown) and asked that she forget all that she suffered and remain happy and all. So, we may give Eun Joo a slight pass in regards to this. New Mom did after all want Miss Monte Cristo to return to her actual Eun Joo identity and give up on her revenge plans and all.

But what about the others that went along with her. We had Fake Doctor who played along with her plans to take down Papa Ju and was responsible for getting him addicted to fake drugs which ended up killing him. At the end of it all he decided to turn himself in for his actions even though Miss Monte Cristo tried to prevent him from doing so and tried to further justify their actions as justice or the fact that he died on his own accord and that they didn’t actually poison him etc… He refused to accept this and take accountability. Universal Oppa correctly pointed out to Miss Monte Cristo at this point that she destroyed a man with a potential bright future. A man that can never become a doctor again. Perhaps unless he uses one of those doctors without borders program but other than that his life is down the drain thanks to his revenge and all. Not only this but Miss Monte Cristo promised him that he wouldn’t be behind bars for a long time because she will do her best to get him out. To this extent he even handed over her father’s ring and made her promise that once he was released, she should return it to him. But guess what she had no intention of honoring her promise it seems. Before falling into a comma, she finally thought that her revenge was done so she decided to jump after Giraffe and follow her down. Unfortunately for her she survived. But now that she is back and has conveniently gotten amnesia she still can’t save/help out fake doctor. That means he is going to continue to wait behind bars hoping that someone will get him out and honour their promise which isn’t going to happen.

Hopefully he isn’t going to think that she has abandoned him now that she has no more use for him and he will want revenge on her once he is released. But I guess we will never find out now will we.

But he wasn’t the only one that is behind bars thanks to her revenge and all. Let’s not forget the ever-loyal Mr. Wang who turned out to be responsible for driving the Truck Of Doom that hit and killed Mr. Na. By the end of it all he also turned himself in. Though to be fair in regards to this she isn’t aware of this fact since he lied to her that since his role was done, he is returning to Singapore and open up a restaurant like his mothers and all. Instead, he secretly turns himself in for his actions. But that still doesn’t change the fact that he probably wouldn’t have killed Mr. Na if he hadn’t gotten involved in her revenge. So, she is partially responsible for his fate. But she has conveniently also forgotten about him as well thanks to her accident.

People over there may think that it is a blessing that she can’t remember everything that she suffered for the past six years as the shock would be terrible for her and what not considering that she is back to her original self and all and this is therefore better. But I disagree. She should have lived knowing all that she did and if she wanted to make amends, she should find a way. Fortunately, for her she took care of New Mom’s company before the end so that company didn’t have to suffer for a year as well.

On a side note, who do you all think is running Jewang Group these days. Probably not Universal Oppa since his was busy nursing Eun Joo back to health.

Oh, and while we are on the topic of Eun Joo losing her memory and all can we all agree that Universal Oppa may very well still be a terrible protector and all. I mean when she was in a coma prosecutors let Universal Oppa know that they wanted to speak to her when she recovered. I guess for her actions as Miss Monte Cristo (perhaps also her role in harming certain people along the way.) I wonder who gave her away. But now that she had lost her memory Universal Oppa thought that it was a better idea to simply sneak her away so that she could recover and also not ask questions like where her father was or why her friends (Serin and Giraffe) weren’t coming to pay her a visit. I mean just how long are you planning on concealing the truth from her. The doctor conveniently mentions that the shock is too great for her and that is why she has forgotten those memories and trying to recall/recover them would be bad for her health. Okay let’s say that I go along with this nonsense for the time being I still say one that it isn’t all that practical for a reason and as for the other. What Universal Oppa should have actually done is gotten a doctor’s statement showing her current status and that it would be a bad idea to push her forward in trying to remember what she did thus the prosecution should hold back in questioning her for the time being. Because that is exactly what they will try and do which according to the doctor is bad for Eun Joo’s current mental health and all. Who is going to take responsibility if her health goes bad at this point? the only reason that I bring this up is because by the end of the show we can hear sirens heading towards them and I can only surmise that it is the prosecution coming to take her in because they think that she has fled or is trying to flee. So, whatever.

The other reason why I feel that her loosing her memory for the past years is absurd is because the writer conveniently forgot an important fact in trying to give these two their happy ending and all. This is namely Hoon. First of all, let’s celebrate that nothing bad happened to the kid and he managed to survive to the very end. Okay now that we have done that let’s move onto the fact that Universal Oppa has a kid and that too with Giraffe. Certainly, even if he doesn’t reveal the last bit to Eun Joo he still has to explain the fact that Hoon is a kid. He can’t say that it is a kid that they shared since Eun Joo might just question as to how that was possible if she was in a comma for all these years and all. Also why did he move on if he knew that he she was still alive and all and if he did why take care of her etc… Also, lest we forget Hoon has memories of her as well just how long until he slips and talks about them and calls her Star’s Mom even if he is warned not to do so. Yep, I certainly don’t see this working out.

I guess they could constantly pack the kid to some training academy or the other so those two never meet till much later on but that isn’t realistic now is it and even if they do, I can simply see him become Disco Oppa Ver 2.0 not sure where I stand on that.

Therefore, I would have felt better if she hadn’t lost her memory since like I pointed out it seems to do a few people some injustice and it just isn’t all that practical. The families really can’t hide the entire truth from her forever. So even if she did forget it should have been their role to be completely honest with her but hey that isn’t going to work and all. Oh well.

On a side note, did anyone note that Eun Joo’s memory loss was the exact same as Universal Oppa’s when he went into shock after discovering what Giraffe and Serin went through to get rid of Eun Joo back in the day. Both of them only remembered before they left for the bachelorette party for Eun Joo. Oh, wait I just realized that this would mean that she should still atleast remember that she was pregnant back then. So, she just might question what happened to her child and they may try and pass of Hoon as her kid. LoL I guess that might explain a few things. How dumb of me.

Also did anyone else also notice that people around Miss Monte Cristo at some point have either murdered someone or atleast tried too. Lets look at them.

Evil Mom killed her best friend aka Disco Oppa’s mother and was kind of responsible for New Mom’s death

Dad ordered Mr. Na to take care of New Mom so these two are more by proxy. Though to be fair they had the little interaction with Miss Monte Cristo.

Serin and Giraffe attempted to kill her a few times, her unborn child and father (though I guess these last two might not be considered since this was before her transformation)

Universal Opp tried to kill Giraffe and would have probably suceded if it wasn’t for his kid calling at that point and his wife convincing him to let her go for his sake etc..

Disco Oppa tried to kill Evil Mom once he discovered that she was responsible for his mothers death.

Fake Doctor Killed Papa Ju

Mr. Wang Killed Mr. Na

Mr. Na tried to kill Miss Monte Cristo and New Mom etc...

The only people that didn’t do anything like that had to be the two mothers and Bomi. I guess the mothers get an excuse since Eun Joo tried to limit her time with them or something. Bomi would have done something to Serin and Giraffe if she wasn’t persuaded to do so in time as for Eun Gyul he wouldn’t have known what to do so he probably gets a pass and all.

Okay before I end my post, I feel that I should bring up the topic that some of you have brought up in regards to whether or not Miss Monte Cristo is a murderer/monster or as some have pointed out she was out for justice because she knew that the inept K-Drama Law would fail to do it for her.

So, for that I would first of all like to point out that a crime is always going to be a crime no matter how much you want to sugarcoat it. Like a fictious character Odo once said laws may change but Justice will always be Justice. I feel the same applies here. Look we have all these laws, rules and regulations for a reason. If everyone starts to take matters into their own hands then their will only be chaos and we will have to face a never-ending cycle of violence in the name of justice and whatnot. For instance, what will stop Serin to want to take revenge on Eun Joo for the death of her father or tricking her etc.….

This is the reason why we have courts who will decide what punishment each part should receive and fairly as well. Now I totally get that the law can be bought even in real life or the system is inept like in these dramas but that is something else. For instance, if everything was fair in this drama and the law was actually good at their job, they would feel that Eun Joo’s actions towards Serin’s father may have been a bit to harsh. Yes, the man committed a crime against her family and tried to even abuse his power towards her mother and all but that was all. He didn’t actually go out killing people or was even responsible for her father’s death. Even his daughters action shocked him. None of those warrants his death. For his crimes against her family, he was kicked out with nothing to his name and that was sufficient in terms of justice. Even if the court would have been involved, they would have gone through a similar route and would have told him to return what he took from said family and all if his actions were proven and all. They might have allowed him to keep some money but I guess Eun Joo’s way was better but that is debatable.

Now in regards to his death Eun Joo killed him out of spite. She was like you killed my father so now I am going to do the same to your dad. No form of law would have been okay with that. Like some have pointed out he wasn’t responsible for her father’s death and all. Sure, we have Fake Doctors dad but that is another matter altogether.

I guess as @LeftCoastOppa pointed out that at the end of the day it comes down to intent. Did he intend for any of the merchants that he kicked out to commit suicide probably not? After all, look at the other merchants none of them committed suicide though they wanted revenge on him for his actions and for not keeping to Eun Joo’s dads promise of letting them run the place and whatnot. It is not like everyone is triggered by the same thing to commit suicide. Perhaps he should have been slightly aware that people might do so if they haven’t got anything to live for or are dead broke etc… but again what was he going to do. I would add something else but I feel that I shouldn’t head in that direction for the time being.

So now back to the point of Eun Joo and her actions towards Papa Ju. She clearly had intent to kill him since that was clearly part of her revenge for Serin to suffer the same fate that she went through. She has said ample times that those two need to suffer the same pain that she did and more since they needed to beg for death to come to them but she would only be done with them once her revenge was done. Thus, her killing of Papa Ju makes total sense even if it isn’t fair on the guy himself.

If one truly wants to defend her, they might say that she indeed had a change of heart at the last moment since she told Serin that while she didn’t save her dad, she would be different and let him have the pill to save his life. At this point the Fake Doctor that wanted his own revenge wasn’t okay with it so he only handed over empty bottles to Serin which resulted in Papa Ju’s death. Now Eun Joo couldn’t simply switch her stance otherwise she would look weak and soft and her enemies could take advantage of this. So, she continues as if this was all part of her plan. But that bit can be left for debate for another day for the time being.

But otherwise, it certainly seems like she murdered the guy but tries to cover up her actions by claiming that she did it in the name of justice/revenge. Sorry but that simply doesn’t cut it.

Oh well that will be all from my end for the time being. Will check out the posts that you all have written and perhaps try a question and answer session at some point. till then all of you take care and see you all in some other thread. Which ones will you all be heading to? May pick one of them if I have the time.

Thankyou @LeftCoastOppa for your contributions, @Lmangla for your amusing polls, @Ameera Ali for your hilarious GIFS, @maribella , @Plum blossom, @joccu, @MisutheWitch, @youngae, @dolorisbrady, @backstreetboysfan,
@fragglerock, @dekains, @youactlikeicare, @fanofr, @tofumochu, @Ayame, @dzareth,
@tiuserviu viu, @perfectmouse, @UnniSarah, @Yazusa, @msmy, @admonike

Hopefully i havent missed out on anyone else. but it was awesome to read your posts and contributions over here till next time

• Like 1
  • Love 7
  • Awesome 4
  • Insightful 1

@yamiyugi - Great Post

Just a few things ...

On Papa Ju and Fake Doc's Dad ...

25 minutes ago, yamiyugi said:

Did he intend for any of the merchants that he kicked out to commit suicide probably not?

It turns out Fake Doc's Dad did not commit suicide - He fell ill and died in a care home a few months before Eun-Jo returned to Korea as Miss M - Which, on the subject of intent, and resulting just action, makes the killing of Papa Ju even more untenable.

On Uni Oppa and Eun-Jo ...

I was shipping these two all drama long, but I didn't like the ending either.  For all the reasons you mentioned, it is next to impossible to believe Eun-Jo will be allowed to remain in amnesia-tic bliss.  It would've been better served if she remembered it all, and got some peace from remembering her dream of Ha-Ra. Video would certainly exist of her trying to save Ha-Ra in the last moment, and that action would've been a wonderful fix for having Hoon in their lives without worry of Ha-Ra's history ... Hoon would always believe that Star's Ahjumma tried to save his Mom and she fell too.  Still Eun-Jo would've had to pay some price to the justice system - All those she sent away, would've certainly mentioned her prominently in whatever defense they tried to muster.  

36 minutes ago, yamiyugi said:

Like a fictious character Odo once said ...

A DS9 character quote in a daily kdrama thread ... Thats Just Awesome :glasses:

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

@yamiyugi ~ I wouldn't say it was a great ending but rather a weird one. see, we spent a good chunk of time with mopey sun hyuk, eun joo and a triangle that went nowhere. I was literally falling asleep and started playing games on my phone while watching. I skipped episodes and just watched previews when I was really bored.

then all of a sudden, with new mom getting dementia, there was a sudden sharp turn. it was like the writer woke up from their sleep and was on a race to finish the drama. so all sorts of things happened in the space of 2-3 weeks. it was crazy! dark!

while it was interesting, it was clear that it had gone too far to have a typical happy ending. despite @LeftCoastOppa passionate defense of sun hyuk, I have always felt that in addition to the toxic friendship, her love for this man was also toxic for her in some aspects. he married her murderer and had a child with hara. unless hoon got cancer or some other disease and was whacked off, there was no way these two would end up together. since hoon got packed off safely to some english camp/school, the only ending then was for her to end up single.

I do think that her getting amnesia is a bit of a copout but then, maybe the writer's point was that revenge destroys everyone. however, I was glad that we got an ending with sirens and a prosecutor who said she would be questioned. it was clear to me that eun joo would be prosecuted for her actions. like you said, the legal system may be broken but that doesn't give citizens to take up the law into their own hands. she did go too far with serin's dad. so from that perspective, I liked that both men ended up saying goodbye to her. it was unconventional in some ways but fit. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 4

2 hours ago, yamiyugi said:

there was only so much that she could do to hold onto her and save her life. She didn’t have the strength to hold on and save her life and the

I thought so in the beginning but later after the 5 years, it was played out a few times that HR and SR said EJ was lost in the mountains. So they were not looking for her at the river. But she is really a tough nut to crack. :Megalol:I'm sorry, it's just so funny. She has more lives that a cat.

Any which way you look at it, they are cold blooded murderers. In some countries they would have been hanged or gassed which I think would not have put EJ into the revenge route.

I think the writer wants us to think that EJ maybe punished but in a real court of law, she will be considered innocent until proven guilty - even though we know she had planned the revenge, the court does not. The she will be called to defend herself.

I'm not going to mention the court's name where she will most likely be let off as a sign of respect to @LeftCoastOppa :blush:

but in Korea, who knows.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

33 minutes ago, maribella said:

I'm not going to mention the court's name where she will most likely be let off as a sign of respect to @LeftCoastOppa :blush:

While thats certainly sweet of you, I'm not quite sure where you're going with that.

I freely admit, it'd be difficult to get a murder charge to stick, but an accessory to murder, maybe ...

Never mind the plethora of financial crimes both Jewang & Haipeu fund could go after her for - Any investigation would reveal Eun-Jo as DDM Queen, and as she was an executive employed at Jewang when Se-Rin first went down, and CEO at Haipeu when she deliberately went after Jewang, both companies could go after her for deliberately damaging their brands/stock price with her actions. If they got a hold of her phone/computer they'll get her for financial fraud in regards to Papa Ju and wiretapping with Mr Na & Se-Rin 

She'll do far better than her enemies by far, but she wouldn't get off easy. 

... but hey, its over, and Monday we'll have a whole new batch of characters to worry about  :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

1 minute ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

She'll do far better than her enemies by far, but she wouldn't get off easy. 

My friends told me that a person has to be fit to stand trial. But wheelchair persons have been charged, so I could see her in court. With mental incapacity, it's more difficult for judges to rule. She may be under observation until another court date etc. etc. If she gets worse with interrogation, then I see her being discharged, but if she gets better...

The Red shoes sounds like The promise.  The bad guy is like the bad woman in The Promise. It was also an accident, she lost her mother because the bad woman let her die in an accident.

I'm going to watch Yu Ra's sister, what's her name(?) in second husband. Then let's compare notes.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, maribella said:

My friends told me that a person has to be fit to stand trial. But wheelchair persons have been charged, so I could see her in court. With mental incapacity, it's more difficult for judges to rule. She may be under observation until another court date etc. etc. If she gets worse with interrogation, then I see her being discharged, but if she gets better...

On that note I don't disagree - I was approaching it from the standpoint of her having regained her memory - if a doctor certified her amnesia, yeah she'd probably walk.

9 minutes ago, maribella said:

The Red shoes sounds like The promise.  The bad guy is like the bad woman in The Promise. It was also an accident, she lost her mother because the bad woman let her die in an accident.

:blink: I actually thought its disgruntled daughter going after derelict Mom - From what I read, Mom would know someone is after her but not realize its her own daughter she abandoned + some guys to fight over the heroine and give us something to fight over when the plot dies before episode 50 ... just saying.

13 minutes ago, maribella said:

I'm going to watch Yu Ra's sister, what's her name(?) in second husband. Then let's compare notes.

Again :blink: - you're talking in code again ... whats all that supposed to mean?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

I do think that her getting amnesia is a bit of a copout but then, maybe the writer's point was that revenge destroys everyone. however, I was glad that we got an ending with sirens and a prosecutor who said she would be questioned. it was clear to me that eun joo would be prosecuted for her actions. like you said, the legal system may be broken but that doesn't give citizens to take up the law into their own hands. she did go too far with serin's dad. so from that perspective, I liked that both men ended up saying goodbye to her. it was unconventional in some ways but fit.

It does look like a cop out @Lmangla there is a lesson here. Don’t you see everyone got their own Karma.  HR’s mom lost her mind for greed and love. HR’s dad lost his company for his greed and lack of empathy on taking advantages of others. HR died because she had to much pride to go to jail and in that moment of death she finally realized that EJ really cared for her. EJ had faith in her.  Se Rin found out that what she wanted most in the world was always in front her until she lost it because of her inferiority of EJ. 
EJ’s karma was to die for all her bad deeds because she really couldn’t live with herself after she did all those terrible thing but with some many people wishing for her to live no matter what ans willing to stand by her till the end was why she lived.
This writer is telling us Revenge isn’t a good thing because you have to be prepared to become a monster to hurt the ones who hurt you.  When turning into monster makes you like those monster you are trying to get back to. 

I hope this makes sense 

@maribella @LeftCoastOppa @joccu 

@yamiyugi  what you said was on point .  Everyone opinion was good. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

Got quite a lot of catch-up to do on this drama. I am A-ok if leads don't get together as long as the villains get paid back their vile deeds. Guess no more 'Elzabethan' frilled collars for Hara's mother! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

This writer is telling us Revenge isn’t a good thing because you have to be prepared to become a monster to hurt the ones who hurt you.  When turning into monster makes you like those monster you are trying to get back to. 

He shouldn't have called it Miss Monte Cristo, give it a proper name. 

But attracting viewers by hijacking Edmund Dantes' title, then telling us revenge is wrong, now that is underhanded.  If it's Woman in frilled collar, or Woman with 9 lives, Big tall villain, anything but not coopting a classic then turn it in upside down...

@LeftCoastOppa the Man in a veil FL is the FL in second husband. I may be risking my sanity here but going to give it a go.

• Like 7