[Drama 2022] ☆ ★ The Sound of Magic (Annarasumanara), 안나라수마나라 - Ji Chang Wook, Choi Sung Eun, Hwang In Yeop - Stream on Netflix from May 6

agenth

Can someone tell me if the part where teen Ri Eul met child Ah Yi was in the original manhwa? I don't remember that part at all.

• Like 1

https://cdn.kbizoom.com/media/2022/05/08043005/ji-chang-wook-08052022-thumbnail-780x470.jpg

“I cried all night watching it”… Netflix’s “The Sound of Magic” received positive reviews for its impressive directing

May 8, 2022

As Netflix’s fantasy music drama “The Sound of Magic” has been unveiled, favorable reviews are pouring out.
On May 6th, Netflix released the music drama “The Sound of Magic” starring Ji Chang-wook.

“The Sound of Magic” tells the story of a mysterious magician Lee Eul (played by Ji Chang-wook) suddenly appearing in front of Yoon Ah-yi (played by Choi Sung-eun), a girl who lost her dream, and Na Il-deung (played by Hwang In-youp), a boy who is forced to dream.

the-sound-of-magic-26042022-5.webp

Director Kim Seong-yoon, who created popular works such as JTBC’s “Itaewon Class” and KBS2’s “Love in the Moonlight”, was in charge of directing and became a hot topic even before the release of “The Sound of Magic”.

the-sound-of-magic-ji-chang-wook-lee-se-

Besides, music director Park Seong-il and lyricist Kim Eana of “Itaewon Class” and tvN’s “My Mister” were in charge of music, as well as illusionist Lee Eun-gyeol participated as a magic advisor, raising expectations.

Viewers who quickly watched “The Sound of Magic” stuck out their thumbs for the emotional directing.

They suggested that the work gave a high sense of immersion, such as “I cried all night watching it”, “I binge-watched it until dawn” and “I stayed up all night watching it then went to work.”

They also applauded the acting skills of actors Ji Chang-wook, Choi Sung-eun and Hwang In-youp, who made the work more abundant.

Spoiler

choi-sung-eun-08052022-3.webp

Viewers were also impressed by the actors’ singing skills that enchanted their ears, saying, “The directing of Hwang In-youp and Ji Chang-wook‘s songs was so good.”

Although some people commented that the work was cheesy because of the music drama genre, most netizens expressed high satisfaction, saying even the song “Journey” was perfect.

According to the online content service ranking site “Flix Patrol” on May 8th, “The Sound of Magic” ranked 7th in Netflix’s worldwide TV program category as of the previous day.

Attention is focused on what other records “The Sound of Magic”, which achieved good results just one day after its release, will set in the future.

https://kbizoom.com/i-cried-all-night-watching-it-netflixs-the-sound-of-magic-received-positive-reviews-for-its-impressive-directing/

• Like 3

click here for the full thread (video has 7 parts)

watch Ji Chang Wook "review" The Sound of Magic - actually he tells a lot about the story, his thoughts, and you can definitely find out more about TSOM as well as the webtoon, in case you need some clarity. Also, his voice is mesmerizing, so tune in!

5 hours ago, Mizzy said:

Can someone tell me if the part where teen Ri Eul met child Ah Yi was in the original manhwa? I don't remember that part at all.

i don't think i saw that part either :(

• Like 3

Drama "Annarasumanara" is popular with Netflix viewers around the world

From Zarina- 08.05.2022

1652003397-soundofmagic-collage-768x468.

Netflix's new original Korean series 'Annarasumanara' ranked seventh on the platform's global rankings just a day after its release.

As of May 7, according to FlixPatrol, a website that tracks global VOD charts and streaming platform rankings, Annarasumanara was ranked 7th in the global Netflix series rankings.

Annarasumanara's country rankings are as follows: 2nd in Qatar, the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, 3rd in 11 countries including India, Malaysia, Vietnam, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. The series hit the TOP-10 rating in 32 countries, mainly in Asia and the Middle East.

Annarasumanara was released in 190 countries and regions by Netflix on May 6th. This is a musical drama about a magician who lives in an abandoned amusement park and a disillusioned teenage girl. The drama stars Ji Chang Wook, Choi Sung Eun, and Hwang In Yup as the main characters.

Translation from Russian google

https://www.yesasia.ru/article/1066566

• Like 3

4 hours ago, agenth said:

i don't think i saw that part either :(

It wasn't in the original webtoon.  I think the PD-nim decided there had to be a way to tie in Lee Eul's comment to Ah-yi that "she used to believe in magic when she was younger" and this was the best way to handle that.  At least it was short and not dwelled upon, because who the heck wanders around an amusement park in full hospital garb and an arm sling without calling attention to himself? :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

5 hours ago, cherkell said:

It wasn't in the original webtoon.  I think the PD-nim decided there had to be a way to tie in Lee Eul's comment to Ah-yi that "she used to believe in magic when she was younger" and this was the best way to handle that.  At least it was short and not dwelled upon, because who the heck wanders around an amusement park in full hospital garb and an arm sling without calling attention to himself? :lol:

True, I thought it was more elegant that Ah Yi saw her younger self, and then comforted herself while Lee Eul was present / enabling this kind of magic. In that way he did meet the younger Ah Yi as well

On 5/7/2022 at 8:57 AM, Bojun said:

This is an unexpected gem. Just finished all 6 episodes and I like the revelation in the end.

My question is, are those the real singing voices of the leads?

here you can see JCW live singing the song "Do you believe in magic?"

• Like 4

9 hours ago, agenth said:

11 hours ago, cherkell said:

I actually liked it cos even though I read the manhwa, I found myself asking this question when I watched the drama "Why did Ri Eul singled out Ah Yi?" So this scene answered that question for me. He met her when they were younger and probably meeting her was part of his healing process and that's why he was always looking out for her.

• Like 2

Just read this at The Korea Herald:

“The Sound of Magic” was the first non-thriller series to make it to the top 10 list.

Many of Netflix’s Korean originals that enjoyed global popularity were thrillers, including “Squid Game,” “My Name,” “The Silent Sea,” “Hellbound,” and “All of Us Are Dead.”

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220509000628

• Like 4

https://cdn.kbizoom.com/media/2022/05/08153038/ji-chang-wook-08052022-thumbnail-2-780x470.jpg

Ji Chang Wook’s captivating visual in newly-released drama –  The Sound Of Magic

May 8, 2022

Not disappointing fans, Ji Chang Wook is excellently handsome in The Sound Of Magic.

Released on Netflix on May 6, “The Sound Of Magic” is currently receiving a lot of public attention. This is also the drama marking the return of actor Ji Chang Wook after two years.

ji-chang-wook-08052022-1.webp

In “The Sound Of Magic”, Ji Chang Wook plays a mysterious magician named Lee Eul. This magician lives alone, freely in a park that has been abandoned for a long time. Lee Eul meets Yoon Ah Yi (Choi Sung Eun) and the two become close as if they’ve met before.

Spoiler

ji-chang-wook-08052022-2.webp

ji-chang-wook-08052022-3.webp

ji-chang-wook-08052022-4.webp

ji-chang-wook-08052022-5.webp

This encounter changed the life of magician Lee Eul. Lee Eul seemed to have been heard, trusted, and set free from his heart’s troubles. At the same time, this encounter assists Ah Yi in healing her soul and maturing.

Spoiler

ji-chang-wook-08052022-7.webp

ji-chang-wook-08052022-8.webp

ji-chang-wook-08052022-9.webp

Ever since the first image of the character Lee Eul was announced, Ji Chang Wook has been praised by fans for his attractive appearance that is different from previous works. And the actor did not let fans down when perfectly portraying the character of romantic and mysterious magician Lee Eul.

ji-chang-wook-08052022-10.webp

https://kbizoom.com/ji-chang-wooks-captivating-visual-in-newly-released-drama-the-sound-of-magic/

• Like 2

4 Things We Loved And 1 Thing We Hated About The Premiere Of “The Sound Of Magic”

4 Things We Loved And 1 Thing We Hated About The Premiere Of “The Sound Of Magic”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1525203wpp/4-things-we-loved-and-1-thing-we-hated-about-the-premiere-of-the-sound-of-magic

Hwang In Yeop On Playing Student Roles In His 30s, Chemistry With “The Sound Of Magic” Co-Stars Ji Chang Wook And Choi Sung Eun, And More

Hwang In Yeop On Playing Student Roles In His 30s, Chemistry With “The Sound Of Magic” Co-Stars Ji Chang Wook And Choi Sung Eun, And More

https://www.soompi.com/article/1526270wpp/hwang-in-yeop-on-playing-student-roles-in-his-30s-chemistry-with-the-sound-of-magic-co-stars-ji-chang-wook-and-choi-sung-eun-and-more

• Like 2

Just finished the series yesterday. Very nicely done and beautiful to look at, with enough mystery, realism, and story to keep it going. High schoolers in Korea have it rough!

While watching the latter episodes I started wondering if Ri Eul had an evil twin about; the fact that it was the convenience store ahjussi made more sense :lol:.

The detective in this show is also one of the dads in Our Blues - fun to see him in two very different roles, simultaneously.

• Love 2

A quick review after watching the drama.

I put most under spoiler to not ruin someone's fun (and it's turned out to be quite long, hihi). 

In general I like both the concept for the story and its execution, good acting, fitting casting, all characters played their roles just the right way, even some the viewers favorite parrot.

I disagree with the drama mostly in a plot-related matters, though. It could be done better, more dynamic and less cliche packed.

It's a colorful show, a carnival in its best, sensual, balance with lights in kaleidoscope like dance, with the touching songs, dreams, and fun. This little moments to be lost in the imaginary world, leaving reality, are at the base of the charm the drama spread on the viewer. It's a magical environment, indeed. 

Spoiler

The balance between what's real and what's not is also encouraging to chose the version viewer wants to believe more. More sceptical could lean towards the boy with a tragic past, who like a Peter Pan refused to grown up and become a boring adult. For more inclined to enjoy the magic as it's real, can see him as a true magician, a man who knows how male people disappear or cut them in half and put together afterwords. Butterflies out of fairy tale, fake perks of rather a bad magician. And right inside it well played and written characters. 

There is a girl who struggling financially (personally, I think the proofs of her economic situation are too obvious, but it may be the matter of the enviorement and the target audience it was addressed that makes it so), a boy who is forced to fulfill parents dreams, like a tool to their inner satisfaction. And then a man who asks "Do you believe in magic?" In the world of sceptics, logical adults, or adult-like people, and who obviously has very little experience with the real audience (judging through his failed attempts at performing magic - or was it the real magic that he aimed, so different for the one poeple usually associate magicians?). 

There are elements that I think make the drama dragging (police investigation before finding the missing girl was rather unnecessary, just filled the screentime that would be dedicated to show more of the main characters dynamic, instead of quick recap of practicing magic, would it be more satisfying to see them discover it more thorough fully). 

There is also the moment of killing Bella. Severing connections with the place to ease the escape - it might be the purpose, yet it felt rather unnecessary, and just the plainly cruel. It shows us different side of the carefree adult, though. The side that many probably sympathize in a way, even if only by associating the feeling with a childhood memory. 

And probably the most important thing. 

The drama didn't give the defined answer, which is a good choice for an open ending (or a promise for the second season, who knows). 

There are many thing that could be written about the drama. It's a good 6 episode to spend time, even if sometimes it's a bit stretched or feel to simple, by giving to many cliche or stereotypical moments as plot device. 

Like I've said. In general is good drama, has nice songs performed by actors who definitely knows how to sing, and the magical, colorful background that has its own role. Nothing out of ordinary (the plot it rather unoriginal and simplified at time, which might be a bit annoying), or nothing too revealing, standard take to the social problems, like poverty, pressured to performed the best act, the pervert neighbourhood ahjussi, or the stigmated outsider who lives like many wanted but are to scared of consequences, but all of this is served in nice looking and sounding setting. 

To Bella/Mi Yeon. 

:heart4:

• Like 1
  • Love 3

some more wonderful stills

6 hours ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

Nothing out of ordinary (the plot it rather unoriginal and simplified at time

but you have MAGIC and MUSIC

• Blob 2

4 minutes ago, agenth said:

but you have MAGIC and MUSIC

Yes, I do. And it's wonderful, how they handled the theme, balancing between realism and fantasy. 

I'm just a writer at heart, so plot is my weak point.

:sweats:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

2 minutes ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

Yes, I do. And it's wonderful, how they handled the theme, balancing between realism and fantasy. 

I'm just a writer at heart, so plot is my weak point.

I'm kidding. Thanks for your review! 

I think there should have been more focus on Rieul and Il Deung, who are more interesting to me than Ah Yi. 

• Insightful 1

• agenth changed the title to [Drama 2022] ☆ ★ The Sound of Magic (Annarasumanara), 안나라수마나라 - Ji Chang Wook, Choi Sung Eun, Hwang In Yeop - Stream on Netflix from May 6