[Drama 2022] ☆ ★ The Sound of Magic (Annarasumanara), 안나라수마나라 - Ji Chang Wook, Choi Sung Eun, Hwang In Yeop - Stream on Netflix from May 6

agenth

The Sound of Magic Review: Ji Chang-wook and Choi Sung-eun in a Tale of Magic, Pain and Emotions
https://www.leisurebyte.com/the-sound-of-magic-review-magic-emotions/

Spoiler

The Sound of Magic Review: Ji Chang-wook and Choi Sung-eun in a Tale of Magic, Pain and Emotions

Pooja Darade
May 6, 2022

The Sound of Magic is directed by Kim Sung-youn and written by Min-jung KIM. The Netflix Korean musical fantasy drama stars Ji Chang-wook as Lee Eul, Choi Sung-eun as Yoon Ah-yi, Nam Da-reum as young Lee Eul, and Hwang In-youp as Na Il-deung, Kim Bo-yoon as Kim So-hee, and many others. Also known as Annara Sumanara, the Kdrama is based on the Naver webtoon of the same name by Ha Il-kwon.

There are 6 episodes of 62-77 minutes. The music is by Park Seong-il. The show is available in the Korean language with English subtitles and dubbing. The synopsis reads, “Student. Caretaker. Breadwinner. Life is nothing but a series of challenges for Ah-yi. But one person hears her cries and lights up the world with magic.”

The Sound of Magic Review Contains No Spoilers
In Netflix Korean show The Sound of Magic, we meet Yoon Ah-yi, a high school student whose life is full of hardships. Ah-yi lives with her younger sister and has to study and look after the house. Ah-yi is fed up with being a teenager and wants to grow up as soon as possible. She believes that once she becomes an adult, she won’t have to deal with so many challenges in life.

One day, she comes across a magician named Ri-eul. With his magic and friendship, Ri-eul makes Yoon Ah-yi’s life a little less painful. Ri-eul wants to be a child again. The two help each other understand life in ways no one could have imagined. However, is everything Ah-yi and we see true, or it’s just an illusion or a trick to divert attention from the dark past and secrets? We find answers as the show proceeds.

As a kid, many of us must have wished to grow up as soon as possible. Like Yoon Ah-yi, we believe that being an adult means dealing with less stress and problems and having a convenient and carefree life. As an adult, most of us wish to travel back in time and be a child again. Many people hope for some magic to happen that would make them a child/adult again or make their problems disappear. The characters in The Sound of Magic on Netflix are just like us.

The Korean musical drama beautifully conveys that life is not about escaping problems. Unfortunately, some people have to deal with tougher crises compared to others. But troubles are a part of everyone’s life. All we need is someone to comfort us or believe in us. In the show, every time Ri-eul asks, ‘Do you believe in magic?’ it seems like he’s asking us ‘, do you believe in yourself?’ As the show ends, we realise that’s actually what Ji Chang-wook’s character meant.

The-Sound-of-Magic-Review-3.jpg

Along with Yoon Ah-yi, her wealthy friend Na Il-deung is also unhappy with life. Now, one may wonder what issues would someone so rich have in life. But as I mentioned earlier, everyone’s life is tough. The first two episodes have many light and mesmerising moments full of magic. However, from episode 3, the narrative becomes intense and dark.

The last two episodes are emotionally-driven, have less magic scenes and few songs. They are full of twists, revelations and heartbreaking backstories. The Sound of Magic sounds like such an adorable title. But the show is more than just about fascinating magic. It depicts how sometimes we lose ourselves when people around us stop noticing and understanding us. So we build your own beautiful world where things are magical. However, is that truly going to help usbout? That’s something the Kdrama wonderfully attempts to tell.

Ji Chang-wook as magician Ri-eul makes us smile the moment he appears on the screen. He’s charming, has a great style and gives a fantastic performance. Often when he speaks to Yoon Ah-yi, it seems like he’s talking to us. Choi Sung-eun as Yoon Ah-yi is incredible throughout. Her friendly chemistry with Ri-eul is a delight to watch. Actor Hwang In-youp is also good as Na Il-deung. The rest of the cast plays their part well.

The-Sound-of-Magic-Review-2.jpg

The Sound of Magic Review: Final Thoughts

Overall, The Sound of Magic is a poignant drama that will touch you. It is an eye-opening story with which many people will relate. The performances are brilliant, the music is enjoyable, and the story is engrossing. The trailer is just a small glimpse as the show is packed with great magic and sentiments.

Watch the show here on Netflix.

https://www.leisurebyte.com/the-sound-of-magic-review-magic-emotions/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, agenth said:

Yes!

There is a video of JCW recording the music. He has been singing previously in musicals as well as OST for his other projects like Healer, Empress Ki, etc...

I don't know about Choi Sung Eum and Hwang In Yeop. 

Although Choi Sung Eun and Hwang In Yeop are not known as "singers" per se, both did take extensive singing lessons and learned how to lip-synch the playback whilst acting out those scenes.  The music PD-nim was also on the set at the time those numbers were filmed to ensure timing and authenticity.

• Like 3

The actor that plays Na Il Deung looks a little bit like a younger Lee Joon-Gi!!! I am on ep 2 and am really enjoying this. I had no idea 

Spoiler

It is also a little musical and not too much - just a little bit. The main actress is new to me but she is doing a great job. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, Yinye said:

The actor that plays Na Il Deung looks a little bit like a younger Lee Joon-Gi!!! I am on ep 2 and am really enjoying this. I had no idea 

Reveal hidden contents

Hwang In Yeop usually plays roles as HS student :D Most popular: True Beauty. In his next drama (Why Oh Soo Jae?) he will play a university student, so at least he graduated HS haha.  

Choi Sung Eun is a newcomer to drama scene, best known previously as a character in Beyond Evil!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished it. Overall a solid, entertaining drama, with a great message. The songs were nice too. Six episodes was the perfect length and the only thing I wanted was a bit more on what happened to 

Spoiler

The magician and II Deung after leaving school. I am still okay with the ending as tho. 

II Swing’s line about how there’s no flowers on the paved road was really good! 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, agenth said:

Hwang In Yeop usually plays roles as HS student :D Most popular: True Beauty. In his next drama (Why Oh Soo Jae?) he will play a university student, so at least he graduated HS haha.  

Lmao I was thinking that as well. When will he grow up.

Watched till Ep3, feels like a Disney show, with the similar ballads, will finish and then give my review.  I thought it would be a weekly show, dang they released all the 6 in one go...:O 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

6 hours ago, madmad min said:

Watched till Ep3, feels like a Disney show, with the similar ballads, will finish and then give my review.  I thought it would be a weekly show, dang they released all the 6 in one go...:O 

I agree, some songs may sound Disney-like, especially the magical / fantastical ones, which are very uplifting. There are some darker songs that are more TSOM-unique though. But I have to say that the song Annarasumanara at first reminded me of Another Day of Sunshine from the Lalaland soundtrack.

Anyway, the whole soundtrack is now on spotify, so stream there :D

6 hours ago, madmad min said:

Lmao I was thinking that as well. When will he grow up.

he still has a rather young face, but I agree he should get more mature roles. however, he is being typecast as a student now. It's hard to break out of that kind of cast. I didn't even realise how old he was until I googled him. 

breathtaking cinematography:

FSPhvoBVUAAEqkq?format=jpg&name=large

FSIl8RpVgAAgcsT?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

I finished the entire drama and am now re-watching. Before that, I had thoughts of binge-watching but after seeing the first episode, I realized this is one where you need to take time to savor. But in any case, I did finish it in 2 days. 

It's such a great production. Kudos to the director and the crew for such an amazing project. It's such an elaborate piece of art, you need time to appreciate...from the execution of the story, to the details of each scene, not to mention choreography of the musical segments. A job so well done! There were many times I had to press the pause button and tell myself, "wow, THIS is so good!" because the scenes gave me all sorts of feels.

Of course the casts were exceptional too. JCW as the magician always has a special place in my heart but special mention must be given to Choi Sung Eun. She was outstanding as Ah Yi. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

:star:Spotlight: Young Bright Stars of Tomorrow:star:

Chingus, let's show our love and appreciation for the bright young child artists in K-dramas. :heart:

Let's celebrate their talent in our new Spotlight: Young Bright Stars of Tomorrow.  :partyblob:

Don’t forget to vote for your favourite Former K-drama child artists. :piggydance:

Re : @confusedheart @partyon @Sleepy Owl @agenth

• Like 2